Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

good

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours black as night with a big tan-colored head, although it doesn't seem to retain for very long. Moderate lacing. Roasted, malty, typical stout smell, with some sort of distinct, slightly pungent fruit note I can't quite put my finger on - maybe dates? Mild chocolate notes and kind of an earthy character to the bouquet overall. Taste: Full-bodied, thick-ish feeling front end and a heavy-leaning mouthfeel, which all sort of smoothly vanishes over the palate in the middle, transforming into a slightly odd, pungently sweet finish. I think it's in the finish the high ABV kicks in a touch, turning it into a slightly challenging brew - but still not something you'd readily take for an 8% ABV. A sort of dry, roasty aftertaste lingers, but not bitterly so. Lion Stout used to be one of my stout go-tos before I'd tried very many kinds, and this is my first return to it in a year in which I've been trying a lot of stouts. I'm not sure it is holding up as well as I'd hoped. It's got some character and body and an ABV that packs a little bit of punch; but the flavor combination, to me, is not entirely pleasant; the weird-sweet finish in particular puts me off a little bit. B-.

bfflo, Dec 23, 2010

LBCaterson, Jan 18, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

gravit9, Dec 17, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -68.2%

ChrisTHE, Mar 28, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance - Pours black with tan head. As many others said, impressive lacing as the beer goes down.

Smell - I thought it was lacking. You definitely get chocolate and fruit. I didn't think the coffee stood out as much as others. I thought it was very average...not great, not bad.

Taste - A little too sweet for my stout likes. Definitely get that semi-sweetness of chocolate.

Mouthfeel - Again, nothing amazing but by no means is it bad. Initially, the beer isn't very active but should deserve credit for mid and after taste, especially nearing the bottom of the bottle.

Drinkability - Here is where the beer shines. Not overwhelming and not extremely heavy. Thought it was very drinkable in terms of "stout-ness". I didn't realize how much I was drinking without taking a second to enjoy it until about half way through it.

Overall, I think it's a solid stout. I probably won't purchase it very often unless I'm trying to get something I haven't had in a while. Love the fact that it's from Sri Lanka, though.

haningj2, Feb 06, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Stevez455, Aug 20, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

solid export stout!

something_is_brewing, Sep 03, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

Extremely dark reddish brown mother of a beer. She has a firm light-brown head.
In my nose she is fresh, with rich bread and smooth heavily roasted malt and nice creamy texture; she welcomes me. Now the beautiful mulata caresses my taste buds… So smooth, with dark chocolate, coffee, butterscotchs, a bit of chalk. Still with nerve though, she is not a mere pleaser… So perfectly harmonious curves – I am under her spell!

Later she must leave me - but this dark queen of a beer stays on my tongue and in my mind for long.

foamyhead, Mar 19, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

A - A nice extremely dark brown to black. Very thick. Great 2 finger dark tan head that disapates slowly.

S - Very strong smell of chocolate and caramel. Almost a roasted nut smell. Delicious none the less.

T - One of the better tasting stouts I have ever had. Starts with a blast of earthy flavors and then blends chocolate and caramel in the mid drink. Finishes with a great mocha/coffee taste.

M - Thick and creamy. Flows around just like any high-caliber stout should.

D - The only reason I gave this a 4 is, as with any stout, you can't drink very many! It is a great start or end beer, but don't plan on drinking this bad boy all night!

GavDomDadGH, Aug 22, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I went from having a dismissive attitude about this beer to considering it a favorite. That it is so cheap and accessible is a welcome bonus.

I'll skip the detailed review and just say that it ain't your everyday stout. It has.a fruity sweetness to it but is not overly rich. There's a sight tartness to it that make it quite refreshing IMO. The head is creamy and leaves a nice lace. Most of all, this beer is digestible, like a good abbey or Trappist ale.

Highly recommended but leave yuor expectations at the door.

adsomers, Sep 10, 2011

Walterho, Jul 07, 2014
2.23/5  rDev -43.3%

Poured it and then sat down to drink it while reading the reviews on here. Noticed the first swig full of flavor and inviting. It was all downhill from there. It started getting sickly sweet or something offensive. I'm not sure if it was the mouthfeel or the flavors. Before a gag reflex set in, I rushed to the sink and poured the glass and what remained in the bottle down the sink. I switched to a Sam Adams Winter Lager but that would not enough to cleanse my palate. There's a reason a large bottle of this is only $3.50. Stay away.

pjohnston007, Nov 29, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

I actually stumbled apon this beer by accident. I ordered something else and was brought the Lion Stout, but after one taste it I was rather pleased by the mix up.
Appearence was dark and rich. The taste and mouthfeel were superb. I was reminded of a Scotch Ale, but much darker with a more coffee and chocolately taste.

DrZarkov, Jun 10, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours out a deep opaque almost black shade of brown with a healthy dark tan head. As the head recedes it leaves in it's wake a mild amount of lacing.

S- I find a distinct pleasant aroma of soy sauce and cocoa.

T- Up front bitterness with coffee, black strap molasses and a hint of chocolate.

M- Medium bodied with a nice degree of carbonation for the style.

D- I could definitely enjoy this stout on a regular basis, Micheal Jackson was right to put his endorsement on this one.

6470zzy, Sep 09, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +21.6%

Man... Michael Jackson's favorite stout of all time. What more can I say?

Absolutely phenomenal!

A = Midnight out in the middle of the country (with no light polution). This beer is as black as they come. Rich head and lace upon pour and consumption.

S = Wonderful scent of deeply roasted malts complimenting with a buttery richness and essence of wood (hickory?).

T = Highly concentrated flavors of holland chocolate, roasted expresso, and a hint of oatmeal. This beer is all about the roast.

M = Rich - viscous - creamy - smooth.

D = Definalely not a session beer, this quaff is best served at cellar temp and allowed time to "breath." As this occurs, a velvety smoothness will eminate. To be slowly savored!

Beerking721, Jul 24, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -16%

As my esteemed beer colleagues have noted, this beer is malt-ball malty. However, I dare to disagree with some impressions of its appearance and carbonation.

The appearance is lovely, black as night, and it has a frothy beige-brown head that foams and lasts long enough to tell you that this beer is appropriately carbonated.

My only qualm resides in this beer's overly enthusiastic chocolate flavor. I'm usually a fan of chocolate, but this beer's bitter chocolate mixes with the strong smokey ash flavor to make this taste more like I dropped a Hershey's bar into a campfire and then licked it clean.

Nevertheless, it augments a piece of pizza and will effectively hide any cumin flavor (if that's what you want) with its powerful smoke-screen.

gruberbeer, Sep 10, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

A- Beautiful dark tone with a nice tan head.

S- Mocha , roasty smell and bitter chocolate.

T- Nice tasre of molasses , chocolate and coffe, very complex flavors mixed in this stout.

M- Nice body, little to medium carbonation , cramy and delicious.

D- you can drink more than one because its so good but remember the 8 % ABV , this beauty can get you in trouble!

tanousa, Dec 05, 2009

BigTuna1066, Jun 13, 2014
4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

Chocolate City meets the Pacific.

I must admit I had a slew of predispositions about this beer.
I was thinking a Sri Lankan brew, really?

After watching the rolling, silky, fat-girl-in-satin-nightie pour- the first taste coaxed me into submission until I was lapping at the lion's paw.

A beautiful soft, round mouth feel is accented with rich, delicately sweet notes of cacao and coffee muted with a beautiful slightly sweet finish.

There’s something about a beer with a purpose that turns me on.
I mean anytime I eat any coconut curry (Indian or Thai) I will either be drinking this beer or thinking about drinking this beer. The Lion Stout even at room temperature is absolute fantastic combination with all hot curries dishes. This will be in attendance in the cellar for its occasions.

*side note: This brewery stopped brewing its beer to bottle water for victims of the tsunami.

Viva Lion!

sleepingbear, Jan 19, 2006
Photo of
3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Aug 10, 2012

Thirsty_Teacher, Nov 04, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

JasonEames, Feb 20, 2013

malaki3386, Jul 06, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

An intense stout for sure. Kind of harsh the first time; liked it much more the second time.

dorlandenator, Tuesday at 05:24 AM