Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 874 | Hads: 1,516
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass:

A- Pours jet-black, yet has an interesting high, thick, hazelnut colored head.

S- I really like this one... it has some chocolate and bold coffee aromas, a good strong alcohol smell, and even some caramel smells to round it out.

T- Very strong and sweet up front. The bold, yet balanced coffee and chocolate flavors kick in mid way though. It finishes with a quick bitter punch.

M- Medium carbonation, yet thick or chewy feeling. Quite fitting for what it is.

D- I really like that this stout has so much complexity and depth to it. It's also a great value for the money (at least where I live... something like $10 for a 6-pack). Tastes like it should cost more.

Also interesting to note for those homebrewers out there who may be reusing these bottles: watch out, they are really slippery for some reason. I know it sounds odd, but just try it... take a bottle and start rinsing it out in the sink... it almost has that feeling like when you are trying to wash bleach off of something. (1,020 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from bottle to .4l tulip glass.

Pours as black as you can get with a ridiculous brown head with big bubbles. Head sticks around to give a nice lacing.

Aromas of roast malt, coffee and chocolate on the nose and a bit of alcohol as it is a fairly high ABV.

Tastes great with a thickness to it that gives it some sustainability and is refreshingly not over carbonated. Its sweet but not too sweet and nice and dry throughout while letting the roast flavors through.

I really love this beer and despite the 8% ABV I enjoy it as a session beer or with any of my meals. (582 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a deep dark reddish color with a massive head that has tight and large bubbles that lace the glass as they recede into the beer. A nice bottle with different shaped labels which is a change from most countries. You receive a nice whiff of chocolate malt when first stick your nose in intialy. Smooth with a roast character that melds around the tongue, you can definitely pickup the alcohol taste which warms you through and through. An excellent interpretation of this great style from a surprising country. (514 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +2.5%

Opaque black in color with 3 finger head and very sporadic lacing on the move. Fruit, coffee, roasted malts and chocolate nose. Chocolate and Coffee flavor with a residual roasted malt note left behind. Thick mouthfeel with a little co2 burn. Decently drinkable, maybe a bit too heavy to drink more then a few. (310 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +1.8%

Picked this beer up from the local craft beer shop. Was looking to try a new stout, so I popped this, and drank it out of a Guinness glass.

A - Dark, Stouty, Cold-Brew
S - Coffee, Carribbean stout smell like Guiness Foreign Extra
T - Coffee, Mocha, Light Spices on Back
M - Smooth
O - Very nice stout. I approve

8 bucks in Brooklyn, NY for a 625 ml bottle. Would be curious what you guys have been paying out there.

Happy drinkin'! (434 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -1%

Beautiful dark pour out of the bottle with a classic rich tan head. Very sweet and creamy with hints of licorice, chocolate and nutty thrown into a well crafted Stout. Would recommend anyone who likes stouts to give this a try. A big stout that will surely please even the toughest of critics. (293 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -26.7%

Hadn't seen this stout before so I thought I'd give it a try.

A- Oil black with a small light tan head that dissipates to just a film.

S- Coffee, dried fruit, and very small amount of bitter chocolate.

T- Was not impressed. Burnt coffee fading into dried fruit which then becomes incredibly tanic and sour. Not a fan.

M- Medium mouthfeel, slightly creamy, decent mouthfeel for the genre.

D- If you like the taste I imagine the drinkability would be ok. Unlike many other stouts the 8% ABV definitely shows.

Other BA's seem to like this brew, I, on the other hand did not. Maybe my taste buds are not sophisticated enough lol. For $7 a 6-pack, give it a try and see what you think. (686 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -0.3%

Lion Stout pours a dark, opaque, espresso brown, with a light brown creamy head. The scent is surprisingly minimal with the rich flavor that follows. Chocolate, coffee, sweet malt, hops and a moderate duration of fine tingling on the tongue. It finishes smooth.

This is a very reasonably priced, relatively complex but, very drinkable stout. What is most surprising is that it is from Ceylon (Sri Lanka). (405 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I probably tend to over-rate this stout, having spent a year and a half cycling through Southern Asia, but it stands out so much compared to the general run of lackluster beers and second rate stouts that the difference is quite dramatic.

In a geographical area where finding even an 'adequate' beer is problematic, to tumble on a world class stout was a very pleasant shock. I never found this on tap, which I imagine would have been even better, but it ranks second in my experience to a nicely pulled Guinness pint in a pub in Ireland. (540 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

This beer poured a near black and relatively thick consistency. It produced a nice head, and just looked great in the mug. It had a deep flavor that paired exceptionally with my cheese plate. It had a filling mouth feel(which is great to me) and finished really clean. (268 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -6%

Picked up a six pack from Val 16 market on 16th and Valencia in San Francisco CA for only 6.99. This beer was picked up February 11 2011, the bottle is dated February 2009. The appearance is black, very black with an inch of initial head that fades quickly. You can see the booze sticking to the sides when i swirl my glass (chalice).
The first thing i smell is cedar, followed by a some what sour milk chocolate scent. It finishes with a dark coffee/toffee smell with a slight tobacco note. I also get a malted chocolate scent.
The taste is unique, at first its kinda grassy, then i get a strange sour note but its not unpleasant. Then i get a big hit of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee and burnt toffee. The booze is very well hidden for a beer that is 8 percent.
The mouth feel is smooth and for a two year old beer there is a decent amount of bubbles. It has a surprisingly dry finish for a stout with such high alcohol. The drink-ability is pretty darn good for an 8 percenter. I can barely taste any booze on this one. Its not some thing you can chug, but its quite smooth. (1,083 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Wow, this stout rocked me. I wasn't expecting much from a Sri Lankain beer, just wanted to taste it for the novelty, and what do you know, I think this is my current favorite stout. Nice creamy mouth feel with out being cloying or sticky. Just a touch of alchol finish, but not to much. Strong semi-sweet/smoky chocolate flavors without overpowering some lovely hop bitterness. Please try this beer. (399 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours black as night with a big tan-colored head, although it doesn't seem to retain for very long. Moderate lacing. Roasted, malty, typical stout smell, with some sort of distinct, slightly pungent fruit note I can't quite put my finger on - maybe dates? Mild chocolate notes and kind of an earthy character to the bouquet overall. Taste: Full-bodied, thick-ish feeling front end and a heavy-leaning mouthfeel, which all sort of smoothly vanishes over the palate in the middle, transforming into a slightly odd, pungently sweet finish. I think it's in the finish the high ABV kicks in a touch, turning it into a slightly challenging brew - but still not something you'd readily take for an 8% ABV. A sort of dry, roasty aftertaste lingers, but not bitterly so. Lion Stout used to be one of my stout go-tos before I'd tried very many kinds, and this is my first return to it in a year in which I've been trying a lot of stouts. I'm not sure it is holding up as well as I'd hoped. It's got some character and body and an ABV that packs a little bit of punch; but the flavor combination, to me, is not entirely pleasant; the weird-sweet finish in particular puts me off a little bit. B-. (1,185 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance - Pours black with tan head. As many others said, impressive lacing as the beer goes down.

Smell - I thought it was lacking. You definitely get chocolate and fruit. I didn't think the coffee stood out as much as others. I thought it was very average...not great, not bad.

Taste - A little too sweet for my stout likes. Definitely get that semi-sweetness of chocolate.

Mouthfeel - Again, nothing amazing but by no means is it bad. Initially, the beer isn't very active but should deserve credit for mid and after taste, especially nearing the bottom of the bottle.

Drinkability - Here is where the beer shines. Not overwhelming and not extremely heavy. Thought it was very drinkable in terms of "stout-ness". I didn't realize how much I was drinking without taking a second to enjoy it until about half way through it.

Overall, I think it's a solid stout. I probably won't purchase it very often unless I'm trying to get something I haven't had in a while. Love the fact that it's from Sri Lanka, though. (1,024 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Extremely dark reddish brown mother of a beer. She has a firm light-brown head.
In my nose she is fresh, with rich bread and smooth heavily roasted malt and nice creamy texture; she welcomes me. Now the beautiful mulata caresses my taste buds… So smooth, with dark chocolate, coffee, butterscotchs, a bit of chalk. Still with nerve though, she is not a mere pleaser… So perfectly harmonious curves – I am under her spell!

Later she must leave me - but this dark queen of a beer stays on my tongue and in my mind for long. (528 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours out a deep opaque almost black shade of brown with a healthy dark tan head. As the head recedes it leaves in it's wake a mild amount of lacing.

S- I find a distinct pleasant aroma of soy sauce and cocoa.

T- Up front bitterness with coffee, black strap molasses and a hint of chocolate.

M- Medium bodied with a nice degree of carbonation for the style.

D- I could definitely enjoy this stout on a regular basis, Micheal Jackson was right to put his endorsement on this one. (485 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

A - A nice extremely dark brown to black. Very thick. Great 2 finger dark tan head that disapates slowly.

S - Very strong smell of chocolate and caramel. Almost a roasted nut smell. Delicious none the less.

T - One of the better tasting stouts I have ever had. Starts with a blast of earthy flavors and then blends chocolate and caramel in the mid drink. Finishes with a great mocha/coffee taste.

M - Thick and creamy. Flows around just like any high-caliber stout should.

D - The only reason I gave this a 4 is, as with any stout, you can't drink very many! It is a great start or end beer, but don't plan on drinking this bad boy all night! (647 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I went from having a dismissive attitude about this beer to considering it a favorite. That it is so cheap and accessible is a welcome bonus.

I'll skip the detailed review and just say that it ain't your everyday stout. It has.a fruity sweetness to it but is not overly rich. There's a sight tartness to it that make it quite refreshing IMO. The head is creamy and leaves a nice lace. Most of all, this beer is digestible, like a good abbey or Trappist ale.

Highly recommended but leave yuor expectations at the door. (521 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -41.8%

Poured it and then sat down to drink it while reading the reviews on here. Noticed the first swig full of flavor and inviting. It was all downhill from there. It started getting sickly sweet or something offensive. I'm not sure if it was the mouthfeel or the flavors. Before a gag reflex set in, I rushed to the sink and poured the glass and what remained in the bottle down the sink. I switched to a Sam Adams Winter Lager but that would not enough to cleanse my palate. There's a reason a large bottle of this is only $3.50. Stay away. (537 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +13.6%

I actually stumbled apon this beer by accident. I ordered something else and was brought the Lion Stout, but after one taste it I was rather pleased by the mix up.
Appearence was dark and rich. The taste and mouthfeel were superb. I was reminded of a Scotch Ale, but much darker with a more coffee and chocolately taste. (321 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

Man... Michael Jackson's favorite stout of all time. What more can I say?

Absolutely phenomenal!

A = Midnight out in the middle of the country (with no light polution). This beer is as black as they come. Rich head and lace upon pour and consumption.

S = Wonderful scent of deeply roasted malts complimenting with a buttery richness and essence of wood (hickory?).

T = Highly concentrated flavors of holland chocolate, roasted expresso, and a hint of oatmeal. This beer is all about the roast.

M = Rich - viscous - creamy - smooth.

D = Definalely not a session beer, this quaff is best served at cellar temp and allowed time to "breath." As this occurs, a velvety smoothness will eminate. To be slowly savored! (717 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

As my esteemed beer colleagues have noted, this beer is malt-ball malty. However, I dare to disagree with some impressions of its appearance and carbonation.

The appearance is lovely, black as night, and it has a frothy beige-brown head that foams and lasts long enough to tell you that this beer is appropriately carbonated.

My only qualm resides in this beer's overly enthusiastic chocolate flavor. I'm usually a fan of chocolate, but this beer's bitter chocolate mixes with the strong smokey ash flavor to make this taste more like I dropped a Hershey's bar into a campfire and then licked it clean.

Nevertheless, it augments a piece of pizza and will effectively hide any cumin flavor (if that's what you want) with its powerful smoke-screen. (751 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

A- Beautiful dark tone with a nice tan head.

S- Mocha , roasty smell and bitter chocolate.

T- Nice tasre of molasses , chocolate and coffe, very complex flavors mixed in this stout.

M- Nice body, little to medium carbonation , cramy and delicious.

D- you can drink more than one because its so good but remember the 8 % ABV , this beauty can get you in trouble! (365 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Chocolate City meets the Pacific.

I must admit I had a slew of predispositions about this beer.
I was thinking a Sri Lankan brew, really?

After watching the rolling, silky, fat-girl-in-satin-nightie pour- the first taste coaxed me into submission until I was lapping at the lion's paw.

A beautiful soft, round mouth feel is accented with rich, delicately sweet notes of cacao and coffee muted with a beautiful slightly sweet finish.

There’s something about a beer with a purpose that turns me on.
I mean anytime I eat any coconut curry (Indian or Thai) I will either be drinking this beer or thinking about drinking this beer. The Lion Stout even at room temperature is absolute fantastic combination with all hot curries dishes. This will be in attendance in the cellar for its occasions.

*side note: This brewery stopped brewing its beer to bottle water for victims of the tsunami.

Viva Lion! (920 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: Black, though slivers of light barely make it through the edges. Creamy mocha head forms a one finger and though it goes away quickly, a small bit remains throughout.

Smell: Deliciously smelling beer. Dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, slight hops and strong malt aromas fill the nostrils. Not overly complex but still very pleasant.

Taste: Chocolate and mocha right off, some bitterness and some sweetness as well. It's extremely delicious and the flavors work well together in a great synergy.

Mouthfeel: Probably the weak spot. It's a medium bodied brew that is very creamy and somewhat smooth. It's certainly above average but it stands out as being the weak link. (685 characters)

Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited