Lion Lager - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

poor

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Euro Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Lager Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev -25.4%

My bottle says 4.8% ABV.

It pours out a pale gold lager, darker than most macro lagers, with a small ivory head and no lace. The aroma is lightly grainy with some vegetal notes and what might be spicy hops. The taste of cooked vegetables and some sweet malt. There's a soapy almost plasticy feel as well. Hops provide only a coarse bitterness. The mouthfeel is fuller than expected with moderate carbonation. The finish is bland and adjuncty.

Another bland international lager with no redeeming qualities. I can't believe this is from the same people that make Sinha (Lion) stout. Well I guess even Girardin make an insipid lager.

I noticed some grey flecks under the cap that looked kind of like mold.

CAMRAhardliner, Oct 29, 2006
2.05/5  rDev -29.6%

Part of a two bottle gift pack available from the LCBO alongside Sinha Stout and glassware. Labelled "Sinha Lager" rather than "Lion Lager".

Decent enough looking pour. Gold colour, short-lived white head that settles to a ring, no lace.

Generally insipid. Uninteresting aroma, macro flavoured, bland, slightly metallic.

Pretty much an uninspired effort.

TerryW, Oct 22, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours golden/bronze & effervescent with a 4 fingers+ white head. Good lacing & pretty good head retention

S: Slight malty sweetness

T: Slight sweetness, then apple skins. Hints of lemons & cornyness follow. Finishes dry & slightlty lemony

MF: Light bodied, slightlty prickly not a strong point

Drinks okay, but this is begging for more malt. Probably goes down great in a climate like Sri Lanka, maybe try it with some curry or vindaloo

russpowell, Aug 27, 2006
2.93/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Very pale lager - small head that got out of town quickly, with little or no lacing.

S: Grassy, a touch of sweetness on the nose.

T: Not much going on here. Some noticeable malt up front, flattens out to bland in the finish.

M: Thin and lifeless.

D: I suppose I could knock back several of these, if I didn't fall asleep first.

olacub, Aug 20, 2006
1.88/5  rDev -35.4%

On the discount table for a buck. Sure why not, in the fridge out for dinner. Looks crytal golden with a decent head, no lacing really. Smells like a mistake, a sweet grainy little corny but might be from the lager yeast, the hops add a smell like rotten melons. The taste would be undrinkable anywhere near room temp. This is gainy and the finish is dry with a ringing of putrified melon. I added some salt and a few ice cubes a shot of lime juice and it went well with my tacos.

Higravity, Jun 13, 2006
3.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance- Achieved a perfect pour two finger head pour into my Peter Griffin "Let's drink till we don't feel feelings anymore," mug. But the retention was about 30 seconds tops. Color that of pale, midday sunshine with some normal adjuncty lacing.

Smell- Pretty bland with a little hint of sourness mixed with grass and pale mlats with some light, pellet hopping.

Taste- Starts out a watery, mild, dry malt flavor with some faint bitterness in the back of the tongue. Then some sourness combines with the aforementioned flavors for a quick yet surprisingly crisp and refreshing finish.

This was a very easy beer to drink. After reading my review and the flavors I tasted, its surprising how fast I drank this beer.

scruffwhor, May 02, 2006

Full golden color, with white foam, quite scarce, and quickly falling down.
Quite sweet malt in the smell, with something like grape-flavored chewing gum.
The taste is light, quite carbonated. Sweet malt, and again some sweet fruits.
Normal body, not so much to say about the aftertaste.
Hop?

stcules, Jan 29, 2006
2.95/5  rDev +1.4%

330 ml bottle. Lion Lager pours out a clear dark yellow color with an inch of white head. The aroma is grain with some lemon. The flavor is similar to the aroma: grain and lemon. However, the flavor is so light, I think this beer may taste closer to water than any other beer I've ever had. I don't taste any unpleasant flavors in this beer, it's just like water. Refreshing, I suppose. Light mouthfeel. Boring macro lager.

beveragecaptain, Dec 04, 2005
3.05/5  rDev +4.8%

*did not mind would not buy*

Appereance: Tarnished gold with a white head, looks like a lager.. who cares.

Smell: Call me surprised. I smell flowers and perfume and nanners like it is a mild heffy, not the typical ball park golden beer smell. Surprised.

Taste: After the smell you can't call me surprised, but you can call me slightly impressed. This is not my style of beer, not the type crowd I run with, but I am not offended by its company. I taste the flowers, I taste a light fresh grain, I taste a small SMALL amount of a yesty thing in the back of my mouth.. and I taste nothing that reminds me of pee-pee! Only complaint is a tiny tiny amount of trash in the back of the mouth taste, but I mean tiny.

MF: Nice, oily enough to not be water, and if you hold it in your mouth and make a fish face the bubbles tingle your tounge, nothing wrong here. Maybe water fans would think it is to thick, I dunno.

D: how could it not be, does not suck and has no booze in it.

NOTES: Funny thing is my buddy gave it to me (my best buddy) and it is a year old! was kept in a fridge, nothing has gone wrong with it. I have not had this beer before so I don't know how it is fresh.// I would not buy this beer, but would be happy to drink up to 8.5 of them in one sitting if someone gave them to me.// Good lager.

AndoBrew, Nov 07, 2005
2.23/5  rDev -23.4%

I absolutely adore Lion Stout, so I figured I'd be remiss if I didn't give Lion's only other beer at least a shot. Here goes.

Pours a disturbingly clear amber, with a big, soapy head. The head, of co urse, is immaculately white. Clearly racial tensions in the US are mirrored by those in Sri Lanka. Euro-centric maps? Try Euro-centric beer carbonation!

Smells smeet and adjuncty, pretty average for the style. Tastes grainy, but there's a strong undercurrent of rotten fruit and metal pipes. O Lion, why hast thou forsaken me?

You may, like me, be disposed to think that because Lion makes such a good interpretation of a stout, surely their lager can't be half bad...right? Wrong. Miller High Life is so much better, if only because it fails to taste like urine. Stick with Lion Stout.

battlekow, Oct 27, 2005
3.65/5  rDev +25.4%

The beer pours a gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light pale malt scent along with a dry lager yeast aroma. The taste is decent as well. It has a light pale malt flavor with some redsidual sweetness. It goes down easy and finishes dry with a slight fruitiness. It's clean and refreshing. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a pretty good lager. It has a solid taste with no off-flavors; a good drinker.

WesWes, Oct 06, 2005
2.95/5  rDev +1.4%

I got this beer from a world variety pack. It has a rather unpleasant yellow color (looks a bit like a certain bodily fluid...), and has very little head. The taste is rather non-descript and bland. This beer wasn't bad, it was just completely unremarkable. The bland wateryness of the beer ma make it a good "session" beer (you could drink alot of this very quickly, I think), and it may be good with Indian food, but it's not a beer that's worth searching for.

WMBierguy, Oct 06, 2005
3.28/5  rDev +12.7%

Gosh darn it, I like it. Keeping in close mind the style, this one isn’t too bad.

I generally drink it at Bandung, a great Indonesian Restaurant in Madison, whenever I eat spicy food there. I find that lagers like this are an essential part of any SE Asian/Indonesian dining experience because they save your mouth from the Thai chilies and robust curries.

I also like Lion at Bandung because they sell enough of it so that it’s not too skunky. This beer has been very skunky and at least a couple of years old when I’ve had it at some other area restaurants.

Lion is very smooth and drinkable. It tastes slightly citrusy with hints of grain and metal spice. Did I just say metal spice? Sounds weird but that’s what it is.

The finish is corny and leaves one thirsty for more.

This is a beer that I would never drink at home but at a Thai or Indonesian restaurant I would pick it over most other available brews because it just goes so darn well with Ristafel or a nice Thai spread.

DaPeculierDane, Sep 12, 2005
2.55/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours very light almond amber, minor white head, no lacing. Minor scents picked up by the old schnozolla, perhaps just a wiff of hops. This is tastless, next to lifeless and lacking in any BA interest. I wonder if they consider this decent beer in Sri lanka? Lawn mower/very hot day at best. Pass this one by. A waste of decent water.

Billolick, Aug 31, 2005
3.23/5  rDev +11%

Bottle obtained from Liquor Mart (Colorado) and consumed later that evening. Pours an eager two finger white fluffy head over a crystal clear straw colored liquid. Smells of Pils malt and tin Saaz hops. Very gentle honey sweet and some metallic hoppy zing. There is also a deep troubling hop floral that I usually attribute to hallertauer. Nice aroma for a lager. Tastes very simple and weak. Corn. Mild malt sweet and some hop floral aroma. The aftertaste holds a very faint flavor remniscent of the inside of nectarine skins. Hop bitter is minimal, but there is some acrid sting on the tongue during the swallow from carbonation. The hop floral is deep dark hops, as hallertauer instills, and is similar to the hops found in Stroh's and in Budweiser. For 'american macro lager', this beer does pretty well. Smell is better than most, but flavor is tame and in line with the rest of the pack.

Now that the beer has warmed, I get almost entirely hallertauer in the aroma. Taste is mostly corn with some hallertauer hop floral. Honey sweet?...not really. Very light body and heavily carbonated. Rated to style, not to my personal preferences.

mentor, Aug 21, 2005

Golden colored. Mud scented. Loose impressions of watery cereal make the rest of the aromas. Scarcely bitter and bone dry, the neutrality of the taste is a surprise considering the relatively dark hue. Simple, subdued sweetness. Soft, grainy astringency tightens the quick finish.

putnam, Aug 05, 2005
3.78/5  rDev +29.9%

This light sweet lager was poured for me and the head which came out quite thick disappeared quickly. The scent was sweet and very plain light malt. The flavor was the same. Short sweet and refreshing. Not a whole lot to this beer, but if you want a good Sri Lankan beer, give this a try. There is a slight hoppy flavor which gives the lager it's kick.

robertp1024, Jul 01, 2005
3.05/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a light golden yellow with a white fluffy head that was quick to die off, yet left some lacing. The smell of fairly sweet grains. The taste was crisp with some initial sweetness that faded into a mild hoppy bite. The mouthfeel was a bit thin, but was nicely carbonated and went down very easily. Overall, I would have to say that this is fairly good, and it was very easy to drink.

soulfly967, Jan 04, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +34%

Pours a crystal clear golden straw yellow. Tiny white head even with a hard pour, which disappears very quickly. Nose is lightly sweet malt. very light carbonation. Tastes a little watery. Plain simple malt flavor. A light fruitiness at the end of the taste. Very clean, no off flavors. A very drinkable beer, probably very quenching in the hot Indian sun.

I like the fruitiness. Haven't had a lager this good in a while.

dauss, Dec 10, 2004
3.8/5  rDev +30.6%

Lion Lager is a functional beer with all the characteristics of a decent lager. It works well when winding down after a hard day in Kandy, especially served chilled on the balcony of The Pub, looking out on the afternoon crowd on Dalada Vidiya. The serious drinker can pick up a a bottle or two at Cargill's supermarket across the street before withdrawing for the night.

JanM, Nov 21, 2004
2.7/5  rDev -7.2%

Is there an advantage to brewing beer in Sri Lanka? I would think you would have to import all the ingredients except water. And Todd is right on: my first thought before even reading his review was that the initial aroma and taste are skunky! A lightweight beer: nearly non-existent malt, citrusy hops, some spice. Corn sweetner prevails, persisting to the watery, sulphurous finish. Less raspy than Heineken, but far from great.

palliko, Jul 12, 2004
2.5/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance: light with a hint of gold, the foam is quite firm, but doesn’t last too long.

Smell: light, slightly metallic. Fresh and dry, but doesn’t really tempt me…

Taste: Maybe refreshing in the tropical hot climate, but here in Denmark it is too anonymous for me to be excited. Nevertheless, it is a well balanced beer with a dry, malty taste that turns into a *little* caramel sweetness and then is taken over by a mild hoppy finish. Good carbonation too, enough to make it fresh, but it never turns into a soda stream feel.

Mouthfeel: Very light on the palate, but smooth and comfortable.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but I prefer malt and hops with a little more “fireworks”.

foamyhead, Jun 12, 2004
3.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Lion Lager from Sri Lanka: Definitely not bad. From a 22 oz bomber bottle. Pours a nice amber yellow, with a pure white head with unfortunately large and not long lasting bubbles. The aroma is weak, clean and not remarkable. Nice euro lager taste, fairly malty, imagine a beck’s without skunk, and a smooth and creamy mouthfeel and you are getting close. To no one’s surprise, very clean and fresh aftertaste, leaves the palate ready for another go about. Rich malty taste set this one apart from a run of the mill lager. Refreshing when fresh and worth the couple of bucks.

jackndan, Jun 05, 2004
2.73/5  rDev -6.2%

Clear gold appearance, fast rising head of big bubbles. Laces minimally and the head doesn't last. Sweet aroma, some honeyish tones. Very tight beer in mouthfeel and flavor, palest toast to the malt, hops decent but don't have much to balance. Slight grass sense. Doesn't build enough to say the finish is really watery, but this is a thin beer overall. There's just a lot notable going on, but there aren't any offputting vegetal impressions either. Drinkability is probably its best characteristic.

ADR, Apr 22, 2004
3.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a bright gold with little white head. Smells of grains and something sweet. Not a whole lot in the nose, but it doesn't smell bad. Tastes of not a whole lot either, very light bodied but holds a certain flavor that sits well in the mouth. It's not a bad tasting beer it's just not all that impressive either. Slight sweetness detected off the bat with some fruity notes as well. Very carbonated brew, has that thirst quenching ability. It's nice outside here today and this is just what you need to cool off.
Not all that great on taste, but on a nice summer day I'm sure this brew would be appreciated.

abents, Apr 16, 2004