2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lion Imperial Premium Malt Pilsner - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Lion Imperial Premium Malt Pilsner
No picture uploaded.

good

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Euro Strong Lager |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: DoctorDog on 06-11-2009)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Imperial Premium Malt Pilsner Alström Bros
Ratings: 166 | Reviews: 122 | Show All Ratings:
Georgiabeer

Georgia

1.08/5  rDev -63.6%

Yuck! Picked this up by mistake, as I meant to grab their fairly decent stout. This is not in the same ballpark. Pours golden with a thick head that very quickly fades to nearly nothing. Smells like rubbing alcohol with some very late graininess. Nothing like a nice whiff of solvent to wake your appetite up for the beer that follows. Tastes similar, which is -bad. Makes my eyes water from what seems to be a shot of cheap vodka more than it is a beer. Not even any hint of the grain this time (not that really helped the aroma). Mouthfeel is harsh and chemical feeling, and to me this whole beer is undrinkable. Drain pour.

08-09-2009 23:24:26 | More by Georgiabeer
grayburn

South Carolina

1.15/5  rDev -61.3%

I hate to be a killjoy but I have to be with this beer. What exactly is going on? I thought Lion knew what they were doing, their Stout is a very good beer..why is this one so horrible. This tastes budweiser with the water iced out completely. There is a definite strong smell and taste, but not one I could call great. Jet feul is the smell, half rotten corn is the other. I think that there might really be some hops somewhere or other in here, but I certainly am not the man to find them. The appearance is decent, the mouthfeel is decent, neither is anything special, and those two are this beer's only shining points. Way too hot, not blended at all. My least favorite beer of all time.

03-10-2009 20:31:57 | More by grayburn
nowise

1.15/5  rDev -61.3%

I bought this based on the very good Stout that they brew. What a mistake...

It looks like Budweiser, only with little tendrils of "stuff" floating around in it. I hope that it is yeast, but it doesn't look like any bottle conditioned beer I have ever seen. The saving grace is a pretty white head.

Smells like cheap malt liquor. Nuff said.

The taste is truly vile. Cloyingly sweet to an extreme. It makes my face pucker up and then makes my whole body shiver. After the taste has wracked me to my soul, I am left with a boozy, dry mouth and lingering sweetness.

This beer is wrong, just wrong. I drank a few sips for this review and the rest went down the drain.

03-14-2009 00:44:23 | More by nowise
drpimento

Wisconsin

1.28/5  rDev -56.9%

Oh my god, this is one of the all time worst beers! I poured it a bit too cold which should have benefitted this, but its quality shown thru. The beer reeked of sweet solvents. One taste and I almost retched; had to dump it and wash my mouth out. If you want somebody to leave your party, give them this beer.

03-18-2014 13:34:36 | More by drpimento
shootncast

1.3/5  rDev -56.2%

This was without a doubt, the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. Congrats to the marketing team for thier impressive label.To the brew master, you should be ashamed of yourself. At first sip you will realise you have made a terrible mistake. I would rank this beer somewhere around rhinelander and colt 45.

03-09-2010 12:47:50 | More by shootncast
divineaudio

1.43/5  rDev -51.9%

12oz can into a pokal glass.

color is a transparent golden yellow with a thick white head that calms to a thin cap and lasts. lots of lace in this glass.

smells like corn and alcohol. maybe a little hops in there.

taste is sticky, malty sweet in a not so good way. really grainy with a little hop bite in the finish. taste gets really bad as the beer warms.

body is much thicker than i was expecting. really chewy with a lot of carbonation.

drinkability is pretty low, i couldn't even finish this one. wound up dumping about half of it down the drain. if you see this on the shelf, keep on going.

07-11-2010 03:02:31 | More by divineaudio
JRed

1.55/5  rDev -47.8%

Light transparent in body. Terrible aromas in the nose, hops, bad water, and subtle fruit. Flavors are acidic: candied sugar, burnt sugar, alcoholic scorch. Very cloying on the palate. Tastes like a 40 oz. I'd buy in the slums of Sri Lanka. Not an enjoyable experience.

07-09-2009 19:41:52 | More by JRed
rlshep

1.55/5  rDev -47.8%

Aroma is light floral hops and hints of Pilsner malt. After it sat a little, picking up a mild funk.

Pours big 3" thick foamy head. Slow to dissipate. Very light golden color. Clarity is high, but seeing a lot of particles floating around. Thin long strands.I don't think this was bottle condition and I'm pretty sure it didn't come from the glass. Big turn off to an otherwise great presentation.

Tastes like apple cider. Don't believe this was the intended flavor.

Alcohol is very evident on this one. Leaves tongue mildly slick.

Obviously an infected bottle. I can't remember where I picked this up but it was in a make your own 6-pack and sat in my fridge for 5 months. So guessing shelf life is well past its prime, still if Lion had better sanitary practices this could have been avoided.

12-23-2010 02:09:30 | More by rlshep
scottfrie

1.58/5  rDev -46.8%

11.2oz bottle into DFH shaped pint glass.

A: The liquid pours a dark golden with a touch of amber beneath a thick, dense, dark tan head that slowly faded into a thick film leaving a great network of sticky lacing down the glass.
S: This just smells awful, cooked vegetables all the way. It’s pungent smelling, with scents of old vegetable soup, corn mash, dirty grains and soggy bread. Whew.
T: Taste follows the nose with strong notes of nasty vegetables, blaring honey sweetness, and a good dose of alcohol. The honey flavor would be pleasant if not for the sharp grain alcohol and vegetables. This tastes like a cheap malt liquor with a ton of honey and a chemical aftertaste.
M: Medium body, gritty mouthfeel with a sharp alcohol presence and tingly carbonation.
O: Pretty darn awful. The vegetable flavor wasn’t as bad after a while, but I ended up pouring more than half of the bottle down the drain. Avoid.

08-14-2011 18:56:10 | More by scottfrie
armock

1.63/5  rDev -45.1%

I got this in a beer of the month club and thats the only reason I'm drinking this beer because it showed up to my door for free.

A - Poured a yellow color with a white head that fades very quickly

S - Is of sweet grainy malt and alcohol

T - This is just a flat out bad tasting beer sweet fruit flavors and alcohol coat my tongue

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - Stay away from this shit don't waste your money on it horrible beer thats about to be a drain pour stay away

08-31-2009 22:08:38 | More by armock
guardian55309

1.65/5  rDev -44.4%

this is not the worst beer i have ever had but damn close. had the lion stout which i think i liked but this is awfull. apperence looks like beer everyting else omg could be drinking 100 times better. worst beer ive reviewed so far almost undrinkable but can finish if i try real hard.

07-15-2011 23:54:25 | More by guardian55309
becktone

1.75/5  rDev -41.1%

Eye: Looks very nice as it is poured into this pils glass. Very nice head formation and retention. The head is stable at perhaps a bit more than a finger and has a soapy looking texture. Color is crystal clear gold. This is a fizzy yellow beer, but it does a good job at looking nice.

Nose: Strong malt aroma fills the nostrils, pretty potent and easy to smell. During the pour the character of this beers aroma hit the nose. Vinous, especially when it comes to the alcohol in this beer, smells much like a riesling. Some sweet malt character here, but I'm also getting some off aromas. Something medicinal, or plastic.

Tongue: Again, that vinous quality is here. Also the off aroma is here in flavor. Taste is stale, plastic-like, and perhaps a bit medicinal. Really there is nothing redeeming about the flavor of this beer.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Light in body, though not as light as a light lager. Carbonation is pretty coarse and is lower than I expected. Finish is dry. There is no reason to come back to this beer, I am glad I didn't pay for this, barter for it, trade for it, waste my time trying to decide if I wanted to drink it, waste my time making a decision to buy/trade/barter/steal this. It was given to me, so I took it. I'll only try this one more time, and that would be because after tasting this I believe that this bottle is quite old.

08-19-2008 14:37:20 | More by becktone
chickenflea

1.78/5  rDev -40.1%

12-oz bottle.

Smell - Strange. Apple vinegar. Yeast. Spices. Alcohol.

Appearance - Looks promising. Clear and golden with billowy white head.

Taste - Huge malty sweetness, almost syrupy, medicinal, some caramel notes. Pretty boozy. The seeming lack of hop bitterness to offset the intense sweetness is a bit problematic. Strange side notes: metal, balsamic vinegar, cough syrup.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied.

Drinkability - The most bizarre beer I have ever tasted. I am not quite sure what the brewers were trying to accomplish.

06-02-2010 23:28:50 | More by chickenflea
bostoneo

1.8/5  rDev -39.4%

Apperance: Pours a usually lager pale yellow with a 1in head

Smell: Has a light grain smell (like macro lagers), that is sweetened

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is of a usuall lager that is accented by sweetness. After taste is of an awful olive like flavor.

Comments: Would NOT buy it again.

12-23-2006 20:51:07 | More by bostoneo
longbongsilver

Missouri

1.98/5  rDev -33.3%

Two reasons I tried this: 1) Loved their Export Stout, but also 2) seeing the imperial pilsner designation, figured that if the average BMC is loosely based on a pilsner, then getting an import pilsner -- even more so, an imperial one -- would provide opportunity to taste How It's Supposed To Be. Where's my mug...

Pours a fizzy copper tone, white bubbly head of about an inch that melts away pretty quick. Don't smell much, maybe apple & a bit of indistinguishable spice (clove? Kind of...). Take a swig, and get pretty much the same thing, with a slight bit of caramel. Not much though, it's ridiculously subtle to near nonexistent. Goes down like a spritzer or wine cooler.

This is one of those beers where, when getting into another style, you conclude that either it's a bad example of the style or that style is just not for you. I'm hoping the former, because I've had malt liquors that were better than this.

04-06-2011 01:20:47 | More by longbongsilver
bsp77

Received in May shipment of Beer of the Month Club.

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Slightly hazy, pale orange-yellow with very active (and loud) bubbles and head, but the head subsides very quickly with no lacing. Looked pretty good for about a minute and a half.

Smell: German noble hops, semi-sweet malt, cheap alcohol. Unfortunately, the hop smell disappeared, leaving mostly the cheap alcohol.

Taste: Wow, that does not taste the same as the somewhat dry, hoppy smell. Very, very sweet, like candy, but very peppery hops counter and are prominent at the finish. Tastes like a Malt Liquor with out of place hops. Cloying.

Feel: Pretty carbonated, light to medium body, feels alcoholic (if that makes sense).

Drinkability: Not very. Adding this note from a short while after I finished: I have an awful aftertaste in my mouth still, and am not sure if I can drink the other two I have.

This was such a great BOTM shipment until I had this.

06-12-2009 03:53:41 | More by bsp77
nick76

2.08/5  rDev -30%

The aroma is alcoholic with flowers and sweet malt. The appearance is golden with a large head. The taste is like the aroma. It is also like fuel from the alcohol. This beer does not try to hid the alcohol in any way. The palate is smooth. Overall bad stuff. This is like a malt liquor only better than OE or Colt 45 because it lacks corn taste and has some flowery hops.

01-28-2009 04:15:36 | More by nick76
johnwarne

2.15/5  rDev -27.6%

A beer haiku for you:

Uh oh--trouble here;
Here's an Asian in distress-
Better be careful.

Not the best introduction to this brand--I understand their dark offerings are much better, but it will take me a while to get up the courage to face another Lion in this family....

Cheers!

05-02-2010 19:48:41 | More by johnwarne
Goliath

2.23/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a clear golden color with a one inch slightly off white head. Decent retention and no lacing.

Aroma is terribly familiar. Smells like a lager! Some pale pils like malt, kind of bready and sweet. Not much going on.

Taste is really quite horrible. Ridiculously boozy, sweet, slightly fruity, some pale pils malts as well. Just horribly constructed.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is low. The flavors in this brew are terrible, and the alcohol is very apparent. Quite a stretch from their stout, which is easy to drink. This is murder!

09-10-2008 21:18:29 | More by Goliath
DannyDan

2.3/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a dark golden yellow with a thin bubbly white head that quickly disappears leaving no retention, lacing and moderate carbonation. The nose consists of some sweet malts (honey comes to mind), some grains and alcohol. the taste starts out with a strong sweet honey taste and than the alcohol hits hard. I can barely taste the hops in this beer. This beer has too much sweetness to it that leaves a bad aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth, but semi-dry and overall this beer has no balance and not much to offer in a beer. This is a drain pour beer, not something I would expect from Ceylon/Lion Brewery.

08-25-2011 05:34:25 | More by DannyDan
BierFan

2.33/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 330ml can into a branded Lion glass. The can only says Lion Imperial, but the six pack it came from identifies the beer as Lion Imperial Malt Pilsner.

Appearance: Big off-white head, clear light amber body.

Smell: The beer doesn't really have much of a smell to it. Kind of reminds me of a malt liquor.

Taste: Yup, it's just a malt liquor. Very sweet. If I had to sum up this beer I would say it's evocative of a sugary kids cereal soaked with booze.

Would not suggest this beer to others, and will avoid in the future.

08-27-2009 03:23:38 | More by BierFan
joshleo

2.35/5  rDev -20.9%

I didn't realize I had the imperial until I popped the cap (finally saw the label). I was excited to review a beer that not many people have had.

A: an orange gold with light carbonation

S: a foody smell unlike anything i have had before

T: malty with an aftertaste of inexpensive spaghetti sauce? I can't say that I liked the taste all that much.

M: light carbonation with a crisp feel on the tongue.

03-06-2007 01:26:51 | More by joshleo
Brent

Kentucky

2.42/5  rDev -18.5%

You can call this an Imperial Pilsner, but malt liquor is malt liquor - and this belongs in that category. Heavy malt, sweet with pungent, biting alcohol noted at every turn. While better than the convenience store brown bag-worth offerings, this is really not that much of a step up.

10-20-2010 14:03:23 | More by Brent
Lauthaha

2.45/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a champagne glass to be enjoyed frugally.

Appearance: Poured easily at a 45 degree angle. Nothing mind-blowing, but the color was nice (as George Carlin would never say). Looked like an average pilsner; light, highly carbonated and lacking a heavy, foamy head. Absolutely no lacing whatsoever.

Smell: At first sniff, I detected a hint of fruitiness, followed quickly by an almost overwhelming scent of alcohol. The high ABV of this beer is a bit surprising for a pilsner, but certainly detectable early-on.

Taste: Sadly, the taste is nothing to write home about. Very similar to other pilsners, except for the higher alcohol content which is (with taste, just as with smell) a bit overwhelming. The hops are overly evident; too much.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp. Aside from the 8.8% ABV, there are no other factors to negatively impact my review of this beer. I would say the mouthfeel is similar to American pilsners such as Budweiser.

Drinkability: I bought a six-pack to last me the weekend, and I'm fairly certain that it will be more than enough. Though it isn't the worst beer I have ever had, it's certainly nowhere near the best.

I have to say I'm disappointed overall with the Lion Imperial Premium Malt Pilsner. Knowing Lion Brewery Limited's reputation for great beers, I really wanted to give this beer a standing ovation. Perhaps their Stout ruined me (as it's one of the highest rated beers in the world, and for good reason), but I would not recommend the Pils to a friend. You can get just as drunk from "Camo" or "Hurricane" for about 20% of the price while not compromising much on taste. If the purpose of your purchase is to enjoy the beer (as mine was) then don't choose this one.

05-02-2010 00:11:20 | More by Lauthaha
ncsutton

2.45/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Serving - Can

A - A bronze/amber color, thin head that disappears quickly

S - Very floral and sweet aroma, some hints of apple

T - Very sweet flavoring, its almost like a hard cider mixed into a bad pilsner, the finish is very strong alcohol

M - Somewhat thick with very light carbonation

O - Not very good, I've had one of their other beers and thought that that was what I was getting, I was wrong and man am I disappointed in this, its overly fruity and just not that good, it was just above a drain pour in my book

10-25-2011 01:37:06 | More by ncsutton