1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,609 | Reviews: 2,174 | Show All Ratings:
Brent

Kentucky

The classic example of the style to which all others should aspire. Robust and powerful without being overpowering.

07-08-2001 18:03:18 | More by Brent
John

Huge chocolate and dark roasted malt flavor. Outstanding beer.

10-19-2001 11:20:09 | More by John
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

Can't think of anything I don't like about this one...simply the best dopplebock I've had the pleasure to quaff! Gotta love those little plastic goat thingys...used to have a collection of them, why? I dunno. Reccomended stuff.

12-03-2001 20:35:45 | More by beerluvr
budgood1

the most wonderful smelling beer i've ever had. smooth, creamy, huge malt profile with chocolate/caramel/fruity/woody undertones...tastes absolutely spectacular and warms all the way down. words can't explain what my senses are experiencing. it's fabulous.

12-18-2001 19:00:59 | More by budgood1
Jordan

Huge efferescent whiffs of cocoa's and alchohal's and hard toffee candy. Frothy and lumpy pale tan head, deep dark brown with a tint of dark red. Full body, creamy silky smooth texture. Slight roasted caramel and brown sugars on the palate. Quiet whispers of a bitter hops presense.

Compared to Optimator and Salvator, Celerbrator Doppelbock is much more mellow. Soothing to the touch, and relaxing to drink. Truely exceptional.

01-23-2002 04:25:36 | More by Jordan
Mick

This is the Mercedes Benz of Dopplebocks. Truly an outstanding beer. An alluring brown/tan/mocha color that invites the upper lip to investigate it a little further. A noseful of the caramel/cocoa aroma that these types are lusted for. Great taste that is synonymous with the scent, only amplified. It holds a bold presence as its body commands and navigates it's way past you palate and around your tongue.
Superb!

09-18-2002 12:26:46 | More by Mick
Dogbrick

Somehow I managed to find this beer on draught here in Columbus (at the Refectory). There simply cannot be a beer that I will enjoy more than this.

Served at a perfect temperature. Unbelievably easy to drink, with a light smooth malty flavor that was not too sweet. Balanced perfectly by the alcohol ratio. Just a whisper of chocolate in the aroma and flavor as well. Very dark with a medium thick beige head that diminished rather quickly, but who cares, because it was between me and this amazing beer. Now I am working on getting the Celebrator glasses from the restaurant after the beer is out of rotation.

09-23-2002 08:28:04 | More by Dogbrick
Popsinc

Ontario (Canada)

A classic of it's style. Deep and rich in colour. Hints of chocolate & roasted oates. A dry, warm finish, this beer is simply the perfect cold weather beer. I wouldn't go through a winter without it.

11-15-2002 13:09:16 | More by Popsinc
RBorsato

Dark brown/mahogany (almost black) with a full creamy tan-light brown head, decent carbonation, and clumpy lace. Big malty aroma -- coffeeish and almost chocolatey. Big malty coffee-ish flavor dominates with dark fruitiness noticeable. Full bodied, rich and creamy.

The Standard in Doppelbocks !! Awesome and Pure Bliss !! Unlike many expensive beers, this one is worth the price...

Label states: Finest Bavarian Double Bock Beer

($3.99 / 11.2 oz. / 330 ml)

10-07-2003 19:49:01 | More by RBorsato
Dmann

This is with out a doubt the quintessential dopplebock that all others should be judged against. The color and pour were great, with a great off white head and a nice mahogony brown color. The smell was all malt with a bit of a brown ale smell to it as well. The taste reminded me a lot of a nut brown but with an even more pronounced malt character and a hint of spice in there too. As far as dopplebocks go this is the best I've ever had....and it even came with a plastic goat!

11-15-2003 09:50:34 | More by Dmann
Zorro

Pours a very dark clear brown brew.

Smell is malt and a fine perfume. Smell is a bit sweet with some molasses smell.

Taste is all dark malt with a mild bitterness at the end. Spicy but not like a dark Belgian. The alcohol is well hidden and warms your whole body as you sip it.

Mouthfeel is perfect, a rich brew with a level of carbonation that tickles your tongue.

Super excellent Drinkability, a pleasure to sip anytime.

03-23-2004 01:59:33 | More by Zorro
TongoRad

Translucent saturated brown color with a thick tan head.

Aroma is rich, malty and complex with some spicyness and some dried fruit qualities but still solidly in lager territory. The effect almost comes across like a cross between dark bread and a holiday cake.

Flavor is amazing- it follows through on the nose and adds new layers of complexity- some molasses and just the right amount of bitterness to prevent cloying.

As close to perfection as you'll find.

10-08-2004 17:24:39 | More by TongoRad
walleye

I have been drinking this for about a year now nice chocolate color tan long lasting head nice lacing excellentlacing nice smooth palate coffee and molesses with a slight bitter after taste this brings back fond memories when I was in the Army in Germany in a little town of Illishiem in 1970 sitting in a guest house having a few this is one of the best beers I have had in 30 some years. This is the beer I have been looking for. If there is one better would some one let me know.this is the only beer from my (ratebeer.com) that at this time I have around 278 beers rated that I have reated all 5's

10-24-2004 03:34:27 | More by walleye
Optimat0r

appearance - comes in a neat little brown 12oz-i mean 11.2-oz- bottle. one of my favorite bottles, im not sure why, maybe its the artwork and the little goat, or maybe its because i know whats inside.
pours thick and really dark, classic dopplebock.

taste - extremely good. i find its noticeably better sipped out of a glass than from the bottle. my first try i was a bit diasappointed, but it has grown better and better with each bottle. extremely rich, complex, malty, flavorful, straightforward dopplebock with no hoppiness or fruityness, just pure malty goodness. slight presence of coffee and indeed a nutty presence as well. perfectly balanced. this is my kind of beer.

drinkability - i didnt want my last bottle to stop. i wanted to savor every last drop of it. im giving it a 5 for drinkability also, its hard to put the thing down, you could chug the whole damn bottle so easily, or just as easily sip it away. this is the best that beer gets(for me anyway). 5's across the board.

UPDATE 8-09: have recently delved into dark beers again. tried the korbinian, a rival of celebrator. NO DOPPLEBOCK IS CLOSE TO THIS BEER. CELEBRATOR WINS

02-05-2006 05:13:26 | More by Optimat0r
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

I've had a good bit of this beer lately, and as far as I'm concerned, it is the picture-perfect, model doppelbock. There's been a good bit of talk about Sam Adams double bock lately, but Celebrator completely puts Sammy to shame.

The flavor is wonderfully complex. There's a fantastic slightly-burnt quality to this beer. Rich maple syrup tones as well. Chewy and roasty and full bodied. Lovely mocha head and a deep dark body. I found myself craving this out of nowhere in the middle of the day at work today, and I'm going to have to go back to my local bar for more.

02-08-2006 03:41:50 | More by chOAKbarrell
yemenmocha

Arizona

Too bad U.S. craft brewers cannot emulate this style very well. It is simply unmatched, especially for this particular example.

At first I had this confused with the Optimator but then after a side by side, the Celebrator is much more roasty and coffee-like.

Brilliant dark amber-brown with light brown head. A true dopplebock.

Malty sweet "goat's breath" nose on this beer, whatever that means, with some light roasted coffee aromas too. Some chocolatey toasty notes too.

Medium to full bodied. Big Malt warmth, chocolate sweetness, slight hop tang but mostly a nice, earnest malt flavor profile.

Finish is very coffee like to me. Bravo!

07-03-2006 03:17:32 | More by yemenmocha
OStrungT

This beer pours a dark brown, that looks deep mohogany when held up to the light. It has a thick brown head that fades slowly, leaving many laces.

This beer boasts a strong bready malt aroma. Is has a sweet smell. Molasses or brown sugar. It has a dark fruit aroma also. Figs or raisins. A slight chocolate aroma is also present.

This beer tastes incredable. It tastes very toasty. Bready flavors are present. Also, chocolate and toffee are mixed in. I think this beer has a perfect mix of flavors.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a creamy, toffee like aftertaste. It is low in carbonation, but it does not detract from the beer.

I think this beer would make an excelent session beer. It is only slightly high in alcohol. The flavor is wonderful, and would probably never get old. This is definately a world class beer.

07-25-2006 22:49:04 | More by OStrungT
jeffjfindley

Appearance: Pours with a nice head that gives way to lovely hazy clouds hovering above a perfect black violet mid-summer afternoon. Yeeah.

Smell: Goddamned outstanding. Like dark chocolate & Bailey's Irish Cream.

Taste: Just perfect. I mean, my goodness. What the hell is going on here? There is nothing remotely critique-able about this beer. Not terribly complex, if that's a problem for you. Just very malty & dark chocolate-molassessy with a nice spicy finish

Mouthfeel: Like a Norman Rockwell painting in your mouth. Makes ya feel all warm & fuzzy. Like freakin' Christmas.

Drinkability: Oh, I'm celabratin' alright. This is goddam awesome. I'm reinvigorated about German brews.

10-04-2006 05:18:11 | More by jeffjfindley
JoeyBeerBelly

WOW!
I gave this Double Bock a perfect score!

I bought a 4 pack for $9.99 (what a steal!)

I poured it in to a pilsner glass. It was a deep brownish/red color with a frothy tan head that didn't last too long but as I drank it left a fine looking lacing all the way through. perfect!

It smelled sort of sweet and of roasted malt. perfect!

The taste was heavenly, not too sweet with no hint of alcohol or bitterness. perfect!

It was creamy and smooth in the mouth with a sweet aftertaste. perfect!

This is an extremely drinkable bock. Low abv allows one to enjoy 3 or 4 over a couple of hours, either with a meal or after a meal with a good cigar. perfect!

02-22-2007 23:06:32 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
techdiver

Pours a deep mahogany with a nice frothy head that dissipates slowly.

Molasses, caramel and toasted malt nose.

Taste is exquisite. Perfectly balanced malt, molasses, and hops. Truly a joy. Had to rate this all 5's for first time; it's even better than Korbinian.

Mouthfeel is outstanding. Perfect carbonation, just fantastic.

Extremely drinkable, I need more of this.

05-19-2007 03:33:50 | More by techdiver
AAis4quiters

Just an all around great beer. This is just my opinion, but damn near perfect for a dopple. This is my new favorite. I had it in a local place that takes pride in their German food and beer. It was a recomendation from the bartender that he hit out of the park. Thanks!

07-27-2007 05:37:23 | More by AAis4quiters
Tilley4

Tennessee

To this point in my life, I've never had a finer beer than the one that I experienced while drinking this wonderful doppelbock. I'm not sure that I can come up with enough wonderful things to say about it. From the wonderful dark brown appearance to the smooth, chocolatey, malty taste, this beer never fails to amaze me. The first one that I ever drank totally changed the way that I look at beer. I made the mistake of drinking it freezing cold and it was still delicious. I now let this beer warm to almost room temperature before even picking it up and it gets better everytime I experience it. Best beer that I've ever had and I can't really think of a close second right now. One of the only beers that I actually hide from my wife so she won't find my stash of it!! She loves it too!

11-23-2007 17:40:55 | More by Tilley4
bigdonniebrasco

Kansas

Poured into my favorite tasting snifter (how's that for pretentious). This is one that I really have to control myself with so I can enjoy every drop!

Very opaque with frothy head that never quits.

Smells malty, a great attribute for a beer of this genre'.

Tastes malt, molasses, some hop and very light alcohol. Fills your mouth with flavor.

Feels almost perfect. Smooth, creamy and coats the tounge perfectly.

One of my favorite beers to date! I have had a lot of beers in my years and I always look forward to my next Celebrator. VERY drinkable but a shame to drink quickly.

01-02-2008 02:55:19 | More by bigdonniebrasco
AleDrinkToThat

Tennessee

A: Deep mahogany with a perfect two-finger tan head. Mouth-wateringly good-looking.

S: The sweet bread-like maltiness as well as caramel really permeate the air, and the hoppy spice is immediately noticeable, too. It's heavenly.

T: Fan. Tastic. Rich, complex malty taste of yeast and caramel, with a molasses-like sweetness. It's the kind of taste that never, ever gets old or boring.

M: It flows so smoothly over the tastebuds with reckless abandon. The carbonation is pretty muted, which is wonderful for my tastes.

D: Any time of the day or night, it's wonderful. I don't think I could ever tire of it. The taste and aftertaste is enough goodness to make a grown beer enthusiast cry.

01-03-2008 22:30:35 | More by AleDrinkToThat
gonzo46and2

Bottle: Pours dark brown with a thin tan head. Not much retension. Aroma is rich with malty aromas, dark fruit, and dry roast coffee. Initial taste is nutty with a hoppy zing. Mouth feel is Smooth, creamy, and not too sweet. Toasted aroma lingers long after the head dimishes enhancing the flavor. Best doppelbock I've had yet.

06-25-2008 22:30:05 | More by gonzo46and2