Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,840 | Reviews: 2,312

sooo smooth

The classic example of the style to which all others should aspire. Robust and powerful without being overpowering.

Pours a deep mahogany with a nice frothy head that dissipates slowly.

Molasses, caramel and toasted malt nose.

Taste is exquisite. Perfectly balanced malt, molasses, and hops. Truly a joy. Had to rate this all 5's for first time; it's even better than Korbinian.

Mouthfeel is outstanding. Perfect carbonation, just fantastic.

Extremely drinkable, I need more of this.

This beer defines doppelbock. It is nothing short of extraordinary.
If there is a better doppelbock, send me some, because I don't believe there is. Celebrator is rich in malts and elegant to boot, easy to drink and the smell is sweet and layered. Probably in my opinion in the top 5 of all beers in the world. The King of Doppelbocks.

Pours a very dark clear brown brew.

Smell is malt and a fine perfume. Smell is a bit sweet with some molasses smell.

Taste is all dark malt with a mild bitterness at the end. Spicy but not like a dark Belgian. The alcohol is well hidden and warms your whole body as you sip it.

Mouthfeel is perfect, a rich brew with a level of carbonation that tickles your tongue.

Super excellent Drinkability, a pleasure to sip anytime.

Absolutely the best Doppelbock I've ever had.

A- Deep dark brown color. A big fat sticky tan head with the best retention I've ever seen. It leaves itself all over the place yet somehow never leaves. Incredible.

S- Toasty malt and caramel toffee sweetness right off with a good clean citrus herbal hops presence and light spices. Nice biscuit and not too powerful but warm alcohol as well.

T- Holy complexity Batman! It's a lot of things but everything fits together as if God himself were the unity. Malt up front with the caramel sweetness then citrusy subtle spicy hops. Nice balanced hops bitterness combined with light fruit flavors and toasty biscuit. Finish is lingering with light sweetness and grains.

M- This is a huge creamy thick full bodied brew. Very smooth. Carbonation is part of the harmony that is the hand of God in a bottle.
Perfection.

A: Dark dark brown with an off-white head. The head faded in about 5 minutes. It looks like a perfect glass of onyx.

S: Sweet and dark with caramel and slight musk of coffee

T: Savory and dark, aftertaste is middle-of-palette and crisp. Notes of cinnamon, caramel, honey. Strong grain presence

M: Smooth, good carbonation level without being excessive. Not as thick as stout, but good consistency so it doesn't go down like water.

This beer was a profound experience. I was at a Brazilian steakhouse on somebody else's check. I ordered a Doppelbock of some other brand I didn't recall. They told me they had run out of that and that this was the only other doppelbock they had. I said thanks and they poured. I have never been a benefactor of such beautiful and just coincidence in my life. It's like meeting your future wife in a car accident. It's like finding a gold deposit in your basement after a meteor caves in your house. This beer changed the way I thought about life. I'm not exaggerating. I do not know how else to put it.

This is a rather delightful drinking experience.

Dark brown/mahogany (almost black) with a full creamy tan-light brown head, decent carbonation, and clumpy lace. Big malty aroma -- coffeeish and almost chocolatey. Big malty coffee-ish flavor dominates with dark fruitiness noticeable. Full bodied, rich and creamy.

The Standard in Doppelbocks !! Awesome and Pure Bliss !! Unlike many expensive beers, this one is worth the price...

Label states: Finest Bavarian Double Bock Beer

($3.99 / 11.2 oz. / 330 ml)

Wowww this is an ineradicable beer. Payed $5 per bottle when I picked few. Comes with a ram on the neck which I have not seen anything like before. The price is definitely justifiable. One of the best beers I have had. Another great beer from Ayinger.

Wow, best Doppelbock I have tried so far.

A: Awesome appearance, Extremely dark with a nice head that stays as long as it's there. Gorgeous.

S: Has a great aroma of chocolate, coffee, and a strong molasses sent. It is not to overpowering though great balance.

T: Molasses is the first flavor, then it almost has a chocolate flavor to it, along with a nice malt and hops taste to it. It has a awesome sweetness to it but definitely not too much, just enough to make it flavorful, along with a little bitterness, but not at the finish. Good carbonation, the alcohol is just right. German brewing at its finest.

M: Very creamy, so damn good! Just an awesome feel to it.

D: Infinity on the Drinkability, I would get drunk on this not because I wanted to get drunk, but because it's so damn good. Highly recommend it, best Doppelbock out there.

Trust me, you need to try this, it's worth getting. Exceeds the reputation.

Pours easily with about a one finger head. Rich and dark in color and taste, and feels excellent.

This is the Mercedes Benz of Dopplebocks. Truly an outstanding beer. An alluring brown/tan/mocha color that invites the upper lip to investigate it a little further. A noseful of the caramel/cocoa aroma that these types are lusted for. Great taste that is synonymous with the scent, only amplified. It holds a bold presence as its body commands and navigates it's way past you palate and around your tongue.
Superb!

According to my opinion, and compared to approx. 2500 beers, this is by far the best beer in the world. It's absolutely flawless. Until now I have managed to taste it only from a bottle but it is said that it is available "von fass" (draught) during May. Drinking a Celebrator is a unique experience that starts from the moment it comes to your table for the first time, until... the day you die?? The first thing that will catch your eye is the bottle. I usually don't pay attention, but the uniqueness of the label and the little "bock" that hangs from it tell you two things: It's a beer that has a lot of tradition behind it, and that it is made by people who pay attention to details. And then you serve it... Its dark ruby-red / brown color plays with your imagination as well as it does with light. Its full aroma reaches your brain gradually. At first, I thought it was impossible to have a bouquet of aromas, so full and well-balanced. This beer smells of spring rain, wet wood and discreet flowers. The worst part is the 3-5 seconds wait it takes to settle. It takes for ever... But when you taste it you won't believe that such thing is possible! The world will subside and all of your senses will busy cherishing the unique feeling of drinking a Celebrator. No words. Perhaps I am over-reacting but have you tried it?

Suggestions: Serve at a temperature of ~5 deg. C in a tulip shaped glass. Accompanies well most plates (red/white meat, vegetables, fruit, chocolate) but the best way to enjoy is with just some pretzels.

Huge chocolate and dark roasted malt flavor. Outstanding beer.

Huge efferescent whiffs of cocoa's and alchohal's and hard toffee candy. Frothy and lumpy pale tan head, deep dark brown with a tint of dark red. Full body, creamy silky smooth texture. Slight roasted caramel and brown sugars on the palate. Quiet whispers of a bitter hops presense.

Compared to Optimator and Salvator, Celerbrator Doppelbock is much more mellow. Soothing to the touch, and relaxing to drink. Truely exceptional.

nice creamy froth, very smooth. It has a subdued malty taste

Poured from bottle to snifter.

Dark, dark walnut brown with very small, creamy head.

Smells kind of like molasses.

Taste is a lot like the Ayinger Dunkel, but stronger. A bit sweeter. Dark bread, molasses, coffee. I found it to have a nice bit of bitterness in the finish, more than some of the others would suggest. It really needs it to try to balance the heavy malts up front.

Mouthfeel is a bit heavy, bordering on a warm syrup, but not burdensome to drink. Carbonation is light and subdued.

Overall, like the Dunkel from this brewery, it's my favorite in the style. The Dopplebock seems to get a bit more praise but I feel the similarities through and through. It's a perfect pre-meal in a bottle on a cool autumn day. Love it!

Poured into my favorite tasting snifter (how's that for pretentious). This is one that I really have to control myself with so I can enjoy every drop!

Very opaque with frothy head that never quits.

Smells malty, a great attribute for a beer of this genre'.

Tastes malt, molasses, some hop and very light alcohol. Fills your mouth with flavor.

Feels almost perfect. Smooth, creamy and coats the tounge perfectly.

One of my favorite beers to date! I have had a lot of beers in my years and I always look forward to my next Celebrator. VERY drinkable but a shame to drink quickly.

Had this on tap at Heorot a month or so ago. Amazing beer. I will definitely seek this out again.

Color is very dark - I'd say opaque black, but others have said no so much. Heorot is VERY dark inside, so it'd be hard to get a true color eval in there. Aroma, to me, was of sweet malts.

Taste, well... malty and wonderful and dark and... gah. Must find someone with this on tap within 100 miles! It's that good. I'd drive 100 miles for a pint right now.

Bottle: Pours dark brown with a thin tan head. Not much retension. Aroma is rich with malty aromas, dark fruit, and dry roast coffee. Initial taste is nutty with a hoppy zing. Mouth feel is Smooth, creamy, and not too sweet. Toasted aroma lingers long after the head dimishes enhancing the flavor. Best doppelbock I've had yet.

WOW!
I gave this Double Bock a perfect score!

I bought a 4 pack for $9.99 (what a steal!)

I poured it in to a pilsner glass. It was a deep brownish/red color with a frothy tan head that didn't last too long but as I drank it left a fine looking lacing all the way through. perfect!

It smelled sort of sweet and of roasted malt. perfect!

The taste was heavenly, not too sweet with no hint of alcohol or bitterness. perfect!

It was creamy and smooth in the mouth with a sweet aftertaste. perfect!

This is an extremely drinkable bock. Low abv allows one to enjoy 3 or 4 over a couple of hours, either with a meal or after a meal with a good cigar. perfect!

Best beer I've had in 47 years awesome it made all my wildest dreams come true

the most wonderful smelling beer i've ever had. smooth, creamy, huge malt profile with chocolate/caramel/fruity/woody undertones...tastes absolutely spectacular and warms all the way down. words can't explain what my senses are experiencing. it's fabulous.

I have been drinking this for about a year now nice chocolate color tan long lasting head nice lacing excellentlacing nice smooth palate coffee and molesses with a slight bitter after taste this brings back fond memories when I was in the Army in Germany in a little town of Illishiem in 1970 sitting in a guest house having a few this is one of the best beers I have had in 30 some years. This is the beer I have been looking for. If there is one better would some one let me know.this is the only beer from my (ratebeer.com) that at this time I have around 278 beers rated that I have reated all 5's