1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,610 | Reviews: 2,174 | Show All Ratings:
AAis4quiters

Just an all around great beer. This is just my opinion, but damn near perfect for a dopple. This is my new favorite. I had it in a local place that takes pride in their German food and beer. It was a recomendation from the bartender that he hit out of the park. Thanks!

07-27-2007 05:37:23 | More by AAis4quiters
Tilley4

Tennessee

To this point in my life, I've never had a finer beer than the one that I experienced while drinking this wonderful doppelbock. I'm not sure that I can come up with enough wonderful things to say about it. From the wonderful dark brown appearance to the smooth, chocolatey, malty taste, this beer never fails to amaze me. The first one that I ever drank totally changed the way that I look at beer. I made the mistake of drinking it freezing cold and it was still delicious. I now let this beer warm to almost room temperature before even picking it up and it gets better everytime I experience it. Best beer that I've ever had and I can't really think of a close second right now. One of the only beers that I actually hide from my wife so she won't find my stash of it!! She loves it too!

11-23-2007 17:40:55 | More by Tilley4
bigdonniebrasco

Kansas

Poured into my favorite tasting snifter (how's that for pretentious). This is one that I really have to control myself with so I can enjoy every drop!

Very opaque with frothy head that never quits.

Smells malty, a great attribute for a beer of this genre'.

Tastes malt, molasses, some hop and very light alcohol. Fills your mouth with flavor.

Feels almost perfect. Smooth, creamy and coats the tounge perfectly.

One of my favorite beers to date! I have had a lot of beers in my years and I always look forward to my next Celebrator. VERY drinkable but a shame to drink quickly.

01-02-2008 02:55:19 | More by bigdonniebrasco
AleDrinkToThat

Tennessee

A: Deep mahogany with a perfect two-finger tan head. Mouth-wateringly good-looking.

S: The sweet bread-like maltiness as well as caramel really permeate the air, and the hoppy spice is immediately noticeable, too. It's heavenly.

T: Fan. Tastic. Rich, complex malty taste of yeast and caramel, with a molasses-like sweetness. It's the kind of taste that never, ever gets old or boring.

M: It flows so smoothly over the tastebuds with reckless abandon. The carbonation is pretty muted, which is wonderful for my tastes.

D: Any time of the day or night, it's wonderful. I don't think I could ever tire of it. The taste and aftertaste is enough goodness to make a grown beer enthusiast cry.

01-03-2008 22:30:35 | More by AleDrinkToThat
gonzo46and2

Bottle: Pours dark brown with a thin tan head. Not much retension. Aroma is rich with malty aromas, dark fruit, and dry roast coffee. Initial taste is nutty with a hoppy zing. Mouth feel is Smooth, creamy, and not too sweet. Toasted aroma lingers long after the head dimishes enhancing the flavor. Best doppelbock I've had yet.

06-25-2008 22:30:05 | More by gonzo46and2
dbek

Greece

According to my opinion, and compared to approx. 2500 beers, this is by far the best beer in the world. It's absolutely flawless. Until now I have managed to taste it only from a bottle but it is said that it is available "von fass" (draught) during May. Drinking a Celebrator is a unique experience that starts from the moment it comes to your table for the first time, until... the day you die?? The first thing that will catch your eye is the bottle. I usually don't pay attention, but the uniqueness of the label and the little "bock" that hangs from it tell you two things: It's a beer that has a lot of tradition behind it, and that it is made by people who pay attention to details. And then you serve it... Its dark ruby-red / brown color plays with your imagination as well as it does with light. Its full aroma reaches your brain gradually. At first, I thought it was impossible to have a bouquet of aromas, so full and well-balanced. This beer smells of spring rain, wet wood and discreet flowers. The worst part is the 3-5 seconds wait it takes to settle. It takes for ever... But when you taste it you won't believe that such thing is possible! The world will subside and all of your senses will busy cherishing the unique feeling of drinking a Celebrator. No words. Perhaps I am over-reacting but have you tried it?

Suggestions: Serve at a temperature of ~5 deg. C in a tulip shaped glass. Accompanies well most plates (red/white meat, vegetables, fruit, chocolate) but the best way to enjoy is with just some pretzels.

10-02-2008 13:19:32 | More by dbek
TheBishop

Montana

This beer defines doppelbock. It is nothing short of extraordinary.
If there is a better doppelbock, send me some, because I don't believe there is. Celebrator is rich in malts and elegant to boot, easy to drink and the smell is sweet and layered. Probably in my opinion in the top 5 of all beers in the world. The King of Doppelbocks.

03-07-2009 05:05:24 | More by TheBishop
Rainne

Absolutely the best Doppelbock I've ever had.

A- Deep dark brown color. A big fat sticky tan head with the best retention I've ever seen. It leaves itself all over the place yet somehow never leaves. Incredible.

S- Toasty malt and caramel toffee sweetness right off with a good clean citrus herbal hops presence and light spices. Nice biscuit and not too powerful but warm alcohol as well.

T- Holy complexity Batman! It's a lot of things but everything fits together as if God himself were the unity. Malt up front with the caramel sweetness then citrusy subtle spicy hops. Nice balanced hops bitterness combined with light fruit flavors and toasty biscuit. Finish is lingering with light sweetness and grains.

M- This is a huge creamy thick full bodied brew. Very smooth. Carbonation is part of the harmony that is the hand of God in a bottle.
Perfection.

03-24-2009 18:42:39 | More by Rainne
SacredBeverage

Wow, best Doppelbock I have tried so far.

A: Awesome appearance, Extremely dark with a nice head that stays as long as it's there. Gorgeous.

S: Has a great aroma of chocolate, coffee, and a strong molasses sent. It is not to overpowering though great balance.

T: Molasses is the first flavor, then it almost has a chocolate flavor to it, along with a nice malt and hops taste to it. It has a awesome sweetness to it but definitely not too much, just enough to make it flavorful, along with a little bitterness, but not at the finish. Good carbonation, the alcohol is just right. German brewing at its finest.

M: Very creamy, so damn good! Just an awesome feel to it.

D: Infinity on the Drinkability, I would get drunk on this not because I wanted to get drunk, but because it's so damn good. Highly recommend it, best Doppelbock out there.

Trust me, you need to try this, it's worth getting. Exceeds the reputation.

02-20-2011 20:37:11 | More by SacredBeverage
ModemMisuser

Indiana

Had this on tap at Heorot a month or so ago. Amazing beer. I will definitely seek this out again.

Color is very dark - I'd say opaque black, but others have said no so much. Heorot is VERY dark inside, so it'd be hard to get a true color eval in there. Aroma, to me, was of sweet malts.

Taste, well... malty and wonderful and dark and... gah. Must find someone with this on tap within 100 miles! It's that good. I'd drive 100 miles for a pint right now.

07-06-2011 17:41:56 | More by ModemMisuser
adjunctjonez

Maine

I've drunk thousands of beers in my time and generally it takes special beers for me to have an overwhelmingly negative or positive reaction. I have had Celebrator in bottle and thought it very good but recently had it on tap and was blown away, possibly the most enjoyable three glasses of beer I have ever had. Wont even bother to rate the various aspects, from the initial sniff to final drop it is one helluva beer, Sourced fresh on tap made a believer of me.

04-02-2012 17:28:15 | More by adjunctjonez
nofalltoofar

A: Dark dark brown with an off-white head. The head faded in about 5 minutes. It looks like a perfect glass of onyx.

S: Sweet and dark with caramel and slight musk of coffee

T: Savory and dark, aftertaste is middle-of-palette and crisp. Notes of cinnamon, caramel, honey. Strong grain presence

M: Smooth, good carbonation level without being excessive. Not as thick as stout, but good consistency so it doesn't go down like water.

This beer was a profound experience. I was at a Brazilian steakhouse on somebody else's check. I ordered a Doppelbock of some other brand I didn't recall. They told me they had run out of that and that this was the only other doppelbock they had. I said thanks and they poured. I have never been a benefactor of such beautiful and just coincidence in my life. It's like meeting your future wife in a car accident. It's like finding a gold deposit in your basement after a meteor caves in your house. This beer changed the way I thought about life. I'm not exaggerating. I do not know how else to put it.

11-18-2012 02:57:25 | More by nofalltoofar
marzenfannm

New Mexico

Enjoyed a Celebrator tonight with a grilled flatiron steak and baked potater. What a treat. It's hard to imagine a better brew to suit my taste (although it is such a rich beer I don't see myself drinking more than one or two at a sitting). This beer has a rich brownish-black appearance and pleasant aroma. The mouthfeel is like drinking milk although the taste is nothing like that. The taste is startlingly complex with so many recognizable pleasant flavors all at once. This beer goes down smooth and clean with no distracting after taste. It can be matched, but I don't think I've had better!

03-18-2013 03:02:10 | More by marzenfannm
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.98/5  rDev +14.5%

Ayinger Celebrator's dark tone and steadfast opacity give it the intimidating appearance of a guard dog, or maybe one of those angry, long-horned rams on its label in mating season. This is slightly ironic considering how its violet and ruby highlights are gorgeous and inviting. Its head, while thin, looks harder than marble stone (and is coloured like it too).

It smells like someone took the world's finest tawny port and improved it exponentially. The sweet, fruity notes of plum and grape are gracefully tempered, somewhat offset by a tremendously rich maltiness. This 'toast and jam' combination would make a memorable breakfast; even the best noses are bound to miss a feature or two. It's that layered.

I don't think you could find a better, more exemplary tasting doppelbock than Celebrator. The poised sweetness of a fig and prune compote is mushed into the taste of heavily browned bread crusts, which turn into a sooty, moderately bitter dark chocolate note on the finish. If ever a beer deserved a perfect score for flavour, truly, Celebrator is it.

There's rich - and then there's Bill Gates rich. This doppelbock is Bill Gates rich. Profound, full-bodied, uncompromising maltiness becomes heavily intimate with all parts of the palate, and refuses to go away even in the aftertaste. To suggest caramel is grossly overstating the quantity of sweetness, and downplaying the rich, luscious quality of it.

If you want to learn about German brewing, throw out the books and just stock up on Celebrator. Few examples pack as much punch per square sip or capture so elegantly the style's rich, nectarous qualities. Although the expression is used quite commonly, few things are actually "mouth-watering" - this is. Trust me, I feel myself drooling.

Brewers will make a lot of claims about the superiority of their beer on labels. Typically, these should be taken with a heaping tablespoon of salt. However, for Ayinger to call Celebrator "the finest double bock beer" is no exaggeration. It is unequivocally, undeniably the golden standard of the style; any attempts to replicate it or even to honor it only serve to advertise that fact and endorse the superiority of its brand.

04-24-2011 16:03:11 | More by biegaman
TheLongBeachBum

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Saw the reviews so I had to try this. WOW!!!!. It cost me $2.20 a bottle, so I only got One to try. The Label itself is enough to justify the purchase. Poured with a huge browny-fluffy head full of large bubbles. Took a second or two to settle down, but kepts its head to the end. Huge nose, superb malty aromas that reminded me of the air outside when the local Brewery back in England were brewing their Stout. Caramel, small hint of dark chocolate, with soft smooth rounded malty flavors that are very morish. Very dark brown colour with some lucidity. Really full-bodied, with almost a rich toffee, syrupy aftertaste that lasts. This is a very good dark beer, with a deserved reputation. I am getting a 6-pack next time, blow the cost !.
AWESOME !!!!

09-23-2002 21:39:29 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Kwak

Celebrator Doppelbock
The mocha head had a toffieish malt flavor, it came on strong and stayed their for a
while.
Nice strong body a little oily and almost thick with a bite of spices and an almost warming effect.
The aftertaste was verry dry with a big malty taste

11-12-2002 17:33:25 | More by Kwak
Sixpack595

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

This is what a Doppel should be. Beutifull red-black color with a solid tan head. Nice malt flavor with slight hops, and a hint of fruitiness. Thick beer, leaves a syrupy mouthfeel, and combined with a fair alcohol content reassures you that you made a wise choice. Good, but not great head retention and nice lacing. Runs almost $20 a sixer here, but is worth every penny. Also saved me the hassel of buying Christmas orniments...just emptied out my mason jar full of goats. Good times.

01-01-2003 12:08:17 | More by Sixpack595
waughbrew

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Fabulous. Deep chestnut with a small creamy beige head. It is a nice combo of roastiness, smokiness, and nuttiness with low carbonation and nice lagery characteristics. Ultra-smooth yet complex. Very drinkable. Not really like any other doublebock that I have had - less body and caramel, more nutty and that little smokiness. A classic.

04-18-2004 21:26:02 | More by waughbrew
EPseja

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

I can't believe that this is the first time I'm ever having this beer.

Served from a 330ml. bottle with a neat plastic goat charm tied to the neck, at cellar temperature in my Samuel Adams Double bock glass.

A - Medium chestnut in color, pouring with some noticeable viscosity. The head just screams to come forth as it battles against the liquid still falling from the bottle. Once I pull back, the creamy sand-colored takes off for the rim of the glass, superceding it by just a little, then slowly settling and becoming more dense. The amazing, microbubbled head finally drops to a creamy island in the center, along with a thick ring around the glass edge - but after a full 6 minutes or so! Lacing is unfortunately spotty and provides the only (very slight) letdown in light of the amazing head.

S - Rich, warm hearth-baked dark molasses bread. Is there such a thing? Mmm... there should be. Nice, rich well roasted malts. The light sprinkling of hops that is (barely) noticeable adds a clean freshness that also plays off of the very subtle alcohol. Yummy.

T - "Damn." That was precisely the first word out of my mouth after completing one sip and swallow. Starts off with a candy-sweet maltiness that is quickly overtaken by a slightly yeasty-tart toastiness in the middle. I almost get a nuance of smoke in here as well... As it hits the back of the tongue, the subtle hops lend their bitterness to a drying finish. Once down, the aftertaste is bready, sweet and slightly dry. Fantastically delicious.

M - Definitely qualifies as one of the the top 5 best mouthfeels I've ever had in a beer. Soft like velvet on the way in. Creamy and fulfilling in the mouth, turning into seafoam as it moves around. The swallow is gradual, like liquid taking its time down a very slight grade. An absolute pleasure.

D - Well, all my friend Yelterdow's championing of this beer was definitely in the right place. This is an amazing Dopplebock. 'Nuff said. Less typing. More sipping. This beer is the real deal.

01-31-2007 01:00:16 | More by EPseja
MarkSCCOT

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

I am a huge fan of German beers and I have been wanting to try this particular beer...forever! Fortunately it is now available in Charleston.

Poured from a really cool bottle into a pint glass.

A. A rich dark brown with little or no head.

S. Strong bready malt aroma. Sweet molasses or brown sugar. Figs or raisins. A slight chocolate aroma.

T. Toasty bread, chocolate and tofee.

M. Like heaven! Goes down smooth with a rich toffee chocolate after taste.

D. Wow, I will have to break the bank, hide the car keys and drink a 4 pack myself.

A classic beer. The epitome of the style.

08-01-2007 22:28:29 | More by MarkSCCOT
Pauly2X

Wisconsin

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

A- Nearly black, slight amber tinge when held to a light. One finger head faded slowly to a wisp.

S- Sweet maltly aroma with a faint earthy hop pressence.

T- Fantastic! Wonderfully complex malt profile but not so complex as to force you to "think" about this beer if you'd rather just sit back and enjoy. Great sweetness held in check perfectly by just the right amount of spicy hops.

M- Smooth as silk, very full boddied.

D- The $12 a 4 pack is the only obstacle here, If only I had a better paying job...

For me, personally, It just doesn't get any better... for now.

11-27-2007 17:57:56 | More by Pauly2X
K7M

Mississippi

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

I truly regret that I only had one bottle to experience. Everything positive that I read about this beer was more than true. This is the most exceptional Doppelbock I have ever experienced. The flavor and aroma from this Beer is beyond description, suffice it to say it is as near to perfection as I have tasted.

Bocks and Dark Beers are my favorites and this is the best Dark Beer that I have had to date. Thanks to my friend John who brought this one back from a trip. I will be purchasing Celebrator on my next trip to Pensacola.

I stopped by Four Winds in Pensacola Fl and bought all that they had on the shelf.

If I had to spend the rest of my life with only one Beer, this is the Beer for me. That being said, I will continue searching for a better Beer, as it is really all about the search for perfection...

01-22-2009 19:09:05 | More by K7M
stingrayvr6

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Deep brown/red color, with malty, caramel, vanilla and molases smell. Two finger gream colored head, lingered and stuck well. Incredible taste, malty and sweet but balanced with molasses notes, and a somewhat floral taste. Very smooth vanilla caramel finish, but not too sweet. Incredible beer, my new favorite.

03-27-2009 15:41:34 | More by stingrayvr6
Newmerator

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

WOW! I can't believe I have never had one of these before

11.2oz brown bottle. poured a deeep brown with copper hues to it. nice fluffy 2 finger cream head with a tint of brown, that simmered down to a wispy lace.

smell is so inviting. sweet malts, roasted malts, a touch of hops, caramel notes to it as well.

taste: Wow. deeelicious. kinda toasty tasting (if i can say that) a bit of bread flavor also. i almost taste some fruits, like dates or figs. just really good

very smooth. feels almost chewy. light carbonation.

This is one (sorry ahead of time for cursing) f*cking delicious beer. I wish I could buy a case of this stuff. I have been mainly into craft beers. Im starting to get into dopples after having an aventinus and now this. WoW. Schroeder's here I come!!

Cheers

06-19-2009 03:09:14 | More by Newmerator
KDReeves

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Without fail, in my humble opinion, the very definition of beer.

As a doppelbock, you would expect dark, rich, nutty, flavorful experiences, and you'd be right. The richness of this brew blossoms extraordinarily. It is a strong, present contender, so young palates may raise an eyebrow more than once both at first taste and as the taste experience expands.

It's got a toasted, caramel quality to it, that twinge of sugary goodness a tiny but important aspect.

I cannot express how important it is to give this beer it's space and give it time to really flourish in your mouth. Take your time with it and enjoy the particularly fantastic aftertaste.

Without doubt, one of the finest beer experiences I've ever had, hands down. You'll rarely find my house without at least a few bottles of this. We've collected so many plastic goats - hung around the neck of each bottle; "bock" is German for "goat" - that we could start some kind of craft fair!

08-16-2009 19:00:49 | More by KDReeves