Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,832 | Reviews: 2,311

Wow, best Doppelbock I have tried so far.

A: Awesome appearance, Extremely dark with a nice head that stays as long as it's there. Gorgeous.

S: Has a great aroma of chocolate, coffee, and a strong molasses sent. It is not to overpowering though great balance.

T: Molasses is the first flavor, then it almost has a chocolate flavor to it, along with a nice malt and hops taste to it. It has a awesome sweetness to it but definitely not too much, just enough to make it flavorful, along with a little bitterness, but not at the finish. Good carbonation, the alcohol is just right. German brewing at its finest.

M: Very creamy, so damn good! Just an awesome feel to it.

D: Infinity on the Drinkability, I would get drunk on this not because I wanted to get drunk, but because it's so damn good. Highly recommend it, best Doppelbock out there.

Trust me, you need to try this, it's worth getting. Exceeds the reputation.

Pours easily with about a one finger head. Rich and dark in color and taste, and feels excellent.

This is the Mercedes Benz of Dopplebocks. Truly an outstanding beer. An alluring brown/tan/mocha color that invites the upper lip to investigate it a little further. A noseful of the caramel/cocoa aroma that these types are lusted for. Great taste that is synonymous with the scent, only amplified. It holds a bold presence as its body commands and navigates it's way past you palate and around your tongue.
Superb!

According to my opinion, and compared to approx. 2500 beers, this is by far the best beer in the world. It's absolutely flawless. Until now I have managed to taste it only from a bottle but it is said that it is available "von fass" (draught) during May. Drinking a Celebrator is a unique experience that starts from the moment it comes to your table for the first time, until... the day you die?? The first thing that will catch your eye is the bottle. I usually don't pay attention, but the uniqueness of the label and the little "bock" that hangs from it tell you two things: It's a beer that has a lot of tradition behind it, and that it is made by people who pay attention to details. And then you serve it... Its dark ruby-red / brown color plays with your imagination as well as it does with light. Its full aroma reaches your brain gradually. At first, I thought it was impossible to have a bouquet of aromas, so full and well-balanced. This beer smells of spring rain, wet wood and discreet flowers. The worst part is the 3-5 seconds wait it takes to settle. It takes for ever... But when you taste it you won't believe that such thing is possible! The world will subside and all of your senses will busy cherishing the unique feeling of drinking a Celebrator. No words. Perhaps I am over-reacting but have you tried it?

Suggestions: Serve at a temperature of ~5 deg. C in a tulip shaped glass. Accompanies well most plates (red/white meat, vegetables, fruit, chocolate) but the best way to enjoy is with just some pretzels.

Huge chocolate and dark roasted malt flavor. Outstanding beer.

Huge efferescent whiffs of cocoa's and alchohal's and hard toffee candy. Frothy and lumpy pale tan head, deep dark brown with a tint of dark red. Full body, creamy silky smooth texture. Slight roasted caramel and brown sugars on the palate. Quiet whispers of a bitter hops presense.

Compared to Optimator and Salvator, Celerbrator Doppelbock is much more mellow. Soothing to the touch, and relaxing to drink. Truely exceptional.

nice creamy froth, very smooth. It has a subdued malty taste

Poured from bottle to snifter.

Dark, dark walnut brown with very small, creamy head.

Smells kind of like molasses.

Taste is a lot like the Ayinger Dunkel, but stronger. A bit sweeter. Dark bread, molasses, coffee. I found it to have a nice bit of bitterness in the finish, more than some of the others would suggest. It really needs it to try to balance the heavy malts up front.

Mouthfeel is a bit heavy, bordering on a warm syrup, but not burdensome to drink. Carbonation is light and subdued.

Overall, like the Dunkel from this brewery, it's my favorite in the style. The Dopplebock seems to get a bit more praise but I feel the similarities through and through. It's a perfect pre-meal in a bottle on a cool autumn day. Love it!

Poured into my favorite tasting snifter (how's that for pretentious). This is one that I really have to control myself with so I can enjoy every drop!

Very opaque with frothy head that never quits.

Smells malty, a great attribute for a beer of this genre'.

Tastes malt, molasses, some hop and very light alcohol. Fills your mouth with flavor.

Feels almost perfect. Smooth, creamy and coats the tounge perfectly.

One of my favorite beers to date! I have had a lot of beers in my years and I always look forward to my next Celebrator. VERY drinkable but a shame to drink quickly.

Had this on tap at Heorot a month or so ago. Amazing beer. I will definitely seek this out again.

Color is very dark - I'd say opaque black, but others have said no so much. Heorot is VERY dark inside, so it'd be hard to get a true color eval in there. Aroma, to me, was of sweet malts.

Taste, well... malty and wonderful and dark and... gah. Must find someone with this on tap within 100 miles! It's that good. I'd drive 100 miles for a pint right now.

Bottle: Pours dark brown with a thin tan head. Not much retension. Aroma is rich with malty aromas, dark fruit, and dry roast coffee. Initial taste is nutty with a hoppy zing. Mouth feel is Smooth, creamy, and not too sweet. Toasted aroma lingers long after the head dimishes enhancing the flavor. Best doppelbock I've had yet.

WOW!
I gave this Double Bock a perfect score!

I bought a 4 pack for $9.99 (what a steal!)

I poured it in to a pilsner glass. It was a deep brownish/red color with a frothy tan head that didn't last too long but as I drank it left a fine looking lacing all the way through. perfect!

It smelled sort of sweet and of roasted malt. perfect!

The taste was heavenly, not too sweet with no hint of alcohol or bitterness. perfect!

It was creamy and smooth in the mouth with a sweet aftertaste. perfect!

This is an extremely drinkable bock. Low abv allows one to enjoy 3 or 4 over a couple of hours, either with a meal or after a meal with a good cigar. perfect!

Best beer I've had in 47 years awesome it made all my wildest dreams come true

the most wonderful smelling beer i've ever had. smooth, creamy, huge malt profile with chocolate/caramel/fruity/woody undertones...tastes absolutely spectacular and warms all the way down. words can't explain what my senses are experiencing. it's fabulous.

I have been drinking this for about a year now nice chocolate color tan long lasting head nice lacing excellentlacing nice smooth palate coffee and molesses with a slight bitter after taste this brings back fond memories when I was in the Army in Germany in a little town of Illishiem in 1970 sitting in a guest house having a few this is one of the best beers I have had in 30 some years. This is the beer I have been looking for. If there is one better would some one let me know.this is the only beer from my (ratebeer.com) that at this time I have around 278 beers rated that I have reated all 5's

liquid silk. Wove this stuff.

Nice dark pour and with a Fantastic taste. It doesn't get much better than this.

I give it a 4.5 all the way across. Tastes smooth but also reminds me more of a Dunkel. I'll say it's a great smooth easy drinking beer. They sneak up on you. Wish they came in 6 packs instead of 4 packs. 7.2% alcohol instead of 6.7%. I prefer Sneider-Weisse Dopplebock but I'd def buy this again.

Just an all around great beer. This is just my opinion, but damn near perfect for a dopple. This is my new favorite. I had it in a local place that takes pride in their German food and beer. It was a recomendation from the bartender that he hit out of the park. Thanks!

Translucent saturated brown color with a thick tan head.

Aroma is rich, malty and complex with some spicyness and some dried fruit qualities but still solidly in lager territory. The effect almost comes across like a cross between dark bread and a holiday cake.

Flavor is amazing- it follows through on the nose and adds new layers of complexity- some molasses and just the right amount of bitterness to prevent cloying.

As close to perfection as you'll find.

Too bad U.S. craft brewers cannot emulate this style very well. It is simply unmatched, especially for this particular example.

At first I had this confused with the Optimator but then after a side by side, the Celebrator is much more roasty and coffee-like.

Brilliant dark amber-brown with light brown head. A true dopplebock.

Malty sweet "goat's breath" nose on this beer, whatever that means, with some light roasted coffee aromas too. Some chocolatey toasty notes too.

Medium to full bodied. Big Malt warmth, chocolate sweetness, slight hop tang but mostly a nice, earnest malt flavor profile.

Finish is very coffee like to me. Bravo!

Appearance: Pours with a nice head that gives way to lovely hazy clouds hovering above a perfect black violet mid-summer afternoon. Yeeah.

Smell: Goddamned outstanding. Like dark chocolate & Bailey's Irish Cream.

Taste: Just perfect. I mean, my goodness. What the hell is going on here? There is nothing remotely critique-able about this beer. Not terribly complex, if that's a problem for you. Just very malty & dark chocolate-molassessy with a nice spicy finish

Mouthfeel: Like a Norman Rockwell painting in your mouth. Makes ya feel all warm & fuzzy. Like freakin' Christmas.

Drinkability: Oh, I'm celabratin' alright. This is goddam awesome. I'm reinvigorated about German brews.

Somehow I managed to find this beer on draught here in Columbus (at the Refectory). There simply cannot be a beer that I will enjoy more than this.

Served at a perfect temperature. Unbelievably easy to drink, with a light smooth malty flavor that was not too sweet. Balanced perfectly by the alcohol ratio. Just a whisper of chocolate in the aroma and flavor as well. Very dark with a medium thick beige head that diminished rather quickly, but who cares, because it was between me and this amazing beer. Now I am working on getting the Celebrator glasses from the restaurant after the beer is out of rotation.

To this point in my life, I've never had a finer beer than the one that I experienced while drinking this wonderful doppelbock. I'm not sure that I can come up with enough wonderful things to say about it. From the wonderful dark brown appearance to the smooth, chocolatey, malty taste, this beer never fails to amaze me. The first one that I ever drank totally changed the way that I look at beer. I made the mistake of drinking it freezing cold and it was still delicious. I now let this beer warm to almost room temperature before even picking it up and it gets better everytime I experience it. Best beer that I've ever had and I can't really think of a close second right now. One of the only beers that I actually hide from my wife so she won't find my stash of it!! She loves it too!

Enjoyed a Celebrator tonight with a grilled flatiron steak and baked potater. What a treat. It's hard to imagine a better brew to suit my taste (although it is such a rich beer I don't see myself drinking more than one or two at a sitting). This beer has a rich brownish-black appearance and pleasant aroma. The mouthfeel is like drinking milk although the taste is nothing like that. The taste is startlingly complex with so many recognizable pleasant flavors all at once. This beer goes down smooth and clean with no distracting after taste. It can be matched, but I don't think I've had better!