Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,277 | Hads: 5,863
3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

I poured a twelve oz. bottle into a rounded pint glass. It poured out like Pepsi with a scant tan head. It was dark but alive. It seemed like it was well carbonated. It was not dark and oily and big like a stout or porter from the British Isles. This was heavy and consistent in a different way

There was not much to the nose of this beer. No appreciable fruit, yeast, herbs, hops, anything. Just a “beer” smell. A very good beer smell, with all its goodness, but nothing really too interesting. If you read a review that says there is much more, its probably romantic glorification because I swirled and smelled and let the thing sit awhile and swirled and smelled a bit more. Maybe there was some cocoa/coffee smokiness and malt but that is all. There was no “lace” on the glass to speak of. Thats really not the point of this, though, is it?

On first taste, there was a distinct non-sweetened espresso/coffee flavor, and the aftertaste was as fizzy as hydrogen peroxide. This happened again, and I tasted and tasted and searched for complexity. There was a big malt flavor that pre-dominated, along with a stout-like coffee taste that was prevalent.

There was one saving grace here, a really faint hint of sweetness that added a little bit of depth. Don’t get me wrong, there was no alcohol flavor, and there was absolutely no hops bite here, and the mouthfeel was huge and chewy, with a good deal of carbonation present. If this was your type of drink, the drinkability here is very good- 3 or 4 would not be out of the question, if you had the intestinal fortitude and a designated driver. (1,609 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

A: poured a dark brown with a thin head that left a little sticky lacing on the glass.

S: It had brown sugar and molasses aromas with hints of belgian yeast plums and other dark fruits. There is also faint booze notes.

T: molasses and brown sugar dominate the taste which had plum and dark fruit accents. Like the nose I could detect some booze and slight chocolate flavor.

M: medium to full bodiy with a low amount of carbonation that had a sweet and very slight boozy finish.

D: it drank good and was a great interpretation of a dopplebock. I could definitely drink lots of this brew in one sitting. (605 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

The doppelbock poured a deep ruby to brownish hue, on the darker end of the ruby scale. An initial thin caramel, head existed that floated into disorganization rather quickly, so there was little to no retention. Up front date and caramel notes existed, with a bit of licorice or treacle off to the side, along with the present tone of malt. On first taste, the malt overpowers immediately, but not negatively. This is followed by some roasted characters, not unexpected. This had a creamy mouth feel with burnt umber tinges left as echoes. There is a pleasant amount of alcohol, but an amount that would not prevent this from being a session ale.

Celebrator holds a particular fondness in my heart for two reasons-

1. Shortly after discovering home brewing in spring of 1993, I went on a beer-buying excursion in Boston and this was one of the libations that I purchased, no doubt swayed by the plastic goat.

2. On a business trip to Seattle, I discovered Celebrator on draught at the Pike Pub and Brewery. Needless to say, I stumbled home after that. (1,061 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Clear reddish copper, well formed medium-tan head sticking around a while.

Aroma includes a mix of prunes, toasted malts, and sweet grapes. Alcohol can be noticed but isn't harsh.

Maltiness taking front and center stage with a modest chocolate and toasted bread. Raisin in the medium-dry finish.

Medium bodied and moderately carbonated.

Not quite as good as I remember it being. The prominent maltiness seems toned down somewhat. Will have to give it another shot in the future. (486 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a great head over top of a clear walnut coloured brew. Head settles to a heavy film that gives spotty lace.

Nose is malts, dark fruit, treacle, molasses and alcohol. Noticeably sweet. Sweet and malty to taste, some grain and alcohol. Clean, not sticky. Slightly bitter burned toffee finish, some woodiness. Lots of sturdy flavours, not for the faint of heart. (366 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer pours a dark brown, although a little red shows around the edges where the light comes through. Thick head that dissapates quickly, and laces the glass very lightly.

The smell is of malty bread, and some earthy tones.

The taste is huge malt sweetness with a little taste of hops at the end. Molasses and bread with some earthy notes. Huge and complex. Very interesting beer.

The mouthfeel is a little chewy, but the carbonation takes a little away from the overall experience.

Overall a good double bock. (526 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I drank this beer when I was in Germany visiting my brother who was stationed there.

This beer was very strong. The taste was ok, I just remember getting wasted off of this beer. I wish I could give more details, but it was memorable, that's for sure! (256 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.8%

Finally after about three years I can pair a Celebrator with my Celebrator glass.

It's dark, thats fur sure. Damn near opaque. It was a very healthy head, it dissipated within a short period.

The nose consists of dark chocolate, toffee and cherry hints, whats not to like?

Same stuff on the tongue, chocolate, cherry, toffee, some bitterness and alcohol. The bitterness is strong but very balanced.

Medium to heavy mouthfeel. I definitely dig it. I am satisfied. I'd order another. (485 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance- dark brown when held to light can seen thru, light amount of bubbles to seen with very thin head

Smell- very sweet malt nose, raisons and carmel are the thing at the forefront, very nice candied sweet smell, inviting

Taste- very sweet and malty falvor in the beginning followed by a surprisingly drying finish bringing together a certain balance, malt sweet raisons, and hoppy bitter flavor

Mouthfeel- heavy thick and bold with drying feel

Drinkability- nice flavor but a bit heavy for me to really consider sessioning, I can see why many people really like this beer but for me its just not exactly what I look for in the flavor profile of a dopplebock and overall just way more dry then I expected, (718 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.8%

Dark brown with light brown head that looks like toasted marshmallows. Not a lot of aroma, but there is fruit (raisins) and alcohol. Flavors of bitter chocolate and dry fruit abound. The alcohol aroma doesn't translate into a strong alcohol taste. Good, heavy doppelbock.

How can you tell if your Celebrator is fresh? Nothing on the bottle or four pack indicates the bottling date. The ABV is not high enough to preserve it forever. The taste and smell of bad Celebrator can be summed up in two words: Rotten tomatoes. (519 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.8%

My first dopplebock, this poured very dark and opaque brown with tan head. It smelled like wild yeast and earthy malt. It tasted like dark, sweet molasses with hops bitterness. It was thick and carbonated with a good bitter aftertaste. I wasn't really sure what to expect for this beer, but this was surprising and quite interesting. It was pretty complex and enjoyable, similar to a dark Belgian ale, with the only detractor being too much carbonation for my taste. (466 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sweet giant head with fat bubbles is about 2 inches thick. Color is a deep tan. Body is jet letting me light thru. Smokey rich malt is quite vigorous on the nose, almost meaty in smell. as it enters the mouth you get dark coffee notes. Smokey malt is the second wave but light and slightly watered down. Deep rithness is long on the mouthfeel and though the finish. There may even be a hint of dark ripe fruit. Very easy drinking. For fans of dark decently malty beers. Nice Mid-range alchol also. (497 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -12%

This brew pours an opaque black color. The head is large, off-white, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is of toffee, cream, butter, and caramel. The taste is like the aroma; good but not rather faint even at the correct serving temperature. The mouthfeel, on the other hand, is wonderful: creamy, smooth, full-bodied, with moderate yet lively carbonation. Overall, this is a good doppelbock, but I would choose Andechser over it anyday, hands down. (461 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was super-psyched to see this on tap when I walked into the bar. As can be expected, expectation is the mother of all disappointments. While it was still very good, I definitely liked it better out of the bottle. Drafts alway have that certain intangible that bottled beers can't replicate, but it wasn't enough in this case. It just didn't wow me like the bottled version did. The beer still had a nice malty flavor, but there was an absent nuttiness. I would get this over most of the other beers at any bar; I just wish I could go back and not expect the world from it. (574 characters)

Poured into a .2L flute

Appearance: Pours a nearly opaque, dark chocolate-color with a quickly dissipating, fizzy, tan head. A lot of carbonation can be seen, especially near the surface.

Smell: Dark fruits and smoke are the first smells to jump out at me. Definitely some molasses in there. Also bready malts, meat, black pepper, and a little bit of bourbon. Personally, I think this flute is limiting the aroma's intensity, but this still smells quite awesome.

Taste: Dark chocolate and smoke in the beginning. Sweet berries, dark fruit, caramel/molasses, and barbecue in the middle. Toasted bready malts in the finish. Coffee seems to be spread lightly throughout, though more apparent in the beginning and finish. Aftertaste is very malty and dry, with some hoppy bitterness too.

Mouthfeel: A tad watery with tons of carbonation. Lots of malty chewiness as well. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: Complexity is good, but not all that smooth. The taste and smell are very rich, and I'm not digging the big-time maltiness. Thinking about lowering this score a little actually. (1,078 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -12%

A: Dark, but not quite opaque. Poured with one inch of light brown foam, with nice lacing throughout.
S: Roasted malts in the nose along with some plum and maybe a hint of bread.
T: Is that nuts and some molasses I taste? I wasn't expecting that. The plum I smelled lingers in the background with some raisin as well. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the hops in this brew. Good nonetheless, but nothing particularly special.
M: Medium-full bodied. Smooth and not dry.
D: It took me a while to drink one bottle. I could not see myself having more than one in a night. (570 characters)

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a dark brown to almost black, with only a light amount of amber highlights. Head formation is strong, vigorous. Off white in color.

S - Malty sweet notes, complemented with some yeast breadiness. Some peat/smoky malt notes.

T - Starts off with a light malty sweetness, which is combined with a smoky flavor. Bitterness restrained, no hopping to speak of. FInishes with a combination of bready, grainy notes and a much sweeter malt note. The after taste has some alcohol warmth.

M - Moderate beer body, but comes across stronger due to its seemingly potent carbonation profile.

D - Deceiving ABV - very manageable. Not filling, which does go against the highly carbonated sensation going down. Smooth sweetness cuts down on palette fatigue.

Not my favorite DB, but a good beer all around. (826 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

First thing that stands out is the hard water taste, a big turn off for me personally.

The beer smells of a good quality double bock.

Taste is decent, minus the iron.

mouthfeel is good, not too foamy or carbonated and fun to drink.

overall i would give the beer a 3.7 because its not really standing out from other double bocks i have had in the past. (356 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured a deep dark brown with a creamy tan head, good retention with minor lacing.

Smell is sweet with strong fruit odors including banana with a touch of oak.

Taste is quite the contrast of the big sweet fruity smell. Very dark musty oaken malt with a touch of cocoa and an earthy hop finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a bit of a dry finish.

A pretty good doppel, easy to drink, will have again. (418 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Picked this up during the NEPA Beer Club April split. This was the first beer from my batch that I tried. Ayinger pours a wonderful shade of ruby red with thin, tan head. Aroma of roasted nutiness and dark fruits greet the nose. Taste is little chewy up front, but the finish is quite smooth. Some malts and raisin are noticeable in the flavor. Not a filling beer and actually quite good. (388 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Very dark. Brown and red coloring. Light doesn't pass well through the beer. 1/2in head that dissipates slowly. Foam slightly clings to the glass. After a while, no head or foam exists.

S- A strong smell of malts. Smells sweet. Bread like. Very earthy. I also get a hint of nuttiness.

T- A lot of sweetness with a lot of caramel tastes. Not a lot of bitterness. The taste intensifies as it gets warmer.

M- Smooth and heavy. The beer coats the pallet and the taste lingers a while. Low carbonation.

D- This is a great beer. This is one beer I stock up on when I can get my hands on it, but I can only have one of these beers in a sitting. (673 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

12 oz bottled poured into a Duvel snifter.

Appearance - Black body. Light brown head. Medium-low retention.

Smell - Toast. Lots of toast. Coffee. Woody. Earthy. Slightly grainy.

Taste - Malty sweetness. Bitter middle. Mild bitter finish. Astringent aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Creamy. Mild. Some astringency. Nothing bad or overpowering.

Overall Drinkability - Good, enjoyable hardcore session beer. Guess that's why they call it Celebrator. (442 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

A- 1/4" tan head. Dark brown clear body. Thin lacing that covers the top.
S-Caramel and deep malts. Very sweet smell. Some light hops.
T- Some caramel flavors. Malts with some toffee flavors. Light hops accents. The yeast comes through also. Pretty sweet flavors. More coffee flavors come out as warms up a bit.
M- Medium body, light to medium carbonation.
D- It is pretty good.Not huge fan of the dopplebock style though. I think I prefer the Spaten Optimator. (467 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

I had a bottle of Celebrator several years ago, before I was versed in double bocks, and thought it was too extreme. After sampling more of the style, I felt ready to try it again, especially after reading all the raves here on BeerAdvocate.

It looks just like it should, very dark with a nice foamy head. It smells of malt, malt and malt, The taste is good, but just a little lighter than I was expecting. This is really picking nits, but I found Primator's Double Bock to be better (namely sweeter) which is why I've only given the taste a 3.5 instead of 4. But that is very subjective.

It has a good mouthfeel: super-smooth and glassy.

Celebrator is a good choice. But I feel it stands almost equally with the other double bocks I've reviewed. I'm beginning to think that double bocks are like porter: hard to mess up. The differences between them come down to personal preference. Enjoy it along with Optimator and Primator. And I look forward to trying more of this great style. (992 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Picked this up a couple weeks ago at my local beer store. Have had this before on cask during Oktoberfest. I wasn’t too impressed with it then but I know I’ll like this better. Drank out of my Laughing Dog pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a super dark amber-brown with a lovely foamy two finger sand tan head. Leaves great cap and collar along with superior lacing. Great looking brew.
Smell- Surprisingly fruity. Plums, raisins and other assorted dark fruits fill the nose. Light malt smokiness with a touch of something that smells like peanut brittle. Smell reminds me a lot of HotD Adam.
Taste- Starts out with a touch of malty sweetness that is not cloying in the least. Again, like the nose there is a slight smokiness but not as prevalent as the smell. Lightly fruity but not distracting from the malt body. Also there is a slight spicy pepperiness (definitely not a word) and hints of black licorice. Alcohol shows very very slightly.
Mouthfeel- Slightly thick and slick with mild carbonation and very slight warming on the back of the throat.
Drinkability- I really enjoyed this beer although I probably wouldn’t find myself drinking it on a regular basis. I liked it much better than on cask (although I think the liters of Oktoberfest I had before might have had a bit of effect on my judgement). It’s a fairly enjoyable beer with lots of big complex flavors. (1,372 characters)