2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,631 | Reviews: 2,176 | Show All Ratings:
beerhan

3.43/5  rDev -21%

Bottle poured into a pint glass and split. I really could not get into this beer but It probably is great if you like this style. I pours a nice dark brown with a foamy head but then everything goes down for me. Tastes and smells way too smokey and I did not find this to balance well with the caramel maltiness that much. Overall I found it just too thick and not very drinkable for what it was.

12-14-2010 15:29:22 | More by beerhan
ElCommodoro

3.43/5  rDev -21%

Poured a thick opaque black with a tiny tiny mocha head that didn't even cover all of the beer. The smell is primarily of figs and prunes. There might be some skunkiness in there too.
The taste was also very sweet and like figs. It had some hops to balance it, but not quite enough, giving it sort of a taste that I associate with the smell of the cat food I used to give my cats. So, I'm not really a fan. But it was an alright, decent beer. I don't usually ever say a beer is overly sweet because I like sweet beers, but sometimes they just are. And this one was. Too sweet, that is.

09-08-2011 07:43:27 | More by ElCommodoro
tjthresh

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev -21.7%

12 ounce bottle. Poured a beautiful mahogany with a creamy light brown head that clings well to the sides of the glass. Aroma is not at bold as I expected and that’s a let down for me. Prunes and chocolate chew are the major player. Flavors of smoke, chocolate, prune juice. abound. Full body.

12-02-2006 15:59:25 | More by tjthresh
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

3.4/5  rDev -21.7%

Got a 330mL single of this apparently epic brew at Harvest Fine Wine in West Hartford CT for $3.18. Served cold in a chilled goblet.

A hard pour of this dark brown brew gives a reluctant 1/2" of creamy tan head that settles quickly to a thin layer. A generous level of carbonation is seen clinging to the inside of the glass. The nose is spot-on, thick and bready, brown sugar, some earthy nutty kind of aspects, banana. The feel is only moderately thick, fairly dry, with a fairly aggressive carbonation. Taste is kind of muddy- some earthy bitterness, burnt molasses, maybe some anise... all lumped together, none of it is distinct. Taste is much less interesting than the smell. Finishes with lingering bitter earth, mostly dry.

Pretty mediocre in my opinion, certainly nothing special. More like a dunkel than a doppelbock, especially in the lack of sweetness or body. Can't believe it rates this highly.

10-22-2010 23:22:20 | More by BeerNinja007
danielharper

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Purchased from Woody's Smokes and Brews, Franklin, TN.

Not a big fan of Dopplebocks. Take that as you will.

This beer pours dark with a thick off-white head. Very black body, but with a reddish tinge at the bottom of the glass. The head is thick and dissipates slowly.

I found it to have a roasty, matly aroma with complex flavor notes, almost licorice-like in quality. Enjoyable.

Overall taste was very similar, although I thought it was a bit more complex, with notes of coffee, chocolate, nuts, as well as the aforementioned licorice. It also had a bitter finish and aftertaste, but not unpleasantly so.

Mouthfeel was medium, with not much else to report, and drinkability was decent. Average scores on both fronts.

A note: After drinking this beer, I happened to wander past my fiancee, who got a whiff of me and was intrigued. She's not a fan of beer in the slightest, but I think the maltiness piqued her interest. She gave me a closer whiff, then started her own "tasting" by kissing me lightly on the lips several times, each time coming back with different flavors that she liked. (She's into wine and good food, and is probably a "supertaster".) She found licorice, coffee, pistachio nuts, and even bubblegum on me, and was getting more and more into it before suddenly reeling back and realizing that some unknown "beer" taste had just wafted into her consciousness, and now she was unable to enjoy the other flavors.

Does Ayinger make cologne or mouthwash? I can only wish.

10-17-2005 00:41:37 | More by danielharper
jujubeast6000

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Reviewed 10/17/2007 (bottle):

Pours a dark brown red color body, with some head, a tannish color. Belgian aroma, dark fruit, sugary, malty. Dark roasted flavor, wood, little dark fruit. Roasted aftertaste. Some alcohol, porter-ish. Okay for a porter-like taste.

11-09-2008 14:55:37 | More by jujubeast6000
dotsonjamesg

Arkansas

3.35/5  rDev -22.8%

Bocks to me are just...eh, bleh. They aren't bad but I have never been truly impressed with them. I have never had an "A" graded bock so when I found "Ayinger Celebrator" I was curious. I wasn't sure if I was willing to pay $12.40 for a four pack of beer, especially for a bock. I have no problem throwing that money down for an four-pack, or even a single 22oz, of Imperial Stout but I just can't imagine paying that much for something with such little alcohol content and flavor.

I figure if this brew has such a good reputation, it must be worth trying it at least once. I just hope I don't get let down. Seeing the goats on the bottle reminded me of "Beerfest." "If you can drink Ram's piss, you can drink anything!"

Appearance: Poured a dark, filtered, cola brown with a dense of white head with moderate little, to light, retention and about the same for the lacing. The froth left on the side quickly dissipated and slide off the walls of my pint cup fairly quick. Not impressed.

Smell: The nose is pretty light and crisp with some earthy tones and bitter maltiness hidden in there. The brew is not very aromatic or impressive.

Taste: Bitter malty sweetness in the beginning that moves in to a subtle vortex of complexity. Hints of vanilla, chocolate, and fruit are subtle but still present. Light, malty, vanilla-like, bitter-sweetness lingers on for a bit after each gulp.

Mouthfeel: The medium body and low, yet smooth, carbonation really the brew go down easy.

Drinkability: In terms of alcohol content and flavor, its not worth a second try. I have another three from the four pack and I think that is going to be it for me. The brew itself is drinkable but it doesn't have a unique bite, nor is it high in alcohol. There really isn't any reason why I would buy this again.

Samuel Adam's had a lot more flavor, alcohol, and was cheaper. Plus I got twice as drunk for 3% less. Boo to Celebrator!

Germany aint got shit on American brewing!

Cheers!

-James

04-19-2009 02:01:34 | More by dotsonjamesg
gregb13

3.35/5  rDev -22.8%

Cool bottle with a souvenir plastic goat aruond the neck. Looks like Coke with a tiny head and lacing. Not especially impressive, decent carbonation. Smells of dark, dried and candied fruit. Taste: caramelized sugar, raisins, dark bread (pumpernickel/rye), booze. Bittersweet aftertaste lingers slightly. This is pleasant but extremely overhyped. I would not jump through hoops to get it.

11-06-2011 06:54:43 | More by gregb13
Bruiser81

Kansas

3.33/5  rDev -23.3%

This brew poured dark brown with a deep ruby hue around the edges when held to the light. There was a big fizzy head that disappeared quickly which both surprised and disappointed me. The aroma is sort of tannic with a hint of sweetness and alcohol. Upon first sip I immediately thought this brew was going to be too sweet, however it doesn't finish that way. The middle is of alcohol finishing up with a little bit of hops to balance all that malty sweetness. Overall I was disappointed with this brew especially after all the good reviews. I think I'm starting to notice a trend, I don't care to much for this style of brew.

02-19-2003 18:58:48 | More by Bruiser81
Naes

3.3/5  rDev -24%

Appearance is brownish, black with hints of red showing through. The head is huge, sticky and milk chocolate colored.

The aroma is of super fermented malt.

Flavor is a complex blend of malts followed by a sugary sweetness. I think it tastes much better than it smells.

Moth feel is medium bodied and smooth.

An easily drinkable beer, but I would like to follow it with something different.

07-02-2005 04:55:45 | More by Naes
WoodBrew

3.3/5  rDev -24%

In Johnstown again for work so I went to Tulunes Southside Saloon....again! My second beer on this evening was the Celebrator Doppelbock from Ayinger. Not a Doppelbock fan so my grade for this beer will not be as high as others. The color was a ruby clear amber. The aroma had hints of honey and malt. The taste was very tart and sweet. Not a huge fan of the sweet malts that are generally put in Doppels. Due to the sweetness, the mouthfeel was rated lower than other beers.

04-29-2011 00:40:09 | More by WoodBrew
Winter

Wisconsin

3.28/5  rDev -24.4%

Celebrator pours black in color with mahongany hues. Its creamy tan head only lingered briefly before fading. The body has a syrupy cling to the side of the glass. Aroma seems to consists of dark fruit, fig, feint chocolate malt and mineral water. Mouthfeel seems thinner than I'd expect from a doppelbock, but borders on being medium-bodied. Taste was somewhat of a disappointment and hard to pin down. Flavors of coffee, malt and alcohol are combined with a raisiny finish. Celebrator isn't as sweet, malty and flavorful as other doppelbocks I've tried in the past. A bit of a let down.

03-13-2003 07:55:19 | More by Winter
TPSReports

Alabama

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours completely opaque -- which I expected. What I did not expect was a lack of head. I poured this baby into a chalice, and I was greated with a minimal short lived dark brown head that settled into a small island in the middle of the chalice with a ring around the edge.

The aroma of this brew is unusual to me. Granted, I am no expert of Doppelbock's, but this is definitely different. I'm not sure exactly what the smell is -- stale roasted peanut shells, maybe. But lighter. Yes, I am confused and the beer is right here in front of me.

The taste is interesting. Much lighter than a stout, which is what I was somewhat expecting to taste. Apparently, I should have less preconceived notions. In any event, the taste is not complex. It is straightfoward without much depth, to my palate.

There is little carbonation feel, and the density is light and floaty -- not milky or creamy on the tongue.

I have three more of these in the cellar. I will drink them at some point or trade them with some friends who have a higher apprectiation for this beer.

06-09-2005 01:23:45 | More by TPSReports
wolfinthemirror

Oklahoma

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a weizen glass it pours a deep dark cherry color when held to the light. it is fairly dark and lots of fine bubbles can be seen traveling the glass. Nice foamy head that reduces to a thin layer of suds.

In the nose I get sweet malts and confections, and I can detect the alcohol. Has a very robust smell.

Taste is a sort of burnt bitter, or roasted malt with an almost medicinal taste. it seems to have some sourness to it as well. A bit one-dimensional, in my opinion.

in the mouth it feels somewhat thin and sticky, though it is medium bodied with high carbonation.

It's fairly drinkable but 1 or 2 would probably be enough for me, but it's obviously not a session brew. It would probably be a long while before I would decide to get this again. Not really worth the $3 price tag on the 11.2 oz bottle. But the ram is cool.

04-08-2010 05:04:49 | More by wolfinthemirror
battlekow

Wisconsin

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

Celebrator looks awesome. It's a thick brown with a huge tan head that soon fades to a thin, even layer of bubbles. Plus--the necklace! How many beers are classy enough to have a necklace?

The primary scent is like baby food. I think it's a combination of caramel and dark fruits/anise, but to me it comes off as candied carrots. I'm not a fan of candied carrots.

The taste, fortunately, gets it better; the caramel and anise are more distinct. There's a little nuttiness, and it finishes with a very pleasant roasted flavor. I'm really not getting much chocolate.

Celebrator was okay, but honestly, this seems more like a weird nut brown ale than a doppelbock lager.

10-25-2005 20:45:39 | More by battlekow
Reiksguard

Rhode Island

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured out of a bottle into a glass for tasting.

As soon as I cracked open the cap, I thought I was in love with this beer. Lots os malt and dark fruit aromas. The taste was just as exceptional with a little warmth from the alcohol. However, that is when it started to fall apart. The beer started to develop almost a bitter metalic aftertaste that continued for an extended period of time. It certainly did not finish clean. Also, the mouthfeel was a little thin.

Given everyone else's positive review, I will probably try the beer again in case I got a bad bottle, but the poor after taste was a big turn off.

02-13-2009 01:15:56 | More by Reiksguard
gkunkle

Oregon

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours a dark ruddy brown with a small white head. Smells of dark malt and dark fruit. I am curious to see how this will turn out now. Taste was a bit of a punch in the mouth for me, the smell got me going, but the taste didn't land for me. I found it to be thick and rich, definitely a lot of flavor, with the molasses and dark fruits coming in strong. Overall, I don't think I'll seek this out again until I have a greater appreciation for it.

04-09-2011 22:20:50 | More by gkunkle
Murrhey

Montana

3.18/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into a mug. Reviewed live.

A- Pours a thin off-white head with little retention. Some ring of lacing. Mahogany color with nice clarity.

S- Dark grains and malts. Actually a very subtle smell. Hard to pick up on it.

T- Malts and dark fruits. Again, subtle. Can taste a bit of the booze though.

M- Medium thickness with a nice body and clean finish.

O- Honestly, I was expecting more from this beer.

03-31-2012 04:21:01 | More by Murrhey
Ineedabeerhere

Rhode Island

3.15/5  rDev -27.4%

I had this the other night. With the great reviews, I was expecting a bit more, but in general I'm not a huge fan of the style.

This beer had a good appearance but the aroma and taste were far too malty for me. This beer tasted sweet and I couldn't detect any other flavors (aside from molasses) that were doing much for me. The drinkability was average, but honestly I would have rated it lower probably because I was getting too much sweetness... and none of the creamy or smoothness that you might expect.

I suppose that I could appreciate how someone would like this, but its not one that I would go for. Its a shame because I went in expecting much more. I rather go for a substantial brown ale or porter in the same ABV range.

10-25-2008 00:04:00 | More by Ineedabeerhere
Boilermaker88

3.1/5  rDev -28.6%

Picked this up based on my goal of trying all 50 Top Beers. Not sure what all the fuss is about....
Poured a dark-cherry tinged, black color with a quick-fading tan head.
Smell was fruity sweet - raisins, dates, plums - over a big malt base. Also some caramel toffee and maybe a hint of coffee.
Taste was complex. Again, sweet with plums, raisins, etc and toffee notes over a malt base. Alcohol bite in the finish but not bad. Still, I was expecting something more that would really get me excited about the beer. It never happened.
Feel was syrupy, slick and on the heavy side of medium-bodied.
For drinkability, I can't say I'd be searching for this beer again soon. It didn't appeal to my palate. Not sure what all the hype and high marks are for, but then that means I won't be taking any away from those who enjoy it.

08-10-2003 23:20:01 | More by Boilermaker88
Buildscharacter

Georgia

3.08/5  rDev -29%

I was actually dissapointed in this brew. I figured that I would be a shoe in for someone that would enjoy a good doppelbock, but nope.. wasn't for me.

I really liked the way it looked int he glass with it's tall head and dark color. There's even a nice red hue when you hold it up to the light. Then I smelled it. It smells bitterish kind of like a beligum beer, but not really. I'm terrible at explaining scents, it just smelled off. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

Anyway, so I tasted the little thing :)

Little sour, little bitter. Malty, taste of oats and earth. Spicy aftertaste, warming.

I wasn't a fan, but I'm the vast majority, so who knows. Give it a shot.
I'll have to try another bottle in hopes that it'll be a little better.

06-18-2005 20:29:58 | More by Buildscharacter
MrVonzipper

3.05/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a dark cola brown with a short bubbly tan head.

Nose is very mild and subdued. Watery dark fruit. Raisin. Plum. Prunes.

Flavor is similar to the nose but a little better. Again mild watered down dark fruit. Plum, prune, figs and raisin. Some dark euro malt.

Mouth is light bodied with med+ creamy carb.

Overall this is a little bit of a disappointment after not having one in about 6-7 years. I remember it being better. I think my palate is just better trained now. Not a bad beer by any means. Easy to drink. Just nothing special.

07-16-2012 09:40:19 | More by MrVonzipper
SneakyPotato

Utah

3.03/5  rDev -30.2%

A- Pleasing to look at, and the head was beautiful while it lasted, which wasn't long. It did retain a small froth on the top, all the way to the end. I was very pleased with this. As the head subsided, there were small white "floaties", which I haven't seen in other beers. My glass was clean.

S- I was not really expecting how sweet and light this beer smells when it's compared to it's looks. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read somebody else's review, but it definitely smells like raisins and malt, with a slight alcohol smell on the nose.

T- Initial taste is sweet malt and raisin, followed by a dry yet smooth middle, finished by a slight alcohol taste on the tongue. After my pint was half finished, the initial flavors seemed to have subsided and all that was really present was the bitterness, but not the roasted malt kind.

M- This beer definitely coats your mouth, but I personally don't really like the flavor that it leaves. Its reminiscent of drinking cold medicine and having that taste in your mouth afterwards. It's not a heavy beer at all, despite what some people say.

O- I gave this beer a fair review, and I can definitely say there's a lot of good about it. I just recognize that it really isn't my cup of tea (or beer). It was definitely worth a try though, and I would recommend it heartily to people that don't enjoy lighter beers and dislike the charred coffee taste of stouts and lagers. It's sweeter and not as harsh as some of the stouts that I enjoy, but I wasn't much of a fan of the alcohol on the nose and palate. I feel like it needed more body and more complex flavors to compliment the alcohol finish.

01-25-2014 01:29:13 | More by SneakyPotato
sprinkle

Pretty disappointed in this beer.Its not a bad beer but desent color of brownish/black.Not much nose on it.Not to malty in your mouth,just a little bit to light.I read somewhere that this was the mother of all dopplebocks...not quite

03-27-2002 17:54:37 | More by sprinkle
warmstorage

11.2 ounce bottle from BevMo Sacramento (Arden Way), poured into wide-mouthed wine glass, cold cellar temp. Silly plastic horse tschotke hanging on the neck (silly since it's a waste of resources, and I'll throw it away.)

Pours with a medium dense brown head that mostly goes away.

Aroma is chocolate and roast and metal.

Taste is fruity, thick, chocolate, roast, plum, (fig?), with distinct smokiness. Not as much metallic taste as the nose would have suggested, but still unpleasantly there.

Finishes warm with alcohol and tingly mouth.

Overall, a good DB, and a good beer, but I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Really, a pretty average beer.

11-30-2006 03:07:36 | More by warmstorage