Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,283 | Hads: 5,906
3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Picked this up during the NEPA Beer Club April split. This was the first beer from my batch that I tried. Ayinger pours a wonderful shade of ruby red with thin, tan head. Aroma of roasted nutiness and dark fruits greet the nose. Taste is little chewy up front, but the finish is quite smooth. Some malts and raisin are noticeable in the flavor. Not a filling beer and actually quite good. (388 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Very dark. Brown and red coloring. Light doesn't pass well through the beer. 1/2in head that dissipates slowly. Foam slightly clings to the glass. After a while, no head or foam exists.

S- A strong smell of malts. Smells sweet. Bread like. Very earthy. I also get a hint of nuttiness.

T- A lot of sweetness with a lot of caramel tastes. Not a lot of bitterness. The taste intensifies as it gets warmer.

M- Smooth and heavy. The beer coats the pallet and the taste lingers a while. Low carbonation.

D- This is a great beer. This is one beer I stock up on when I can get my hands on it, but I can only have one of these beers in a sitting. (673 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

12 oz bottled poured into a Duvel snifter.

Appearance - Black body. Light brown head. Medium-low retention.

Smell - Toast. Lots of toast. Coffee. Woody. Earthy. Slightly grainy.

Taste - Malty sweetness. Bitter middle. Mild bitter finish. Astringent aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Creamy. Mild. Some astringency. Nothing bad or overpowering.

Overall Drinkability - Good, enjoyable hardcore session beer. Guess that's why they call it Celebrator. (442 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

A- 1/4" tan head. Dark brown clear body. Thin lacing that covers the top.
S-Caramel and deep malts. Very sweet smell. Some light hops.
T- Some caramel flavors. Malts with some toffee flavors. Light hops accents. The yeast comes through also. Pretty sweet flavors. More coffee flavors come out as warms up a bit.
M- Medium body, light to medium carbonation.
D- It is pretty good.Not huge fan of the dopplebock style though. I think I prefer the Spaten Optimator. (467 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

I had a bottle of Celebrator several years ago, before I was versed in double bocks, and thought it was too extreme. After sampling more of the style, I felt ready to try it again, especially after reading all the raves here on BeerAdvocate.

It looks just like it should, very dark with a nice foamy head. It smells of malt, malt and malt, The taste is good, but just a little lighter than I was expecting. This is really picking nits, but I found Primator's Double Bock to be better (namely sweeter) which is why I've only given the taste a 3.5 instead of 4. But that is very subjective.

It has a good mouthfeel: super-smooth and glassy.

Celebrator is a good choice. But I feel it stands almost equally with the other double bocks I've reviewed. I'm beginning to think that double bocks are like porter: hard to mess up. The differences between them come down to personal preference. Enjoy it along with Optimator and Primator. And I look forward to trying more of this great style. (992 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Picked this up a couple weeks ago at my local beer store. Have had this before on cask during Oktoberfest. I wasn’t too impressed with it then but I know I’ll like this better. Drank out of my Laughing Dog pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a super dark amber-brown with a lovely foamy two finger sand tan head. Leaves great cap and collar along with superior lacing. Great looking brew.
Smell- Surprisingly fruity. Plums, raisins and other assorted dark fruits fill the nose. Light malt smokiness with a touch of something that smells like peanut brittle. Smell reminds me a lot of HotD Adam.
Taste- Starts out with a touch of malty sweetness that is not cloying in the least. Again, like the nose there is a slight smokiness but not as prevalent as the smell. Lightly fruity but not distracting from the malt body. Also there is a slight spicy pepperiness (definitely not a word) and hints of black licorice. Alcohol shows very very slightly.
Mouthfeel- Slightly thick and slick with mild carbonation and very slight warming on the back of the throat.
Drinkability- I really enjoyed this beer although I probably wouldn’t find myself drinking it on a regular basis. I liked it much better than on cask (although I think the liters of Oktoberfest I had before might have had a bit of effect on my judgement). It’s a fairly enjoyable beer with lots of big complex flavors. (1,372 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours dark brown with a reddish tinge. Thick tan head leaves a thin ring around the glass.

Smells like roasted malts and chocolate. Not too powerful but just right.

Begins with a heavy roasted flavor and finishes with a bitter malt ending. A little coffee in there also. Not bad at all.

Mouthfeel was good. By the looks of it I was not expecting the carbonation that was hiding in there. (391 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Potsdam IGA. I remember having this on tap in Munich after searching for a bit and it was tremendous so let's see how the bottle is.

A - Pours nearly black with red edges. Bright. One finger fizzy light brown head. Some visible carbonation. Almost no lace and a film of retention.

S - Smells of rich malts. A little bit of red port and sugar with strong dark fruits. Absolutely lovely. Very inviting.

T - Dark fruits and sugar. Some more rich maltiness with pumpernickle bread. Less complex and rich than the aroma but still nice.

M - Dry finish might be holding this back. Tingly carbonation and full body.

O/D - A good one, but lacking. Doesn't live up to the aroma. Still good and tasty, but I would only have one. (736 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Well appearance big foamy head dark beer with about a one finger head once settled.

S - Dark plum or raisan smell is what is detected from the pour.

T - Okay slightly metallic rum and slight raison again.

M - Kind of a slick feel with some notes in the background.

D - Okay wanted to give a better score maybe its justs this brew or a bad shelf life. (354 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

This was my first experience with bock beer and I cannot say that I regret it at all. It felt thick as it filled my glass and settled a dark color with a little red visible. The head was nice and tan and lasted for a considerable amount of time and then receded into a nice lace that followed the beer to the bottom of the glass. It smelled of damp, smokey wood. the taste was great with some sweet molasses flavors and also some apple flavor, and a carmel finish. It definitely seemed to get sweeter as I neared the end of the pint.

(8/3/03)re-rate after a taste with a more scruitinizing palette.
After further tastes I have to say I like Aventinus a fair bit better. After finishing a 6er of it I feel like Celebrator reminds me too much of coca cola. To spritzy without enough character. (796 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

I can probably count on one hand how many different Doppelbocks I have had. Based on reviews, this is the premier example of the style. Here is my review:

A: First off, this has probably got the coolest bottle I have ever seen. Highly colorful label and it comes with a free toy. Nice! The beer itself is a dark brown color. Light does penetrate through the beer. Brown head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S: Smells very sweet. Raisin, dark fruit, hints of coffee, and some earthy notes.

T: Big complexity. The initial taste is brown sugar. Raisins, plums, earthy undertones, and quite a bit of coffee in the finish. Alcohol does come through in the flavor as well.

M: Medium bodied and very prickly in the mouth. Not prickly from carbonation, but from the alcohol. Coats the mouth somewhat. Leaves alcohol warmth in the throat. Not very smooth.

D: This beer drinks more like a stronger beer. It is only 6.7%ABV, but seems more like a 7.5% or higher. This is a sipper. Alcohol comes through quite a bit, but is not too harsh. It is quite filling as well.

This easily takes the cake as the best Doppelbock I have tried. That being said, I really like this beer, but I am not crazy over it. Definetly something that you buy once in a while, its not going to be a staple in the fridge. (1,314 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

A - poured a deep dark brown (almost black) with ruby undertones. not much in the way of head or lace

S - sweet (burnt sugar), malt complexity, rich, caramelly, milky

T - bready malt, sweet, hint of dark fruit, pinch of spice

M - chewy, thick bodied, super smooth & velvety

D - if you enjoy a sweetened malty concoction then this is the brew for you. definitely an enjoyable sipping beer after dinner, not sure I'd pound more than one of these at a time though. (465 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: Deep mahogany with a mottled tan/off-white head. The head is thick and rocky, but has only fair retention and very little lacing. The carbonation appears fine and mild.

Smell: Somewhat mild. Starts with a malty combo of dark fruit, molasses and caramel. Hints of cardboard. Some flowery/apple yeast esters.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A nice blend of sweet and smoke, with strong malt, burnt sugar, caramel and cola flavors, although it's not nearly as sweet as I might have expected. The finish is dry and bitter with hints of tobacco smoke. A sweetness lingers long into the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is surprisingly macro, with sharp carbonation and a fairly light body.

Drinkability: Good; it's flavorful, pleasant and fairly light bodied, especially for a 6.7% ABV brew.

Tasty, but not exceptional or unique. I wouldn't refuse another, but I wouldn't seek one out, either. (890 characters)

Sampled: 10.30.05

Appearance is dark with reddish hues. Looks almost like root beer. A thick head of foam upon pour, fades slowly leaving moderate lacing.

Aroma is at first a touch metallic. Not sure how long this one had been sitting in the cooler, but it may have been suspect. I was a little disappointed as I knew the potential of the brew, but further sniffs warranted slight redemption. Roasted malts and brown sugar rose up to tickle my nostrils.

Taste was better than the smell. Phew! Very roasty, with HUGE malt presence. Sweet like molasses, but an excellent bitter hop finish created a nice balance. The beer was low carbed in the mouth and while it felt lighter early in the glass (colder), it felt like it thickened and got richer as it warmed. Never too much, but a definitive difference over the time period in which I drank it.

The malts are huge here, so depending on how much you like that aspect will determine how drinkable this is. I’m still new to the doppelbock realm (only my second), so I’m still acquiring the taste for what I’m looking for. It made it a slow goer for me, but one I enjoyed while it went. (1,146 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Definitely one of the best and most potent doppelbocks available! Smooth and tasty with no harshness at all! Make sure you have a designated driver or enjoy at home!!! (167 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

Got a bottle of this as part of the PhD program at Cloverleaf.

A: Pours a brown body with a tan head with decent retention overall and nice lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: An old, earthy, burnt malt smell that was quite enticing.

T: A burnt, malty taste with a slightly fruity aftertaste. Hints of figs seemed to be evident in the aftertaste.

M: A little on the thin side for a doppelbock, but still very good nonetheless.

D: A fairly drinkable beer. Due to the high malt content, it starts to fill you up towards the end of the beer. Due to this, the lighter mouthfeel makes the beer easier and more fun to enjoy. Definitely will have again and recommended. (671 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

Purchased a mini growler from Halftime. Pours a dark mahogany into my La Fin Du Monde tulip. Little tan head wih no lacing.

Smells malty sweet.

Tastes as it smells malty and sweet with a smoky dry finish.

Feels wonderful in the mouth. Perfect mix of carbnonation and body.

I could drink this brew all night. It is sooo smooth. (330 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured a deep brown/red color with a very quickly dissipating tan head. No lacing whatsoever.

Aroma is slightly melanoidin/caramel, with some nice roasty maltiness. Maybe a very slight hop spiciness.

Flavor is sweet malt with a touch of roastiness. There is an astringency on the finish which detracts from the overall enjoyment a bit.

Mouthfeel is pretty full bodied with a pretty big prickly carbonation bite.

Overall, not a bad beer. I'll have to revisit this one in the future. (494 characters)

Poured into my Troegenator mug

Pours a deep amber brown with ruby highlights. Almost no head and no lacing down the glass.

Smells like dark fruits, bread, caramel, hint of roast.

Taste is exactly like the smell, plum comes to mind with caramel peaking through. Roast/smoke makes an appearance midway through the sip. Finishes with a slight alcohol burn. Its a little light on flavor- totally unexpected.

Mouthfeel is full and gently carbonated.

Drinkability is good, its filling, but it finishes clean and is very nice.

Give me a Trogenator over this, but not by much. (574 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -13.2%

No bottle number, it's a mystery..

Purchased @ Tulley's, Wells Maine

Price - $14.00/4-pack

Appearance: Dark burgundy in color. If poured aggressively it reveals a 2 finger off white head. Lacing present on the glass.

Smell: Roasted malts up front with molasses following up the rear. No fruit smell present that I could detect.

Taste: Slight smoke taste with molasses. Hops are begging to come through but not unleashed.

Mouthfeel: Slightly creamy with a dry finish.

Drinkability: Certainly drinkable, but slightly overated in my opinion. Something is missing..

I keep this in stock at the house however it isn't a beer I crave. It has a strong reputation but in my opinion I'll take Andechs Dopplebock Dunkel every day of the week over this. Still a fine example of a Double Bock and well respected. (811 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

This beer starts out with a burnt fruit aroma, it smells a bit sweet. Dark brown to black in color. Supprisingly not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. A subtle mild burnt malt taste, with alcohol evident in the finish. Predominantly malty with a bit of hop bitterness evident. A hint of burn raisin flavor in it as well. (323 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

12 ounce bottle bought from BevMo in Redlands

Poured into my Westvleteren glass with a dark brown body and a thick white head

Smell was strong and full of malt

Nice sweet taste with a lot of dark fruity bites to it, particularly raisins

Good beer that could be sipped on for quite some time, could drink about 3 or 4 of these depending on the mood (351 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle with the plastic goat hanging so intently. A dopplebock that has avoided me so I bought a pack recently.

A: Dark dark crimson with a tan thin head with lasting power. Bubbles are there to be found.

S: All dark fruit and burnt wood. Sweet flavors that are rounded softly but the woodiness. I actually like the smell far more than the taste.

T: Dark chocolate, raisins and malt. I dont get the same smoked wood flavor from the aroma. Dark chocolate and smoke in the beginning. May seem like blasphemy for such a style standard, but too sweet for my taste. Molasses and malts are surely complex but not crazy about it.

M: Medium body with a creamy texture. Carbonation is well pronounced but needed some bitterness.

D: By all means a well thought out, complex dopplebock. Too chocolatey and rich too go through several but it was one I was glad to finally give a try.

I feel like Im missing something here, but I expected more. (944 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours with a sensational surface pour with thick bubbles actually cascading down the outside of the glass and up the middle of the beer. Dark amber colour, about as dark as you get before it becomes a dark beer. Very generous beige head, fading slowly but still there, quite dense. Nice lacing, not very grippy.

Very malty characters on the nose, with a tart, spicy aspect. Slight roasted aspect, but yeah, more malt than anything else - smells like a brew day. Quite nice, but would like a bit more.

Taste is quite rich and malty, with a very slight pitter pang on the back, reminiscent maybe of coffee beans. Hint of nutmeg on the front or something but can't quite pick it. There is an inexplicably chocolatey aspect lingering behind the main palate. Mouthfeel is smooth, velvety and creamy and is suitable for the flavour although part of why it's smooth is because palate feels not very complex. Nice, strong flavours especially on the back, but otherwise not too layered. Very drinkable though. (1,003 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

A: Two finger head that slowly dissipates. Transparent black with red tinges.

S: Plum and raisin. Not too strong of a smell but increases as beer warms.

T: Raisin, plum and some roasted malt. Not much hop profile. Bready.

M: Nice and smooth, nothing extraordinary though.

D: A nice drink that could be had in quantity. Nothing to spectacular to make it extraordinary though. (378 characters)