Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,292 | Hads: 5,943
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sweet giant head with fat bubbles is about 2 inches thick. Color is a deep tan. Body is jet letting me light thru. Smokey rich malt is quite vigorous on the nose, almost meaty in smell. as it enters the mouth you get dark coffee notes. Smokey malt is the second wave but light and slightly watered down. Deep rithness is long on the mouthfeel and though the finish. There may even be a hint of dark ripe fruit. Very easy drinking. For fans of dark decently malty beers. Nice Mid-range alchol also.

3.81/5  rDev -12%

This brew pours an opaque black color. The head is large, off-white, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is of toffee, cream, butter, and caramel. The taste is like the aroma; good but not rather faint even at the correct serving temperature. The mouthfeel, on the other hand, is wonderful: creamy, smooth, full-bodied, with moderate yet lively carbonation. Overall, this is a good doppelbock, but I would choose Andechser over it anyday, hands down.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was super-psyched to see this on tap when I walked into the bar. As can be expected, expectation is the mother of all disappointments. While it was still very good, I definitely liked it better out of the bottle. Drafts alway have that certain intangible that bottled beers can't replicate, but it wasn't enough in this case. It just didn't wow me like the bottled version did. The beer still had a nice malty flavor, but there was an absent nuttiness. I would get this over most of the other beers at any bar; I just wish I could go back and not expect the world from it.

Poured into a .2L flute

Appearance: Pours a nearly opaque, dark chocolate-color with a quickly dissipating, fizzy, tan head. A lot of carbonation can be seen, especially near the surface.

Smell: Dark fruits and smoke are the first smells to jump out at me. Definitely some molasses in there. Also bready malts, meat, black pepper, and a little bit of bourbon. Personally, I think this flute is limiting the aroma's intensity, but this still smells quite awesome.

Taste: Dark chocolate and smoke in the beginning. Sweet berries, dark fruit, caramel/molasses, and barbecue in the middle. Toasted bready malts in the finish. Coffee seems to be spread lightly throughout, though more apparent in the beginning and finish. Aftertaste is very malty and dry, with some hoppy bitterness too.

Mouthfeel: A tad watery with tons of carbonation. Lots of malty chewiness as well. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: Complexity is good, but not all that smooth. The taste and smell are very rich, and I'm not digging the big-time maltiness. Thinking about lowering this score a little actually.

3.81/5  rDev -12%

A: Dark, but not quite opaque. Poured with one inch of light brown foam, with nice lacing throughout.
S: Roasted malts in the nose along with some plum and maybe a hint of bread.
T: Is that nuts and some molasses I taste? I wasn't expecting that. The plum I smelled lingers in the background with some raisin as well. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the hops in this brew. Good nonetheless, but nothing particularly special.
M: Medium-full bodied. Smooth and not dry.
D: It took me a while to drink one bottle. I could not see myself having more than one in a night.

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a dark brown to almost black, with only a light amount of amber highlights. Head formation is strong, vigorous. Off white in color.

S - Malty sweet notes, complemented with some yeast breadiness. Some peat/smoky malt notes.

T - Starts off with a light malty sweetness, which is combined with a smoky flavor. Bitterness restrained, no hopping to speak of. FInishes with a combination of bready, grainy notes and a much sweeter malt note. The after taste has some alcohol warmth.

M - Moderate beer body, but comes across stronger due to its seemingly potent carbonation profile.

D - Deceiving ABV - very manageable. Not filling, which does go against the highly carbonated sensation going down. Smooth sweetness cuts down on palette fatigue.

Not my favorite DB, but a good beer all around.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

First thing that stands out is the hard water taste, a big turn off for me personally.

The beer smells of a good quality double bock.

Taste is decent, minus the iron.

mouthfeel is good, not too foamy or carbonated and fun to drink.

overall i would give the beer a 3.7 because its not really standing out from other double bocks i have had in the past.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured a deep dark brown with a creamy tan head, good retention with minor lacing.

Smell is sweet with strong fruit odors including banana with a touch of oak.

Taste is quite the contrast of the big sweet fruity smell. Very dark musty oaken malt with a touch of cocoa and an earthy hop finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a bit of a dry finish.

A pretty good doppel, easy to drink, will have again.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Picked this up during the NEPA Beer Club April split. This was the first beer from my batch that I tried. Ayinger pours a wonderful shade of ruby red with thin, tan head. Aroma of roasted nutiness and dark fruits greet the nose. Taste is little chewy up front, but the finish is quite smooth. Some malts and raisin are noticeable in the flavor. Not a filling beer and actually quite good.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Very dark. Brown and red coloring. Light doesn't pass well through the beer. 1/2in head that dissipates slowly. Foam slightly clings to the glass. After a while, no head or foam exists.

S- A strong smell of malts. Smells sweet. Bread like. Very earthy. I also get a hint of nuttiness.

T- A lot of sweetness with a lot of caramel tastes. Not a lot of bitterness. The taste intensifies as it gets warmer.

M- Smooth and heavy. The beer coats the pallet and the taste lingers a while. Low carbonation.

D- This is a great beer. This is one beer I stock up on when I can get my hands on it, but I can only have one of these beers in a sitting.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

12 oz bottled poured into a Duvel snifter.

Appearance - Black body. Light brown head. Medium-low retention.

Smell - Toast. Lots of toast. Coffee. Woody. Earthy. Slightly grainy.

Taste - Malty sweetness. Bitter middle. Mild bitter finish. Astringent aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Creamy. Mild. Some astringency. Nothing bad or overpowering.

Overall Drinkability - Good, enjoyable hardcore session beer. Guess that's why they call it Celebrator.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

A- 1/4" tan head. Dark brown clear body. Thin lacing that covers the top.
S-Caramel and deep malts. Very sweet smell. Some light hops.
T- Some caramel flavors. Malts with some toffee flavors. Light hops accents. The yeast comes through also. Pretty sweet flavors. More coffee flavors come out as warms up a bit.
M- Medium body, light to medium carbonation.
D- It is pretty good.Not huge fan of the dopplebock style though. I think I prefer the Spaten Optimator.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

I had a bottle of Celebrator several years ago, before I was versed in double bocks, and thought it was too extreme. After sampling more of the style, I felt ready to try it again, especially after reading all the raves here on BeerAdvocate.

It looks just like it should, very dark with a nice foamy head. It smells of malt, malt and malt, The taste is good, but just a little lighter than I was expecting. This is really picking nits, but I found Primator's Double Bock to be better (namely sweeter) which is why I've only given the taste a 3.5 instead of 4. But that is very subjective.

It has a good mouthfeel: super-smooth and glassy.

Celebrator is a good choice. But I feel it stands almost equally with the other double bocks I've reviewed. I'm beginning to think that double bocks are like porter: hard to mess up. The differences between them come down to personal preference. Enjoy it along with Optimator and Primator. And I look forward to trying more of this great style.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Picked this up a couple weeks ago at my local beer store. Have had this before on cask during Oktoberfest. I wasn’t too impressed with it then but I know I’ll like this better. Drank out of my Laughing Dog pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a super dark amber-brown with a lovely foamy two finger sand tan head. Leaves great cap and collar along with superior lacing. Great looking brew.
Smell- Surprisingly fruity. Plums, raisins and other assorted dark fruits fill the nose. Light malt smokiness with a touch of something that smells like peanut brittle. Smell reminds me a lot of HotD Adam.
Taste- Starts out with a touch of malty sweetness that is not cloying in the least. Again, like the nose there is a slight smokiness but not as prevalent as the smell. Lightly fruity but not distracting from the malt body. Also there is a slight spicy pepperiness (definitely not a word) and hints of black licorice. Alcohol shows very very slightly.
Mouthfeel- Slightly thick and slick with mild carbonation and very slight warming on the back of the throat.
Drinkability- I really enjoyed this beer although I probably wouldn’t find myself drinking it on a regular basis. I liked it much better than on cask (although I think the liters of Oktoberfest I had before might have had a bit of effect on my judgement). It’s a fairly enjoyable beer with lots of big complex flavors.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours dark brown with a reddish tinge. Thick tan head leaves a thin ring around the glass.

Smells like roasted malts and chocolate. Not too powerful but just right.

Begins with a heavy roasted flavor and finishes with a bitter malt ending. A little coffee in there also. Not bad at all.

Mouthfeel was good. By the looks of it I was not expecting the carbonation that was hiding in there.

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Potsdam IGA. I remember having this on tap in Munich after searching for a bit and it was tremendous so let's see how the bottle is.

A - Pours nearly black with red edges. Bright. One finger fizzy light brown head. Some visible carbonation. Almost no lace and a film of retention.

S - Smells of rich malts. A little bit of red port and sugar with strong dark fruits. Absolutely lovely. Very inviting.

T - Dark fruits and sugar. Some more rich maltiness with pumpernickle bread. Less complex and rich than the aroma but still nice.

M - Dry finish might be holding this back. Tingly carbonation and full body.

O/D - A good one, but lacking. Doesn't live up to the aroma. Still good and tasty, but I would only have one.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Well appearance big foamy head dark beer with about a one finger head once settled.

S - Dark plum or raisan smell is what is detected from the pour.

T - Okay slightly metallic rum and slight raison again.

M - Kind of a slick feel with some notes in the background.

D - Okay wanted to give a better score maybe its justs this brew or a bad shelf life.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

This was my first experience with bock beer and I cannot say that I regret it at all. It felt thick as it filled my glass and settled a dark color with a little red visible. The head was nice and tan and lasted for a considerable amount of time and then receded into a nice lace that followed the beer to the bottom of the glass. It smelled of damp, smokey wood. the taste was great with some sweet molasses flavors and also some apple flavor, and a carmel finish. It definitely seemed to get sweeter as I neared the end of the pint.

(8/3/03)re-rate after a taste with a more scruitinizing palette.
After further tastes I have to say I like Aventinus a fair bit better. After finishing a 6er of it I feel like Celebrator reminds me too much of coca cola. To spritzy without enough character.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

I can probably count on one hand how many different Doppelbocks I have had. Based on reviews, this is the premier example of the style. Here is my review:

A: First off, this has probably got the coolest bottle I have ever seen. Highly colorful label and it comes with a free toy. Nice! The beer itself is a dark brown color. Light does penetrate through the beer. Brown head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S: Smells very sweet. Raisin, dark fruit, hints of coffee, and some earthy notes.

T: Big complexity. The initial taste is brown sugar. Raisins, plums, earthy undertones, and quite a bit of coffee in the finish. Alcohol does come through in the flavor as well.

M: Medium bodied and very prickly in the mouth. Not prickly from carbonation, but from the alcohol. Coats the mouth somewhat. Leaves alcohol warmth in the throat. Not very smooth.

D: This beer drinks more like a stronger beer. It is only 6.7%ABV, but seems more like a 7.5% or higher. This is a sipper. Alcohol comes through quite a bit, but is not too harsh. It is quite filling as well.

This easily takes the cake as the best Doppelbock I have tried. That being said, I really like this beer, but I am not crazy over it. Definetly something that you buy once in a while, its not going to be a staple in the fridge.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

A - poured a deep dark brown (almost black) with ruby undertones. not much in the way of head or lace

S - sweet (burnt sugar), malt complexity, rich, caramelly, milky

T - bready malt, sweet, hint of dark fruit, pinch of spice

M - chewy, thick bodied, super smooth & velvety

D - if you enjoy a sweetened malty concoction then this is the brew for you. definitely an enjoyable sipping beer after dinner, not sure I'd pound more than one of these at a time though.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: Deep mahogany with a mottled tan/off-white head. The head is thick and rocky, but has only fair retention and very little lacing. The carbonation appears fine and mild.

Smell: Somewhat mild. Starts with a malty combo of dark fruit, molasses and caramel. Hints of cardboard. Some flowery/apple yeast esters.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A nice blend of sweet and smoke, with strong malt, burnt sugar, caramel and cola flavors, although it's not nearly as sweet as I might have expected. The finish is dry and bitter with hints of tobacco smoke. A sweetness lingers long into the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is surprisingly macro, with sharp carbonation and a fairly light body.

Drinkability: Good; it's flavorful, pleasant and fairly light bodied, especially for a 6.7% ABV brew.

Tasty, but not exceptional or unique. I wouldn't refuse another, but I wouldn't seek one out, either.

Sampled: 10.30.05

Appearance is dark with reddish hues. Looks almost like root beer. A thick head of foam upon pour, fades slowly leaving moderate lacing.

Aroma is at first a touch metallic. Not sure how long this one had been sitting in the cooler, but it may have been suspect. I was a little disappointed as I knew the potential of the brew, but further sniffs warranted slight redemption. Roasted malts and brown sugar rose up to tickle my nostrils.

Taste was better than the smell. Phew! Very roasty, with HUGE malt presence. Sweet like molasses, but an excellent bitter hop finish created a nice balance. The beer was low carbed in the mouth and while it felt lighter early in the glass (colder), it felt like it thickened and got richer as it warmed. Never too much, but a definitive difference over the time period in which I drank it.

The malts are huge here, so depending on how much you like that aspect will determine how drinkable this is. I’m still new to the doppelbock realm (only my second), so I’m still acquiring the taste for what I’m looking for. It made it a slow goer for me, but one I enjoyed while it went.

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Definitely one of the best and most potent doppelbocks available! Smooth and tasty with no harshness at all! Make sure you have a designated driver or enjoy at home!!!

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

Got a bottle of this as part of the PhD program at Cloverleaf.

A: Pours a brown body with a tan head with decent retention overall and nice lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: An old, earthy, burnt malt smell that was quite enticing.

T: A burnt, malty taste with a slightly fruity aftertaste. Hints of figs seemed to be evident in the aftertaste.

M: A little on the thin side for a doppelbock, but still very good nonetheless.

D: A fairly drinkable beer. Due to the high malt content, it starts to fill you up towards the end of the beer. Due to this, the lighter mouthfeel makes the beer easier and more fun to enjoy. Definitely will have again and recommended.

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

Purchased a mini growler from Halftime. Pours a dark mahogany into my La Fin Du Monde tulip. Little tan head wih no lacing.

Smells malty sweet.

Tastes as it smells malty and sweet with a smoky dry finish.

Feels wonderful in the mouth. Perfect mix of carbnonation and body.

I could drink this brew all night. It is sooo smooth.