Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,307 | Hads: 6,009

To this point in my life, I've never had a finer beer than the one that I experienced while drinking this wonderful doppelbock. I'm not sure that I can come up with enough wonderful things to say about it. From the wonderful dark brown appearance to the smooth, chocolatey, malty taste, this beer never fails to amaze me. The first one that I ever drank totally changed the way that I look at beer. I made the mistake of drinking it freezing cold and it was still delicious. I now let this beer warm to almost room temperature before even picking it up and it gets better everytime I experience it. Best beer that I've ever had and I can't really think of a close second right now. One of the only beers that I actually hide from my wife so she won't find my stash of it!! She loves it too!

Enjoyed a Celebrator tonight with a grilled flatiron steak and baked potater. What a treat. It's hard to imagine a better brew to suit my taste (although it is such a rich beer I don't see myself drinking more than one or two at a sitting). This beer has a rich brownish-black appearance and pleasant aroma. The mouthfeel is like drinking milk although the taste is nothing like that. The taste is startlingly complex with so many recognizable pleasant flavors all at once. This beer goes down smooth and clean with no distracting after taste. It can be matched, but I don't think I've had better!

A: Deep mahogany with a perfect two-finger tan head. Mouth-wateringly good-looking.

S: The sweet bread-like maltiness as well as caramel really permeate the air, and the hoppy spice is immediately noticeable, too. It's heavenly.

T: Fan. Tastic. Rich, complex malty taste of yeast and caramel, with a molasses-like sweetness. It's the kind of taste that never, ever gets old or boring.

M: It flows so smoothly over the tastebuds with reckless abandon. The carbonation is pretty muted, which is wonderful for my tastes.

D: Any time of the day or night, it's wonderful. I don't think I could ever tire of it. The taste and aftertaste is enough goodness to make a grown beer enthusiast cry.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Without fail, in my humble opinion, the very definition of beer.

As a doppelbock, you would expect dark, rich, nutty, flavorful experiences, and you'd be right. The richness of this brew blossoms extraordinarily. It is a strong, present contender, so young palates may raise an eyebrow more than once both at first taste and as the taste experience expands.

It's got a toasted, caramel quality to it, that twinge of sugary goodness a tiny but important aspect.

I cannot express how important it is to give this beer it's space and give it time to really flourish in your mouth. Take your time with it and enjoy the particularly fantastic aftertaste.

Without doubt, one of the finest beer experiences I've ever had, hands down. You'll rarely find my house without at least a few bottles of this. We've collected so many plastic goats - hung around the neck of each bottle; "bock" is German for "goat" - that we could start some kind of craft fair!

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Deep brown/red color, with malty, caramel, vanilla and molases smell. Two finger gream colored head, lingered and stuck well. Incredible taste, malty and sweet but balanced with molasses notes, and a somewhat floral taste. Very smooth vanilla caramel finish, but not too sweet. Incredible beer, my new favorite.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with some red hues. Head dissipated quickly, but I probably used to wide a glass (like a goblet).

Smell: Lots of molasses, some dark fruit (cherries, etc), malty.

Taste: Again with the dark fruit and molasses. Slightly sweet with a little tartness. No bitterness. Bready aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Full and rich with relatively mild carbonation.

Overall: Probably one of the top five beers I've had. Outstanding.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

I am a huge fan of German beers and I have been wanting to try this particular beer...forever! Fortunately it is now available in Charleston.

Poured from a really cool bottle into a pint glass.

A. A rich dark brown with little or no head.

S. Strong bready malt aroma. Sweet molasses or brown sugar. Figs or raisins. A slight chocolate aroma.

T. Toasty bread, chocolate and tofee.

M. Like heaven! Goes down smooth with a rich toffee chocolate after taste.

D. Wow, I will have to break the bank, hide the car keys and drink a 4 pack myself.

A classic beer. The epitome of the style.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

11.2 oz bottle purchased from LiquorMax in L-Town. I love this beer, but this gonna be my official review. I'll try to be impartial. Served in a tumbler.

Pours a deep, deep brown, almost black with just a bit of light coming through. No head to speak of, lots of bubbles coming up. The goat fell in! The lack of head is the only thing keeping this one from a perfect 5.

Smells a rich velvety malt, wow! What a smell! Herbs come through, spices, smells like black bread, maybe pumpernickel. Smokey and wonderful. My mouth is already watering...

Taste is out of this world! This is probably the most balanced beer I've ever had. Starts off like it's gonna be a bitter beast, but quickly mellows out to smooth grains. Lots of burnt earth tastes, almost unnoticeable hops, very doppelbock-y. This is what I think of when I think dark German beers; this guy doesn't mess around, but it's kind and gentle. Absolutely fantastic, a delicious beer!

The body is medium with perfect carbonation.

Drinkability is perfect, too. A dark beer with plenty of complex flavors, but without the overpowering qualities that prevent many a dark and tasty beer from being consumed with the gusto it deserves. Ayinger has solved that conumdrum with Celebrator; I could drink this at a BBQ, a funeral or when I'm simply thirsty.

I love this beer, one of my all time favorites. It's especially good when we have our Swedish Thanksgivings; compliments the food without filling you up and becoming heavy. Highly recommended.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Saw the reviews so I had to try this. WOW!!!!. It cost me $2.20 a bottle, so I only got One to try. The Label itself is enough to justify the purchase. Poured with a huge browny-fluffy head full of large bubbles. Took a second or two to settle down, but kepts its head to the end. Huge nose, superb malty aromas that reminded me of the air outside when the local Brewery back in England were brewing their Stout. Caramel, small hint of dark chocolate, with soft smooth rounded malty flavors that are very morish. Very dark brown colour with some lucidity. Really full-bodied, with almost a rich toffee, syrupy aftertaste that lasts. This is a very good dark beer, with a deserved reputation. I am getting a 6-pack next time, blow the cost !.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

I can't believe that this is the first time I'm ever having this beer.

Served from a 330ml. bottle with a neat plastic goat charm tied to the neck, at cellar temperature in my Samuel Adams Double bock glass.

A - Medium chestnut in color, pouring with some noticeable viscosity. The head just screams to come forth as it battles against the liquid still falling from the bottle. Once I pull back, the creamy sand-colored takes off for the rim of the glass, superceding it by just a little, then slowly settling and becoming more dense. The amazing, microbubbled head finally drops to a creamy island in the center, along with a thick ring around the glass edge - but after a full 6 minutes or so! Lacing is unfortunately spotty and provides the only (very slight) letdown in light of the amazing head.

S - Rich, warm hearth-baked dark molasses bread. Is there such a thing? Mmm... there should be. Nice, rich well roasted malts. The light sprinkling of hops that is (barely) noticeable adds a clean freshness that also plays off of the very subtle alcohol. Yummy.

T - "Damn." That was precisely the first word out of my mouth after completing one sip and swallow. Starts off with a candy-sweet maltiness that is quickly overtaken by a slightly yeasty-tart toastiness in the middle. I almost get a nuance of smoke in here as well... As it hits the back of the tongue, the subtle hops lend their bitterness to a drying finish. Once down, the aftertaste is bready, sweet and slightly dry. Fantastically delicious.

M - Definitely qualifies as one of the the top 5 best mouthfeels I've ever had in a beer. Soft like velvet on the way in. Creamy and fulfilling in the mouth, turning into seafoam as it moves around. The swallow is gradual, like liquid taking its time down a very slight grade. An absolute pleasure.

D - Well, all my friend Yelterdow's championing of this beer was definitely in the right place. This is an amazing Dopplebock. 'Nuff said. Less typing. More sipping. This beer is the real deal.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Looks almost black in a bar setting, but shows a dark ruby red color when held up to a light. Slight head and semi creamy look.

Smell is delightful. Full of rich malt with a chocolate/coffee undertone.

Taste is very balanced. The subtle flavors of chocolate, coffee, and hops do not overpower any single flavor. Smooth, and vibrant.

I love this doppelbock on draught, however I prefer this wonderful beer form a bottle.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Fabulous. Deep chestnut with a small creamy beige head. It is a nice combo of roastiness, smokiness, and nuttiness with low carbonation and nice lagery characteristics. Ultra-smooth yet complex. Very drinkable. Not really like any other doublebock that I have had - less body and caramel, more nutty and that little smokiness. A classic.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

This is what a Doppel should be. Beutifull red-black color with a solid tan head. Nice malt flavor with slight hops, and a hint of fruitiness. Thick beer, leaves a syrupy mouthfeel, and combined with a fair alcohol content reassures you that you made a wise choice. Good, but not great head retention and nice lacing. Runs almost $20 a sixer here, but is worth every penny. Also saved me the hassel of buying Christmas orniments...just emptied out my mason jar full of goats. Good times.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

A- Nearly black, slight amber tinge when held to a light. One finger head faded slowly to a wisp.

S- Sweet maltly aroma with a faint earthy hop pressence.

T- Fantastic! Wonderfully complex malt profile but not so complex as to force you to "think" about this beer if you'd rather just sit back and enjoy. Great sweetness held in check perfectly by just the right amount of spicy hops.

M- Smooth as silk, very full boddied.

D- The $12 a 4 pack is the only obstacle here, If only I had a better paying job...

For me, personally, It just doesn't get any better... for now.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Ayinger Celebrator's dark tone and steadfast opacity give it the intimidating appearance of a guard dog, or maybe one of those angry, long-horned rams on its label in mating season. This is slightly ironic considering how its violet and ruby highlights are gorgeous and inviting. Its head, while thin, looks harder than marble stone (and is coloured like it too).

It smells like someone took the world's finest tawny port and improved it exponentially. The sweet, fruity notes of plum and grape are gracefully tempered, somewhat offset by a tremendously rich maltiness. This 'toast and jam' combination would make a memorable breakfast; even the best noses are bound to miss a feature or two. It's that layered.

I don't think you could find a better, more exemplary tasting doppelbock than Celebrator. The poised sweetness of a fig and prune compote is mushed into the taste of heavily browned bread crusts, which turn into a sooty, moderately bitter dark chocolate note on the finish. If ever a beer deserved a perfect score for flavour, truly, Celebrator is it.

There's rich - and then there's Bill Gates rich. This doppelbock is Bill Gates rich. Profound, full-bodied, uncompromising maltiness becomes heavily intimate with all parts of the palate, and refuses to go away even in the aftertaste. To suggest caramel is grossly overstating the quantity of sweetness, and downplaying the rich, luscious quality of it.

If you want to learn about German brewing, throw out the books and just stock up on Celebrator. Few examples pack as much punch per square sip or capture so elegantly the style's rich, nectarous qualities. Although the expression is used quite commonly, few things are actually "mouth-watering" - this is. Trust me, I feel myself drooling.

Brewers will make a lot of claims about the superiority of their beer on labels. Typically, these should be taken with a heaping tablespoon of salt. However, for Ayinger to call Celebrator "the finest double bock beer" is no exaggeration. It is unequivocally, undeniably the golden standard of the style; any attempts to replicate it or even to honor it only serve to advertise that fact and endorse the superiority of its brand.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

I truly regret that I only had one bottle to experience. Everything positive that I read about this beer was more than true. This is the most exceptional Doppelbock I have ever experienced. The flavor and aroma from this Beer is beyond description, suffice it to say it is as near to perfection as I have tasted.

Bocks and Dark Beers are my favorites and this is the best Dark Beer that I have had to date. Thanks to my friend John who brought this one back from a trip. I will be purchasing Celebrator on my next trip to Pensacola.

I stopped by Four Winds in Pensacola Fl and bought all that they had on the shelf.

If I had to spend the rest of my life with only one Beer, this is the Beer for me. That being said, I will continue searching for a better Beer, as it is really all about the search for perfection...

Celebrator Doppelbock
The mocha head had a toffieish malt flavor, it came on strong and stayed their for a
Nice strong body a little oily and almost thick with a bite of spices and an almost warming effect.
The aftertaste was verry dry with a big malty taste

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Wow what can I say about this beer. It pours black witha tan creamy head that stayed throughout. Looks very much like a stout. Smells very very malty with a strong choclate flavor. The taste is strong and heavy. Very heavy in the malt, strong choclate flavor. The heavy flavors kick you in the mouth. Deffently a sipping beer. Overall a fantastic beer. A must have.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

330ml bottle poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Very, very dark brown with fiery hue. Dark biege head recedes to a ring and leaves a little lacing.

Aroma: Smoky, cheesy, wet chocolaty malt. Different and intense, but typical of darker offerings from this outstanding brewery.

Taste: As in the aroma: smokiness, cheese, wet chocolate malts, but also with a good vinous character and a christmasy spiced flavour, cinnamon and perhaps nutmeg or allspice, with a delicate treacle and honey sweetness. All of this balanced with just a touch of hop, enough to round it out but to keep this essentially a malt bomb. Absolutely delightful. 6.7% abv is not particularly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, incredibly smooth. Low carbonation.

Drinkability: Delicious and moreish. One of the world's best beers from one of the world's best breweries.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

WOW! I can't believe I have never had one of these before

11.2oz brown bottle. poured a deeep brown with copper hues to it. nice fluffy 2 finger cream head with a tint of brown, that simmered down to a wispy lace.

smell is so inviting. sweet malts, roasted malts, a touch of hops, caramel notes to it as well.

taste: Wow. deeelicious. kinda toasty tasting (if i can say that) a bit of bread flavor also. i almost taste some fruits, like dates or figs. just really good

very smooth. feels almost chewy. light carbonation.

This is one (sorry ahead of time for cursing) f*cking delicious beer. I wish I could buy a case of this stuff. I have been mainly into craft beers. Im starting to get into dopples after having an aventinus and now this. WoW. Schroeder's here I come!!

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Nose: dark malt and fruit, dark bread, no roasted aromatics. Faint noble hops.
Brilliant chestnut, under a persistent, clingy, rocky 2"+ lightly brown tinted off-white foam cap that provides excellent lace.
Palate: Liquid fresh baked dark German bread, a hint of prune, spicy malt and hops, a slight tartness on the finish and a faint hint of hop bitterness.
Full body, medium low carbonation, rich, creamy, clean.

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Beer exultation. Well, I just finished my beer card at a local institution and what beer by design did I have to save for last? Poured 1/2 bottle with some gusto into a glass to start. Head produced itself with noticeable white-brown foam with rather large bubbles in the mix. Head does not linger long in this guise. Coyly dark, almost blackish color - but held up to a strong light, a most alluring reddish hue becomes evident. Nose is also toying with me! I want so badly to taste... Hints of its alcohol level and sweet maltiness predominate the aroma, with almost a fruity, "raisiny" character. An absolute knock-out taste. What I particularly found was how intriguing its character remained with each and every sip! People here who wrote of its "complexity" are dead-on. Discerning the range of subtle flavors with its perfect balance was not an ephemeral experience, especially considering that alcohol at this level can overpower. Very exceptional & true to -- and a paragon of -- its brewing style. Like dancing with goats!

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

Look: Pours a deep dark umber / almost black color with a two finger butterscotch colored head that leaves lacing all all over the glass.

Smell: Dark fruits, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, sweet maltiness, bready notes.

Taste: Wonderful. Brown sugar with caramel notes, followed by dark fruits and candied sugar. Extremely creamy and chewy, leaves a slight bitterness in the after taste, that fades into sweet again.

Overall: Amazing. Incredibly complex, honestly had trouble finding words to describe some of the nuances. One of my all time favorites, perfect.

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

11.2 oz brown bottle with a nice colorful albeit kind of homemade looking label with the classic billy goats and a small goat trinket hanging around the neck. Nice touch. Poured fridge cold into a brandy snifter.

Appearance: Deep and dark, occasionally hinting flashes of crimson with a nice tan colored head and sticky, long lasting lace.

Smell: Complex sweetness and roasted malts make you want to keep sniffing away in anticipation of what is to come.

Taste: Oh boy. This is the doppelbock against which all others are measured. Sweet malt, raisins, the most subtle hint of alcohol spice, maybe a touch of toffee and dark chocolate. Absolutely delicious and the aftertaste lingers as a reminder. Additionally, it seems to get better as you sip it and as it warms revealing more complexities of malted goodness.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with beautiful carbonation not too bubbly, expected it to be heavier than it is. Creamy without being syrupy. Feel free to swish it around.

An epic representation of the style and awful nifty that it's available year round. Not overly alcoholic at 6.7% which is good because you will want another. Hop bitterness is barely noticeable and serves well to keep the sweetness in balance. Well done.

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

A: As black as tar with extremely dark brown tones. Half an inch of creamy looking head.

S: The malt is what really stands out.

T: Malty and semi-sweet. World class taste.

M: Thick and full bodied. Medium to low carbonation. Very pleasant aftertaste.

O: Hands down one of the best beers in the world. So incredibly well rounded and unique, any time I have the chance to have one I take it.