Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,307 | Hads: 6,009
4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

I truly regret that I only had one bottle to experience. Everything positive that I read about this beer was more than true. This is the most exceptional Doppelbock I have ever experienced. The flavor and aroma from this Beer is beyond description, suffice it to say it is as near to perfection as I have tasted.

Bocks and Dark Beers are my favorites and this is the best Dark Beer that I have had to date. Thanks to my friend John who brought this one back from a trip. I will be purchasing Celebrator on my next trip to Pensacola.

I stopped by Four Winds in Pensacola Fl and bought all that they had on the shelf.

If I had to spend the rest of my life with only one Beer, this is the Beer for me. That being said, I will continue searching for a better Beer, as it is really all about the search for perfection...

Celebrator Doppelbock
The mocha head had a toffieish malt flavor, it came on strong and stayed their for a
Nice strong body a little oily and almost thick with a bite of spices and an almost warming effect.
The aftertaste was verry dry with a big malty taste

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Wow what can I say about this beer. It pours black witha tan creamy head that stayed throughout. Looks very much like a stout. Smells very very malty with a strong choclate flavor. The taste is strong and heavy. Very heavy in the malt, strong choclate flavor. The heavy flavors kick you in the mouth. Deffently a sipping beer. Overall a fantastic beer. A must have.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

330ml bottle poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Very, very dark brown with fiery hue. Dark biege head recedes to a ring and leaves a little lacing.

Aroma: Smoky, cheesy, wet chocolaty malt. Different and intense, but typical of darker offerings from this outstanding brewery.

Taste: As in the aroma: smokiness, cheese, wet chocolate malts, but also with a good vinous character and a christmasy spiced flavour, cinnamon and perhaps nutmeg or allspice, with a delicate treacle and honey sweetness. All of this balanced with just a touch of hop, enough to round it out but to keep this essentially a malt bomb. Absolutely delightful. 6.7% abv is not particularly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, incredibly smooth. Low carbonation.

Drinkability: Delicious and moreish. One of the world's best beers from one of the world's best breweries.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

WOW! I can't believe I have never had one of these before

11.2oz brown bottle. poured a deeep brown with copper hues to it. nice fluffy 2 finger cream head with a tint of brown, that simmered down to a wispy lace.

smell is so inviting. sweet malts, roasted malts, a touch of hops, caramel notes to it as well.

taste: Wow. deeelicious. kinda toasty tasting (if i can say that) a bit of bread flavor also. i almost taste some fruits, like dates or figs. just really good

very smooth. feels almost chewy. light carbonation.

This is one (sorry ahead of time for cursing) f*cking delicious beer. I wish I could buy a case of this stuff. I have been mainly into craft beers. Im starting to get into dopples after having an aventinus and now this. WoW. Schroeder's here I come!!

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Nose: dark malt and fruit, dark bread, no roasted aromatics. Faint noble hops.
Brilliant chestnut, under a persistent, clingy, rocky 2"+ lightly brown tinted off-white foam cap that provides excellent lace.
Palate: Liquid fresh baked dark German bread, a hint of prune, spicy malt and hops, a slight tartness on the finish and a faint hint of hop bitterness.
Full body, medium low carbonation, rich, creamy, clean.

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Beer exultation. Well, I just finished my beer card at a local institution and what beer by design did I have to save for last? Poured 1/2 bottle with some gusto into a glass to start. Head produced itself with noticeable white-brown foam with rather large bubbles in the mix. Head does not linger long in this guise. Coyly dark, almost blackish color - but held up to a strong light, a most alluring reddish hue becomes evident. Nose is also toying with me! I want so badly to taste... Hints of its alcohol level and sweet maltiness predominate the aroma, with almost a fruity, "raisiny" character. An absolute knock-out taste. What I particularly found was how intriguing its character remained with each and every sip! People here who wrote of its "complexity" are dead-on. Discerning the range of subtle flavors with its perfect balance was not an ephemeral experience, especially considering that alcohol at this level can overpower. Very exceptional & true to -- and a paragon of -- its brewing style. Like dancing with goats!

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

Look: Pours a deep dark umber / almost black color with a two finger butterscotch colored head that leaves lacing all all over the glass.

Smell: Dark fruits, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, sweet maltiness, bready notes.

Taste: Wonderful. Brown sugar with caramel notes, followed by dark fruits and candied sugar. Extremely creamy and chewy, leaves a slight bitterness in the after taste, that fades into sweet again.

Overall: Amazing. Incredibly complex, honestly had trouble finding words to describe some of the nuances. One of my all time favorites, perfect.

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

11.2 oz brown bottle with a nice colorful albeit kind of homemade looking label with the classic billy goats and a small goat trinket hanging around the neck. Nice touch. Poured fridge cold into a brandy snifter.

Appearance: Deep and dark, occasionally hinting flashes of crimson with a nice tan colored head and sticky, long lasting lace.

Smell: Complex sweetness and roasted malts make you want to keep sniffing away in anticipation of what is to come.

Taste: Oh boy. This is the doppelbock against which all others are measured. Sweet malt, raisins, the most subtle hint of alcohol spice, maybe a touch of toffee and dark chocolate. Absolutely delicious and the aftertaste lingers as a reminder. Additionally, it seems to get better as you sip it and as it warms revealing more complexities of malted goodness.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with beautiful carbonation not too bubbly, expected it to be heavier than it is. Creamy without being syrupy. Feel free to swish it around.

An epic representation of the style and awful nifty that it's available year round. Not overly alcoholic at 6.7% which is good because you will want another. Hop bitterness is barely noticeable and serves well to keep the sweetness in balance. Well done.

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

A: As black as tar with extremely dark brown tones. Half an inch of creamy looking head.

S: The malt is what really stands out.

T: Malty and semi-sweet. World class taste.

M: Thick and full bodied. Medium to low carbonation. Very pleasant aftertaste.

O: Hands down one of the best beers in the world. So incredibly well rounded and unique, any time I have the chance to have one I take it.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

The aroma is strong, sweet with notes of prunes, brown sugar, citrus, coffee, malt, and bitter chocolate. The color is deep red-brown and it has a beutiful lasting light brown head. The flavor is sweet malty with very strong roasted notes; coffee, roasted bread, combined with caramel, alcohol, citrus, and more - great complexity. The alcohol runs prickling over the tongue and gives it a good palate.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

In a Fin Du Monde tulip. It's very dark brown with a huge frothy tan head, slowly, but steadily diminishing though. Aroma is not as intense as I thought, but definitely complex and appealing with its chocolate and numerous fruits notes. Now that's malty. This beer is as complex as any other beer. Period. Rich roasty black chocolate, some caramel, lots of plum esters, blue grapes, cherries, pecans, coffee, yum yum, butter notes as well as robust earthiness every couple of sips (sometimes, the malt reminded me of Rogue Hazelnut Brown nectar). The palate is as good as it gets, thick, full, round, velvety. Long aftertaste once it warmed a bit that varies from a sip to the other, once it will be the dark chocolate, the other time it will be the roastiness and next time you'll remember those juicy plums, subtly bitter at times. In my eyes, it's fully worthy of these high ratings. That's precisely the type of beers I adore, a big malty phenomenon with a body to back it up. Only critic I'd adress it is the palate fatigue (or I just want the moment to last forever) I get after just one bottle, maybe the sweetness is too much although I never found it stickingly cloying, I wouldn't have two in a row, hell I'd never deserve two i a row! Glad I've got another one of this rare treat. Thanks to both Erics!

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

a: Wondeful look in the pint glass. Dark browns, not muddy but darker richer browns.

s: very light roasted carmel tones

t: smooth on the tongue, slight roast after taste and some sweetness.

m: Looks full bodied, but mouth feel is lighter, thinner but in a good way.

o: Fantastic beer, we did pint glasses at 57F and could have drank a lot more. Generally higher alcohol beers taste like it, but this was simple and easy to drink with no hint of the higher alcohol esters.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

Look: very dark brownish-black, some head, lots of bubble, very lively.
Smell: The most lovely smell came out even when I started opening the bottle. dark fruit, a lot of caramel, molasses smell, very sweet and lovely. I kept on smelling it the whole time.
Taste: some carbonation, very sweet molasses, malty and yeasty. Little hop, some bitterness at the end, like caramelized sugar. Bread like taste. A meal in a bottle!
Feel: full bodied, chewy, voluptuous, lusty, viscous liquid. Great sweet aftertaste, and I bet my mouth smelled better than any gum out there.

One of the best beers I have ever had, and I'll keep coming back for more. Also, great label, and thanks for plastic mountain goat!

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

I typically favor stouts and bocks and for many years this has been my favorite beer. It's been getting much easier to find the last couple years.

It serves well out of the bottle or out of a glass. Having a light cream head with very little carbonation that gives it a silky mouth feel.

It is richly flavored and a bit sweet or sugary. The with hints of molasses.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

This is one of my all time favorites.Pours a muddy red color with little head and carbonation.The aroma screams malt with a hint of alchohol.The aroma is backed up by the taste of malt with just a slight bitterness and warming.Makes my mouth happy-I could drink this one all night.I thought it was a lot higher in alchohol then it says so its nice to have one on the lighter side that still smells and tastes like a much "bigger" beer.And the goat around the neck is a nice,classic touch.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

11.2 oz brown bottle. the first beer i liked the flavor of. my first craft beer and what switched me over from wine only to beer as well.

Appearance: extremly Dark. a beautiful black color, a big tan head that never seems to dissapear

Smell: some molasses and a caramel that i love to smell. some bready aroma. i seem to taste some spicyness, light toasted malt as well.

Taste: . this beer does not seem to dry at all to me ...caramel, malt and molasses

Mouthfeel: very chewey soooo smooth and creamy

The best doppelbock to exist imo. it is delicious and a world class beer. one of my favorites

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

As has likely already been previously stated, this is the bar-setter for this style... A style far too often overlooked, but this doppelbock is nothing short of perfection. I have deep, German roots and love the fact that this come from the Motherland!

Drink up, BA's. This is one beer everyone should try. Malty, sweet, strong and beautiful- it's available almost everywhere as well, so leave your harpoon at home, whale-hunters!

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

L: Very dark brown, though not as black as a porter or stout. Also slightly see-through, with a ruby red color that gleams in the light. Nice frothy head that was tamed down during the drink.
S: Bready and sweet. Light hints of chocolate, bigger notes of fruits such as raisins, figs, and plums. Maybe a little molasses.
T: Similar to the smell, very sweet, molasses, raisins, figs and plums really coming to mind. LIttle to no hoppiness really. A slight toasty malt flavor not all that different from a great German pilsener on the finish.
F: Damn smooth. Like a silk dress on a pretty woman smooth, no joke. Mouthfeel is just great.
O: Have had this beer many times, but after trying many more throughout my time I thought it was wise to come back and experience/rate what I consider to be the pinnacle of this style. All subjectivity aside, this really is a great beer that exists at a happy medium between the great flavor of a porter but with the smooth drinkability of a lager. However it does not comprimise on flavor.

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Usually comes in a 4-pack and have had this one before. Chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler.

This single 330ml (11.2 ounce) bottle came with a little white Ram ornament that says "Celebrator" on the bottom. Very cool! This 'Doppelbock' style beer pours a very dark brown, almost black with a khaki creamy head that doesn't last long. Not much lacing around the glass for this one. Aroma is very pleasing with hints of molasses, raisins, caramel and butterscotch. The taste is the same with a hint of chocolate as well. One of the best that I had in a while for this type!

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a stange glass. The back label lists the abv at 6.7% however there is no freshness date.

Appearance: The body has a very dark brown color in the glass and when held up to light it has nice garnet highlights. Some small bubbles of carbonation can be seen in the highlights and near the edges of the glass. On top sits a tight head of light brown foam which slowly settles down to small cap that hangs on till the last sip. Lacing is slick and slides right down the glass as I drink.

Smell: In the nose I get notes of sweet caramel, fresh sweet bread, ripe fruit and a kiss of German hops.

Taste/Palate: The flavor has a sweet overall character with moderate hoping that comes through in the end to finish things up without becoming too sweet or cloying. Up front are the caramel candy, brown sugar, light molasses and brown pear like fruit notes. Towards the finish bready notes become more toasted and mix with some light hop flavors to temper the overall sweetness. The finish is short and still on the sweet side but in a good way. Carbonation is lively enough to lift the palate of the solid, smooth, and full body and leave you wanting that next sip.

Notes: All I need to say here is outstanding!!! When I think about Doppelbock beer this is the beer I will think of and compare all others to.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Wow... I mean.. this is a beer! I love dark malty beers. I love beers with a balance of sweet, bitter, roasted and rich. THIS IS THAT BEER. Amazing.

Pours a dark almost black with a reasonable head. Lacing all around.

Smell: Malt. Malt and More malt. But...with a dark chocolate zing.

Taste: Starts almost tangy while quickly progressing into a dark and rich chocolatey sweet malt with a hint of dark dried fruits, just a hint. Molasses and rye bread. Pure bliss. As the flavor develops, you sense the bitterness which eventually fades into a roasted malt finish. Just fantastic. I am shocked how good this beer is.

If you really want a meal in a glass, find one of these!

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured into a small little flute glass with two fingers of head which is pretty impressive for such a small glass. Nice brown color. I can barely see my fingers through the glass. Nice retention. I poured into another glass for the rest of the bottle. The appearance becomes insane.

Smell is of apple phenol with THICK ass caramel malts with some chocolate malts in the back with some raisin and grape.

Taste is rich and robust. Caramel malts are aggressive with a nice touch of chocolate malts. Raisin and fruity undertones come out as well. Some grape notes come out as the beer warms. Hop bitterness is mild and just there to cut the sweetness alittle bit. Holy shit. This is the best double bock that I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is smooth as hell with a delicate creaminess. WOW!

Drinkability: A beer worthy of the Gods.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Very dark brown with only the slightest hint of ruby hue when held to light. Nice brown head that held up for a bit and continuted to produce nice lacing all the way to the end.

S: Caramel, molasses, and a slight raisiny note. Maybe some date-style aroma in there as well. Outstanding.

T: The very best. Malty, caramel, molasses, sweetness balanced out with an unnoticeable hop prescence. Completely balanced.

M: Perfection with the carbonation. Slick feel to it. Very easy to drink.

D: The definition of a dopplebock. My favorite style of all time and I would arugue is possibly the best dopplebock in the world.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Nearly black, hints of red orange light pass through if held up to the light, tan ring around the glass.

Smell: Big malty, molasses, licorice, chocolate, alcoholic esters when swirled, mild medicinal notes.

Taste: All the smells in your mouth, toasty malt and molasses and unsweetened chocolate, low alcoholic and hop presence, just enough bitter to balance it about.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated, full bodied and smooth, goes down very easily, lightly coats the mouth.

Drinkability: This is a great beer, so flavorful, so drinkable, complex and tasty. It would be good with a number of things, sweeter items but also other bold flavors to contrast.