Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros

1.08/5  rDev -75.1%

1.5/5  rDev -65.4%

1.55/5  rDev -64.3%

I know this is a classic...but I guess I must just not be into Doppelbocks...poured good...nice head...looks good...smelled a bit funky...tasted like a piece of chalk that's been sitting in a puddle for a couple days..then poured in a bottle w/ a little goat action figure tied to it. Had to dump it! My pal brewdog hates me for this.

1.75/5  rDev -59.7%

1.95/5  rDev -55.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Overrated. Pours a dark amber brown color with a thick white foam head. Has a yeasty aroma of dark fruit and toffee. Has a dry bitter taste with notes of dark fruit and caramel. The mix doesn't work for me. Too doughy and too sweet. To each their own.

1.95/5  rDev -55.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Dark reddish brown, barely allows light through but it does, thin head that vanishes, I can't see any carbonation but it's so hard to see through this.

Sweet dark fruits and then quickly goes towards bitter but doesn't get there. I want to say plums and maybe a hint of cherry and some raisins. It seems like a double bock only a touch sweeter, less powerful, and somewhat subtle and boring. A touch of alcohol at the end just barely.

This is a top 100 beer? Are you joking me? Just a malt bomb that as a hint of bitter flavor at the finish. A dark fruity opening, plumbs and raises and maybe caramel/bready malt. More bready than caramel. The hops are earthy and they pack almost enough bitterness, but they don't balance this beer.

The mouth feel is really really well done. Plenty of carbonation but not so much I'm burping it up. Creamy enough to savor, but thin enough for the style and to drink.

Well this is also really drinkable. I don't like the beer. I rarely don't like a beer. I often think it's a weak example of a style or a style that isn't very well made. This one just isn't very good. If you want a better example of the style check out Weihenstephaner's example....it's far superior. So I'm torn. I dislike it, but it without the flavor actor is pretty drinkable. Ok....we'll go with a 2. Unimpressed but not awful.

2.25/5  rDev -48.2%

2.35/5  rDev -45.9%

Poured very dark drown, nice head and lacing to boot. Moderate carbonation.

Smell was lots of caramel, malt and some fruit/nut in there. Coffee.

Now this is where I am led to believe I may have picked up a bad bottle; this tasted absolutely awful. Up front there was lots of malt and caramel, but the aftertaste...the aftertaste was just bad. There was just something just not right about it. I've had a few others of this style and enjoyed them, but something was off. I'll definitely have to pick up another one sometime, as I was quite let down.