Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,832 | Reviews: 2,311
1.62/5  rDev -62.7%

I know this is a classic...but I guess I must just not be into Doppelbocks...poured good...nice head...looks good...smelled a bit funky...tasted like a piece of chalk that's been sitting in a puddle for a couple days..then poured in a bottle w/ a little goat action figure tied to it. Had to dump it! My pal brewdog hates me for this.

1.96/5  rDev -54.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Dark reddish brown, barely allows light through but it does, thin head that vanishes, I can't see any carbonation but it's so hard to see through this.

Sweet dark fruits and then quickly goes towards bitter but doesn't get there. I want to say plums and maybe a hint of cherry and some raisins. It seems like a double bock only a touch sweeter, less powerful, and somewhat subtle and boring. A touch of alcohol at the end just barely.

This is a top 100 beer? Are you joking me? Just a malt bomb that as a hint of bitter flavor at the finish. A dark fruity opening, plumbs and raises and maybe caramel/bready malt. More bready than caramel. The hops are earthy and they pack almost enough bitterness, but they don't balance this beer.

The mouth feel is really really well done. Plenty of carbonation but not so much I'm burping it up. Creamy enough to savor, but thin enough for the style and to drink.

Well this is also really drinkable. I don't like the beer. I rarely don't like a beer. I often think it's a weak example of a style or a style that isn't very well made. This one just isn't very good. If you want a better example of the style check out Weihenstephaner's example....it's far superior. So I'm torn. I dislike it, but it without the flavor actor is pretty drinkable. Ok....we'll go with a 2. Unimpressed but not awful.

1.98/5  rDev -54.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Overrated. Pours a dark amber brown color with a thick white foam head. Has a yeasty aroma of dark fruit and toffee. Has a dry bitter taste with notes of dark fruit and caramel. The mix doesn't work for me. Too doughy and too sweet. To each their own.

2.4/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Full disclosure: I know that dopplebocks are an acquired taste that I do not yet have. But really, what is there to celebrate? This beer smells like a sorority girl at her fourth pre-rush party of the night— scents of rotten banana, moldy cantaloupe rind, and old plums fuse together to yield an increasingly nauseating bouquet. Poured slowly at a 45° angle, the brew is nearly black in appearance and exhibits very little carbonation with even less head retention. Unfortunately for Ayinger (the brewer, for those of you who don’t speak German), the tremendous malt backbone and overpowering presence of alcohol contradict and confuse the palate. These tastes also deviate sharply from what is expected off the nose: fortunately, decay and mold are not evident at first sip. Regardless, one flavor profile overwhelms another and leaves the taster utterly perplexed. Like that Tri Delta or Delta Gamma would probably say, “I just can’t even” comprehend how in holy hell this made the cut.

While these words may seem harsh, there are just too many incredible beers on (and off) this list to waste your time with something subpar. It is important to keep in mind that this product was brewed in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot. This German Beer Purity Law dictates that only water, barley, hops, and yeast may be used in the production of a brew. Although I am very much a fan honoring customs, I am also a realist. The Reinheitsgebot restricts creativity and puts abiding brewers at a competitive disadvantage compared with those who use actual fruit, chocolate, coffee, bacon (yeah, I said it), spices, and other flavoring agents in beer. I wouldn’t hop on a ship from the 1500s to get to Germany, would I? No. I would recline comfortably in a Boeing 787 and binge-watch last year’s box office hits (thanks for the hard work at Boeing, Jared). Traveling at 37,000 feet makes for a better experience than drifting waywardly across the Atlantic on a rickety wooden ship. Similarly, brewers with access to all ingredients and all techniques make better beer than brewers with access to one technique and four ingredients.

Like this? Read more at prolificpints.com

2.5/5  rDev -42.4%

Poured very dark drown, nice head and lacing to boot. Moderate carbonation.

Smell was lots of caramel, malt and some fruit/nut in there. Coffee.

Now this is where I am led to believe I may have picked up a bad bottle; this tasted absolutely awful. Up front there was lots of malt and caramel, but the aftertaste...the aftertaste was just bad. There was just something just not right about it. I've had a few others of this style and enjoyed them, but something was off. I'll definitely have to pick up another one sometime, as I was quite let down.

2.52/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Strange one. I don't get how this is top 250. It wasn't very good.

2.62/5  rDev -39.6%

Being of fan of Bocks, I was fully prepared to love this ubiquitous doppelbock. I bought a four-pack a week or so before Christmas; My kids had great fun hanging the little plastic Rams on our tree.

You know, I'm not sure if I just got a couple of bad bottles or if this style is just not for me, but the first bottle out, I quite liked. It was kind of sweet and malty, smelled great, felt nice going down--quite satisfying.

Then the next bottle was entirely disappointing. There was a slightly funky smell to it, and an even funkier taste. Bottle #3 was the same. I couldn't bring myself to even open Bottle #4. Did I finally experience skunked beer? I thought that was more common in highly hopped beers.

At $10 for the four pack, I hate to try it again for fear of wasting my hard-earned beer money.

2.71/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured brown from the bottle with about an inch of head; the head dissipated quickly and almost completely, leaving just a slight ring around the edge. Smell was sweet and alcoholic. I don't know how to describe the taste exactly. It's sweet up front followed by a kick of funkiness that is strange and unfamiliar to me. There's a bit of solvent and steel in the taste, I think. The first part of each sip is good, but the back end doesn't suit me.

2.73/5  rDev -37.1%

I was not very impressed by this beer. Being a big fan of
d-bocks, I was ready to be taken away, but instead, I just sort of sat there, looking at the beer, wondering what all the fuss was about. Instead of a masterpiece in comlexity and depth, this beer had the sort of 2D, flavor-by-numbers that you often get with domestic brewpub styles. It was dark and smoky like a stout, and boozy like a double bock.

There is this "classic" double bock flavor which I have come to expect now from any d-bock. I don't know if this quintessential flavor lies in the type of malt used, the hops, some sort of decoction mashing, or what, but the one thing I do know is that, I know it when I taste it. Sadly, Celebrator does not have it. Neither does Sam Adams, btw.

The only six I have had, so far, which exude the "classic" double bock flavor are:

Allgauer Cambonator
Tucher Bajuvator
St. Martin Dunkler
Paulaner Slavator
Spaten Optimator
Augustiner Maximator

----

PS - I also thought the little billy goats dangling around the bottlenecks--while cute--were a little hokey.

2.78/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours a beautiful deep dark brown with a nice big everlasting tan head. So very sweet to the tongue. So very malty, but where's the hop balance? Creamy, but too thin to be as smooth as I'd expected. Too sweet of abeer for me; certainly not the best doppelbock I've had. Hype!

2.82/5  rDev -35%

Cool bottle with a white plastic goat hanging off of it. Poured into my snifter.

It pours a thick-looking reddish-brown (maroon?) and it had a big tan head on it. It looks pretty damn appetizing - if dense and brown are appetizing to you.

The smell was the first cause for let down. I got almost nothing from taking a few whiffs of this one. Some bread and very toasty malts. And... that's pretty much it. It smells like a beer but there is no spiciness and it doesn't smell as dark as it appears to be.

The taste is better with some big time malts and flavorful sugary fruit essence mixed in for good measure. Not much in the way of hop bitterness to balance it out, I thought. Slight chocolate undertone... I'll try this again someday to try and pick out the intricacies. Not very robust... Still, a nice tasting dopplebock.

There is medium carbonation and a medium body. A little sweet stickiness/creaminess.

I didn't want want another one after this. It feels thick in one's stomach and although this is a creamy beer, I did not cream myself over it. I'll have to try it again sometime though just to see what all the fuss is about.

2.86/5  rDev -34.1%

poured into a trappist glass

looks like: coke with foam

smells like: sour grapes, stings the nostrils

tastes like: citrusy malt

feels like: back of the teeth feel weird

drinks like: smooth and easy but heavy on the stomach

i was expecting a whole lot more out of this one, very average to me but i expected a few distinct falvours rather than a ton of subtle notes. the amazing thing is how hidden the alcohol is until it hits the stomach. its a good tummy warmer.

the smell and taste reminds me of ham and cabbage.

2.86/5  rDev -34.1%

It's a pretty decent looking, very dark brown doppelbock, with a good centimeter of creamy head when poured from the bottle, but it dissipates to about half that over a couple minutes. Lacing is pretty good, almost leaving thin sheets of foam down the side. The nose isn't particularly special, just malt and hops, no discernable alcohol aroma. The flavor isn't anything special either. It's pretty much what you'd expect from the nose. Malt, hops, bread. The mouthfeel is nice, thicker than many beers without being syrupy. The glowing reviews surprise me as I've found this to be a rather average beer. There are other doppelbocks that are considerably better than this one.

2.91/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

a- opaque dark red-brown with a creamy tan head. spotty lacing on the glass.

s- dark fruits, pretty big toasty character, chocolate, a lactose-like character that reminds me of a thick milk stout. very slight alcohol hits the nose as well.

t- toasted grain, nuts, small hints of dark fruit & spice. an unpleasant, slightly off toasty finish. like cheese almost. A decently thick body but almost no carbonation to speak of, which this beer could benefit a lot from.

There is a certain grainy, cheesy sourness in the taste that I just can't get over. It bothers me a lot, to the point where I will avoid this beer in the future.

2.91/5  rDev -32.9%

A = a wonderfully rich, almost black brown color, with a beautiful tan head. I'm looking forward to this.

S = Rich and malty, roasty, hints of chocolate and toffe, mollasses, a touch of alcohol.

T = Yowza... not what I was expecting. I knew it was going to be rich and malt forward, but DAMN. Roasty and rich, very sweet (almost cloyingly sweet), chocolate and molasses, and something I can only describe as "beer funk". There is some hop bitterness but malt takes a front seat here. There is a slight booziness to it as well.

M = rich and chewy, very heavy

O = My first example of the Doppelbock style, and I can honestly say I don't think I was ready for it. I'll give it another try in the future, perhaps try another example of the style, but for me, this was far too sweet and heavy on the palate.

2.92/5  rDev -32.7%

Hey doppelbock's just aren't my style. Pours like some dark rust. Smell is a little more intriguing, not a turn off, very earthy, alcohol smell to it. Tastes like a combination of a rauchbier and trader joe's doppelbock. Meh. No hop presence, just some thin malt and alcohol to it. German mead.

All that dark fruit, belgian yeast? and alcohol just isn't a fun experience for me. YMMV. Don't take my score seriously, its just my score.

2.92/5  rDev -32.7%

aroma: slightly grapey smell, once poured there is some maltiness, however the smell os more of estery fruits and cereal like qualities.
Apperance: Its a dark flat brown, there are little rudy or red tones to it to make it seem more vibrant in color. No sediment in bottle
Taste: strong tastes, very complex. head itself tastes sort of copper-like, not bad. Malt flavor has a raisen/dried fruit/prune flavor to it. Pleasant mold bite on the palate. Slight alcoholic finish to it with a warming effect.
Mouthfeel: this is the most striking feature to the beer. The flavors grab hold of the tongue and coat it. It has a thickness to it that doesn't quit. Continually rubbed my tongue on the roof of my mouth as iff to clear something. The wholeness of the mouth feel experience is nice.
Overall: not a session beer. I don't care for the style, however the mild fruity malt character is true to the style and it is well done. The mouthfeel alone makes it worth a try. Not something I'd drink again, but had to try due to its high rating and often talked about qualities.
This would maybe pair well with a strong beef stew.

2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

I know this beer is very popular, and held in some degree of esteem, but I don't get it.

A - Very dark, little off-white head, looks thin.

S - Huge breadiness, sweaty German hop, almost a wet dog smell, or like a dog that was out in the yard messing with dead animals. A very unsavory sweetness.

T - The taste is much better than the smell, but still not great, too sweet and gamey tasting for me. Basically, everything about this beer rubs me wrong.

M - Normal mouthfeel for the style. Medium body, good carbonation, slightly slick finish.

D - Blahhh. None for me. I really don't like it. You might though.

I think this beer is significantly outclassed by Tucher's Bajuvator and Weihenstephaner's Korbinian, both of which tend to be cheaper as well. And don't even mention Aventinus, they aren't in the same league.

2.94/5  rDev -32.3%

A - dark with blood red shine through when held to the light. Tall tan head.

S - sweet but with a minor V8 juice scent. Some malt as well.

T - not as sweet as the scent would make you think. Typical doppelbock flavor, not bad, but nothing special.

M - medium coating but no tingle or anything.

D - drinkable., but not a first choice or anything like that.

2.95/5  rDev -32%

APPEARANCE
It looks like a bock, dark. Very inviiting. Ok head retention.

SMELL
Smells chocolately. Very good.

TASTE
It's ok. Good for a bock. Taste like chocolate and sweet.

MOUTHFEEL
silky and smooth

DRINKABILITY
Ok to have one now and then. Not so bad, but it is very filling.

2.96/5  rDev -31.8%

12oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a very dark brown, near black. Deep red edges when held to light. A foamy light tan head, leaves some lacing.

Dark fruit, raisin or prune perhaps, with some light caramel and faint cocoa.

The taste follows the nose pretty well.

A medium body with a fair amount of carbonation.

A decent beer I suppose, but the dark fruit notes were a bit dominate for my liking in both the aroma and taste.

2.98/5  rDev -31.3%

A - Dark reddish color. Small head with little lacing
S - Smells like an amber ale. Hops and sweet malt.
T - Kind of an off taste at first. A little bitter. Has a not so sweet caramel flavor. Personally I do not really like this beer but maybe that is because I just do not like bocks in general. I really do not like this beer at all.
M - Kind of cloying, Not that carbonated
D - Very drinkable.

Pours a very very deep ruby/brown with a tan head which recedes to a thin lace. Smells of dark fruits, licorice, and a hint of caramel.

Thick and full in body. Dark malts and caramel up front, raisins and dark fruit on the back end with a mild hop presence to balance things out. Lets you get that dark fruit taste without the lingering fruity after taste. Also has some earthy under tones.

Tastes are good and alright but nothing spectacular. I also expect a bit more out of a Doppelbock. This bottle aslo has some age to it though and is almost a year old now, so maybe some of the flavors have died down. Oh well.

Pretty disappointed in this beer.Its not a bad beer but desent color of brownish/black.Not much nose on it.Not to malty in your mouth,just a little bit to light.I read somewhere that this was the mother of all dopplebocks...not quite

Just not a style that I enjoy.