Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,282 | Hads: 5,904
2.86/5  rDev -33.9%

It's a pretty decent looking, very dark brown doppelbock, with a good centimeter of creamy head when poured from the bottle, but it dissipates to about half that over a couple minutes. Lacing is pretty good, almost leaving thin sheets of foam down the side. The nose isn't particularly special, just malt and hops, no discernable alcohol aroma. The flavor isn't anything special either. It's pretty much what you'd expect from the nose. Malt, hops, bread. The mouthfeel is nice, thicker than many beers without being syrupy. The glowing reviews surprise me as I've found this to be a rather average beer. There are other doppelbocks that are considerably better than this one. (676 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

a- opaque dark red-brown with a creamy tan head. spotty lacing on the glass.

s- dark fruits, pretty big toasty character, chocolate, a lactose-like character that reminds me of a thick milk stout. very slight alcohol hits the nose as well.

t- toasted grain, nuts, small hints of dark fruit & spice. an unpleasant, slightly off toasty finish. like cheese almost. A decently thick body but almost no carbonation to speak of, which this beer could benefit a lot from.

There is a certain grainy, cheesy sourness in the taste that I just can't get over. It bothers me a lot, to the point where I will avoid this beer in the future. (629 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -32.8%

A = a wonderfully rich, almost black brown color, with a beautiful tan head. I'm looking forward to this.

S = Rich and malty, roasty, hints of chocolate and toffe, mollasses, a touch of alcohol.

T = Yowza... not what I was expecting. I knew it was going to be rich and malt forward, but DAMN. Roasty and rich, very sweet (almost cloyingly sweet), chocolate and molasses, and something I can only describe as "beer funk". There is some hop bitterness but malt takes a front seat here. There is a slight booziness to it as well.

M = rich and chewy, very heavy

O = My first example of the Doppelbock style, and I can honestly say I don't think I was ready for it. I'll give it another try in the future, perhaps try another example of the style, but for me, this was far too sweet and heavy on the palate. (806 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -32.6%

Hey doppelbock's just aren't my style. Pours like some dark rust. Smell is a little more intriguing, not a turn off, very earthy, alcohol smell to it. Tastes like a combination of a rauchbier and trader joe's doppelbock. Meh. No hop presence, just some thin malt and alcohol to it. German mead.

All that dark fruit, belgian yeast? and alcohol just isn't a fun experience for me. YMMV. Don't take my score seriously, its just my score. (435 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -32.6%

aroma: slightly grapey smell, once poured there is some maltiness, however the smell os more of estery fruits and cereal like qualities.
Apperance: Its a dark flat brown, there are little rudy or red tones to it to make it seem more vibrant in color. No sediment in bottle
Taste: strong tastes, very complex. head itself tastes sort of copper-like, not bad. Malt flavor has a raisen/dried fruit/prune flavor to it. Pleasant mold bite on the palate. Slight alcoholic finish to it with a warming effect.
Mouthfeel: this is the most striking feature to the beer. The flavors grab hold of the tongue and coat it. It has a thickness to it that doesn't quit. Continually rubbed my tongue on the roof of my mouth as iff to clear something. The wholeness of the mouth feel experience is nice.
Overall: not a session beer. I don't care for the style, however the mild fruity malt character is true to the style and it is well done. The mouthfeel alone makes it worth a try. Not something I'd drink again, but had to try due to its high rating and often talked about qualities.
This would maybe pair well with a strong beef stew. (1,124 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -32.3%

I know this beer is very popular, and held in some degree of esteem, but I don't get it.

A - Very dark, little off-white head, looks thin.

S - Huge breadiness, sweaty German hop, almost a wet dog smell, or like a dog that was out in the yard messing with dead animals. A very unsavory sweetness.

T - The taste is much better than the smell, but still not great, too sweet and gamey tasting for me. Basically, everything about this beer rubs me wrong.

M - Normal mouthfeel for the style. Medium body, good carbonation, slightly slick finish.

D - Blahhh. None for me. I really don't like it. You might though.

I think this beer is significantly outclassed by Tucher's Bajuvator and Weihenstephaner's Korbinian, both of which tend to be cheaper as well. And don't even mention Aventinus, they aren't in the same league. (823 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -32.1%

A - dark with blood red shine through when held to the light. Tall tan head.

S - sweet but with a minor V8 juice scent. Some malt as well.

T - not as sweet as the scent would make you think. Typical doppelbock flavor, not bad, but nothing special.

M - medium coating but no tingle or anything.

D - drinkable., but not a first choice or anything like that. (359 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -31.9%

APPEARANCE
It looks like a bock, dark. Very inviiting. Ok head retention.

SMELL
Smells chocolately. Very good.

TASTE
It's ok. Good for a bock. Taste like chocolate and sweet.

MOUTHFEEL
silky and smooth

DRINKABILITY
Ok to have one now and then. Not so bad, but it is very filling. (296 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -31.6%

12oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a very dark brown, near black. Deep red edges when held to light. A foamy light tan head, leaves some lacing.

Dark fruit, raisin or prune perhaps, with some light caramel and faint cocoa.

The taste follows the nose pretty well.

A medium body with a fair amount of carbonation.

A decent beer I suppose, but the dark fruit notes were a bit dominate for my liking in both the aroma and taste. (432 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -31.2%

A - Dark reddish color. Small head with little lacing
S - Smells like an amber ale. Hops and sweet malt.
T - Kind of an off taste at first. A little bitter. Has a not so sweet caramel flavor. Personally I do not really like this beer but maybe that is because I just do not like bocks in general. I really do not like this beer at all.
M - Kind of cloying, Not that carbonated
D - Very drinkable. (397 characters)

Pours a very very deep ruby/brown with a tan head which recedes to a thin lace. Smells of dark fruits, licorice, and a hint of caramel.

Thick and full in body. Dark malts and caramel up front, raisins and dark fruit on the back end with a mild hop presence to balance things out. Lets you get that dark fruit taste without the lingering fruity after taste. Also has some earthy under tones.

Tastes are good and alright but nothing spectacular. I also expect a bit more out of a Doppelbock. This bottle aslo has some age to it though and is almost a year old now, so maybe some of the flavors have died down. Oh well. (619 characters)

Pretty disappointed in this beer.Its not a bad beer but desent color of brownish/black.Not much nose on it.Not to malty in your mouth,just a little bit to light.I read somewhere that this was the mother of all dopplebocks...not quite (233 characters)

11.2 ounce bottle from BevMo Sacramento (Arden Way), poured into wide-mouthed wine glass, cold cellar temp. Silly plastic horse tschotke hanging on the neck (silly since it's a waste of resources, and I'll throw it away.)

Pours with a medium dense brown head that mostly goes away.

Aroma is chocolate and roast and metal.

Taste is fruity, thick, chocolate, roast, plum, (fig?), with distinct smokiness. Not as much metallic taste as the nose would have suggested, but still unpleasantly there.

Finishes warm with alcohol and tingly mouth.

Overall, a good DB, and a good beer, but I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Really, a pretty average beer. (677 characters)

Appearance: Dark Chestnut with small head that dissipates quickly

Aroma: Malty, roasted grain, coffee

Taste: Malty, fruity, with bitter finish; decent, but not as good as Paulanor Salvator or Andechs Doppelbock

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores (285 characters)

A brown amber in body, off white rocky head, a bit frothy. Smells of bread and malt. At first it is all malt, but not overpoweringly sweet and then the disapointing part, it turined like a citrus sour. I hope it was just the bottle that I poured from and not representative fo the beer, because I got a real grapefruit bitterness in the end that I cannot believe is desired. May try again due to reputation. But this was not good. (430 characters)

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass. Pours a dark tawny brown with some ruby highlights at the edges. A massive beige head billows out. Great retention; left lost of sticky lace in its wake. Scents of plums, currants, wood, booze, and some roasted malts. Nice.

The body on this is much thinner than I'd like. Carbonation level is low. This feels flat and unimpressive. The flavors are malty in character. Some roasted malts at the onset, but then this gives way to a dark fruity flavor, and finishes with some alcohol heat. All in all, I did not care for this beer. I know it's one of the top 100 beers, but I have had better of the style for sure. Won't have this again most likely. (689 characters)

This is my first dopplebock, so I'm not really familiar with the style.

On first taste, the intense malt flavor shines through, which I really liked. There is a bitterness in the fade that reminds me of toasted caramel. This one sort of reminds me of a semi-stout; and I'm not too fond of that style, as I think they are too bitter. Being my first dopplebock, I can't tell if this (bitterness) is indicative of the style or not. (429 characters)

I was actually dissapointed in this brew. I figured that I would be a shoe in for someone that would enjoy a good doppelbock, but nope.. wasn't for me.

I really liked the way it looked int he glass with it's tall head and dark color. There's even a nice red hue when you hold it up to the light. Then I smelled it. It smells bitterish kind of like a beligum beer, but not really. I'm terrible at explaining scents, it just smelled off. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

Anyway, so I tasted the little thing :)

Little sour, little bitter. Malty, taste of oats and earth. Spicy aftertaste, warming.

I wasn't a fan, but I'm the vast majority, so who knows. Give it a shot.
I'll have to try another bottle in hopes that it'll be a little better. (751 characters)

Bottle poured into a glass

A: A very dark brew with a ruby hue when held to the light. A white-ish head with moderate retention and good lacing.

S: Malts but with a very prominent maple syrup aroma. Pretty basic, no fruity notes.

T: The malty sweetness is a bit overbearing, almost cloying.

M: Full-bodied. Moderate-low carbonation. Cloying.

Notes: Not my favorite beer. I do feel a bit awkward rating a beer so differently from everyone else. I looked at the brothers' review and I see that I noticed similar flavors as them. But the overbearingness of the sweetness really takes away from this beer. I will save the rest of the brews and re-try them after having experienced some other dopplebocks. (707 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -30%

A- Pleasing to look at, and the head was beautiful while it lasted, which wasn't long. It did retain a small froth on the top, all the way to the end. I was very pleased with this. As the head subsided, there were small white "floaties", which I haven't seen in other beers. My glass was clean.

S- I was not really expecting how sweet and light this beer smells when it's compared to it's looks. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read somebody else's review, but it definitely smells like raisins and malt, with a slight alcohol smell on the nose.

T- Initial taste is sweet malt and raisin, followed by a dry yet smooth middle, finished by a slight alcohol taste on the tongue. After my pint was half finished, the initial flavors seemed to have subsided and all that was really present was the bitterness, but not the roasted malt kind.

M- This beer definitely coats your mouth, but I personally don't really like the flavor that it leaves. Its reminiscent of drinking cold medicine and having that taste in your mouth afterwards. It's not a heavy beer at all, despite what some people say.

O- I gave this beer a fair review, and I can definitely say there's a lot of good about it. I just recognize that it really isn't my cup of tea (or beer). It was definitely worth a try though, and I would recommend it heartily to people that don't enjoy lighter beers and dislike the charred coffee taste of stouts and lagers. It's sweeter and not as harsh as some of the stouts that I enjoy, but I wasn't much of a fan of the alcohol on the nose and palate. I feel like it needed more body and more complex flavors to compliment the alcohol finish. (1,657 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours a dark cola brown with a short bubbly tan head.

Nose is very mild and subdued. Watery dark fruit. Raisin. Plum. Prunes.

Flavor is similar to the nose but a little better. Again mild watered down dark fruit. Plum, prune, figs and raisin. Some dark euro malt.

Mouth is light bodied with med+ creamy carb.

Overall this is a little bit of a disappointment after not having one in about 6-7 years. I remember it being better. I think my palate is just better trained now. Not a bad beer by any means. Easy to drink. Just nothing special. (546 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -28.2%

Picked this up based on my goal of trying all 50 Top Beers. Not sure what all the fuss is about....
Poured a dark-cherry tinged, black color with a quick-fading tan head.
Smell was fruity sweet - raisins, dates, plums - over a big malt base. Also some caramel toffee and maybe a hint of coffee.
Taste was complex. Again, sweet with plums, raisins, etc and toffee notes over a malt base. Alcohol bite in the finish but not bad. Still, I was expecting something more that would really get me excited about the beer. It never happened.
Feel was syrupy, slick and on the heavy side of medium-bodied.
For drinkability, I can't say I'd be searching for this beer again soon. It didn't appeal to my palate. Not sure what all the hype and high marks are for, but then that means I won't be taking any away from those who enjoy it. (827 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into a mug. Reviewed live.

A- Pours a thin off-white head with little retention. Some ring of lacing. Mahogany color with nice clarity.

S- Dark grains and malts. Actually a very subtle smell. Hard to pick up on it.

T- Malts and dark fruits. Again, subtle. Can taste a bit of the booze though.

M- Medium thickness with a nice body and clean finish.

O- Honestly, I was expecting more from this beer. (432 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -26.6%

I had this the other night. With the great reviews, I was expecting a bit more, but in general I'm not a huge fan of the style.

This beer had a good appearance but the aroma and taste were far too malty for me. This beer tasted sweet and I couldn't detect any other flavors (aside from molasses) that were doing much for me. The drinkability was average, but honestly I would have rated it lower probably because I was getting too much sweetness... and none of the creamy or smoothness that you might expect.

I suppose that I could appreciate how someone would like this, but its not one that I would go for. Its a shame because I went in expecting much more. I rather go for a substantial brown ale or porter in the same ABV range. (736 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -26.1%

Celebrator looks awesome. It's a thick brown with a huge tan head that soon fades to a thin, even layer of bubbles. Plus--the necklace! How many beers are classy enough to have a necklace?

The primary scent is like baby food. I think it's a combination of caramel and dark fruits/anise, but to me it comes off as candied carrots. I'm not a fan of candied carrots.

The taste, fortunately, gets it better; the caramel and anise are more distinct. There's a little nuttiness, and it finishes with a very pleasant roasted flavor. I'm really not getting much chocolate.

Celebrator was okay, but honestly, this seems more like a weird nut brown ale than a doppelbock lager. (676 characters)