Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros

syndelee, Nov 27, 2011

Poured into a tumbler in late 2013.

S: Chocolate, slight coffee, very malty.

T: Coffee dominates. Chocolate, malt are there too. Also has bitterness.

O: This is a coffee bomb. I loved other doppelbocks, but the bitterness in this one was too overwhelming. Drain pour.

WAbeerfiend, Sep 22, 2014

MonkeyStain, Sep 17, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -48.2%

CityofBals, Sep 12, 2013
2.35/5  rDev -45.9%

Poured very dark drown, nice head and lacing to boot. Moderate carbonation.

Smell was lots of caramel, malt and some fruit/nut in there. Coffee.

Now this is where I am led to believe I may have picked up a bad bottle; this tasted absolutely awful. Up front there was lots of malt and caramel, but the aftertaste...the aftertaste was just bad. There was just something just not right about it. I've had a few others of this style and enjoyed them, but something was off. I'll definitely have to pick up another one sometime, as I was quite let down.

anon, Sep 09, 2013

BcOneSeven, Jul 20, 2014

rxeight, Sep 13, 2013

kevrice88, Jun 11, 2013
2.55/5  rDev -41.2%

Being of fan of Bocks, I was fully prepared to love this ubiquitous doppelbock. I bought a four-pack a week or so before Christmas; My kids had great fun hanging the little plastic Rams on our tree.

You know, I'm not sure if I just got a couple of bad bottles or if this style is just not for me, but the first bottle out, I quite liked. It was kind of sweet and malty, smelled great, felt nice going down--quite satisfying.

Then the next bottle was entirely disappointing. There was a slightly funky smell to it, and an even funkier taste. Bottle #3 was the same. I couldn't bring myself to even open Bottle #4. Did I finally experience skunked beer? I thought that was more common in highly hopped beers.

At $10 for the four pack, I hate to try it again for fear of wasting my hard-earned beer money.

bvburnes, Jan 10, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -38.9%

Poured brown from the bottle with about an inch of head; the head dissipated quickly and almost completely, leaving just a slight ring around the edge. Smell was sweet and alcoholic. I don't know how to describe the taste exactly. It's sweet up front followed by a kick of funkiness that is strange and unfamiliar to me. There's a bit of solvent and steel in the taste, I think. The first part of each sip is good, but the back end doesn't suit me.

PhiloPsych, Apr 27, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -38.9%

I was not very impressed by this beer. Being a big fan of
d-bocks, I was ready to be taken away, but instead, I just sort of sat there, looking at the beer, wondering what all the fuss was about. Instead of a masterpiece in comlexity and depth, this beer had the sort of 2D, flavor-by-numbers that you often get with domestic brewpub styles. It was dark and smoky like a stout, and boozy like a double bock.

There is this "classic" double bock flavor which I have come to expect now from any d-bock. I don't know if this quintessential flavor lies in the type of malt used, the hops, some sort of decoction mashing, or what, but the one thing I do know is that, I know it when I taste it. Sadly, Celebrator does not have it. Neither does Sam Adams, btw.

The only six I have had, so far, which exude the "classic" double bock flavor are:

Allgauer Cambonator
Tucher Bajuvator
St. Martin Dunkler
Paulaner Slavator
Spaten Optimator
Augustiner Maximator

----

PS - I also thought the little billy goats dangling around the bottlenecks--while cute--were a little hokey.

DarthMalt, May 27, 2002