Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,277 | Hads: 5,864

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass. Pours a dark tawny brown with some ruby highlights at the edges. A massive beige head billows out. Great retention; left lost of sticky lace in its wake. Scents of plums, currants, wood, booze, and some roasted malts. Nice.

The body on this is much thinner than I'd like. Carbonation level is low. This feels flat and unimpressive. The flavors are malty in character. Some roasted malts at the onset, but then this gives way to a dark fruity flavor, and finishes with some alcohol heat. All in all, I did not care for this beer. I know it's one of the top 100 beers, but I have had better of the style for sure. Won't have this again most likely. (689 characters)

This is my first dopplebock, so I'm not really familiar with the style.

On first taste, the intense malt flavor shines through, which I really liked. There is a bitterness in the fade that reminds me of toasted caramel. This one sort of reminds me of a semi-stout; and I'm not too fond of that style, as I think they are too bitter. Being my first dopplebock, I can't tell if this (bitterness) is indicative of the style or not. (429 characters)

I was actually dissapointed in this brew. I figured that I would be a shoe in for someone that would enjoy a good doppelbock, but nope.. wasn't for me.

I really liked the way it looked int he glass with it's tall head and dark color. There's even a nice red hue when you hold it up to the light. Then I smelled it. It smells bitterish kind of like a beligum beer, but not really. I'm terrible at explaining scents, it just smelled off. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

Anyway, so I tasted the little thing :)

Little sour, little bitter. Malty, taste of oats and earth. Spicy aftertaste, warming.

I wasn't a fan, but I'm the vast majority, so who knows. Give it a shot.
I'll have to try another bottle in hopes that it'll be a little better. (751 characters)

Bottle poured into a glass

A: A very dark brew with a ruby hue when held to the light. A white-ish head with moderate retention and good lacing.

S: Malts but with a very prominent maple syrup aroma. Pretty basic, no fruity notes.

T: The malty sweetness is a bit overbearing, almost cloying.

M: Full-bodied. Moderate-low carbonation. Cloying.

Notes: Not my favorite beer. I do feel a bit awkward rating a beer so differently from everyone else. I looked at the brothers' review and I see that I noticed similar flavors as them. But the overbearingness of the sweetness really takes away from this beer. I will save the rest of the brews and re-try them after having experienced some other dopplebocks. (707 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -30%

A- Pleasing to look at, and the head was beautiful while it lasted, which wasn't long. It did retain a small froth on the top, all the way to the end. I was very pleased with this. As the head subsided, there were small white "floaties", which I haven't seen in other beers. My glass was clean.

S- I was not really expecting how sweet and light this beer smells when it's compared to it's looks. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read somebody else's review, but it definitely smells like raisins and malt, with a slight alcohol smell on the nose.

T- Initial taste is sweet malt and raisin, followed by a dry yet smooth middle, finished by a slight alcohol taste on the tongue. After my pint was half finished, the initial flavors seemed to have subsided and all that was really present was the bitterness, but not the roasted malt kind.

M- This beer definitely coats your mouth, but I personally don't really like the flavor that it leaves. Its reminiscent of drinking cold medicine and having that taste in your mouth afterwards. It's not a heavy beer at all, despite what some people say.

O- I gave this beer a fair review, and I can definitely say there's a lot of good about it. I just recognize that it really isn't my cup of tea (or beer). It was definitely worth a try though, and I would recommend it heartily to people that don't enjoy lighter beers and dislike the charred coffee taste of stouts and lagers. It's sweeter and not as harsh as some of the stouts that I enjoy, but I wasn't much of a fan of the alcohol on the nose and palate. I feel like it needed more body and more complex flavors to compliment the alcohol finish. (1,657 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours a dark cola brown with a short bubbly tan head.

Nose is very mild and subdued. Watery dark fruit. Raisin. Plum. Prunes.

Flavor is similar to the nose but a little better. Again mild watered down dark fruit. Plum, prune, figs and raisin. Some dark euro malt.

Mouth is light bodied with med+ creamy carb.

Overall this is a little bit of a disappointment after not having one in about 6-7 years. I remember it being better. I think my palate is just better trained now. Not a bad beer by any means. Easy to drink. Just nothing special. (546 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -28.2%

Picked this up based on my goal of trying all 50 Top Beers. Not sure what all the fuss is about....
Poured a dark-cherry tinged, black color with a quick-fading tan head.
Smell was fruity sweet - raisins, dates, plums - over a big malt base. Also some caramel toffee and maybe a hint of coffee.
Taste was complex. Again, sweet with plums, raisins, etc and toffee notes over a malt base. Alcohol bite in the finish but not bad. Still, I was expecting something more that would really get me excited about the beer. It never happened.
Feel was syrupy, slick and on the heavy side of medium-bodied.
For drinkability, I can't say I'd be searching for this beer again soon. It didn't appeal to my palate. Not sure what all the hype and high marks are for, but then that means I won't be taking any away from those who enjoy it. (827 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into a mug. Reviewed live.

A- Pours a thin off-white head with little retention. Some ring of lacing. Mahogany color with nice clarity.

S- Dark grains and malts. Actually a very subtle smell. Hard to pick up on it.

T- Malts and dark fruits. Again, subtle. Can taste a bit of the booze though.

M- Medium thickness with a nice body and clean finish.

O- Honestly, I was expecting more from this beer. (432 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -26.6%

I had this the other night. With the great reviews, I was expecting a bit more, but in general I'm not a huge fan of the style.

This beer had a good appearance but the aroma and taste were far too malty for me. This beer tasted sweet and I couldn't detect any other flavors (aside from molasses) that were doing much for me. The drinkability was average, but honestly I would have rated it lower probably because I was getting too much sweetness... and none of the creamy or smoothness that you might expect.

I suppose that I could appreciate how someone would like this, but its not one that I would go for. Its a shame because I went in expecting much more. I rather go for a substantial brown ale or porter in the same ABV range. (736 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -26.1%

Celebrator looks awesome. It's a thick brown with a huge tan head that soon fades to a thin, even layer of bubbles. Plus--the necklace! How many beers are classy enough to have a necklace?

The primary scent is like baby food. I think it's a combination of caramel and dark fruits/anise, but to me it comes off as candied carrots. I'm not a fan of candied carrots.

The taste, fortunately, gets it better; the caramel and anise are more distinct. There's a little nuttiness, and it finishes with a very pleasant roasted flavor. I'm really not getting much chocolate.

Celebrator was okay, but honestly, this seems more like a weird nut brown ale than a doppelbock lager. (676 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance is brownish, black with hints of red showing through. The head is huge, sticky and milk chocolate colored.

The aroma is of super fermented malt.

Flavor is a complex blend of malts followed by a sugary sweetness. I think it tastes much better than it smells.

Moth feel is medium bodied and smooth.

An easily drinkable beer, but I would like to follow it with something different. (402 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -24.7%

Bocks to me are just...eh, bleh. They aren't bad but I have never been truly impressed with them. I have never had an "A" graded bock so when I found "Ayinger Celebrator" I was curious. I wasn't sure if I was willing to pay $12.40 for a four pack of beer, especially for a bock. I have no problem throwing that money down for an four-pack, or even a single 22oz, of Imperial Stout but I just can't imagine paying that much for something with such little alcohol content and flavor.

I figure if this brew has such a good reputation, it must be worth trying it at least once. I just hope I don't get let down. Seeing the goats on the bottle reminded me of "Beerfest." "If you can drink Ram's piss, you can drink anything!"

Appearance: Poured a dark, filtered, cola brown with a dense of white head with moderate little, to light, retention and about the same for the lacing. The froth left on the side quickly dissipated and slide off the walls of my pint cup fairly quick. Not impressed.

Smell: The nose is pretty light and crisp with some earthy tones and bitter maltiness hidden in there. The brew is not very aromatic or impressive.

Taste: Bitter malty sweetness in the beginning that moves in to a subtle vortex of complexity. Hints of vanilla, chocolate, and fruit are subtle but still present. Light, malty, vanilla-like, bitter-sweetness lingers on for a bit after each gulp.

Mouthfeel: The medium body and low, yet smooth, carbonation really the brew go down easy.

Drinkability: In terms of alcohol content and flavor, its not worth a second try. I have another three from the four pack and I think that is going to be it for me. The brew itself is drinkable but it doesn't have a unique bite, nor is it high in alcohol. There really isn't any reason why I would buy this again.

Samuel Adam's had a lot more flavor, alcohol, and was cheaper. Plus I got twice as drunk for 3% less. Boo to Celebrator!

Germany aint got shit on American brewing!

Cheers!

-James (1,977 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -24.7%

Celebrator pours black in color with mahongany hues. Its creamy tan head only lingered briefly before fading. The body has a syrupy cling to the side of the glass. Aroma seems to consists of dark fruit, fig, feint chocolate malt and mineral water. Mouthfeel seems thinner than I'd expect from a doppelbock, but borders on being medium-bodied. Taste was somewhat of a disappointment and hard to pin down. Flavors of coffee, malt and alcohol are combined with a raisiny finish. Celebrator isn't as sweet, malty and flavorful as other doppelbocks I've tried in the past. A bit of a let down. (588 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -24%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

modified tulip glass from bottle

honestly I'm not an expert in dopplebock and bock styles but I have to say to me this was a mildly disappointing beer. If you are thinking about picking this up, I'd just get Aventinus Eisbock instead, maybe heavier but much better in my opinion

appearance: pours a very dark, cola-ish color, some subtle amber tones when held up to the light. Prominent head, cream colored by not creamy, somewhere between watery and frothy, more close to watery. head of about 2 to 3 fingers,decent retention

smell: the most prominent thing about this beer, smells as it's described, rich, dark, fruity, but not overly malty

taste: adequate, it's not that this is a bad beer, I want to stress that. it's more that given the praise this beer receives, well i'm just not so sure it's deserving. I come from a place of favoring strong dark belgian ales and whilst I do understand that this is not that, I feel as though it attempts at least in some sense to support the fruity flavors it claims to carry but the yeast does not do a very good job of it, this is a malty, malty, malty beer. It very much tastes like a generic porter or stout with dark fruity notes at the back of the take, but the strongest flavor is the roasted malt, which dominates the beer

mouthfeel:crisp but a little thick, not bad in this regard

overall: not aweful but if you're in the market for something like this, you can certainly do better. I do recommend having this with some Y Fenni cheese (otherwise known as red dragon) (1,525 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours completely opaque -- which I expected. What I did not expect was a lack of head. I poured this baby into a chalice, and I was greated with a minimal short lived dark brown head that settled into a small island in the middle of the chalice with a ring around the edge.

The aroma of this brew is unusual to me. Granted, I am no expert of Doppelbock's, but this is definitely different. I'm not sure exactly what the smell is -- stale roasted peanut shells, maybe. But lighter. Yes, I am confused and the beer is right here in front of me.

The taste is interesting. Much lighter than a stout, which is what I was somewhat expecting to taste. Apparently, I should have less preconceived notions. In any event, the taste is not complex. It is straightfoward without much depth, to my palate.

There is little carbonation feel, and the density is light and floaty -- not milky or creamy on the tongue.

I have three more of these in the cellar. I will drink them at some point or trade them with some friends who have a higher apprectiation for this beer. (1,075 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a dark ruddy brown with a small white head. Smells of dark malt and dark fruit. I am curious to see how this will turn out now. Taste was a bit of a punch in the mouth for me, the smell got me going, but the taste didn't land for me. I found it to be thick and rich, definitely a lot of flavor, with the molasses and dark fruits coming in strong. Overall, I don't think I'll seek this out again until I have a greater appreciation for it. (444 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a weizen glass it pours a deep dark cherry color when held to the light. it is fairly dark and lots of fine bubbles can be seen traveling the glass. Nice foamy head that reduces to a thin layer of suds.

In the nose I get sweet malts and confections, and I can detect the alcohol. Has a very robust smell.

Taste is a sort of burnt bitter, or roasted malt with an almost medicinal taste. it seems to have some sourness to it as well. A bit one-dimensional, in my opinion.

in the mouth it feels somewhat thin and sticky, though it is medium bodied with high carbonation.

It's fairly drinkable but 1 or 2 would probably be enough for me, but it's obviously not a session brew. It would probably be a long while before I would decide to get this again. Not really worth the $3 price tag on the 11.2 oz bottle. But the ram is cool. (841 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -23.1%

In Johnstown again for work so I went to Tulunes Southside Saloon....again! My second beer on this evening was the Celebrator Doppelbock from Ayinger. Not a Doppelbock fan so my grade for this beer will not be as high as others. The color was a ruby clear amber. The aroma had hints of honey and malt. The taste was very tart and sweet. Not a huge fan of the sweet malts that are generally put in Doppels. Due to the sweetness, the mouthfeel was rated lower than other beers. (475 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

04232015
Ayinger Celebrator doppelbock
7.2% ABV
330 ml brown glass bottle with crown $4.00 at State Street Northampton MA
Appearance: dark dark with thin brown/tan head turns quickly to big bubbles that pop and leave a ring of lace
Smell: dried fruit, prunes and cherries
Flavor: creamy but not milkshakey, malty and just a bit fruity with a touch of bitterness but not citrusy hoppy
Overall: 3.5/5 The mildness of this is nice since most of what I've been tasting is overwhelming in one area or another.
I like how rich it is, but for me, I'd like to get a bit more of something and a touch less bitterness.
I think I'll stay away from doppelbocks for now. (658 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -22.6%

Cool bottle with a souvenir plastic goat aruond the neck. Looks like Coke with a tiny head and lacing. Not especially impressive, decent carbonation. Smells of dark, dried and candied fruit. Taste: caramelized sugar, raisins, dark bread (pumpernickel/rye), booze. Bittersweet aftertaste lingers slightly. This is pleasant but extremely overhyped. I would not jump through hoops to get it. (388 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured out of a bottle into a glass for tasting.

As soon as I cracked open the cap, I thought I was in love with this beer. Lots os malt and dark fruit aromas. The taste was just as exceptional with a little warmth from the alcohol. However, that is when it started to fall apart. The beer started to develop almost a bitter metalic aftertaste that continued for an extended period of time. It certainly did not finish clean. Also, the mouthfeel was a little thin.

Given everyone else's positive review, I will probably try the beer again in case I got a bad bottle, but the poor after taste was a big turn off. (613 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -22.2%

This brew poured dark brown with a deep ruby hue around the edges when held to the light. There was a big fizzy head that disappeared quickly which both surprised and disappointed me. The aroma is sort of tannic with a hint of sweetness and alcohol. Upon first sip I immediately thought this brew was going to be too sweet, however it doesn't finish that way. The middle is of alcohol finishing up with a little bit of hops to balance all that malty sweetness. Overall I was disappointed with this brew especially after all the good reviews. I think I'm starting to notice a trend, I don't care to much for this style of brew. (626 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -21.9%

Reviewed 10/17/2007 (bottle):

Pours a dark brown red color body, with some head, a tannish color. Belgian aroma, dark fruit, sugary, malty. Dark roasted flavor, wood, little dark fruit. Roasted aftertaste. Some alcohol, porter-ish. Okay for a porter-like taste. (262 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -21.9%

Purchased from Woody's Smokes and Brews, Franklin, TN.

Not a big fan of Dopplebocks. Take that as you will.

This beer pours dark with a thick off-white head. Very black body, but with a reddish tinge at the bottom of the glass. The head is thick and dissipates slowly.

I found it to have a roasty, matly aroma with complex flavor notes, almost licorice-like in quality. Enjoyable.

Overall taste was very similar, although I thought it was a bit more complex, with notes of coffee, chocolate, nuts, as well as the aforementioned licorice. It also had a bitter finish and aftertaste, but not unpleasantly so.

Mouthfeel was medium, with not much else to report, and drinkability was decent. Average scores on both fronts.

A note: After drinking this beer, I happened to wander past my fiancee, who got a whiff of me and was intrigued. She's not a fan of beer in the slightest, but I think the maltiness piqued her interest. She gave me a closer whiff, then started her own "tasting" by kissing me lightly on the lips several times, each time coming back with different flavors that she liked. (She's into wine and good food, and is probably a "supertaster".) She found licorice, coffee, pistachio nuts, and even bubblegum on me, and was getting more and more into it before suddenly reeling back and realizing that some unknown "beer" taste had just wafted into her consciousness, and now she was unable to enjoy the other flavors.

Does Ayinger make cologne or mouthwash? I can only wish. (1,508 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -21.7%

I can sum my thought of this beer pretty quick: "Double Oktoberfest"

Now normally I don't like Munich, Vienna, or German Pale malts as are used a lot in Oktoberfest biers, but the flavors in this brew are rich and welcoming.

Looks like brown sugar and molasses showing ruby light under a tan finger of head. Smells strongly of German malts and a slight coffee bitterness.

Strong caramel and german malt with stinging carbonation adding to a bit of "twang". Hints of chocolate and molasses sneak through with a note of coffee roast bitternes.

Very drinkable for as much German Malt as there is. (605 characters)