Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,307 | Hads: 6,017
3.22/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance is brownish, black with hints of red showing through. The head is huge, sticky and milk chocolate colored.

The aroma is of super fermented malt.

Flavor is a complex blend of malts followed by a sugary sweetness. I think it tastes much better than it smells.

Moth feel is medium bodied and smooth.

An easily drinkable beer, but I would like to follow it with something different.

3.26/5  rDev -24.7%

Bocks to me are just...eh, bleh. They aren't bad but I have never been truly impressed with them. I have never had an "A" graded bock so when I found "Ayinger Celebrator" I was curious. I wasn't sure if I was willing to pay $12.40 for a four pack of beer, especially for a bock. I have no problem throwing that money down for an four-pack, or even a single 22oz, of Imperial Stout but I just can't imagine paying that much for something with such little alcohol content and flavor.

I figure if this brew has such a good reputation, it must be worth trying it at least once. I just hope I don't get let down. Seeing the goats on the bottle reminded me of "Beerfest." "If you can drink Ram's piss, you can drink anything!"

Appearance: Poured a dark, filtered, cola brown with a dense of white head with moderate little, to light, retention and about the same for the lacing. The froth left on the side quickly dissipated and slide off the walls of my pint cup fairly quick. Not impressed.

Smell: The nose is pretty light and crisp with some earthy tones and bitter maltiness hidden in there. The brew is not very aromatic or impressive.

Taste: Bitter malty sweetness in the beginning that moves in to a subtle vortex of complexity. Hints of vanilla, chocolate, and fruit are subtle but still present. Light, malty, vanilla-like, bitter-sweetness lingers on for a bit after each gulp.

Mouthfeel: The medium body and low, yet smooth, carbonation really the brew go down easy.

Drinkability: In terms of alcohol content and flavor, its not worth a second try. I have another three from the four pack and I think that is going to be it for me. The brew itself is drinkable but it doesn't have a unique bite, nor is it high in alcohol. There really isn't any reason why I would buy this again.

Samuel Adam's had a lot more flavor, alcohol, and was cheaper. Plus I got twice as drunk for 3% less. Boo to Celebrator!

Germany aint got shit on American brewing!

3.26/5  rDev -24.7%

Celebrator pours black in color with mahongany hues. Its creamy tan head only lingered briefly before fading. The body has a syrupy cling to the side of the glass. Aroma seems to consists of dark fruit, fig, feint chocolate malt and mineral water. Mouthfeel seems thinner than I'd expect from a doppelbock, but borders on being medium-bodied. Taste was somewhat of a disappointment and hard to pin down. Flavors of coffee, malt and alcohol are combined with a raisiny finish. Celebrator isn't as sweet, malty and flavorful as other doppelbocks I've tried in the past. A bit of a let down.

3.29/5  rDev -24%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

modified tulip glass from bottle

honestly I'm not an expert in dopplebock and bock styles but I have to say to me this was a mildly disappointing beer. If you are thinking about picking this up, I'd just get Aventinus Eisbock instead, maybe heavier but much better in my opinion

appearance: pours a very dark, cola-ish color, some subtle amber tones when held up to the light. Prominent head, cream colored by not creamy, somewhere between watery and frothy, more close to watery. head of about 2 to 3 fingers,decent retention

smell: the most prominent thing about this beer, smells as it's described, rich, dark, fruity, but not overly malty

taste: adequate, it's not that this is a bad beer, I want to stress that. it's more that given the praise this beer receives, well i'm just not so sure it's deserving. I come from a place of favoring strong dark belgian ales and whilst I do understand that this is not that, I feel as though it attempts at least in some sense to support the fruity flavors it claims to carry but the yeast does not do a very good job of it, this is a malty, malty, malty beer. It very much tastes like a generic porter or stout with dark fruity notes at the back of the take, but the strongest flavor is the roasted malt, which dominates the beer

mouthfeel:crisp but a little thick, not bad in this regard

overall: not aweful but if you're in the market for something like this, you can certainly do better. I do recommend having this with some Y Fenni cheese (otherwise known as red dragon)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours completely opaque -- which I expected. What I did not expect was a lack of head. I poured this baby into a chalice, and I was greated with a minimal short lived dark brown head that settled into a small island in the middle of the chalice with a ring around the edge.

The aroma of this brew is unusual to me. Granted, I am no expert of Doppelbock's, but this is definitely different. I'm not sure exactly what the smell is -- stale roasted peanut shells, maybe. But lighter. Yes, I am confused and the beer is right here in front of me.

The taste is interesting. Much lighter than a stout, which is what I was somewhat expecting to taste. Apparently, I should have less preconceived notions. In any event, the taste is not complex. It is straightfoward without much depth, to my palate.

There is little carbonation feel, and the density is light and floaty -- not milky or creamy on the tongue.

I have three more of these in the cellar. I will drink them at some point or trade them with some friends who have a higher apprectiation for this beer.

3.3/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a dark ruddy brown with a small white head. Smells of dark malt and dark fruit. I am curious to see how this will turn out now. Taste was a bit of a punch in the mouth for me, the smell got me going, but the taste didn't land for me. I found it to be thick and rich, definitely a lot of flavor, with the molasses and dark fruits coming in strong. Overall, I don't think I'll seek this out again until I have a greater appreciation for it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a weizen glass it pours a deep dark cherry color when held to the light. it is fairly dark and lots of fine bubbles can be seen traveling the glass. Nice foamy head that reduces to a thin layer of suds.

In the nose I get sweet malts and confections, and I can detect the alcohol. Has a very robust smell.

Taste is a sort of burnt bitter, or roasted malt with an almost medicinal taste. it seems to have some sourness to it as well. A bit one-dimensional, in my opinion.

in the mouth it feels somewhat thin and sticky, though it is medium bodied with high carbonation.

It's fairly drinkable but 1 or 2 would probably be enough for me, but it's obviously not a session brew. It would probably be a long while before I would decide to get this again. Not really worth the $3 price tag on the 11.2 oz bottle. But the ram is cool.

3.33/5  rDev -23.1%

In Johnstown again for work so I went to Tulunes Southside Saloon....again! My second beer on this evening was the Celebrator Doppelbock from Ayinger. Not a Doppelbock fan so my grade for this beer will not be as high as others. The color was a ruby clear amber. The aroma had hints of honey and malt. The taste was very tart and sweet. Not a huge fan of the sweet malts that are generally put in Doppels. Due to the sweetness, the mouthfeel was rated lower than other beers.

3.33/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ayinger Celebrator doppelbock
7.2% ABV
330 ml brown glass bottle with crown $4.00 at State Street Northampton MA
Appearance: dark dark with thin brown/tan head turns quickly to big bubbles that pop and leave a ring of lace
Smell: dried fruit, prunes and cherries
Flavor: creamy but not milkshakey, malty and just a bit fruity with a touch of bitterness but not citrusy hoppy
Overall: 3.5/5 The mildness of this is nice since most of what I've been tasting is overwhelming in one area or another.
I like how rich it is, but for me, I'd like to get a bit more of something and a touch less bitterness.
I think I'll stay away from doppelbocks for now.

3.35/5  rDev -22.6%

Cool bottle with a souvenir plastic goat aruond the neck. Looks like Coke with a tiny head and lacing. Not especially impressive, decent carbonation. Smells of dark, dried and candied fruit. Taste: caramelized sugar, raisins, dark bread (pumpernickel/rye), booze. Bittersweet aftertaste lingers slightly. This is pleasant but extremely overhyped. I would not jump through hoops to get it.

3.37/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured out of a bottle into a glass for tasting.

As soon as I cracked open the cap, I thought I was in love with this beer. Lots os malt and dark fruit aromas. The taste was just as exceptional with a little warmth from the alcohol. However, that is when it started to fall apart. The beer started to develop almost a bitter metalic aftertaste that continued for an extended period of time. It certainly did not finish clean. Also, the mouthfeel was a little thin.

Given everyone else's positive review, I will probably try the beer again in case I got a bad bottle, but the poor after taste was a big turn off.

3.37/5  rDev -22.2%

This brew poured dark brown with a deep ruby hue around the edges when held to the light. There was a big fizzy head that disappeared quickly which both surprised and disappointed me. The aroma is sort of tannic with a hint of sweetness and alcohol. Upon first sip I immediately thought this brew was going to be too sweet, however it doesn't finish that way. The middle is of alcohol finishing up with a little bit of hops to balance all that malty sweetness. Overall I was disappointed with this brew especially after all the good reviews. I think I'm starting to notice a trend, I don't care to much for this style of brew.

3.38/5  rDev -21.9%

Reviewed 10/17/2007 (bottle):

Pours a dark brown red color body, with some head, a tannish color. Belgian aroma, dark fruit, sugary, malty. Dark roasted flavor, wood, little dark fruit. Roasted aftertaste. Some alcohol, porter-ish. Okay for a porter-like taste.

3.38/5  rDev -21.9%

Purchased from Woody's Smokes and Brews, Franklin, TN.

Not a big fan of Dopplebocks. Take that as you will.

This beer pours dark with a thick off-white head. Very black body, but with a reddish tinge at the bottom of the glass. The head is thick and dissipates slowly.

I found it to have a roasty, matly aroma with complex flavor notes, almost licorice-like in quality. Enjoyable.

Overall taste was very similar, although I thought it was a bit more complex, with notes of coffee, chocolate, nuts, as well as the aforementioned licorice. It also had a bitter finish and aftertaste, but not unpleasantly so.

Mouthfeel was medium, with not much else to report, and drinkability was decent. Average scores on both fronts.

A note: After drinking this beer, I happened to wander past my fiancee, who got a whiff of me and was intrigued. She's not a fan of beer in the slightest, but I think the maltiness piqued her interest. She gave me a closer whiff, then started her own "tasting" by kissing me lightly on the lips several times, each time coming back with different flavors that she liked. (She's into wine and good food, and is probably a "supertaster".) She found licorice, coffee, pistachio nuts, and even bubblegum on me, and was getting more and more into it before suddenly reeling back and realizing that some unknown "beer" taste had just wafted into her consciousness, and now she was unable to enjoy the other flavors.

Does Ayinger make cologne or mouthwash? I can only wish.

3.39/5  rDev -21.7%

I can sum my thought of this beer pretty quick: "Double Oktoberfest"

Now normally I don't like Munich, Vienna, or German Pale malts as are used a lot in Oktoberfest biers, but the flavors in this brew are rich and welcoming.

Looks like brown sugar and molasses showing ruby light under a tan finger of head. Smells strongly of German malts and a slight coffee bitterness.

Strong caramel and german malt with stinging carbonation adding to a bit of "twang". Hints of chocolate and molasses sneak through with a note of coffee roast bitternes.

Very drinkable for as much German Malt as there is.

3.41/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured a thick opaque black with a tiny tiny mocha head that didn't even cover all of the beer. The smell is primarily of figs and prunes. There might be some skunkiness in there too.
The taste was also very sweet and like figs. It had some hops to balance it, but not quite enough, giving it sort of a taste that I associate with the smell of the cat food I used to give my cats. So, I'm not really a fan. But it was an alright, decent beer. I don't usually ever say a beer is overly sweet because I like sweet beers, but sometimes they just are. And this one was. Too sweet, that is.

3.42/5  rDev -21%

Poured almost black into a Celebrator glass, with a off white head, that went away quickly. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, and small amout of alcohol. Smooth taste including coffee and chocolate. A very nice double bock, used to be the good old stand by, but the alcohol was a thing to watch with this one.

3.43/5  rDev -20.8%

Bottle poured into a pint glass and split. I really could not get into this beer but It probably is great if you like this style. I pours a nice dark brown with a foamy head but then everything goes down for me. Tastes and smells way too smokey and I did not find this to balance well with the caramel maltiness that much. Overall I found it just too thick and not very drinkable for what it was.

3.43/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This use to be my favorite beer but quality has declined with new owners. Can still say to try it if you have not had it. It is for a Doppelbock still one of the top 10 that I have tried and continue to see if it will return to being the Best. But for the price and quality way overrated due the quality, if it was the same as in the past I would again consider it a great Beer! Not just above average.

3.44/5  rDev -20.6%

12 ounce bottle. Poured a beautiful mahogany with a creamy light brown head that clings well to the sides of the glass. Aroma is not at bold as I expected and that’s a let down for me. Prunes and chocolate chew are the major player. Flavors of smoke, chocolate, prune juice. abound. Full body.

3.44/5  rDev -20.6%

Appearance: This was a very dark beer that showed its true colors when held up to the light: a deep ruby red. The head was rough and tan and dissipated quickly. By the time I was halfway done with the beer, there was no head and not a trace of lace left on the glass.

Smell: The odor of raisins dominated this brew. Overall, it had a heavy, sweet aroma.

Mouthfeel: This beer was full, but not as smooth as I expected or wanted it to be.

Taste: This was a sweet beer, but not overly so. There was a little bit of malt sweetness, but more of a candy sugar taste. I could not detect any hops bitterness at all. There was a mild, sour "twang" on the finish.

I have had this beer before and this is pretty much how I remembered it. It is not bad, but I am not overly impressed with it either. I am not a sweet beer lover, or a big doppelbock fan. However, it is probably a good representation of the style.

3.44/5  rDev -20.6%

My second try on this beer. Had one about 6 months ago and was not impressed. Ready to give it another go. Pours a dark brown almost black with a beige short lived head. Still life in a glass. Smell is all malt all sorghum and molassas. Some notes of burnt sugar. Intriquing. Maybe my palatte has changed as this smells better than I recalled.

Taste is heavy with the sorghum. Sweet in a totally different way than the sweetness of a JW Lee or a Duchesse. It is not a cloying sweetness. There is a smokey or burnt sugar undertone which applies a sort of bitterness. It's all a bit much for me. The taste is certainly not "average," but I would be hard pressed to call it "good."

While it is heavy tasting stuff, it is surprisingly thin in the mouthfeel. No carbonation to speak of. To me, this is usually a good thing, but in this case, it feels somewhat watery to be honest.

This beer gets some high reviews and must be a good example of the style. I just have to conclude that dopplebocks are not my thing.

3.46/5  rDev -20.1%

Got a 330mL single of this apparently epic brew at Harvest Fine Wine in West Hartford CT for $3.18. Served cold in a chilled goblet.

A hard pour of this dark brown brew gives a reluctant 1/2" of creamy tan head that settles quickly to a thin layer. A generous level of carbonation is seen clinging to the inside of the glass. The nose is spot-on, thick and bready, brown sugar, some earthy nutty kind of aspects, banana. The feel is only moderately thick, fairly dry, with a fairly aggressive carbonation. Taste is kind of muddy- some earthy bitterness, burnt molasses, maybe some anise... all lumped together, none of it is distinct. Taste is much less interesting than the smell. Finishes with lingering bitter earth, mostly dry.

Pretty mediocre in my opinion, certainly nothing special. More like a dunkel than a doppelbock, especially in the lack of sweetness or body. Can't believe it rates this highly.

3.46/5  rDev -20.1%

11.2oz bottle with no bottled on or freshness date, but I'm not complaining because I get a cool plastic goat. Poured into a Mac & Jack's pint glass, reviewed on 4/26/11

A: Pours a deep dark brown with tan head dissipating to a collar that leaves little lacing around glass.

S: Doughy dark malts with some soy sauce and a touch of molasses and spices.

T: Dark toasted bread-like malts, bitter herbal hops, burnt sugar and a hint of salty soy sauce.

M: Creamy and smooth medium body with some carbonation.

O: Decent beer, don't love it and don't hate it. Looks and feels good but I don't really enjoy the smell much. This tastes better than it smells but the soy sauce that I pick up in the aroma and taste definitely cost this some points. Fairly drinkable for a dark 6.7% ABV beer.

3.48/5  rDev -19.6%

I'm sorry fellow advocates but I don't understand the high ranking of this beer. I admit it was my first Bock, but I usually don't need to have something grow on me. I knew right away that Belgian ale would never be a favorite, so goes with this. The beer was dark and seemed to have tinges of red, kind of a medium porter look. Head went adios in seconds and absolutely no lace to be found as the glass was drained. Smell was strong and sweet with toffee overtones. Taste was very sweet yet smooth, malt dominating. Thick mouthfeel is as I assume is right for this style, drinkability is O.K., but I can't see taking this style up regularly. I can think of many other beers for this dark winter night I would have rather had.