Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,295 | Hads: 5,952
3.37/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured out of a bottle into a glass for tasting.

As soon as I cracked open the cap, I thought I was in love with this beer. Lots os malt and dark fruit aromas. The taste was just as exceptional with a little warmth from the alcohol. However, that is when it started to fall apart. The beer started to develop almost a bitter metalic aftertaste that continued for an extended period of time. It certainly did not finish clean. Also, the mouthfeel was a little thin.

Given everyone else's positive review, I will probably try the beer again in case I got a bad bottle, but the poor after taste was a big turn off.

3.37/5  rDev -22.2%

This brew poured dark brown with a deep ruby hue around the edges when held to the light. There was a big fizzy head that disappeared quickly which both surprised and disappointed me. The aroma is sort of tannic with a hint of sweetness and alcohol. Upon first sip I immediately thought this brew was going to be too sweet, however it doesn't finish that way. The middle is of alcohol finishing up with a little bit of hops to balance all that malty sweetness. Overall I was disappointed with this brew especially after all the good reviews. I think I'm starting to notice a trend, I don't care to much for this style of brew.

3.38/5  rDev -21.9%

Reviewed 10/17/2007 (bottle):

Pours a dark brown red color body, with some head, a tannish color. Belgian aroma, dark fruit, sugary, malty. Dark roasted flavor, wood, little dark fruit. Roasted aftertaste. Some alcohol, porter-ish. Okay for a porter-like taste.

3.38/5  rDev -21.9%

Purchased from Woody's Smokes and Brews, Franklin, TN.

Not a big fan of Dopplebocks. Take that as you will.

This beer pours dark with a thick off-white head. Very black body, but with a reddish tinge at the bottom of the glass. The head is thick and dissipates slowly.

I found it to have a roasty, matly aroma with complex flavor notes, almost licorice-like in quality. Enjoyable.

Overall taste was very similar, although I thought it was a bit more complex, with notes of coffee, chocolate, nuts, as well as the aforementioned licorice. It also had a bitter finish and aftertaste, but not unpleasantly so.

Mouthfeel was medium, with not much else to report, and drinkability was decent. Average scores on both fronts.

A note: After drinking this beer, I happened to wander past my fiancee, who got a whiff of me and was intrigued. She's not a fan of beer in the slightest, but I think the maltiness piqued her interest. She gave me a closer whiff, then started her own "tasting" by kissing me lightly on the lips several times, each time coming back with different flavors that she liked. (She's into wine and good food, and is probably a "supertaster".) She found licorice, coffee, pistachio nuts, and even bubblegum on me, and was getting more and more into it before suddenly reeling back and realizing that some unknown "beer" taste had just wafted into her consciousness, and now she was unable to enjoy the other flavors.

Does Ayinger make cologne or mouthwash? I can only wish.

3.39/5  rDev -21.7%

I can sum my thought of this beer pretty quick: "Double Oktoberfest"

Now normally I don't like Munich, Vienna, or German Pale malts as are used a lot in Oktoberfest biers, but the flavors in this brew are rich and welcoming.

Looks like brown sugar and molasses showing ruby light under a tan finger of head. Smells strongly of German malts and a slight coffee bitterness.

Strong caramel and german malt with stinging carbonation adding to a bit of "twang". Hints of chocolate and molasses sneak through with a note of coffee roast bitternes.

Very drinkable for as much German Malt as there is.

3.41/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured a thick opaque black with a tiny tiny mocha head that didn't even cover all of the beer. The smell is primarily of figs and prunes. There might be some skunkiness in there too.
The taste was also very sweet and like figs. It had some hops to balance it, but not quite enough, giving it sort of a taste that I associate with the smell of the cat food I used to give my cats. So, I'm not really a fan. But it was an alright, decent beer. I don't usually ever say a beer is overly sweet because I like sweet beers, but sometimes they just are. And this one was. Too sweet, that is.

3.42/5  rDev -21%

Poured almost black into a Celebrator glass, with a off white head, that went away quickly. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, and small amout of alcohol. Smooth taste including coffee and chocolate. A very nice double bock, used to be the good old stand by, but the alcohol was a thing to watch with this one.

3.43/5  rDev -20.8%

Bottle poured into a pint glass and split. I really could not get into this beer but It probably is great if you like this style. I pours a nice dark brown with a foamy head but then everything goes down for me. Tastes and smells way too smokey and I did not find this to balance well with the caramel maltiness that much. Overall I found it just too thick and not very drinkable for what it was.

3.43/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This use to be my favorite beer but quality has declined with new owners. Can still say to try it if you have not had it. It is for a Doppelbock still one of the top 10 that I have tried and continue to see if it will return to being the Best. But for the price and quality way overrated due the quality, if it was the same as in the past I would again consider it a great Beer! Not just above average.

3.44/5  rDev -20.6%

12 ounce bottle. Poured a beautiful mahogany with a creamy light brown head that clings well to the sides of the glass. Aroma is not at bold as I expected and that’s a let down for me. Prunes and chocolate chew are the major player. Flavors of smoke, chocolate, prune juice. abound. Full body.

3.44/5  rDev -20.6%

Appearance: This was a very dark beer that showed its true colors when held up to the light: a deep ruby red. The head was rough and tan and dissipated quickly. By the time I was halfway done with the beer, there was no head and not a trace of lace left on the glass.

Smell: The odor of raisins dominated this brew. Overall, it had a heavy, sweet aroma.

Mouthfeel: This beer was full, but not as smooth as I expected or wanted it to be.

Taste: This was a sweet beer, but not overly so. There was a little bit of malt sweetness, but more of a candy sugar taste. I could not detect any hops bitterness at all. There was a mild, sour "twang" on the finish.

I have had this beer before and this is pretty much how I remembered it. It is not bad, but I am not overly impressed with it either. I am not a sweet beer lover, or a big doppelbock fan. However, it is probably a good representation of the style.

3.44/5  rDev -20.6%

My second try on this beer. Had one about 6 months ago and was not impressed. Ready to give it another go. Pours a dark brown almost black with a beige short lived head. Still life in a glass. Smell is all malt all sorghum and molassas. Some notes of burnt sugar. Intriquing. Maybe my palatte has changed as this smells better than I recalled.

Taste is heavy with the sorghum. Sweet in a totally different way than the sweetness of a JW Lee or a Duchesse. It is not a cloying sweetness. There is a smokey or burnt sugar undertone which applies a sort of bitterness. It's all a bit much for me. The taste is certainly not "average," but I would be hard pressed to call it "good."

While it is heavy tasting stuff, it is surprisingly thin in the mouthfeel. No carbonation to speak of. To me, this is usually a good thing, but in this case, it feels somewhat watery to be honest.

This beer gets some high reviews and must be a good example of the style. I just have to conclude that dopplebocks are not my thing.

3.46/5  rDev -20.1%

Got a 330mL single of this apparently epic brew at Harvest Fine Wine in West Hartford CT for $3.18. Served cold in a chilled goblet.

A hard pour of this dark brown brew gives a reluctant 1/2" of creamy tan head that settles quickly to a thin layer. A generous level of carbonation is seen clinging to the inside of the glass. The nose is spot-on, thick and bready, brown sugar, some earthy nutty kind of aspects, banana. The feel is only moderately thick, fairly dry, with a fairly aggressive carbonation. Taste is kind of muddy- some earthy bitterness, burnt molasses, maybe some anise... all lumped together, none of it is distinct. Taste is much less interesting than the smell. Finishes with lingering bitter earth, mostly dry.

Pretty mediocre in my opinion, certainly nothing special. More like a dunkel than a doppelbock, especially in the lack of sweetness or body. Can't believe it rates this highly.

3.46/5  rDev -20.1%

11.2oz bottle with no bottled on or freshness date, but I'm not complaining because I get a cool plastic goat. Poured into a Mac & Jack's pint glass, reviewed on 4/26/11

A: Pours a deep dark brown with tan head dissipating to a collar that leaves little lacing around glass.

S: Doughy dark malts with some soy sauce and a touch of molasses and spices.

T: Dark toasted bread-like malts, bitter herbal hops, burnt sugar and a hint of salty soy sauce.

M: Creamy and smooth medium body with some carbonation.

O: Decent beer, don't love it and don't hate it. Looks and feels good but I don't really enjoy the smell much. This tastes better than it smells but the soy sauce that I pick up in the aroma and taste definitely cost this some points. Fairly drinkable for a dark 6.7% ABV beer.

3.48/5  rDev -19.6%

I'm sorry fellow advocates but I don't understand the high ranking of this beer. I admit it was my first Bock, but I usually don't need to have something grow on me. I knew right away that Belgian ale would never be a favorite, so goes with this. The beer was dark and seemed to have tinges of red, kind of a medium porter look. Head went adios in seconds and absolutely no lace to be found as the glass was drained. Smell was strong and sweet with toffee overtones. Taste was very sweet yet smooth, malt dominating. Thick mouthfeel is as I assume is right for this style, drinkability is O.K., but I can't see taking this style up regularly. I can think of many other beers for this dark winter night I would have rather had.

3.48/5  rDev -19.6%

From notes written a couple of weeks ago:

11.2oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $2.99. I picked it up because I hadn't had this beer for some time and was amazed to discover I'd never reviewed it.

Poured a super dark brown that took on a very slight ruby hue when held to the light. Decent sized tan head that dropped after a couple of minutes. Modest sheets of lace that slide down the sides of my pintglass quickly.

The nose is of molasses and mildly bitter chocolate. Not a whole lot else going on. Seems a little subdued for a doppelbock.

The sense of something that's a little too sedate for it's own good continues to the taste. The taste is mildly chocolaty, with a little balancing bitterness thrown in, but it's very mellow.

The mouthfeel is a little thin for the style. With a doppelbock I expect a meal in a glass - this ain't it.

Not a bad tasting beer, but nevertheless disappointing. Either this has been dumbed down in the couple of years since I had it or I've learned to expect more. Either way, if there's another doppelbock available, I'll be reaching for it before grabbing this one again.

3.49/5  rDev -19.4%

Based on the reviews and past experiences with the style, I was really looking forward to this one.

A - Pours a dark mohogany with a ruby red hue, finger of mocha coloured head with decent retention and no real lacing.

S - Musty chocolate and raisins, with a touch of leather. Reminiscent of a barley wine and almost smells like a wet dog.

T - Malted barley comes through with dark fruits and a touch of chocolate and molasses. Leather and toffee notes come through as it warms. A tad on the sour side, and I was expecting something a bit sweeter.

M - Medium bodied ale that goes down smooth but finishes a tad too dry for my liking.

D - Overall a tasty offering, but I certainly didn't have the same experience as some of the other BA's. I much prefer Trois Mousquetaires Doppelbock and am inclined to try this again in a head to head challenge. A little disappointed, but I'll pick up another in the event that my bottle was dated or off.

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

A nice looking bottle complete with a Christmas ornament if the season is right and your tree underdecorated. Pours a nice thick looking very dark brown--reddish when held up to light, with a nice tan head. A rich aroma of fruit (plums, prunes?), and spice. Tastes a bit of coffee and again has some fruit tones (raisons, prunes??) with some bitter hops in the finsih. Sweet and malty. Not a particularly smooth beer and a bit thin in the mouth. An alright beer, although I was a bit disappointed by it--I like Salvator very much and was expecting to really enjoy this as well, and while its still pretty good, I was not blown away.

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

Received in a trade from jlindros.

A - Not quite what I was expecting based on the whiff I got when I popped the bottle. Poured into a 22 ounce mug. Very brown that shines a nice red through the light. Three finger, yellowish-brownish-off white head tha dissapated very quickly with no lacing.

S - Sweet sticky smell, no hops. Definately some fruit going on there, plums or dates it seems mostly.

T - No hops, almost a little stout-esque here. A lot of roasted malts, mostly toffee with a sugary taste that coats your tongue.

M - Syrupy, light carbonation. Definately not light, more the heavier side of medium.

D - Pretty easy to get down, they syrupiness of this brew would keep it from being a session beer for me, and the sugary aftertaste makes it turn a little sour if you aren't drinking fast.

Slightly above average

Dark brown with very little tan head
aroma burnt chocolate and malt
Flavor coffee, chocolate, malt, hint of something more...maybe fig like...
Mouthfeel ok not too thin not thick
Drinkability ok
Nothing great but not bad...overall...I will not look for it...but if I happen to get some I will drink it

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an EKU 28 snifter in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high given its high rating balanced against my usual disdain for bocks. A hanging plastic goat lends the presentation a unique characteristic. I like the cover art.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues were anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and okay retention - though the retention problem seems unlikely given the mere 6.7% ABV. Colour is a nontransparent solid black. Nothing strikes me, though it is appealing.

Sm: Chocolate, vanilla, caramelized malt, cream, and some toffee. Maybe some alcohol. A mild strength aroma.

T: Chocolate, with some dark malts as the foundation. Hints of cream and vanilla. Well balanced and built, if simple. A hint of nuts. Hints of roasted barley. Some mild layering, but nothing impressive.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Not creamy enough. Coarse enough to allow the flavours to come through without being unpleasant. Neither too thick nor too thin, but not perfect either.

Dr: Very drinkable. I do like it, but I don't know that it's the best doppelbock ever brewed. If it is, that doesn't bode well for doppelbocks as a style in my book. I'd certainly have it again, ideally on nitro-draught.

High B-

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark, reddish brown with nice head into the celebrator glass. Edges of the brew are lighter red and middle is black. I love when that happens.

Very nice strong smell of dark dried fruits from the malt.

Taste is not exactly my cup of tea, although I give it credit for its strong complex flavors. Licorice and burnt malt flavors come through. Keep this one out about 45 minutes before drinking, as its much better when its warmer.

Heavy mouthfeel with a bit of acidic aftertaste. I'm not digging the aftertaste so much, which also affects its drinkability. I sipped on this one for a long time, and I didn't feel like grabbing another. But if I liked the taste more this would be a good, easy drinking.

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

This was on tap at City Limits Diner in Stamford CT. Unfortunately, I think the CO2 balance was off at this place. My colleque had the same flat, but tingly carbonation feeling about the SA Oktoberfest.

A-Dark brown with a burgundy head. Nearly filled to the rim by the bartender. 1/8 inch head fell to nothin in the time it took her to bring it from the tap to my spot at the bar.

S-I only get caramel malt and a little yeast. Unforntunately this is probably due to the bad pour combined with the out of whack CO2.

T-Sweet caramel malt. Alcohol tatste. Slight bitterness on the finish

M-Full body, flat but tingly carbonation. Odd.

D-I just didn't enjoy this one, real bad way to finish the evening. It is unfortunate that a poorly calibrated system and a bad pour by the bartender coudl have possibly ruined what should be a top beer. I will defintiely have to revisit this one.

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

330ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Very dark but not black. When held to the light you get very dark red highlights shining through. Light brown one finger head. Just OK lacing.

S: Dark fruits. Dark cherries, plums, raisins, & wine grapes. Sweet caramel malts. Slight hints of roasted malts. Maple syrup. Very light chocolate and coffee.

T: Caramel at first. Dark cherries, raisins, & other dark fruits. Very light chocolate notes and an almost undetectable coffee bitterness. A maple syrup flavor throughout. Very sweet.

M: Pretty light. Low carbonation. Would have liked a syrupy/creamy feel to go with the smell and taste.

O: This is a very complex style. So much going on the the aroma and taste. I will need to have a bad beer in this style to better weight my ratings. I know now that this style isn't for me. To sweet for me.

3.51/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours pale orange with a thin, wispy collar of foam and a malt-n-vinegar nose.

Entry shows subdued carbonation on the tongue and sweet malt in the back of the mouth. Midtaste features biscuity notes and a nice malt follow-through. Finish has a hop note followed by a slow malt fade.

Mouthfeel is acceptable...and this beer would be best served with an order of Bangers or fish and chips.