Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,307 | Hads: 6,008
4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours dark, almost black, from its bottle with the little goat figurine hanging on it. The goat is now hanging from one of my cabinets in the kitchen. A nice large white head forms after a standard pour, but fades after a minute or so. Light seeps into the bottom of the glass, making the bottom look a little lighter than the middle and upper parts. Very nice! The aroma is big malty sweetness with a bit of dark dried fruits thrown in. The taste is huge malt right out out of the gate. Yeast and bready flavors begin to hit the tongue almost immediately. As it sits on the tongue, the dried fruits from the aroma make an appearance. The aftertaste is a nice mix of malt and bread. It feels very full in your mouth, the heavy carbonation level tickles the roof of your mouth. I found it very smooth. It was nice and drinkable for the first half of the pint, but I found myself struggling to finish the final quarter of it. I found the malt flavors began to pound all the other flavors into submission and it became a little overpowering and overwhelming. It seems like I would only want one of these in a sitting, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will definitely explore this one further.

This was my first experience with a doppelbock and I chose a good one. It tasted like an extremely malted porter or stout. I'll be exploring this style further.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 330 ml bottle claiming it contains the "finest Bavarian double bock beer", and displays an illustration of two goats getting frisky with a helpless glass of beer. Upon pouring, an ample tan head formed on the blackish liquid, and soon settled into a thin blanket of foam, leaving fine lacing in its wake. When the beer was held up to a small lamp, the color is a deep and seductive ruby, like a dark red wine. This one was a sniffer, with an upfront nose of dark roasted malts, with perky and clean accents of ripe plantains and turkish coffee. Fantastic and well-defined character! The beer tasted delicioius as well. It started with a suprisingly bittersweet roasty malt wallop, and was soon joined by flavors of raisins, dark bitter chocolate, and coffee, with faint suggestions of cherry. The finish was fairly dry, with chocolate and cherry flavors lingering. I was highly impressed by the everything but the mouthfeel, which I felt could was just a little too thin. This problem is insigificant however, compared with its exceptional beauty, and the characteristics of smell/taste. After experiencing this dopplebock, I am not inclined to argue with the claim on the bottle.

Pours a very dark body with a nice thick off-white head. The head slowly settles to a fine thin layer.

Smells nice and malty (I'm partial to the malty side of beers) and I can really smell that barley wort aroma. Sweet and fruity as well.

Nice sweet malt flavor with a slight drying finish. Certainly has that German beer taste. What is that? It leaves a smooth lingering smoothness that makes me reach for the next sip. High quality brew here.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Celebrator is definitely a great beer. It is a very dark, almost black color. It provides a good head and the smell of this beer is really something special. The aroma of chocolate is detectable as well as a very malty smell. This is a thick beer but not overpowering. It is not highly carbonated and goes down smooth. The flavors of chocolate and coffee are evident. Despite its thick body, it goes down smooth. I had a few of these during Christmas dinner and afterward. A few people have said it has gone well with meats but I would also suggest it with goose which is what I had for Christmas this year. It turned out to be a good combination.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured a big tan head that left a solid lacing as it faded to a thin film. The beer is black in color and had a cola colored glow when lit. Smells of sweet malt, raisins, and toffee. The taste was smooth and clean with hints of sweet roasted malt. The mellow flavor reminded me of oatmeal stout. All in all a solid beer.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a nonic pint glass, at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse. The color was black, with a wispy beige head. The smell was slightly malt sweet. The taste was a very well-balanced sweet malt, with no alcohol present in the taste. Mouthfeel was nice and thick. Drinkability-wise, I could definitely have quite a few of these.

A fantastic dopplebock, and between this and Salvator, the best examples of the style out there. I'm just sorry that I missed it this long, but now that I'm in the know, I'll certainly have this one again!

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a dark chestnut brown with a light off white fluffy head. Smells malty with a bit of raisiny fruit. Taste is massive sweet malt and then more malt. Nice dark sweet bread flavours with just enough hops to keep this beer from slipping into the abyss. Mouthfeel is smooth and big. Drinkability is quite good too even though the beer is at 6.8 ABV. Goes great with roasted meats or some nice smoked wurst and red cabbage. One of the classic Dopplebocks.. A huge beer in a little 12 oz bottle. A staple in my beer fridge.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a mahogany brown with a tall, tight fluff tan colored head. The beer smells of dark caramelized raisins, plums and other sweet fruits. the mouthfeel is rich, milky smooth that glides past the tongue like liquid silk. The taste is rich, sweet, malty, like a wicked cheesecake after a big meal. This is a big heavy beer that demands to be sipped and enjoyed; no guzzling this one. The finish is a dry sweet one that lingers on the edge of the tounge. Great beer

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Large fizzy light brown head. Very dark brown in color with garnet highlights. The head becomes frothy and recedes slowly. The lace becomes thick on the surface. Marvelous aroma of dark fruits and sweet molasses. Smooth almost silky medium to full mouthfeel with a soft carbonation. Lots of dark fruit malty flavors – plums raisins, fig. Chocolate notes and coffee notes come through in the finish with a slight hop presence at the very end. Wonderfully easy drinking brew that easily lives up to its reputation. Very enjoyable.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

I had a bottle of Celebrator several years ago, before I was versed in double bocks, and thought it was too extreme. After sampling more of the style, I felt ready to try it again, especially after reading all the raves here on BeerAdvocate.

It looks just like it should, very dark with a nice foamy head. It smells of malt, malt and malt, The taste is good, but just a little lighter than I was expecting. This is really picking nits, but I found Primator's Double Bock to be better (namely sweeter) which is why I've only given the taste a 3.5 instead of 4. But that is very subjective.

It has a good mouthfeel: super-smooth and glassy.

Celebrator is a good choice. But I feel it stands almost equally with the other double bocks I've reviewed. I'm beginning to think that double bocks are like porter: hard to mess up. The differences between them come down to personal preference. Enjoy it along with Optimator and Primator. And I look forward to trying more of this great style.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

The beer poured dark amber brown. The head was off-white, almost tan, and lasted to lace the glass.

The aromas were chocolate, raisins, dark fruits, and sweet caramel malt. A very complex aroma profile.

The flavor was chocolate and raisin well balanced within the malt sweetness. The flavor, like the aroma, was complex.

The finish was dry chocolate. The body was medium.

11.2 ounce bottle. (Which had been in the beer fridge for quite some time stored cold but had no freshness dating information.)

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours dark with reddish highlights, brown creamy head. Strong, bold malt aroma. One sip and you know you have a prize. Creamy mouthfeel and a roasted, almost chocolate flavor. Nicely carbonated and very drinkable for the style. Something tells me I may one day have an entire herd of little plastic goats ...

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

It pours a tar black with a smallish beige head and a bit of sticky lace. Aromas of dark chocolate, licorice, coffee and slight alcohol fuminess lasts a god long time. A heavy, almost oily malt body is home to many rich flavors and tastes. Strong coffee, chocolate and fresh rye bread-like tastes are upfront. Tastes of licorice, orange zest, toffee and nice alcohol finish get together very nicely. As it warms a taste of prunes develops. This is one satisfying brew!

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Dark black/red a black cherry like color with lighter red at the edges. 2 finger tan head.
Sweet malty aroma from all the malt. Brown sugar and caramel. Just a touch smoky.
Strongly flavored of malt, alcohol, and coffee, raisin.
Sweet syrupy full feel. Drinkability is good, not something I'd traditionally call a session beer, but I could spend an hour drinking one,

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

had this on tap at DELANEY'S tap room in new haven ct and it was great i have had this many times before but never on tap. less carbonated than the bottle but just as rich, malty and flavorful with a smooth mallow finish that made me have a second one

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Appears black as night, but when held to light, it reveals that it is really extremely dark brown. Smells of roasted malts, caramel, and a little coffee and citrus. Tastes very close to a stout, only with a thinner body. A flavor of coffee lingers when you are done with this beer. A very good beer, but not the best I have had.

3.81/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was super-psyched to see this on tap when I walked into the bar. As can be expected, expectation is the mother of all disappointments. While it was still very good, I definitely liked it better out of the bottle. Drafts alway have that certain intangible that bottled beers can't replicate, but it wasn't enough in this case. It just didn't wow me like the bottled version did. The beer still had a nice malty flavor, but there was an absent nuttiness. I would get this over most of the other beers at any bar; I just wish I could go back and not expect the world from it.

2.78/5  rDev -35.8%

Pours a beautiful deep dark brown with a nice big everlasting tan head. So very sweet to the tongue. So very malty, but where's the hop balance? Creamy, but too thin to be as smooth as I'd expected. Too sweet of abeer for me; certainly not the best doppelbock I've had. Hype!

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a huge head that resembles a yeasty bread dough. Ready to "punch down" it's so fill of air and bubbles. The aroma of malt is as heavy as you will find in a bier.

This bier epitomizes a Dopplebock. The malt flavor is strong but not too sticky. Not as syrupy as some. Smooth in it's own way.

Chewy and delicious.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh, man! Truly deserving of it's top rating, IMHO.

It poured a dark maroon, almost black, with a huge fluffy tan head. Aromas were malt and caramel. Tastes were malt, caramel, raisin, currant, alcohol, and mild grapefruit. Very creamy mouthfeel, I've had stouts that would kill to be this smooth and creamy. It finished smooth and dry, with a mild grapefruit tang.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Outstanding doppelbock from Ayinger.

Poured nicely, viscous and with a creamy, brownish head. Body was nearly opaque. This lager smelled terrific, with a multi-grain sweet influence, as well as smokey. I detect a hop presence in the nose, but it really is overshadowed by the complexity of the malts.

Initial taste was clean, but with a darn good malty, sweet taste (but not artificially sugary). It also finished clean, as a typical Bavarian brew, but with residual sugars that like to stick to the back of the tongue, and the roof of the palate. Mmmm!

This is THE beer to drink when the weather's cold and damp, when summer looks far, far away, but there's a log on the fire, a good book in the other hand, and you're gratetful for being alive! Prost!

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

330 ml bottle, “6,7 % abv” let sit for 10 min to bring to around 45(ish) F. Some scoring of the bottom edge of the label. Don’t know if this is some sort of coded date or what. Poured into a oversized pils bubble glass.

Ayinger has become my favorite German producer that has a wide variety of styles, that I can find in these parts. So after a year or more of loveing up the Ur-Weisse, Dunkel & Kellerbier, it seems odd that I am just now getting around to trying there number one reviewed selection & one that I seem to have known by reputation for years at that.

Shows up as a dark roasted amber color, with shades of rose & deep maple tones. Healthy pillowed foamy head settles in. Certainly strikes a serious & stately appearance.

The abv & rich malt are very apparent in the nose up front. Sweet peppery wood & beef hints develop nicely as things move along.

Malt happiness fills the pallet at once. Mega luscious autumn squash, caramelized nut, earthy warmth all over the tongue. Slides into an equally balanced & rich hop bitter further on. Ends with perhaps just a bit of a sour tang, though if someone were to call this ‘skunky’ I might have to um… have some ‘words’ with the fellow.

Mouth feel is crisp & lively, keeping the flavor & aroma moving around on the pallet nicely. Slight hanging taste but nothing that another sip wont take care of. I could probably keep drinking this as far into the evening as I could afford.

The head dosn't stick around as long as I would like, & the abv is a lingering presence (7% me arse) but all in all, I would have to say the best double bock I have ever had. I don’t know if it will consistently be worth the $15/6 reputation its got around the tragically few shops that carry this jewel of a brew, but it is truly a lovely encounter.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

In a Fin Du Monde tulip. It's very dark brown with a huge frothy tan head, slowly, but steadily diminishing though. Aroma is not as intense as I thought, but definitely complex and appealing with its chocolate and numerous fruits notes. Now that's malty. This beer is as complex as any other beer. Period. Rich roasty black chocolate, some caramel, lots of plum esters, blue grapes, cherries, pecans, coffee, yum yum, butter notes as well as robust earthiness every couple of sips (sometimes, the malt reminded me of Rogue Hazelnut Brown nectar). The palate is as good as it gets, thick, full, round, velvety. Long aftertaste once it warmed a bit that varies from a sip to the other, once it will be the dark chocolate, the other time it will be the roastiness and next time you'll remember those juicy plums, subtly bitter at times. In my eyes, it's fully worthy of these high ratings. That's precisely the type of beers I adore, a big malty phenomenon with a body to back it up. Only critic I'd adress it is the palate fatigue (or I just want the moment to last forever) I get after just one bottle, maybe the sweetness is too much although I never found it stickingly cloying, I wouldn't have two in a row, hell I'd never deserve two i a row! Glad I've got another one of this rare treat. Thanks to both Erics!

3.6/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Deep, dark brown with ruby highlights, capped by a massive, light brown, lumpy head that recedes relatively quickly to a thin, covering film. Not much in the way of lace. The aroma is predominantly of coffee and dark dried fruits (raisins, prunes and dates). It isn't as complex as expected, but is appetizing nonetheless.

The flavor is malty sweet, with molasses and coffee at the head of the line. Some alcohol is evident; surprising since the ABV is only 6.7%. I noted a slight metallic taste with the first few sips, but it faded soon thereafter.

The mouthfeel isn't bad, but isn't all that wonderful either. I was expecting more smooth creaminess, but didn't get it. Drinkability is good.

Celebrator is my first doppelbock so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Given the high ratings, I expected to like it more than I did. Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer, but it didn't come close to knocking my socks off. I do like the little goat charm though. Nice touch.

Celebrator...I've waited a long time to try my first doppelbock, and I might as well start with the best...

Poured a dark, dark, DARK chestnut, with ruby tones reflecting light. A strong two-finger head quickly died down to a thin layer of foam. First deep breath revealed a touch of caramel and some spices. Taste was rich and malty, with the same caramel and a nice complexity of spices as well as a roasted edge that's so palpable its almost chewy. Definitely strong on the caramel, though.

This felt a lot lighter and easier to drink than its flavor and complexion would have you believe. I usually don't like brews this soft and malty, but this is good--no wonder it's legendary. Still, and I hate to say it, but to me this is a very good but not great beer--but that's more to do with personal preference than the quality of Celebrator, which I can definitely appreciate even if it isn't my style. My tastes wouldn't stop me from recommending this to anyone, especially if you like stuff along these lines (that means you, Joj and Erti).