Join our email list →

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany | website

Doppelbock | 6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,336 | Hads: 6,136
4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Very dark brown with only the slightest hint of ruby hue when held to light. Nice brown head that held up for a bit and continuted to produce nice lacing all the way to the end.

S: Caramel, molasses, and a slight raisiny note. Maybe some date-style aroma in there as well. Outstanding.

T: The very best. Malty, caramel, molasses, sweetness balanced out with an unnoticeable hop prescence. Completely balanced.

M: Perfection with the carbonation. Slick feel to it. Very easy to drink.

D: The definition of a dopplebock. My favorite style of all time and I would arugue is possibly the best dopplebock in the world.

Poured into my favorite tasting snifter (how's that for pretentious). This is one that I really have to control myself with so I can enjoy every drop!

Very opaque with frothy head that never quits.

Smells malty, a great attribute for a beer of this genre'.

Tastes malt, molasses, some hop and very light alcohol. Fills your mouth with flavor.

Feels almost perfect. Smooth, creamy and coats the tounge perfectly.

One of my favorite beers to date! I have had a lot of beers in my years and I always look forward to my next Celebrator. VERY drinkable but a shame to drink quickly.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

It's a classic. I love the little goat. I should save them up and make a bock necklace.

Actually a little low on the ABV side, from what we're used to in modern takes on doppelbocks. Might actually be the lowest ABV doppelbock I've ever drank. Delicious and malty, though. It's between this and salvator for me.

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

L: Very dark brown, though not as black as a porter or stout. Also slightly see-through, with a ruby red color that gleams in the light. Nice frothy head that was tamed down during the drink.
S: Bready and sweet. Light hints of chocolate, bigger notes of fruits such as raisins, figs, and plums. Maybe a little molasses.
T: Similar to the smell, very sweet, molasses, raisins, figs and plums really coming to mind. LIttle to no hoppiness really. A slight toasty malt flavor not all that different from a great German pilsener on the finish.
F: Damn smooth. Like a silk dress on a pretty woman smooth, no joke. Mouthfeel is just great.
O: Have had this beer many times, but after trying many more throughout my time I thought it was wise to come back and experience/rate what I consider to be the pinnacle of this style. All subjectivity aside, this really is a great beer that exists at a happy medium between the great flavor of a porter but with the smooth drinkability of a lager. However it does not comprimise on flavor.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

Tried this for the first time tonight after eyeing this beer for months. The store around the corner from me has this stocked all the time, and I have always been curious about this beer. After seeing it in the BA top 50, I thought it was high time to try this beer.

Poured a dark hazelnut brown with a nice two-fingered pillowed head. This head was extraordinary, but soon dissapated, leaving traces along the glass as I drank.

The smell ofthis beer is very strong to me, and the initial taste provided some fruit, licorice, and nutty flavors, with a bite, followed by a strong alcohol aftertaste. This beer got more mellow as I drank it. This is a big beer. I have only had one or two dopplebocks in the last few years, so I really don't know how to intelligently review this. Every review I have read has stated that this is a good beer, and I would agree. A great beer with lots of flavor, though I would be hard pressed to drink more than a few in a sitting.

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

A complex flavor which is not so complex as to compromise the enjoyment of the brew. Mouthfeel is somewhat thick and the smell is exceptional. The appearance is fantastic and makes me want to dive in. Relatively inexpensive to other top 20 brews, this one is highly recommended.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

One of the greatest beers out there, simply put.

I've had this out of the bottle, poured into pint glasses, but by far my favorite is poured into a heavy chalice or goblet.

The beer pours a gorgeous reddish brown, with a heavy 2 finger head, that dies down, leaving a nice lace around the glass.

Scent brings out floral hop notes, along with a citrusy hint.

Taste is heavy in those notes, along with a sharp alcoholic cut that slices through the flavor, but doesn't leave a burn. When you're finished, you want more, but the beer doesn't allow you to drink too much due to it's heavy notes and overpowering mouthful. An all around classy beer, and definitely a favorite that is always stocked in my fridge. Cheers!

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a dark brown bottle (11.2 oz. I believe?) into a tall tulip glass. The label is great, gotta love the little plastic ram.

A: Pours a clean dark brown, almost opaque, with glimmers of ruby shining through when held to the light. Very clean, this is obviously a high quality brew. Poured vigorously, it will give up a nice beige head, but it didn't stick around for long.

S: Honestly, I didn't get much of an aroma from this one. There is a faint toasted bread smell coupled with that of roasted malt, but it's all very light.

T: The taste is everything I picked up from the aroma, simply magnified. At the front, I get sweet bread and cinnamon at the front, followed by a roasted malty flavor that reminds me of a good stout. The long finish has a coffee bitterness to it.

M: This is a very full-bodied beer, but it goes down really smoothly. The thick, oily texture goes well with slight prickles from the moderate carbonation, and the flavors are able to stick to the taste buds for quite some time. The ABV is on the low end of the range for this style, so there's not much of a warming sensation.

D: This is a very impressive example of a dopplebock. Rich and full-bodied, this beer has everything I could want on a cold or rainy day. Still, I think it's drinkable enough to suit any palate (even those who are turned off by "dark beers"). A supreme standard of quality shows through in the appearance, taste, and finish of this beer.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Pours a dark black color with a nice frothy tan head on top. Smells of caramel, coffee, molasses and cocoa. Nice smooth creamy mouthfeel with low carbonation, some hop bitterness, coffee, dark roasted malts, bread, cocoa. This beer is very good.. and it comes with a plastic little goat thing on the bottle.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Okay, finally time to review Celebrator. It pours just a shade off black with a fluffy tan head. A really dark doppelbock. The scent is really heavenly, with strong notes of toffee and burnt caramel.

The flavor profile is almost identical to the scent. Smooth toffee flavor with caramel as well. Roasted chewy malt upfront and Ripe green apples in the undertones. Ever so slight bitterness in the finish balances out the sweet toffee flavors. A superbly balanced beer, and quite complex as well.

I'm probably in the overwhelming minority on this, but if confronted with the choice, I'd take Paulaner's Salvator Doppelbock over the Celebrator. Nevertheless, Celebrator is clearly one of the finer beers made. It's wonderfully crafted and a must try for anyone that enjoys quality beer.

3.54/5  rDev -18.2%

Once upon a time, this would be considered the yardstick against which doppelbocks were to be measured. However, having recently had a Smuttynose S'muttonator, I must say that I was disappointed in having this, despite its advantage of being on draft, versus the Smutty in the bottle. Altogether, what I would expect of a doublebock, albeit less than the Smutty. A great beer, but I want more...

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

WOW....this was really good!
It poured a VERY dark red with a little tan head and very little carbonation. The smell is what I liked best because of the caramel & chocolate, smelled like the worlds best desert.
Taste was sweet (but not to sweet) and creamy with a hint of malt and I guess what would be a medium body
I really like this beer and plan on buying it again.(Happy Rookie)
I paid $8.99 for 4 bottles..

2.86/5  rDev -33.9%

It's a pretty decent looking, very dark brown doppelbock, with a good centimeter of creamy head when poured from the bottle, but it dissipates to about half that over a couple minutes. Lacing is pretty good, almost leaving thin sheets of foam down the side. The nose isn't particularly special, just malt and hops, no discernable alcohol aroma. The flavor isn't anything special either. It's pretty much what you'd expect from the nose. Malt, hops, bread. The mouthfeel is nice, thicker than many beers without being syrupy. The glowing reviews surprise me as I've found this to be a rather average beer. There are other doppelbocks that are considerably better than this one.

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into Pilsener glass.

A - Deep ruby red body, average sized tan head. Bubbles shoot from the bottom into the abyss of the glass one by one.

S - Powerful gust of malts. Aged berries blanket a fruity hop character. Yeast is there.

T - Aroma and taste are different, but compliment eachother so nicely. Taste consists of rich dark malts, again darker fruits dominate the hop character. Slight chocolate with a hint of caramel highlights, finished with a bittersweet backbone.

M - Creamy, smooth, carbonated.

D - Aging 2 and using the other to marinade a steak but is extremely drinkable. Smooth and rewarding.

Remarkable brew with a substantial dosage of flavor. Very important for any lover of this style to pick this up for a try.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Cola-colored liquid with off-white head. Head rose high than quick fizzled down to a thin layer over the beer. Not part of the beer, but an added nod for the cute goat ornament adorning every bottle.

Smell: Sweet malty aroma, hint of raisin or cherry. Refreshing hop notes as well.

Taste: Lightly toasted malt flavor, subtle raisin sweetness, and a closing bit of hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, enjoyable brew. Barely noticeable aftertaste; somewhat of a malt/hop wrestling match going on with maltiness winning out in the end.

Drinkability: As drinkable as water but much more delicious. Low ABV for a Doppelbock and surprisingly complex palate. Available in 4-packs of 330ml but at a price where four Weihenstephan Korbinian 16.9oz singles are actually cheaper. A tough choice to make.

Prolly best doppel i have had to date, but doppels are in my bottom third of fav styles. Everything on this beer is decent, nice look, okay smell, alright taste. This beer is above average for its style. A good doppel, use this beer to compare to others as well.
A-

A: Deep mahogany with a perfect two-finger tan head. Mouth-wateringly good-looking.

S: The sweet bread-like maltiness as well as caramel really permeate the air, and the hoppy spice is immediately noticeable, too. It's heavenly.

T: Fan. Tastic. Rich, complex malty taste of yeast and caramel, with a molasses-like sweetness. It's the kind of taste that never, ever gets old or boring.

M: It flows so smoothly over the tastebuds with reckless abandon. The carbonation is pretty muted, which is wonderful for my tastes.

D: Any time of the day or night, it's wonderful. I don't think I could ever tire of it. The taste and aftertaste is enough goodness to make a grown beer enthusiast cry.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into glass dark brown with just a glow around the edges. Off white head that quickly dissapated. No hop smell only malts and baked fruit. Nice and malty flavor with the alcohol vapors warming the sinuses. Mellow bitterness that does not linger. Slightly carbonated to make the initial pull light but soon you get the feeling that this beer could fill you up.
Loved the beer for the price.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Very dark mahogany, with 1-inch mocha head that persisted well. Beautiful lacing for a dark beer.

Clean, fruity aroma, a hint of malt.

Very subtle mix of roasted coffee, cocao, chicory.

Mouth feel had carbonation at the front of the tongue. Satisfyingly substantial for such a subtle-tasting brew. A pleasant alcoholic nip at the back of the throat.

I'm glad I encountered this classic double bock, and look forward to drinking it many more times in the future.

Glassware: Mug

Appearance: Opaque, like a dark roast coffee, with a thick, tan head.

Smell: bread-ish with a strong and sweet molasses smell, also some aromas reminiscient of dark cherry. Some spicy notes in the background.

Taste: Opens with roasted flavors; then, a very balanced middle...bitterness equaled by the molasses/roasted malt taste. Ends dry with a dark chocolate and (as it warms) coffee taste. Mellow throughout but interesting and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Mine had pretty low carbonation; medium-bodied with a slick feel.

Overall: Solid brew...No faults. Not a big or intense beer, it was more mellow than I was expecting, but I enjoyed it and will certainly have again.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Opaque brown. Slight tints of reddish brown. Nice beige head.

S - Malt balls. Bread. Raisins.

T - Grainy bread. Malt. Dates. Slight toffee sweetness. Mild bitterness.

M - Medium bodied. Sweet.

O - What a dank beer! Super smooth and easy to drink. Yet it has all of the big malty flavors and bready sweetness. Will definitely be drinking again.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Can you say molasses?

Had this beer while sampling several bocks. Of all of the bocks we tried, this was my favorite.

I tend to stay away from sweeter beers and bocks typically have that sweetness. This had a wonderfully bittersweet molasses aroma and flavor.

Respectable appearance-much darker than most bocks.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle (4-pack)

A: deep reddish brown, poured into a pint glass, had about 1-2 cm head, only slight lacing

S: strong on the fruity/raisin-like notes

T: Exceedingly smooth, slight hint of bitterness to complement the overarching fruity maltiness notes in the beer

M: slight carbonation

O: Could drink this all day, so, so smooth, exceptional doppelbock, although I am a doppelbock fan

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

I love the bottle with the goats. I can't wait until I put up my little beer christmas tree so I can hang the goats on it. Anyway back to the beer. The color is a dark ruby color and the head came out with a nice thickness that went away and the lacing is very sparce to almost none. The smell is very malty with a hint of toffee. The taste has lots of malt with hints of toffee, figs, chocolate and probably several other things. The mouthfeel is nice as the malt seems to stick to your tounge and leaves a very pleasant aftertaste. I really enjoy this beer and I could enjoy lots of it if I had it.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

After gentle decanting into my glass, the head continues to grow. It's tan and dense. It slowly shrinks leaving some lacing. The beer itself is a dark ruby-cola color.

The smell during the pour is chocolate, sweet malt, and alcohol. The taste bears that out. It has dried fruit (although not really fruity), prune, and other sweetness. It's balanced off by the roasty chocolate and coffee flavors. There could be a slight acidic edge. Amazing. Little hop aroma or bitterness. Some hop flavor. Bitterness arises from the roasted malt.

The mouthfeel... it's full. Almost sticky, but not. It feels your mouth but keeps you wanting more. After my first, I easily could keep drinking. It doesn't go down super fast, but it's still really, really nice. Great beer.