Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,837 | Reviews: 2,312
4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

Very dark brown (almost blood red when held up to the light). Nice 1-finger light brown head that meanders atop the brew before slightly dissipating into a nice lace that embraces the rim of the glass.

The smell, right off the bat is huge whiffs of fruit smack you pleasantly in the face. Hints of cherries and raisins? Some dark spiced fruits perhaps?

The taste is malt all the way. Very earthy and herbal flavors. Decent levels of bitterness to complement the malts. Malts come off as slightly doughy/nutty as well.

Mouthfeel is pleasant. Medium (approaching thick) bodied with mild (but good) levels of carbonation on the palate.

This is THE Dopplebock to drink. Easy to find (at least in my experience) and a complete joy to drink. Do not pass it up if you see, doing so and you'll miss out on one of the finest beers in existence.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance - Dark cascading looks with medium sized bubbles.

Smell - Sweet malt smell with hints of alcohol.

Taste - Slight smoky wood flavor with slight sweetness towards the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with smooth texture.

Overall, flavorful and drinkable. Very enjoyable.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer poured very dark with no head into a snifter. (I was able to raise a frothy tan head on the second glass - but it didn't linger) It gave chocolate, oats, coffee, and malt aromatics and went down silkily smooth.

This beer has a low carbonation and high drinkability. Once in your mouth, earthy and bitter tastes come forward and move into the aftertaste - with a bite of alcohol at the end.

I am new to the Doppelbock style, so I cannot compare it to its kindred. As a stand-alone example, I was very pleased.

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

WOW! I can't believe I have never had one of these before

11.2oz brown bottle. poured a deeep brown with copper hues to it. nice fluffy 2 finger cream head with a tint of brown, that simmered down to a wispy lace.

smell is so inviting. sweet malts, roasted malts, a touch of hops, caramel notes to it as well.

taste: Wow. deeelicious. kinda toasty tasting (if i can say that) a bit of bread flavor also. i almost taste some fruits, like dates or figs. just really good

very smooth. feels almost chewy. light carbonation.

This is one (sorry ahead of time for cursing) f*cking delicious beer. I wish I could buy a case of this stuff. I have been mainly into craft beers. Im starting to get into dopples after having an aventinus and now this. WoW. Schroeder's here I come!!

Cheers

4.6/5  rDev +6%

Beer is in a simple yet elegant bottle. Label has 2 rams on it for a classic touch. The beer pours to almost black with just a touch of red in it. There are nearly 3 fingers of head that slowly goes back to a thin layer. There is no lace left on the side of the glass. The aroma is very complex with the malt hitting the nose the hardest with a emphasis on a sweetness. This beer is one of the best tasting doppelbocks that I have ever tried. The taste is very malty and sweet, with the fruits coming though in abundance. This is a full bodied beer. This is one of the best doppelbocks that I have ever had.

in the low light the beer appeared straight black, with a minimal head, but good, brownish, clingy lace.

brown sugar and caramel in the nose, with some faint chocolate notes, and bafflingly, a hint of old, dusty books(!).

moderately thick mouthfeel. not too thick, not too thin. any thicker and the brew would be far less drinkable.

initial flavors of clean malt, sugary and syrupy, followed by molasses and caro syrup, and ending with a faint burnt sugar in the background. no real hop presence to speak of.

i prefer balanced beers, but doppelbocks aren't supposed to be balanced, and the heavy malt flavors were appropriate for the style. that said, i don't anticipate going back for another anytime soon. lagers can sometimes be a bit too linear for me; i prefer the layered complexity of ales. but this is not a suggestion that the celebrator is of inferior quality; it's just my subjective preferences coming through. the beer is highly drinkable ... if you're only having one. any more than that and i suspect the malt would become far too cloying.

s.d.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

It poured out a dark, almost chocolate, brown. The tan colored head diminished quickly but left a nice trace throughout the duration.

Overall, a pleasant aroma that has a nice malt scent to it. A second whiff reveals a scent similar to coffee.

The first sip was dominated by the delicious malt flavor. It has an almost chocolate-like taste, with a hint of caramel and molasses. With only a very moderate carbonation, it goes gown extremely smooth and has a dry creamy finish to it. Without a doubt, this is the best doppelbock that I have had.

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is a nice bottle that I like to keep a couple of in my cabinet at all times. Celebrator by Ayinger is made by the best brewery in the world; Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer in Aying, Germany makes the worlds best beer, Ayinger Brau Weisse. Oh lord, thank you for Ayinger Brau Weisse. What a perfect drink. I drink more IPA's than anything, so Ayinger isn't my daily drinker. Anyhow...I'm a lover of the hops, but all in all, Ayinger gets it done right...all the time!

Celebrator pours nice and chocolaty. It's nice and dark with some roasted malt, but a nice smooth and dry finish. This isn't dry dry, but just a tad dry. I'd, maybe surprisingly, compare the mouth feel to Chimay Grande which is a bit dry, but nice and full. Mmmm...the light roast blends so nicely with the complex fruits of this Bock. Thinking about it more, it's a bit lighter in mouth feel as compared to Chimay, but more malt and roastiness. Note: Yes, Chimay Grande and Celebrator are two very different types of beers, but for some reason I like to mention the best characteristics of the best beers for that particular characteristic even if they aren't similar beers. I guess this points out my preferred characteristics too eh;)

Well...I don't know what to say more. I can definitely taste the "Ayinger" in this one. Mmmmm good! A really nice brown sugar spiced up with a nice, flowery but every so slightly there hop. Mmmm mmm. You can tell how much I'm enjoying a drink by how many times I type "mmm." This bottle is too darn small. MMM!

This is my first dopplebock, so I'm not really familiar with the style.

On first taste, the intense malt flavor shines through, which I really liked. There is a bitterness in the fade that reminds me of toasted caramel. This one sort of reminds me of a semi-stout; and I'm not too fond of that style, as I think they are too bitter. Being my first dopplebock, I can't tell if this (bitterness) is indicative of the style or not.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome bready smell from a two finger pour. Slight roasty smell in the head and more of the breadiness comes through as the head dissipates. Deep, deep ruby brown color with an off white head.

Its hard to say if the goats mounting the beer on the label add or detract from the experience, but after the first sip the goats were determined to be irrelevant. The roast, the mild hops, the toasted bread notes, all are incredibly well balance and work in unison to create a truly unique and ideal doppelbock experience.

This is the best german beer i've had period. I plan on buying a few 4 packs of this because i am seriously impressed. Great drinkablity and at 6.7 abv one should check himself before he wrecks himself on this bock.

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

Wow, what a great, complicated beer. Great with food and on its own. Took me some time to appreciate these... my girlfriend thought it just reeked of molasses.

Poured into a pilsener glass. About 50 degrees. Shows a dark, dark brown with ruby highlights. Much bubbling along the sides of the glass. It was hard to form the little tan head which soon faded, but left lacing for about half the glass.

Smells slightly of coffee and cocoa, but there's definitely a good deal of molasses, pumpernickle and cinnamon bread. Perhaps a hint of black currants, but I didn't detect a whole lot of fruits. A slight bite that's hard to characterize. I wouldn't call it citrusy or grassy or astringent, but maybe a bit of acridity.

Taste is about more of the same, but after the sweet, bready bite I detect a sweet strawberry/cherry center. The sweetness fades into a bit of dryness, but mostly an earthy aftertaste. Mushrooms or St. Nectare cheese I recently had in Paris.

Medium mouthfeel, slightly weak going down, and definitely weak if you drink it too cold. Surely has a lot more gravity than most lagers i'm familiar with! Coats the mouth... aftertaste lingers.

Worth the 15$ I paid for the 4 pack (including tax). Great with pork & an apple / cranberry sauce & buttered red potatoes.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

i have been really getting into german beers the last couple of months. oktoberfest was fantastic and really opened me up to some fantastic german beers and styles. tonight i tried ayinger's celebrator doppelbock after reading the hype on BA. so here is my take on this beer:

Appearance- light tan head, lasting only seconds. dark brown in color almost black.

Smell- sweet and malty. hints of chocolate and coffee.

Taste- malt is the story here with a hint of coffee/caramel flavor. really hits the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel- medium body, light carbonation.

Drinkability- this beer is not overwhelming which leads to easy drinking, i have not had many double bocks in the past but i did enjoy this one very much and would be open to trying more in the future. the price tag will probably stop me from getting this often but it was definitely worth the try. plus it came with a cool ram ornament. go germany.

cheers.

4.19/5  rDev -3.5%

I am new to Doppelbock, and the $12 4-pack was a little steep, but I assumed it was good, because the other Ayinger I have tried were. That being said:

Appearence: I opened the bottle and foam shot out over the top. Roudh car ride maybe? Poured into a pint glass, it had a large head that I let settle in the fridge. It was dark but when I held it up to the light it appeared to have a reddish hue to it.

Smell: Was great! I love malt and this beer screamed extra malt.

Taste: Good, I found the alcohol to be a little intrusive, maybe overshadowing the malt that I love. I am new to this style, and while I like it, this didn't really impress me, as in I wouldn't pay the $12 bucks for a 4-pack.

Mouthfeel: Was sharp to the tongue but not sure if it was acidic or carbonation.

Drinkability: I wouldn't make this a session beer, but not bad with a light dinner, maybe chicken or a salad. I am guessing that this is a good example of the style but maybe not the best.
cheers guys!

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- : Dark, intense rubyr, a nice thick tan head stays with the beer throughout

S -l: caramel. Slight alcohol, light hoppy, malted notes

T - : hop bitterness, mild alcohol. good finish.

M -: smooth, ceramy okay carbonation refreshing

D -: "This is the mother of all Doppelbocks " - Jason.
I had to quote him. I started slowly sipping this one to savor it but I kept wanting more with each sip. And before I knew it my beer was gone. After finished it I wanted another one immediately

4.08/5  rDev -6%

A deep and robust reddish brown beer with a head the color of creamy coffee. Simply gorgeous and highly notable.

Rich velvety aroma. Black licorice I want to say. There is something to it I can't quite describe, can't quite make out but it is distinct, festive (smells a bit like the holidays, and maybe not unlike Bechorovka Czech liqueur). Spiced fragrance, potpurri, perhaps even a tad medicinal. Nutty, spiced, raisins, sherry, cream. Decadent and diverse.

More of the same. Some honey sweetness in the flavour profile notably absent from the nosing. Ends with a good degree of spice and fragrant twang with a bit of saltiness as well. I almost want to say a bit like jagermeister. Highly distinct this beer, with regards to any style I've ever had.

A nice, smooth, medium-bodied beer. There is a sheen to this beer, it has a unique texture to fit its nose and flavour palate. It has a lingering hold on the tongue, and on the mouth. Impressive. All in all an extremely good beer but I think the taste is lacking a bit in balance and complexity. In my opinion not all it's cracked up to be though nothing to scoff at, quite the opposite actually.

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle gifted to me from MVOtter.

A- First off, you can't help notice the little white trincket hanging from the bottle. The beer itself was a beautiful medium- dark brown with a head that lasted forever.

S- I love that malt smell!! Molasses and sweet caramel.

T- WOW!!! First time tasting and I love bock. Best one ever. Molasses, sweet, little hop, not to strong. Delicious.

M- Not very carbonated. Maybe, I drank it too cold? Rich, creamy, and smooth.

D- I could have drank 12 and gone to heaven. However, 2 or 3 are all you should have at a sitting due to the medium alch. content.

Fantastic beer!

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

The color is close to black, with red highlights. A thick light-brown head forms and descends moderately slowly to a smattering of bubbles, which eventually disappear.

There is a rich smell of fresh bread, with alcohol lurking beneath. I can imagine lots of other smells within, raisins, licorice, black pepper - but mostly bread.

The beer has a fine, heavy malt flavor. The alcohol hides here, behind rich dark malts. There is some sweetness and a little bit of bitterness. There is a little caramel, and a smoky flavor and texture - very smooth. The finish is sticky, bitter and sour - satisfying - it brings back the subtle complexities noticed in the aroma.

Overall I find this beer very enjoyable - drinkable indeed, but also meaty. It is smooth and comfortable, with a very nice aroma and a rich body.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Like a substantial winter warmer and very drinkable; lovely beer.

11.2 oz bottle; blood brown - almost ruby; 2-3 finger creamy brown head. Aroma of spice, molasses, caramel, burnt sugar, malt notes, licorice, coffee liqueur. Flavors of licorice, alcohol, spices, coffee, caramel, root, earth, toffee, malt. Yummy. Oat & wheat flavor on the backside. Silky carbonation coats the palate, very pleasant throughout.

Line a few up and I will enjoy every drop.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

A- Deep rich dark roasted coffee look with plenty of rich tan head that fills the top of the glass and sticks around for quite a bit.

S- Malty with a hop back round. Well balanced aroma.

T- nutty malt with a good balance of hops to even out the sweetness. Good coffee notes and just a hint of chocolate.

M- Smooth with a bit less carbonation then an ale but more then a stout. No heat on this one at all even though it is 6.7 abv.

D- Great beer if you can find it in your local shop. If not head for Munich!

Wavz

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

Classic doppelbock, deep ruby red in color with a tall creamy head that dissipates into a ring of bubbles. The aroma is intoxicating with very dark fruits such as raisin, plum, and cherry there is also some roastyness and faint earthy hops. The flavor contains roasty malt sweetness with dark fruits balanced with some mild earthy hop flavor. The mouthfeel is creamy with low carbonation. There is a mild fruity aftertaste but not unpleasant. A very drinkable beer and a classic altogether.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

bottle from 4 pack with the little plastic icon

poured into sam adams' new pint glass

A- Dark brown, nearly black with red/auburn hues in light. Half finger of head recedes quickly to minimal head retention, with creamy brown color.

S- Molasses, maltose/malt sugars, dried fruit (persimmon?) Upon exhaling, alcohol leaves nasal passages with a slight burn reminiscient of hot spices/chiles.

T- Malt sweetness is immediate, almost too sweet at first but is balanced by hop bitterness in the finish that is just enough. Scorched caramel, coffee, slighty bready flavors take a backup role but are present. Well balanced.

M- ridiculously smooth- silken on the tongue, carbonation hits quickly, but becomes mild as it finishes quickly and lifts away the malt sweetness, preventing it from being overpowering.

D- overall, I grew to like this beer more and more as I drank it (and I have issues with maltose/molasses flavors). I don't know if I could drink more than one at a sitting- I feel it needs food cause the abv seems to sneak up on you due to its insane smoothness going down, perhaps a meal of sausages or game with german black bread. Definitely something to warm you during the cold winter, goes great with a hearty stick-to-your ribs meal (heavy bean stews- had it with Publick House's cassoulet before).

2.82/5  rDev -35%

Cool bottle with a white plastic goat hanging off of it. Poured into my snifter.

It pours a thick-looking reddish-brown (maroon?) and it had a big tan head on it. It looks pretty damn appetizing - if dense and brown are appetizing to you.

The smell was the first cause for let down. I got almost nothing from taking a few whiffs of this one. Some bread and very toasty malts. And... that's pretty much it. It smells like a beer but there is no spiciness and it doesn't smell as dark as it appears to be.

The taste is better with some big time malts and flavorful sugary fruit essence mixed in for good measure. Not much in the way of hop bitterness to balance it out, I thought. Slight chocolate undertone... I'll try this again someday to try and pick out the intricacies. Not very robust... Still, a nice tasting dopplebock.

There is medium carbonation and a medium body. A little sweet stickiness/creaminess.

I didn't want want another one after this. It feels thick in one's stomach and although this is a creamy beer, I did not cream myself over it. I'll have to try it again sometime though just to see what all the fuss is about.

4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance: This beer was served in a 10-ounce Chalice. The color is a deep yet translucent mahogany with a beautiful tan head.

Smell: Essence of molasses pervades this brew. Balanced against the refined fragrance of molasses is that of spicy phenol, sweet caramel, and a toasted malt character.

Taste: Beautiful and complex. The first property that takes ahold and hangs on for the entire ride is that of malt and molasses. Subtly, the essence of fig augments the flavor. Piercingly, hops enter to contrast the sweet foundation and create dissonance in this otherwise harmonious symphony of flavor. During the recapitulation, an essence of alcohol and grain are present to usher this dark nectar to an unceasing end.

Mouth-feel: Unable to break the grips of its captor (rich, full bodied, thick malt), the carbonation, fully infused, makes this beer smooth.

Drinkability: A nectar seemingly not meant for mortal palates. Divinely inspired!? The Germans can be thanked for making this brew available and thusly determining my only sustenance till the day I die.

Served on tap from Kilted Mermaid of Vero Beach, FL for a price of $5

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. There is no freshness date on the bottle, but that doesn't matter because this is one of the coolest bottles I've ever seen. The old-world style label, the dominant use of white for a clean look, and the nifty little goat charm make this beers packaging a winner. Appearance is based on the look of the beer in a glass, however, so let's get to it. This beer pours a dark, cola brown color with ruby red highlights and is a shade or two darker than the Thomas Creek Deep Water Doppelbock I had earlier today. A fairly vigorous pour yields a soft, fluffy, two-fingered head that is a lovely medium brown color, perhaps a few shades darker than a pair of khaki pants. The head gradually fades to a light film covering the surface of the beer, and it leaves a small amount of Belgian lace behind on the sides of the glass.

Smell: The nose of this beer has an absolute mountain of very sweet malt in it; the kind of extra sweet smell that a Scotch Ale has. There are also hints of caramel, dark fruit, and perhaps a bit of chocolate, but the sweet malt is so overpowering that it's hard to pick these up. There are no roasted malt aromas, no hop aroma, and no alcohol presence, and this nose is spot on for a Doppelbock.

Taste: I don't have much to base my review on for how a Doppelbock is supposed to taste, only the Thomas Creek beer that I had earlier today and what the BJCP guidelines tell me. Right from the start, however, I can firmly say that this beer is much better than the Thomas Creek Deep Water Doppelbock. As in the nose this beer begins with a delicious sweet malt flavor that dominates the palate, but there are also notes of sweet milk chocolate, coffee with milk, and perhaps a bit of molasses and anise. These flavors are pretty dominant throughout, but the finish does bring a hint of smokiness, a slight leafy hop flavor, a bit of fig, and a slight drying effect to the table.

Mouthfeel: I think the best words to describe the mouthfeel of Celebrator are soft and gentle. While some beers seem rough, biting, or even like they bruise the tongue, this beer seems to roll on and off the tongue, gently caressing the cavities of the mouth. Medium-full bodied, low carbonation, and very, very smooth without even a hint of harshness or astringency.

Drinkability: All of the beers from Brauerei Aying that I've tasted have been exceptionally drinkable, and their Doppelbock is no exception. This beer is perhaps a bit too sweet for me to drink more than one of (unless I were drinking it with food, which as I type this I'm really craving some cheese or a steak to pair this with), but I'm having no trouble disposing of these twelve ounces. Would I drink this again? Easily. Would I buy this again? Oh yeah.

Notes: My first high quality Doppelbock, I was very impressed with all facets of this beer. I'm really anxious to try some more Doppelbocks after this one, mainly the Paulaner Salvator and the Victory St. Victorious. Considering the fact that these beers have a long history of being great seasonals for the spring time, I'll hopefully be picking some more up on my next trip to the store. Celebrator Doppelbock has given me a lot to celebrate about, and for that I give much thanks to the little town of Aying.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

A - Poured into a 16oz tulip. Great looking beer. Dark brown to red tint. Minimal head on this one that dissipated fairly soon.

S - Smell intensifies at it warms. Lots of malt up front with light fruit coming through. Definite Caramel notes.

T - Perhaps a tad bit of chocolate, definite caramel. Fruit follows through, moving to the front as time moves on.

M - Medium to light. Slight carbonation on the tongue.

D - About where I would expect from a 6-7%. A few beers is possible.

Great beer. Will have to go for the four pack next time!