Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,292 | Hads: 5,944
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Dark brown with a quickly dissipating head. Nearly no signs of carbonation.
S: Molasses, Coffee, caramel make this a great experience for the nose.
T: The first flavor that hit my tongue was the sweetness. This is most likely the reason why this beer is so popular. It's unique in that you don't expect that taste when drinking such a dark beer.
M: Warm, smooth coating all around. Very enjoyable!
O: I don't have a long history with bock beers, but it this is any indication of the experience, I might have found a new favorite type of beer.

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Looked okay poured into a pint glass out of the bottle. No head to speak of, but good dark reddish brown color. Smelled of dark malts and maybe some dark fruit. Tasted immediately upon pouring and got an unpleasant metallic taste, so I let it warm up.

After warmup time, I got burnt toast and grains, and a hint of brandied cherries. Very tasty. My only complaints are that as doppelbock this has to warm, and that I only had 12 oz, not a pint. Will definitely be buying again.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Distinctly German in its look and taste. It reminded me of my first Dunkel but with a little more of a kick. It pours a medium brown with little bubbles always floating to heaven. The head was a little less then I desired. It pours close to an inch of head that goes away fast. Smells of malt and maybe a hint of coffee or smoke, I could even say maybe a little fruity. Surprisingly drinkable it does not taste like a strong dark beer. The alcohol content is not noticeable. That could just be because I usually drink Belgium’s. It actually reminds me of a dark Belgium. I enjoy decorating my office at work with the little goats that come with each bottom. They have come out with a four pack for those of you who don’t feel like spending $14 on a six-pack but the price is well worth the beer. One of my favorites.

Pours a very dark body with a nice thick off-white head. The head slowly settles to a fine thin layer.

Smells nice and malty (I'm partial to the malty side of beers) and I can really smell that barley wort aroma. Sweet and fruity as well.

Nice sweet malt flavor with a slight drying finish. Certainly has that German beer taste. What is that? It leaves a smooth lingering smoothness that makes me reach for the next sip. High quality brew here.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

I finally got to tap a 30 liter keg of Celebrator and i couldnt wait to christen the barrel by enjoying the first glass. A rich deep brown when poured into my glass, decent head, tan in color. The aroma is inviting, malty and sweet, the flavor, as usual with this beer, is phenomenal. Big mouth sweet and malty with a nice roasted balance. I love this in the bottle but on tap man im obsessed with it. If it wasnt almost 7% abv i would drink it alnight avery night all winter long. This is pure malty goodness!. If you like this in the bottle seek it out on tap and you wont be dissappointed.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

I had the privilege of having this lovely brew on tap after the wonderful tour at the Ayinger brewery. It pours a luscious looking dark brown/reddish color, with a lovely head that dissipates and doesn't lace. It has smells and tastes of chocolate, coffee, toffee, molasses, roasted barley, figs, dates, and roasted nuts. It has a heavy mouthfeel which is kind of sryupy. Drinkability is pretty good, but it is kind of heavy so i wouldnt want to many of these in a session. Overall this beer is gorgeous and I will buy it again and again!

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%

There's enough inside this bottle to keep any beer drinker busy for quite some time.

Poured a deliciously rich and dark reddish brown. Head rose slowly and doesn't go anywhere until the last inch or so is left. Left a light lacing on the way down.

A lot of sugary sweet smell out of this one with some fresh baked bread on the top and a very distinct but noble hop tinge.

To the mouth the small bubbles make this one velvety and smooth to the palate while still giving it an effervescent quality.

A bit of alcohol on top but with strong notes of caramel and sugar and a nice hop bitter to kick it over the edge...you could probably taste this one over and over and get something new.

I cant imagine a better double, this one is good for all occasions and stands as a classic...I keep the ram hung on my rear view to pay homage to this great beer.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

What can I say? This is one of the best Belgium Dopplebocks, if not the best. Strong caramel and chocolate on the nose, some dark fruit and molasses bread.
Tastes very similar to the smell, full and rich of dark malt, dark fruit, molasses, and roasted grain. A wonderfully complex but drinkable beer.
Keeps smooth in the mouth with enough carbonation to keep your tongue excited for the next sip.

3.33/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ayinger Celebrator doppelbock
7.2% ABV
330 ml brown glass bottle with crown $4.00 at State Street Northampton MA
Appearance: dark dark with thin brown/tan head turns quickly to big bubbles that pop and leave a ring of lace
Smell: dried fruit, prunes and cherries
Flavor: creamy but not milkshakey, malty and just a bit fruity with a touch of bitterness but not citrusy hoppy
Overall: 3.5/5 The mildness of this is nice since most of what I've been tasting is overwhelming in one area or another.
I like how rich it is, but for me, I'd like to get a bit more of something and a touch less bitterness.
I think I'll stay away from doppelbocks for now.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Pours dark brown/black with reddish tint. Thick creamy tan head, that recedes to light cover. Nice lacing. Aroma is dark fruit, molases, toffee, chocolate and a touch of cookie dough. Flavor is malty and fruity delight. Plums, raisins, molases, bitter chocolate, a touch of hops, some roastedness comes at the end. Finish is longish and dry, with a bit of warming alcohol. Texture is smooth and creamy.Very nice.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

overall just fantastic beer, never get tired of it, especially not while there are still bottles around the house.

Real dark walnut colour nearly opaque with a great tan head that slowly dissipates leaving a decent lacing.

Aromas of molasses toasted malt and faint date scent in the background. Also quite a few doughy notes coming through.

Tastes like a combination of roasted hazelnuts molasses and some type of nut brittle all with a slightly darker tone too it. Finishes with a little bit of drying hops but not too much, definitely still a little sweet towards the finish as well as up front, but plenty of roasty balance to it.

Great smooth weighty feel to this beer, carries the intense roasted flavours very well thanks to this and goes down very very smooth.

For such an intense beer goes down very easily and carries the alcohol well.

3.81/5  rDev -12%

A: Dark, but not quite opaque. Poured with one inch of light brown foam, with nice lacing throughout.
S: Roasted malts in the nose along with some plum and maybe a hint of bread.
T: Is that nuts and some molasses I taste? I wasn't expecting that. The plum I smelled lingers in the background with some raisin as well. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the hops in this brew. Good nonetheless, but nothing particularly special.
M: Medium-full bodied. Smooth and not dry.
D: It took me a while to drink one bottle. I could not see myself having more than one in a night.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Dark, dark brown color, maybe a hint of burnt red when held to light just right, but pretty opaque. Nice tan head exits quickly.

Smell is malty molasses, but doesn't really hit ya.

Smooth taste, the molasses and fruity aftertaste come together to make something special.

This is a real treat. At 6.7% not as strong as other doppelbocks, but it for something high in drinkability.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

appearance: dark. pretty much black. with a gorgeous 1 1/2 tan head. served in a duvel tulip.

smell: sweet, coffee, hazelnut

taste: chocolate covered coffee beans, caramel, big chewy malt beast. alcohol is present and accounted for. this is the ultimate fireside winter brew. an absolute beast. this beer is athletic in its complexity and aggressiveness. delicous.

mouthfeel: not a ton of carbonation, smooth and heavy.

drinkability: one, maybe two, then im asleep.

2007: i was swirling this beer in my mouth when time slammed through 2007 on new years. screw that kissing nonsense!

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured the 12oz bottle into a nonic.

A: This pours an oily dark reddish-brown with about 1 finger of creamy off-white head which dissipates relatively quickly.

S: It smells of bready malts, coffee and chocolate.

T: Toffee tastes upfront followed by dark chocolate and a fruity sweetness. Nice and malty with not much evidence of the 6.7% ABV.

M: Mildly carbonated, oily and goes down super smooth.

O: All told this is a fantastic brew and one of the most balanced and tasty of its style.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Nice thick creamy tan head. Head retention is great. Little to no lacing. It's got that dark brown... root beer look to it. I almost thought it was black until a closer look revealed brown colors; almost a reddish/maroon center color.

S - Sweet roasted malts and molasses.

T - Can taste what I smell. A nice blend of roasted malts and raisins. The aftertaste remains of roasted malts.

M - Carbonation gives my tongue a nice little bite. It isn't heavy/thick but isn't light, and it goes down good.

D - The alcohol is covered well but the beer is almost too good to be just passing around as a session... in fact, I saved this beer and gave it to myself as a birthday treat.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

The bottle excitedly came with a little stallion trinket on a string attached to the bottle's neck. Nice. More breweries should employ this Cracker Jack a-prize-in-every-box strategy in order to lure me into buying their product.

Beautiful dark chocolate pour with little hints of purple and a tan head. I never talk about a beer's lacing cause I typically don't give a shit but Celebrator has maybe the best I have ever seen. It was hypnotic to look at. Tastes of chocolate and espresso and it's incredibly smoky, like Worcester sauce or something. Very malty of course too and no sweetness at all. Slightly more sour finish than I expected. Very warming. Incredibly drinkable too as this beer is smoother than a eunuch's crotch.

If you have not had many doppelbocks in your life I think you would find this beer very odd and perhaps undrinkable. Even having loved many doppels in my life it took me a little bit to get acclimated to this one. I'm not sure if this is a beer you completely figure out until you're halfway through the bottle. The beer is much better the warmer it is served as well, as I began drinking it at too cold of temperature.

Celebrator is pretty much the dictionary definition doppelbock. It is the most known and arguably the best as well. However, I wouldn't advise an amateur beer-drinker to try this as they'd probably be in for a bit of a surprise and not enjoy it. As for me, though I found it brilliant, it lacked a few things I would have liked to consider it a masterpiece. First of all, it's a bit dull, a bit bland. I also think it could have used a sweet component or two. I also think the alcohol content should be amped up. But then again, I always think that.

But these are minor quibbles and this an amazing beer that rightfully deserves all the accolades it receives.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

A rich dark red color with little to no head. Smells very malty with a small hoppy undertone.
A smooth carbonated crispy feel to it with a thick backing.
Very malty taste with a little bit of hoppyness behind it to begin balancing it out, but the malt still wins big time. A bit smoky and sweet with a smooth malt aftertaste.
Great to sip on and relax with, but so good I can see myself drinking it too quickly. I also really like the classic German bottle.

4.16/5  rDev -3.9%

With this beer, you get what you see, and in a good way. Unlike some, I believe this is a very simple brew. You see a dark body and get a full mouthfeel, you smell bread and malt and taste is much of the same. It pours a very deep color with a foamy tan head. The nose displays alcohol and some toasty breadiness that combines into a more toffee-ish character. Carbonation offsets the sweet malts for a good mouthfeel. The flavor offers a nice maltiness with notes of molasses and mild leafy hops. It finishes dry and does not linger long. A top class brew!

4.91/5  rDev +13.4%

L: Standard dark brown/amber hue for doppelbocks. Small but thick layer of off-white head sticks around. The way it looks very much promises the dark, rich, chewy brew to ahead of you.

S: Pumpernickel bread, toffee, prunes and raisins, wet coffee grounds

T: Toasted wheat bread, graham cracker, molasses, prunes, wet coffee grounds. Finish is like burnt sugar, dark sweetness that leads to lingering bitterness. Super elegant and complex for so much malt.

M: Light to medium carbonation, really decent chew to it. Not imperial stout chewy, but definitely full bodied for the style.

O: I think it lives up to the hype. Back of the bottle says "DARK, MALTY, AND RICH" and that's exactly what you get. But more. This is like a loaf of bread at an artisinal bakery or chocolate cake from a high end pastry shop. Maybe you can buy bread and cake at the grocery store, but it's not going to create a rich, flavorful, and cohesive landscape for your tastebuds like the others can. I found the new standard by which I will now compare all other doppelbocks to.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours dark and smooth with medium head. The smell is malty and NO hops. Taste is sweet and Carmel, molasses, sweet corn. Silky and smooth, lacy. Not my favorite beer style so while i appreciate this beer and how well made it obviously is, it's only an occasional drinker for me.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

I should start off by saying that although I had this on tap, it was not the conventional tap. While at an Ayinger brauhaus in Munich, this was available in a large wooden keg that was just tapped with a wooden faucet. Wasnt quite as carbonated as the regular tap version, but was not exactly a cask version either. It was also a tiny creamier tasting than the tap version. Other than that, it was pretty much the same.
Ok, the color was a dark ruby, almost brown, with a tannish colored thick head.
The smell was almost a woody malt scent which was very enjoyable. The aroma lasted well into the drink.
The taste was that of malt and raisin. Maybe a little berry tasting as well. Extremely well balanced.
The mouthfeel was typical of the doppelbocks but maybe a bit more mellow. Very full and inviting. It is a beer that you dont mind holding in your mouth a bit longer to get a bit more taste.
This is a very drinkable beer. Being not as strong as some of the other doppels, it doesnt give you that boozy aftertaste, nor does it have you drunk insanely fast.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Picked this up during the NEPA Beer Club April split. This was the first beer from my batch that I tried. Ayinger pours a wonderful shade of ruby red with thin, tan head. Aroma of roasted nutiness and dark fruits greet the nose. Taste is little chewy up front, but the finish is quite smooth. Some malts and raisin are noticeable in the flavor. Not a filling beer and actually quite good.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

This bottle is probably about a year old, as I purchased this 4 pack early last spring. I couldn't stand to age this much longer and had to drink this last one. There is not much I can say about this beer that hasn't already been said. It is wonderfully tasteful without being overly sweet. Its viscousness is also a bit thin compared to American versions, but I like that. One thing to note is that I remember the first couple of bottles having a slight smokey flavor, while this aged bottle had none.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Deep dark brown color with a slight hue of red when held up to the light. Nice brown head though somewhat thin.

S - Nice dark roasted aroma. Hints of coffee and is similar to a stout. Very good!

T - You can taste the roasted malts and the hints of coffee and chocolate. Very complex flavors but finishes with a mild sweetness.

M - Smooth carbonation with a moderate body. Balances well with the rich flavors while not being too heavy. Great finish that has flavor but doesn't linger for too long.

D - Very drinkable. Well balanced, great flavor, and nice finish. Highly recommended.