Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,293 | Hads: 5,949
4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

My go to brew from Ayinger. Prime example of the style. Not to be missed, highly recommended.

Used a Mug and it pours a black, redish brown brew with a thick yellow medium crown. Nice body, good carbonation. Very nice on the nose, roasted malts, cocoa beans and rippen fruits.
The first tip is of cocoa developing into the malts and ending in a nice touch of coffe with litte hints of rippen fruit in the aftertaste. Great drinkabilty and very refreshing.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured in a .5 liter glass mug.

Appearance - assertively poured, it produced a nice off-white two finger head. Dark brown body Slight lacing noticed as it settled.

Smell - Nice subtle molasses aroma

Taste - Outstanding flavor, detecting raisins and molasses in its brown malty character.

Mouthfeel - Smooth body with low carbonation.

Overall, a terrific doppelbock - I'll certainly try to keep a four pack of this available in my fridge on a regular basis.

Enjoyed a Celebrator tonight with a grilled flatiron steak and baked potater. What a treat. It's hard to imagine a better brew to suit my taste (although it is such a rich beer I don't see myself drinking more than one or two at a sitting). This beer has a rich brownish-black appearance and pleasant aroma. The mouthfeel is like drinking milk although the taste is nothing like that. The taste is startlingly complex with so many recognizable pleasant flavors all at once. This beer goes down smooth and clean with no distracting after taste. It can be matched, but I don't think I've had better!

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served: poured into a pint glass from the bottle

Appearance: it looks like a proper double bock, alright! Deep, dark, almost ruby brown body and a hint of a somewhat beige top. About a finger's worth of foam.

Scent: sweet and nice on the nose, lots of dark malty sweetness with caramel. I also get hints of coffee and Kahlua. Dang, this smells good!

Taste: it tastes just as good as it smells! It’s dark and super malty. It has a perfect thick and rich smoothness. Taste buds come to life wanting to experience this great beer! It's not too sweet, as sometime double bocks can be.

Feel: so smooth, you just want to let it linger and tease your mouth for a moment before you swallow.

Finish: it leaves you with a dark, thick, malty cake feeling at the finish. So smooth, so good!

A true experience, one that you'll want to really savor every sip!

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I recently tried Weihenstephaner Korbinian and absolutely loved it. I noticed a lot of people were mentioning Celebrator in their reviews of Korbinian so I decided to try some.

The look and smell are very similar to Korbinian, but I was not as fond of the taste as I hoped to be. I get some of the same dark fruits and subtle chocolate taste, but there is also a slight metallic taste to Celebrator that Korbinian does not have. The finish was a bit bitter as well. Overall, this beer is solid, but I did not think it was as well-balanced or drinkable. The sort of metallic bitterness hit soon and overshadowed the other flavors for me.

If Korbinian is my 10/10 Doppelbock, this is a 7.5. Just my opinion. Others seem to love it.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Mmm Doppelbocky.......

The Pour: A dark black brown with an exceptably full head that slipped away leaving a beautyful lace trim.

The Smell: A rich aroma for caramelized malt and a raisin tone.

The Taste: Semi sweet chocolate and nutty flavor

This beer is quite well balanced and I could drink it quite regularly.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Coca-cola-colored doppelbock with a small lacy head. Sharp but heavy taste of sweet molasses-like thickness. Solid standard malty Dopplebock. A wonderful taste, really. The standard for doppelbock comparisons, though it's not as good as the heavenly doppel from Andechs...one of the best beers on this wonderful earth.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

FINALLY remembered to buy a bottle of this, after always refusing to pay a "bar" price on a bottle. ;-)

Interesting 12 oz. bottle with a little bauble strung about the neck; elaborate and proud label design. Pours a dark, burnt-chestnut hue with a healthy, chocolately head. Strong smell of sweet malts.

For me, this has become the bar for doppelbocks. It is rich, malty, and sweet, with a really nice molasses flavor to it; the 6.7% alcohol content is not remotely evident in this complex brew. I have had some (alleged) doppelbocks that struck me as weak, watered-down caramel, and other that were nearly unpalatable malt-bombs, but this lands in just the right place.

That said, the sweetness of this fine beer lends itself to modest quantities; I would personally find a large quantity a little stomach-turning.

4.51/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours dark brown with big tan head. Smell is full of brown sugar, smoke, caramel, and hints of chocolate. Taste has lots of malt, roasted coffee, citrus. Nice full bodied mouthfeel with a long lasting aftertaste. This is one I am always happy to drink and never tire of.

Absolutely the best Doppelbock I've ever had.

A- Deep dark brown color. A big fat sticky tan head with the best retention I've ever seen. It leaves itself all over the place yet somehow never leaves. Incredible.

S- Toasty malt and caramel toffee sweetness right off with a good clean citrus herbal hops presence and light spices. Nice biscuit and not too powerful but warm alcohol as well.

T- Holy complexity Batman! It's a lot of things but everything fits together as if God himself were the unity. Malt up front with the caramel sweetness then citrusy subtle spicy hops. Nice balanced hops bitterness combined with light fruit flavors and toasty biscuit. Finish is lingering with light sweetness and grains.

M- This is a huge creamy thick full bodied brew. Very smooth. Carbonation is part of the harmony that is the hand of God in a bottle.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap. A grand and beautiful beer. Its greatness comes not from any extreme of taste or texture, but rather some inimitable proportion that allows you to dwell in the higher plane of genius just for awhile, like a late Mozart symphony might.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours out dark and lucious with a thick head packed tight with tiny bubbles. The aroma is dominated with fruit and chocolate. The taste is ruled by sweet and smooth malt. Low carbonation adds to the velvety smooth mouthfeel. The finish is tart and sticky.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

I finally get a shot at trying a real German Dopplebock. No head stuck around to evaluate but the wonderful chocolate color was a beautiful sight in itself and as it turned out it matched the beer as well. Aroma was light and all malt with notes of chocolate. The taste was initially a smooth nutty buscuit that finishes with strong chocolate overtones. It's the same kind of chocolaty taste you get from Anchor Porter except this one was more like having a piece of dark chocolate cake in a glass. Mouthfeel was thick and rich and in fact it was so rich and thick I would not want to have more than one of these at a time but I enjoyed this one so much I gave it good drinkability marks. I would definitely have this again if I can find it again. It is hard to find as I've been looking for this for a long time and I finally came across it about 400 miles from home. If this one is readily available to you, consider yourself lucky.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass

A- Poured a nearly black color with a quickly dissipating 1/8" light tan head. Almost no Lacing left behind.

S- Ripe bananas and cloves. Toasty malt and bread.

T- Toasted malt and woody. Clove and nutmeg spice blended very nicely with the presence of alcohol. Alcohol bite not overwhemling by any means.

M- Malt is smooth as it hits the palate. Creamy, fluffy, chewy. A pleasure to drink. Hidden carbonation appears in the mouth to create a wonderful experience.

D- Very drinkable beer that just feels good to drink. A comparatively simple beer that just goes down well. Its smooth texture mixed with its fragrant aroma make this beer excel above the rest.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Why oh why did I wait so long to try this stellar brew?! This brew poured up a hefty dark mahogany-colored body with a thick one-fingered tan colored with retention lasting long after the beer was gone and amazing lacing effects. Aromas of warm dark bread, caramel, molasses, malts and hops, and a very slight hint of alcohol. Of the doppelbocks, I am sure that this one reigns supreme! Medium-bodied, light carbonation, very thick and creamy with a well-balanced hit of hops on the finish that is dry but not too dry.

I've drunk thousands of beers in my time and generally it takes special beers for me to have an overwhelmingly negative or positive reaction. I have had Celebrator in bottle and thought it very good but recently had it on tap and was blown away, possibly the most enjoyable three glasses of beer I have ever had. Wont even bother to rate the various aspects, from the initial sniff to final drop it is one helluva beer, Sourced fresh on tap made a believer of me.

4.76/5  rDev +9.9%

Exceptional beer! I gave the smell a 4 only because it is not very strong but as other people have mentioned before.....we are not drinking this for the aroma. Doppelbocks are similar to stouts except they are not as bitter and they are more sweet. That is how this beer is. Wonderful taste and a good creamy mouthfeel. I can hardly taste any alcohol. Great for colder months. Though mine was 7.2 abv and this says 6.7. What gives?

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

L: Very dark brown, though not as black as a porter or stout. Also slightly see-through, with a ruby red color that gleams in the light. Nice frothy head that was tamed down during the drink.
S: Bready and sweet. Light hints of chocolate, bigger notes of fruits such as raisins, figs, and plums. Maybe a little molasses.
T: Similar to the smell, very sweet, molasses, raisins, figs and plums really coming to mind. LIttle to no hoppiness really. A slight toasty malt flavor not all that different from a great German pilsener on the finish.
F: Damn smooth. Like a silk dress on a pretty woman smooth, no joke. Mouthfeel is just great.
O: Have had this beer many times, but after trying many more throughout my time I thought it was wise to come back and experience/rate what I consider to be the pinnacle of this style. All subjectivity aside, this really is a great beer that exists at a happy medium between the great flavor of a porter but with the smooth drinkability of a lager. However it does not comprimise on flavor.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured beautifully from a bottle into my favorite beer consumption glass. A nice tan head appeared that disappated as I let it sit for a few moments taking in the smell. It poured a deep red to brown color. The first two words that came to my head upon first sniff were...malty and fruity...plums or dates I think. The first taste unveiled a nice roasted finish with the definite fruity backbone. Dare I say...like a young barley wine. I felt the mouthfeel was smooth and lucious. Quite enjoyable and would definitely have a couple more. Why the goats look like rams on the bottle??? Don't know.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

I think this is the first German Double Bock I have ever tried, but it won't be my last now that I know what this nectar is like. Comes in a very nice bottle with a little plastic ram charm hanging around the neck. Pours very dark brown with a tan, foamy head. Smells a bit like a cappucino and a bit like a dank cellar. Interesting. The taste is really smooth. Kind of full flavored, almost creamy with a bit of roasted coffee on my tounge. Also some chocolate flavors, and a sweet molasses finish, but not overly sweet. Very easy to drink, and it is a little strong. Great beer.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle to a pilsener glass.

Appearance - Almost completely opaque, but shows a very deep red colour on holding up to the light. I poured a little too slowly, so didn't gain much of a head, but what there was was a medium brown that remained until about halfway through the glass. I imagine with better pouring, the head may have lasted better or at least left the lacing that others have described.

Nose - A mix of fruit, malt and slightly burned caramel. Much more appetizing than it sounds!

Taste - Bitter, rich and smoky. The same caramel and a lot of licorice. Alcohol taste is present but certainly not overpowering.

Mouthfeel - Nice carbonation, surprisingly light for a double bock, although with the richness of the flavour I don't think I'd want it to be much heavier.

Drinkability - Reasonably strong, but very smooth. I think of it more of a sipper than something I can gulp down; I could certainly go for another one after the first, but the richness of the flavour means it wouldn't be a session beer.

Definitely has the 'Outstanding' tag for a reason. Highly recommended!

3.62/5  rDev -16.4%

This is one of the few "*-ator" Munich Starkbier brands I did not try in Munich during my Starkbierzeit pilgrimages in my younger days... ;) I must say I was a bit disappointed, especially since I have very much enjoyed Ayinger's other beer varieties. To be fair, I had this brew on tap in the USA (i.e., perhaps not at its freshest), served into a Celebrator 0.3 liter glass.

Appearance was dark-brown with a reddish tinge. A bit more watery than other Doppelbocks I've seen.

Aroma was very good, almost of a chocolate cordial.

Flavor was OK, with notes of port wine and sherry. The aftertaste was almost salty.

Mouthfeel was average at best, with not a lot of body and cloying to the roof of the mouth.

Drinkability was OK for a Doppelbock, but you could definitely taste the alcohol.

Again, to be fair, I had it on tap a long distance from where it was brewed. Perhaps I'll sample it again if I make it back to Bavaria.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Served in Pokal glass.

Appearance is velvety dark chocolate with medium brownish head which was poured by server so glass 1 had two finger head and glass 2 had about 4 finger head! Malty, bready aroma with hints of coffee. Taste...I was in my own world with the taste, swirling it around and around. Malty of course with caramel tones, just outstanding with silky smooth mouthfeel to match. Just a pleasure. 6.7% ABV was not evident, was suprised to learn ABV was that high. Highly drinkable and hope to run across it real soon!

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

The Celebrator pours a beautiful dark mahogany color, with a small head. I found the beer to be a tad too sweet, but otherwise a delicious rich nutty flavor. High drinkability, the beer was smooth and velvety, but not thick. This beer us easily added to my list of favorites and it earns a well-deserved spot in my refrigerator.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

It pours decent with a head that took me some co-hearsing to get 2+cm out of. Then it dissipated mostly to the small island that the etch of the Duvel glass left in the center. There was some lacing as I slowly finished the glass. Color was fairly dark some red highlights peeking through.

Taste for me at first was good but not great until the glass warmed a bit, then it was stellar. Got the fruits some caramel some here say banana, I have no idea about that. I got some chocolate. Of course a hit of the roasted malts.

It was a mellow well balanced brew. I love it, and hey the bottle is cool looking too.