Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,307 | Hads: 6,018

Absolutely the best Doppelbock I've ever had.

A- Deep dark brown color. A big fat sticky tan head with the best retention I've ever seen. It leaves itself all over the place yet somehow never leaves. Incredible.

S- Toasty malt and caramel toffee sweetness right off with a good clean citrus herbal hops presence and light spices. Nice biscuit and not too powerful but warm alcohol as well.

T- Holy complexity Batman! It's a lot of things but everything fits together as if God himself were the unity. Malt up front with the caramel sweetness then citrusy subtle spicy hops. Nice balanced hops bitterness combined with light fruit flavors and toasty biscuit. Finish is lingering with light sweetness and grains.

M- This is a huge creamy thick full bodied brew. Very smooth. Carbonation is part of the harmony that is the hand of God in a bottle.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap. A grand and beautiful beer. Its greatness comes not from any extreme of taste or texture, but rather some inimitable proportion that allows you to dwell in the higher plane of genius just for awhile, like a late Mozart symphony might.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours out dark and lucious with a thick head packed tight with tiny bubbles. The aroma is dominated with fruit and chocolate. The taste is ruled by sweet and smooth malt. Low carbonation adds to the velvety smooth mouthfeel. The finish is tart and sticky.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

I finally get a shot at trying a real German Dopplebock. No head stuck around to evaluate but the wonderful chocolate color was a beautiful sight in itself and as it turned out it matched the beer as well. Aroma was light and all malt with notes of chocolate. The taste was initially a smooth nutty buscuit that finishes with strong chocolate overtones. It's the same kind of chocolaty taste you get from Anchor Porter except this one was more like having a piece of dark chocolate cake in a glass. Mouthfeel was thick and rich and in fact it was so rich and thick I would not want to have more than one of these at a time but I enjoyed this one so much I gave it good drinkability marks. I would definitely have this again if I can find it again. It is hard to find as I've been looking for this for a long time and I finally came across it about 400 miles from home. If this one is readily available to you, consider yourself lucky.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass

A- Poured a nearly black color with a quickly dissipating 1/8" light tan head. Almost no Lacing left behind.

S- Ripe bananas and cloves. Toasty malt and bread.

T- Toasted malt and woody. Clove and nutmeg spice blended very nicely with the presence of alcohol. Alcohol bite not overwhemling by any means.

M- Malt is smooth as it hits the palate. Creamy, fluffy, chewy. A pleasure to drink. Hidden carbonation appears in the mouth to create a wonderful experience.

D- Very drinkable beer that just feels good to drink. A comparatively simple beer that just goes down well. Its smooth texture mixed with its fragrant aroma make this beer excel above the rest.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Why oh why did I wait so long to try this stellar brew?! This brew poured up a hefty dark mahogany-colored body with a thick one-fingered tan colored with retention lasting long after the beer was gone and amazing lacing effects. Aromas of warm dark bread, caramel, molasses, malts and hops, and a very slight hint of alcohol. Of the doppelbocks, I am sure that this one reigns supreme! Medium-bodied, light carbonation, very thick and creamy with a well-balanced hit of hops on the finish that is dry but not too dry.

I've drunk thousands of beers in my time and generally it takes special beers for me to have an overwhelmingly negative or positive reaction. I have had Celebrator in bottle and thought it very good but recently had it on tap and was blown away, possibly the most enjoyable three glasses of beer I have ever had. Wont even bother to rate the various aspects, from the initial sniff to final drop it is one helluva beer, Sourced fresh on tap made a believer of me.

4.76/5  rDev +9.9%

Exceptional beer! I gave the smell a 4 only because it is not very strong but as other people have mentioned before.....we are not drinking this for the aroma. Doppelbocks are similar to stouts except they are not as bitter and they are more sweet. That is how this beer is. Wonderful taste and a good creamy mouthfeel. I can hardly taste any alcohol. Great for colder months. Though mine was 7.2 abv and this says 6.7. What gives?

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured beautifully from a bottle into my favorite beer consumption glass. A nice tan head appeared that disappated as I let it sit for a few moments taking in the smell. It poured a deep red to brown color. The first two words that came to my head upon first sniff were...malty and fruity...plums or dates I think. The first taste unveiled a nice roasted finish with the definite fruity backbone. Dare I say...like a young barley wine. I felt the mouthfeel was smooth and lucious. Quite enjoyable and would definitely have a couple more. Why the goats look like rams on the bottle??? Don't know.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

I think this is the first German Double Bock I have ever tried, but it won't be my last now that I know what this nectar is like. Comes in a very nice bottle with a little plastic ram charm hanging around the neck. Pours very dark brown with a tan, foamy head. Smells a bit like a cappucino and a bit like a dank cellar. Interesting. The taste is really smooth. Kind of full flavored, almost creamy with a bit of roasted coffee on my tounge. Also some chocolate flavors, and a sweet molasses finish, but not overly sweet. Very easy to drink, and it is a little strong. Great beer.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle to a pilsener glass.

Appearance - Almost completely opaque, but shows a very deep red colour on holding up to the light. I poured a little too slowly, so didn't gain much of a head, but what there was was a medium brown that remained until about halfway through the glass. I imagine with better pouring, the head may have lasted better or at least left the lacing that others have described.

Nose - A mix of fruit, malt and slightly burned caramel. Much more appetizing than it sounds!

Taste - Bitter, rich and smoky. The same caramel and a lot of licorice. Alcohol taste is present but certainly not overpowering.

Mouthfeel - Nice carbonation, surprisingly light for a double bock, although with the richness of the flavour I don't think I'd want it to be much heavier.

Drinkability - Reasonably strong, but very smooth. I think of it more of a sipper than something I can gulp down; I could certainly go for another one after the first, but the richness of the flavour means it wouldn't be a session beer.

Definitely has the 'Outstanding' tag for a reason. Highly recommended!

3.62/5  rDev -16.4%

This is one of the few "*-ator" Munich Starkbier brands I did not try in Munich during my Starkbierzeit pilgrimages in my younger days... ;) I must say I was a bit disappointed, especially since I have very much enjoyed Ayinger's other beer varieties. To be fair, I had this brew on tap in the USA (i.e., perhaps not at its freshest), served into a Celebrator 0.3 liter glass.

Appearance was dark-brown with a reddish tinge. A bit more watery than other Doppelbocks I've seen.

Aroma was very good, almost of a chocolate cordial.

Flavor was OK, with notes of port wine and sherry. The aftertaste was almost salty.

Mouthfeel was average at best, with not a lot of body and cloying to the roof of the mouth.

Drinkability was OK for a Doppelbock, but you could definitely taste the alcohol.

Again, to be fair, I had it on tap a long distance from where it was brewed. Perhaps I'll sample it again if I make it back to Bavaria.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Served in Pokal glass.

Appearance is velvety dark chocolate with medium brownish head which was poured by server so glass 1 had two finger head and glass 2 had about 4 finger head! Malty, bready aroma with hints of coffee. Taste...I was in my own world with the taste, swirling it around and around. Malty of course with caramel tones, just outstanding with silky smooth mouthfeel to match. Just a pleasure. 6.7% ABV was not evident, was suprised to learn ABV was that high. Highly drinkable and hope to run across it real soon!

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

The Celebrator pours a beautiful dark mahogany color, with a small head. I found the beer to be a tad too sweet, but otherwise a delicious rich nutty flavor. High drinkability, the beer was smooth and velvety, but not thick. This beer us easily added to my list of favorites and it earns a well-deserved spot in my refrigerator.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

It pours decent with a head that took me some co-hearsing to get 2+cm out of. Then it dissipated mostly to the small island that the etch of the Duvel glass left in the center. There was some lacing as I slowly finished the glass. Color was fairly dark some red highlights peeking through.

Taste for me at first was good but not great until the glass warmed a bit, then it was stellar. Got the fruits some caramel some here say banana, I have no idea about that. I got some chocolate. Of course a hit of the roasted malts.

It was a mellow well balanced brew. I love it, and hey the bottle is cool looking too.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Appearance - Very dark, almost opaque rust brown, very nice head
Nose - Sweet dark fruits shine, almost a dark brown sugar sensation
Taste - Sweet maltyness comes out full force. Fig, raisens and plumbs flavors as well make there way to balance the beer well. No notable hop presence, but that doesn't detriment the beer.
Mouthfeel - Not as heavy as the others, but no where near a "light" beer.
Aftertaste - Dark fruits linger well with a hint of alcohol in the background.
Overall - This is one the beers that is shown off as "THE" dopple bock and for good reason. I love to give this beer to people who think that all beer is just bitter or hoppy.

Poured pitch black, no light getting through, with a two finger white head that dissipated into a thin lacing. The nose is very sweet, strong malts, alcohol is definitely present. This left my mouth confused after my first sip. The malts are sweet and strong, my mouth is left searching for the hops, but none are to be found. The after taste is slightly fruity with a nice alcohol burn. I do love me hops and consider myself an ale man but this Doppelbock is defintely a nice surprise.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Holy smokes! This is truly a world class beer, and I can't believe I ran across it randomly at a supermarket for only $12 American (for a 4 pack).

Celebrator is fairly hoppy which results in a more bitter after-taste than I prefer, but it's so well balanced that it's very smooth and is definitely one of the top three beers I've ever experienced.

The pour is a beautiful dark brown which results in a creamy 2-finger head and excellent lacing that persists throughout the entire drink.

The smell is a strong roast malt that hints at a complex blend of roasted toffee, caramel, coffee and molasses. There's more going on than I can explain here, but it reminds me of being a kid at Christmas.

The feel is so incredibly creamy and smooth that it's hard to believe you're actually drinking a carbonated drink. I could appreciate this beverage all night and not realize it even contained alcohol.

If you aren't a die-hard American IPA fan then Celebrator is your brew. If you appreciate quads or any other Belgians (as I do) then you can find a place in your heart for this beer despite its relative bitterness compared to other beer of its style. At first I had my doubts, but Celebrator is truly world class. There's no denying perfection, but be careful... once you try it there's no going back.

4.46/5  rDev +3%

11.2 oz. bottle poured smoothly into an English pub glass. I like the artwork on the bottle, and the Bull ornament hanging around the bottle neck.

A: After pouring fairly gently, a nice 2 inch tan head grew from the beer eventually settling into about 1/2 inch that never went away. Looked like a nitro-can pour; however, the head was nice and foamy, and stayed around for the entire glass. Beer is a dark brown color, almost opaque. Beautiful. Lacing was amazing, shimmering all down the side of the glass.

S: Toasted malts, sweetness of caramel, maybe toffee? Very pleasant, but I don't like whatever sourness is there. It's not much, and maybe it's the glass I poured it into, but I would have preferred it to not be there...

T: Definitely toasted malts, like the smell. I like this very much. Also, dark fruits, though I am not experienced enough to really pick them out individually. The taste is extremely pleasant, that's all I can say really.

M: Absolutely wonderful. Borders on perfection. Light carbonation, light-medium weight on the tongue. Silky and smooth, I want another already. Finish lasts a while, and tastes great. No need to clean the palette either.

O: One of the best beers I've had. Looks beautiful, tastes wonderful, and finishes perfect. I should buy this more often, and I'm not sure why I don't really. Oh, because I would be broke it I bought as much as I wanted to.

I think I'll have me another.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Great doppelbock! Pours a deep brown with some clarity through light with a decent off-white head that clings to the glass going down. Smells fantastic, with aromas of brown bread, caramel, and chocolate. Flavor is very smooth and well put together. Tastes of coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts with some alcohol warmth at the back of the tongue. Terrific beer!

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers I have ever had.
Immense and complex flavors of cola, semi sweet chocolate, molasses, nutmeg cocoa powder and pumpernickel bread. Finish lasts for days with a great bitter sweet finish.
This is the beer that has me trying every doppelbock I see these days...

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Dark. Very Dark Brown (almost black) with a slight amber hue when held up to the light. Got about a one finger head when pouring from a bottle.

Smell - Slight cocoa and spice smell. Hints of raisins and other dark fruits. Malty undertones.

Taste - Many flavors tend to explode off this one. Chocolate, Coffee, Fruitcake, Spice.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly light considering how the color is dark. The strong flavor does not linger on the palate too long.

Overall - This is my first taste of this beer. I'm impressed with the complexity of flavors. I'm not much a fan of darker beers, but this one I could see myself drinking in the colder months.

Serving type: 11.2 oz bottle

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

a: Wondeful look in the pint glass. Dark browns, not muddy but darker richer browns.

s: very light roasted carmel tones

t: smooth on the tongue, slight roast after taste and some sweetness.

m: Looks full bodied, but mouth feel is lighter, thinner but in a good way.

o: Fantastic beer, we did pint glasses at 57F and could have drank a lot more. Generally higher alcohol beers taste like it, but this was simple and easy to drink with no hint of the higher alcohol esters.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

I woudln't call myself religious, but if there is a god, his refrigerator is certainly stocked with Ayinger Celebrator. With the increasing trend of beers aiming to be bigger and hoppier than ever before, the perfect balance of this gem is something I am in awe of.

Drink this now. And then drink it again.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

This beer is really very appealing. It pours a dark dark brown, almost purple color with a nice two finger head which is kind of tan in color.

The smell of it has a lot of spice to it and maybe some fruit. I sort of smell figs.

The taste of it is really very nice. It is really full tasting. Hints of coffee and spice. It has medium carbonation and really disguises the alcohol in it very well. It is not bitter at all in fact this beer borders on being sweet. Very very rich malt flavor. This is a really good tasting beer. Also this beer really gets better with each taste of it. Every time you pick it up a new taste appears.

Overall I would rate this beer a 4.5 out of 5.