Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,292 | Hads: 5,946
4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Holy smokes! This is truly a world class beer, and I can't believe I ran across it randomly at a supermarket for only $12 American (for a 4 pack).

Celebrator is fairly hoppy which results in a more bitter after-taste than I prefer, but it's so well balanced that it's very smooth and is definitely one of the top three beers I've ever experienced.

The pour is a beautiful dark brown which results in a creamy 2-finger head and excellent lacing that persists throughout the entire drink.

The smell is a strong roast malt that hints at a complex blend of roasted toffee, caramel, coffee and molasses. There's more going on than I can explain here, but it reminds me of being a kid at Christmas.

The feel is so incredibly creamy and smooth that it's hard to believe you're actually drinking a carbonated drink. I could appreciate this beverage all night and not realize it even contained alcohol.

If you aren't a die-hard American IPA fan then Celebrator is your brew. If you appreciate quads or any other Belgians (as I do) then you can find a place in your heart for this beer despite its relative bitterness compared to other beer of its style. At first I had my doubts, but Celebrator is truly world class. There's no denying perfection, but be careful... once you try it there's no going back.

4.46/5  rDev +3%

11.2 oz. bottle poured smoothly into an English pub glass. I like the artwork on the bottle, and the Bull ornament hanging around the bottle neck.

A: After pouring fairly gently, a nice 2 inch tan head grew from the beer eventually settling into about 1/2 inch that never went away. Looked like a nitro-can pour; however, the head was nice and foamy, and stayed around for the entire glass. Beer is a dark brown color, almost opaque. Beautiful. Lacing was amazing, shimmering all down the side of the glass.

S: Toasted malts, sweetness of caramel, maybe toffee? Very pleasant, but I don't like whatever sourness is there. It's not much, and maybe it's the glass I poured it into, but I would have preferred it to not be there...

T: Definitely toasted malts, like the smell. I like this very much. Also, dark fruits, though I am not experienced enough to really pick them out individually. The taste is extremely pleasant, that's all I can say really.

M: Absolutely wonderful. Borders on perfection. Light carbonation, light-medium weight on the tongue. Silky and smooth, I want another already. Finish lasts a while, and tastes great. No need to clean the palette either.

O: One of the best beers I've had. Looks beautiful, tastes wonderful, and finishes perfect. I should buy this more often, and I'm not sure why I don't really. Oh, because I would be broke it I bought as much as I wanted to.

I think I'll have me another.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Great doppelbock! Pours a deep brown with some clarity through light with a decent off-white head that clings to the glass going down. Smells fantastic, with aromas of brown bread, caramel, and chocolate. Flavor is very smooth and well put together. Tastes of coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts with some alcohol warmth at the back of the tongue. Terrific beer!

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers I have ever had.
Immense and complex flavors of cola, semi sweet chocolate, molasses, nutmeg cocoa powder and pumpernickel bread. Finish lasts for days with a great bitter sweet finish.
This is the beer that has me trying every doppelbock I see these days...

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Dark. Very Dark Brown (almost black) with a slight amber hue when held up to the light. Got about a one finger head when pouring from a bottle.

Smell - Slight cocoa and spice smell. Hints of raisins and other dark fruits. Malty undertones.

Taste - Many flavors tend to explode off this one. Chocolate, Coffee, Fruitcake, Spice.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly light considering how the color is dark. The strong flavor does not linger on the palate too long.

Overall - This is my first taste of this beer. I'm impressed with the complexity of flavors. I'm not much a fan of darker beers, but this one I could see myself drinking in the colder months.

Serving type: 11.2 oz bottle

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

a: Wondeful look in the pint glass. Dark browns, not muddy but darker richer browns.

s: very light roasted carmel tones

t: smooth on the tongue, slight roast after taste and some sweetness.

m: Looks full bodied, but mouth feel is lighter, thinner but in a good way.

o: Fantastic beer, we did pint glasses at 57F and could have drank a lot more. Generally higher alcohol beers taste like it, but this was simple and easy to drink with no hint of the higher alcohol esters.

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

L: Very dark brown, though not as black as a porter or stout. Also slightly see-through, with a ruby red color that gleams in the light. Nice frothy head that was tamed down during the drink.
S: Bready and sweet. Light hints of chocolate, bigger notes of fruits such as raisins, figs, and plums. Maybe a little molasses.
T: Similar to the smell, very sweet, molasses, raisins, figs and plums really coming to mind. LIttle to no hoppiness really. A slight toasty malt flavor not all that different from a great German pilsener on the finish.
F: Damn smooth. Like a silk dress on a pretty woman smooth, no joke. Mouthfeel is just great.
O: Have had this beer many times, but after trying many more throughout my time I thought it was wise to come back and experience/rate what I consider to be the pinnacle of this style. All subjectivity aside, this really is a great beer that exists at a happy medium between the great flavor of a porter but with the smooth drinkability of a lager. However it does not comprimise on flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

I woudln't call myself religious, but if there is a god, his refrigerator is certainly stocked with Ayinger Celebrator. With the increasing trend of beers aiming to be bigger and hoppier than ever before, the perfect balance of this gem is something I am in awe of.

Drink this now. And then drink it again.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

This beer is really very appealing. It pours a dark dark brown, almost purple color with a nice two finger head which is kind of tan in color.

The smell of it has a lot of spice to it and maybe some fruit. I sort of smell figs.

The taste of it is really very nice. It is really full tasting. Hints of coffee and spice. It has medium carbonation and really disguises the alcohol in it very well. It is not bitter at all in fact this beer borders on being sweet. Very very rich malt flavor. This is a really good tasting beer. Also this beer really gets better with each taste of it. Every time you pick it up a new taste appears.

Overall I would rate this beer a 4.5 out of 5.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Being a fan of most every kind of Bock out there, I went to the Brickskeller in DC one evening and asked the bartender for a good dopplebock. She came back with Ayinger Celebrator and I found a good beer to celebrate special occasions with.

Appearance: Perfect. Good dark color, full head, nice lacing.

Smell: The maltiness reaches out to you, grabbing hold like a lover and holds on, making you feel good (felt like being artsy fartsy for a second).

Taste: The beer's a true dopplebock. Excellent, complex malty flavor. It's hard to pick up all of the notes in this beer, goading you into drinking more of it. The half point is deducted simply because I'm a minor hophead.

Mouthfeel: Feels great in the mouth, perfect carbonation, but like many low-hop beers, it leaves too much of an aftertaste.

Drinkability: Perfect with food or a couple at a time, but it's a bit too filling and robust to be a good session beer.

4.89/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

By far, my favorite beer. It pours a dark brownish-red and smells of malt, chocolate, and raisin. The finish is smooth and malty, a tad chewy, and flavorful. This beer requires several sips to appreciate all the flavors. It's quite impressive how much Germans can do with four ingredients and this beer is testament to the strength of the Reinheitsgebot.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

A friend of mine and I opened up our bottles and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance is a deep dark mahogany with a 1.5 finger tan lacy head.

Smelled of bready malt and caramely sugars with a touch of alcohol.

Taste was great. Big malt bready flavors with dark molasses up front. Finished off with a touch of alcohol that became more noticable as the beer warmed up. A bare touch of hop was noticed in the finish.

Mouthfeel was a big full feeling. Not thick and syrupy or thin but a nice feeling.

I would recommend this beer to anyone! Looking forward to my next bottle.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a deep brown into my new Unibroue tulip, with a thick tanned head of foam. Retention looks solid so far. Further into the glass, it settles into a nice collar, nothing huge, but ok.

The nose is awesome. Dark, toasty malt flavors, fruit, chocolate and, oddly enough, a little smokiness? A touch sweetness in the background, and very little perceived alcohol. Delicious and completely unique.

The flavor is deep and intense, following the aroma. A little more alcohol noticable here, but it doesn't detract. Sweet, toasty malt, fruit, maybe a little chocolate and that odd smoky flavor. It's very subtle, only a background, but it makes the beer taste so deliciously earthy. Hop flavor is minimal, though there is enough bitterness to keep the finish medium dry and decidedly bready (think pumpernickle).

In the mouth, the beer is smooth, though not as rich or creamy as it could have been. Low carbonation is a plus here. I would put the body as a solid medium. While these factors conspire to leave a tiny bit desired, they make the beer as drinkable as the day is long - so smooth, so delicious...

Overall, this beer is a real winner. Bocks are a favorite of mine, and when they're as big and flavorful as Celebrator, well, it's cause for celebration.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

First had this brew in college and I had no idea what was going on in my mouth, now however..

Reddish brown body with a huge, creamy tan head. Good retention and lace. Very good looking.

Intensly sweet and toasted malt nose, with some roasted grain, raisin, and floral hop. The first sip overtakes you in rich and chocolatey flavor.

Chewy, with notes of dried fruit and herby, floral hop. A bit sour, and perhaps a little lactic. Spicy towards the finish. Very sweet, with an eternal finish. Practically chewable.

Very easy to drink. A perfect friend on a cold, rainy day.

4.01/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Dark brown, with dark ruby red around the edges. Thin head just off white. Head disappears quickly.

S - Smells wonderful. Distinctive, bright smell. Very sweet and malty with some dried fruit, raisins. Not smelling any hops.

T - Rich. Very similar to the nose, but just a little less exciting. A little sweeter. Malts, dried fruit, and some caramel sweetness. The aftertaste is dry, hoppy and slightly toasted.

M - Decent. Light bodied. Very smooth, light on carbonation.

O - An interesting, rich lager. Pleasant to drink, but for me it doesn't live up to the hype surrounding it.

4.51/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Looks great, a dark sort of cola brown with a long lasting head.

Smell: Has an easily detectable aroma, but it was mostly alcohol, with some spices to me.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Sweet and malty flavor with a little detectable alcohol. Doesn't finish much different than it starts. Low carbonation, but medium mouthfeel. Some spices and sweetness are there but particular flavors are difficult to pick out.

Notes: My first doppelbock.

3.86/5  rDev -10.9%

I went out and purchased a 4 pack from the local Beverage Barn. Planned on drinking, quietly, at my house from a glass. I ended up going to a frat house party and drinking it out of the bottle. I must say it has a potent smell and syrupy mouthfeel. I was feeling my stomach ache after the 3rd bottle (i did drink them quite fast). Tastes of dark fruits and molasses. Very sticky. I was licking it off my lips for 20 minutes. I enjoyed a Pear Cider afterwords, and the two mixing tasted like peanut butter!

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

If I didn't know any better, I would translate this beer to "The Nectar of the Gods".

A significant, fluffy head formed with very little effort atop the dark mahogany body. This beer smells delicious.... the predominate fragrance, believe it or not!, was cherry pie, riding a wave of sweet mollasses, chocolate, and biscuit.

Flavour very nearly matched the smell, with some slight variations. Foundational was a golden syrup/treacle that bolstered fruit cake (dates esp.) and a little honey, with a continuous, but gentle reminder of an alcoholic punch through the finish.

Mouthfeel is chewy and viscous syrup, that allows a wonderful retention of the flavours well after swallowing.

While I have many more beers to sample, I have no hesitation in recognising this as my most memorable and delightful to date.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Rich coca cola caramel tones. Short creamy light dark head. Mild perfect carbonation for Doppelbock.

S: Sweet malt and caramel. Incredibly complex, rich smell.

T: Rich yeast, with roasted caramel. Mild bourbon notes and toasted bread. It's amazing. Doesn't have many peers.

M: Very smooth and creamy. Medium body and strong. Extremely drinkable. I just want to keep drinking this.

O: This is a work of art! Nothing is in excess. Well balanced, complex yet completely drinkable. Expensive but worth it in every way. Good luck finding it.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a nice deep color, almost black but a little bit of red thrown in. Not a lot of head but it works.

Aroma was delicious with caramel, chocolate and toast with some dark fruits (raisins) thrown in for good measure.

Tastes silky smooth with chocolate sweetness, some caramel or toffee, and toasted malt. More of the dark fruit is noticed. The finish was smooth and sweet.

Medium body and smooth, delicious flavor make this an easy drinker. Very enjoyable and an excellent doppelbock.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

A gorgeously festive label, and a correspondingly sexy-looking beer. (Fool your little brother or cousin into thinking it's cherry cola! And then get in trouble.) Head's thin and settles quickly on this meaty man-brew.

Tastes of dark malts and fig. A fruity, roasty fullness permeates, and the finish is smoky bitterness. Would go great with snack-time holiday food, as I can see it jibing with cheese, nuts and berries.

An eventful beer, for sure. Try it to say you hit that!

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Not too thick, not too thin...just right.

Had a beautiful dark brown color with a good foamy head to it.

Delicious malt flavors all around and superb drink ability. Great beer to bring a 4-pack of to a get together.

Also, not too expensive which is a plus to all of us!

Tom and Analise

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If you could offer only a few bottles of beer to a friend and say, "This is what beer tastes like," you would need to include this one.

Molasses brown color and a short tan head. Smells sweet and bitter and bready and "Ganz gut." And tastes just as good. Nothing crazy or quirky. Just great beer.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

i've had a lot of Spaten Optimator in my day, and i was eager to try the Ayinger Celebrator, as it's generally regarded as a top-notch Dopplebock... but does it surpass my beloved Optimator?

A- Poured from a bottle into a German stange glass (enhance that malt, baby) - you really have to hold it up to the light to see anything through this very opaque brew... a bright back-light reveals red highlights, like a concentrated Coca-Cola. One 11.2 ounce bottle poured to an inch of head, very little lacing.

S- The smell is, in my opinion, one of the finest aspects of Celebrator. All that delicious maltiness you've come to know and love in a great German Dopple, plus a very fruity sweetness... cherry, and chocolate toasted malt. I've been sitting here with my eyes closed, just sniffing, and enjoying it. Excellent. Touch of alcohol in the smell.

T- This one actually tastes a lot like it smells, without the alcohol. Very sweet fruitiness, once again reminding me of a cherry or plum. Chocolate and dark toasty maltiness, but very little alcohol taste. Warm.

M- i'd say a full medium body, very smooth, just the right amount of carbonation - just enough to prevent it from being syrupy with so much sweetness in the taste... but not so much that it tastes like a soda pop. Mouthfeel, while not chewy, is very satisfying.

D- Celebrator has such a fantastic aroma and taste that it's hard not to keep bringing the glass to your lips. Certainly more complex than Spaten Optimator - i only wish it were as cheap as Spaten! This definitely deserves to be called a world-class beer.

As an added bonus, each bottle comes with the little plastic goats around the neck... nice touch!

Looks like i've found another brew that will probably always need to be on-hand in my refrigerator...

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%

A- dark ruby brown - translucent to 200 watt bulb within 6 inches only (very opaque)- brilliant with two finger head that diminishes to 1/4 inch within 5 minutes

S- awesome, rich malt aroma with very slight hallertau hop tinge

T- smooth, silky, slightly sweet, deep malt - with very low bitterness < 25 ibu

M- smooth, very full for the low gravity considering, lager vinegar aftertaste that disappears quickly leaving a round tone on the palate.

D- could drink 3 bottles easily without desire to change style

Overall this is an incredibly perfect example of the style. I have tried many dopplebocks and this is the most middle-of-the-road stylistic example. This isn't a slight, but rather a proof of concept and guide for crafting a more extreme sample.

Thanks to Ayinger for another excellent lager.