Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,281 | Hads: 5,898
4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

Very dark but when held up to a bright light, a deep dark red color shines through. Not much head on pouring, however, easily duplicated by a light swirling action. The aroma is sweet like wheatgrass and almost brown-sugar or molasses laced. Flavor is heavy on the carmel bordering on candied dates, slight nuttiness with a maple character which becomes more robust after breathing for a few minutes just creeping into a currant note. It has a smooth, almost creamy feel to the palate but somewhat heavy. A lightly bitter bouquet balances the sweetness very well, making it very drinkable. A great choice for doppelbok fans and anyone who likes to dabble in stouts and porters primarily. A nice experience that highlights the Bavarian character of this style of bier. (767 characters)

According to my opinion, and compared to approx. 2500 beers, this is by far the best beer in the world. It's absolutely flawless. Until now I have managed to taste it only from a bottle but it is said that it is available "von fass" (draught) during May. Drinking a Celebrator is a unique experience that starts from the moment it comes to your table for the first time, until... the day you die?? The first thing that will catch your eye is the bottle. I usually don't pay attention, but the uniqueness of the label and the little "bock" that hangs from it tell you two things: It's a beer that has a lot of tradition behind it, and that it is made by people who pay attention to details. And then you serve it... Its dark ruby-red / brown color plays with your imagination as well as it does with light. Its full aroma reaches your brain gradually. At first, I thought it was impossible to have a bouquet of aromas, so full and well-balanced. This beer smells of spring rain, wet wood and discreet flowers. The worst part is the 3-5 seconds wait it takes to settle. It takes for ever... But when you taste it you won't believe that such thing is possible! The world will subside and all of your senses will busy cherishing the unique feeling of drinking a Celebrator. No words. Perhaps I am over-reacting but have you tried it?

Suggestions: Serve at a temperature of ~5 deg. C in a tulip shaped glass. Accompanies well most plates (red/white meat, vegetables, fruit, chocolate) but the best way to enjoy is with just some pretzels. (1,534 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

I truly regret that I only had one bottle to experience. Everything positive that I read about this beer was more than true. This is the most exceptional Doppelbock I have ever experienced. The flavor and aroma from this Beer is beyond description, suffice it to say it is as near to perfection as I have tasted.

Bocks and Dark Beers are my favorites and this is the best Dark Beer that I have had to date. Thanks to my friend John who brought this one back from a trip. I will be purchasing Celebrator on my next trip to Pensacola.

I stopped by Four Winds in Pensacola Fl and bought all that they had on the shelf.

If I had to spend the rest of my life with only one Beer, this is the Beer for me. That being said, I will continue searching for a better Beer, as it is really all about the search for perfection... (819 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

Tasted the beer in a trapist ale glass

color: dark, coca-cola like color, nice little brown head
smell: at first, like freshly baked dark bread, then gives a caramel and burnt sugar smell, followed by a marzipan and rum smell, and finally a bit of smokiness.
Taste: dark bread, dark chocolate.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth beer, has a slight bit of bitterness.

Overall: A great beer that that is certainly worthy of it reputation! (426 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Dark brown, solid. Minimal head.

S - Coffee, chocolate, and vanilla.

T - Coffee, and yes chocolate. The smell prefaced the great complexity of this beer. No hop bite.

M - Savoring. Refreshing, yet filling.

O - Awesome doppelbock. Simply enjoyable, I would take this any day vs. any American offering of a German-style beer. (333 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from an 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark Brown color with a pleasant light brown head that retained itself for quite a while.

S: Roasted malts, a hint of coffee, some bready aromas.

T: Lots of coffee in the flavor, accentuated with some sweet chocolate notes balanced with a bit of bread flavor. It finished with a slight bit of lager crispness.

M/D: A full thick body, the carbonation was very smooth. On drinkability terms, this one was fantastic. A lot of this style is cloyingly sweet and its very hard to down more than one of them. I could drink this one all night.

All and all, a fantastic beer. (624 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Celebrator flute.

A - Very deep, dark black color with hues of ruby red along the edges; beautiful, light-brown, one-finger head; appears to be slightly carbonated with very small bubbles; head retention is low, only slight lacing throughout drink.

S - Big nose! Very complex. Explosion of malts up front, with coffee & chocolate. Subtle hint of roastiness.

T - Thick malts with an explosion of chocolate; subtle hints of coffee and caramel. Intense dark chocolate finish with a hint of sweet roastiness. No heat.

M - Medium-bodied; cool carbonation that tingles in your mouth (and on your mustache).

D - Fully drinkable. World-class Doppelbock. A must-try! (696 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

The color was a dark ruby brown. On the nose you could discern dates with roasty notes. Initial raisin like taste with a semi-sweet second taste, ending in a smooth non-bitter finish. Left a faintly sweet after taste that sat well in your mouth. Well rounded beer, perfect for a cold winter evening. (299 characters)

Wow, best Doppelbock I have tried so far.

A: Awesome appearance, Extremely dark with a nice head that stays as long as it's there. Gorgeous.

S: Has a great aroma of chocolate, coffee, and a strong molasses sent. It is not to overpowering though great balance.

T: Molasses is the first flavor, then it almost has a chocolate flavor to it, along with a nice malt and hops taste to it. It has a awesome sweetness to it but definitely not too much, just enough to make it flavorful, along with a little bitterness, but not at the finish. Good carbonation, the alcohol is just right. German brewing at its finest.

M: Very creamy, so damn good! Just an awesome feel to it.

D: Infinity on the Drinkability, I would get drunk on this not because I wanted to get drunk, but because it's so damn good. Highly recommend it, best Doppelbock out there.

Trust me, you need to try this, it's worth getting. Exceeds the reputation. (922 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

11.2 ounce bottle, poured into a glass. Pours a deep, dark brown with a nice tan head. Smell is wonderful; pure malt. Taste has a slight hop bitterness, yet is still extremely smooth. Not my favorite doppelbock, but still very good and highly recommended. (255 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours extremely dark but crystal clear -- a red so dark that it is almost purple. Big stiff dark head slowly fades to leave lace all over the glass. The nose is all caramel and malt but without any candy sweetness. Full, velvety mouthfeel with just enough carbonation to make it rich instead of heavy. The flavor is all malt: caramel notes and just a hint of roastiness and a smooth, rounded sweetness. Does not cut you in the back of the throat like some doppelbocks -- very smooth as it goes down. Perfectly balanced bitterness in the finish to cut the sweetness and prevent it from being cloying. Too filling to be a "regular", but very close to being heaven in a bottle. (674 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3%

Dark red, brown, translucent.
Good effervescence.
Nose malty
Taste malty sweet, decent hop bitter to keep sweetness in check.
no aftertaste. smooth.
mouthfeel is unremarkable, which makes it exceptional.

Good beer. Clean and tasty. I had one, could have had two, but decided to have my own doppelbock. (309 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - The color is very dark. Up to the light it is actually ruby red when the light shines through. It pours well with a nice brown head.

S - Smells like fig/raisins, malt, a little fruity, very nice.

T - Tastes malty with a hint of dark cherry then it has a dry hop bitterness to counter the sweetness from the dark malt.

M - Very light on the mouthfeel for the appearance. It seems like it would be perfect if the mouthfeel was a little thicker. Probably a little too picky.

D - Great beer, great doppleback, this one of those beers to use to judge others

Let it warm a little. It is soo much better warm. (621 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

11.2 OZ bottle, imported by merchant du vin. This is the first time trying celebrator, after waiting literally months for it to be restocked after a rapid sellout at Sherbrooke. Thanks, VUE magazine!

A: Celebrator looks a lot like cola to me. Upon pouring it, the carbonation looks and sounds just like pouring a glass of cola. Color is almost exactly that of Dr. Pepper, only a little bit more brown. The head comes up with finer bubbles than said soft drink, but degrades evenly over a minute and a half into a light tan ring. I noticed that the outside ring of head was slightly darker than the stuff in the middle. This might be an anomaly... i'll have to drink a couple more to verify :)

S: The first thing I said when smelling this beer for the first time was "wow, maltacular!" It positively reeks of malt, in a good way. Behind that is a little vinuous note, and some smoke.

T: malty, then smoky, than hoppy, in that order: sort of like the smell. I thought this would be really similar to Löwenbräu Triumphator, but it has a much stronger hop character, where I found triumphator more biscuity and sweet. I'm not a beer god by any stretch of the imagination, but this stuff feels really balanced.

M/D: feels really smooth, not too heavy in the mouth or the stomach. I could drink this over an extended period of time. (1,340 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Celebrator is a very deep dark brown, with a tan head that fades quickly. It smells sweet and malty, and a little nutty, I think. Taste is very good, again very malty without being too thick. Mouthfeel is good, not much carbonation with a long lingering aftertaste. I usually like double bock in the fall and winter but this is a good choice all year. (351 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

A very deep and rich brown color, and when held up to the light there are hints of dark red. When poured it has a light brown head.

Fruity aroma, with ascents of cherry and raisins.

Strong malty taste, very subtle hints of nuttiness and herbs. It leaves a pleasant fruit flavor on the palate.

Good mouthfeel, just the right amount of carbonation.

This is just an overall fantastic beer. I've had it several times and it always manages to impress me. Definitely should be tried. (482 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Served from a 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a deep brown, reveals a little ruby held to the light. Otherwise, it almost looks opaque. One finger of persistent foam, lots of lacing.

Dark, nutty, aroma, not much hops, some raisin and coffee notes.

Deep, roasty malt flavor, hops not super distinct but definitely a presence that balances out the raisin and fig-like sweetness. Complex and satisfying.

Mouthfeel’s amazing. Very smooth for this relatively big beer.

Overall, a great example of the style and a thoroughly enjoyable beer experience. (565 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

A - poured a deep dark brown (almost black) with ruby undertones. not much in the way of head or lace

S - sweet (burnt sugar), malt complexity, rich, caramelly, milky

T - bready malt, sweet, hint of dark fruit, pinch of spice

M - chewy, thick bodied, super smooth & velvety

D - if you enjoy a sweetened malty concoction then this is the brew for you. definitely an enjoyable sipping beer after dinner, not sure I'd pound more than one of these at a time though. (465 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

I was out with my wife the other night and she had a wild idea that she would pick my beer out for me. My wife doesn't know anything about beer, nor does she drink it. Out of a list of about 60 some beers, she picks this one. I could have kissed her for that! I love this beer. I would have never picked it because somewhere in the back of my head I have a notion that I don't like dark beers. But the last 2 beers that I have had were both very dark and I absolutely loved both of them!

This beer is very dark, almost black. I held it up to a light and you could barely see through it. I poured to from the bottle to a glass (as you always should) and it was a glorious moment watching that silky smooth dark liquor moving from the bottle to the glass. The head was thick with a almost tan colour. It had as very smooth texture going down, very easy to drink. The taste was not what I usually associate with a dark beer. The taste was actually very pleasant. I love this beer. I will buy it again. And I will suggest this to ANY beer lover!

Later I found out that this beer is #25 on BeerAdvocate's Top 100 Beer list! (1,121 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Dark brown appearance, but with a ruby hue when held up to the light. Very nice.

Smells of brown sugar, dark fruit, and some sort of candy. Big on the maltiness.

Tastes similarly, malt and dark fruits dominate, but there are many other flavors I can't quite pinpoint. Coffee and chocolate in the back end maybe?

Mouthfeel is great, one of the smoothest beers I've ever had in my life.

If you are going to try only one doppelbock, make it this one. Definitely one of the world's finest beers. (495 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good dark beer. I was lucky to find it here in Hawaii. A must try if you like dark malt caramel coffee kind of beer. It has a rich taste. I'm not a expert reviewer I just know a good beer when I taste one. If you don't like dark beer then don't try it, but if you like porter style/ coffee/ malt then a must try.. Just my opinion of course. (341 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate, despite anything you read.

I contrasted this to Young's Double Chocolate and I must say this beer can carry it's weight. Flavorful and worthy of the reputation I've heard about many times.

The hops predominate an a well-balanced brew that you can drink the entire day.

Clearly a winner in my book. (347 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -3%

So far this beer is one of the best. Poured into a pint glass, it was black with caramel creamy head, about 1.5-2 inches of head (from a fairly aggressive pour). Rich malty aroma with some light fruity smells, almost like a dry red wine??? Creamy full bodied taste with slight fruitiness to it. Subtle chocolatey tones. CAn't taste the coffee aspect, but I have before in this brew. Less aftertaste than I have noticed before. Big take away from this tasting was the noticeable fruity notes that I couldn.t detect before. This has always been one of my most sought after beers, and I will continue drinking it, but my quest for the perfect beer must go on. (656 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

The taste is the exceptional. Rich, roasted malts melding into a chocolaty coffee finish. I have not had a better beer. So smooth going down with a nice lingering finish. From the moment I opened the bottle and got a whiff of the aroma until I put the empty glass on the bar after my second one the experience was thoroughly enjoyable. (335 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12%

I poured a 12oz bottle into a tumbler.

Appearance: Pretty hue of dark maroon, almost purple, with a perfectly-proportioned tan, foamy head. The head sticks around until the bitter end and leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Many of the same scents I get in a dark Trappist ale I get here: raisin, fruitcake, rum, and a bit of cough medicine.

Taste: Perhaps I should just "copy and paste" my tasting notes of certain Belgian Trappist beers since Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock seems to have many of the same flavors. As we noted in the aroma, dark fruits and confectionary flavors are strong here. Fruitcake, rum, raisin, and toffee syrup are all prominent from start to finish. It's a rich, sweet beer to be sure, but it's never cloying or sticky. It finishes with a subtle, semi-sweet chocolate aftertaste to impart some bitterness and let you know it's still a beer.

Mouthfeel: The first thing I noticed about this beer even before the flavor was just how soft and gentle it was in the mouth. This is like getting a hug from a teddy bear.

Drinkability: There's no carbonation sensation, nor is the beer obese - it's perfectly medium-bodied. Not a refreshing beer, obviously, so it's not quite in league of a summer seasonal (bear in mind this beer IS a lager, not an ale). It's so darn soft and tasty that it's difficult not to drink it as fast as possible.

Overall, this is a pretty amazing beer I wasn't expecting to like nearly as much as I did. I think most beer drinkers will be pleasantly surprised by it as well. (1,530 characters)