Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,295 | Hads: 5,952
4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Paid .70EUR + .08EUR glass deposit for a 330mL bottle.

*Reviewed on 18.07.2005

The beer pours a dark brown base, medium caramel colored head, solid retention and nice lacing throughout most of the beer. The smell is heavy of malts, smells like coffee and chocolate - unusual for a doppel.

The taste is perfection, strong on malt taste but not overpowering, the taste is roasty, hints of coffee/chocolate, the aftertaste is the best of any beer I've tasted. The beer is never harsh on the mouth but the head retention isn't perfect to give the beer the best of all smoothness. This is such a great beer, and I would have another, a slow session of this one is best.

Final Thought: This and Aventinus are the clear champions in the bock variety, which has quickly become my favorite style in German brews. A classic beer!

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A beautiful specimen of the Dopplebock style.

The dark, dark brown beer pours with a soundful plop in the glass. Malty even to the ears. Nearly opaque with a medium, tan head that lasts the session. A good deal of lacing on the glass proves either to be too heavy or verly well malted.

Heavy toast without roasting in the nose. Rye breads, beer breads, grainy breads... the beer is all about the bready-toasty malts. Mild toffee and nuttiness come in late. Secondary scents of fruitcake and dehydrated fruits from cherries, apples, pineapples, dates, figs, and raisons swirl around a light rum-like sweetness. Promises greatness.

Outstanding flavors of the fruits, breads, and alcohols that are described in the nose transfer unadulterated to the taste but with less heaviness or boldness than expected. Still, the heavy emphasis is on the bready, melanoiden meaty flavors with a touch of soy-sauce aging. Toffee and nuttiness round on the the malts and make them identifiable.

The body can be summed up in one word: Malty. Of course the bready notes come full throddle with a creamy, robust, full texture. But all that seems to whisp away in a magical last second. Part of the beer evaporates while the otehr parts thin into a toasty-sweet beer that makes for remarkable drinkability.

Celebrator is one of the few true Dopplebocks the exemplifly the style to perfection. Could it use a bit more complexity on the fruits and a bit more balance on the lagered-oxidized front? Maybe, but no faults here.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance is a rich brown ochre with a coffee colored foam that is so thick it is heavy – and leaves lacing that stays to the end. Aroma has yeasty bread, raisins and molasses, toffee, ethanol, pumpkin pie spices, hops and lots of malt. Initial taste is all of the above with bitter hops balancing out the sweetness beautifully. Plums and currants are present, and the sweet after finish leaves one wanting some spice cake or mincemeat pie. Mouth feel is like drinking a malt. Not much carbonation. Compare side by side with Salvator sometime. Interesting. Love this stuff!

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

The Celebrator pours out a dark almost porter like color away from the light. When it is held to the light it is a dark mahogany with some ruby highlights. The beer has a huge 2 1/2" tan head that falls to about 1/4" after a while and leaves some nice lacing.

MALT!!!! Sweet, roastedmalt. A mild coffee aroma and a light chocolate note. A little metallic smell.

Beautiful mellow roasted malt. So balanced, nice full body. Some sweetness and a little bread(rye) flavor. Somekind of pumpkin flavor? Like a pumpkin bread. Excellent and oh so smooth!

The mouthfeel has an almost stout like velvetiness. Very smooth and one hell of a highly drinkable doppelbock. I would recommend this to anyone! I can't wait for some more.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

This is my first doppelbock. Poured into a Celebrator glass, pours a dark brown with a very nice head which disipates pretty quick, but leaves a very nice lacing. Has a sweet malty scent. WOW, I really love the taste of this brew, light body and very social drinkability. I would recommend this brew very highly. Speaking of recommending, I recommended this to a lady at the liquor store yesterday, but once she saw the price of $2.45 a bottle (4-Pack) she said she was going to Wal-Mart instead. ROTFFLMAO

4.2/5  rDev -3%

So far this beer is one of the best. Poured into a pint glass, it was black with caramel creamy head, about 1.5-2 inches of head (from a fairly aggressive pour). Rich malty aroma with some light fruity smells, almost like a dry red wine??? Creamy full bodied taste with slight fruitiness to it. Subtle chocolatey tones. CAn't taste the coffee aspect, but I have before in this brew. Less aftertaste than I have noticed before. Big take away from this tasting was the noticeable fruity notes that I couldn.t detect before. This has always been one of my most sought after beers, and I will continue drinking it, but my quest for the perfect beer must go on.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a nice amber brown with a tan head. Easy to see that it is clear. Standard doppelbock appearance.

Lots of toasty sweet breads in the nose.

Raisin bread dances on the palate washed over with a generous dollop of warming alcoholl. Lots of different but subtly sweet fruits are present. Huge grain character with very malty german barley. Hop bitterness is light and hop character is just mildly spicy. Finishes a tiny bit sweet and warm. Like biting into a huge loaf of freshly baked fruit bread that gets you toasted.

Thick bodied, just as it should be, with adequate carbonation to keep the flavors moving.

A fantastic doppelbock, for sure.

3.22/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance is brownish, black with hints of red showing through. The head is huge, sticky and milk chocolate colored.

The aroma is of super fermented malt.

Flavor is a complex blend of malts followed by a sugary sweetness. I think it tastes much better than it smells.

Moth feel is medium bodied and smooth.

An easily drinkable beer, but I would like to follow it with something different.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

The look of the bottle and label (and paraphernalia) is great. Raises the level of expectation.

The color of it is darkest brown walnut, with a fine, firm, dark tan head. The head lasts a long while and leaves lots of suds.

The nose is stewed fruit and chocolate in equal amounts; raisins, malted milk , and eventually a jot of funky cabbage. Really inviting, great combination of aromas. If there is any hop aroma, it's subtle and grassy.

The first creamy sip has roasted, almost burnt malt, dark and glorious. Sweet figs and orange peel; rhubarb and bitter cocoa. The finish is mildly fruity, but dry, and leads to a satisfyingly bitter dark fruit aftertaste.

It's ultra smooth and creamy, with fabulous foam and body. It ain't just hype or the power of suggestion, it's a wonderful doppelbock.

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Quite possibly my favorite overall beer.
I tried it about a year ago at Old Chicago and couldn't recall the name of it...until I saw some bottles with the trademark plastic goats hanging around the neck.
Looks dark...not quite murky, but like a cola but still very clean.
When you pour it, the head will stick around until it's finished.
Super-malty...unmatched in this regard, actually. I've tried hundreds of beers and I still haven't found a maltier brew than this one. I'd describe it as having a chocolate flavor, but with raisin and date highlights.
I can't say enough good things about this brew.
If you're a fan of doppelbocks or even just darker brews in general, this is a must have.

After drinking this brew many many more times, I have to say that this brew holds up to a changing palate amazingly well. I enjoy it now as much as the time when I first tried it...perhaps even more. While I've had 15-20 other doppelbocks that are all wonderful, only the Andechs and Korbinian can keep pace with Celebrator. The chocolate/raisin profile is unique and simply amazing. I think this beer is an easy candidate for the best overall in the world.

I was actually dissapointed in this brew. I figured that I would be a shoe in for someone that would enjoy a good doppelbock, but nope.. wasn't for me.

I really liked the way it looked int he glass with it's tall head and dark color. There's even a nice red hue when you hold it up to the light. Then I smelled it. It smells bitterish kind of like a beligum beer, but not really. I'm terrible at explaining scents, it just smelled off. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

Anyway, so I tasted the little thing :)

Little sour, little bitter. Malty, taste of oats and earth. Spicy aftertaste, warming.

I wasn't a fan, but I'm the vast majority, so who knows. Give it a shot.
I'll have to try another bottle in hopes that it'll be a little better.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Executive Summary: Just makes me feel German drinking it. Great flavor and wonderfully drinkable. Could, with a little help, throw Doppelbocks on the top of my favorite styles list.

Appearance: Deep, deep red. Lets very little light through. Khaki-colored head (actually, the color that comes to mind is "the insides of a Whopper" - the malted milk ball, not the burger).

Smell: Roasted something...nuts, perhaps? Some cocoa aroma in there as well.

Taste: Chewy and nutty, heavy on the malt; slightly sweet. No hint of alcohol in this one. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: A bit thinner than I expected, but real nice nonetheless. Carbonation is perfect.

Drinkability: I can just see myself at the local pub hoisting stein after stein of this stuff. Must...buy...a...case...

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%

12 oz bottle obtained from John's Grocery (Iowa City) and consumed a couple evenings later (June 2005). Pours a two-finger light brown head over a dark brown crystal clear liquid. Smells wafting up during the pour were sugar, caramel, toffee, and alcohol. To the nose I get a dry chalky malt, caramel, alcohol, and a hint of chocolate. Ho baby this tastes incredible. Overall, it's wet sweet with distinct caramel and so malty it tastes like barley grains. It starts with a slowly rising sweetness that ushers a sudden caramel zomp (yea, I said 'zomp'). Right after the caramel hits, there's a nice dry chocolate with hints of nutty. An alcohol sting plays quietly behind these candy flavors and is tamed by a sugary sweet. Oh, what a divine combination...each flavor works well with the others and is at an appropriate level to satisfy. After the swallow, the alcohol gets a bit strong (no surprise, that's usual) and the chocolate dries out a bit. I was hoping the aftertaste would hold a final transition to new flavors, but I didn't get that experience. The bock character is present, but not as strong as I would have liked. I won't detract from my scoring of the beer, as I know I like strong bock character (which wouldn't be to style). Medium-thick (almost thick) mouthfeel with mild carbonation. Dang, the head just broke leaving a bare spot on the surface. Last gulp, here I come.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Almost black, dark brown edges. Thick, tan rocky head pours out. Reduces to a thin collar that sticks a tiny bit to the glass.

Smell: Chocolate. Sweet Vidalia onion-I know weird but it reminds me of it. Also the smell of nuts.

Taste: Nutty Chocolate. Reminds me of the top of a nutty buddy ice cream cone or cracker jacks. A peanut flavor, like peanut-brittle. Tastes sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium to just a little full body. A hint of alcohol, but mostly the alcohol adds a little sweetness.

Drinkability: A good tasting and versatile brew. Not really a summer brew, but I'm not faulting it for the season. It has me looking forward to winter months.

Pours a decent reddish black color and has a thin tan head. My thoughts on the first sip are that it is a decent Doppelbock, but not nearly as good as it is commonly bragged up to be... It has a decent sweet malty aroma and a very sweet taste, burnt caramel and a roasted malt bite. Paulaner owns me in this category.

3.3/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours completely opaque -- which I expected. What I did not expect was a lack of head. I poured this baby into a chalice, and I was greated with a minimal short lived dark brown head that settled into a small island in the middle of the chalice with a ring around the edge.

The aroma of this brew is unusual to me. Granted, I am no expert of Doppelbock's, but this is definitely different. I'm not sure exactly what the smell is -- stale roasted peanut shells, maybe. But lighter. Yes, I am confused and the beer is right here in front of me.

The taste is interesting. Much lighter than a stout, which is what I was somewhat expecting to taste. Apparently, I should have less preconceived notions. In any event, the taste is not complex. It is straightfoward without much depth, to my palate.

There is little carbonation feel, and the density is light and floaty -- not milky or creamy on the tongue.

I have three more of these in the cellar. I will drink them at some point or trade them with some friends who have a higher apprectiation for this beer.

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

I think this beer is way overrated compared to other Ayinger brews. Looks beautiful, smells good, but the taste seems a bit odd. Maybe everybody just likes the pretty little necklaces on each bottle.

Pours to a dark and hazy nut brown color with a big and fluffy tan colored head. Looks good so far.

Has a very Bavarian aroma to it, if that means anything. A bit of a spicy hop bouqet combined with a grainy malt aroma. Smells quite enticing and refreshing, but the taste seems to let down on the promises of the appearance and smell.

Tastes sweet with a bit of caramel and a slightly roasted bitterness in the finish. I was hoping for more of a yeasty profile in the flavor, but all I seemed to be able to taste were the grains and hops (and a bit of ethanol). No estery or phenolic delights in this unfiltered brew.

The beer has a good body to it, but this can only entice the taste buds so much. Drinkability is average, but can be greatly increased when paired with a meal (I used this beer to marinate my roast last night. It was an expensive choice, but the best I've made so far).

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a rich, deep, thick brown body with ruby highlights. A dense, thick head with great retention and good lacing. Aroma of prunes, caramel, toasted malt and sweetness. Complex taste of sweet malt, caramel, toasted flavours and slight alcohol. Ends dry, sweet and very satisfying. Thick, smooth mouthfeel. Full bodied and extremely well crafted.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a deep dark black/brown, with a big fluffy offwhite head, that settles down with generous lacing. Smells earthy, dark malts, little sweet, dark fruits as well. Malt body really coats the tongue, dark cherries, molasses, sweet malt, irony taste. Full and creamy on the mouth, perfect carbonation levels, this is definately a world class brew!

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Wow. Just wow.
A: Deep brown in color with a ruby tinge to it. Head was huge and fluffy and tannish in color. Head stuck around for a while, no real lacing.

S: Strong maltiness through and through. Slight notes of chocolate, with just a whiff of a wine like aroma. No hop aroma.

T: Bliss. Chewy malt flavors dominate. Just a nice maltiness, malts are dark in character. There is a faint spiciness. Hop flavors are almost absent. There's a taste I can't quite place, maybe raisins or plums, not sure but it's nice.

M: Full and chewy in body. Mouthcoating without feeling syrupy. Carbonation is dead on and alcoholic warmth is wonderful.

D&N: Easily one of the finest beers I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. It's really hard to find fault anywhere with this beer. I'm no expert, but this one seems to be the standard of the style. Just an absolute pleasure to drink. Highest recommendations.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ring a ding ding. Whew. This beer pours a a deep lustrous brown, like Jaclyn Smith's hair back in the 70s. Foamy head and lacing, looks delicious (again, like J.S. in the 70s.) Smell is toasty sweet malt and molasses. Taste is even better. Roasted malt, coffee, and oh so smooth. Full-bodied and satisfying. I've had it on tap, but it was served too cold. This is outstanding.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

Presentation: Poured a near-black, extremely dark purple into my mug. A massive blooming head appeared, and it stayed around for quite a while. It showed off a light to moderate amount of carbonation. In the nose I caught scents of dark grape, as well as sweet malts with a bit of an acidic aroma.

Tasting: Malts, malts, malts. That's what you will find in this beer. A sweet, slightly alcohol-tinged flavor hits the front of the tongue, followed by a kick of roasted malt and chocolate-infused grape. This fits the Doppelbock style perfectly, and it was quite pleasant to drink. A medium-bodied beer with relatively low carbonation, its flavors dance across the tongue nicely.

I had this after my college graduation, and its name was very appropriate for the quality of the beer. I highly recommend this for anyone who wants to taste a great example of the style.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

This brew pours an ominous dark brown while creating a herculean head which sticks around throughout the drink.
Smell: molasses, raisins, grain and bread crust. Smells very earthy and natural.

This brew grows on you. The first taste is underwhelming. Subsequent tastes unleash a myriad of flavors which are subtle yet so complex. Biscuit like malts and mellow hops linger a bit after drinks, but definitely not an intrusive taste. Very well balanced. Not an in your face brew. Very drinkable, although the mouthfeel is a little resinous and chewy. Delicious. A good session beer in my opinion.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Huge 2-finger frothy tannish head on top of blackish beer with reddish tints. Some lacing going down with good web of lacing. Aromas of dark chocolate and cherry. Tastes were similar again with the cocoa powder with hints of coffee with little bitterness and some fruit especially dark cherry. Aftertaste is dry with sot of hot cocoa feel and slight bitterness. A great session beer. One of the best!

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Mmm. Pours inky black, with a thick tan head that diminishes into a thin covering on a rich dark beer. Slight red hues come through in the light.

The aroma is rich and complex. Sweet malts are tempered by soy sauce and dark caramelized sugar. Enticing. A touch of alcohol comes through as it warms.

Roast malts and charcoal. Sweet malts and dark dried fruits - raisins and currants. Very, very nice. Again, the alcohol becomes noticeable as it comes to ambient temperature.

It's a beautiful, slow-sipping beer. A deep, rich classic brew. Highly recommended.