Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - deep, opaque, that is reminiscent of cola in the glass. In the light it reveals a garnet color. Good carbonation streams around the edges.

S - heavy malt, raisins, toffee, dark roasted coffee, lingering sweetness

T - The flavors of the aforementioned aromas are what you first get followed by other complex layers of bread, and a slight hint of metal

M - great acidity, luscious, long finish with a very light hop bitterness on the end

O - I'm new to Doppelbocks, but this will not be my last. I feel I've set the bar too high as this is going to be hard to beat. This is very complex with layers of flavor that work in the mouth like an escalator; one after another. I can see how other say they could drink a ton of this. A definite must have in the cellar and a great change of pace beer!

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.01/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Dark brown, with dark ruby red around the edges. Thin head just off white. Head disappears quickly.

S - Smells wonderful. Distinctive, bright smell. Very sweet and malty with some dried fruit, raisins. Not smelling any hops.

T - Rich. Very similar to the nose, but just a little less exciting. A little sweeter. Malts, dried fruit, and some caramel sweetness. The aftertaste is dry, hoppy and slightly toasted.

M - Decent. Light bodied. Very smooth, light on carbonation.

O - An interesting, rich lager. Pleasant to drink, but for me it doesn't live up to the hype surrounding it.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have had this beer several times. My favorite part of this beer is the little goat that hangs on the side of the bottle. Not sure if he has a name, but he's cute! There are also goats on the label. Does anyone know the connection with goals the doppelbock style?

My palate has been out of sorts lately. I haven't been in the mood for a particular style in a few weeks, and nothing tastes good. Not that it doesn't taste good, but there are days where I am not even in the mood for a beer. Good thing I know what this tastes like, and know it will be an enjoyable experience. I can already smell the bready sweetness on this bottle as I was pouring it. Let's drink!

In the Glass: I remember this beer being dark, but not this dark. It is nearly black in the glass, and offers a nice thin tan head. The lace is nice and thick, too. I am sure this will, as it heats up, it will get better. But I KNOW it will be good from the first sip.

Nose: Lots of bread on the nose. The more I smell it the more malty flavors I am starting to pick up some dark chocolate, almost coffee notes after a few sniffs. The aroma is so powerful I can almost taste it as I smell. That is a sign of a good beer. Before I take my first sip, let me tell you… the beer looks creamy in the glass now. Maybe it is the way the light is hitting the head, but the beer looks even more inviting than normal. Maybe my desire for beer is coming back!

Flavor: Holy. Crap. This beer is SO SO SO good. I mean, great. I could seriously drink a gallon of this and be fine. Well, not fine… flavor wise, anyway. There are some nice layers of carbonation to start, then the dark bready flavors really shine through. Then, as you swallow, it turns somewhat sweet and finishes with a nice hoppy dryness. Think Irish stouts when without the metallic finish. The flavor here is just incredible. I bet this would make a good food beer, too. It is thick enough to be a meal all by itself. This is what beer should taste like. Bravo, Aying!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is thick and creamy with slight bubbles around the edge. I did swish a sip around in my mouth, and it did open up a little bit. Not too much, but the fluffy texture turned to bubbles. I rarely finish a glass before I am done writing, but this will be gone before I am finished. It is too good to let it heat up. Right out of the fridge and I am satisfied. Guys, this is one of the best beers I have tasted in weeks and I plan to make this the beer of the week next week at Total Wine & More. YUMMY!

Aftertaste: For a beer that has this much flavor, I expected the finish to be a bit more bold. The drying is nice, though. It lasts for a few minutes, but isn't as intense as the flavor profile here. I guess I will just have to take another drink. Hold on… be right back! Man, this just gets better with every sip. Maybe I have found a new love for doppelbocks.

This beer makes me want to celebrate!!! Get it? I doubt that is where the name comes from, but this is such a tasty beer, I might buy another one on my way home tonight. We are going to some grand opening somewhere… free appetizers and free drinks. Not sure what, but it should be fun. I don't even know what the place is called! Anyway, I am excited to try a new bar and hopefully they have some good cocktails available. If not, I will leave and find a bar offering Celebrator. CHEERS!