Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,293 | Hads: 5,948
4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

had this on tap at DELANEY'S tap room in new haven ct and it was great i have had this many times before but never on tap. less carbonated than the bottle but just as rich, malty and flavorful with a smooth mallow finish that made me have a second one

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Appears black as night, but when held to light, it reveals that it is really extremely dark brown. Smells of roasted malts, caramel, and a little coffee and citrus. Tastes very close to a stout, only with a thinner body. A flavor of coffee lingers when you are done with this beer. A very good beer, but not the best I have had.

3.81/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was super-psyched to see this on tap when I walked into the bar. As can be expected, expectation is the mother of all disappointments. While it was still very good, I definitely liked it better out of the bottle. Drafts alway have that certain intangible that bottled beers can't replicate, but it wasn't enough in this case. It just didn't wow me like the bottled version did. The beer still had a nice malty flavor, but there was an absent nuttiness. I would get this over most of the other beers at any bar; I just wish I could go back and not expect the world from it.

2.78/5  rDev -35.8%

Pours a beautiful deep dark brown with a nice big everlasting tan head. So very sweet to the tongue. So very malty, but where's the hop balance? Creamy, but too thin to be as smooth as I'd expected. Too sweet of abeer for me; certainly not the best doppelbock I've had. Hype!

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a huge head that resembles a yeasty bread dough. Ready to "punch down" it's so fill of air and bubbles. The aroma of malt is as heavy as you will find in a bier.

This bier epitomizes a Dopplebock. The malt flavor is strong but not too sticky. Not as syrupy as some. Smooth in it's own way.

Chewy and delicious.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh, man! Truly deserving of it's top rating, IMHO.

It poured a dark maroon, almost black, with a huge fluffy tan head. Aromas were malt and caramel. Tastes were malt, caramel, raisin, currant, alcohol, and mild grapefruit. Very creamy mouthfeel, I've had stouts that would kill to be this smooth and creamy. It finished smooth and dry, with a mild grapefruit tang.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Outstanding doppelbock from Ayinger.

Poured nicely, viscous and with a creamy, brownish head. Body was nearly opaque. This lager smelled terrific, with a multi-grain sweet influence, as well as smokey. I detect a hop presence in the nose, but it really is overshadowed by the complexity of the malts.

Initial taste was clean, but with a darn good malty, sweet taste (but not artificially sugary). It also finished clean, as a typical Bavarian brew, but with residual sugars that like to stick to the back of the tongue, and the roof of the palate. Mmmm!

This is THE beer to drink when the weather's cold and damp, when summer looks far, far away, but there's a log on the fire, a good book in the other hand, and you're gratetful for being alive! Prost!

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

330 ml bottle, “6,7 % abv” let sit for 10 min to bring to around 45(ish) F. Some scoring of the bottom edge of the label. Don’t know if this is some sort of coded date or what. Poured into a oversized pils bubble glass.

Ayinger has become my favorite German producer that has a wide variety of styles, that I can find in these parts. So after a year or more of loveing up the Ur-Weisse, Dunkel & Kellerbier, it seems odd that I am just now getting around to trying there number one reviewed selection & one that I seem to have known by reputation for years at that.

Shows up as a dark roasted amber color, with shades of rose & deep maple tones. Healthy pillowed foamy head settles in. Certainly strikes a serious & stately appearance.

The abv & rich malt are very apparent in the nose up front. Sweet peppery wood & beef hints develop nicely as things move along.

Malt happiness fills the pallet at once. Mega luscious autumn squash, caramelized nut, earthy warmth all over the tongue. Slides into an equally balanced & rich hop bitter further on. Ends with perhaps just a bit of a sour tang, though if someone were to call this ‘skunky’ I might have to um… have some ‘words’ with the fellow.

Mouth feel is crisp & lively, keeping the flavor & aroma moving around on the pallet nicely. Slight hanging taste but nothing that another sip wont take care of. I could probably keep drinking this as far into the evening as I could afford.

The head dosn't stick around as long as I would like, & the abv is a lingering presence (7% me arse) but all in all, I would have to say the best double bock I have ever had. I don’t know if it will consistently be worth the $15/6 reputation its got around the tragically few shops that carry this jewel of a brew, but it is truly a lovely encounter.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

In a Fin Du Monde tulip. It's very dark brown with a huge frothy tan head, slowly, but steadily diminishing though. Aroma is not as intense as I thought, but definitely complex and appealing with its chocolate and numerous fruits notes. Now that's malty. This beer is as complex as any other beer. Period. Rich roasty black chocolate, some caramel, lots of plum esters, blue grapes, cherries, pecans, coffee, yum yum, butter notes as well as robust earthiness every couple of sips (sometimes, the malt reminded me of Rogue Hazelnut Brown nectar). The palate is as good as it gets, thick, full, round, velvety. Long aftertaste once it warmed a bit that varies from a sip to the other, once it will be the dark chocolate, the other time it will be the roastiness and next time you'll remember those juicy plums, subtly bitter at times. In my eyes, it's fully worthy of these high ratings. That's precisely the type of beers I adore, a big malty phenomenon with a body to back it up. Only critic I'd adress it is the palate fatigue (or I just want the moment to last forever) I get after just one bottle, maybe the sweetness is too much although I never found it stickingly cloying, I wouldn't have two in a row, hell I'd never deserve two i a row! Glad I've got another one of this rare treat. Thanks to both Erics!

3.6/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Deep, dark brown with ruby highlights, capped by a massive, light brown, lumpy head that recedes relatively quickly to a thin, covering film. Not much in the way of lace. The aroma is predominantly of coffee and dark dried fruits (raisins, prunes and dates). It isn't as complex as expected, but is appetizing nonetheless.

The flavor is malty sweet, with molasses and coffee at the head of the line. Some alcohol is evident; surprising since the ABV is only 6.7%. I noted a slight metallic taste with the first few sips, but it faded soon thereafter.

The mouthfeel isn't bad, but isn't all that wonderful either. I was expecting more smooth creaminess, but didn't get it. Drinkability is good.

Celebrator is my first doppelbock so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Given the high ratings, I expected to like it more than I did. Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer, but it didn't come close to knocking my socks off. I do like the little goat charm though. Nice touch.

Celebrator...I've waited a long time to try my first doppelbock, and I might as well start with the best...

Poured a dark, dark, DARK chestnut, with ruby tones reflecting light. A strong two-finger head quickly died down to a thin layer of foam. First deep breath revealed a touch of caramel and some spices. Taste was rich and malty, with the same caramel and a nice complexity of spices as well as a roasted edge that's so palpable its almost chewy. Definitely strong on the caramel, though.

This felt a lot lighter and easier to drink than its flavor and complexion would have you believe. I usually don't like brews this soft and malty, but this is good--no wonder it's legendary. Still, and I hate to say it, but to me this is a very good but not great beer--but that's more to do with personal preference than the quality of Celebrator, which I can definitely appreciate even if it isn't my style. My tastes wouldn't stop me from recommending this to anyone, especially if you like stuff along these lines (that means you, Joj and Erti).

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a dark, almost ebony brown with a few streamers of lazily drifting bubbles. Two fingers of foam quickly dies down to a thin, dense, and tiny-beaded head of a dirty tan color that does not cling. Garnet translucence around edges of glass when held to light. Hard to smell from a distance, but when nose goes up to glass--wow... an actual tactile, mallowy sensation in the nose, like plowing nose into a thick, rising pillow of molasses, gingerbread, baking spices. Dense, complex, inviting. Flavor is equally complex: starts with rush of sweet malt; seamlessly melds into a midpalate of nutmeg, allspice, clove (?), touch of molasses... liquid gingersnaps! Develops still further into figs, golden raisins, more molasses; allusions to the darkest of Jamaican rums in a warm, soft, dry alcohol finish. Mouthfeel is outstanding, with the same mallow quality as detected in the aroma; soft, velvet smooth. You barely have to swallow. Drinkability is high, but this beer is so nuanced that having more than one would almost be overkill... Perfect beer to pass a chilly, blustery night at home, and damn near perfect in all other regards as well. Damn near perfect.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a gorgeous dark chestnut/ruby color with a thich creamy tan head that stays around for quite a while. Roasted malt aroma with chocolate, dark fruits and a subtle spiciness.
Rich sweet roasted malty chocolate/coffee taste with red fruit, a bit of molasses and perhaps a hint of licorice. Finishes with some spice and slightly yeasty.
Nice full rich mouthfeel with good carbonation that makes it very drinkable for such a big beer.
Great beer and deserving of the "benchmark for the style" reputation.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a nearly opaque brown with lots and lots of tan head. Smells very earthy with some plum. Looks very pretty sitting in that pint glass.

The taste is hard to bring to words. It's a huge chewy bite of fruity fermentation goodness. You get a big rush of plum and grape with some wonderful subtle nutty and coffee undertones. It's an exceedingly complex and well balanced beer. It's such a big beer that I think it takes away from it's drinkability somewhat, but one or two is probably all you need.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Burned sugar and chocolate aroma.
Black redness, creamy brown head with lace clinging to the glass.
Toffee, chocolate and espresso flavors, yet wiyh a inexplicable freshness on the tip of the tongue.
long lingering sticky sweetness.
Like eating sirup with spoons - in a good way.

This is with out a doubt the quintessential dopplebock that all others should be judged against. The color and pour were great, with a great off white head and a nice mahogony brown color. The smell was all malt with a bit of a brown ale smell to it as well. The taste reminded me a lot of a nut brown but with an even more pronounced malt character and a hint of spice in there too. As far as dopplebocks go this is the best I've ever had....and it even came with a plastic goat!

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

How can you not love a brew that comes with a goat charm! I first tried one of these a couple weeks ago, and made a 6 hour roundtrip drive last weekend to find some more. Removed the goat charm and stored it away. My ladyfriend says she's going to make me a necklace out of these. Pours a rich dark mahogany with a beautiful thick head. OOH, that smell. Fresh English toffee, caramel, and nice malts dominate. Feels euphoric in the mouth, and so drinkable. I love this stuff. As it warms in the glass it even tastes nutritious. Aftertaste is just as pleasant as the rest of its fine qualities. Can't wait to wear the necklace. Top Three for sure!

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: This is a beautiful ale! Dark cherry/mahogany body. Lush, 3-finger, tan pillow-head that seems to last forever and lace all over the place.
Smell: Sweet malt, molasses, caramel. Fresh, energizing, bready nose.
Taste & Mouthfeel: Thick, lush, knife-and-fork chewyness. Sweet (but not as cloying as some other doppels), creamy, followed by semi-dry finish. Alcohol hangs back in the taste/mouth, but sneaks up later in the overall "experience."
Drinkability: A stellar brew, worthy of it's BA ranking (sets the standard for its style IMO). I find the combination of sweetness and ABV (in general) to be formidable for extended sessions. Make sure I always have a bottle or two of this around when in need of a cheer-me-up. This is one of the beers that originally hooked me on micros.

in the low light the beer appeared straight black, with a minimal head, but good, brownish, clingy lace.

brown sugar and caramel in the nose, with some faint chocolate notes, and bafflingly, a hint of old, dusty books(!).

moderately thick mouthfeel. not too thick, not too thin. any thicker and the brew would be far less drinkable.

initial flavors of clean malt, sugary and syrupy, followed by molasses and caro syrup, and ending with a faint burnt sugar in the background. no real hop presence to speak of.

i prefer balanced beers, but doppelbocks aren't supposed to be balanced, and the heavy malt flavors were appropriate for the style. that said, i don't anticipate going back for another anytime soon. lagers can sometimes be a bit too linear for me; i prefer the layered complexity of ales. but this is not a suggestion that the celebrator is of inferior quality; it's just my subjective preferences coming through. the beer is highly drinkable ... if you're only having one. any more than that and i suspect the malt would become far too cloying.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Coca-cola-colored doppelbock with a small lacy head. Sharp but heavy taste of sweet molasses-like thickness. Solid standard malty Dopplebock. A wonderful taste, really. The standard for doppelbock comparisons, though it's not as good as the heavenly doppel from Andechs...one of the best beers on this wonderful earth.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

I tend to find myself at Ludwig's Garten quite often for those German draught beers. The Celebrator is one that they rotate often. They had it last week when I made my last visit. The bartender brought me my half litre. The dark copper hue was apparent as enough daylight poured through the window of the bar.

There is a bit of butteriness in the nose. It has a sweetish caramel aroma that entices the drinker. I slowly take a few sips and notice a better than expected balance to the beer. The malts give it a sweet nuance but the hops are also noticable. The beer is full bodied but not too heavy as to discourage consumption. It would be easy to drink a few of these guys. I don't like this as much as Salvator or Maximator but it's still a treat whenever I find it on draft.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An awesome doppelbock that looks good and tastes good too. The body is a very deep red-hued bronze that sports an incredible head of tan foam The head is fairly retentive and is tightly built foam that laces well on the glass.

The nose is fruity and gives some plum sense along with a full complement of malt and spice. The feel is full and thick with a long lasting aftertaste. If this beer has a shortcoming it is the slight grassy flavor that comes early in the taste.

3.52/5  rDev -18.7%

Appearance: It poured a very deep Ruby Red color. Looks almost black. It had a huge beautiful head that lasted a while. it settled to a thin layer of foam with a beautiful lace.

Smell: Sweet with a little spiciness and hops. There is a musty smell to it that isn't that pleasant.

Taste: There is some prune flavor in there. A lot of malty sweetness with a little bit of a hop bite. Alcohol is present even though it is only 6.7

Mouthfeel: Very thick and meaty. Very nice carbonation. As mentioned by many, you almost need a knife and fork with this beer.

Drinkability: Very thick and full. Probably would not be able to have more than two of these per setting.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours just beautifully with a fully retentive tan head floating above a very dark, but fairly clear body. Smells of roasted caramel malts, a bit of banana, and subtle, fruity nuances. The taste is a bit more roasted, with the malt not quite as strong. Molasses is prominent. Bold, but not overpowering. Very complex flavor with many subtle, indistinguishable flavors that produce more a general feel than they do individual qualities. The hops are present but underlining, and I think are a unique blend that provides the fruity flavor. The mouthfeel is simply perfect. Carbonated to give a nice, happy kick, but not vigorous. The only criticism I can give this beer is that it does not provide the bocky wheat flavor. A wonderful brew. I dont generally care for Ayingers but this is definitely among my favorite beers.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours out dark and lucious with a thick head packed tight with tiny bubbles. The aroma is dominated with fruit and chocolate. The taste is ruled by sweet and smooth malt. Low carbonation adds to the velvety smooth mouthfeel. The finish is tart and sticky.