Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass

A- Poured a nearly black color with a quickly dissipating 1/8" light tan head. Almost no Lacing left behind.

S- Ripe bananas and cloves. Toasty malt and bread.

T- Toasted malt and woody. Clove and nutmeg spice blended very nicely with the presence of alcohol. Alcohol bite not overwhemling by any means.

M- Malt is smooth as it hits the palate. Creamy, fluffy, chewy. A pleasure to drink. Hidden carbonation appears in the mouth to create a wonderful experience.

D- Very drinkable beer that just feels good to drink. A comparatively simple beer that just goes down well. Its smooth texture mixed with its fragrant aroma make this beer excel above the rest.

SFBeerGuy, May 11, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

A: This beer pours a dark, almost opaque amber brown with a small layer of tan head. Looks to be a pretty heavy beer, a little syrupy. Not much lacing, foam dissipates and turns sticky instead of retaining its bubbles.

S: The aroma is bittersweet; roasted malts dominate primarily, but it's more complex than that. In the back, there is caramel, molasses, dark fruits and chocolate. A very small amount of carbonation and alcohol lingers in there as well.

T: This is a great doppelbock, perhaps one of the best; certainly one of the best I've tried. Packed with roasted malts, it comes off as semi-sweet, balanced out by a dark chocolate and coffee flavor. My first sip almost tasted like barbecued ribs, but once it warmed up it was easier to distinguish notes. Aside from the prominence of the roasted malt, there is also dark chocolate, coffee, molasses, caramel, dark fruits (figs, prunes)... there are some other spices in here I can't identify. The BBQ flavor still lingers in there a bit.

M: The mouthfeel of this beer is slightly syrupy. It definitely helps to distinguish its complexity and stays around on the tongue for awhile. I would say this is a medium to heavy bodied beer; leaning more towards heavy as it warms up.

D: While this beer is very complex and very tasty, I don't think I'd be able to have more than a few of them, they are rather filling. That said, it is very easy to drink but too good of a beer to be gulped, it must be savored. Overall very pleased by this doppelbock, look forward to drinking it again!

kflorence, May 10, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a clear mahogany color. The head is fizzy at first but recedes quickly into nothing, with no lacing left behind.

S: Tons of toasted malt, coffee, figs.

T: Following the nose, has a strong backbone of toasted malt. Has a slightly bitter character by the coffee, with some roasted malt presence that is nicely complemented by a fig finish.

M: Light-to-medium bodied, with medium carbonation that works well for the style. Aftertaste leans toward bitter.

D: An oustanding doppelbock, and one of the best I've had in the style.

Arbitrator, May 10, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Dark brown mohogany color with a decent head

Smell: Sweet but also a bit spicy with a faint smell of molasses. malt and caramel.

Taste: Sweet taste of malt, molasses and toasted malt. Just the right amount of hops to help it end with a slight spice flavor.

A very good beer which I would highly recommend. Go out and buy it!

rwrk42, May 08, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Dark with a mahogony or kola tint up close but mistakeable for black at a distance. Fairly average tan fizzy head has little retention and no more than a hint of lacing.

S: Delicious malts form a great variety here. Roasted barley, coffee, figs, and a twinge of rustic dryness.

T: A fine balance between sweet caramel with a dry bite of roasted coffee and bittering hops. A touch of figs. Little yeastiness compared to some other traditional German doppelbocks, in a good way for me.

M: Moderately thick and very smooth feel. Goes great with the taste. Maybe a tad bubbly.

D: Damn tasty. Easily among my favorite lagers. It could easily be better if bottle conditioned, but damn this is tasty. Six pack is atrractive, just too bad it will run twenty bones. Nonetheless, exceptionally drinkable.

vacax, May 07, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this delicious brew from the bottle into a .3L Celebrator Dobbelbock specialty glass. Pours the color of Coca Cola - black with the slightest hint of dark brown in the light. Tan head that disappeared rather quickly.

Good mouthfeel. With a beer this dark you just expect a creamier mouth feel, but still good nonetheless. Not a whole lot of aroma, but wow, what a taste. Malty, coffee, dark chocolate, burnt caramel but not overly sugary. A smooth finish with a hint of bitterness.

My tip, let the beer warm slightly. Not room temperature, but definitely not straight from the fridge. It really helps the complexity of this beer stand out. And let's face it, if you can get a Ayinger Celebrator specialty glass, it definitely tastes better.

EDIT: I let this warm pretty significantly and the taste just became incredibly complex and the mouthfeel changed substantially. It was almost syrup like and the flavors you needed to flesh out before just hit you over the head. Great stuff.

benwah22, May 05, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, high carbonation, dark brown

Smell: sweet toasted malt, caramel, and coffee

Taste: sweet toasted malt, caramel, licorice, some smoke, and coffee

Mouthfeel: smooth, light, sweet, with a slightly bitter aftertaste

Drinkability: One of the best in the style, if not the best. With its relatively low ABV I could have several. The alcohol is not noticable. This beer is elegant and one of the first I will reach for in the style.

tigg924, May 02, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -33.6%

Cool bottle with a white plastic goat hanging off of it. Poured into my snifter.

It pours a thick-looking reddish-brown (maroon?) and it had a big tan head on it. It looks pretty damn appetizing - if dense and brown are appetizing to you.

The smell was the first cause for let down. I got almost nothing from taking a few whiffs of this one. Some bread and very toasty malts. And... that's pretty much it. It smells like a beer but there is no spiciness and it doesn't smell as dark as it appears to be.

The taste is better with some big time malts and flavorful sugary fruit essence mixed in for good measure. Not much in the way of hop bitterness to balance it out, I thought. Slight chocolate undertone... I'll try this again someday to try and pick out the intricacies. Not very robust... Still, a nice tasting dopplebock.

There is medium carbonation and a medium body. A little sweet stickiness/creaminess.

I didn't want want another one after this. It feels thick in one's stomach and although this is a creamy beer, I did not cream myself over it. I'll have to try it again sometime though just to see what all the fuss is about.

Gigantis, Apr 29, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Deep brown, almost black pour into a nonic pub glass with a tan head that leaves a thick lace. Theres some chocolate malt in there for certain, it comes out big time on the nose. Also some flowery kinda hops smells. It tastes big and malty, with roasted flavors and first and then straight chocolate at the end. It has more of a hop presence than I expected, and this cleans up the sugars nice. As it warms a bit the chocolate may over power it more than I'd like. Anyway, pretty great beer. I think I may like some American microbrews interpretation of this style a little more but who cares really.

drunkboxer1, Apr 27, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -9%

Had to give this a try after reading the reviews here. Found it with little effort at a local wine emporium. Tad expensive, but good beer worth it.

Poured into a chilled pint glass.

A: Dark brown with a good bit of head on it. Head disappeared fairly rapidly

S: At first, the typical "lager-y" scents, then a bit of the caramel and fruityness began to arrive. The fruityness increased as the beer warmed.

T: Nice malty blast. Maybe a teeny bit over-roasted though. That bitterness subsided with each sip. Became more balanced as the glass emptied.

M: Thick-ish but not bread-like. A bit of carbonation evident.

D: Serious innard-warmer here. Not something for everyday consumption though. A special occasion beer perhaps?

sourdoughsteve, Apr 22, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. There is no freshness date on the bottle, but that doesn't matter because this is one of the coolest bottles I've ever seen. The old-world style label, the dominant use of white for a clean look, and the nifty little goat charm make this beers packaging a winner. Appearance is based on the look of the beer in a glass, however, so let's get to it. This beer pours a dark, cola brown color with ruby red highlights and is a shade or two darker than the Thomas Creek Deep Water Doppelbock I had earlier today. A fairly vigorous pour yields a soft, fluffy, two-fingered head that is a lovely medium brown color, perhaps a few shades darker than a pair of khaki pants. The head gradually fades to a light film covering the surface of the beer, and it leaves a small amount of Belgian lace behind on the sides of the glass.

Smell: The nose of this beer has an absolute mountain of very sweet malt in it; the kind of extra sweet smell that a Scotch Ale has. There are also hints of caramel, dark fruit, and perhaps a bit of chocolate, but the sweet malt is so overpowering that it's hard to pick these up. There are no roasted malt aromas, no hop aroma, and no alcohol presence, and this nose is spot on for a Doppelbock.

Taste: I don't have much to base my review on for how a Doppelbock is supposed to taste, only the Thomas Creek beer that I had earlier today and what the BJCP guidelines tell me. Right from the start, however, I can firmly say that this beer is much better than the Thomas Creek Deep Water Doppelbock. As in the nose this beer begins with a delicious sweet malt flavor that dominates the palate, but there are also notes of sweet milk chocolate, coffee with milk, and perhaps a bit of molasses and anise. These flavors are pretty dominant throughout, but the finish does bring a hint of smokiness, a slight leafy hop flavor, a bit of fig, and a slight drying effect to the table.

Mouthfeel: I think the best words to describe the mouthfeel of Celebrator are soft and gentle. While some beers seem rough, biting, or even like they bruise the tongue, this beer seems to roll on and off the tongue, gently caressing the cavities of the mouth. Medium-full bodied, low carbonation, and very, very smooth without even a hint of harshness or astringency.

Drinkability: All of the beers from Brauerei Aying that I've tasted have been exceptionally drinkable, and their Doppelbock is no exception. This beer is perhaps a bit too sweet for me to drink more than one of (unless I were drinking it with food, which as I type this I'm really craving some cheese or a steak to pair this with), but I'm having no trouble disposing of these twelve ounces. Would I drink this again? Easily. Would I buy this again? Oh yeah.

Notes: My first high quality Doppelbock, I was very impressed with all facets of this beer. I'm really anxious to try some more Doppelbocks after this one, mainly the Paulaner Salvator and the Victory St. Victorious. Considering the fact that these beers have a long history of being great seasonals for the spring time, I'll hopefully be picking some more up on my next trip to the store. Celebrator Doppelbock has given me a lot to celebrate about, and for that I give much thanks to the little town of Aying.

johnmichael712, Apr 21, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a beautiful deep brown with a hint of gloss black. Thick tan head dissipated quickly. Smells of sour malts and sweet flowing fields of grain. Tastes very malty and chocolatey, mouthfeel is full to the brim. Drinkability is high, I wish I would have bought the four-pack instead of just a single.

merryjoulton, Apr 20, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -34.3%

poured into a trappist glass

looks like: coke with foam

smells like: sour grapes, stings the nostrils

tastes like: citrusy malt

feels like: back of the teeth feel weird

drinks like: smooth and easy but heavy on the stomach

i was expecting a whole lot more out of this one, very average to me but i expected a few distinct falvours rather than a ton of subtle notes. the amazing thing is how hidden the alcohol is until it hits the stomach. its a good tummy warmer.

the smell and taste reminds me of ham and cabbage.

Jtschupp04, Apr 19, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -22.8%

Bocks to me are just...eh, bleh. They aren't bad but I have never been truly impressed with them. I have never had an "A" graded bock so when I found "Ayinger Celebrator" I was curious. I wasn't sure if I was willing to pay $12.40 for a four pack of beer, especially for a bock. I have no problem throwing that money down for an four-pack, or even a single 22oz, of Imperial Stout but I just can't imagine paying that much for something with such little alcohol content and flavor.

I figure if this brew has such a good reputation, it must be worth trying it at least once. I just hope I don't get let down. Seeing the goats on the bottle reminded me of "Beerfest." "If you can drink Ram's piss, you can drink anything!"

Appearance: Poured a dark, filtered, cola brown with a dense of white head with moderate little, to light, retention and about the same for the lacing. The froth left on the side quickly dissipated and slide off the walls of my pint cup fairly quick. Not impressed.

Smell: The nose is pretty light and crisp with some earthy tones and bitter maltiness hidden in there. The brew is not very aromatic or impressive.

Taste: Bitter malty sweetness in the beginning that moves in to a subtle vortex of complexity. Hints of vanilla, chocolate, and fruit are subtle but still present. Light, malty, vanilla-like, bitter-sweetness lingers on for a bit after each gulp.

Mouthfeel: The medium body and low, yet smooth, carbonation really the brew go down easy.

Drinkability: In terms of alcohol content and flavor, its not worth a second try. I have another three from the four pack and I think that is going to be it for me. The brew itself is drinkable but it doesn't have a unique bite, nor is it high in alcohol. There really isn't any reason why I would buy this again.

Samuel Adam's had a lot more flavor, alcohol, and was cheaper. Plus I got twice as drunk for 3% less. Boo to Celebrator!

Germany aint got shit on American brewing!

Cheers!

-James

dotsonjamesg, Apr 19, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

i dont know how i never rated this beer, this was the first "exotic" beer i ever tried. smell is good, has a nice malty chocolate aroma to it. taste is good, a warm inviting chocolately flavor is dominate, this is a beer best for a cold night for sure, but it is still a wonderful beer. mouthfeel is very good too, rich and full, very good beer all around

1fastz28, Apr 19, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Pitch black with a dark tan head that feeds quickly

S - Roasty nuances, not much going on for me

T - Slightly roasty with a balanced almost wheat-like flavor. Tons of depth.

M - Medium-heavy carbonation and medium in body

D - Refreshing and full of flavor. Great balance.

Martin2D, Apr 18, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +3%

I can't believe I have never reviewed this classic. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I had it. The price is a bit of a deterrent though, I paid $4 for this 330 ml bottle...

Pours a dark cola brown color with a nice white bubbly head.

Aromas are of light toast, nuts, cream, and brown sugars. This is a very pleasant beer to smell...

Taste is sweet, dark, and creamy. Lots of interesting malt flavors going on, cola, nuts, brown sugar, molasses, and a really light soy flavor as well. Very complex beer, with a crisp and dry finish.

Nice full mouthfeel, a little chewy, but overly so. Feels soft, yet thick.

Drinkability is very good. What a nice beer to sip.. I have a feeling this one will disappear from the glass rather quickly.

flexabull, Apr 10, 2009

Served in tall flute

A: tan silky head and crystal clear dark walnut colored body. A beauty to behold

S: rich smoky notes and malt

T: sweet malt and caramel with toffee, some bitterness, some coffee notes in the late background

M: rich soft smooth and full

D: very, wonderful flavor, feel and balance. Sir may I please have another.

Naugled, Apr 09, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into a pilsner. Very attractive beer- bordering between burgundy and mahogany. Thin, white head that slowly thins out.
Smell up front is very malty and smokey. A certain malty sweetness, almost of maple syrup, is present. Yet perhaps some bbq meat underneath as well. Odd mixture I know, but it's definitely inviting.
Tastes is meaty and malty. Same malty sweetness in the taste. Little bit of smokiness as well.
Mouthfeel is fine- very slightly watery, and fairly crisp. Slight bitter finish.
Decent drinkability. I probably wouldn't prefer more than two of these in one sitting.

WilliamD, Apr 09, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Celebrator, when poured slightly vigorously, produces a good two finger thick head from its 12oz bottle. The body is nearly black, but shows off hues of ruby red when held up to sunlight.

The aromas given off are of metallic/copperish kind of aroma. There is also a cola like sweetness in the aroma too.

This brew is very robust and full of flavor. The taste is sweet, but actually has a coffee and slight chocolate flavor to it.

Mouth feel wise Celebrator is a bit thick and full bodied. There is a slick feel to it, and a mild warming effect in the end.

Overall this is one of the most complex doppelbocks I've ever had. Rich and full of character, this is a slow sipper for sure.

TheSarge, Apr 08, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

This is a very tasty doppelbock that's also very mellow and easy to drink.

Almost black, it has a very large light brown head very slowly shrinking.

The aroma is rich prune, raisins, sweet brown bread, bread cruast, hints of dark rum.

The taste is rich, dark toasted brown bread, molasses cake, prunes, winey prunes and raisins, faintly rummy and with a hint of coffee. It's generally sweet with with very faint bitterness and spiciness. The feel is rich and smooth and it's very smooth and easy to drink.

Offa, Apr 06, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a dirt brown with a massive tan head. Getting bits of toasted spices in the nose, some molasses and brown sugar too? Tastes like toasty almonds, some molasses, brown sugar, fig, dates, big breadiness. Very complex and lovely. Feels creamy on the mouth. I want to drink this full-time.

youngblood, Apr 06, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a brown with red hues and a nice off white/light tan head with a little lacing.

Great toasted malt aromas, sugary and bready notes.

Really great flavors here without going over the top. Big rich malt, dark dried fruit, brown bread, bunch of brown sugar and a decent touch of molasses. Rich, complex, but no off or overboard lingering flavors. Alcohol is not even a factor - I never sensed it.

Mouth filling, with moderate carbonation.

Overall, this is a real keeper. Sugars were there, but kept in check. Alcohol was there, but kept in check. Finish was great, with some lingering sweetness, but nothing cloying or overdone. A terrific example of the style.

OtherShoe2, Apr 06, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

I decided I needed to do myself a service and try one of the most celebrated beers in the world. I was determined not to come to a decision before I finished it or based on other peoples' opinions. This is the result.

The look is incredible. The head pours several fingers and just sits there. When it diminishes, it's to a fat pillow of at least two fingers. It just doesn't go away. Ever. Lacing is left all over the place. The color is nearly black and shines a rich, deep brown with red tint in the light.
The complexity of the aroma adds to its appeal. Heavy malt with typical caramel, molasses and licorice notes takes up the forefront with a biscuity tone and some herbal, earthy hops teasing.
The taste is just as complex; everything you expect from the malt with a little spicy bite and earthy hops. A nice flavor of toasted grains rounds it out for excellent balance.
The mouthfeel is everything I dreamed. Thick and creamy as could be expected with a nice smoothness. Carbonation is lively but not heavy. It's complimentary rather than oppositional.
As far as drink ability goes, I don't know why you'd want only one of these at a time.

Love the goat.

Brenden, Apr 05, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 33cl bottle from Redmonds in Dublin.

Very dark brown appearance with some ruby hints here and there-very little lacing and head.

Smell is mixture of brown sugar, malts, chocolate and spicey bread. It's a nice mix.

Tastes like it smells-a nice mix of flavors that is complex and changes throughout each sip. Overall it is well balanced in its mix of tastes I think and not too overwhelming.

Very smooth for the amount of taste that is going on.

I only bought one so that is where I stopped, but I'd consider having more than one of these in a session even with the 6.7% ABV. I'll definitely try to get my hands on one of these again and recommend it to others.

jspruit, Apr 04, 2009