Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
blackheartbilly

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

I am new to Doppelbock, and the $12 4-pack was a little steep, but I assumed it was good, because the other Ayinger I have tried were. That being said:

Appearence: I opened the bottle and foam shot out over the top. Roudh car ride maybe? Poured into a pint glass, it had a large head that I let settle in the fridge. It was dark but when I held it up to the light it appeared to have a reddish hue to it.

Smell: Was great! I love malt and this beer screamed extra malt.

Taste: Good, I found the alcohol to be a little intrusive, maybe overshadowing the malt that I love. I am new to this style, and while I like it, this didn't really impress me, as in I wouldn't pay the $12 bucks for a 4-pack.

Mouthfeel: Was sharp to the tongue but not sure if it was acidic or carbonation.

Drinkability: I wouldn't make this a session beer, but not bad with a light dinner, maybe chicken or a salad. I am guessing that this is a good example of the style but maybe not the best.
cheers guys!

07-10-2007 20:05:31 | More by blackheartbilly
Blupoet03

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

This beer poured very dark with no head into a snifter. (I was able to raise a frothy tan head on the second glass - but it didn't linger) It gave chocolate, oats, coffee, and malt aromatics and went down silkily smooth.

This beer has a low carbonation and high drinkability. Once in your mouth, earthy and bitter tastes come forward and move into the aftertaste - with a bite of alcohol at the end.

I am new to the Doppelbock style, so I cannot compare it to its kindred. As a stand-alone example, I was very pleased.

07-08-2007 14:12:26 | More by Blupoet03
TuckerCarlson

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

My imperial pint glass is Ayinger-branded, so I figure I ought to try their flagship beer. Otherwise I'd be, like, a total poseur.

Very dark, mostly opaque. Shows through a semi-clear ruby (kind of a redder version of cola) when held direct to light. Finger and-a-half of tan head that goes away quickly, leaving a thin layer of foam on top. Not much lacing.

Brown sugary, coffee smell with something funky and maybe slightly herbal underneath

Wow, I was expecting cloying sweetness (the couple of dopplebocks I've had before had that unflattering characteristic), but each mouthful is incredibly complex. I'm totally going to miss some flavors here, but there's sweet toffee right off the bat, transitioning into some even darker coffee flavors, then a touch of that herbal (maybe not herbal; earthy?) stuff as it dries out, and just a little bit of funky sourness at the end. Nice clean finish that sticks with you. Definite coffee and something that reminds me of Ron de Barrilito Tres Estrellas, a high-quality Puerto Rican rum.

Medium to light thickness with moderate to light carbonation. The lighter carbonation is a bonus; I'm sure too much fizz would kill the flavor.

Very drinkable. It goes down easy, but its complexity demands your attention. Definitely worth trying, and a great beer to give to anyone who claims not to like lagers.

07-07-2007 01:56:23 | More by TuckerCarlson
boelker62

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured a creamy, off-white, but mostly-diminishing head atop a beautifully deep, oily hued combination of amber and reddish-brown. The smell is purely, and of pure grains and cereals. Really, a wonderful presentation of the style. Deep color and deep aroma. All this before the first sip, I can't wait. A light hoppy tinge is another enticing factor to this one.

The initial flavor is slightly sweet, with the grains and malts really plotting themselves firmly on your palate. A slightly acidic warmth is present as well.

This is a great shining example of what this style is to be. The mouthfeel is a medium body, and a medium-length finish.

This is the best of any bock or doppelbock I have ever had. It has convinced me to expand myself away from ales more.

07-05-2007 14:21:04 | More by boelker62
woemad

Washington

3.48/5  rDev -19.8%

From notes written a couple of weeks ago:

11.2oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $2.99. I picked it up because I hadn't had this beer for some time and was amazed to discover I'd never reviewed it.

Poured a super dark brown that took on a very slight ruby hue when held to the light. Decent sized tan head that dropped after a couple of minutes. Modest sheets of lace that slide down the sides of my pintglass quickly.

The nose is of molasses and mildly bitter chocolate. Not a whole lot else going on. Seems a little subdued for a doppelbock.

The sense of something that's a little too sedate for it's own good continues to the taste. The taste is mildly chocolaty, with a little balancing bitterness thrown in, but it's very mellow.

The mouthfeel is a little thin for the style. With a doppelbock I expect a meal in a glass - this ain't it.

Not a bad tasting beer, but nevertheless disappointing. Either this has been dumbed down in the couple of years since I had it or I've learned to expect more. Either way, if there's another doppelbock available, I'll be reaching for it before grabbing this one again.

07-03-2007 04:07:43 | More by woemad
Lothore

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a beautiful deep brown, almost black, with a robust tan head that fades to some lacing. The smell was sweet, almost fig with coffee hints. The taste was very good, cream, coffee, grain. The mouthfeel was creamy smooth, slightly thick with a bit of carbonation. The drinkability was very good, this is a beer i like to savor for a while but its highly drinkable. Just because of the richness its not a brew I could have too many of in a sitting.

06-30-2007 01:05:44 | More by Lothore
ArrogantB

Colorado

I won a friendly poker game last night so this beer seemed like a good choice for a nightcap due to the name. I poured it into an over-sized Arrogant Bastard glass and realized the glass was just like the Celebrator glass, only huge. It was a serious dark brown, with ruby edges and a frothy tan head. The smell was roasty, toasty, and malty. The taste was toasty and I swear I detected licorice in there. This was a good beer but I think it tastes better on tap. It is also a little pricey at $3 for 11oz. Still, one of the best German beers I have tried.

06-28-2007 16:44:05 | More by ArrogantB
kpwill07

4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

I woudln't call myself religious, but if there is a god, his refrigerator is certainly stocked with Ayinger Celebrator. With the increasing trend of beers aiming to be bigger and hoppier than ever before, the perfect balance of this gem is something I am in awe of.

Drink this now. And then drink it again.

06-26-2007 16:36:52 | More by kpwill07
LiamMcFee

4.47/5  rDev +3%

A - Very dark pour, nice caramel head.

S - A lovely sweet chocolate caramel coffee malt.

T - Sweet, but not too much, and the chocolate/coffee flavors come out on the palate as well as in the nose.

M - Velvety, but not thick.

D - Very drinkable, but watch your enthusiam because they ain't cheap!

06-25-2007 15:29:37 | More by LiamMcFee
BrewSomerville

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev -15.9%

Aromas of chocolate, maple, burnt sugar. Smelled kind of like a tootsie roll and some licorice. Smelled something like an aged port.

It was dark brown in appearance with ruby red highlights. It had a big biege head with good retention. It did leave some lace but not much.

It tasted sweet. I tasted flavours of raisons, cherries, grapefruit, dark fruits. It was a little vinous. I also tasted some sweet coffee and chocolate. There was some hop flavour/bittering to inhibit the sweetness from overpowering.

Mouthfeel was full-bodied. Average carbonation.

Overall I think this is a good dopplebock, one that I will try again.

06-25-2007 03:22:35 | More by BrewSomerville
BBM

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured a lovely deep mahogany brown that was barely transparent, with ruby highlights and a thin beige head. Aroma was sweet, maybe a bit chocolaty.

This is one hell of a smooth, yet complex beer. There are definite notes of dark fruits, coffee, some chocolate, and even a subtle hop presence. Much more enjoyable as it warmed up. Mouthfeel was full-bodied and well carbonated. Even though it was a touch on the heavy side, I could have a few of these. This really is a great and interesting beer experience.

06-20-2007 20:05:42 | More by BBM
rkuhnel

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle. Poured a ruby read with a medium but attractive tan head and good lacing. Nose is fantastic, with fruits, citrus, and chocolate, and just a little coffee. Very smooth mouthfeel and a flavor of chocolate, coffee, and toast. But not burnt toast. A remarkable brew. Slightly dry finish with a nice touch of hops. Best dopplebock ever for me.

06-17-2007 01:37:31 | More by rkuhnel
goindownsouth

4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

Quite possible sex in a bottle, but I shall dive deeper...

Dark and rich in its appearance, a little hint of cherry red mixed in for good measure. Good head retention from the frothy pillow atop this glorious brew. Aromas are rich and pleasing with molasses, roasted malty goodness, and a nice shot of hoppiness. Absolutely envelopes the palate in luscious goodness. Huge chewy malt action with the molasses sweetness and a touch of faint alcohol makes this one very balanced brew. Hints of rich cherry and other fruits.

Perhaps as good as it gets with regard to imported Biers. This is the best of the best when it comes to this style. Smooth, luscious, yet full of aromas and flavors without being overpowering. The closest thing to perfection in a bottle.

06-16-2007 15:09:55 | More by goindownsouth
Nesued

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance - A very ornate 330ml bottle with a white plastic goat trinket tied around the neck on a red elastic string. Nice decoration for something bar-related. Poured a dark black color. When held up to a strong light from behind, appeared more of a burgandy color. Poured reasonably cool from about two hours refrigerated. A two-finger head formed that resolved into a thin layer. Glass was rinsed prior to the pour which (I'm sure) hindered the head formation. Thin carbonation.

Smell - Chocolate aroma with a roasted malt presence. Nice warm aroma with a slight sweet bit as well.

Taste - Nice malty taste, plain and simple. The roasted/chocolate presence is felt in each swig. There is a comfortable hoppy bite at the end, but it is well balanced and does not come as a suprise. This is one dense/malt-fest. Had I not known this was a doppel, I would have picked this as an Irish stout!! This is a meal.

Mouthfeel - Wow, this fills your mouth and palate with goodness. Very dense and very heavy (but in a good way). Giving a swish doesn't stimulate an overly carbonated "bite", but at the same time creates an even fuller mouth presence.

Drinkability - Dangerously drinkable!! This is one fine doppel. I will very much have this as part of my stable of offerings. I only hope my guests are worth it!!

06-16-2007 00:04:09 | More by Nesued
zeff80

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Poured out a solid black color with a foamy, caramel-colored, one-finger head. It left long trails of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled very sweet. There was also some roasted malt and caramel aromas.

T - It had a great sweet maltiness. There was also a good dose of chocolate flavor.

M - It was soft, creamy and smooth. A medium-bodied beer.

D - A really great dopplebock. It is very sweet and chocolatey.

06-15-2007 03:27:08 | More by zeff80
chadspivey

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

A: pours a very dark oaky brown with a healthy one finger head. Lacing all the way down.

S: Oh the malty goodness. It's really unbeleivable. Caramel, vanilla, chocolate malts.

T: I forgot how freakin awesome this beer is. The malt is just extraordinary. It pretty much tastes exactly how it smells.

M: Full body. Good. plenty of carbonation. Very nice.

D: There's a reason it comes in four packs. Any more than four of these is simply too much. Still, it tastes so damn good, it's hard to drink just one.

06-08-2007 03:56:40 | More by chadspivey
eepopporkahah

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

A - Dark, ruddy brown, barely opaque when tilted and held up to a light.
S - If any of you remember Faygo's Chocolate Pop, it smells like a grown-up version of that, rich and sweet and warm, a very comforting aroma.
T - Bitter but with a milk-chocolate sweetness that complements and even slightly overwhelms the balance but by only the smallest measure. It ends with a lingering whiskey-like complexity and then a clean almost mossy-sweet finish full of damp soil and toffee. (Can you tell this is a favorite of mine...?)
M - The beer itself has a rather light body. However, upon taking the first sip, one's mouth is coated with a wave of tiny bubbles. Once they dissipate, the more subtle notes of the flavor emerge.
D - As far as doppelbocks go, it's a pretty heavy experience. More Christopher Marlowe's Faust than whatever episode of The Simpsons happens to on, if you know what I mean.
Bonus - The fantastic little goat charms you get when you buy Celebrator. It's like the bygone era when Cracker Jacks used to have good toys in them...also, you get drunk, so, all in all, an awesome beer and a great experience.

06-07-2007 23:08:39 | More by eepopporkahah
OWSLEY069

3.43/5  rDev -21%

Poured almost black into a Celebrator glass, with a off white head, that went away quickly. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, and small amout of alcohol. Smooth taste including coffee and chocolate. A very nice double bock, used to be the good old stand by, but the alcohol was a thing to watch with this one.

06-07-2007 17:42:24 | More by OWSLEY069
jp62099

South Carolina

Had two over the course of a weekend, first was maybe a little to warm and I had had one or two other beers before so it did'nt do much for me. 2nd had a day or so in the frig, no beer before, much better. As with most of my reviews D-bocks are new to me so can't really compare by style. It was good, but after hearing all the hype maybe I expected more. Nose was malty, bready, not much actually. Taste was balanced leaning on sweet. Very drinkable, did'nt fill to heavy. Reasonably priced, if it were available here I would drink again.

06-05-2007 23:03:29 | More by jp62099
greenbeaner

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a very deep, dark copper color. Almost black. Forms two and a half fingers of head that quickly dissipates to a thin film on the surface. Very little lacing.

Strong malt up front on the nose, with a quiet chocolate finish. There are also tones of caramel and raisens.

Tastes heavily of lightly roasted malt and chocolate up front with a bit of a sweet raisen finish. Also apparent are hints of coffee and fig. Light carbonation is apparent as well. A very delicious, well balanced brew.

Feels large and full bodied in the mouth, but never syrupy. Goes down smooth and finishes slick. Feels great.

I put this one off for a long time, largely because of it's price-to-alcohol ratio...It proved to a huge mistake, as this is definitely one of the most deliecious beers I've tasted. A must try, often buy, in my book for sure. I'd drink it all the time.

06-03-2007 23:18:17 | More by greenbeaner
xav33

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
12 oz bottle
Moderate pour in a tulip glass
Recent brewing, butted into 06/07

Poured a clear mahogony with a medium light frown fizzy somewhat diminishing head.

Smelt of strong raisins, roasted malt, dark caramel, almost molasses, some coffee black licorice and bananas.

Taste was upfront strong bittersweet raisin, black licorice, and roasted grain followed by a strong bitter yeasty and sweet dark sherry chocolate on a long finish.

Palate was medium bodied, creamy, softly carbonated and moderately astringent and slightly alcoholic.

Overall, this is a soft tasty doppelbock. The flavors are layered and overwhelming, and I can see why this is the most appreciated doppelbock out there. It's hard to describe, but put simply it leaves a happy feeling in my mouth.

06-02-2007 04:32:01 | More by xav33
jjayjaye

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours an opaque darkness with better than a full finger stiff light tan head that resists fading and is aided by visible effervescence. Peaks of 3D lacing observed.

A slightly timid malty aroma with some dark fruit and cinnamon. A more pronounced syrup like molasses as it warms slightly.

Full bodied texture that coats the entire mouth. The mouth feel is smooth and creamy with a good amount of carbonation. A reserved bitter hop note beneath.

The flavor is sweet and malty also and it is complemented quite well by the mouth feel. A coffee sensation adds to the latent complexity.

This one is quite drinkable and at 6.7% ABV a person could enjoy a couple of these in a session.

05-31-2007 20:09:34 | More by jjayjaye
sleazo

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle purchased from bodega in Williamsburg.

A-Dark brown with reddish hints but not opague. There is a steady stream of bubbles if you look hard enough. there is a cappacino coloured head which starts off at a heady two fingers and ends up a nice 1/8 inch whipped cream masterpiece. Thick lacing. A very attractive beer.

S-Slightly sweet barley aroma dominates. A little bit of alcohol present as well with hints of unsweetened chocolate which can be distinguished from the sweet barley. Slight vanilla is in there too.

T-Not nearly as sweet as it first smells. There is a nice dry crisp finish. the roasted barley is ever present providing the slightly charred and smokey background notes. The yeast makes itself known midsip, a very German taste.

M-On the heavier side but never too thick. Carbonation is present but not harsh.

D-Perfect for a spring/fall evening. This is a fantastic beer and this is my first. This will be in my rotation.

05-30-2007 22:27:08 | More by sleazo
GPHarris

Alabama

4.47/5  rDev +3%

a - poured a three-fingers thick coffee-colored head into a tumbler. left some nice sheeting and a thick ring with sticky sides. the body is dark brown with some ruby hints.
s - coffee, cinnamon, chocolate and a little hop earthiness to it.
t - roasted coffee and sweet malts.
m - smooth and creamy.
d - this is an amazing beer, first time i've tried it and i'm hooked.

05-29-2007 15:28:31 | More by GPHarris
chilidog

We reached a milestone in our year, so I broke out the Celebrator

It poured a nice dark ruby brown. Full overflowing tan head that laced real well.

The aroma was sweet toasted malts, toffee well done.

The taste of this full bodied brew grew to a complex nature.
First a blast of toasted roasted malts. Dark fruits like plum. A bread charactor of biscuit and well done toast. The sweetness of molasses,honey and caramel. All rounded out and blended nicely by hops and suttle alcohol.

Overall very drinkable and a fine example of Germany in a glass..

05-27-2007 11:48:39 | More by chilidog