Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle a dark brown with a red hue. One finger of light tan foam. Smells of cocoa, and nuts. Tastes of caramel, brown sugar, tangy citrus fruits, and chocolate. Smooth and full bodied. Finishes dry with notes of bitter cocoa and nuts. A well balanced, rich beer.

ClockworkOrange, Feb 14, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +3%

A - Nice thick, frothy head. A deep brown color but not dark like a stout.
S - Dark fruits, like plums. Light molasses. Brown sugar.
T - I was anticipating this brew for a long time. My hopes were fulfilled because this is incredible. Some great depth and flavor. The taste is what I imagined as the quintessential German beer.
M - Covers the mouth real well. A nice light spiciness, roasted malt, and very creamy.
D - I could drink this baby all day long. It's thick, but not thick enough to disturb the drinkability. This is my first double bock and one of the best of that style. Can't wait to try others of this style.

Gatch, Feb 14, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -21%

My second try on this beer. Had one about 6 months ago and was not impressed. Ready to give it another go. Pours a dark brown almost black with a beige short lived head. Still life in a glass. Smell is all malt all sorghum and molassas. Some notes of burnt sugar. Intriquing. Maybe my palatte has changed as this smells better than I recalled.

Taste is heavy with the sorghum. Sweet in a totally different way than the sweetness of a JW Lee or a Duchesse. It is not a cloying sweetness. There is a smokey or burnt sugar undertone which applies a sort of bitterness. It's all a bit much for me. The taste is certainly not "average," but I would be hard pressed to call it "good."

While it is heavy tasting stuff, it is surprisingly thin in the mouthfeel. No carbonation to speak of. To me, this is usually a good thing, but in this case, it feels somewhat watery to be honest.

This beer gets some high reviews and must be a good example of the style. I just have to conclude that dopplebocks are not my thing.

Onibubba, Feb 13, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -18.2%

Sm- Mild maltiness, very faint citrus-hop aroma. Light alcohol aroma, somewhat sweet smelling.
Ap- Pours dark brown/amber, very light head, little retention.
Fl- Mild flavor of barleywine, slight alcohol flavor. Somewhat braedy with hints of dates, coffee and caramel.
M- Light carbonation, not too full bodied or creamy which was suprising.
Drinkability - Not really my style of beer, so it's hard to say. One is more than enough for me.

BrewMonkey, Feb 13, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Dark brown (not quite opaque), small but lingering tan head. Has that "signature" doppelbock taste and smell. Roasted and toasted malts, chocolate, bit of smoke. Rather dry and light for the style. Velvety mouthfeel, medium-bodied like a porter and crisply carbonated. Fantastic beer.

largadeer, Feb 08, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -9%

I really enjoyed Ayinger's tasty Hefe-Weizen the other week so I
was pleased to see their Celebrator Doppelbock in handy 4-packs
at Westside liquor. I like the fact that a little plastic statue of Lord
Satan comes tied to each bottle with a piece of red string.

Poured out, the beer has a rocky head that collapses to a finger's
thickness, over and almost-opaque deepamber/black brew. The
carbonation seems pretty sedate, and the nose is molasses and dark
fruit. It has a rich coffee and malt flavor with a dry finish having a
touch of unsweetened chocolate bitterness. Mouthfeel is clean without
being too thin, dry, with a bit of tingle no doubt due to the 6.7% alcohol
by volume. Ayinger has a reputation for excellence and they earn it
everyday with brews like this.

shadow1961, Feb 08, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

The first dopplebock I ever had years back, but only now getting a chance to review it since its not sold in this state. Beer pours dark, but still lighter than any porter I have ever had, gives almost a garnet tone with the light behind it.

Smell has a heavy raisin scent mixed with dark chocolate. Slight hint of molasses hits the palate on the first sip before it is taken over by a mix of dark, bitter - a good bitter - chocolate taste with a little mocha thrown in for good measure. Almost looks like a cup of coffee with this Guinness mug I'm drinking it from. Delicious taste hides the alcohol very well. Don't think I'd have more than 1-2 at a time however, like I would an ale or something lighter.

A great brew that I will be going back to over and over.

saintwarrick, Feb 05, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

I can't believe that this is the first time I'm ever having this beer.

Served from a 330ml. bottle with a neat plastic goat charm tied to the neck, at cellar temperature in my Samuel Adams Double bock glass.

A - Medium chestnut in color, pouring with some noticeable viscosity. The head just screams to come forth as it battles against the liquid still falling from the bottle. Once I pull back, the creamy sand-colored takes off for the rim of the glass, superceding it by just a little, then slowly settling and becoming more dense. The amazing, microbubbled head finally drops to a creamy island in the center, along with a thick ring around the glass edge - but after a full 6 minutes or so! Lacing is unfortunately spotty and provides the only (very slight) letdown in light of the amazing head.

S - Rich, warm hearth-baked dark molasses bread. Is there such a thing? Mmm... there should be. Nice, rich well roasted malts. The light sprinkling of hops that is (barely) noticeable adds a clean freshness that also plays off of the very subtle alcohol. Yummy.

T - "Damn." That was precisely the first word out of my mouth after completing one sip and swallow. Starts off with a candy-sweet maltiness that is quickly overtaken by a slightly yeasty-tart toastiness in the middle. I almost get a nuance of smoke in here as well... As it hits the back of the tongue, the subtle hops lend their bitterness to a drying finish. Once down, the aftertaste is bready, sweet and slightly dry. Fantastically delicious.

M - Definitely qualifies as one of the the top 5 best mouthfeels I've ever had in a beer. Soft like velvet on the way in. Creamy and fulfilling in the mouth, turning into seafoam as it moves around. The swallow is gradual, like liquid taking its time down a very slight grade. An absolute pleasure.

D - Well, all my friend Yelterdow's championing of this beer was definitely in the right place. This is an amazing Dopplebock. 'Nuff said. Less typing. More sipping. This beer is the real deal.

EPseja, Jan 31, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

This Doppelbock has the kind of heavy malt flavor that I crave in my beer...Pours into my glass a smooth uncarbonated cola color, with a nice, rich, half inch light brown head. Smelled of heavy dark malt, with hints of toffee. The beer tasted of heavy roasted malt, with subtle nutty traces, and a pleasantly bitter aftertaste. This beer coated the mouth well, with it's medium body, and multiple bottles can easily be consumed in one night. I paired this with a Port Salut, semi-soft, mild French cheese, and I can't get enough...Enjoy

Greenfloyd, Jan 28, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +6%

Appearance is a very dark, amber color. The doppelbock was poured into a glass. The initial 1-2 inch head died down very quickly. The aroma is very sweet and nutty, although not overpowering. The taste and mouth feel is where this beer really comes to life. It is very sweet when first hitting the tongue, but after lingering for a bit, the spiciness of this beer comes through. This is an excellent doppelbock. I will definitely have another.

icemonkey908, Jan 26, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a nice dark amber with acceptable head, as well as good lacing. Initial taste is sweet and smooth, then leading to a nutty slightly fruit richness. About one-third down the glass I noticed a caramel taste. Aftertaste maintains a burnt and bittery pre dominance. Goes great with a hearty bratwurst.

sauron681, Jan 22, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Spaten Optimatior is a good doppelbock.
Celebrator is a fantastic doppelbock.

The looks are deceiving with this brew. It looks good, but less than impressive. The head on my beer fell down much quicker than I expected and I was left with only a thin chunk of bubbles on top of the mahogany brown body.

The smell is sweet but a bit spicy. Alcohol probably contributes a bit to the spicyness.

The taste is where this shines. Smoothness galore. It starts out sweet and malty, then transitions into a bit of bitterness that tickles the tongue, then a sweet but clean aftertaste. SUper smooth and not a bit of alcohol is perceptable. This is an excellent brew.

Mouthfeel is full, creamy and velvety, and drinkability is remarkable. A nice overall package.

DaveFL1976, Jan 21, 2007
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

A- Deep rich dark roasted coffee look with plenty of rich tan head that fills the top of the glass and sticks around for quite a bit.

S- Malty with a hop back round. Well balanced aroma.

T- nutty malt with a good balance of hops to even out the sweetness. Good coffee notes and just a hint of chocolate.

M- Smooth with a bit less carbonation then an ale but more then a stout. No heat on this one at all even though it is 6.7 abv.

D- Great beer if you can find it in your local shop. If not head for Munich!

Wavz

wavz, Jan 21, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

appearance: dark. pretty much black. with a gorgeous 1 1/2 tan head. served in a duvel tulip.

smell: sweet, coffee, hazelnut

taste: chocolate covered coffee beans, caramel, big chewy malt beast. alcohol is present and accounted for. this is the ultimate fireside winter brew. an absolute beast. this beer is athletic in its complexity and aggressiveness. delicous.

mouthfeel: not a ton of carbonation, smooth and heavy.

drinkability: one, maybe two, then im asleep.

2007: i was swirling this beer in my mouth when time slammed through 2007 on new years. screw that kissing nonsense!

OutlawJoseyWales, Jan 16, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Celebrator pours a dark brown color that appears ruby when held to the light. A small creamy light tan head forms on top. The foam dissolves down to a thick ring around the beer leaving a few splotches of lace on the glass. An aroma of roasted malts, nuts and raisins hovers over the beer.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is soft on the palate with a dry finish. I will say that it did feel a little bit thin to me, but not too much. There's definitely a lot of flavor in this brew. Mainly roasted malt with a fair amount of smoke mixed in. However, there are also notes of nuts, raisins and molasses. It finishes mildly sour leaving behind a molasses flavor.

This is definitely a sipping beer. Packed with flavor it would be great with/for dessert or a hearty meal.

WanderingFool, Jan 15, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a lovely dark brownish nearly black color with a nice coffee colored head. Smells of chocolate, coffee and spicey malt. Tastes just like it smell. Nice and full bodied. Spice on the backend of that wonderful bread flavor. I can feel myself getting all the nutrients I need today! Very, very good. I will certainly be back for another of these.

bluegrassbrew, Jan 12, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

11.2 OZ bottle, imported by merchant du vin. This is the first time trying celebrator, after waiting literally months for it to be restocked after a rapid sellout at Sherbrooke. Thanks, VUE magazine!

A: Celebrator looks a lot like cola to me. Upon pouring it, the carbonation looks and sounds just like pouring a glass of cola. Color is almost exactly that of Dr. Pepper, only a little bit more brown. The head comes up with finer bubbles than said soft drink, but degrades evenly over a minute and a half into a light tan ring. I noticed that the outside ring of head was slightly darker than the stuff in the middle. This might be an anomaly... i'll have to drink a couple more to verify :)

S: The first thing I said when smelling this beer for the first time was "wow, maltacular!" It positively reeks of malt, in a good way. Behind that is a little vinuous note, and some smoke.

T: malty, then smoky, than hoppy, in that order: sort of like the smell. I thought this would be really similar to Löwenbräu Triumphator, but it has a much stronger hop character, where I found triumphator more biscuity and sweet. I'm not a beer god by any stretch of the imagination, but this stuff feels really balanced.

M/D: feels really smooth, not too heavy in the mouth or the stomach. I could drink this over an extended period of time.

entheogen, Jan 11, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a rusty brown color with a nice, persistant creamy tan head. The beer becomes much lighter when held up to light, and reveals its transparency. Smell is of sweet cocoa, oatmeal, molasses, dark berries, and a hint of hops. The mouth is thick and creamy. Beautiful beer to swirl around the palette.

Taste is surprisingly hoppy, but in a good way. The hop and malt balance is absolutely brilliant, allowing the chocolate and molasses to come out after a short while. A smoky flavor is also present throughout, and coffee flavor provides some additional bite at the end. I think I am detecting some citrusy flavors and smells as well. The flavor finishes slightly dry with a slight warming effect from the alcohol.

This beer really has it all; the taste is complex but understated, the smell is amazing, the mouthfeel is spot on for a bock, and you could drink it for hours if you wanted to. Oh why must you be so pricey? Oh, and please let this warm up a bit before enjoying. You won't be disappointed. The much celebrated Celebrator does not disappoint. This is everything that is good about doppelbocks.

My goat pendant necklace is certain to be the envy of the neighborhood.

jhollick, Jan 10, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -16.4%

It had been a while... so I thought I'd try a Celebrator during my latest outing. The bartender served it up in a pint glass deftly poured with a perfect 3/4" head. The color was almost black, but when held to the light let some dark reddish hues through.

The head held on through my sniff test which reveiled hints of coffee, chocolate and a sweet fruity-ness.

Upon my first taste, the head had diminished to about 1/4" and was already leaving a pronounced lacing on the glass. The taste (like the smell) had coffee, chocolate and fruit characteristics, although they weren't as pronounced as I'd hoped. This one was a bit thinner that many of the other dopplebocks I've tried (most recently Spaten Optimator). Very little on the hoppiness factor. Spaten Optimator is a much richer brew in this Beer Advocate's opinion.

Mouthfeel was OK. A bit too heavy on the carbonation for me. Still smooth enough to fully enjoy.

Drinkabilty: I won't have this in heavy rotation, but one in a while it's a good one to have on second string.

TheBierBand, Jan 09, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured a nice caramel, mohagany color. Good medium sized off white head. The head stayed a bit longer than I thought it would, and never totally disappeared.
Smell of rich molasses and caramel, sticky sweet with some hints of earthy hops.
Taste of sweet vanilla, caramel and cashew. Some richness of yeasts seem present as well. Some dryness halts the sweetness from becoming overpowering.
Finish leaves a bit of peaty aftertaste. Not really my type of beer, but it is good.

Mebuzzard, Jan 09, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Each bottle of this beer comes with a white plastic mountain goat (complete with unstoppable head-butting action!) stamped with the label “Celebrator”. A piece of red twine hooks through the goat’s head and attaches it to the bottle neck. This is incredibly cool and earns my immediate respect.

I pour out a yin-yang combo of blackest black blackety black black beer with a tightly packed, hefty tan head that marks an immediate division between the foam and the beer. Ok, I lied, the beer isn’t really black, hold it to the light and you can see it’s a very deep red. But black is close.

Even after letting this one warm, the smell is minimal. Sweet roasted grain, brown sugar, ripe figs or raisins, and medicinal alcohol is about all I get.

Mmmm… creamy, malt goodness slides down my gullet on the first sip. It’s too sweet and rich for a stout or porter, but still leaves a wonderfully appetizing bittersweet charred malt aftertaste. Red grapes, a hint of prunes, and an odd coolness (mint?!) fill my mouth. Celebrator is remarkably smooth and, for the taste, thin. I get fleeting flavors of coffee and cocoa. Hops are subdued, but I’m loving it.

The mouthfeel is superb, it’s not heavy or cloyingly sweet like some Doppelbocks are wont to be, and thus keeps you coming back for more. The beer is ultra-smooth and creamy. The finish is roasty and bizarrely cool. Why? I haven’t the slightest idea, but I’m not complaining. After drinking most of this, not only am I happy but my breath smells like chocolate and coffee.

Perhaps the most well-balanced Dopplebock I’ve had to date, Celebrator butts heads with the best of them. It’s pricey, but worth it. If you buy it and dislike it, at the end of the day you’re still ahead by a few small plastic goats. How many other beers can boast that?

kkipple, Jan 06, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +3%

I first tried this beer early in my journey to beer enlightenment, and didn't like it. I decided, however, that I wouldn't review it until I had a more practiced palate and I'm glad I waited. This is one damn good beer.

It poured a ruby-hued brown into my flute with a creamy tan head that dwindled to a foamy ring. This is one of those beers you can smell from a few feet away, radiating roasted malt, brown sugar, dried fruit and a slightly vinous aroma.

The taste was equally complex, starting with smoky malt that yielded nicely to some fruity plum flavours and sweet brown sugar. The roasty malt returned for a dry finish but I was impressed with the way all the flavours complemented each other without any one of them becoming too dominant or cloying.

The carbonation and medium body were perfect, making for a smooth-drinking experience. The alcohol is well-hidden, but provides a bit of warmth, which made this an ideal indulgence as I relaxed over the Christmas holidays.

vanrassel, Jan 03, 2007
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass with a thin head and slight lacing and a deeply dark ruby/amber color. Nicely fragrant aroma of roasted fruit, like raisons, and sweet malt.

The aroma mirrors the taste of roasted raisons, brown sugar, and a dry, roasted malt that levels out the taste and makes it consistent throughout. There's an undercurrent of spiciness that plays right along with the fruit and sweet malt flavors. It is a thick beer that falls short of being creamy by virtue of the roasted malt flavor, I think. It has a nice consistency and is very good all the way around.

Drinking this beer makes you aware of its fragrance, color, and consistency. You can't help but be aware of it all as you drink it. An outstanding beer all the way around.

Abita45, Jan 03, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours deep brown, almost black, with deep red highlights. Great tan head that stays for a while.

The aroma is great toasted malts, some fruity sweetness. Tastes is mostly up front sweet malts, a bit of chocolate. Great deep toasty flavor with a bit of an alchohol finish.

Man this beer is good and comforting. Medium body and carbonation, and pretty darn drinkable.

BurnsTau, Jan 02, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a very dark yet clear deep ruby color. The head is extremely thick and creamy, dark tan, and lasts for a long time. Very impressive.

Smell: Very warm aroma of molasses, roasted malts, and some spices and hops. A bit sweet, but enjoyable and well-balanced.

Taste: Sweet roasted malts slowly accompanied by molasses and spices (ginger, etc.). Very complex, but not overdone.

Mouthfeel: Thick and quite creamy -- very smooth as well.

Drinkability: Very drinkable; goes down well and I can't really notice the alcohol. Sweetness, though, can be sometimes difficult.

A very nice doppelbock that I find to be enjoyable. However, it is a bit sweeter than I typically prefer this type of beer. Still, it's definitely something to try!!

mithrascruor, Jan 01, 2007