Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

A- It pours a very deep mahogany with a foamy tan head that holds well.

S- The nose displays a mild smokiness and some toasty breadiness that combines with a touch of alcohol to twist it into a more toffee-ish character.

T- The flavor offers a luxurious maltiness that's fairly complex with notes of molasses, deeply toasted honey-glazed bread, dried dark fruit, mild leafy hop, and a very subtle smokiness. Some lingering malty notes of caramel and subtle bitter & smoky notes add to it's richness.

M- A velvety mouthfeel is derived from a medium body and a very fine carbonation.

Overall, a smooth, rich, deceptively strong beer. I recently had this at a restaurant paired with duck and it was simply amazing

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured this beer from an 11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Dark amber with tints of red when held into light. Tan head formed about an inch thick that slowly went away as the beer was consumed.

S- Smell of malt dominated. There also was a slight presence of of fruit in there somewhere.

T- Never have had a doppelbock before, but this I was extremely surprised by this balanced taste. I thought this beer would be strong and overpowering with the malt flavor, but the sweetness of the malt and the fruit presence blended together perfectly.

M- Heavy bodied, but very balanced and smooth with a little carbonation.

D- The dark complexion is very misleading! This beer is well balanced leaving a taste for more.

Overall, I couldn't imagine having a better experience in tasting a doppelbock for the first time. Enjoy!

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a pint mug.
A - Poured a very dark brown with hints of red that could only be seen when held up to bright light. Thick tan head that lasted quite a while.
S - Heavy aroma of malt with dried fruit, raisins
T - Rich taste of malt and dried fruit with a very well balanced finish.
M - Full mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation.
D - This is my first experience with a dopplebock. I can't imagine one that could taste any better. A little heavy to be a session beer for me, but very drinkable nonetheless.

According to my opinion, and compared to approx. 2500 beers, this is by far the best beer in the world. It's absolutely flawless. Until now I have managed to taste it only from a bottle but it is said that it is available "von fass" (draught) during May. Drinking a Celebrator is a unique experience that starts from the moment it comes to your table for the first time, until... the day you die?? The first thing that will catch your eye is the bottle. I usually don't pay attention, but the uniqueness of the label and the little "bock" that hangs from it tell you two things: It's a beer that has a lot of tradition behind it, and that it is made by people who pay attention to details. And then you serve it... Its dark ruby-red / brown color plays with your imagination as well as it does with light. Its full aroma reaches your brain gradually. At first, I thought it was impossible to have a bouquet of aromas, so full and well-balanced. This beer smells of spring rain, wet wood and discreet flowers. The worst part is the 3-5 seconds wait it takes to settle. It takes for ever... But when you taste it you won't believe that such thing is possible! The world will subside and all of your senses will busy cherishing the unique feeling of drinking a Celebrator. No words. Perhaps I am over-reacting but have you tried it?

Suggestions: Serve at a temperature of ~5 deg. C in a tulip shaped glass. Accompanies well most plates (red/white meat, vegetables, fruit, chocolate) but the best way to enjoy is with just some pretzels.

3.92/5  rDev -9.7%

Celebrator is a very good beer with a great malt flavor. It is quite drinkable. I could easily have one regularly. It is relatively light on the palate, leaving a well-balanced aftertaste. I can certainly understand its long-established reputation, and perhaps superstitiously, I imagine it tastes even better when you drink it in Germany.

The beer pours dark brown with a big head and little lacing. It's a good looking beer without anything really wrong with it but I can't remember any high points either. The nose is sweet with hints of alcohol. Some of the roast comes through, as well.

The taste is coffee, chocolate and some spice. It's sweet but much better balanced than many similar beers. There are good bitter notes to weigh down the sweetness, but the sweetness predominates a bit.

The aftertaste is good, but my mouth feels a bit puckered from the sweet malt. The beer is quite drinkable and doesn't overwhelm.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

This review is from last night's notes, so I can't elaborate much.

First, I have to say: the little horse tied to the bottle is hilarious. I feel like I got a toy with my happy meal.

Pours a thick, deep red, looking a little like maple syrup.

Smell and taste were raspberries, raisins, caramel, molasses, and spices; maybe some honey.

Quite a tasty beer!

4.26/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz bottle in a Celebrator Pilsner Glass.

A - Dark brown with some red highlights with a light tan head.

S - Very light fruit and malt.

T - Yummy goodness. That is a technical term. A little sweet with some good bite. There is a lot of malty flavor.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer. This is a special beer because this is the beer that advances my Karma from Initiate to Disciple. I chose this carefully because I love this beer and I thought Celebrator would be a great beer to Celebrate the next step.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Served in a chalice a not quite opaque black w/ ruby highlights . The beer is topped with a thin head that diminished to a thin layer and left spotty lacing. The aroma was a nice blend of brown malts, chocolate and roasted nuts. The taste was a wonderful array of malts with lingering espresso bitterness. The beer was medium bodied with warming alcohol and decent carbonation. This beer has always been very enjoyable, and it's even better on draft.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into a lo-ball glass.

A: Color is dark brown. Poured about one inch of head. Slowly dissipates to a ring of bubbles. Carbonation appears light and bubbles are large.

S: Smell is sweet. Hints of toffee and chocolate.

T: Sweet and mild. Creamy. Dark chocolate bite. A touch of bitterness or sourness.

M: Very smooth. Low combination. A bit of chalkiness at the ending.

D: Drinkability is very good.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a very dark brown in color, damn near black. Nice inch of mocha colored head forms on the pour. Smell is dark roasted malts and I'm getting a bit of cocoa/coffee. Taste is lots of toffee. Some more roasted malts. This is incredibly full and creamy on the mouthfeel. What a beer, I don't recall having anything like this in a long while.

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Dark brown with a good head, good retention, and very nice looking lacing.

S - Very sweet and fruity aroma. Some kind of cherry/raspberry aroma is what dominates

T - Very much like the aroma only with less fruits and a lot more of the sweet malt. It was kind of toasy/roasty and there was almost a chocolate like flavor in there too.

M - It was medium bodied and full of flavor

D - Haven't had many of this style but I like it a lot. Definitely will go back to this one.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug

Pours a clear dark brown color with ruby highlights and a full two fingers of creamy, relatively long-lasting off-white head. Aroma is strongly malty with some dark fruits notes from the Munich malts. Taste is rich and quite malty, some more dark fruits (figs, prunes, etc.), a bit of chocolate and a moderate hop bitterness. The malt flavor is present throughout whereas the other flavors seem to come and go. Initially the flavor is overwhelming fruity (figs, prunes). Then the hop bitterness appears but soon yields to a wonderful cocoa flavor. The chocolate flavor lingers into the finish where is mingles with a bit of alcohol. The finish is decidedly sweet but this beer is by no means under attenuated. Mouthfeel is good, medium+ body and moderate to low carbonation. Drinkability is excellent, just shy of perfect. Incredibly complex flavors coupled with a a well masked alcohol presence make this beer a treat.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

I have had this beer many many times, but I thought I would sit down and actually evaluate it for once. I opened the bottle and poured it into a heavy pint glass. It pours well with a very festive foam and thick creamy head that lasts. The color is a dark black with maybe a hint of amber. It smells toasty with a strong malt essence. After the sip I notice an extremely smooth mouthfeel and a slight sweetness. But then I get a smack bam! With a strong, yet pleasant, bold coffee-ish flavor. The sweetness diminishes and I taste a strong malty goodness. I love this beer and always have. I would recommend it to anyone who is trying out new doppelbocks or is into dark beers in general. It's a dark beer with real flavor.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours almost black with just a hint of brown around the edges. Nice two finger head that slowly fades away to a thin film. Looks awesome and inviting.

First smell is the big malt bill. Lots of caramel with some figs thrown in as well. Taste is delicious caramel sweetness, but it's not overpowering. There is also a nice subtle bitterness on the finish. Noble hops? It's nice to have that acidic hoppiness to cut some of the sweetness of the malt. I haven't been a huge fan of most of the doppelbocks I've had because of their overly sweet nature, but this one is near perfect.

Full-bodied, smooth, and very, very drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

It has been a long time since I had this beer...was eating dessert w/ my wife and friends and the bar had Bud, Bud Light, some other macros and this. I took this as a sign to have it again. Arriving in a large pils glass, I received a beer with a blackish looking body with a clinging, one-finger head that stuck around. A sweet malt smell is prevelant, with caramel really sticking out. Also believe I smelled light hints of chocolate, coffee and some toasted malts as well. Minor hop presence. Medium-bodied and smooth, there is not only a sweetness to this beer but a creaminess to it as well. Good carbonation and a thickness in the beer fill the mouth well, and there are nice hops to be enjoyed on the backbite with a crisp and dry finish. Hints of dark fruit/reminded me a tad of a Belgian triple.
I remember why I don't drink this more...the sugars lead to a Jagerbomb effect and after one bottle I had to pause for a few minutes. This is one great beer that packs a punch as well.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

11.2 oz bottle.

Incredibly smooth, just a touch of heat on the end, but it's super drinkable, easy. Nice nose, good depth and complexity that doesn't assault you, just says, "Hey drink me! Now!". This beer disappears terribly quickly.

I don't really know why it took me so damn long to try this beer. It's one of those great ones you just pass by not really realizing how incredibly good it really is. At least I've gotten over my walk-past and had this wonderful beer.

Next time, I'll buy more.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%

Consumed from the tap in a Celebrator glass.

Appearance: dark chestnut brown, slight head and very fine lace. It would have gotten higher marks if it had more head.

Smell: molasses, caramel, sweet, brown sugar and malt

Taste/Mouthfeel: spicy hop flavor profile, complex sweetness, molasses, smooth in the finish, lingering sweetness

Wow, like dark heaven in a glass. Can I have some more please. I was very impressed that I found it on tap. It was at Tizley's Euro Pub in downtown Poulsbo, WA.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.5 ounce bottle.
Color is an almost opaque black with a slight reddish tint. Carbonation left a 1 finger light brown head.
Smell: Caramel, nutty, just the slightest touch of noble hops.
Taste: Extremely well balanced. I get the maltiness balanced with the hops to leave a very smooth drink.
Mouthfeel is thick. The alcohol is not perceived at all.
Drinkability: I could drink several of these. Very good for a doppelbock.
This is definitely the standard for the doppelbock style. I have not come across any that have even come close to this.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a 330mL (about 11-ounce) bottle into a pint glass. I kind of wish I had a 12-ounce mug.

Appearance: Deep, dark brown, and almost totally opaque. A VAGUE hint of ruby red is visible around the edges when I hold my glass up to a strong light source. The head is about as dark brown as I've seen, and retention/lacing are both minimal. In spite of this, the color of the beer itself is truly unique, meriting a perfect score in my view.

Smell: The overarching scent is of roasted malt. Repeated sniffs yield some dried fruits (I detect dried plums and apricots), with a certain nuttiness that is tough to pin down.

Taste: Sweet and malty, followed by a nice, warm toastiness. I've seen this beer's flavor compared to coffee here, and I won't disagree -- at the end of a long sip, I can taste a roasted coffee bean-like flavor. Also present: dried fruits (as in the nose), roasted almonds, and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel: Mild to moderate carbonation. Very "thick" and heavy in the mouth, which is a good thing. I feel like I'm drinking some kind of holiday cake, with a hint of strong coffee.

Drinkability: Fantastic. The 6.7 ABV is just right for the style, as it's not detectable on the palate, but it rears its head in the stomach and the brain. This stuff is like the chocolate milk of beer -- thick, hearty, and comforting. I'd prefer this to hot chocolate on a wintry night.

In my opinion (based on the doppelbocks I've tried), this sets the standard for the style. Highly recommended.

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Wow! Comes with a free charm for your necklace.

Pretty damn dark. Head is off white, not too long lived. Can get a ruby hue if I tilt the glass, otherwise it's just about black.

Light sour scent.

Good flavor. I'm gonna let it warm just a hair. **Lets it warm**

The flavor and scent get a little stronger. There's a new scent that I can't name. Sorry, I'm stupid.

I think I now know the distinct doppelbock flavor. Love the 6.7%, can't sense it until it's too late.

Overall: good beer, worth a trial

4.21/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- dark brown body with a creamy tan head.

S- roasted malt, maybe a bit of chocolate.

T- very malty and sweet. finishes pretty dry, almost a coffee taste at the end. great!

M- very smooth with great carbonation. light to medium body

D- this is deceivingly potent beer which makes it harder to want to drink several of. i can see why this ranks on the top 100 beers in the world. id love to have several of these.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Purchased from Biggs Beer Wine and Tobacco in Vancouver, WA.

Poured from a 330ml standard brown bottle into a pint class.

Pours a fantastic dark brown with a creamy off-white head!

The aroma is wonderful, has strong maltiness that is accented by caramel and toasty notes with little or no hop aroma.

Flavor is out of the park and right on for the style. Low hops add to the sweetness and let the malt flavor dominate in grand style.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with a low carbonation feel.

Overall this is an outstanding beer, strong, rich and a must for any doppelbock fans!

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

This comes out of the tap a deep, opaque sable, almost like a stout or porter rather than a bock. Rich, malty aroma has undertones of chocolate and roast coffee. Flavor is smooth and malty, with some hop bitterness and a mocha undertone. There are hints of sweet, nutty and caramel flavors as well. Texture is smooth and pleasing, making for one lip-smacking bock.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a dark brown, almost black color with a cherry tint to it and a relatively thin head. The aroma is malty with chocolate but not overpowering. This definitely is a good tasting beer. At first it is slightly sweet with some roasted dark chocolate flavor with a malty flavor kicking in. There is a slight coffee presence in the background. Sweet, slightly bitter dry finish. It's quite enjoyable and easy to drink.

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Had this years ago at Old C's in Boise but pickedup another bottle today.
Poured an amazing dark brown color. rich. Nose is toffee, caramel, chocolate, brown sugar with a roastiness. Taste is exactly what I want in a dopplebock. Nice mouthfeel, not too sticky, creamy but not too heavy. Drinkability is up there!