Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -9%

I had heard a lot about this beer and never got around to trying it until last night at the Moan and Dove. Good, but not quite what I expected. Nice poofy head on top of a dark brown ale, with bubbles. Smell was really nice; malty and roasty and with a nice milky character. In the taste that milky creamy characteristic was really the only thing that made it stand out. Yeah, the nice roasted toasted chocolaty coffee taste was nice, but nothing I haven't come across before, in a variety of styles. It seemed like this beer didn't really know if it was a brown ale or a dopplebock or a stout. The mouthfeel didn't match up with the taste, it was a little thin and too carbonated in my opinion. This is tasty for sure, but I was expecting something more along the lines of a real dopplebock, like Aventius or something. But then again, everyone else on the site seems to think this stuff is the cream of the crop, so to each his own.

twelvsies, Apr 14, 2005
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

WOW....this was really good!
It poured a VERY dark red with a little tan head and very little carbonation. The smell is what I liked best because of the caramel & chocolate, smelled like the worlds best desert.
Taste was sweet (but not to sweet) and creamy with a hint of malt and I guess what would be a medium body
I really like this beer and plan on buying it again.(Happy Rookie)
I paid $8.99 for 4 bottles..

Roderick, Apr 05, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured a clear, dark red almost black brew, with a tan head that subsided quickly probably due to the alcohol content and low carbonation. The aroma was very indicative of Munich malt and had a touch of roasted grains that was very clean. The flavor is very good for a doppelbock as it begins with a touch of hops blended in with a very rich toasted malt flavor that has a touch of chocolate malt or some other dark malt in the finish. the body is very full and lends a smoothness that is also accented by the lower levels of carbonation. This is a very smooth and tasty dark lager with a nice level of alcohol so that if you only want to drink one beer you can choose one of these and get a nice buzz acompanied with a delicious flavor.

RenoZymurgist, Apr 01, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a deep ruby color, with a tightly knit head. Good lacing. Aroma is outstandingly complex, dried fruits, sweet malts and caramel play in there as well. Taste is complex as well, some bitter chocolate play off the malts well to keep a roasted balance to the sweetness. I've got to knock this one on mouthfeel. Slightly thin and overcarbonated for a dopplebock in my mind. Overall, a good drinking beer.

deejaydan, Mar 30, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer has been hyped up so much to the point of a smile on my face when I bought a 4-pack for around $9. And how badass are those goat charms, too? Numero uno is on a tack on my bulletin board. Hopefully this will be good enough to start a collection.

Appearance: Maybe my glass wasn't cleaned properly, but what looked like a gorgeous head turned out to dissipate rather quickly. Though many have said the head sticks around for a while. Even so, it's a gorgeous color and keeps a thin line of lace around the top of the beer.

Smell: Malts galore, of course. Some burnt wood, some burnt chocolate. Smoke aromas. Faint honey and lots of caramel. Slight raisins. Some cherries. Some figs. A faint aroma of plums. Complex and fantastic.

Taste: Absolutely love the aftertaste, for one. The smokiness comes through mostly in the taste, but it's balanced quite well. Raisins and the woodiness come through well also. Aftertaste is lingering malt, yeast, and sweetness, and it's awesome.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy. Light carbonation, medium-bodied. Pretty great.

Drinkability: I wish I could have this with some great food, but now it's kind of a dessert treat, which is also delicious. Doppelbock's for me are a treat, especially after I learned a think or two, so the drinkability certainly shouldn't be beyond a 4 in my opinion. But goddamn, this aftertaste is amazing, and I'll keep saying that.

As I'm still drinking, I feel like I could have cases and cases of this stuff and be happy. Curious to see what a year does in the cellar; much potential is here for it age pretty well, though I imagine not beyond a year or two, but who knows? Definitely give this a shot, Doppelbock fan or not; as I stated earlier, a 4-pack won't break the wallet, and this stuff's a real treat. Thankfully I can buy 4-pack's readily available, as this will surely become a staple for me.

asabreed, Mar 28, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. long neck adourned with the white plastic goat figurine - no freshness date.

Dark ruby-copper in color with a gorgeous billowing beige head that stuck around for the whole show!

Scent: Fig Newtons!

Flavors of dark, caramel & roasted malts...malt for days. Perfect balance of dry, tingly hops that keeps this malt arsenal from becoming cloying. Long, lush fininsh.

One of the creamiest mouthfeels I've ever experienced of any lager (and most ales) nI've tried. Full bodied with just enough carbonation to keep things from bogging down.

Drinkability is great, given the high gravity and overall giganticness of the ale.

This is THE standard which all other dopplebocks should be judged. The world is a far better place with this beer in it. Sensational offering from a stellar brewery!

malty, Mar 27, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock:

This remains one of my all-time favorites. Beautiful near-pitch colored pour settles quickly to a gossamer topped sea of liquid silk. Aroma is a deceivingly light meld of subtle grain and easy malt. Taste is just uber-freakin-liceous. Chewy malt, chocolate, molasses…beautimus, just beautimus. Creamy mouthfeel and subtle smoky/roasted finish calls to me…gently reminding me of the beauty that is beer. And I know I’m preaching to the choir on this one, but show some respect…cellar temp only, please.

Cheers…

markman, Mar 20, 2005
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm finally getting around to trying the Celebrator. Pours from the slim bottle a deep dark brown..nearly black with a nice tan two finger head. Maroon streaks when held up to the light. Nice. Huge caramel malt nose with hints of chocolate and dark fruits. I get some cherry/raspberry in there as well. A bit burnt with a nice sweetness. Good lacing on the glass to boot!

First sip is a big, thick caramel, cocoa maltiness. I get some hints of raisins, molasses and some dark fruits. A nice sweet body that only shows a hint of bitterness on the way down. Burnt, roasty, a bit nutty. Quite a tasty, malty brew.

Mouthfeel has a big, creamy body that makes its presence known. Smooth and easy to drink. I could see a four pack night of Celebrator no problem. Just a damn fine doppelbock and a testament to malt.

orbitalr0x, Mar 17, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: dark, rich, mahogany in color. the head is thick and light tan in color. head retention and lacing is excellent.

smell: deep, complex malts. smells of roasted malts with hints of coffee and chocolate and caramel. the presence of the alcohol can be smelled as well.

taste: perfect melding of subtle hops and complex malts. the presence of roasted malts create a lasting taste on the tastebuds. the hops and alcohol content add a subtle spicyness which melds perfectly with the malty sweetness and flavors of coffee and caramel.

mouthfeel: very smooth and creamy, of a medium bodied mouthfeel.

drinkability: although slightly higher than average in abv, it is still an easily drinkable beer.

notes: a testament to german beer making

jxboldaslovexh, Mar 16, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Finally, the esteemed Celebrator, with plastic goat trinket. Wow, easy pour produced a massive tan head on top on a clear mahogany elixir. Nice aroma of malt and raisons, wonderful rich, maltly, liquorish, tasty treat with an alcohol buzz. Looks thin, but has a good firm body. Double bock…gimme another one (or two).

Vancer, Mar 08, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours pale orange with a thin, wispy collar of foam and a malt-n-vinegar nose.

Entry shows subdued carbonation on the tongue and sweet malt in the back of the mouth. Midtaste features biscuity notes and a nice malt follow-through. Finish has a hop note followed by a slow malt fade.

Mouthfeel is acceptable...and this beer would be best served with an order of Bangers or fish and chips.

IceAce, Mar 01, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -14.7%

This little number spreads itself into a nice cranberry jelly coloured darkness that looks almost like grape juice when held up to the desk light. The head rioted over the borders of the glass. Very good looking flow.

The smell summons up thoughts of molasses and caramels. There is certainly a sun dried fruit element to this. Like a shrivled raisin smell, or mashed prune, or something weird. Some goofy purple fruity thing, hell maybe even eggplant. There are surely some chocolate sheets in the breeze. Malty; roasty. Jeepers this thing has alot of odoriferous eminations to it. I think the smell might be taking me over as I review this one.

The taste is just as cumbersome to analyze. There are so many layers in here that it is almost confusing. You get the bitter chocolate thing at first. Then the sweetness shows itself. The weird purple fruit rind taste creeps up at the end. Other suggestions assert themselves randomly into the flavour atmosphere. Each sip poses another question. The end is a fruit juice finish minus the sugary sweetness. Unique is about how I can describe this one. Mouthfeel is fairly thick, just shy of a "syrupy" designation. Drinkability is a non issue. There is no way I could handle the mental aspect of more of these after this one. I really can't tell what it is trying to say.

This brew is alright. I may be persuaded to try this one again. I would prefer to have something else if I had my 'druthers though. Nice goat. Fine beer. No tremendous fuss. Tastes a bit rotten.

SupaCelt, Feb 24, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

11.2 oz. bottle with no freshness date.

Poured a very dark brown, opaque. Rowdy tan head with good staying power.

I started catching whiffs from a foot away! Molasses, sweet breads and yeast. Fruits: prunes and plums.

Very malty, roasty and smokey. Diacetyl esters (toffee and caramel). Hops are very nice. More molasses vibe.

At once creamy and smooth, dry and astringent.

This one went down terribly fast. Not intentionally--I was going to have it with sauerbrauten but it was gone before the food was ready. Lived up to the hype, worth the price. Neat little plastic goat there too.

Shultzerdugen, Feb 13, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a deep dark brown with a smidgeon of a white head, releasing a sweet, malty, nutty aroma. Caramel malts and just enough subtle hop presence to provide a good balance and nice flavor, improving as it warms, and becoming much more flavorful. Moderate ABV and a flavor that is by no means overwhelming make this a pretty good session beer.

gimmehead, Feb 13, 2005
3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a deep mahogany with a tan, 1" head that lasts a few minutes and doesn't leave a whole lot of lacing.

Smells of sweet, almost chocolaty malts.

Tastes much the same as the smell, with a clean malty finish. This could be a good after dinner drink. Nice mouthfeel: not too heavy,but I would like just a little more hop.

Although I'm not a fan of this style (with the exception of Aventinus), this beer impressed me. I can see why so many people give it high marks. I'm encouraged to explore other brews from this style.

ypsifly, Feb 08, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

On-tap @ Anam Cara in Brookline, MA.

Wow, what a treat to find this one on-tap! Props to AC.

Served in it's proper Celebrator glass, it was dark-brown colored. The head had great retention all the way through its short lifespan. Nothing too crazy going on with the aroma, just a nice, enjoyable nutty scent. Great nutty, roasted malt flavor as well. Nice and smooth on the palate. Exceptional drinkability. I couldn't believe how fast I was drinking it, but I couldn't stop!

What more can be said about this brew that hasn't been said already? One of the best and deserves its classic status.

Jacobob10, Feb 02, 2005
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a deep, dark mahogany. Nice head recedes slowly, but doesn't leave much lace. Smells massively of sweet malt. Taste is sweet as well, with some caramel flavors coming through, as well as a small amount of bitterness. There's also chocolate flavors, which is quite nice. Mouthfeel is very full, almost creamy. In fact, that's the best thing about this beer.

While I'm not generally a fan of doppelbocks, I really like this one. Very warming on a cold winter's night. The only bad thing is the price: $3.50 for this bottle. Great beer otherwise, though.

skybluewater, Jan 29, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearnce: Pours a very dark reddish browin with a nice, foamy beige head.

Smell: The nose is wonderfully sweet, very malty, and almost fruity. Smells wonderfully complex.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The focus of this beer is the malts. And that's a good thing. The hops present themselves well and round off this beer, but the malts are so complex and flavorful. Caramel, molasses, wheat bread, and so much more come time mind. The mouthfeel is thin but suprisingly creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: I've been waiting to try this for a while, finally got to, and I have to say it met and surpassed my expectations. Complex, powerful, and well rounded, this is an absolute classic that I could drink all night. I can't even imagine how good this is on tap. One of the world's best.

santoslhalper, Jan 28, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Deep brown pour with a huge tan head. Sorghum molasses, raisins, hints of coffee, and faint cherry notes are in the aroma. The taste is pure doppelbocky goodness: sweet with lots of malt and roasted flavors to go with some coffee, chocolate, and cloves. Mouthfeel is perfectly rich and creamy. Drinkability is fantastic; you could spend all night just trying to figure out what the flavors and aromas are.

whartontallboy, Jan 26, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer poured a dark brown with ruby hues at the edges with a small head over top. The nose was slightly raisiney and slightly roasted. The flavor on this one is what I consider to be a doppelbock. There were slight chocolate and roasted tones, but also a sweet dark raisiney bit. The feel was thick and smooth. Just fantastic. A highly enjoyable beer that is easy to drink. Very good show.

kmpitz2, Jan 26, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Had this at a tasting. Pours a very dark color with a tan head that has great retention and leaves lots of lacing on the glass. The aroma is wonderful. Lots of good maltyness. Coffee, syrup, caramel sweetness. The flavor is quite good as well. Lots of dark malts along with some coffee and chocolate. Very thick body. Drinkability is very good. Great brew here.

clvand0, Jan 25, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a deep, dark, opaque brown with a thick root-beer brown/tan head. Very nice, in fact, beautiful. This is what beer should look like. Aroma is roasty sweet molassas and brandied/candied cherries, rich- just begging me to drink it. There is some unidentified complexity (yeast?) that gives it a bit of added tartness (maybe weak hop notes, but not certain). Flavor is toffee & coffee that is incredibly well balanced- bready sweet with light shaprness at the end of the swallow. A great dessert, even though it's not all sweetness. Mouthfeel lush and rich. Drinkability- really rich that makes it a slow drinker rather than a gulper. Couldn't have more than 1 or maybe 2 in an evening, but worth repeating the process!

Dukeofearl, Jan 23, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -18.7%

Once upon a time, this would be considered the yardstick against which doppelbocks were to be measured. However, having recently had a Smuttynose S'muttonator, I must say that I was disappointed in having this, despite its advantage of being on draft, versus the Smutty in the bottle. Altogether, what I would expect of a doublebock, albeit less than the Smutty. A great beer, but I want more...

altctrlsdelete, Jan 19, 2005
4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

Wow. I can see why this beer is consistently in the top 20. It has a head that lasts forever. Underneath the foam is a dark thick brew that epitomizes everything I love about stouts and bocks with one interesting exception. I believe I could drink about 10 in a day with out blinking. A terrific introductory "dark" beer for new beer advocates (My friends and I are breaking in a new 21 year old)

It is about 3 bucks a bottle which is more than I usually pay for 11.2 ounces, but it is well worth it :)

--Joey

Joey7F, Jan 17, 2005
4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Opened a 11.2 oz bottle to celebrate my birthday and watch my woods fill up with snow. What a brew! Maybe better from bottle than from tap last month in Va.
suggest you set sort to "top reviewers" and read this beers accolades! Your ears, eyes, nose, tongue, and palate are in for a treat starting with the pop-fiz thru the pouring with a malty yeast aroma rishing along with molasses and exquisite esters, taste perfectly blended and well described as "monsterous" includes deep, roasted molasses finishing with the most perfect aftertaste. Carpe diem!

karst, Jan 13, 2005