Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,679 | Reviews: 2,276
4.48/5  rDev +3.2%

the head was something that i only dream about. the light brown head dissipated as the sticky lace etched a beautiful pattern on the side of the glass. the smell was of tons of malts that i could smell even through my stuffed nose, with a hint of tart fruitiness and a flash of the alcohol. the taste was exceptional, with sweet malts up front overwhelming the taste buds and a surprisingly dry and tart finish. but the mouthfeel in my mind takes the cake because it literally felt like chewing on malt syrup. the alcohol gradually crept up and warmed my esophagus, but my mouth was just left wanting more. extremely drinkable, the alcohol is very well masked but has just the right amount of presence so you know you're not drinking a light beer. a brew worthy of celebration indeed.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock pours a deep, dark brown with a thick tan head from a brown 11.2 ounce bottle that had a plastic goat strung around the neck of the bottle. There is a rich, sweet, dark malty aroma. The flavor is smoky and malty. If one doesn't have a taste for smoked beers, this could be a challenge. The mouthfeel is just right, a bit on the thick side. A world classic.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

330 ml bottle into a mug

A: Dark brown, almost black body. Big creamy, tan, 2" head - fell slowly & settled at 1/4" leaving plenty of lacing.

S: Nice hearty aroma of chocolate, dark bread - big on malt.

T: A big glass of molasses soaked bread. Simply wonderful.

M: Medium to full body, lightly carbonated. Smooth and creamy. Perfect mouthfeel for the style.

D: At only 6.7% abv, it seems like a bigger beer - nap inducing. But it's so good, if you can stay awake, you won't want to stop.

4.73/5  rDev +9%

There's enough inside this bottle to keep any beer drinker busy for quite some time.

Poured a deliciously rich and dark reddish brown. Head rose slowly and doesn't go anywhere until the last inch or so is left. Left a light lacing on the way down.

A lot of sugary sweet smell out of this one with some fresh baked bread on the top and a very distinct but noble hop tinge.

To the mouth the small bubbles make this one velvety and smooth to the palate while still giving it an effervescent quality.

A bit of alcohol on top but with strong notes of caramel and sugar and a nice hop bitter to kick it over the edge...you could probably taste this one over and over and get something new.

I cant imagine a better double, this one is good for all occasions and stands as a classic...I keep the ram hung on my rear view to pay homage to this great beer.

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

I am a huge fan of German beers and I have been wanting to try this particular beer...forever! Fortunately it is now available in Charleston.

Poured from a really cool bottle into a pint glass.

A. A rich dark brown with little or no head.

S. Strong bready malt aroma. Sweet molasses or brown sugar. Figs or raisins. A slight chocolate aroma.

T. Toasty bread, chocolate and tofee.

M. Like heaven! Goes down smooth with a rich toffee chocolate after taste.

D. Wow, I will have to break the bank, hide the car keys and drink a 4 pack myself.

A classic beer. The epitome of the style.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance - Dark cascading looks with medium sized bubbles.

Smell - Sweet malt smell with hints of alcohol.

Taste - Slight smoky wood flavor with slight sweetness towards the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with smooth texture.

Overall, flavorful and drinkable. Very enjoyable.

3.96/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours clear scarlet with a dark brown character in flat lighting. Medium to small, foamy, light tan head has a thin plateau of cream in the center. Somewhat sparse archipelago of lacing sticks just above the head. Aroma has a yeasty belgian character; alcohol has a strong presence. Mouthfeel is medium-creamy and has a light and crisp carbonation tingle. Flavor is woody and grassy with a background of banana-yeast, parmesan, molasses, and a nice spicy (but distant) hop bite. Thick, roasty, almost smoky malts throughout. Dry and bitter undertone in the finish along with more molasses sweetness; aftertaste is clean and slightly bitter.

Just an all around great beer. This is just my opinion, but damn near perfect for a dopple. This is my new favorite. I had it in a local place that takes pride in their German food and beer. It was a recomendation from the bartender that he hit out of the park. Thanks!

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked up a bottle at the Party Source in Syracuse.

A gorgeous beer with a bit thick head and lacing. The flavor isn't as rich as I'd like. It tastes of fruity licorice with back current and blueberry cobbler with a dry cocoa aftertaste. The mouthfeel here is fantastic, smooth and creamy with a bitter edge. Really wonderful balancing here. I'd like more flavor, but at the same time, it lacks the overpowering licorice root that other doppelbocks like Spaten's have that I don't care for as much. Definitely the best doppel I've had.

More cowbell (see below).

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a very dark almost black brown with a creamy tan colored head that refuses to disappear. Malts and more malts in the nose. There is a very faint roasted scent, but far removed from the roasted scents you'd find in a stout. Smooth as velvet mouthfeel with very fine carbonation. Almost syrupy malted taste with a slight hint of alcohol. Bitterness and malts meld into one beautiful flavor finishing dry. I love to use this as a marinade if I can find courage enough to part with a bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

from an 11.2oz bottle poured a very dark brown almost black with a nice frothy tan head.

smells of sweet coffee and some light roasted malts.

tastes excellent, malty, slighty fruity, slighty chocolatley, with a perfect balance of bitterness at the end.

medium bodied with very little carbonation, it goes down creamy smooth.

drinkabilty is excellent, i would drink it all the time if it were a bit cheaper.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Deep, dark burgundy. Dense head that coats the glass as it takes its time receding.

S: Rich fruity esters. Grassy notes come out with some warmth.

T: Round falvors. Dark fruits paired with bittersweet chocolate. Nice use of bittering hops. The estery smell pairs nicely with a subdued butterscotch tastes. Slight sourness in the aftertaste.

M: Perfect for this beer. Full bodied and coating, but not flat. A tough balance to pull off.

D: I can't imagine an occasion that wouldn't benefit from this beer. Even breakfast.

4.36/5  rDev +0.5%

Deep brown with a tinge of red in the glass. Not a verry impressive head, but what was there left some sticky tan lace.

Wonderful, heavy boquet. Warm malt with a bit of toffee and chocolate.

The flavor is delicious. Malty and carmel from start to finish. There is a tiny bit of bitterness in the finish to take the candy edge off. Very well balanced and tasty. Did I say it tasted good too?

Nice mouthfeel. Nothing to complain about there.

Almost too drinkable. I could see killing a sixer of this and passing out. Good thing I don't have a sixer, but I do wish I had another.

4.19/5  rDev -3.5%

I am new to Doppelbock, and the $12 4-pack was a little steep, but I assumed it was good, because the other Ayinger I have tried were. That being said:

Appearence: I opened the bottle and foam shot out over the top. Roudh car ride maybe? Poured into a pint glass, it had a large head that I let settle in the fridge. It was dark but when I held it up to the light it appeared to have a reddish hue to it.

Smell: Was great! I love malt and this beer screamed extra malt.

Taste: Good, I found the alcohol to be a little intrusive, maybe overshadowing the malt that I love. I am new to this style, and while I like it, this didn't really impress me, as in I wouldn't pay the $12 bucks for a 4-pack.

Mouthfeel: Was sharp to the tongue but not sure if it was acidic or carbonation.

Drinkability: I wouldn't make this a session beer, but not bad with a light dinner, maybe chicken or a salad. I am guessing that this is a good example of the style but maybe not the best.
cheers guys!

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer poured very dark with no head into a snifter. (I was able to raise a frothy tan head on the second glass - but it didn't linger) It gave chocolate, oats, coffee, and malt aromatics and went down silkily smooth.

This beer has a low carbonation and high drinkability. Once in your mouth, earthy and bitter tastes come forward and move into the aftertaste - with a bite of alcohol at the end.

I am new to the Doppelbock style, so I cannot compare it to its kindred. As a stand-alone example, I was very pleased.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

My imperial pint glass is Ayinger-branded, so I figure I ought to try their flagship beer. Otherwise I'd be, like, a total poseur.

Very dark, mostly opaque. Shows through a semi-clear ruby (kind of a redder version of cola) when held direct to light. Finger and-a-half of tan head that goes away quickly, leaving a thin layer of foam on top. Not much lacing.

Brown sugary, coffee smell with something funky and maybe slightly herbal underneath

Wow, I was expecting cloying sweetness (the couple of dopplebocks I've had before had that unflattering characteristic), but each mouthful is incredibly complex. I'm totally going to miss some flavors here, but there's sweet toffee right off the bat, transitioning into some even darker coffee flavors, then a touch of that herbal (maybe not herbal; earthy?) stuff as it dries out, and just a little bit of funky sourness at the end. Nice clean finish that sticks with you. Definite coffee and something that reminds me of Ron de Barrilito Tres Estrellas, a high-quality Puerto Rican rum.

Medium to light thickness with moderate to light carbonation. The lighter carbonation is a bonus; I'm sure too much fizz would kill the flavor.

Very drinkable. It goes down easy, but its complexity demands your attention. Definitely worth trying, and a great beer to give to anyone who claims not to like lagers.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured a creamy, off-white, but mostly-diminishing head atop a beautifully deep, oily hued combination of amber and reddish-brown. The smell is purely, and of pure grains and cereals. Really, a wonderful presentation of the style. Deep color and deep aroma. All this before the first sip, I can't wait. A light hoppy tinge is another enticing factor to this one.

The initial flavor is slightly sweet, with the grains and malts really plotting themselves firmly on your palate. A slightly acidic warmth is present as well.

This is a great shining example of what this style is to be. The mouthfeel is a medium body, and a medium-length finish.

This is the best of any bock or doppelbock I have ever had. It has convinced me to expand myself away from ales more.

3.48/5  rDev -19.8%

From notes written a couple of weeks ago:

11.2oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $2.99. I picked it up because I hadn't had this beer for some time and was amazed to discover I'd never reviewed it.

Poured a super dark brown that took on a very slight ruby hue when held to the light. Decent sized tan head that dropped after a couple of minutes. Modest sheets of lace that slide down the sides of my pintglass quickly.

The nose is of molasses and mildly bitter chocolate. Not a whole lot else going on. Seems a little subdued for a doppelbock.

The sense of something that's a little too sedate for it's own good continues to the taste. The taste is mildly chocolaty, with a little balancing bitterness thrown in, but it's very mellow.

The mouthfeel is a little thin for the style. With a doppelbock I expect a meal in a glass - this ain't it.

Not a bad tasting beer, but nevertheless disappointing. Either this has been dumbed down in the couple of years since I had it or I've learned to expect more. Either way, if there's another doppelbock available, I'll be reaching for it before grabbing this one again.

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a beautiful deep brown, almost black, with a robust tan head that fades to some lacing. The smell was sweet, almost fig with coffee hints. The taste was very good, cream, coffee, grain. The mouthfeel was creamy smooth, slightly thick with a bit of carbonation. The drinkability was very good, this is a beer i like to savor for a while but its highly drinkable. Just because of the richness its not a brew I could have too many of in a sitting.

I won a friendly poker game last night so this beer seemed like a good choice for a nightcap due to the name. I poured it into an over-sized Arrogant Bastard glass and realized the glass was just like the Celebrator glass, only huge. It was a serious dark brown, with ruby edges and a frothy tan head. The smell was roasty, toasty, and malty. The taste was toasty and I swear I detected licorice in there. This was a good beer but I think it tastes better on tap. It is also a little pricey at $3 for 11oz. Still, one of the best German beers I have tried.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

I woudln't call myself religious, but if there is a god, his refrigerator is certainly stocked with Ayinger Celebrator. With the increasing trend of beers aiming to be bigger and hoppier than ever before, the perfect balance of this gem is something I am in awe of.

Drink this now. And then drink it again.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

A - Very dark pour, nice caramel head.

S - A lovely sweet chocolate caramel coffee malt.

T - Sweet, but not too much, and the chocolate/coffee flavors come out on the palate as well as in the nose.

M - Velvety, but not thick.

D - Very drinkable, but watch your enthusiam because they ain't cheap!

3.64/5  rDev -16.1%

Aromas of chocolate, maple, burnt sugar. Smelled kind of like a tootsie roll and some licorice. Smelled something like an aged port.

It was dark brown in appearance with ruby red highlights. It had a big biege head with good retention. It did leave some lace but not much.

It tasted sweet. I tasted flavours of raisons, cherries, grapefruit, dark fruits. It was a little vinous. I also tasted some sweet coffee and chocolate. There was some hop flavour/bittering to inhibit the sweetness from overpowering.

Mouthfeel was full-bodied. Average carbonation.

Overall I think this is a good dopplebock, one that I will try again.

4.41/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured a lovely deep mahogany brown that was barely transparent, with ruby highlights and a thin beige head. Aroma was sweet, maybe a bit chocolaty.

This is one hell of a smooth, yet complex beer. There are definite notes of dark fruits, coffee, some chocolate, and even a subtle hop presence. Much more enjoyable as it warmed up. Mouthfeel was full-bodied and well carbonated. Even though it was a touch on the heavy side, I could have a few of these. This really is a great and interesting beer experience.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. Poured a ruby read with a medium but attractive tan head and good lacing. Nose is fantastic, with fruits, citrus, and chocolate, and just a little coffee. Very smooth mouthfeel and a flavor of chocolate, coffee, and toast. But not burnt toast. A remarkable brew. Slightly dry finish with a nice touch of hops. Best dopplebock ever for me.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.