Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: the color was dark brown with ruby highlights. 1/2" head fell to a surface foam in a few minutes.

Smell: the aroma was sweet, as caramel and hints of chocolate were detectable.

Taste: The flavor was very malty and softly sweeet. Caramel, chocolate, molasses, and prunes are balanced with a mild bitterness. Alcohol level is barely noticable on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: smooth at the start. The finish was also smooth, and the flavors lingered on the tongue for while after swallowing.

Drinkability: Nicely drinkable, and this is a great version of the style.

Gavage, Nov 20, 2005
3.93/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A robust creamy tan head, over a semi-translucent black body with ruby edges. Meager lace and head retention. The aromas are dominated by rich caramel and chocolate malt, although a touch of hops and some apple undertones pull through. Malts again dominate the palate with a combination of toasted caramel and chocolate. There are some tart cherry fruit and slight smoky flavors in here too. A background of hops as well. Medium in body. A lasting slight crispness in the mouth, finally breaks for a smooth finish and a dry aftertaste.

My first foray in to the world of bocks. I'm a self-profesed malt lover, however I found the body to be a bit lean and the taste sligthly acidic-- both of which detracted from my enjoyment of this brew's world-class malt profile.

Shovelbum, Nov 16, 2005

I don't think I like this one as much as the Paulaner Salvator doppelbock, even though it seems to be more popular on this site. Doesn't quite do it for me though.

This was my second of four bottles brought back to Toronto from Texas (yes, Texas). Don't think you can find this stuff at the LCBO. Anyway, poured it (as usual) into a standard pint glass. A deep burgundy colour with a very small head.

Scents of raisins, cherries, bitter chocolate, and more alcohol than I really expected from a beer that isn't particularly strong.

Flavour is quite nice -- raisins, fruits, some hops. Not as complex as the Paulaner Salvator, although some good gruyere cheese brought out some additional nutty and butterscotch flavours (a great match!).

Mouthfeel is smooth, if a bit dry, and there's a somewhat bitter aftertaste which detracts from the overall impression.

I don't want to give the idea that I didn't like this beer -- it's quite good. But I'm not sure if it quite deserves its reputation, in my opinion. But, what do I know?!

crwills, Nov 14, 2005
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to battlekow for the trade. My first beer with its own necklace. She's certainly the belle of the ball.

Pours a dark dark brown, almost proter dark, with a finger of khaki head that wanes, but never vanishes. Nose is heavy on the caramel malts, go figure, with some coffee and some interesting raisin/prune/date notes. Smells like some Baltic porter found its way into my bottle. Taste is similar with dense caramel/toffee malts and some dark fruity notes with hints of coffee grounds. Mouthfeel is rich and chewy, the alcohol very subdued. Overall a very interesting dopplebock, again with surprising baltic porter qualities. It's good, I don't know about 13th best beer in the world good though. Still a unique beer worth trying.

Golden2wenty1, Nov 10, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

After gentle decanting into my glass, the head continues to grow. It's tan and dense. It slowly shrinks leaving some lacing. The beer itself is a dark ruby-cola color.

The smell during the pour is chocolate, sweet malt, and alcohol. The taste bears that out. It has dried fruit (although not really fruity), prune, and other sweetness. It's balanced off by the roasty chocolate and coffee flavors. There could be a slight acidic edge. Amazing. Little hop aroma or bitterness. Some hop flavor. Bitterness arises from the roasted malt.

The mouthfeel... it's full. Almost sticky, but not. It feels your mouth but keeps you wanting more. After my first, I easily could keep drinking. It doesn't go down super fast, but it's still really, really nice. Great beer.

skynxnex, Nov 08, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Ohhh man talk about a brew..! It is called the Celebrator for one reason, after you drink some of this you'll be celebrator-ing all night baby.

After a mixed 6 pack of beers I did have some nice picks and saved this one for last ... man was I in for a nice treat.

This appearance is a mildy dark german beer with a great bottle for advertisement.

Both smell and taste and amazing! After about two sips of this , the 1st word that came out of my mouth "Umm beef stew!" did remind me of some stew but thats not bad was an amazing tasting doppledock.

Mouthfeel and drinkability would usualy be low since I would see how some wouldnt dig the "beef stew" feel to it but I have to say , I myself do dig dem damn meat beers!

I am for sure buying alot more of the celebrator for tomorrow night!!

Gaben, Nov 07, 2005
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Latest in my quest to expand my experience of German beers. Poured from a bottle into a Watou brewery chalice. Dark chocolate brown with thick khaki head, really inviting. The aroma was enticing as well, but I think I prefer the weizenbock aroma over the doppebock. Just my preference...

Taste was good, malty and a little roasty. The main thing I will rave about was the mouthfeel. Coated everywhere, and felt so smooth. Really awesome in that aspect.

Excellent dopplebock, although Paulaner Salvator is a bit better in my opinion.

TurdFurgison, Nov 06, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Pours a super clear deep reddish brown color with a two inch tan head of tight bubbles at first pour. The head acted like it wanted to stick around for a while. A thin foam stays on top of the beer the entire session, and it leaves an attractive tan lace around the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Lots of toasty notes along with a hint of chocolate. There are some Melanoidins here, but they aren't as assertive as they are in Optimator. A bit of caramel is more noticeable as it warms, but the alcohol is reserved.

Taste: Really rich flavor with a smooth sweet malt backbone and some toasty/earthy notes resting on top. There is a bit of a plum flavor here along with the chocolate and caramel. There really aren’t any hops noticeable until late in the finish. The sweetness is the dominant force in the flavor. There is a slight hint of alcoholic warming long after the finish. It is not lacking in body, but I would personally like it a lot more if it had a bit more girth to it.

Opinion: I am a BIG fan of DoppelBocks, and they probably make up a third of the beers I make. This is one fine example of the style. Most homebrewers any more think that this style should be really big, but this beer comes in at 6.7%. That isn't too big, but it doesn't lack flavor due to the alcohol content being on the low side for the style. This is a world class beer, and one to be enjoyed!

SkeeterHawk, Nov 04, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Sampled: 10.30.05

Appearance is dark with reddish hues. Looks almost like root beer. A thick head of foam upon pour, fades slowly leaving moderate lacing.

Aroma is at first a touch metallic. Not sure how long this one had been sitting in the cooler, but it may have been suspect. I was a little disappointed as I knew the potential of the brew, but further sniffs warranted slight redemption. Roasted malts and brown sugar rose up to tickle my nostrils.

Taste was better than the smell. Phew! Very roasty, with HUGE malt presence. Sweet like molasses, but an excellent bitter hop finish created a nice balance. The beer was low carbed in the mouth and while it felt lighter early in the glass (colder), it felt like it thickened and got richer as it warmed. Never too much, but a definitive difference over the time period in which I drank it.

The malts are huge here, so depending on how much you like that aspect will determine how drinkable this is. I’m still new to the doppelbock realm (only my second), so I’m still acquiring the taste for what I’m looking for. It made it a slow goer for me, but one I enjoyed while it went.

GolgiIPAratus, Nov 03, 2005
4.08/5  rDev -6%

A- dark brown with ruby highlights when held to the light. light tan head. retention is poor..after a minute there was no head to speak of.

S- very malty with hints of chocolate and cherries.

T- unsweetened chocolate, roasted grain, light fruit and hops. overall very well balanced.

M- medium body with lots of carbonation.

D- very well balanced makes this easy to drink.

overall- lots of hype with this beer but all in all it held up pretty well to my expections. the best thing i can say about this beer is although it has a lot of different flavors going on its nicely balanced.

Gritsak, Nov 03, 2005
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Probably the doppelbock to judge all other doppelbocks by. Poured for me at Tria in Philly. Nice head. Very dark black. Mouthfeel is thick. Roasted flavors throughout. Chocolate malt at the forefront of the taste. In the higher range of alcohol perecentages, but eminenently drinkable.

GeoffFromSJ, Oct 30, 2005
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Wow, what a great, complicated beer. Great with food and on its own. Took me some time to appreciate these... my girlfriend thought it just reeked of molasses.

Poured into a pilsener glass. About 50 degrees. Shows a dark, dark brown with ruby highlights. Much bubbling along the sides of the glass. It was hard to form the little tan head which soon faded, but left lacing for about half the glass.

Smells slightly of coffee and cocoa, but there's definitely a good deal of molasses, pumpernickle and cinnamon bread. Perhaps a hint of black currants, but I didn't detect a whole lot of fruits. A slight bite that's hard to characterize. I wouldn't call it citrusy or grassy or astringent, but maybe a bit of acridity.

Taste is about more of the same, but after the sweet, bready bite I detect a sweet strawberry/cherry center. The sweetness fades into a bit of dryness, but mostly an earthy aftertaste. Mushrooms or St. Nectare cheese I recently had in Paris.

Medium mouthfeel, slightly weak going down, and definitely weak if you drink it too cold. Surely has a lot more gravity than most lagers i'm familiar with! Coats the mouth... aftertaste lingers.

Worth the 15$ I paid for the 4 pack (including tax). Great with pork & an apple / cranberry sauce & buttered red potatoes.

fromage, Oct 29, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Im a huge fan of the dopplebock style and this brew is a fine example. Pours a Dark copperish color with a nice light tan head about an inch thick. Smells of sticky fruit, raisons, very slight citrus, and very sweet. Delicious! Sweet Caramel/molasses flavor up front with some fruitiness, lightly bready and has slight alcohol in the after taste. Very smooth. This is a complex beer that has flavors i cant quite put my finger on.

Matthew, Oct 27, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

aroma: slightly grapey smell, once poured there is some maltiness, however the smell os more of estery fruits and cereal like qualities.
Apperance: Its a dark flat brown, there are little rudy or red tones to it to make it seem more vibrant in color. No sediment in bottle
Taste: strong tastes, very complex. head itself tastes sort of copper-like, not bad. Malt flavor has a raisen/dried fruit/prune flavor to it. Pleasant mold bite on the palate. Slight alcoholic finish to it with a warming effect.
Mouthfeel: this is the most striking feature to the beer. The flavors grab hold of the tongue and coat it. It has a thickness to it that doesn't quit. Continually rubbed my tongue on the roof of my mouth as iff to clear something. The wholeness of the mouth feel experience is nice.
Overall: not a session beer. I don't care for the style, however the mild fruity malt character is true to the style and it is well done. The mouthfeel alone makes it worth a try. Not something I'd drink again, but had to try due to its high rating and often talked about qualities.
This would maybe pair well with a strong beef stew.

warchez, Oct 26, 2005
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

pours dark dark red with a finger and a half head that fizzles down and leaves a veil of bubbles over the top of the beer. for some reason when i smelled this all i could think of were concord grapes...even though there is absolutely nothing that has to do with concord grapes and this. very odd. anyway, there is a nice roasty malt and hop nose and it brings to mind bannana nut crunch cereal. i actually held up a box of this to my nose then smelled the celebrator and i'm quite positive thats what it smells like. there's also prevelent alcohol in the nose. alright, time to taste this!! well, well, this is not what i expected to taste! the only other doppelbock i've had is hooker's liberator and that had a tremendous chocolate taste. this on the other hand tastes of bread, crackers, cereal, etc. definately very interesting and triguing. i could drink this all the time if pressed. going to definately be picking up a four pack the next time i go to yankee.

radshoesbro, Oct 26, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

Celebrator looks awesome. It's a thick brown with a huge tan head that soon fades to a thin, even layer of bubbles. Plus--the necklace! How many beers are classy enough to have a necklace?

The primary scent is like baby food. I think it's a combination of caramel and dark fruits/anise, but to me it comes off as candied carrots. I'm not a fan of candied carrots.

The taste, fortunately, gets it better; the caramel and anise are more distinct. There's a little nuttiness, and it finishes with a very pleasant roasted flavor. I'm really not getting much chocolate.

Celebrator was okay, but honestly, this seems more like a weird nut brown ale than a doppelbock lager.

battlekow, Oct 25, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance -- I like the design on the bottle. The plastic goat is also nice.

I poured the beer into a dimpled mug. Poured blackish brown. Very nice thick, foamy head. Cappuccino colored head. Very appealing.

Smell -- Very malty. It smells like bread and cookies. Can also distinguish a carmel scent. I do believe I can also pick up faint traces of hops.

Taste -- Sweet, bready, and malty. Reminds me of the taste of a bowl of cereal.

Mouthfeel -- Thick and heavy. Kind of chewy. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability -- I could drink a couple of these, but would probably end up feeling overly full. It is a nice easy fall drinking doppelbock. Very filling!

ClearDog, Oct 22, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

11.2 oz brown bottle, no freshness date, served in a 24 oz Pilsner

Pours a dark brown with light brown glowing through on the edges. The head is thick, foamy, cascading and has a dark tan color. As it dissipates dips and valleys spread across the top. Very attractive.

The smell is heavy on the roasted side, some slight hop earthiness comes through, and then a definite yeast smell. Also some notes of dark chocolate and maybe even what I found to be pan-roasted rasberries. Very interesting.

The taste is very good. Heavy on the roasted sweetness. A little sourness like dark chocolate. Leaves a spicy aftertaste on your tongue, which is the only time you taste the alcohol. A very heavy note of molasses jumps to the forefront as the beer warms a little. A little fruity and earthy in the background. Quite complex and good. Mouthfeel is incredibly thick, probably as close to motor oil as anything I’ve drunk. I really like it.

The only tangible downside to this beer is the sheer weight of it. It’s thick as hell, and quite strong. A few sips of this and my stomach is getting pretty heavyl. Yow. Not a session beer. But definitely one worth sipping and pondering.

UberWasser, Oct 20, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Purchased from Woody's Smokes and Brews, Franklin, TN.

Not a big fan of Dopplebocks. Take that as you will.

This beer pours dark with a thick off-white head. Very black body, but with a reddish tinge at the bottom of the glass. The head is thick and dissipates slowly.

I found it to have a roasty, matly aroma with complex flavor notes, almost licorice-like in quality. Enjoyable.

Overall taste was very similar, although I thought it was a bit more complex, with notes of coffee, chocolate, nuts, as well as the aforementioned licorice. It also had a bitter finish and aftertaste, but not unpleasantly so.

Mouthfeel was medium, with not much else to report, and drinkability was decent. Average scores on both fronts.

A note: After drinking this beer, I happened to wander past my fiancee, who got a whiff of me and was intrigued. She's not a fan of beer in the slightest, but I think the maltiness piqued her interest. She gave me a closer whiff, then started her own "tasting" by kissing me lightly on the lips several times, each time coming back with different flavors that she liked. (She's into wine and good food, and is probably a "supertaster".) She found licorice, coffee, pistachio nuts, and even bubblegum on me, and was getting more and more into it before suddenly reeling back and realizing that some unknown "beer" taste had just wafted into her consciousness, and now she was unable to enjoy the other flavors.

Does Ayinger make cologne or mouthwash? I can only wish.

danielharper, Oct 17, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate, despite anything you read.

I contrasted this to Young's Double Chocolate and I must say this beer can carry it's weight. Flavorful and worthy of the reputation I've heard about many times.

The hops predominate an a well-balanced brew that you can drink the entire day.

Clearly a winner in my book.

Pingotas, Oct 15, 2005
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

I've heard so much about this beer from BA that i just had to grab a four-pack at Sam's Wine and Liqour on Butterfield in Downers Grove, IL. When held directly into the light, it almost takes on a dried blood color. But when not directly in the light, the color is a dark chololate brown. The smell is of a pleasant toffee and malt note. The beer itself is any easy swalow, which was not what i was expecting from such a dark beer. This easy drinkability allows the drinker to let it be absorbed by the palate to soak as much flavor as possible. The taste mimics the smell exactly with a clean, smooth finish. This dopplebock ent well with hamburger and a cold tomato, onion gespacho very nicely.

scruffwhor, Oct 06, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a wonderful dark, dark malt color, with ruby highlights at the edge when held up to the light. A two-finger light tan head forms immediately, and the surface boils for quite some time. Eventually it fades down to a cap.

Smells of malts, vanilla, and honey. Very rich and sweet, and pretty direct.

Taste up front is just loaded with malts. Some roasted, some not, and a small amount of completely unsweetened chocolates that show up near the end. Initial sweetness like biting into a plum, followed by a very aggressive set of hops, spiced and tangy. Finish is extremely smooth, and the slightly bitter tang of hops leaves you craving more of the malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly "big" for a beer that's only 6.7% ABV. Extremely carbonated. Leaves a sweet slickness on the lips, and a tangy layer of hop oils on the tongue. Excellent combination.

This stuff is scarily drinkable. I had to open a second and let it sit so I could try this warmer. I'd finished the first bottle without giving it any time to warm up, by accident. Definitely the best dopplebock I've had so far.

waldowin, Oct 05, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Were it not for the healthy deep tan head, this would look like a cola in the glass. Dark brown, reddish orange hints when held to the light.

The smell s a bit airy and yeasty, with some medium maltiness underneath. It smells like the homemade crusty brown bread of my youth. That smell brings back nice memories.

The flavour has hints of slightly over-caramelized brown sugar, molasses, some subtle spicy hops, and a tanginess just at the end. Very nice.

The mouthfeel s just the thck side of medium, and is not overly assertive. Carbonation is tight and just about at a perfect level.

This is a very drinakble beer, and would make a fabulous sessioner. It gets your attention, but doesn't smack you around.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Oct 04, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

this thing has been sitting in my fridge since july and I finally got around to it

appearance: pours a rather dark mahogany with ruby highlights, a foamy tan head forms immediately

smell: very bready, caramel, molasses, sweet apples

taste: sweet caramel, very sweet malts with a certain bready characteristic that is prevelant, red apples, mild alcohol...a tasty doppelbock

mouthfeel: medium body, smooth and creamy

drinkability: above average

dirtylou, Oct 03, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

This beer pours a dark brown, although a little red shows around the edges where the light comes through. Thick head that dissapates quickly, and laces the glass very lightly.

The smell is of malty bread, and some earthy tones.

The taste is huge malt sweetness with a little taste of hops at the end. Molasses and bread with some earthy notes. Huge and complex. Very interesting beer.

The mouthfeel is a little chewy, but the carbonation takes a little away from the overall experience.

Overall a good double bock.

gotbeer, Sep 30, 2005