Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

The guy at my liquor store told me that I NEED to try this beer, and now I understand why. The first sip actually made me grin with joy at finding such a beer. I am sitting here drinking it now straight from the 330ml bottle.

The taste is strongest just after swallowing and is good malt with a taste of hops if you try to taste it. It's not nearly as strong as other doppelbocks I have enjoyed, but is by no means weak. The slightly hoppy aftertaste does dissipate very quickly though, but that's OK with me seeing how I prefer a malty taste.

Very clean and refreshing while it is in your mouth, and very thirst quenching. I almost think it might be a little too thin for a dark beer, but it doesn't seem to detract from the taste, so I guess that just means that one can drink more without getting full

A top of the line beer from a top of the line brewery.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Ayinger Celebrator
330 ml brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

* Christmas Eve 2005 *

Pours a chestnut brown color with a thick tan colored head on top. Trails of lace are rather minimal. Ruby highlights on the bottom of the pint glass.

Whiffs of malts, figs and prunes.

This is an exceptional tasting doppelbock. The mouthfeel is chewy and thick with a sweet caramel twist. The malt presence here is off the charts. Hints of melted caramel and juicy prunes. So smooth and drinkable, it's scary. This beer is pure quality and so enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

A thanksgiving gift from my father, due to be opened for a little holiday cheer.

A - That deep dark glassy color in a great dopplebock with the red hue against the light. No head, and a dash of lace.

S - Nice and sweet with a malty body to it. Perhaps a little bit of licorice also.

T - Rich and malty up front with a bit lighter of finish. I am used to seeing (tasting rather) more body in the closing, but not so much. Not to say it's watery, but needed just a little more "oomph" at the end.

M - A beer with a body without being pushy. It gives you a mouthful with a sip, but still slides right down, exceptional mouthfeel.

D - Drinkability is great, not decimating for a dopplebock and keeps you wanting the next sip after the one before.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

The color is very dark but you can detect a bit of amber color. Decent head retention. Smells of fruit and vegetables. I detected sweet corn, maybe of hint of raspberry, very interesting. Tastes sugary sweet and more sweet corn flavor. Medium bodied, not too thick. Very unique, I would drink it again if paired with the right cuisine.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours very dark, has a tan creamy head, with lacing clinging to the glass for dear life. Smell is very malty with dark fruits in there as well. Taste is malty as one would espect, but never too sweet to deter you from the beer. Mouthfeel is thick and pleasant, almost chewy. Very drinkable, as I found myself reaching for another, great to have with a nice steak.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Poured a tint which is on the border of black but is actually a super dark reddish-brown mahogany. Head stands strong lasting forever and leaving its remnants crusted onto the side of the glass. Nose was damp and heavy with malty notes including coffee, burnt toast, chocolate, and some alcohol. Taste is very big and roasty, somewhat like a light porter in a way but with a clean bright texture which sets it waaay apart from an average beer. Complex flavors unfold as the beer warms and come to include suggestions of mocha, chewy toffee, and a healthy dose of alcohol which isn't completely hidden and warms you quickly as this one goes down. Obviously a world-class brew which is certainly worth the price, simply exudes luxury.

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

I've been wanting to try it for a while to see if it's as good as everyone says it is. I'm usually skeptical of dopples as I've only had a few I really like - the cloying sweetness in some of them gets to me. Anyway... 330 mL slender bottle - it pours a brown/deep plum color with a fair amount of carbonation streams and a 1 finger, light brown head that is dense and sooo creamy, leaving sheets of bubbles all the way down the glass, eventually turning into lace. Beautiful to say the least. Smells of dark fruits, caramel, molasses, green hops, a grainy character, and a sweetness that comes close to candy, but nowhere near cloying. Tastes toasty with caramel, molasses, raisins, chocolate?, burnt malts?, vinous malts?, green/spicy hops, and a medium bitterness. I can't think of how a dopple could taste better than this. The body starts medium and smooth, becoming thicker and softer as I go. This beer is amazing (it just dethroned Ruination as my top-rated). Believe the hype - I'm getting at least a four pack next time.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

This was my first dopplebock and all I can say is give me more. This was poured from a bottle into a pint glass. The pour leaves a brownish beer which lightens as your near the bottle, the head is a foamy white. Taste is malty but not overdown or buttery. The flavor really exploded on this one as the temp increased with no hints of the alcohol just the incredible malts. I bought this in a four pack which was four months out of suggested serving time and still loved this. I also had this on tap at redbones a few weeks back and it was wonderful as well, I didn't review it at that time as I was eating the kick ass buffalo shrimp and wasn't in the note taking mood.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a good head and is dark and inviting. Smells good, like a malty sweet beer . It has a strong coffee flavor that's combined with a nice hoppy after taste. It's a smooth beer and is drinkable. It's flavor is strong, but that doesn't deter you from drinking it down. It holds a good lacing till the end and warms you nicely.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Oh man, what malty goodness this be. Dark and brooding, this beer has a nicely formed head.

Smells so sweet and powerful. Like bread with jam. Tons of berry scents in there, with bready malt notes. GOD IT SMELLS GOOD.

Tastes pretty damn good. Very malty, super sweet and thick. Literally like a meal in itself.

Damn, what a good beer.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

My first impression was a sharp similarity to Spaten Optimator... this lasted about .2 seconds until the richness and sweet complexity fully sank in. Quite a superior brew indeed - it is unquestionable after the creamy mouthfeel and nice aftertaste fade away.

Looks-wise it get's an 'A' in my book; nice and dark with a decent, tan/white head that slinks to the sides of the glass after a moment. Very dark, just a slight hint of dark mahogany apparent when holding up to a strong light source.

The taste reflects the look of it, what one would be hoping for in their heart-of-hearts after the languid pour... chewy and huge mouthfeel with a barley-malt and roasted taste. A little caramelly for a moment before the malts and light hoppy bitterness wash it away.

Delicious to the last drop. One of those session-but-shouldn't-be beers. Two thumbs up.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Dark brown with ruby highlights. Creamy and fluffy ecru head that slowly diminishes to a ringed cap. Decent lacing. Aromas of toffee malts, dried figs, dates, prunes. Tastes like rum-soaked dates rolling around in molasses. Not much hop presence; just a bit of stinging florals around the tongue at the beginning. Smoked turkey aftertaste. Boozier than I expected for only 6.7%. Bit of alcohol warming in the throat and stomach. Mouthfeel is huge, creamy, and chewy. For such a big and bold beer, this is quite drinkable. My first doppelbock, and I'll definitely be seeking some more.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a dark black with bright burgundy highlights with a creamy head that left nice lace. Smells a smokey sweet molasses and prunes. Tastes of mandarin sourness, molasses and a burnt smokey sweet finish. Mouth feel is smooth and thin. As assertive and potent as this beer is, it is surprisingly drinkable.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Dark rich brown,with a hint of a redish hue. Nice tan head and lace. Smell was carmel and malt. Light,but carboniated. Taste was rich, and full. Sweet,but well bittered at the finish. If you like the Spaten Optimator, try this, you will like it even more. Excellent!!

3.43/5  rDev -21%

I can sum my thought of this beer pretty quick: "Double Oktoberfest"

Now normally I don't like Munich, Vienna, or German Pale malts as are used a lot in Oktoberfest biers, but the flavors in this brew are rich and welcoming.

Looks like brown sugar and molasses showing ruby light under a tan finger of head. Smells strongly of German malts and a slight coffee bitterness.

Strong caramel and german malt with stinging carbonation adding to a bit of "twang". Hints of chocolate and molasses sneak through with a note of coffee roast bitternes.

Very drinkable for as much German Malt as there is.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

BB 08-06. Huge and thick lasting head with beigebrown taint. Darkbrown almost black beercollor. Nose is very sweet malty with burnt and caramellic hints. Taste is strong, burnt, caramellic sweet and well bittered. Yest this is an enjoyable bock bavarian style that makes you enjoy your brew to the max. Maybe litle overdone in maltsweetness in combination with heavy bitterness, however I love it. Great brew that I enjoyed all the way.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: the color was dark brown with ruby highlights. 1/2" head fell to a surface foam in a few minutes.

Smell: the aroma was sweet, as caramel and hints of chocolate were detectable.

Taste: The flavor was very malty and softly sweeet. Caramel, chocolate, molasses, and prunes are balanced with a mild bitterness. Alcohol level is barely noticable on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: smooth at the start. The finish was also smooth, and the flavors lingered on the tongue for while after swallowing.

Drinkability: Nicely drinkable, and this is a great version of the style.

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A robust creamy tan head, over a semi-translucent black body with ruby edges. Meager lace and head retention. The aromas are dominated by rich caramel and chocolate malt, although a touch of hops and some apple undertones pull through. Malts again dominate the palate with a combination of toasted caramel and chocolate. There are some tart cherry fruit and slight smoky flavors in here too. A background of hops as well. Medium in body. A lasting slight crispness in the mouth, finally breaks for a smooth finish and a dry aftertaste.

My first foray in to the world of bocks. I'm a self-profesed malt lover, however I found the body to be a bit lean and the taste sligthly acidic-- both of which detracted from my enjoyment of this brew's world-class malt profile.

I don't think I like this one as much as the Paulaner Salvator doppelbock, even though it seems to be more popular on this site. Doesn't quite do it for me though.

This was my second of four bottles brought back to Toronto from Texas (yes, Texas). Don't think you can find this stuff at the LCBO. Anyway, poured it (as usual) into a standard pint glass. A deep burgundy colour with a very small head.

Scents of raisins, cherries, bitter chocolate, and more alcohol than I really expected from a beer that isn't particularly strong.

Flavour is quite nice -- raisins, fruits, some hops. Not as complex as the Paulaner Salvator, although some good gruyere cheese brought out some additional nutty and butterscotch flavours (a great match!).

Mouthfeel is smooth, if a bit dry, and there's a somewhat bitter aftertaste which detracts from the overall impression.

I don't want to give the idea that I didn't like this beer -- it's quite good. But I'm not sure if it quite deserves its reputation, in my opinion. But, what do I know?!

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to battlekow for the trade. My first beer with its own necklace. She's certainly the belle of the ball.

Pours a dark dark brown, almost proter dark, with a finger of khaki head that wanes, but never vanishes. Nose is heavy on the caramel malts, go figure, with some coffee and some interesting raisin/prune/date notes. Smells like some Baltic porter found its way into my bottle. Taste is similar with dense caramel/toffee malts and some dark fruity notes with hints of coffee grounds. Mouthfeel is rich and chewy, the alcohol very subdued. Overall a very interesting dopplebock, again with surprising baltic porter qualities. It's good, I don't know about 13th best beer in the world good though. Still a unique beer worth trying.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

After gentle decanting into my glass, the head continues to grow. It's tan and dense. It slowly shrinks leaving some lacing. The beer itself is a dark ruby-cola color.

The smell during the pour is chocolate, sweet malt, and alcohol. The taste bears that out. It has dried fruit (although not really fruity), prune, and other sweetness. It's balanced off by the roasty chocolate and coffee flavors. There could be a slight acidic edge. Amazing. Little hop aroma or bitterness. Some hop flavor. Bitterness arises from the roasted malt.

The mouthfeel... it's full. Almost sticky, but not. It feels your mouth but keeps you wanting more. After my first, I easily could keep drinking. It doesn't go down super fast, but it's still really, really nice. Great beer.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Ohhh man talk about a brew..! It is called the Celebrator for one reason, after you drink some of this you'll be celebrator-ing all night baby.

After a mixed 6 pack of beers I did have some nice picks and saved this one for last ... man was I in for a nice treat.

This appearance is a mildy dark german beer with a great bottle for advertisement.

Both smell and taste and amazing! After about two sips of this , the 1st word that came out of my mouth "Umm beef stew!" did remind me of some stew but thats not bad was an amazing tasting doppledock.

Mouthfeel and drinkability would usualy be low since I would see how some wouldnt dig the "beef stew" feel to it but I have to say , I myself do dig dem damn meat beers!

I am for sure buying alot more of the celebrator for tomorrow night!!

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Latest in my quest to expand my experience of German beers. Poured from a bottle into a Watou brewery chalice. Dark chocolate brown with thick khaki head, really inviting. The aroma was enticing as well, but I think I prefer the weizenbock aroma over the doppebock. Just my preference...

Taste was good, malty and a little roasty. The main thing I will rave about was the mouthfeel. Coated everywhere, and felt so smooth. Really awesome in that aspect.

Excellent dopplebock, although Paulaner Salvator is a bit better in my opinion.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Pours a super clear deep reddish brown color with a two inch tan head of tight bubbles at first pour. The head acted like it wanted to stick around for a while. A thin foam stays on top of the beer the entire session, and it leaves an attractive tan lace around the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Lots of toasty notes along with a hint of chocolate. There are some Melanoidins here, but they aren't as assertive as they are in Optimator. A bit of caramel is more noticeable as it warms, but the alcohol is reserved.

Taste: Really rich flavor with a smooth sweet malt backbone and some toasty/earthy notes resting on top. There is a bit of a plum flavor here along with the chocolate and caramel. There really aren’t any hops noticeable until late in the finish. The sweetness is the dominant force in the flavor. There is a slight hint of alcoholic warming long after the finish. It is not lacking in body, but I would personally like it a lot more if it had a bit more girth to it.

Opinion: I am a BIG fan of DoppelBocks, and they probably make up a third of the beers I make. This is one fine example of the style. Most homebrewers any more think that this style should be really big, but this beer comes in at 6.7%. That isn't too big, but it doesn't lack flavor due to the alcohol content being on the low side for the style. This is a world class beer, and one to be enjoyed!

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Sampled: 10.30.05

Appearance is dark with reddish hues. Looks almost like root beer. A thick head of foam upon pour, fades slowly leaving moderate lacing.

Aroma is at first a touch metallic. Not sure how long this one had been sitting in the cooler, but it may have been suspect. I was a little disappointed as I knew the potential of the brew, but further sniffs warranted slight redemption. Roasted malts and brown sugar rose up to tickle my nostrils.

Taste was better than the smell. Phew! Very roasty, with HUGE malt presence. Sweet like molasses, but an excellent bitter hop finish created a nice balance. The beer was low carbed in the mouth and while it felt lighter early in the glass (colder), it felt like it thickened and got richer as it warmed. Never too much, but a definitive difference over the time period in which I drank it.

The malts are huge here, so depending on how much you like that aspect will determine how drinkable this is. I’m still new to the doppelbock realm (only my second), so I’m still acquiring the taste for what I’m looking for. It made it a slow goer for me, but one I enjoyed while it went.