Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,307 | Hads: 6,018

A classic of it's style. Deep and rich in colour. Hints of chocolate & roasted oates. A dry, warm finish, this beer is simply the perfect cold weather beer. I wouldn't go through a winter without it.

This is with out a doubt the quintessential dopplebock that all others should be judged against. The color and pour were great, with a great off white head and a nice mahogony brown color. The smell was all malt with a bit of a brown ale smell to it as well. The taste reminded me a lot of a nut brown but with an even more pronounced malt character and a hint of spice in there too. As far as dopplebocks go this is the best I've ever had....and it even came with a plastic goat!

I've had a good bit of this beer lately, and as far as I'm concerned, it is the picture-perfect, model doppelbock. There's been a good bit of talk about Sam Adams double bock lately, but Celebrator completely puts Sammy to shame.

The flavor is wonderfully complex. There's a fantastic slightly-burnt quality to this beer. Rich maple syrup tones as well. Chewy and roasty and full bodied. Lovely mocha head and a deep dark body. I found myself craving this out of nowhere in the middle of the day at work today, and I'm going to have to go back to my local bar for more.

Truly one of the most delicious beers in the world. The Paulaner monks practiced making awesome double bock beer for several centuries and they definitely got it right. If you are in LA, you can find this beer at Nick's in Beverly Hills. It is the only place I have ever seen it.

This beer pours a dark brown, that looks deep mohogany when held up to the light. It has a thick brown head that fades slowly, leaving many laces.

This beer boasts a strong bready malt aroma. Is has a sweet smell. Molasses or brown sugar. It has a dark fruit aroma also. Figs or raisins. A slight chocolate aroma is also present.

This beer tastes incredable. It tastes very toasty. Bready flavors are present. Also, chocolate and toffee are mixed in. I think this beer has a perfect mix of flavors.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a creamy, toffee like aftertaste. It is low in carbonation, but it does not detract from the beer.

I think this beer would make an excelent session beer. It is only slightly high in alcohol. The flavor is wonderful, and would probably never get old. This is definately a world class beer.

Never had a bock or dopplebock, so I figured start with the best right?

This is delicious, it pours a dark, deep, caramel color with a fingertip size head that clings to the glass. Definitely pick up on the malty, molasses smell on the nose and taste the exact smell with each sip. The flavor lingers around the mouth with almost a creamy smooth finish. Very easy to drink, very easy to love.

Poured from a bottle I bought at the local liquor store.

Can't think of anything I don't like about this one...simply the best dopplebock I've had the pleasure to quaff! Gotta love those little plastic goat thingys...used to have a collection of them, why? I dunno. Reccomended stuff.

I've drunk thousands of beers in my time and generally it takes special beers for me to have an overwhelmingly negative or positive reaction. I have had Celebrator in bottle and thought it very good but recently had it on tap and was blown away, possibly the most enjoyable three glasses of beer I have ever had. Wont even bother to rate the various aspects, from the initial sniff to final drop it is one helluva beer, Sourced fresh on tap made a believer of me.

appearance - comes in a neat little brown 12oz-i mean 11.2-oz- bottle. one of my favorite bottles, im not sure why, maybe its the artwork and the little goat, or maybe its because i know whats inside.
pours thick and really dark, classic dopplebock.

taste - extremely good. i find its noticeably better sipped out of a glass than from the bottle. my first try i was a bit diasappointed, but it has grown better and better with each bottle. extremely rich, complex, malty, flavorful, straightforward dopplebock with no hoppiness or fruityness, just pure malty goodness. slight presence of coffee and indeed a nutty presence as well. perfectly balanced. this is my kind of beer.

drinkability - i didnt want my last bottle to stop. i wanted to savor every last drop of it. im giving it a 5 for drinkability also, its hard to put the thing down, you could chug the whole damn bottle so easily, or just as easily sip it away. this is the best that beer gets(for me anyway). 5's across the board.

UPDATE 8-09: have recently delved into dark beers again. tried the korbinian, a rival of celebrator. NO DOPPLEBOCK IS CLOSE TO THIS BEER. CELEBRATOR WINS

Germany’s Finest:

The Mathematics of Carl Friedrich Gauss,
The Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke,
The Music of Johann Sebastian Bach,
A fine Maybach automobile,
The Bayern Munich Football Club,
A genuine Black Forest ham,
and Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock.

Pours a deep mahogany with a nice frothy head that dissipates slowly.

Molasses, caramel and toasted malt nose.

Taste is exquisite. Perfectly balanced malt, molasses, and hops. Truly a joy. Had to rate this all 5's for first time; it's even better than Korbinian.

Mouthfeel is outstanding. Perfect carbonation, just fantastic.

Extremely drinkable, I need more of this.

This beer defines doppelbock. It is nothing short of extraordinary.
If there is a better doppelbock, send me some, because I don't believe there is. Celebrator is rich in malts and elegant to boot, easy to drink and the smell is sweet and layered. Probably in my opinion in the top 5 of all beers in the world. The King of Doppelbocks.

Pours a very dark clear brown brew.

Smell is malt and a fine perfume. Smell is a bit sweet with some molasses smell.

Taste is all dark malt with a mild bitterness at the end. Spicy but not like a dark Belgian. The alcohol is well hidden and warms your whole body as you sip it.

Mouthfeel is perfect, a rich brew with a level of carbonation that tickles your tongue.

Super excellent Drinkability, a pleasure to sip anytime.

Absolutely the best Doppelbock I've ever had.

A- Deep dark brown color. A big fat sticky tan head with the best retention I've ever seen. It leaves itself all over the place yet somehow never leaves. Incredible.

S- Toasty malt and caramel toffee sweetness right off with a good clean citrus herbal hops presence and light spices. Nice biscuit and not too powerful but warm alcohol as well.

T- Holy complexity Batman! It's a lot of things but everything fits together as if God himself were the unity. Malt up front with the caramel sweetness then citrusy subtle spicy hops. Nice balanced hops bitterness combined with light fruit flavors and toasty biscuit. Finish is lingering with light sweetness and grains.

M- This is a huge creamy thick full bodied brew. Very smooth. Carbonation is part of the harmony that is the hand of God in a bottle.

A: Dark dark brown with an off-white head. The head faded in about 5 minutes. It looks like a perfect glass of onyx.

S: Sweet and dark with caramel and slight musk of coffee

T: Savory and dark, aftertaste is middle-of-palette and crisp. Notes of cinnamon, caramel, honey. Strong grain presence

M: Smooth, good carbonation level without being excessive. Not as thick as stout, but good consistency so it doesn't go down like water.

This beer was a profound experience. I was at a Brazilian steakhouse on somebody else's check. I ordered a Doppelbock of some other brand I didn't recall. They told me they had run out of that and that this was the only other doppelbock they had. I said thanks and they poured. I have never been a benefactor of such beautiful and just coincidence in my life. It's like meeting your future wife in a car accident. It's like finding a gold deposit in your basement after a meteor caves in your house. This beer changed the way I thought about life. I'm not exaggerating. I do not know how else to put it.

Dark brown/mahogany (almost black) with a full creamy tan-light brown head, decent carbonation, and clumpy lace. Big malty aroma -- coffeeish and almost chocolatey. Big malty coffee-ish flavor dominates with dark fruitiness noticeable. Full bodied, rich and creamy.

The Standard in Doppelbocks !! Awesome and Pure Bliss !! Unlike many expensive beers, this one is worth the price...

Label states: Finest Bavarian Double Bock Beer

($3.99 / 11.2 oz. / 330 ml)

Wowww this is an ineradicable beer. Payed $5 per bottle when I picked few. Comes with a ram on the neck which I have not seen anything like before. The price is definitely justifiable. One of the best beers I have had. Another great beer from Ayinger.

Wow, best Doppelbock I have tried so far.

A: Awesome appearance, Extremely dark with a nice head that stays as long as it's there. Gorgeous.

S: Has a great aroma of chocolate, coffee, and a strong molasses sent. It is not to overpowering though great balance.

T: Molasses is the first flavor, then it almost has a chocolate flavor to it, along with a nice malt and hops taste to it. It has a awesome sweetness to it but definitely not too much, just enough to make it flavorful, along with a little bitterness, but not at the finish. Good carbonation, the alcohol is just right. German brewing at its finest.

M: Very creamy, so damn good! Just an awesome feel to it.

D: Infinity on the Drinkability, I would get drunk on this not because I wanted to get drunk, but because it's so damn good. Highly recommend it, best Doppelbock out there.

Trust me, you need to try this, it's worth getting. Exceeds the reputation.

This is the Mercedes Benz of Dopplebocks. Truly an outstanding beer. An alluring brown/tan/mocha color that invites the upper lip to investigate it a little further. A noseful of the caramel/cocoa aroma that these types are lusted for. Great taste that is synonymous with the scent, only amplified. It holds a bold presence as its body commands and navigates it's way past you palate and around your tongue.

According to my opinion, and compared to approx. 2500 beers, this is by far the best beer in the world. It's absolutely flawless. Until now I have managed to taste it only from a bottle but it is said that it is available "von fass" (draught) during May. Drinking a Celebrator is a unique experience that starts from the moment it comes to your table for the first time, until... the day you die?? The first thing that will catch your eye is the bottle. I usually don't pay attention, but the uniqueness of the label and the little "bock" that hangs from it tell you two things: It's a beer that has a lot of tradition behind it, and that it is made by people who pay attention to details. And then you serve it... Its dark ruby-red / brown color plays with your imagination as well as it does with light. Its full aroma reaches your brain gradually. At first, I thought it was impossible to have a bouquet of aromas, so full and well-balanced. This beer smells of spring rain, wet wood and discreet flowers. The worst part is the 3-5 seconds wait it takes to settle. It takes for ever... But when you taste it you won't believe that such thing is possible! The world will subside and all of your senses will busy cherishing the unique feeling of drinking a Celebrator. No words. Perhaps I am over-reacting but have you tried it?

Suggestions: Serve at a temperature of ~5 deg. C in a tulip shaped glass. Accompanies well most plates (red/white meat, vegetables, fruit, chocolate) but the best way to enjoy is with just some pretzels.

Huge efferescent whiffs of cocoa's and alchohal's and hard toffee candy. Frothy and lumpy pale tan head, deep dark brown with a tint of dark red. Full body, creamy silky smooth texture. Slight roasted caramel and brown sugars on the palate. Quiet whispers of a bitter hops presense.

Compared to Optimator and Salvator, Celerbrator Doppelbock is much more mellow. Soothing to the touch, and relaxing to drink. Truely exceptional.

Poured from bottle to snifter.

Dark, dark walnut brown with very small, creamy head.

Smells kind of like molasses.

Taste is a lot like the Ayinger Dunkel, but stronger. A bit sweeter. Dark bread, molasses, coffee. I found it to have a nice bit of bitterness in the finish, more than some of the others would suggest. It really needs it to try to balance the heavy malts up front.

Mouthfeel is a bit heavy, bordering on a warm syrup, but not burdensome to drink. Carbonation is light and subdued.

Overall, like the Dunkel from this brewery, it's my favorite in the style. The Dopplebock seems to get a bit more praise but I feel the similarities through and through. It's a perfect pre-meal in a bottle on a cool autumn day. Love it!

From Orpheus Rock (3.5€) In Duvel glass. Watching Cinderella (2015)Very drinkable and with a great flavor and taste. Demonstrates that lagers are not always worse than ales as many people think

Poured into my favorite tasting snifter (how's that for pretentious). This is one that I really have to control myself with so I can enjoy every drop!

Very opaque with frothy head that never quits.

Smells malty, a great attribute for a beer of this genre'.

Tastes malt, molasses, some hop and very light alcohol. Fills your mouth with flavor.

Feels almost perfect. Smooth, creamy and coats the tounge perfectly.

One of my favorite beers to date! I have had a lot of beers in my years and I always look forward to my next Celebrator. VERY drinkable but a shame to drink quickly.

Had this on tap at Heorot a month or so ago. Amazing beer. I will definitely seek this out again.

Color is very dark - I'd say opaque black, but others have said no so much. Heorot is VERY dark inside, so it'd be hard to get a true color eval in there. Aroma, to me, was of sweet malts.

Taste, well... malty and wonderful and dark and... gah. Must find someone with this on tap within 100 miles! It's that good. I'd drive 100 miles for a pint right now.