1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,604 | Reviews: 2,174 | Show All Ratings:
DemoniChris

Nebraska

4.56/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint.

A - Super dark brown, nearing black. Solid 2 fingers of khaki head.

S - Bready malts, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee, caramel. Pretty complex.

T - Reminiscent to the smell. Also getting some very subtle dark fruits and spice characteristics. A damn smooth delectable beer.

M - Very rich and creamy, but not so much to make this difficult to drink. Mild hop character and bitterness come through, but not much.

O - A very complex and delicious doppelbock and easily the best one I've had. No alcohol presence at all and the plastic goat addition is icing on the cake!

06-30-2013 18:07:42 | More by DemoniChris
Alieniloquium

4.14/5  rDev -4.8%

On tap. Served in a Celebrator glass.

Appearance - Murky brown. Huge khaki head. Lasts forever and laces well.

Smell - Deep caramel, brown sugar. Some nuttiness.

Taste - Chocolate malts lace a deep caramel. Buckets of brown sugar. Clean nutty finish.

Mouthfeel - Thick and creamy. Feels way heavier than a 6.7% beer.

Overall - Easily one of the best Doppelbocks.

06-27-2013 23:24:35 | More by Alieniloquium
ThePaintedGrey

4.35/5  rDev 0%

11.2oz. bottle poured into pilsner glass.

A: Dark and creamy looking. Beige head is HUGE and fluffy , eventually dwindles down to a respectable 1/4 inch that retains until the end. Decent lacing on the glass as you drink.

S: Hints of caramel sweetness. Slightly sugary with some toasted malts coming through. Almost detecting dark chocolate. Nothing overpowering going on here. Just an overall sweet aroma, with hints of spicy alcohol hitting the back of the nostrils.

T: Molasses, toasted malts, a touch of caramel and brown sugar. Sort of a black coffee/dark chocolate bitterness. A little bit of that spicy, warming alcohol adds a little twang in the finish. Complex and balanced flavors throughout.

M: Creamy, full-bodied, and wonderfully smooth throughout.

O: This beer is an absolute treat. Complex balanced flavors with a full, creamy body. Definitely a must-try. I can see myself getting this brew again in the near future.

06-23-2013 04:11:33 | More by ThePaintedGrey
IchLiebeBier

Appearance: Dark Chestnut with small head that dissipates quickly

Aroma: Malty, roasted grain, coffee

Taste: Malty, fruity, with bitter finish; decent, but not as good as Paulanor Salvator or Andechs Doppelbock

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 02:11:15 | More by IchLiebeBier
MistahBeah

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Dark brown - near black - with some ruby highlights. Darker than I'm used to in the style. About a half a finger's head worth of creamy mocha colored head. Healthy dose of carbonation. Looks like a nice stout

Aroma: Roasted malt, caramel, molasses, coffee, a faint nuttiness. This is a rich smelling brew.

Taste: Richness follows nose. Very malty. Definitely coffee and some nuttiness. Possibly chestnuts. There isn't nearly as much sweetness as the nose led me to believe. The caramel and molasses aren't really present in the flavor. Ends roasty with a slight metallic aftertaste. Overall very clean tasting

Mouthfeel: Silken smoothness. Robust. Slightly watery that leaves the mouth feeling very clean. Creamy

Overall: I've been wanting to try this since my first forray into dopplebocks with Troegs' Troegenator and I'm very happy to say that it doesn't disappoint. Extremely clean tasting without sacrificing any flavor. Not as high in abv as others but better overall in my opinion. I would get this over Paulaner's Salvator any day of the week. A great example of the style and a great beer

06-08-2013 03:22:40 | More by MistahBeah
BWED

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

330 ml bottle poured into a pils glass

A- Dark brown pour with a one finger light brown head. Reatins at about a 1/2 finger, with rings of lacing sticking around after each gulp.

S- Roasty, caramel, slight coffee undertones. No hop character in the smell.

T- Malt. A little coffee, a little less chocolate, and even less caramel, but all the most prominent flavors. A little bit of iron in the aftertaste.

M- This is kind of chewy in consistency, with a bittersweet finish. Carbonation is mild, giving it a smoother, more drinkable beer.

O- This is a really good beer. It tastes great and I really like the feel. Nice and malty, and it won't knock you down if you have a few in a sitting.

06-04-2013 15:04:52 | More by BWED
JohnG190

4.63/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into pilsner glass. Served at 50 degrees.

Appearance - dark mahogany with thick tan head.

Aroma - roasted malt and molasses.

Taste - sweet roasted malt that finishes slightly smoky.

Mouthfeel - rich and creamy with light carbonation.

Overall - a loaf of bread in a pilsner glass. I now understand the hype around this beer.

05-24-2013 22:04:36 | More by JohnG190
Nugganooch

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

330ml bottle with the hanging lil goat and a standard Pils glass
*Notes taken on 05/17/13

A: Pour is a dark chestnut brown with a lighter shade around the edges and some effervescent carbonation visible. The beer produces a cakey mass of dark tan foam head and displays some of the best retention I have seen in some time. The glass is left with patterns of chunky splotched lace after each sip. Indeed a very nice looking beer.

S: Smells of chocolate malt mixed with some deep plum and dried dark fruit. Rich and surprisingly aromatic with a sweet raisin bread likeness. A dash of alcohol noted. Enjoyable aromas overall with some nice dark roast and caramelized grains coming through.

T: Tastes is a wonderful blend of dark and brown malts with flavors of caramel chocolate cream and dark fruits like raisin, fig, and plum. Comes together very nicely like a nutty chocolate bread. There is a modest amount of earthy hop bitterness to the beer and alcohol is well masked throughout. Creamy and delicious with a great balance of charred sugars, milk chocolate, and dark fruits. Fantastic stuff.

M: Feel is moderately light and a touch watery thin but with some higher carb it brings a nice creamy consistency to the body. A soft bittering and fairly clean overall. Tad wet on the finish.

D: A delicious Dopplebock that is easily accessible and even easier to quaff. Rich with chocolate fruit and bread yet surprisingly light. I have not experienced many Dopplebocks but I can easily see why this is one of the best.

World class beer. Highly recommended and the little souvenir is a nice touch.

05-23-2013 18:12:23 | More by Nugganooch
Cubatobaco

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - deep, opaque, that is reminiscent of cola in the glass. In the light it reveals a garnet color. Good carbonation streams around the edges.

S - heavy malt, raisins, toffee, dark roasted coffee, lingering sweetness

T - The flavors of the aforementioned aromas are what you first get followed by other complex layers of bread, and a slight hint of metal

M - great acidity, luscious, long finish with a very light hop bitterness on the end

O - I'm new to Doppelbocks, but this will not be my last. I feel I've set the bar too high as this is going to be hard to beat. This is very complex with layers of flavor that work in the mouth like an escalator; one after another. I can see how other say they could drink a ton of this. A definite must have in the cellar and a great change of pace beer!

05-20-2013 01:57:57 | More by Cubatobaco
dc87

Washington

3.96/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Dark brown, with dark ruby red around the edges. Thin head just off white. Head disappears quickly.

S - Smells wonderful. Distinctive, bright smell. Very sweet and malty with some dried fruit, raisins. Not smelling any hops.

T - Rich. Very similar to the nose, but just a little less exciting. A little sweeter. Malts, dried fruit, and some caramel sweetness. The aftertaste is dry, hoppy and slightly toasted.

M - Decent. Light bodied. Very smooth, light on carbonation.

O - An interesting, rich lager. Pleasant to drink, but for me it doesn't live up to the hype surrounding it.

05-18-2013 05:59:23 | More by dc87
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have had this beer several times. My favorite part of this beer is the little goat that hangs on the side of the bottle. Not sure if he has a name, but he's cute! There are also goats on the label. Does anyone know the connection with goals the doppelbock style?

My palate has been out of sorts lately. I haven't been in the mood for a particular style in a few weeks, and nothing tastes good. Not that it doesn't taste good, but there are days where I am not even in the mood for a beer. Good thing I know what this tastes like, and know it will be an enjoyable experience. I can already smell the bready sweetness on this bottle as I was pouring it. Let's drink!

In the Glass: I remember this beer being dark, but not this dark. It is nearly black in the glass, and offers a nice thin tan head. The lace is nice and thick, too. I am sure this will, as it heats up, it will get better. But I KNOW it will be good from the first sip.

Nose: Lots of bread on the nose. The more I smell it the more malty flavors I am starting to pick up some dark chocolate, almost coffee notes after a few sniffs. The aroma is so powerful I can almost taste it as I smell. That is a sign of a good beer. Before I take my first sip, let me tell you… the beer looks creamy in the glass now. Maybe it is the way the light is hitting the head, but the beer looks even more inviting than normal. Maybe my desire for beer is coming back!

Flavor: Holy. Crap. This beer is SO SO SO good. I mean, great. I could seriously drink a gallon of this and be fine. Well, not fine… flavor wise, anyway. There are some nice layers of carbonation to start, then the dark bready flavors really shine through. Then, as you swallow, it turns somewhat sweet and finishes with a nice hoppy dryness. Think Irish stouts when without the metallic finish. The flavor here is just incredible. I bet this would make a good food beer, too. It is thick enough to be a meal all by itself. This is what beer should taste like. Bravo, Aying!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is thick and creamy with slight bubbles around the edge. I did swish a sip around in my mouth, and it did open up a little bit. Not too much, but the fluffy texture turned to bubbles. I rarely finish a glass before I am done writing, but this will be gone before I am finished. It is too good to let it heat up. Right out of the fridge and I am satisfied. Guys, this is one of the best beers I have tasted in weeks and I plan to make this the beer of the week next week at Total Wine & More. YUMMY!

Aftertaste: For a beer that has this much flavor, I expected the finish to be a bit more bold. The drying is nice, though. It lasts for a few minutes, but isn't as intense as the flavor profile here. I guess I will just have to take another drink. Hold on… be right back! Man, this just gets better with every sip. Maybe I have found a new love for doppelbocks.

This beer makes me want to celebrate!!! Get it? I doubt that is where the name comes from, but this is such a tasty beer, I might buy another one on my way home tonight. We are going to some grand opening somewhere… free appetizers and free drinks. Not sure what, but it should be fun. I don't even know what the place is called! Anyway, I am excited to try a new bar and hopefully they have some good cocktails available. If not, I will leave and find a bar offering Celebrator. CHEERS!

05-15-2013 21:47:22 | More by rickyleepotts
BMMillsy

3.65/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours deep dark brown/black with nearly no head. Some ruby edges in teh light. Sweet molasses aroma, roasted malt, and licorice/anise. Flavor is big licorice with hints of chocolate, then more licorice. Pretty sweet stuff, but a lingering bitter on the palate. Very low carbonation, thick mouthfeel, and heavy. Velvety as it describes. Interesting brew.

05-12-2013 14:08:50 | More by BMMillsy
M_C_Hampton

Georgia

4.51/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, dark brown with a short light tan head that lingers leaving good lacing, clear

S: malt, grain, dark bread, caramel, coffee, toasted grain

T: huge malt flavor, dark bread, toast, coffee

M: thicker with good carbonation, filling

O: This beer is hugely robust with excellent flavor. The focus is totally on the malt with only a slight hop bitterness.

05-12-2013 02:47:18 | More by M_C_Hampton
Hermanater

4.59/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Can you say molasses?

Had this beer while sampling several bocks. Of all of the bocks we tried, this was my favorite.

I tend to stay away from sweeter beers and bocks typically have that sweetness. This had a wonderfully bittersweet molasses aroma and flavor.

Respectable appearance-much darker than most bocks.

05-11-2013 14:44:19 | More by Hermanater
TheCondor

Missouri

4.61/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I fell in love with this one as soon as I looked at it. The ram figurine, the packaging, the fact it is an Ayinger, whose Dunkel I am a total homer for...all the elements lined up. And I have wanted to try a big-time German doppelbock forever. Side poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - As previously mentioned, the packaging is so cool on this one. I added the figurine to my brewerania collection, including bottle caps and rare labels. This beer hasa magnificent presentation. Dark, dark brown, almost black pour with a nice one finger head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing. Doesn't sound like much until you've seen it.

Smell - Sweet malts, rich dark fruit, molasses, and did I mention sweetness? If a beer can smell rich, this one does.

Taste - Oh Lord Jesus its' a fire. This is one of the most spectacular tasting beers I have ever had. Rich and creamy sweet malts wash the palate, with some nutty notes in there as well. Dark fruits round out the spectacularly balanced taste. My wife said it tasted like beer and wine had a kid together. I said it tastes like proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Mouthfeel - The most incredible part of the beer. Washes down so smooth and creamy, almost like cream soda or a root beer float or something. Leaves you wanting to drink more, so smooth. By far the best aspect of an incredible beer.

Overall - Seriously, this beer is in contention for the best I've ever had. This blew my hair back for sure, even my wife liked it, and she typically hates all beers. I'd buy this by the gallon if I could get it (and afford it). Unbelievable.

05-10-2013 03:06:28 | More by TheCondor
NoLeafClover44

Delaware

4.14/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

330mL bottle poured into SA Perfect Pint glass. No dating info to be found.

A - Some hissing on the pop of the cap. The tan head fizzled out just as quickly as it wasformed. This one looks like coke in color and head behavior. What gives? I thought bocks were supposed to have rich, fluffy heads that stuck around for the entirety. No lacing at all. Maybe there is something wrong with my bottle?

S - Sweet caramel and considerable fruit notes. Cherry, fig, and boisenberry all come to mind. A little bit savory. Roasted barley and nuts counteract the sweeter components. Not bad.

T - Deliciously malty on the start with roasted grain, sweet toffee, and bitter molasses. Cream soda flavor follows. The finish is clean with some grain and mild sweetness.

M - Smooth feel with light carbonation.

O - I was very disappointed by the appearance. The pour yielded some of the quickest dying head I have ever seen with no lacing. Luckily, it was all uphill from there. Beautiful display of malts in the aroma and flavor. I can imagine drinking this stuff out of a large dimpled mug at Oktoberfest. Good stuff.

05-04-2013 00:52:04 | More by NoLeafClover44
jvillefan

4.35/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

A: A dark brown body with a three finger mocha colored head that hung around for a long time.

S: Deep roasted malty aroma. There are dark fruits in there as well.

T: A rich malt flavor. There is a spicy belgian character in the back of this beer as well.

M: Nice heavy body with a decent carbonation.

O: A great beer. Well worth picking up.

05-02-2013 04:36:59 | More by jvillefan
Jacurdy60

Alabama

4.59/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pitch-brown color with a thin toffee colored head that sticks around for the duration of the drink. Coats entire glass and leaves a nice latticework. Smells of burnt sugar, maple syrup, toasted bread, phenols (a bit medicinal), and of dark fruit, perhaps dates or figs. Tastes boozy on the front of the palate but it is balanced nicely in the middle by the malted sweetness of residual sugars and caramel, followed by a bready hopped twinge at the end but it finishes smooth and stays thick throughout the whole tasting experience. The balance and body are perfection. So smooth on the palate. Sticky, chewy until the swallow. This brew is world class. I haven't had many doppelbocks, but I could tell from the first sip that this was something special. It's very complex as the esters, phenols, malts, booze, and hops balance perfectly with a thick, chewy body on the palate.

04-28-2013 20:52:10 | More by Jacurdy60
Greywulfken

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: into a pilsener glass, deep amber brown beer with a couple of fingers of head; fuzzy collar persisted, some motes left behind; almost oily sheen inside glass

S: rich bready malt and molasses sweetness

T: some flavor-shifting here - started off with bold dark malt flavors, had an almost chocolately character later, and finished with some dark fruitiness, almost like raisins and dates.

M: smooth, medium-full body, some gentle carbonation fuzziness; teensy bit of stickiness

O: a celebratory beer for sure - easily my favorite doppelbock - and I'm not a big doppelbock guy or anything, but this is an excellent beer - reminded me of holiday ales and really good brown ales

04-25-2013 01:00:48 | More by Greywulfken
twiggamortis420

4.71/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

11.2 oz bottle pours a very dark brown color with a creamy cap of tan head. Average retention and lacing.

Nose is sweet and caramely with a touch of dried fruit...raisins or prunes. Not sure Id go so far as to say chocolate, but there are some cocoa-esque notes in here.

Taste is wonderfully malty without being too burnt, toasty, roasty or otherwise bitter. Its so smooth and creamy. Malts are sweet, but never coming anywhere near cloying. There is a kiss of herbal hop bitterness on the finish as well. Just the right strength...some doppels, especially Americanized ones, seem to think they must clock in at 8 or 9 percent. This is one of those beers that you go back and revisit and wonder why the hell it has taken so long to buy again! This is the best doppelbock out there when fresh, I dont even really think it is debatable. Delicious.

04-24-2013 21:12:07 | More by twiggamortis420
mooseo

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Bridgewater's Pub in Philadelphia, PA.

A - Dark brown with a thin tan head.

S - Toasted bready malt, caramel, somewhat nutty.

T - Amazing taste. Burnt toffee, caramel, toasted biscuit, and dark fruits. Lots of sweetness up front, but earthy hops keep everything in check. Notes of chocolate and nutty malt come through as it warms.

M - Creamy, smooth, medium-full body. Crisp and clean with decent carbonation.

O - All of the flavors here are in perfect harmony with one another. This is an all-around excellent double bock.

04-19-2013 22:24:56 | More by mooseo
GreesyFizeek

4.19/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle purchased from AJ's Beer Warehouse in Henrietta, NY.

Poured into my Abandon Brewing snifter. Deep, dark brown. Looks kind of like a stout, really. 1 inch head. Small amount of lacing.

Smells bready and sweet, with some dark fruits, like plums.

Tastes pretty similar, with roasty bread like flavors, intermixed with sweet plum flavors. Gotta be one of the maltiest beers I've ever had.

Full body, low carbonation.

The classic and archetype for the dopplebock style, and one I always enjoy.

04-12-2013 02:01:01 | More by GreesyFizeek
Bowdoinbeerboy

Maine

4.66/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is one seriously tasty beer.

Pours from a bottle, almost no head. The beer is a deep, deep amber color, its almost opaque, but some red light manages to trickle through. The nose is nice and subdued, but some hints of candied fruit manage to work their way through.

The mouthfeel on this is great, it really gills the palate and just seem to be extremely viscous. Lots of dark flavors, very, very malty. This almost tastes like heavy rye bread in liquid form. It is absolutely delightful. Definitely a end of winter beer here!

Buy again.

03-30-2013 19:41:37 | More by Bowdoinbeerboy
DAllspaw

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

pours a dark ruby, color, almost like Coke. A slight brown head which quickly dissipates.

Smell is a bit of fig and molasses, but very much a warm, rising dark bread. A bit of amber honey as well.

Taste is where this beer comes alive. The body is moderate to heavy with a pronounced malty, pumpernickel taste. certainly sweet with a slight bitter finish to offset the sweetness perfectly.

Realy nice beer, every bit as good as I thought it would be.

03-29-2013 01:15:56 | More by DAllspaw
barczar

Kentucky

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2011 vintage.

Pours an opaque deep brown with ruby highlights and a frothy, dense one inch cappuccino head that dissipates slowly, leaving sheets of lacing.

Bready, deeply caramelized malt, extremely rich, with molasses sweetness, toffee, nuttiness, and dark fruits form the initial aroma. Smells like wort with undertones figs, dark cherries, raisins, and dates.

Flavor is sweet initially, with nutty, toasty notes hitting mid palate, finishing a touch roasty and dry. Malt is extremely rich and complex. Brown sugar, tart cherries, raisins, and a touch of chocolate emerge. Melanoidin character, that standard kettle caramelization, abounds.

Body is a touch light, with moderate carbonation and slight alcohol warmth.

Probably a little more dark fruit character than when fresh, but that malt richness is phenomenal. Great malt-centric brew.

03-26-2013 01:13:24 | More by barczar