Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros

KiltedCulinarian, Mar 24, 2013

His_Royal_Hoppiness, May 01, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

Celebrator looks awesome. It's a thick brown with a huge tan head that soon fades to a thin, even layer of bubbles. Plus--the necklace! How many beers are classy enough to have a necklace?

The primary scent is like baby food. I think it's a combination of caramel and dark fruits/anise, but to me it comes off as candied carrots. I'm not a fan of candied carrots.

The taste, fortunately, gets it better; the caramel and anise are more distinct. There's a little nuttiness, and it finishes with a very pleasant roasted flavor. I'm really not getting much chocolate.

Celebrator was okay, but honestly, this seems more like a weird nut brown ale than a doppelbock lager.

battlekow, Oct 25, 2005

Hallertau, Aug 26, 2013

Gschaf, Nov 28, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours a dark ruddy brown with a small white head. Smells of dark malt and dark fruit. I am curious to see how this will turn out now. Taste was a bit of a punch in the mouth for me, the smell got me going, but the taste didn't land for me. I found it to be thick and rich, definitely a lot of flavor, with the molasses and dark fruits coming in strong. Overall, I don't think I'll seek this out again until I have a greater appreciation for it.

gkunkle, Apr 09, 2011

ryanpj, Sep 29, 2013

Revenant, Dec 11, 2012

fellowrs, Feb 22, 2014
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours completely opaque -- which I expected. What I did not expect was a lack of head. I poured this baby into a chalice, and I was greated with a minimal short lived dark brown head that settled into a small island in the middle of the chalice with a ring around the edge.

The aroma of this brew is unusual to me. Granted, I am no expert of Doppelbock's, but this is definitely different. I'm not sure exactly what the smell is -- stale roasted peanut shells, maybe. But lighter. Yes, I am confused and the beer is right here in front of me.

The taste is interesting. Much lighter than a stout, which is what I was somewhat expecting to taste. Apparently, I should have less preconceived notions. In any event, the taste is not complex. It is straightfoward without much depth, to my palate.

There is little carbonation feel, and the density is light and floaty -- not milky or creamy on the tongue.

I have three more of these in the cellar. I will drink them at some point or trade them with some friends who have a higher apprectiation for this beer.

TPSReports, Jun 09, 2005
3.28/5  rDev -24.4%

Celebrator pours black in color with mahongany hues. Its creamy tan head only lingered briefly before fading. The body has a syrupy cling to the side of the glass. Aroma seems to consists of dark fruit, fig, feint chocolate malt and mineral water. Mouthfeel seems thinner than I'd expect from a doppelbock, but borders on being medium-bodied. Taste was somewhat of a disappointment and hard to pin down. Flavors of coffee, malt and alcohol are combined with a raisiny finish. Celebrator isn't as sweet, malty and flavorful as other doppelbocks I've tried in the past. A bit of a let down.

Winter, Mar 13, 2003
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a weizen glass it pours a deep dark cherry color when held to the light. it is fairly dark and lots of fine bubbles can be seen traveling the glass. Nice foamy head that reduces to a thin layer of suds.

In the nose I get sweet malts and confections, and I can detect the alcohol. Has a very robust smell.

Taste is a sort of burnt bitter, or roasted malt with an almost medicinal taste. it seems to have some sourness to it as well. A bit one-dimensional, in my opinion.

in the mouth it feels somewhat thin and sticky, though it is medium bodied with high carbonation.

It's fairly drinkable but 1 or 2 would probably be enough for me, but it's obviously not a session brew. It would probably be a long while before I would decide to get this again. Not really worth the $3 price tag on the 11.2 oz bottle. But the ram is cool.

wolfinthemirror, Apr 08, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -24%

In Johnstown again for work so I went to Tulunes Southside Saloon....again! My second beer on this evening was the Celebrator Doppelbock from Ayinger. Not a Doppelbock fan so my grade for this beer will not be as high as others. The color was a ruby clear amber. The aroma had hints of honey and malt. The taste was very tart and sweet. Not a huge fan of the sweet malts that are generally put in Doppels. Due to the sweetness, the mouthfeel was rated lower than other beers.

WoodBrew, Apr 29, 2011