Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,673 | Reviews: 2,275
3.11/5  rDev -28.3%

Picked this up based on my goal of trying all 50 Top Beers. Not sure what all the fuss is about....
Poured a dark-cherry tinged, black color with a quick-fading tan head.
Smell was fruity sweet - raisins, dates, plums - over a big malt base. Also some caramel toffee and maybe a hint of coffee.
Taste was complex. Again, sweet with plums, raisins, etc and toffee notes over a malt base. Alcohol bite in the finish but not bad. Still, I was expecting something more that would really get me excited about the beer. It never happened.
Feel was syrupy, slick and on the heavy side of medium-bodied.
For drinkability, I can't say I'd be searching for this beer again soon. It didn't appeal to my palate. Not sure what all the hype and high marks are for, but then that means I won't be taking any away from those who enjoy it.

3.13/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into a mug. Reviewed live.

A- Pours a thin off-white head with little retention. Some ring of lacing. Mahogany color with nice clarity.

S- Dark grains and malts. Actually a very subtle smell. Hard to pick up on it.

T- Malts and dark fruits. Again, subtle. Can taste a bit of the booze though.

M- Medium thickness with a nice body and clean finish.

O- Honestly, I was expecting more from this beer.

3.13/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

My first doppelbock. An ok beer but will probably not get it again.

3.16/5  rDev -27.2%

3.18/5  rDev -26.7%

I had this the other night. With the great reviews, I was expecting a bit more, but in general I'm not a huge fan of the style.

This beer had a good appearance but the aroma and taste were far too malty for me. This beer tasted sweet and I couldn't detect any other flavors (aside from molasses) that were doing much for me. The drinkability was average, but honestly I would have rated it lower probably because I was getting too much sweetness... and none of the creamy or smoothness that you might expect.

I suppose that I could appreciate how someone would like this, but its not one that I would go for. Its a shame because I went in expecting much more. I rather go for a substantial brown ale or porter in the same ABV range.

3.2/5  rDev -26.3%

Celebrator looks awesome. It's a thick brown with a huge tan head that soon fades to a thin, even layer of bubbles. Plus--the necklace! How many beers are classy enough to have a necklace?

The primary scent is like baby food. I think it's a combination of caramel and dark fruits/anise, but to me it comes off as candied carrots. I'm not a fan of candied carrots.

The taste, fortunately, gets it better; the caramel and anise are more distinct. There's a little nuttiness, and it finishes with a very pleasant roasted flavor. I'm really not getting much chocolate.

Celebrator was okay, but honestly, this seems more like a weird nut brown ale than a doppelbock lager.

3.22/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance is brownish, black with hints of red showing through. The head is huge, sticky and milk chocolate colored.

The aroma is of super fermented malt.

Flavor is a complex blend of malts followed by a sugary sweetness. I think it tastes much better than it smells.

Moth feel is medium bodied and smooth.

An easily drinkable beer, but I would like to follow it with something different.

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.