Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

My first doppelbock. An ok beer but will probably not get it again.

3.16/5  rDev -27.2%

3.18/5  rDev -26.7%

I had this the other night. With the great reviews, I was expecting a bit more, but in general I'm not a huge fan of the style.

This beer had a good appearance but the aroma and taste were far too malty for me. This beer tasted sweet and I couldn't detect any other flavors (aside from molasses) that were doing much for me. The drinkability was average, but honestly I would have rated it lower probably because I was getting too much sweetness... and none of the creamy or smoothness that you might expect.

I suppose that I could appreciate how someone would like this, but its not one that I would go for. Its a shame because I went in expecting much more. I rather go for a substantial brown ale or porter in the same ABV range.

3.2/5  rDev -26.3%

Celebrator looks awesome. It's a thick brown with a huge tan head that soon fades to a thin, even layer of bubbles. Plus--the necklace! How many beers are classy enough to have a necklace?

The primary scent is like baby food. I think it's a combination of caramel and dark fruits/anise, but to me it comes off as candied carrots. I'm not a fan of candied carrots.

The taste, fortunately, gets it better; the caramel and anise are more distinct. There's a little nuttiness, and it finishes with a very pleasant roasted flavor. I'm really not getting much chocolate.

Celebrator was okay, but honestly, this seems more like a weird nut brown ale than a doppelbock lager.

3.22/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance is brownish, black with hints of red showing through. The head is huge, sticky and milk chocolate colored.

The aroma is of super fermented malt.

Flavor is a complex blend of malts followed by a sugary sweetness. I think it tastes much better than it smells.

Moth feel is medium bodied and smooth.

An easily drinkable beer, but I would like to follow it with something different.