Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,282 | Hads: 5,899
4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; beautiful dark blackish red with just a trace of light sneaking through. Excellent retention with spotty lacing as its enjoyed.

Smell: Toasty bread smothered in molasses and cinnamon. Deepy and darkly malty.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with low/medium carbonation, moderately syrupy, just a little hoppy on the back of the tongue.

Taste: Sweet molasses malt, toasted cinnamon bread and hoppy alcohol on the finish. Caramelly warmth on the finishing exhale.

Drinkability: This one lives up to its names and reputation. Easily savored and enjoyed at the same time. (607 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

A: pours a very dark oaky brown with a healthy one finger head. Lacing all the way down.

S: Oh the malty goodness. It's really unbeleivable. Caramel, vanilla, chocolate malts.

T: I forgot how freakin awesome this beer is. The malt is just extraordinary. It pretty much tastes exactly how it smells.

M: Full body. Good. plenty of carbonation. Very nice.

D: There's a reason it comes in four packs. Any more than four of these is simply too much. Still, it tastes so damn good, it's hard to drink just one. (512 characters)

From tap to stein glass

A: Pours dark brown, maybe a shade lighter than black, with a vibrant dark brown head. Little lacing remains under the weight of this viscous brew.

S: Notes of molasses and bready malts up front. A rich bouquet as touch of ripe fruit plays with the chocolate and alcohol notes.

T: Malt forward with flavors of molasses and toffee prominent. Rich, chewy, layered, the ripe fruit in the nose plays a bigger role here. A touch of hop astringincy adds balance, and all of the flavors work in harmony.

M/notes: There's a reason dopplebocks work as meal replacements, and this brew highlights why people can go weeks consuming nothing but this beer. The flavors are delicious, the complexion is satisfying. I try to keep this around as much as possible. (778 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

This is an amazing beer. For those who don't usually like dark beers, don't be put off by the appearance here: Celebrator is a relatively medium-bodied, tasty brew that anyone can and should enjoy. Procured a single bottle from WFM. Poured into a frozen pint glass.

A: Awesome, super dark and rich brown with an amber tint when held up to the light. A little head with persistent lacing.

S: Wow...Ripe bananas, prunes, caramel and subtle notes of licorice and dark chocolate.

T: Light toasted bananas, malt, caramel and a hint of licorice.
Goes down very smooth and has a wonderful, somewhat spicy, wet finish.

Drinkability: I feel like a four pack would be plenty.

Value: A little pricey. But look on the bright side- you get a free Christmas ornament on every bottle. I got like 7 of those little rams on my tree this year. I normally don't like spending this much on beer, but as a treat, this one is worth the dough. (926 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a hefeweizen glass.

A- Pours a thick chocolatey colored head. An amber, dark brown appearance to the brew. Bottom of the glass is a see through red glow, however up towards stubborn settling head is the dark brown, almost non see through chocolate color. Almost no lacing. The goat charm gets points just because.

S- Roasted peanuts, which is making me want some like crazy. Hints of chocolate and caramel. Smell the yeast in the slightest. The roasted peanuts though for me at least, is the most dominant.

T- Let me say something, this is only the second dopplebock I've ever tried, but I'm willing to bet anyone that I'll never taste a better one. Lets see, caramel, chocolate, roasted malts, the peanut flavor is there, and bread. This thing reminds me of malt powder somewhat in a milk shake, or the malt ball candy you can buy. Not only will this most certainly be the best dopplebock I've had, but also most likely, and currently one of the best tasting beers I've ever had.

M- Super creamy. Feels like buttermilk. Medium bodied. Slightly sweet on the palatte.

D- Incredible. Glad when I went to Total Wine that I got a fourpack instead of just one. When I go to the best distributor in my area next time, I'll be tempted to buy a case. No hint of alcohol whatsoever. The only thing from keeping this beer perfect is the appearance is good. Yes, MERELY good. Everything else is just incredible.

Notes: Prost to Franz Inselkammer for making such a great beer. I'd still say Belgians have the edge, but this beer does make me proud of my heritage. (1,570 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

One of the greats. What other phrase can possibly describe a beer with such a lucious, deep, dark color; such a billowing, persistent, magnificent head; and such a delightfully shocking aroma and taste?

Deep, dark midnight black -- that is, just this side of jet black. The head is a silly putty gray/brown that could be described as a dark off-tan. It's bulbous presence lingers throughout the entire experience. And it gives rise to one of the finer aromas one can hope for on a lager. Sweet, smooth hints of carmelized brown sugar and burnt malts grace the nose.

The same flavors carry through to the palate where dopplebock taste is simply defined. A big, sweet malty presence begins the treat and underscores every subtle flavor throughout. Not to be outdone, the hops play perfectly here, bringing with it a roasted bitterness that plays to the finish. If there's such a thing as "squinting" with one's mouth, engaging in such an action reveals just the slightest bit of lingering sweetness. This silky smooth brew may be, in my opinion, simply the best lager beer there is in any style. A treat. (1,108 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Really dark,opaque brown though it looks relatively thin with a thin layer of dark tan head that fades pretty quickly, leaving a random smattering of patches on the surface and almost no lacing.

S: Dark roasted malts, caramel and a slightly woody smell. Smells sweet with molasses and burnt sugars.

T: Taste is phenomenal. Roasted malts compound with toasty flavors, caramel, molasses, some spice and a slight hint of alcohol. Additionally hints of vanilla.

M: This is one of those rare cases where the flavor and the mouthfeel don't just coexist, but play beautifully off of each other. The mouthfeel is light but creamy and slightly sticky, letting the flavor linger in the back of the throat.

O: Really a great beer. The aroma and flavor are complex, compact and absolutely delicious. Worth a look, worth seeking out. This is a beer that could (should) be a staple in any beer drinker's life. (902 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have had this beer several times. My favorite part of this beer is the little goat that hangs on the side of the bottle. Not sure if he has a name, but he's cute! There are also goats on the label. Does anyone know the connection with goals the doppelbock style?

My palate has been out of sorts lately. I haven't been in the mood for a particular style in a few weeks, and nothing tastes good. Not that it doesn't taste good, but there are days where I am not even in the mood for a beer. Good thing I know what this tastes like, and know it will be an enjoyable experience. I can already smell the bready sweetness on this bottle as I was pouring it. Let's drink!

In the Glass: I remember this beer being dark, but not this dark. It is nearly black in the glass, and offers a nice thin tan head. The lace is nice and thick, too. I am sure this will, as it heats up, it will get better. But I KNOW it will be good from the first sip.

Nose: Lots of bread on the nose. The more I smell it the more malty flavors I am starting to pick up some dark chocolate, almost coffee notes after a few sniffs. The aroma is so powerful I can almost taste it as I smell. That is a sign of a good beer. Before I take my first sip, let me tell you… the beer looks creamy in the glass now. Maybe it is the way the light is hitting the head, but the beer looks even more inviting than normal. Maybe my desire for beer is coming back!

Flavor: Holy. Crap. This beer is SO SO SO good. I mean, great. I could seriously drink a gallon of this and be fine. Well, not fine… flavor wise, anyway. There are some nice layers of carbonation to start, then the dark bready flavors really shine through. Then, as you swallow, it turns somewhat sweet and finishes with a nice hoppy dryness. Think Irish stouts when without the metallic finish. The flavor here is just incredible. I bet this would make a good food beer, too. It is thick enough to be a meal all by itself. This is what beer should taste like. Bravo, Aying!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is thick and creamy with slight bubbles around the edge. I did swish a sip around in my mouth, and it did open up a little bit. Not too much, but the fluffy texture turned to bubbles. I rarely finish a glass before I am done writing, but this will be gone before I am finished. It is too good to let it heat up. Right out of the fridge and I am satisfied. Guys, this is one of the best beers I have tasted in weeks and I plan to make this the beer of the week next week at Total Wine & More. YUMMY!

Aftertaste: For a beer that has this much flavor, I expected the finish to be a bit more bold. The drying is nice, though. It lasts for a few minutes, but isn't as intense as the flavor profile here. I guess I will just have to take another drink. Hold on… be right back! Man, this just gets better with every sip. Maybe I have found a new love for doppelbocks.

This beer makes me want to celebrate!!! Get it? I doubt that is where the name comes from, but this is such a tasty beer, I might buy another one on my way home tonight. We are going to some grand opening somewhere… free appetizers and free drinks. Not sure what, but it should be fun. I don't even know what the place is called! Anyway, I am excited to try a new bar and hopefully they have some good cocktails available. If not, I will leave and find a bar offering Celebrator. CHEERS! (3,391 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

It pours a beautiful brown with a hint of red. The head foams up a bit but dies down quickly and elegantly, leaving just a trace around the top. The smell and taste are very complex with molasses, ripe fruit, and a hint of caramel. This is just a beautiful beer with a great mouthfeel and unbelievable drinkability. A classic worthy of the praise heaped upon it. (362 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

330ml bottle served in a mug.

Review nr. 500 deserves a worthy beer!

A: Pours a clear deep and dark amber color. Nutty. Forms a big beige and bit creamy head when poured. Medium retention and only few lacings formed and left in the glass

S: Very toffee. Roasted malts, brown bread ans Lager yeasts. However, it's quite fruity with notes of raisins and figs. Oak. Lovely

T: Sweet upfront. Toffee, roasted malts, caramel malts, brown bread, Lager yeasts. Notes of chocolate. Light hoppy/roasted bitterness in the end

M: Medium body. Slightly molasses. Medium to low carbonation. Aftertaste is roasted and light bitter

O: Excellent drinkability. State of art German Doppelbock (681 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Super dark brown color with a big brownish head, held to light reveals ruby red color. Head settled to a ring that left surprisingly little lace.
Unbelievable aroma with lots of caramel maltiness, raisins, figs and molasses smells. One of the best smelling beers I have ever tried.
Big malt flavor, plenty of toasty caramel sweetness, some dark chocolate and light notes of raisins and fig, all balanced out with a nice hop bitterness. Big mouthfeel that matches the flavor, this is a very rich beer that I don't think I could drink a lot of at once.
Finishes rather dry, but even at the end some of the malt sweetness comes through.
A great beer, and I can see why it's currently #1 although it's not my personal ideal beer. This would be a great dessert beer, but it seemed too rich (and too expensive) for everyday drinking. (832 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Pat at Finger Lakes Beverage in Ithaca recommended this for me to try as he said it's the best Dopplebock around. I was attracted to the nice little goat charm. This is one amazing looking beer. Very dark ruby appearance with a wonderful dark khaki colored head that remains throughout entire tasting with a medium grainy lace. Smell is of a nutty chocolate with a toasted malt undertone. Very pleasant smell. Taste follows up quite well after the amazing odor. Lots of malt! Very sweet bready flavors, brown sugar, raisin as well. Little to no alcohol bite which I enjoy. Such a smooth enjoyable brew that has a fair amount of carbonation to it, but doesn't distract from its overall balance. This beer left me speechless, I highly recommend this no matter what kind of beer you prefer. I have a new respect for Dopplebocks and look forward to trying more. Thank you Pat from Finger Lakes Beverage! (947 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance is a rich brown ochre with a coffee colored foam that is so thick it is heavy – and leaves lacing that stays to the end. Aroma has yeasty bread, raisins and molasses, toffee, ethanol, pumpkin pie spices, hops and lots of malt. Initial taste is all of the above with bitter hops balancing out the sweetness beautifully. Plums and currants are present, and the sweet after finish leaves one wanting some spice cake or mincemeat pie. Mouth feel is like drinking a malt. Not much carbonation. Compare side by side with Salvator sometime. Interesting. Love this stuff! (575 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a dark brown with a nice lasting head.

Smells like sweet roasted malts. Smells wonderfull.

Taste is all about balance. A balance between all the tastes coming from malts to the carbonation and the lighter hops.

This beer is wonderfully smooth and a bit creamy.

An all time favorite with me and my friends. For a special occasions. (342 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Cola-colored liquid with off-white head. Head rose high than quick fizzled down to a thin layer over the beer. Not part of the beer, but an added nod for the cute goat ornament adorning every bottle.

Smell: Sweet malty aroma, hint of raisin or cherry. Refreshing hop notes as well.

Taste: Lightly toasted malt flavor, subtle raisin sweetness, and a closing bit of hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, enjoyable brew. Barely noticeable aftertaste; somewhat of a malt/hop wrestling match going on with maltiness winning out in the end.

Drinkability: As drinkable as water but much more delicious. Low ABV for a Doppelbock and surprisingly complex palate. Available in 4-packs of 330ml but at a price where four Weihenstephan Korbinian 16.9oz singles are actually cheaper. A tough choice to make. (837 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance - poured with a finger and a half of tan head, brown with hints of ruby around the edges, head dissipates after a couple of minutes to a thin layer

Smell - malts all the way here, toasty, slight chocolate, bit of dark fruit

Taste - quick hit of bitterness upfront which quickly moves out of the way to let the malts do their dance, toasted flavor comes in strong at the back end providing the outro for the sip. As it warms bitterness subsides to almost nothing and the toasted flavor becomes even more prominent

Mouthfeel - full, but not thick, smooth

Drinkability - dangerously drinkable. I had to consciously take it slow with this one because it goes down way to easy. My only regret is not having more available. (732 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: Deliciously black, thin head retained for the duration, solid lacing as well.

Smell: Oak, Cherry, chocolate malt, sweet raisins.

Taste: Same as above. Nice warming, with a very burnt chocolaty coffee finish.

Mouthfeel: Like some sort of delectable dessert, as rich a beer I've not had.

Drinkablity: I savored the last sip of this like a coke fiend on the short end of a bag. (391 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 330mL (about 11-ounce) bottle into a pint glass. I kind of wish I had a 12-ounce mug.

Appearance: Deep, dark brown, and almost totally opaque. A VAGUE hint of ruby red is visible around the edges when I hold my glass up to a strong light source. The head is about as dark brown as I've seen, and retention/lacing are both minimal. In spite of this, the color of the beer itself is truly unique, meriting a perfect score in my view.

Smell: The overarching scent is of roasted malt. Repeated sniffs yield some dried fruits (I detect dried plums and apricots), with a certain nuttiness that is tough to pin down.

Taste: Sweet and malty, followed by a nice, warm toastiness. I've seen this beer's flavor compared to coffee here, and I won't disagree -- at the end of a long sip, I can taste a roasted coffee bean-like flavor. Also present: dried fruits (as in the nose), roasted almonds, and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel: Mild to moderate carbonation. Very "thick" and heavy in the mouth, which is a good thing. I feel like I'm drinking some kind of holiday cake, with a hint of strong coffee.

Drinkability: Fantastic. The 6.7 ABV is just right for the style, as it's not detectable on the palate, but it rears its head in the stomach and the brain. This stuff is like the chocolate milk of beer -- thick, hearty, and comforting. I'd prefer this to hot chocolate on a wintry night.

In my opinion (based on the doppelbocks I've tried), this sets the standard for the style. Highly recommended. (1,502 characters)

Poured into a mug.

A: Dark ruby-brown color with a thick tan head. Retention and lacing were excellent.

S: Lots of sweet caramel on the nose, along with a warm, toasty character. Some light roast notes come through as well. Rich aromas, but never overwhelming.

T: Deep roasted character, tempered somewhat by a rich, caramel sweetness. Warm toasty notes and a very mild hop bitterness round it all out. Very well-blended. On the lower end in terms of carbonation and the aftertaste is sweet and roasty.

D: Probably the most drinkable dopplebock I've ever tasted. Could throw a few back, but this is a sipper in my book.

Wow. I'm stunned. I cannot think of any way that this beer could possibly be improved. Rich and malty, yet very drinkable. The flavors meld very nicely and the whole experience borders on the sublime. It's nice to sample a beer that lives up to the praise it receives. (893 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

a. dark brown with a long lasting thick coco head

s. carmel roasted goodness roasted malts

t. carmel buttery very smooth enjoyable aftertaste

m.full bodied creamy

d.very drinkable taste great carmel buttery perfect bitterness very enjoyable

one of my favorites... (269 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

poured into my mug, beautiful lingering crown of tan head, smell of molasses, and caramel.
tastes of dark sweet bread, molasses, brown sugar, a bit of hops and alcohol in the back as well. Thick, chewey,maltey goodness. I love this beer, It was drinking celebrator that originally convinced me that malt forward beers were as good as hop bombs, and it has yet to let me down. (376 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

I had my very first dopplebock a couple of days ago and was impressed: I had my second one today and was completely blown away.
When I first poured this into the glass it had a typical brown to dark brown body with an immensely dense light brown that sticks around to the very end. But when I held this up to the light it was actually deep rich mahogany/garnet color, beautiful.
The smell was sweet dark fruits and roasted malts; molasses and brown sugar were also very prevalent.
Pretty huge taste of sweet malts to start that give way to a roasted flavor, and then there's actually some bitterness from the hops.
Velvety smooth mouthfeel that just rolls around my mouth with a silky creaminess that's just enticing me to take another sip.
Highly drinkable, great from pour to last drop and leaves me wanting more and after that, a little more. (851 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

It poured out a dark, almost chocolate, brown. The tan colored head diminished quickly but left a nice trace throughout the duration.

Overall, a pleasant aroma that has a nice malt scent to it. A second whiff reveals a scent similar to coffee.

The first sip was dominated by the delicious malt flavor. It has an almost chocolate-like taste, with a hint of caramel and molasses. With only a very moderate carbonation, it goes gown extremely smooth and has a dry creamy finish to it. Without a doubt, this is the best doppelbock that I have had. (551 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Opened a 11.2 oz bottle to celebrate my birthday and watch my woods fill up with snow. What a brew! Maybe better from bottle than from tap last month in Va.
suggest you set sort to "top reviewers" and read this beers accolades! Your ears, eyes, nose, tongue, and palate are in for a treat starting with the pop-fiz thru the pouring with a malty yeast aroma rishing along with molasses and exquisite esters, taste perfectly blended and well described as "monsterous" includes deep, roasted molasses finishing with the most perfect aftertaste. Carpe diem! (555 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

After looking at the reviews for weeks, and then the $13.99 price tag for 6 12oz. bottles....I finally tried this wonderful creation. Plain and simple, this is beer at its best. I don't know all the fancy terms...but people before me have described this beer well. Buy this beer. (282 characters)