Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,295 | Hads: 5,952
4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Pours a very dark amber brown color with a tan head that disappears quickly but leaves a nice lacing around the glass

S - Brown sugar, hops, and herbal aromas mix together nicely

T - The deep taste of malts and hops mix with the brown sugar and light chocolate to complete this complex tasting beer

M - Thick bodied, medium carbonated

D - Overall, a great beer that doesn't disappoint

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Beautiful head that crowns after it's left to sit for a while, nice lacing.

Licorice and roasted coco with hints of caramel in the aroma.

Earthy malts with licorice and a light espresso touch. Smooth creamy caramel finds it's way into the background. Finishes like a Latte due to the light foam residing on the top of the beer, which is remenisant of a roasted marshmellow.

A richly complex and balanced beer that I would love to always have on hand. Tastes even better in my Celebrator glass.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

The guy at my liquor store told me that I NEED to try this beer, and now I understand why. The first sip actually made me grin with joy at finding such a beer. I am sitting here drinking it now straight from the 330ml bottle.

The taste is strongest just after swallowing and is good malt with a taste of hops if you try to taste it. It's not nearly as strong as other doppelbocks I have enjoyed, but is by no means weak. The slightly hoppy aftertaste does dissipate very quickly though, but that's OK with me seeing how I prefer a malty taste.

Very clean and refreshing while it is in your mouth, and very thirst quenching. I almost think it might be a little too thin for a dark beer, but it doesn't seem to detract from the taste, so I guess that just means that one can drink more without getting full

A top of the line beer from a top of the line brewery.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Somehow I forgot to rate this. This is one of my favorite brews.

Pours dark without much head. But a little stays around. Caramel coffee and chocolate on the nose. I usually drink this fairly warm. It is very easy to drink despite the 7.4% alcohol. A little carbonation up front. Lots of malt and caramel, chocolate. Finish is a little dry.

Doppelbocks are good and this one is the best! This is one of the most pleasant drinks you will ever have. Smooth is the word!!

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into a perfect pint glass, I get a very dark, almost opaque beer but with ruby highlights around the edge. Not much head and no lace.

The aroma is full of roasted malts, slightly bready, a hint of medicinal phenols.

The taste... oh my goodness. Rich, malty but not sweet, more than a touch of coffee, a little less in the way of hops. Wonderfully dry finish and a lingering bitterness that comes from the roasted malts rather than from hops, I think.

Very good mouthfeel - thick, chewy, full-bodied.

I wish I didn't have to pay import prices for this beer - it would be my daily tipple if I could afford it. But then I'd be totally spoilt.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Poured a very nice dark chocolate color, that remained translucent in the tulip I used. Nice 2 finger head that faded quickly to just a covering on the top with a ring around the glass.

S - What a great malt smell, one of the best aromas from a beer I have ever smelled. You can really smell the darker crystal malts used, a great caramel and toffee like aroma with a slight hop presence.

T - Wow! I was expecting it to be a little more over the top, but the balance of this beer is superb. The malt really shines in this brew, so clean with a chocolate and caramel flavors dominating. Finishing with some dark fruit flavors and a great hop bitterness.

M - Great feel, there are quite a few unfermented sugars in here, really gives this a nice full feel.

D - So well balanced that it is almost dangerously drinkable. You could drink a couple too many of these before you knew what hit you. The alcohol really takes a back seat to all the wonderful flavors, but it is there, and you will feel it!

I am normally an ale man, love the complex flavors of them. This is hands down the best lager not to mention bock I have had. All the complexity of a great ale, yet still crisp and clean. If I had to pick one work to describe this beer it would be balance...if I were allowed two...perfect balance. If you have not had this beer get it, you will love it.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Overrated? I think not. Celebrator pours a deep, dark ruby color with a massive tan head. Leaves nice lace all the way down the glass. The nose is quite diverse with notes of raisins, chocolate, alcohol and a hint of coffee. Notes of sweet maltiness, caramel, chocolate and a nutty flavor reign in the taste department. Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth and creamy. Drinkability is up there with the best of them, as well. A magnificent, world-class beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

By far the best dopplebocks I have ever had and probably my favorite beer. Sure its costly and hard to find but it is worth while. Found it down in edwardsville il at a bar that only serves craft brews and imports. If you can find it you'll like it. Guaranteed.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

330ML bottle with no date, poured into my Troegs mug...

A - Dark muddy brownish/black color with a perfect one finger head and nice tan head. A sticky lace holds throughout consumption

S - Caramel and malts are predominant for me. Very good aroma that makes you crave it

T - Dark fruits, caramel, toffee, butterscotch and with a malty backbone. Absolutely perfect for the style

M - Smooth, medium body with a low carbonation. Ultra smooth finish

O - Doppelbocks aren't usually my thing but there's no way you can't appreciate how great this beer is. The 6.7% masks amazingly well. I could crush this beer so easily. The unique flavors meld perfectly together. This is absolutely world class and I'm kicking myself for continually passing it up time after time

On Tap @ Local 44

Look: Dark mahogany color, creamy beige head, light lacing

Smell: Malty, chocolate, roasted nuts, caramel

Taste: Up Front: Malt, dark fruit, burnt toast, toffee, vanilla. Finish: Chocolate with a slight fruity finish

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth

Drinkability: Keep em' coming!

Overall Impression: Had this one on tap and it was De-LISH! This beer has great depth to it, but it's not overpowering, so you can have more than one. Herr Rick took a sip of my beer and he liked it too!

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; beautiful dark blackish red with just a trace of light sneaking through. Excellent retention with spotty lacing as its enjoyed.

Smell: Toasty bread smothered in molasses and cinnamon. Deepy and darkly malty.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with low/medium carbonation, moderately syrupy, just a little hoppy on the back of the tongue.

Taste: Sweet molasses malt, toasted cinnamon bread and hoppy alcohol on the finish. Caramelly warmth on the finishing exhale.

Drinkability: This one lives up to its names and reputation. Easily savored and enjoyed at the same time.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

A: pours a very dark oaky brown with a healthy one finger head. Lacing all the way down.

S: Oh the malty goodness. It's really unbeleivable. Caramel, vanilla, chocolate malts.

T: I forgot how freakin awesome this beer is. The malt is just extraordinary. It pretty much tastes exactly how it smells.

M: Full body. Good. plenty of carbonation. Very nice.

D: There's a reason it comes in four packs. Any more than four of these is simply too much. Still, it tastes so damn good, it's hard to drink just one.

From tap to stein glass

A: Pours dark brown, maybe a shade lighter than black, with a vibrant dark brown head. Little lacing remains under the weight of this viscous brew.

S: Notes of molasses and bready malts up front. A rich bouquet as touch of ripe fruit plays with the chocolate and alcohol notes.

T: Malt forward with flavors of molasses and toffee prominent. Rich, chewy, layered, the ripe fruit in the nose plays a bigger role here. A touch of hop astringincy adds balance, and all of the flavors work in harmony.

M/notes: There's a reason dopplebocks work as meal replacements, and this brew highlights why people can go weeks consuming nothing but this beer. The flavors are delicious, the complexion is satisfying. I try to keep this around as much as possible.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

This is an amazing beer. For those who don't usually like dark beers, don't be put off by the appearance here: Celebrator is a relatively medium-bodied, tasty brew that anyone can and should enjoy. Procured a single bottle from WFM. Poured into a frozen pint glass.

A: Awesome, super dark and rich brown with an amber tint when held up to the light. A little head with persistent lacing.

S: Wow...Ripe bananas, prunes, caramel and subtle notes of licorice and dark chocolate.

T: Light toasted bananas, malt, caramel and a hint of licorice.
Goes down very smooth and has a wonderful, somewhat spicy, wet finish.

Drinkability: I feel like a four pack would be plenty.

Value: A little pricey. But look on the bright side- you get a free Christmas ornament on every bottle. I got like 7 of those little rams on my tree this year. I normally don't like spending this much on beer, but as a treat, this one is worth the dough.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a hefeweizen glass.

A- Pours a thick chocolatey colored head. An amber, dark brown appearance to the brew. Bottom of the glass is a see through red glow, however up towards stubborn settling head is the dark brown, almost non see through chocolate color. Almost no lacing. The goat charm gets points just because.

S- Roasted peanuts, which is making me want some like crazy. Hints of chocolate and caramel. Smell the yeast in the slightest. The roasted peanuts though for me at least, is the most dominant.

T- Let me say something, this is only the second dopplebock I've ever tried, but I'm willing to bet anyone that I'll never taste a better one. Lets see, caramel, chocolate, roasted malts, the peanut flavor is there, and bread. This thing reminds me of malt powder somewhat in a milk shake, or the malt ball candy you can buy. Not only will this most certainly be the best dopplebock I've had, but also most likely, and currently one of the best tasting beers I've ever had.

M- Super creamy. Feels like buttermilk. Medium bodied. Slightly sweet on the palatte.

D- Incredible. Glad when I went to Total Wine that I got a fourpack instead of just one. When I go to the best distributor in my area next time, I'll be tempted to buy a case. No hint of alcohol whatsoever. The only thing from keeping this beer perfect is the appearance is good. Yes, MERELY good. Everything else is just incredible.

Notes: Prost to Franz Inselkammer for making such a great beer. I'd still say Belgians have the edge, but this beer does make me proud of my heritage.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

One of the greats. What other phrase can possibly describe a beer with such a lucious, deep, dark color; such a billowing, persistent, magnificent head; and such a delightfully shocking aroma and taste?

Deep, dark midnight black -- that is, just this side of jet black. The head is a silly putty gray/brown that could be described as a dark off-tan. It's bulbous presence lingers throughout the entire experience. And it gives rise to one of the finer aromas one can hope for on a lager. Sweet, smooth hints of carmelized brown sugar and burnt malts grace the nose.

The same flavors carry through to the palate where dopplebock taste is simply defined. A big, sweet malty presence begins the treat and underscores every subtle flavor throughout. Not to be outdone, the hops play perfectly here, bringing with it a roasted bitterness that plays to the finish. If there's such a thing as "squinting" with one's mouth, engaging in such an action reveals just the slightest bit of lingering sweetness. This silky smooth brew may be, in my opinion, simply the best lager beer there is in any style. A treat.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Really dark,opaque brown though it looks relatively thin with a thin layer of dark tan head that fades pretty quickly, leaving a random smattering of patches on the surface and almost no lacing.

S: Dark roasted malts, caramel and a slightly woody smell. Smells sweet with molasses and burnt sugars.

T: Taste is phenomenal. Roasted malts compound with toasty flavors, caramel, molasses, some spice and a slight hint of alcohol. Additionally hints of vanilla.

M: This is one of those rare cases where the flavor and the mouthfeel don't just coexist, but play beautifully off of each other. The mouthfeel is light but creamy and slightly sticky, letting the flavor linger in the back of the throat.

O: Really a great beer. The aroma and flavor are complex, compact and absolutely delicious. Worth a look, worth seeking out. This is a beer that could (should) be a staple in any beer drinker's life.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have had this beer several times. My favorite part of this beer is the little goat that hangs on the side of the bottle. Not sure if he has a name, but he's cute! There are also goats on the label. Does anyone know the connection with goals the doppelbock style?

My palate has been out of sorts lately. I haven't been in the mood for a particular style in a few weeks, and nothing tastes good. Not that it doesn't taste good, but there are days where I am not even in the mood for a beer. Good thing I know what this tastes like, and know it will be an enjoyable experience. I can already smell the bready sweetness on this bottle as I was pouring it. Let's drink!

In the Glass: I remember this beer being dark, but not this dark. It is nearly black in the glass, and offers a nice thin tan head. The lace is nice and thick, too. I am sure this will, as it heats up, it will get better. But I KNOW it will be good from the first sip.

Nose: Lots of bread on the nose. The more I smell it the more malty flavors I am starting to pick up some dark chocolate, almost coffee notes after a few sniffs. The aroma is so powerful I can almost taste it as I smell. That is a sign of a good beer. Before I take my first sip, let me tell you… the beer looks creamy in the glass now. Maybe it is the way the light is hitting the head, but the beer looks even more inviting than normal. Maybe my desire for beer is coming back!

Flavor: Holy. Crap. This beer is SO SO SO good. I mean, great. I could seriously drink a gallon of this and be fine. Well, not fine… flavor wise, anyway. There are some nice layers of carbonation to start, then the dark bready flavors really shine through. Then, as you swallow, it turns somewhat sweet and finishes with a nice hoppy dryness. Think Irish stouts when without the metallic finish. The flavor here is just incredible. I bet this would make a good food beer, too. It is thick enough to be a meal all by itself. This is what beer should taste like. Bravo, Aying!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is thick and creamy with slight bubbles around the edge. I did swish a sip around in my mouth, and it did open up a little bit. Not too much, but the fluffy texture turned to bubbles. I rarely finish a glass before I am done writing, but this will be gone before I am finished. It is too good to let it heat up. Right out of the fridge and I am satisfied. Guys, this is one of the best beers I have tasted in weeks and I plan to make this the beer of the week next week at Total Wine & More. YUMMY!

Aftertaste: For a beer that has this much flavor, I expected the finish to be a bit more bold. The drying is nice, though. It lasts for a few minutes, but isn't as intense as the flavor profile here. I guess I will just have to take another drink. Hold on… be right back! Man, this just gets better with every sip. Maybe I have found a new love for doppelbocks.

This beer makes me want to celebrate!!! Get it? I doubt that is where the name comes from, but this is such a tasty beer, I might buy another one on my way home tonight. We are going to some grand opening somewhere… free appetizers and free drinks. Not sure what, but it should be fun. I don't even know what the place is called! Anyway, I am excited to try a new bar and hopefully they have some good cocktails available. If not, I will leave and find a bar offering Celebrator. CHEERS!

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

It pours a beautiful brown with a hint of red. The head foams up a bit but dies down quickly and elegantly, leaving just a trace around the top. The smell and taste are very complex with molasses, ripe fruit, and a hint of caramel. This is just a beautiful beer with a great mouthfeel and unbelievable drinkability. A classic worthy of the praise heaped upon it.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

330ml bottle served in a mug.

Review nr. 500 deserves a worthy beer!

A: Pours a clear deep and dark amber color. Nutty. Forms a big beige and bit creamy head when poured. Medium retention and only few lacings formed and left in the glass

S: Very toffee. Roasted malts, brown bread ans Lager yeasts. However, it's quite fruity with notes of raisins and figs. Oak. Lovely

T: Sweet upfront. Toffee, roasted malts, caramel malts, brown bread, Lager yeasts. Notes of chocolate. Light hoppy/roasted bitterness in the end

M: Medium body. Slightly molasses. Medium to low carbonation. Aftertaste is roasted and light bitter

O: Excellent drinkability. State of art German Doppelbock

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Super dark brown color with a big brownish head, held to light reveals ruby red color. Head settled to a ring that left surprisingly little lace.
Unbelievable aroma with lots of caramel maltiness, raisins, figs and molasses smells. One of the best smelling beers I have ever tried.
Big malt flavor, plenty of toasty caramel sweetness, some dark chocolate and light notes of raisins and fig, all balanced out with a nice hop bitterness. Big mouthfeel that matches the flavor, this is a very rich beer that I don't think I could drink a lot of at once.
Finishes rather dry, but even at the end some of the malt sweetness comes through.
A great beer, and I can see why it's currently #1 although it's not my personal ideal beer. This would be a great dessert beer, but it seemed too rich (and too expensive) for everyday drinking.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Pat at Finger Lakes Beverage in Ithaca recommended this for me to try as he said it's the best Dopplebock around. I was attracted to the nice little goat charm. This is one amazing looking beer. Very dark ruby appearance with a wonderful dark khaki colored head that remains throughout entire tasting with a medium grainy lace. Smell is of a nutty chocolate with a toasted malt undertone. Very pleasant smell. Taste follows up quite well after the amazing odor. Lots of malt! Very sweet bready flavors, brown sugar, raisin as well. Little to no alcohol bite which I enjoy. Such a smooth enjoyable brew that has a fair amount of carbonation to it, but doesn't distract from its overall balance. This beer left me speechless, I highly recommend this no matter what kind of beer you prefer. I have a new respect for Dopplebocks and look forward to trying more. Thank you Pat from Finger Lakes Beverage!

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance is a rich brown ochre with a coffee colored foam that is so thick it is heavy – and leaves lacing that stays to the end. Aroma has yeasty bread, raisins and molasses, toffee, ethanol, pumpkin pie spices, hops and lots of malt. Initial taste is all of the above with bitter hops balancing out the sweetness beautifully. Plums and currants are present, and the sweet after finish leaves one wanting some spice cake or mincemeat pie. Mouth feel is like drinking a malt. Not much carbonation. Compare side by side with Salvator sometime. Interesting. Love this stuff!

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a dark brown with a nice lasting head.

Smells like sweet roasted malts. Smells wonderfull.

Taste is all about balance. A balance between all the tastes coming from malts to the carbonation and the lighter hops.

This beer is wonderfully smooth and a bit creamy.

An all time favorite with me and my friends. For a special occasions.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Cola-colored liquid with off-white head. Head rose high than quick fizzled down to a thin layer over the beer. Not part of the beer, but an added nod for the cute goat ornament adorning every bottle.

Smell: Sweet malty aroma, hint of raisin or cherry. Refreshing hop notes as well.

Taste: Lightly toasted malt flavor, subtle raisin sweetness, and a closing bit of hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, enjoyable brew. Barely noticeable aftertaste; somewhat of a malt/hop wrestling match going on with maltiness winning out in the end.

Drinkability: As drinkable as water but much more delicious. Low ABV for a Doppelbock and surprisingly complex palate. Available in 4-packs of 330ml but at a price where four Weihenstephan Korbinian 16.9oz singles are actually cheaper. A tough choice to make.