Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,832 | Reviews: 2,311
4.82/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have had this beer several times. My favorite part of this beer is the little goat that hangs on the side of the bottle. Not sure if he has a name, but he's cute! There are also goats on the label. Does anyone know the connection with goals the doppelbock style?

My palate has been out of sorts lately. I haven't been in the mood for a particular style in a few weeks, and nothing tastes good. Not that it doesn't taste good, but there are days where I am not even in the mood for a beer. Good thing I know what this tastes like, and know it will be an enjoyable experience. I can already smell the bready sweetness on this bottle as I was pouring it. Let's drink!

In the Glass: I remember this beer being dark, but not this dark. It is nearly black in the glass, and offers a nice thin tan head. The lace is nice and thick, too. I am sure this will, as it heats up, it will get better. But I KNOW it will be good from the first sip.

Nose: Lots of bread on the nose. The more I smell it the more malty flavors I am starting to pick up some dark chocolate, almost coffee notes after a few sniffs. The aroma is so powerful I can almost taste it as I smell. That is a sign of a good beer. Before I take my first sip, let me tell you… the beer looks creamy in the glass now. Maybe it is the way the light is hitting the head, but the beer looks even more inviting than normal. Maybe my desire for beer is coming back!

Flavor: Holy. Crap. This beer is SO SO SO good. I mean, great. I could seriously drink a gallon of this and be fine. Well, not fine… flavor wise, anyway. There are some nice layers of carbonation to start, then the dark bready flavors really shine through. Then, as you swallow, it turns somewhat sweet and finishes with a nice hoppy dryness. Think Irish stouts when without the metallic finish. The flavor here is just incredible. I bet this would make a good food beer, too. It is thick enough to be a meal all by itself. This is what beer should taste like. Bravo, Aying!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is thick and creamy with slight bubbles around the edge. I did swish a sip around in my mouth, and it did open up a little bit. Not too much, but the fluffy texture turned to bubbles. I rarely finish a glass before I am done writing, but this will be gone before I am finished. It is too good to let it heat up. Right out of the fridge and I am satisfied. Guys, this is one of the best beers I have tasted in weeks and I plan to make this the beer of the week next week at Total Wine & More. YUMMY!

Aftertaste: For a beer that has this much flavor, I expected the finish to be a bit more bold. The drying is nice, though. It lasts for a few minutes, but isn't as intense as the flavor profile here. I guess I will just have to take another drink. Hold on… be right back! Man, this just gets better with every sip. Maybe I have found a new love for doppelbocks.

This beer makes me want to celebrate!!! Get it? I doubt that is where the name comes from, but this is such a tasty beer, I might buy another one on my way home tonight. We are going to some grand opening somewhere… free appetizers and free drinks. Not sure what, but it should be fun. I don't even know what the place is called! Anyway, I am excited to try a new bar and hopefully they have some good cocktails available. If not, I will leave and find a bar offering Celebrator. CHEERS!

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

It pours a beautiful brown with a hint of red. The head foams up a bit but dies down quickly and elegantly, leaving just a trace around the top. The smell and taste are very complex with molasses, ripe fruit, and a hint of caramel. This is just a beautiful beer with a great mouthfeel and unbelievable drinkability. A classic worthy of the praise heaped upon it.

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

330ml bottle served in a mug.

Review nr. 500 deserves a worthy beer!

A: Pours a clear deep and dark amber color. Nutty. Forms a big beige and bit creamy head when poured. Medium retention and only few lacings formed and left in the glass

S: Very toffee. Roasted malts, brown bread ans Lager yeasts. However, it's quite fruity with notes of raisins and figs. Oak. Lovely

T: Sweet upfront. Toffee, roasted malts, caramel malts, brown bread, Lager yeasts. Notes of chocolate. Light hoppy/roasted bitterness in the end

M: Medium body. Slightly molasses. Medium to low carbonation. Aftertaste is roasted and light bitter

O: Excellent drinkability. State of art German Doppelbock

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

Super dark brown color with a big brownish head, held to light reveals ruby red color. Head settled to a ring that left surprisingly little lace.
Unbelievable aroma with lots of caramel maltiness, raisins, figs and molasses smells. One of the best smelling beers I have ever tried.
Big malt flavor, plenty of toasty caramel sweetness, some dark chocolate and light notes of raisins and fig, all balanced out with a nice hop bitterness. Big mouthfeel that matches the flavor, this is a very rich beer that I don't think I could drink a lot of at once.
Finishes rather dry, but even at the end some of the malt sweetness comes through.
A great beer, and I can see why it's currently #1 although it's not my personal ideal beer. This would be a great dessert beer, but it seemed too rich (and too expensive) for everyday drinking.

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Pat at Finger Lakes Beverage in Ithaca recommended this for me to try as he said it's the best Dopplebock around. I was attracted to the nice little goat charm. This is one amazing looking beer. Very dark ruby appearance with a wonderful dark khaki colored head that remains throughout entire tasting with a medium grainy lace. Smell is of a nutty chocolate with a toasted malt undertone. Very pleasant smell. Taste follows up quite well after the amazing odor. Lots of malt! Very sweet bready flavors, brown sugar, raisin as well. Little to no alcohol bite which I enjoy. Such a smooth enjoyable brew that has a fair amount of carbonation to it, but doesn't distract from its overall balance. This beer left me speechless, I highly recommend this no matter what kind of beer you prefer. I have a new respect for Dopplebocks and look forward to trying more. Thank you Pat from Finger Lakes Beverage!

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance is a rich brown ochre with a coffee colored foam that is so thick it is heavy – and leaves lacing that stays to the end. Aroma has yeasty bread, raisins and molasses, toffee, ethanol, pumpkin pie spices, hops and lots of malt. Initial taste is all of the above with bitter hops balancing out the sweetness beautifully. Plums and currants are present, and the sweet after finish leaves one wanting some spice cake or mincemeat pie. Mouth feel is like drinking a malt. Not much carbonation. Compare side by side with Salvator sometime. Interesting. Love this stuff!

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a dark brown with a nice lasting head.

Smells like sweet roasted malts. Smells wonderfull.

Taste is all about balance. A balance between all the tastes coming from malts to the carbonation and the lighter hops.

This beer is wonderfully smooth and a bit creamy.

An all time favorite with me and my friends. For a special occasions.

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Cola-colored liquid with off-white head. Head rose high than quick fizzled down to a thin layer over the beer. Not part of the beer, but an added nod for the cute goat ornament adorning every bottle.

Smell: Sweet malty aroma, hint of raisin or cherry. Refreshing hop notes as well.

Taste: Lightly toasted malt flavor, subtle raisin sweetness, and a closing bit of hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, enjoyable brew. Barely noticeable aftertaste; somewhat of a malt/hop wrestling match going on with maltiness winning out in the end.

Drinkability: As drinkable as water but much more delicious. Low ABV for a Doppelbock and surprisingly complex palate. Available in 4-packs of 330ml but at a price where four Weihenstephan Korbinian 16.9oz singles are actually cheaper. A tough choice to make.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance - poured with a finger and a half of tan head, brown with hints of ruby around the edges, head dissipates after a couple of minutes to a thin layer

Smell - malts all the way here, toasty, slight chocolate, bit of dark fruit

Taste - quick hit of bitterness upfront which quickly moves out of the way to let the malts do their dance, toasted flavor comes in strong at the back end providing the outro for the sip. As it warms bitterness subsides to almost nothing and the toasted flavor becomes even more prominent

Mouthfeel - full, but not thick, smooth

Drinkability - dangerously drinkable. I had to consciously take it slow with this one because it goes down way to easy. My only regret is not having more available.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance: Deliciously black, thin head retained for the duration, solid lacing as well.

Smell: Oak, Cherry, chocolate malt, sweet raisins.

Taste: Same as above. Nice warming, with a very burnt chocolaty coffee finish.

Mouthfeel: Like some sort of delectable dessert, as rich a beer I've not had.

Drinkablity: I savored the last sip of this like a coke fiend on the short end of a bag.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a 330mL (about 11-ounce) bottle into a pint glass. I kind of wish I had a 12-ounce mug.

Appearance: Deep, dark brown, and almost totally opaque. A VAGUE hint of ruby red is visible around the edges when I hold my glass up to a strong light source. The head is about as dark brown as I've seen, and retention/lacing are both minimal. In spite of this, the color of the beer itself is truly unique, meriting a perfect score in my view.

Smell: The overarching scent is of roasted malt. Repeated sniffs yield some dried fruits (I detect dried plums and apricots), with a certain nuttiness that is tough to pin down.

Taste: Sweet and malty, followed by a nice, warm toastiness. I've seen this beer's flavor compared to coffee here, and I won't disagree -- at the end of a long sip, I can taste a roasted coffee bean-like flavor. Also present: dried fruits (as in the nose), roasted almonds, and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel: Mild to moderate carbonation. Very "thick" and heavy in the mouth, which is a good thing. I feel like I'm drinking some kind of holiday cake, with a hint of strong coffee.

Drinkability: Fantastic. The 6.7 ABV is just right for the style, as it's not detectable on the palate, but it rears its head in the stomach and the brain. This stuff is like the chocolate milk of beer -- thick, hearty, and comforting. I'd prefer this to hot chocolate on a wintry night.

In my opinion (based on the doppelbocks I've tried), this sets the standard for the style. Highly recommended.

Poured into a mug.

A: Dark ruby-brown color with a thick tan head. Retention and lacing were excellent.

S: Lots of sweet caramel on the nose, along with a warm, toasty character. Some light roast notes come through as well. Rich aromas, but never overwhelming.

T: Deep roasted character, tempered somewhat by a rich, caramel sweetness. Warm toasty notes and a very mild hop bitterness round it all out. Very well-blended. On the lower end in terms of carbonation and the aftertaste is sweet and roasty.

D: Probably the most drinkable dopplebock I've ever tasted. Could throw a few back, but this is a sipper in my book.

Wow. I'm stunned. I cannot think of any way that this beer could possibly be improved. Rich and malty, yet very drinkable. The flavors meld very nicely and the whole experience borders on the sublime. It's nice to sample a beer that lives up to the praise it receives.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

a. dark brown with a long lasting thick coco head

s. carmel roasted goodness roasted malts

t. carmel buttery very smooth enjoyable aftertaste

m.full bodied creamy

d.very drinkable taste great carmel buttery perfect bitterness very enjoyable

one of my favorites...

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

poured into my mug, beautiful lingering crown of tan head, smell of molasses, and caramel.
tastes of dark sweet bread, molasses, brown sugar, a bit of hops and alcohol in the back as well. Thick, chewey,maltey goodness. I love this beer, It was drinking celebrator that originally convinced me that malt forward beers were as good as hop bombs, and it has yet to let me down.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

I had my very first dopplebock a couple of days ago and was impressed: I had my second one today and was completely blown away.
When I first poured this into the glass it had a typical brown to dark brown body with an immensely dense light brown that sticks around to the very end. But when I held this up to the light it was actually deep rich mahogany/garnet color, beautiful.
The smell was sweet dark fruits and roasted malts; molasses and brown sugar were also very prevalent.
Pretty huge taste of sweet malts to start that give way to a roasted flavor, and then there's actually some bitterness from the hops.
Velvety smooth mouthfeel that just rolls around my mouth with a silky creaminess that's just enticing me to take another sip.
Highly drinkable, great from pour to last drop and leaves me wanting more and after that, a little more.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

It poured out a dark, almost chocolate, brown. The tan colored head diminished quickly but left a nice trace throughout the duration.

Overall, a pleasant aroma that has a nice malt scent to it. A second whiff reveals a scent similar to coffee.

The first sip was dominated by the delicious malt flavor. It has an almost chocolate-like taste, with a hint of caramel and molasses. With only a very moderate carbonation, it goes gown extremely smooth and has a dry creamy finish to it. Without a doubt, this is the best doppelbock that I have had.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Opened a 11.2 oz bottle to celebrate my birthday and watch my woods fill up with snow. What a brew! Maybe better from bottle than from tap last month in Va.
suggest you set sort to "top reviewers" and read this beers accolades! Your ears, eyes, nose, tongue, and palate are in for a treat starting with the pop-fiz thru the pouring with a malty yeast aroma rishing along with molasses and exquisite esters, taste perfectly blended and well described as "monsterous" includes deep, roasted molasses finishing with the most perfect aftertaste. Carpe diem!

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

After looking at the reviews for weeks, and then the $13.99 price tag for 6 12oz. bottles....I finally tried this wonderful creation. Plain and simple, this is beer at its best. I don't know all the fancy terms...but people before me have described this beer well. Buy this beer.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Small capped bottle poured into my Corsendonk tulip.

Very dark brew, impenetrable, little to no highlights, and capped by a dense brown head that stays around for a long time, leaves a nice thick collar and lacing.
Aroma is delicious, although slightly more delicate than I expected. Caramel, toffee, some unexpected (to me) smokiness, alcohol, all blending quite nicely.
Minimal carbonation in this medium bodied (I expected a bit more body) brew lends it a very smooth, velvety palate
Flavor is just what you want from a doppelbock; sweetish malts, dark fruits, caramel, molasses, the same smokiness although a bit more pronounced. Some mild bitterness and alcoholic warmth and dryness is there to prevent it from being cloying, and it all blends perfectly.
I don't think doppelbocks get any better than this!

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Opaque mahogany with a two finger beige head that is reduced to a lacing.

Smells of molasses with a hint of grape on the end.

Deep stain, like a Belgian dark ale, but without the fruit. Robust, malty, overtone is toffee with bread and toffee. Like a brown without the nut flavor, damn near as thick as a stout. A real cold weather beer that I'd take over almost every porter.

Unusually crisp.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Aroma Very bready/biscuity! Sweet caramel, hay, vanilla, bourbon, some smoke. Huge white head with lots of lacing--reminds me of a root beer float. Very dark brown, some ruby when held it up to a light. Very creamy, very sweet but not overly so. Crazy complex flavors. Those biscuits are prominent, some spicy (cinnamon, nutmeg) notes, vanilla, bourbon, cherries, caramel, toffee, smoke, honey, banana, clove, roastiness. I could go on, and on, picking random flavors I recognize out of this. But this beer is more than the sum of its parts. Sweet finish, this is not a beer you'd want to drink a ton of, it's more of a dessert/special occasion beverage. There is no such thing as the perfect beer--but hey, this is close enough.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

This strong lager just might be the ultimate beer - and I tend not to be a lagerhead. At 6.7% the ABV is at the low end of the range for Doppelbocks. So the alcohol presence is not overwhelming, as it can be with some versions of this style. The taste and appearance become one, as the smokey carmel sweetness is bespoken by the creamy tan head and dark reddish-brown body. Enjoy this one in a proper vessel - brandy snifter - to enhance its regal qualities.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

I have had this beer many many times, but I thought I would sit down and actually evaluate it for once. I opened the bottle and poured it into a heavy pint glass. It pours well with a very festive foam and thick creamy head that lasts. The color is a dark black with maybe a hint of amber. It smells toasty with a strong malt essence. After the sip I notice an extremely smooth mouthfeel and a slight sweetness. But then I get a smack bam! With a strong, yet pleasant, bold coffee-ish flavor. The sweetness diminishes and I taste a strong malty goodness. I love this beer and always have. I would recommend it to anyone who is trying out new doppelbocks or is into dark beers in general. It's a dark beer with real flavor.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Pours a dark brown with dark red highlights against the light. A finger of tan head with small bubbles forms initially, but soon dissipates leaving only a thin layer behind.

S: Lots of dark fruit notes like raisins, figs, and dates. Alcohol is also noticeable, but mixes well. This is all layered on top of a smooth cocoa-malt base. A very rich aroma.

T: The taste mirrors the aroma with more of those sweet dark fruit flavors. The alcohol isn't as noticeable as it is in the aroma. The finishing flavor is that dusty dry cocoa flavor with a sweet dark malt note. Again, a very rich array of flavors.

M: It keeps from being too heavy or sticky sweet on the tongue, but still coats the mouth and has a not insubstantial body.

O: A very excellent example of the style. Sweet and rich without going overboard. A dessert beer, but a complex one that makes you stop and think about what flavors you're getting.

4.84/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a deep chocolatey brown, almost black, wth a nice, creamy eggshell white head. Lacing is incredible. Smell is exquisite-lots of cherry, chocolate, toffee, coffee, and smoky richness. Taste is smooth, easy and surprisingly light for a doppelbock. I had this in a wide mouthed glass, I highly recommend this type of glass to fully appreciate the aroma and bouquet (can you say that about a beer?). Seriously, the smell of this beer is out of this world. Taste is top notch. I love this beer, and can't believe I haven't tried it before, I guess I was afraid of a dark German beer. Don't fear the doppelbock . . . .