Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -36.6%

KevinMc, Aug 13, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -35.5%

A = a wonderfully rich, almost black brown color, with a beautiful tan head. I'm looking forward to this.

S = Rich and malty, roasty, hints of chocolate and toffe, mollasses, a touch of alcohol.

T = Yowza... not what I was expecting. I knew it was going to be rich and malt forward, but DAMN. Roasty and rich, very sweet (almost cloyingly sweet), chocolate and molasses, and something I can only describe as "beer funk". There is some hop bitterness but malt takes a front seat here. There is a slight booziness to it as well.

M = rich and chewy, very heavy

O = My first example of the Doppelbock style, and I can honestly say I don't think I was ready for it. I'll give it another try in the future, perhaps try another example of the style, but for me, this was far too sweet and heavy on the palate.

Das_Reh, Nov 01, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -34.8%

Pours a beautiful deep dark brown with a nice big everlasting tan head. So very sweet to the tongue. So very malty, but where's the hop balance? Creamy, but too thin to be as smooth as I'd expected. Too sweet of abeer for me; certainly not the best doppelbock I've had. Hype!

scottum, Dec 21, 2003
2.83/5  rDev -34.8%

It's a pretty decent looking, very dark brown doppelbock, with a good centimeter of creamy head when poured from the bottle, but it dissipates to about half that over a couple minutes. Lacing is pretty good, almost leaving thin sheets of foam down the side. The nose isn't particularly special, just malt and hops, no discernable alcohol aroma. The flavor isn't anything special either. It's pretty much what you'd expect from the nose. Malt, hops, bread. The mouthfeel is nice, thicker than many beers without being syrupy. The glowing reviews surprise me as I've found this to be a rather average beer. There are other doppelbocks that are considerably better than this one.

JWFokker, Sep 14, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -34.3%

poured into a trappist glass

looks like: coke with foam

smells like: sour grapes, stings the nostrils

tastes like: citrusy malt

feels like: back of the teeth feel weird

drinks like: smooth and easy but heavy on the stomach

i was expecting a whole lot more out of this one, very average to me but i expected a few distinct falvours rather than a ton of subtle notes. the amazing thing is how hidden the alcohol is until it hits the stomach. its a good tummy warmer.

the smell and taste reminds me of ham and cabbage.

Jtschupp04, Apr 19, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

a- opaque dark red-brown with a creamy tan head. spotty lacing on the glass.

s- dark fruits, pretty big toasty character, chocolate, a lactose-like character that reminds me of a thick milk stout. very slight alcohol hits the nose as well.

t- toasted grain, nuts, small hints of dark fruit & spice. an unpleasant, slightly off toasty finish. like cheese almost. A decently thick body but almost no carbonation to speak of, which this beer could benefit a lot from.

There is a certain grainy, cheesy sourness in the taste that I just can't get over. It bothers me a lot, to the point where I will avoid this beer in the future.

HappyBivouac, Mar 14, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -33.6%

Cool bottle with a white plastic goat hanging off of it. Poured into my snifter.

It pours a thick-looking reddish-brown (maroon?) and it had a big tan head on it. It looks pretty damn appetizing - if dense and brown are appetizing to you.

The smell was the first cause for let down. I got almost nothing from taking a few whiffs of this one. Some bread and very toasty malts. And... that's pretty much it. It smells like a beer but there is no spiciness and it doesn't smell as dark as it appears to be.

The taste is better with some big time malts and flavorful sugary fruit essence mixed in for good measure. Not much in the way of hop bitterness to balance it out, I thought. Slight chocolate undertone... I'll try this again someday to try and pick out the intricacies. Not very robust... Still, a nice tasting dopplebock.

There is medium carbonation and a medium body. A little sweet stickiness/creaminess.

I didn't want want another one after this. It feels thick in one's stomach and although this is a creamy beer, I did not cream myself over it. I'll have to try it again sometime though just to see what all the fuss is about.

Gigantis, Apr 29, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

Hey doppelbock's just aren't my style. Pours like some dark rust. Smell is a little more intriguing, not a turn off, very earthy, alcohol smell to it. Tastes like a combination of a rauchbier and trader joe's doppelbock. Meh. No hop presence, just some thin malt and alcohol to it. German mead.

All that dark fruit, belgian yeast? and alcohol just isn't a fun experience for me. YMMV. Don't take my score seriously, its just my score.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 23, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

aroma: slightly grapey smell, once poured there is some maltiness, however the smell os more of estery fruits and cereal like qualities.
Apperance: Its a dark flat brown, there are little rudy or red tones to it to make it seem more vibrant in color. No sediment in bottle
Taste: strong tastes, very complex. head itself tastes sort of copper-like, not bad. Malt flavor has a raisen/dried fruit/prune flavor to it. Pleasant mold bite on the palate. Slight alcoholic finish to it with a warming effect.
Mouthfeel: this is the most striking feature to the beer. The flavors grab hold of the tongue and coat it. It has a thickness to it that doesn't quit. Continually rubbed my tongue on the roof of my mouth as iff to clear something. The wholeness of the mouth feel experience is nice.
Overall: not a session beer. I don't care for the style, however the mild fruity malt character is true to the style and it is well done. The mouthfeel alone makes it worth a try. Not something I'd drink again, but had to try due to its high rating and often talked about qualities.
This would maybe pair well with a strong beef stew.

warchez, Oct 26, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

A brown amber in body, off white rocky head, a bit frothy. Smells of bread and malt. At first it is all malt, but not overpoweringly sweet and then the disapointing part, it turined like a citrus sour. I hope it was just the bottle that I poured from and not representative fo the beer, because I got a real grapefruit bitterness in the end that I cannot believe is desired. May try again due to reputation. But this was not good.

adammills, Dec 01, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

APPEARANCE
It looks like a bock, dark. Very inviiting. Ok head retention.

SMELL
Smells chocolately. Very good.

TASTE
It's ok. Good for a bock. Taste like chocolate and sweet.

MOUTHFEEL
silky and smooth

DRINKABILITY
Ok to have one now and then. Not so bad, but it is very filling.

GeneralZod, Dec 17, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: A very dark brew with a ruby hue when held to the light. A white-ish head with moderate retention and good lacing.

S: Malts but with a very prominent maple syrup aroma. Pretty basic, no fruity notes.

T: The malty sweetness is a bit overbearing, almost cloying.

M: Full-bodied. Moderate-low carbonation. Cloying.

Notes: Not my favorite beer. I do feel a bit awkward rating a beer so differently from everyone else. I looked at the brothers' review and I see that I noticed similar flavors as them. But the overbearingness of the sweetness really takes away from this beer. I will save the rest of the brews and re-try them after having experienced some other dopplebocks.

kevinjosephlee, Oct 02, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -32%

12oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a very dark brown, near black. Deep red edges when held to light. A foamy light tan head, leaves some lacing.

Dark fruit, raisin or prune perhaps, with some light caramel and faint cocoa.

The taste follows the nose pretty well.

A medium body with a fair amount of carbonation.

A decent beer I suppose, but the dark fruit notes were a bit dominate for my liking in both the aroma and taste.

vkv822, Feb 03, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -32%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass. Pours a dark tawny brown with some ruby highlights at the edges. A massive beige head billows out. Great retention; left lost of sticky lace in its wake. Scents of plums, currants, wood, booze, and some roasted malts. Nice.

The body on this is much thinner than I'd like. Carbonation level is low. This feels flat and unimpressive. The flavors are malty in character. Some roasted malts at the onset, but then this gives way to a dark fruity flavor, and finishes with some alcohol heat. All in all, I did not care for this beer. I know it's one of the top 100 beers, but I have had better of the style for sure. Won't have this again most likely.

Onenote81, Apr 07, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -32%

A - dark with blood red shine through when held to the light. Tall tan head.

S - sweet but with a minor V8 juice scent. Some malt as well.

T - not as sweet as the scent would make you think. Typical doppelbock flavor, not bad, but nothing special.

M - medium coating but no tingle or anything.

D - drinkable., but not a first choice or anything like that.

biglite351, May 09, 2010

A - Dark reddish color. Small head with little lacing
S - Smells like an amber ale. Hops and sweet malt.
T - Kind of an off taste at first. A little bitter. Has a not so sweet caramel flavor. Personally I do not really like this beer but maybe that is because I just do not like bocks in general. I really do not like this beer at all.
M - Kind of cloying, Not that carbonated
D - Very drinkable.

VTaler, Aug 05, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -31.3%

I know this beer is very popular, and held in some degree of esteem, but I don't get it.

A - Very dark, little off-white head, looks thin.

S - Huge breadiness, sweaty German hop, almost a wet dog smell, or like a dog that was out in the yard messing with dead animals. A very unsavory sweetness.

T - The taste is much better than the smell, but still not great, too sweet and gamey tasting for me. Basically, everything about this beer rubs me wrong.

M - Normal mouthfeel for the style. Medium body, good carbonation, slightly slick finish.

D - Blahhh. None for me. I really don't like it. You might though.

I think this beer is significantly outclassed by Tucher's Bajuvator and Weihenstephaner's Korbinian, both of which tend to be cheaper as well. And don't even mention Aventinus, they aren't in the same league.

ktrillionaire, Jan 01, 2010

blabaer, Oct 26, 2013

jheberle, Jan 18, 2012

Pours a very very deep ruby/brown with a tan head which recedes to a thin lace. Smells of dark fruits, licorice, and a hint of caramel.

Thick and full in body. Dark malts and caramel up front, raisins and dark fruit on the back end with a mild hop presence to balance things out. Lets you get that dark fruit taste without the lingering fruity after taste. Also has some earthy under tones.

Tastes are good and alright but nothing spectacular. I also expect a bit more out of a Doppelbock. This bottle aslo has some age to it though and is almost a year old now, so maybe some of the flavors have died down. Oh well.

jtierney89, Nov 16, 2011

Jlk819, Nov 12, 2012

Pretty disappointed in this beer.Its not a bad beer but desent color of brownish/black.Not much nose on it.Not to malty in your mouth,just a little bit to light.I read somewhere that this was the mother of all dopplebocks...not quite

sprinkle, Mar 27, 2002