Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

11.2 oz brown bottle with a nice colorful albeit kind of homemade looking label with the classic billy goats and a small goat trinket hanging around the neck. Nice touch. Poured fridge cold into a brandy snifter.

Appearance: Deep and dark, occasionally hinting flashes of crimson with a nice tan colored head and sticky, long lasting lace.

Smell: Complex sweetness and roasted malts make you want to keep sniffing away in anticipation of what is to come.

Taste: Oh boy. This is the doppelbock against which all others are measured. Sweet malt, raisins, the most subtle hint of alcohol spice, maybe a touch of toffee and dark chocolate. Absolutely delicious and the aftertaste lingers as a reminder. Additionally, it seems to get better as you sip it and as it warms revealing more complexities of malted goodness.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with beautiful carbonation not too bubbly, expected it to be heavier than it is. Creamy without being syrupy. Feel free to swish it around.

An epic representation of the style and awful nifty that it's available year round. Not overly alcoholic at 6.7% which is good because you will want another. Hop bitterness is barely noticeable and serves well to keep the sweetness in balance. Well done.

Andynator, Dec 16, 2013
4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

In a Fin Du Monde tulip. It's very dark brown with a huge frothy tan head, slowly, but steadily diminishing though. Aroma is not as intense as I thought, but definitely complex and appealing with its chocolate and numerous fruits notes. Now that's malty. This beer is as complex as any other beer. Period. Rich roasty black chocolate, some caramel, lots of plum esters, blue grapes, cherries, pecans, coffee, yum yum, butter notes as well as robust earthiness every couple of sips (sometimes, the malt reminded me of Rogue Hazelnut Brown nectar). The palate is as good as it gets, thick, full, round, velvety. Long aftertaste once it warmed a bit that varies from a sip to the other, once it will be the dark chocolate, the other time it will be the roastiness and next time you'll remember those juicy plums, subtly bitter at times. In my eyes, it's fully worthy of these high ratings. That's precisely the type of beers I adore, a big malty phenomenon with a body to back it up. Only critic I'd adress it is the palate fatigue (or I just want the moment to last forever) I get after just one bottle, maybe the sweetness is too much although I never found it stickingly cloying, I wouldn't have two in a row, hell I'd never deserve two i a row! Glad I've got another one of this rare treat. Thanks to both Erics!

Rastacouere, Dec 06, 2003
4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

I typically favor stouts and bocks and for many years this has been my favorite beer. It's been getting much easier to find the last couple years.

It serves well out of the bottle or out of a glass. Having a light cream head with very little carbonation that gives it a silky mouth feel.

It is richly flavored and a bit sweet or sugary. The with hints of molasses.

jb510, Nov 04, 2013
4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

This is one of my all time favorites.Pours a muddy red color with little head and carbonation.The aroma screams malt with a hint of alchohol.The aroma is backed up by the taste of malt with just a slight bitterness and warming.Makes my mouth happy-I could drink this one all night.I thought it was a lot higher in alchohol then it says so its nice to have one on the lighter side that still smells and tastes like a much "bigger" beer.And the goat around the neck is a nice,classic touch.

lackenhauser, Aug 03, 2003

Jiveturkey75, Oct 20, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

A: As black as tar with extremely dark brown tones. Half an inch of creamy looking head.

S: The malt is what really stands out.

T: Malty and semi-sweet. World class taste.

M: Thick and full bodied. Medium to low carbonation. Very pleasant aftertaste.

O: Hands down one of the best beers in the world. So incredibly well rounded and unique, any time I have the chance to have one I take it.

DaftCaskBC, Jun 02, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Without fail, in my humble opinion, the very definition of beer.

As a doppelbock, you would expect dark, rich, nutty, flavorful experiences, and you'd be right. The richness of this brew blossoms extraordinarily. It is a strong, present contender, so young palates may raise an eyebrow more than once both at first taste and as the taste experience expands.

It's got a toasted, caramel quality to it, that twinge of sugary goodness a tiny but important aspect.

I cannot express how important it is to give this beer it's space and give it time to really flourish in your mouth. Take your time with it and enjoy the particularly fantastic aftertaste.

Without doubt, one of the finest beer experiences I've ever had, hands down. You'll rarely find my house without at least a few bottles of this. We've collected so many plastic goats - hung around the neck of each bottle; "bock" is German for "goat" - that we could start some kind of craft fair!

KDReeves, Aug 16, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Deep brown/red color, with malty, caramel, vanilla and molases smell. Two finger gream colored head, lingered and stuck well. Incredible taste, malty and sweet but balanced with molasses notes, and a somewhat floral taste. Very smooth vanilla caramel finish, but not too sweet. Incredible beer, my new favorite.

stingrayvr6, Mar 27, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with some red hues. Head dissipated quickly, but I probably used to wide a glass (like a goblet).

Smell: Lots of molasses, some dark fruit (cherries, etc), malty.

Taste: Again with the dark fruit and molasses. Slightly sweet with a little tartness. No bitterness. Bready aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Full and rich with relatively mild carbonation.

Overall: Probably one of the top five beers I've had. Outstanding.

sureshot08, Aug 26, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

I am a huge fan of German beers and I have been wanting to try this particular beer...forever! Fortunately it is now available in Charleston.

Poured from a really cool bottle into a pint glass.

A. A rich dark brown with little or no head.

S. Strong bready malt aroma. Sweet molasses or brown sugar. Figs or raisins. A slight chocolate aroma.

T. Toasty bread, chocolate and tofee.

M. Like heaven! Goes down smooth with a rich toffee chocolate after taste.

D. Wow, I will have to break the bank, hide the car keys and drink a 4 pack myself.

A classic beer. The epitome of the style.

MarkSCCOT, Aug 01, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

11.2 oz bottle purchased from LiquorMax in L-Town. I love this beer, but this gonna be my official review. I'll try to be impartial. Served in a tumbler.

Pours a deep, deep brown, almost black with just a bit of light coming through. No head to speak of, lots of bubbles coming up. The goat fell in! The lack of head is the only thing keeping this one from a perfect 5.

Smells a rich velvety malt, wow! What a smell! Herbs come through, spices, smells like black bread, maybe pumpernickel. Smokey and wonderful. My mouth is already watering...

Taste is out of this world! This is probably the most balanced beer I've ever had. Starts off like it's gonna be a bitter beast, but quickly mellows out to smooth grains. Lots of burnt earth tastes, almost unnoticeable hops, very doppelbock-y. This is what I think of when I think dark German beers; this guy doesn't mess around, but it's kind and gentle. Absolutely fantastic, a delicious beer!

The body is medium with perfect carbonation.

Drinkability is perfect, too. A dark beer with plenty of complex flavors, but without the overpowering qualities that prevent many a dark and tasty beer from being consumed with the gusto it deserves. Ayinger has solved that conumdrum with Celebrator; I could drink this at a BBQ, a funeral or when I'm simply thirsty.

I love this beer, one of my all time favorites. It's especially good when we have our Swedish Thanksgivings; compliments the food without filling you up and becoming heavy. Highly recommended.

SamN, Sep 25, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Saw the reviews so I had to try this. WOW!!!!. It cost me $2.20 a bottle, so I only got One to try. The Label itself is enough to justify the purchase. Poured with a huge browny-fluffy head full of large bubbles. Took a second or two to settle down, but kepts its head to the end. Huge nose, superb malty aromas that reminded me of the air outside when the local Brewery back in England were brewing their Stout. Caramel, small hint of dark chocolate, with soft smooth rounded malty flavors that are very morish. Very dark brown colour with some lucidity. Really full-bodied, with almost a rich toffee, syrupy aftertaste that lasts. This is a very good dark beer, with a deserved reputation. I am getting a 6-pack next time, blow the cost !.
AWESOME !!!!

TheLongBeachBum, Sep 23, 2002
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

I can't believe that this is the first time I'm ever having this beer.

Served from a 330ml. bottle with a neat plastic goat charm tied to the neck, at cellar temperature in my Samuel Adams Double bock glass.

A - Medium chestnut in color, pouring with some noticeable viscosity. The head just screams to come forth as it battles against the liquid still falling from the bottle. Once I pull back, the creamy sand-colored takes off for the rim of the glass, superceding it by just a little, then slowly settling and becoming more dense. The amazing, microbubbled head finally drops to a creamy island in the center, along with a thick ring around the glass edge - but after a full 6 minutes or so! Lacing is unfortunately spotty and provides the only (very slight) letdown in light of the amazing head.

S - Rich, warm hearth-baked dark molasses bread. Is there such a thing? Mmm... there should be. Nice, rich well roasted malts. The light sprinkling of hops that is (barely) noticeable adds a clean freshness that also plays off of the very subtle alcohol. Yummy.

T - "Damn." That was precisely the first word out of my mouth after completing one sip and swallow. Starts off with a candy-sweet maltiness that is quickly overtaken by a slightly yeasty-tart toastiness in the middle. I almost get a nuance of smoke in here as well... As it hits the back of the tongue, the subtle hops lend their bitterness to a drying finish. Once down, the aftertaste is bready, sweet and slightly dry. Fantastically delicious.

M - Definitely qualifies as one of the the top 5 best mouthfeels I've ever had in a beer. Soft like velvet on the way in. Creamy and fulfilling in the mouth, turning into seafoam as it moves around. The swallow is gradual, like liquid taking its time down a very slight grade. An absolute pleasure.

D - Well, all my friend Yelterdow's championing of this beer was definitely in the right place. This is an amazing Dopplebock. 'Nuff said. Less typing. More sipping. This beer is the real deal.

EPseja, Jan 31, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Looks almost black in a bar setting, but shows a dark ruby red color when held up to a light. Slight head and semi creamy look.

Smell is delightful. Full of rich malt with a chocolate/coffee undertone.

Taste is very balanced. The subtle flavors of chocolate, coffee, and hops do not overpower any single flavor. Smooth, and vibrant.

I love this doppelbock on draught, however I prefer this wonderful beer form a bottle.

doppelbockrob, Aug 01, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Fabulous. Deep chestnut with a small creamy beige head. It is a nice combo of roastiness, smokiness, and nuttiness with low carbonation and nice lagery characteristics. Ultra-smooth yet complex. Very drinkable. Not really like any other doublebock that I have had - less body and caramel, more nutty and that little smokiness. A classic.

waughbrew, Apr 18, 2004
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

This is what a Doppel should be. Beutifull red-black color with a solid tan head. Nice malt flavor with slight hops, and a hint of fruitiness. Thick beer, leaves a syrupy mouthfeel, and combined with a fair alcohol content reassures you that you made a wise choice. Good, but not great head retention and nice lacing. Runs almost $20 a sixer here, but is worth every penny. Also saved me the hassel of buying Christmas orniments...just emptied out my mason jar full of goats. Good times.

Sixpack595, Jan 01, 2003
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

A- Nearly black, slight amber tinge when held to a light. One finger head faded slowly to a wisp.

S- Sweet maltly aroma with a faint earthy hop pressence.

T- Fantastic! Wonderfully complex malt profile but not so complex as to force you to "think" about this beer if you'd rather just sit back and enjoy. Great sweetness held in check perfectly by just the right amount of spicy hops.

M- Smooth as silk, very full boddied.

D- The $12 a 4 pack is the only obstacle here, If only I had a better paying job...

For me, personally, It just doesn't get any better... for now.

Pauly2X, Nov 27, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

I truly regret that I only had one bottle to experience. Everything positive that I read about this beer was more than true. This is the most exceptional Doppelbock I have ever experienced. The flavor and aroma from this Beer is beyond description, suffice it to say it is as near to perfection as I have tasted.

Bocks and Dark Beers are my favorites and this is the best Dark Beer that I have had to date. Thanks to my friend John who brought this one back from a trip. I will be purchasing Celebrator on my next trip to Pensacola.

I stopped by Four Winds in Pensacola Fl and bought all that they had on the shelf.

If I had to spend the rest of my life with only one Beer, this is the Beer for me. That being said, I will continue searching for a better Beer, as it is really all about the search for perfection...

K7M, Jan 22, 2009

Celebrator Doppelbock
The mocha head had a toffieish malt flavor, it came on strong and stayed their for a
while.
Nice strong body a little oily and almost thick with a bite of spices and an almost warming effect.
The aftertaste was verry dry with a big malty taste

Kwak, Nov 12, 2002
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

330ml bottle poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Very, very dark brown with fiery hue. Dark biege head recedes to a ring and leaves a little lacing.

Aroma: Smoky, cheesy, wet chocolaty malt. Different and intense, but typical of darker offerings from this outstanding brewery.

Taste: As in the aroma: smokiness, cheese, wet chocolate malts, but also with a good vinous character and a christmasy spiced flavour, cinnamon and perhaps nutmeg or allspice, with a delicate treacle and honey sweetness. All of this balanced with just a touch of hop, enough to round it out but to keep this essentially a malt bomb. Absolutely delightful. 6.7% abv is not particularly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, incredibly smooth. Low carbonation.

Drinkability: Delicious and moreish. One of the world's best beers from one of the world's best breweries.

lumikuuro, Apr 13, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

WOW! I can't believe I have never had one of these before

11.2oz brown bottle. poured a deeep brown with copper hues to it. nice fluffy 2 finger cream head with a tint of brown, that simmered down to a wispy lace.

smell is so inviting. sweet malts, roasted malts, a touch of hops, caramel notes to it as well.

taste: Wow. deeelicious. kinda toasty tasting (if i can say that) a bit of bread flavor also. i almost taste some fruits, like dates or figs. just really good

very smooth. feels almost chewy. light carbonation.

This is one (sorry ahead of time for cursing) f*cking delicious beer. I wish I could buy a case of this stuff. I have been mainly into craft beers. Im starting to get into dopples after having an aventinus and now this. WoW. Schroeder's here I come!!

Cheers

Newmerator, Jun 19, 2009
4.98/5  rDev +14.7%

Ayinger Celebrator's dark tone and steadfast opacity give it the intimidating appearance of a guard dog, or maybe one of those angry, long-horned rams on its label in mating season. This is slightly ironic considering how its violet and ruby highlights are gorgeous and inviting. Its head, while thin, looks harder than marble stone (and is coloured like it too).

It smells like someone took the world's finest tawny port and improved it exponentially. The sweet, fruity notes of plum and grape are gracefully tempered, somewhat offset by a tremendously rich maltiness. This 'toast and jam' combination would make a memorable breakfast; even the best noses are bound to miss a feature or two. It's that layered.

I don't think you could find a better, more exemplary tasting doppelbock than Celebrator. The poised sweetness of a fig and prune compote is mushed into the taste of heavily browned bread crusts, which turn into a sooty, moderately bitter dark chocolate note on the finish. If ever a beer deserved a perfect score for flavour, truly, Celebrator is it.

There's rich - and then there's Bill Gates rich. This doppelbock is Bill Gates rich. Profound, full-bodied, uncompromising maltiness becomes heavily intimate with all parts of the palate, and refuses to go away even in the aftertaste. To suggest caramel is grossly overstating the quantity of sweetness, and downplaying the rich, luscious quality of it.

If you want to learn about German brewing, throw out the books and just stock up on Celebrator. Few examples pack as much punch per square sip or capture so elegantly the style's rich, nectarous qualities. Although the expression is used quite commonly, few things are actually "mouth-watering" - this is. Trust me, I feel myself drooling.

Brewers will make a lot of claims about the superiority of their beer on labels. Typically, these should be taken with a heaping tablespoon of salt. However, for Ayinger to call Celebrator "the finest double bock beer" is no exaggeration. It is unequivocally, undeniably the golden standard of the style; any attempts to replicate it or even to honor it only serve to advertise that fact and endorse the superiority of its brand.

biegaman, Apr 24, 2011
4.98/5  rDev +14.7%

Wow what can I say about this beer. It pours black witha tan creamy head that stayed throughout. Looks very much like a stout. Smells very very malty with a strong choclate flavor. The taste is strong and heavy. Very heavy in the malt, strong choclate flavor. The heavy flavors kick you in the mouth. Deffently a sipping beer. Overall a fantastic beer. A must have.

vette2006c5r, Oct 23, 2010

A classic of it's style. Deep and rich in colour. Hints of chocolate & roasted oates. A dry, warm finish, this beer is simply the perfect cold weather beer. I wouldn't go through a winter without it.

Popsinc, Nov 15, 2002