Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
michaelfcasey

01-26-2014 21:04:56 | More by michaelfcasey
trentbrown89

02-21-2014 06:18:23 | More by trentbrown89
eph1291

Iowa

07-05-2013 17:15:28 | More by eph1291
gromis

This is my first dopplebock, so I'm not really familiar with the style.

On first taste, the intense malt flavor shines through, which I really liked. There is a bitterness in the fade that reminds me of toasted caramel. This one sort of reminds me of a semi-stout; and I'm not too fond of that style, as I think they are too bitter. Being my first dopplebock, I can't tell if this (bitterness) is indicative of the style or not.

01-04-2010 04:32:28 | More by gromis

04-20-2014 20:45:38 | More by Kyrojack
SneakyPotato

Utah

3.03/5  rDev -30.2%

A- Pleasing to look at, and the head was beautiful while it lasted, which wasn't long. It did retain a small froth on the top, all the way to the end. I was very pleased with this. As the head subsided, there were small white "floaties", which I haven't seen in other beers. My glass was clean.

S- I was not really expecting how sweet and light this beer smells when it's compared to it's looks. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read somebody else's review, but it definitely smells like raisins and malt, with a slight alcohol smell on the nose.

T- Initial taste is sweet malt and raisin, followed by a dry yet smooth middle, finished by a slight alcohol taste on the tongue. After my pint was half finished, the initial flavors seemed to have subsided and all that was really present was the bitterness, but not the roasted malt kind.

M- This beer definitely coats your mouth, but I personally don't really like the flavor that it leaves. Its reminiscent of drinking cold medicine and having that taste in your mouth afterwards. It's not a heavy beer at all, despite what some people say.

O- I gave this beer a fair review, and I can definitely say there's a lot of good about it. I just recognize that it really isn't my cup of tea (or beer). It was definitely worth a try though, and I would recommend it heartily to people that don't enjoy lighter beers and dislike the charred coffee taste of stouts and lagers. It's sweeter and not as harsh as some of the stouts that I enjoy, but I wasn't much of a fan of the alcohol on the nose and palate. I feel like it needed more body and more complex flavors to compliment the alcohol finish.

01-25-2014 01:29:13 | More by SneakyPotato
MrVonzipper

3.05/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a dark cola brown with a short bubbly tan head.

Nose is very mild and subdued. Watery dark fruit. Raisin. Plum. Prunes.

Flavor is similar to the nose but a little better. Again mild watered down dark fruit. Plum, prune, figs and raisin. Some dark euro malt.

Mouth is light bodied with med+ creamy carb.

Overall this is a little bit of a disappointment after not having one in about 6-7 years. I remember it being better. I think my palate is just better trained now. Not a bad beer by any means. Easy to drink. Just nothing special.

07-16-2012 09:40:19 | More by MrVonzipper
Buildscharacter

Georgia

3.08/5  rDev -29%

I was actually dissapointed in this brew. I figured that I would be a shoe in for someone that would enjoy a good doppelbock, but nope.. wasn't for me.

I really liked the way it looked int he glass with it's tall head and dark color. There's even a nice red hue when you hold it up to the light. Then I smelled it. It smells bitterish kind of like a beligum beer, but not really. I'm terrible at explaining scents, it just smelled off. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

Anyway, so I tasted the little thing :)

Little sour, little bitter. Malty, taste of oats and earth. Spicy aftertaste, warming.

I wasn't a fan, but I'm the vast majority, so who knows. Give it a shot.
I'll have to try another bottle in hopes that it'll be a little better.

06-18-2005 20:29:58 | More by Buildscharacter
Boilermaker88

3.1/5  rDev -28.6%

Picked this up based on my goal of trying all 50 Top Beers. Not sure what all the fuss is about....
Poured a dark-cherry tinged, black color with a quick-fading tan head.
Smell was fruity sweet - raisins, dates, plums - over a big malt base. Also some caramel toffee and maybe a hint of coffee.
Taste was complex. Again, sweet with plums, raisins, etc and toffee notes over a malt base. Alcohol bite in the finish but not bad. Still, I was expecting something more that would really get me excited about the beer. It never happened.
Feel was syrupy, slick and on the heavy side of medium-bodied.
For drinkability, I can't say I'd be searching for this beer again soon. It didn't appeal to my palate. Not sure what all the hype and high marks are for, but then that means I won't be taking any away from those who enjoy it.

08-10-2003 23:20:01 | More by Boilermaker88
Ineedabeerhere

Rhode Island

3.15/5  rDev -27.4%

I had this the other night. With the great reviews, I was expecting a bit more, but in general I'm not a huge fan of the style.

This beer had a good appearance but the aroma and taste were far too malty for me. This beer tasted sweet and I couldn't detect any other flavors (aside from molasses) that were doing much for me. The drinkability was average, but honestly I would have rated it lower probably because I was getting too much sweetness... and none of the creamy or smoothness that you might expect.

I suppose that I could appreciate how someone would like this, but its not one that I would go for. Its a shame because I went in expecting much more. I rather go for a substantial brown ale or porter in the same ABV range.

10-25-2008 00:04:00 | More by Ineedabeerhere
Murrhey

Montana

3.18/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into a mug. Reviewed live.

A- Pours a thin off-white head with little retention. Some ring of lacing. Mahogany color with nice clarity.

S- Dark grains and malts. Actually a very subtle smell. Hard to pick up on it.

T- Malts and dark fruits. Again, subtle. Can taste a bit of the booze though.

M- Medium thickness with a nice body and clean finish.

O- Honestly, I was expecting more from this beer.

03-31-2012 04:21:01 | More by Murrhey

06-02-2013 22:28:52 | More by maxwelldeux
Reiksguard

Rhode Island

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured out of a bottle into a glass for tasting.

As soon as I cracked open the cap, I thought I was in love with this beer. Lots os malt and dark fruit aromas. The taste was just as exceptional with a little warmth from the alcohol. However, that is when it started to fall apart. The beer started to develop almost a bitter metalic aftertaste that continued for an extended period of time. It certainly did not finish clean. Also, the mouthfeel was a little thin.

Given everyone else's positive review, I will probably try the beer again in case I got a bad bottle, but the poor after taste was a big turn off.

02-13-2009 01:15:56 | More by Reiksguard

05-01-2013 19:35:23 | More by His_Royal_Hoppiness
battlekow

Wisconsin

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

Celebrator looks awesome. It's a thick brown with a huge tan head that soon fades to a thin, even layer of bubbles. Plus--the necklace! How many beers are classy enough to have a necklace?

The primary scent is like baby food. I think it's a combination of caramel and dark fruits/anise, but to me it comes off as candied carrots. I'm not a fan of candied carrots.

The taste, fortunately, gets it better; the caramel and anise are more distinct. There's a little nuttiness, and it finishes with a very pleasant roasted flavor. I'm really not getting much chocolate.

Celebrator was okay, but honestly, this seems more like a weird nut brown ale than a doppelbock lager.

10-25-2005 20:45:39 | More by battlekow