Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,674 | Reviews: 2,275

Appearance: Dark Chestnut with small head that dissipates quickly

Aroma: Malty, roasted grain, coffee

Taste: Malty, fruity, with bitter finish; decent, but not as good as Paulanor Salvator or Andechs Doppelbock

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

A brown amber in body, off white rocky head, a bit frothy. Smells of bread and malt. At first it is all malt, but not overpoweringly sweet and then the disapointing part, it turined like a citrus sour. I hope it was just the bottle that I poured from and not representative fo the beer, because I got a real grapefruit bitterness in the end that I cannot believe is desired. May try again due to reputation. But this was not good.

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass. Pours a dark tawny brown with some ruby highlights at the edges. A massive beige head billows out. Great retention; left lost of sticky lace in its wake. Scents of plums, currants, wood, booze, and some roasted malts. Nice.

The body on this is much thinner than I'd like. Carbonation level is low. This feels flat and unimpressive. The flavors are malty in character. Some roasted malts at the onset, but then this gives way to a dark fruity flavor, and finishes with some alcohol heat. All in all, I did not care for this beer. I know it's one of the top 100 beers, but I have had better of the style for sure. Won't have this again most likely.

This is my first dopplebock, so I'm not really familiar with the style.

On first taste, the intense malt flavor shines through, which I really liked. There is a bitterness in the fade that reminds me of toasted caramel. This one sort of reminds me of a semi-stout; and I'm not too fond of that style, as I think they are too bitter. Being my first dopplebock, I can't tell if this (bitterness) is indicative of the style or not.

I was actually dissapointed in this brew. I figured that I would be a shoe in for someone that would enjoy a good doppelbock, but nope.. wasn't for me.

I really liked the way it looked int he glass with it's tall head and dark color. There's even a nice red hue when you hold it up to the light. Then I smelled it. It smells bitterish kind of like a beligum beer, but not really. I'm terrible at explaining scents, it just smelled off. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

Anyway, so I tasted the little thing :)

Little sour, little bitter. Malty, taste of oats and earth. Spicy aftertaste, warming.

I wasn't a fan, but I'm the vast majority, so who knows. Give it a shot.
I'll have to try another bottle in hopes that it'll be a little better.

Bottle poured into a glass

A: A very dark brew with a ruby hue when held to the light. A white-ish head with moderate retention and good lacing.

S: Malts but with a very prominent maple syrup aroma. Pretty basic, no fruity notes.

T: The malty sweetness is a bit overbearing, almost cloying.

M: Full-bodied. Moderate-low carbonation. Cloying.

Notes: Not my favorite beer. I do feel a bit awkward rating a beer so differently from everyone else. I looked at the brothers' review and I see that I noticed similar flavors as them. But the overbearingness of the sweetness really takes away from this beer. I will save the rest of the brews and re-try them after having experienced some other dopplebocks.

3.03/5  rDev -30.2%

A- Pleasing to look at, and the head was beautiful while it lasted, which wasn't long. It did retain a small froth on the top, all the way to the end. I was very pleased with this. As the head subsided, there were small white "floaties", which I haven't seen in other beers. My glass was clean.

S- I was not really expecting how sweet and light this beer smells when it's compared to it's looks. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read somebody else's review, but it definitely smells like raisins and malt, with a slight alcohol smell on the nose.

T- Initial taste is sweet malt and raisin, followed by a dry yet smooth middle, finished by a slight alcohol taste on the tongue. After my pint was half finished, the initial flavors seemed to have subsided and all that was really present was the bitterness, but not the roasted malt kind.

M- This beer definitely coats your mouth, but I personally don't really like the flavor that it leaves. Its reminiscent of drinking cold medicine and having that taste in your mouth afterwards. It's not a heavy beer at all, despite what some people say.

O- I gave this beer a fair review, and I can definitely say there's a lot of good about it. I just recognize that it really isn't my cup of tea (or beer). It was definitely worth a try though, and I would recommend it heartily to people that don't enjoy lighter beers and dislike the charred coffee taste of stouts and lagers. It's sweeter and not as harsh as some of the stouts that I enjoy, but I wasn't much of a fan of the alcohol on the nose and palate. I feel like it needed more body and more complex flavors to compliment the alcohol finish.

3.04/5  rDev -30%

Pours a dark cola brown with a short bubbly tan head.

Nose is very mild and subdued. Watery dark fruit. Raisin. Plum. Prunes.

Flavor is similar to the nose but a little better. Again mild watered down dark fruit. Plum, prune, figs and raisin. Some dark euro malt.

Mouth is light bodied with med+ creamy carb.

Overall this is a little bit of a disappointment after not having one in about 6-7 years. I remember it being better. I think my palate is just better trained now. Not a bad beer by any means. Easy to drink. Just nothing special.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.