Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, dark brown with a short light tan head that lingers leaving good lacing, clear

S: malt, grain, dark bread, caramel, coffee, toasted grain

T: huge malt flavor, dark bread, toast, coffee

M: thicker with good carbonation, filling

O: This beer is hugely robust with excellent flavor. The focus is totally on the malt with only a slight hop bitterness.

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Can you say molasses?

Had this beer while sampling several bocks. Of all of the bocks we tried, this was my favorite.

I tend to stay away from sweeter beers and bocks typically have that sweetness. This had a wonderfully bittersweet molasses aroma and flavor.

Respectable appearance-much darker than most bocks.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I fell in love with this one as soon as I looked at it. The ram figurine, the packaging, the fact it is an Ayinger, whose Dunkel I am a total homer for...all the elements lined up. And I have wanted to try a big-time German doppelbock forever. Side poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - As previously mentioned, the packaging is so cool on this one. I added the figurine to my brewerania collection, including bottle caps and rare labels. This beer hasa magnificent presentation. Dark, dark brown, almost black pour with a nice one finger head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing. Doesn't sound like much until you've seen it.

Smell - Sweet malts, rich dark fruit, molasses, and did I mention sweetness? If a beer can smell rich, this one does.

Taste - Oh Lord Jesus its' a fire. This is one of the most spectacular tasting beers I have ever had. Rich and creamy sweet malts wash the palate, with some nutty notes in there as well. Dark fruits round out the spectacularly balanced taste. My wife said it tasted like beer and wine had a kid together. I said it tastes like proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Mouthfeel - The most incredible part of the beer. Washes down so smooth and creamy, almost like cream soda or a root beer float or something. Leaves you wanting to drink more, so smooth. By far the best aspect of an incredible beer.

Overall - Seriously, this beer is in contention for the best I've ever had. This blew my hair back for sure, even my wife liked it, and she typically hates all beers. I'd buy this by the gallon if I could get it (and afford it). Unbelievable.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

330mL bottle poured into SA Perfect Pint glass. No dating info to be found.

A - Some hissing on the pop of the cap. The tan head fizzled out just as quickly as it wasformed. This one looks like coke in color and head behavior. What gives? I thought bocks were supposed to have rich, fluffy heads that stuck around for the entirety. No lacing at all. Maybe there is something wrong with my bottle?

S - Sweet caramel and considerable fruit notes. Cherry, fig, and boisenberry all come to mind. A little bit savory. Roasted barley and nuts counteract the sweeter components. Not bad.

T - Deliciously malty on the start with roasted grain, sweet toffee, and bitter molasses. Cream soda flavor follows. The finish is clean with some grain and mild sweetness.

M - Smooth feel with light carbonation.

O - I was very disappointed by the appearance. The pour yielded some of the quickest dying head I have ever seen with no lacing. Luckily, it was all uphill from there. Beautiful display of malts in the aroma and flavor. I can imagine drinking this stuff out of a large dimpled mug at Oktoberfest. Good stuff.