Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Nice looking 1 inch fluffy cream head and a beautiful dark black body. Aroma is sweet with heavy malt presence. The taste is pretty sweet and the alcohol hits midstream. Doesn't finish as crisp as I normally like on Bocks, but nonetheless, very flavorful. I know this is in the "Top Ten", but I honestly would choose other Double Bocks over this one. This is my second bottle of this and I had the same feeling each time.

ALESwhatCURESya, Jun 28, 2004
4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

Presentation: 11.2 oz. bottle equipt with toy trinket around the neck. The beer is poured into the trademark Celebrator glass.

Appearance: Dark burgandy in color, the beer pours with a beautiful tan head that holds its retention until well after the beer is gone.

Smell: Molasses mingled with dark malts and a rather leafy hop character. Hops provide the beer with a nice bitterness.

Taste: Exceptionally creamy and smooth. Bready malts with elements of fruit and coffee. The finish is rather sweet and lingering.

Overall: If you can find a Doppelbock that beats this one, let me know. This is a simply amazing brew to say the very least. World-class.

TagoMago, Jun 27, 2004
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Deep, dark, malted, powerful, and very balanced. This is quite a beer.

It looks mostly like plain darkness. Small amounts of red and brown poke through at times. There's a small head that lasts well. It left a really nice lace web of lace.

There's a touch of carmel on top of a lot of dark and hefty malts. The mouthfeel is very solid and pleasing, and it's still easy to drink. It comes through strong and stays that way, but the strength does not detract. It's good in all ways.

watermelonman, Jun 24, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours extremely dark but crystal clear -- a red so dark that it is almost purple. Big stiff dark head slowly fades to leave lace all over the glass. The nose is all caramel and malt but without any candy sweetness. Full, velvety mouthfeel with just enough carbonation to make it rich instead of heavy. The flavor is all malt: caramel notes and just a hint of roastiness and a smooth, rounded sweetness. Does not cut you in the back of the throat like some doppelbocks -- very smooth as it goes down. Perfectly balanced bitterness in the finish to cut the sweetness and prevent it from being cloying. Too filling to be a "regular", but very close to being heaven in a bottle.

paulie, Jun 24, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Very dark almost opaque prune color with a large tan head and nice lacing on the glass. Roasted/maple, and caramel malt aroma with sweet taste very much mirroring the aroma, except there was some alcohol warming presense as the beer went down. Very creamy and smooth. My favorite doppelbock.

egajdzis, Jun 13, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance: Deep mahogany with a mottled tan/off-white head. The head is thick and rocky, but has only fair retention and very little lacing. The carbonation appears fine and mild.

Smell: Somewhat mild. Starts with a malty combo of dark fruit, molasses and caramel. Hints of cardboard. Some flowery/apple yeast esters.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A nice blend of sweet and smoke, with strong malt, burnt sugar, caramel and cola flavors, although it's not nearly as sweet as I might have expected. The finish is dry and bitter with hints of tobacco smoke. A sweetness lingers long into the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is surprisingly macro, with sharp carbonation and a fairly light body.

Drinkability: Good; it's flavorful, pleasant and fairly light bodied, especially for a 6.7% ABV brew.

Tasty, but not exceptional or unique. I wouldn't refuse another, but I wouldn't seek one out, either.

WetCoaster, Jun 13, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance: Dark Brown, almost black. Tannish dark tan head with small bubbles assisting with the decent retention.

Aroma: Front notes of coffee. Caramel roasty almonds make their presence known as well. Very very pleasant aroma.

Taste: Heavy malt up front. The alcohol content is noted in the flavors. Mouthfeel isn't as full as I expected from the smell. Nutty. Taste is a bit mocha-ish.

Notes: Expensively enjoyable beer.

beerinator, Jun 11, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: Looks great, a dark sort of cola brown with a long lasting head.

Smell: Has an easily detectable aroma, but it was mostly alcohol, with some spices to me.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Sweet and malty flavor with a little detectable alcohol. Doesn't finish much different than it starts. Low carbonation, but medium mouthfeel. Some spices and sweetness are there but particular flavors are difficult to pick out.

Notes: My first doppelbock.

Soybomb, May 30, 2004
4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

I had my very first dopplebock a couple of days ago and was impressed: I had my second one today and was completely blown away.
When I first poured this into the glass it had a typical brown to dark brown body with an immensely dense light brown that sticks around to the very end. But when I held this up to the light it was actually deep rich mahogany/garnet color, beautiful.
The smell was sweet dark fruits and roasted malts; molasses and brown sugar were also very prevalent.
Pretty huge taste of sweet malts to start that give way to a roasted flavor, and then there's actually some bitterness from the hops.
Velvety smooth mouthfeel that just rolls around my mouth with a silky creaminess that's just enticing me to take another sip.
Highly drinkable, great from pour to last drop and leaves me wanting more and after that, a little more.

irishmoss, May 21, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Tried this for the first time tonight after eyeing this beer for months. The store around the corner from me has this stocked all the time, and I have always been curious about this beer. After seeing it in the BA top 50, I thought it was high time to try this beer.

Poured a dark hazelnut brown with a nice two-fingered pillowed head. This head was extraordinary, but soon dissapated, leaving traces along the glass as I drank.

The smell ofthis beer is very strong to me, and the initial taste provided some fruit, licorice, and nutty flavors, with a bite, followed by a strong alcohol aftertaste. This beer got more mellow as I drank it. This is a big beer. I have only had one or two dopplebocks in the last few years, so I really don't know how to intelligently review this. Every review I have read has stated that this is a good beer, and I would agree. A great beer with lots of flavor, though I would be hard pressed to drink more than a few in a sitting.

andyo, May 12, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

This doppelbock pours darker than any of its famous counterparts (Paulaner Salvator, Bell's Consecrator, etc...). It's color is a deep tan with a slight hint of burgandy, although the deep tan obscures most of that shade until the bottom of the glass. There is little head; however, there are creamy hints at the top of the glass. The smell is sweet malt with a little bit of chocolate/fruit sugar. Upon first taste, the beer seems exceptionally smooth and consistent despite having a nice thickness and depth. The drinkability is outstanding considering the depth, actually, I had two of these without feeling cottonmouthed. This beer is an excellent doppelbock, I'm left wondering if it can be topped
I also had a glass of it on tap at Tornado's in San Fran.

chugamugofsud, May 11, 2004
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Big old 3-finger tan head on this one. The body is a very dark, basically opaque brown. Maybe a touch, and I mean a touch, lighter than the darker stouts. The head is creamy and lasts a while and laces well.

The smell is not quite as strong as I was expecting. It is a nice aroma of sweet toasted malt. With another whiff I find it fruity as well.

The taste is lively, but subtle. Fruity with a roasted (almost but not quite stout) taste.

The mouthfeel is heavy, but in a good way. A very warming finish, almost not appropriate for late spring in the midwest, but good as the night is getting later. Nice balanced carbonation.

This is one that gets down pretty easy, but may be too heavy for more than, say, two of these. Very drinkable as dopplebocks go.

I think this is the top of the BA top 50 I've had. Not quite my favorite but very worthy of a good position in my top 50.

DPMomutant, May 10, 2004
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

This double bock is colored a deep cola-like brown which borders on a nearly opaque black. Its head is thin, yet consistent and with good retention. A thick malty-sweet aroma blossoms from the top, reminiscent of a porter or stout. However, unlike a porter or stout, this beer has a slimmer body, at once refreshing and filling. The taste hints at smoke and brazil nuts (or is it coffee?), and is, in a word, deep. As for its drinkability, I could see myself enjoying one or two of these, but I find it hard to picture someone putting down more than a few bottles in an evening.

JamesBerry, May 06, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

poured out basically black, with a decent head.
smelled great, fruity, malty a slight hint of some spice but quite muted
taste was just outstanding, smooth sweetness that lingered very well on the tongue with a malty backdrop and some fruit came out in the middle.
mouthfeel was very nice some fizz but very smooth and somewhat creamy.
very drinkable in my opinion. I would definitely cough up the 9 bucks for a 4 pack again

kegerator, May 06, 2004
4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Big, tan, dense, thick, doughy head. A few spots of lacing. Dark, dark brown beer. Toffee highlights. Major molasses in the nose. Sweet toffee. Front is very sweet: thick molasses. Thick, buttery, malty middle; chocolate toffee syrup. Finish sours, with bitter chocolate. This is a sweet, thick, choco/molasses syrupy brew. It's almost too much, but delicious nonetheless.

kbub6f, May 02, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -19.8%

A nice looking bottle complete with a Christmas ornament if the season is right and your tree underdecorated. Pours a nice thick looking very dark brown--reddish when held up to light, with a nice tan head. A rich aroma of fruit (plums, prunes?), and spice. Tastes a bit of coffee and again has some fruit tones (raisons, prunes??) with some bitter hops in the finsih. Sweet and malty. Not a particularly smooth beer and a bit thin in the mouth. An alright beer, although I was a bit disappointed by it--I like Salvator very much and was expecting to really enjoy this as well, and while its still pretty good, I was not blown away.

tar, Apr 27, 2004
4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

An absolutely amazing doppelbock. Actually an amazing beer of any style. Pours a very deep and dark color-I guess mahogany would be the descriptor. Nearly opaque. Nice brown head stays present all the way done. Smells great. Tastes malty, sweet. Sweetness is not overwhelming. There is something dancing on the taste buds? Very pleasurable.

BadBadger, Apr 24, 2004
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Even though I have seen this on the shelf and knew it was highly rated on the site, I hesitated to buy the beer, because of the dumb plastic goat hung around the bottles. That was a bad decision.

The beer pours a very dark, mahogany color with a tannish head that is very long lasting. There is some substantial lacing all the way down the glass. The aroma is great with a big malty smell and some hints of caramel and herbs.

The taste is the thing here, though. It is huge flavor of malt with a real sweetness hidden in it. There is also a hit of hops and yeast and an alcohol kick at the end.

This is incredible in the mouth. It is so creamy and smooth but it has a carbonated bubble to it as well. It is almost thick. I think that this may be the best German beer that I've ever had in a bottle. It is certainly the best Doppelbock.

I've actually come to like the little goat toy.

rdrummer, Apr 23, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

The pour was deep mahogany/red with a creamy beige one and one half inch head. The head quickly dissapated to a beige lace that coated the top of the beer throughout the drink.

The smell was very fruity and sweet. It had very strong raisin and fig quality.

The taste only carried the smell to the mouth, it was just the same. I really liked the fact that even though it was sweet, it didn't linger in the mouth too long.

Even with the fact that it was heavy as a ton of bricks, it was quite tasty and refreshing. I will try to find this beer again!

coasterfreak75, Apr 22, 2004
4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a deep chocolatey brown, almost black, wth a nice, creamy eggshell white head. Lacing is incredible. Smell is exquisite-lots of cherry, chocolate, toffee, coffee, and smoky richness. Taste is smooth, easy and surprisingly light for a doppelbock. I had this in a wide mouthed glass, I highly recommend this type of glass to fully appreciate the aroma and bouquet (can you say that about a beer?). Seriously, the smell of this beer is out of this world. Taste is top notch. I love this beer, and can't believe I haven't tried it before, I guess I was afraid of a dark German beer. Don't fear the doppelbock . . . .

Trentonator, Apr 22, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Hmm, I don't think I was as bowled over as some by this one, but it certainly wasn't awful or anything. Had at Anam Cara, served in lovely Celebrator glass. Pour was opaque dark amber, I found the aroma to come across as slightly roasted, and slightly plumey. Taste is a bit lean and smooth, I thought, mostly of roasted malt and a bit of alcohol hinting around. I will have to try this again.

PatandDavid, Apr 20, 2004
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Fabulous. Deep chestnut with a small creamy beige head. It is a nice combo of roastiness, smokiness, and nuttiness with low carbonation and nice lagery characteristics. Ultra-smooth yet complex. Very drinkable. Not really like any other doublebock that I have had - less body and caramel, more nutty and that little smokiness. A classic.

waughbrew, Apr 18, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours pure black, closer inspection reveals some nice ruby tint in the light. White head settle down quickly. Smells very sweet and malty, with some nutty fruit aroma coming to the front. Malt overpowers this brew with sharp and strong coffee and fruit taste. The finish is much smoother, with some smoky toastiness I really liked. Tasted almost completely flat and on the tongue - no carbonation - but intense flavor kept thinness away and richness provided ample fullness. The smokiness melts away for a smooth aftertaste that invites more. Excellent.

BrewMan82, Apr 17, 2004
3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

The doppelbock poured a deep ruby to brownish hue, on the darker end of the ruby scale. An initial thin caramel, head existed that floated into disorganization rather quickly, so there was little to no retention. Up front date and caramel notes existed, with a bit of licorice or treacle off to the side, along with the present tone of malt. On first taste, the malt overpowers immediately, but not negatively. This is followed by some roasted characters, not unexpected. This had a creamy mouth feel with burnt umber tinges left as echoes. There is a pleasant amount of alcohol, but an amount that would not prevent this from being a session ale.

Celebrator holds a particular fondness in my heart for two reasons-

1. Shortly after discovering home brewing in spring of 1993, I went on a beer-buying excursion in Boston and this was one of the libations that I purchased, no doubt swayed by the plastic goat.

2. On a business trip to Seattle, I discovered Celebrator on draught at the Pike Pub and Brewery. Needless to say, I stumbled home after that.

Truh, Apr 15, 2004

Poured out of the 12 oz. bottle with a cool little goat pendant hanging on the neck into a 16 oz goblet. Dark brown opaque dense body with ruby red highlights when held up against the light. Nice two inch tall khaki colored head formed after pouring, but soon dissipated to a thin soapy ring of bubbles. Lacing around the glass is relatively moderate. Aroma was that of plums, raisins, and hazelnuts. Taste was vinous and fruity with notes of sweet molasses, caramel, dark fruits, roasted nuts, and spices. There were also some burnt smoky flavors evident. Creamy mouthfeel is smooth like satin. The aftertaste was dry and the only place where the hops stepped out. Nice find at Ziggy’s in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

rajendra82, Apr 13, 2004