Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,307 | Hads: 6,009
4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Like a substantial winter warmer and very drinkable; lovely beer.

11.2 oz bottle; blood brown - almost ruby; 2-3 finger creamy brown head. Aroma of spice, molasses, caramel, burnt sugar, malt notes, licorice, coffee liqueur. Flavors of licorice, alcohol, spices, coffee, caramel, root, earth, toffee, malt. Yummy. Oat & wheat flavor on the backside. Silky carbonation coats the palate, very pleasant throughout.

Line a few up and I will enjoy every drop.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

A- Deep rich dark roasted coffee look with plenty of rich tan head that fills the top of the glass and sticks around for quite a bit.

S- Malty with a hop back round. Well balanced aroma.

T- nutty malt with a good balance of hops to even out the sweetness. Good coffee notes and just a hint of chocolate.

M- Smooth with a bit less carbonation then an ale but more then a stout. No heat on this one at all even though it is 6.7 abv.

D- Great beer if you can find it in your local shop. If not head for Munich!

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

Classic doppelbock, deep ruby red in color with a tall creamy head that dissipates into a ring of bubbles. The aroma is intoxicating with very dark fruits such as raisin, plum, and cherry there is also some roastyness and faint earthy hops. The flavor contains roasty malt sweetness with dark fruits balanced with some mild earthy hop flavor. The mouthfeel is creamy with low carbonation. There is a mild fruity aftertaste but not unpleasant. A very drinkable beer and a classic altogether.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

bottle from 4 pack with the little plastic icon

poured into sam adams' new pint glass

A- Dark brown, nearly black with red/auburn hues in light. Half finger of head recedes quickly to minimal head retention, with creamy brown color.

S- Molasses, maltose/malt sugars, dried fruit (persimmon?) Upon exhaling, alcohol leaves nasal passages with a slight burn reminiscient of hot spices/chiles.

T- Malt sweetness is immediate, almost too sweet at first but is balanced by hop bitterness in the finish that is just enough. Scorched caramel, coffee, slighty bready flavors take a backup role but are present. Well balanced.

M- ridiculously smooth- silken on the tongue, carbonation hits quickly, but becomes mild as it finishes quickly and lifts away the malt sweetness, preventing it from being overpowering.

D- overall, I grew to like this beer more and more as I drank it (and I have issues with maltose/molasses flavors). I don't know if I could drink more than one at a sitting- I feel it needs food cause the abv seems to sneak up on you due to its insane smoothness going down, perhaps a meal of sausages or game with german black bread. Definitely something to warm you during the cold winter, goes great with a hearty stick-to-your ribs meal (heavy bean stews- had it with Publick House's cassoulet before).

2.82/5  rDev -34.9%

Cool bottle with a white plastic goat hanging off of it. Poured into my snifter.

It pours a thick-looking reddish-brown (maroon?) and it had a big tan head on it. It looks pretty damn appetizing - if dense and brown are appetizing to you.

The smell was the first cause for let down. I got almost nothing from taking a few whiffs of this one. Some bread and very toasty malts. And... that's pretty much it. It smells like a beer but there is no spiciness and it doesn't smell as dark as it appears to be.

The taste is better with some big time malts and flavorful sugary fruit essence mixed in for good measure. Not much in the way of hop bitterness to balance it out, I thought. Slight chocolate undertone... I'll try this again someday to try and pick out the intricacies. Not very robust... Still, a nice tasting dopplebock.

There is medium carbonation and a medium body. A little sweet stickiness/creaminess.

I didn't want want another one after this. It feels thick in one's stomach and although this is a creamy beer, I did not cream myself over it. I'll have to try it again sometime though just to see what all the fuss is about.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: This beer was served in a 10-ounce Chalice. The color is a deep yet translucent mahogany with a beautiful tan head.

Smell: Essence of molasses pervades this brew. Balanced against the refined fragrance of molasses is that of spicy phenol, sweet caramel, and a toasted malt character.

Taste: Beautiful and complex. The first property that takes ahold and hangs on for the entire ride is that of malt and molasses. Subtly, the essence of fig augments the flavor. Piercingly, hops enter to contrast the sweet foundation and create dissonance in this otherwise harmonious symphony of flavor. During the recapitulation, an essence of alcohol and grain are present to usher this dark nectar to an unceasing end.

Mouth-feel: Unable to break the grips of its captor (rich, full bodied, thick malt), the carbonation, fully infused, makes this beer smooth.

Drinkability: A nectar seemingly not meant for mortal palates. Divinely inspired!? The Germans can be thanked for making this brew available and thusly determining my only sustenance till the day I die.

Served on tap from Kilted Mermaid of Vero Beach, FL for a price of $5

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. There is no freshness date on the bottle, but that doesn't matter because this is one of the coolest bottles I've ever seen. The old-world style label, the dominant use of white for a clean look, and the nifty little goat charm make this beers packaging a winner. Appearance is based on the look of the beer in a glass, however, so let's get to it. This beer pours a dark, cola brown color with ruby red highlights and is a shade or two darker than the Thomas Creek Deep Water Doppelbock I had earlier today. A fairly vigorous pour yields a soft, fluffy, two-fingered head that is a lovely medium brown color, perhaps a few shades darker than a pair of khaki pants. The head gradually fades to a light film covering the surface of the beer, and it leaves a small amount of Belgian lace behind on the sides of the glass.

Smell: The nose of this beer has an absolute mountain of very sweet malt in it; the kind of extra sweet smell that a Scotch Ale has. There are also hints of caramel, dark fruit, and perhaps a bit of chocolate, but the sweet malt is so overpowering that it's hard to pick these up. There are no roasted malt aromas, no hop aroma, and no alcohol presence, and this nose is spot on for a Doppelbock.

Taste: I don't have much to base my review on for how a Doppelbock is supposed to taste, only the Thomas Creek beer that I had earlier today and what the BJCP guidelines tell me. Right from the start, however, I can firmly say that this beer is much better than the Thomas Creek Deep Water Doppelbock. As in the nose this beer begins with a delicious sweet malt flavor that dominates the palate, but there are also notes of sweet milk chocolate, coffee with milk, and perhaps a bit of molasses and anise. These flavors are pretty dominant throughout, but the finish does bring a hint of smokiness, a slight leafy hop flavor, a bit of fig, and a slight drying effect to the table.

Mouthfeel: I think the best words to describe the mouthfeel of Celebrator are soft and gentle. While some beers seem rough, biting, or even like they bruise the tongue, this beer seems to roll on and off the tongue, gently caressing the cavities of the mouth. Medium-full bodied, low carbonation, and very, very smooth without even a hint of harshness or astringency.

Drinkability: All of the beers from Brauerei Aying that I've tasted have been exceptionally drinkable, and their Doppelbock is no exception. This beer is perhaps a bit too sweet for me to drink more than one of (unless I were drinking it with food, which as I type this I'm really craving some cheese or a steak to pair this with), but I'm having no trouble disposing of these twelve ounces. Would I drink this again? Easily. Would I buy this again? Oh yeah.

Notes: My first high quality Doppelbock, I was very impressed with all facets of this beer. I'm really anxious to try some more Doppelbocks after this one, mainly the Paulaner Salvator and the Victory St. Victorious. Considering the fact that these beers have a long history of being great seasonals for the spring time, I'll hopefully be picking some more up on my next trip to the store. Celebrator Doppelbock has given me a lot to celebrate about, and for that I give much thanks to the little town of Aying.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Poured into a 16oz tulip. Great looking beer. Dark brown to red tint. Minimal head on this one that dissipated fairly soon.

S - Smell intensifies at it warms. Lots of malt up front with light fruit coming through. Definite Caramel notes.

T - Perhaps a tad bit of chocolate, definite caramel. Fruit follows through, moving to the front as time moves on.

M - Medium to light. Slight carbonation on the tongue.

D - About where I would expect from a 6-7%. A few beers is possible.

Great beer. Will have to go for the four pack next time!

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a glass bar cup, it was rich thick, very dark brown. The head rose slow and then grew rapidly to almost an inch (blame my anxiousness). In about 30 seconds, there was just an outer lace of head adhering around cup. Initial taste is sweet, dark sugars just like you smell -- caramel, brown sugar, toasted coffee, still working on other awesome adjectives etc. Just a fanstastic robustic blend in your mouth all at once. I think I let out a verbal "wow" at this point. Yeah, it's that good. I took a good mouthful taste, and realized the back of my tongue (bitter) does not like it as much. But, you will enjoy every sip of this beer!!

Overall, one of the best beers I've ever had. I highly recccomend it.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

This is my first bock, and it's great.
Pours a dark color. A red tinged brown in the light.

The smell took me immediately. Ginger and molasses, caramel, with a very very slight undertone of earthy hops.

The taste follows the smell perfectly. Coffee and chocolate notes blend into the molasses character, bringing back memories of younger days making cookies.
The mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, and has a very light malt graininess.

Drinkability: give me another one, now. It's that good, I only have one, and I'm sad.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this one at a nice beer bar on the Jersey shore, where they were kind enough to give me a bottle and a pokal to pour it into.

A: Poured into the glass beautifully; dark, coffee-colored brown, with a two finger-thick tan-colored head. There seems to be a bit of a reddish hue to it as well. Minimal, if any, lacing.

S: Wow, what an aroma! This is certainly for malty beer lovers. I get some roasted sweet malts; chocolate, caramel, maybe hazelnut. So sweet, it's almost fruity, and it gives you a nice warm sensation.

T: Mirrors the smell, only I don't know quite where this fruitiness might come from. Plums? Raisins? Otherwise, molasses, caramel, chocolate...general roasted malty goodness. Very sweet, as expected. Extremely rich. Too much flavor for you to pick up on the slightly higher alcohol content, and the hop character is underplayed and only really present, as perhaps some noble hops, on the after taste. Like the smell, it gives you a warm toasty feeling.

M: Thick and creamy, sort of lingering behind to give you a chance to enjoy the flavor. Not much in the way of carbonation or bite from the hops.

D: Delightful beer. I'm almost disappointed I didn't have it in the comfort of my home with a few friends and a warm winter fire. But there will be time for that. I will have to say however, that as with any very malty beer, and any extremely flavorful beer, this is one to be enjoyed in moderation. I can't see anyone throwing back a six of this in one sitting, but the 2-3 you may have will be quite fine.

I had one of these tonight, served in the proper "Celebrator Glass".

A: Pours a dark brown with a reddish hue when light passes through it. There is a tan head that turns white after settling for a bit. The head is composed of fine bubbles.

S: A nose of roasted malt is unmistakable with this beer. Possibly plum or fig as well.

T: Crisp and clean roasted malt taste. No bitterness or harsh after taste like some doppelbocks have.

M: Feels rather smooth in the mouth.

D: The crisp and clean taste with the lack of after taste makes this a very drinkable bock.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

The bottle looks unusual, but good. The small "bonus" is great. The beer in the glass also. Tastes constant malty, not penetrating, not tooroasty, a little bit sweet and dry - good combination. Good balanced finish, very drinkable - very good beer!

4.85/5  rDev +12%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass (making do with what I can while I'm not with my own glassware)

A: Pours a dark ruby-brown with minimal light getting through. Tan one-finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving a very thin film. Minimal lacing. Looks a bit like coffee.

S: Roasty, malty aroma with a bit of alcohol on the nose.

T: God-like. Notes of coffee and a bit of molasses, and various malt flavors. Not as sweet as other doppelbocks I've had; the malts are a bit more bitter.

M: Obviously thicker than a lot of beers, in tune with the style, but not as syrupy as many doppelbocks. Low carbonation, and feels a bit like coffee.

D: If I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be on my short list of choices. I've had it in hot Chicago and DC summers before, and it's very drinkable even then. It's a perfect balance between the heavy/thick character a doppelbock is supposed to have and a lightness that lends itself well to continued drinking.

I don't think the English language is sufficient to describe how excellent this beer is. Simply phenomenal.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

My brother-in-law bought this for me in a little bistro in Columbus. He'd had it before in Germany. Dark and smooth. I read people going on about raisins and caramel but I didn't get any of that. What I got was a good, smooth, dark beer. Oh, and the goat was a plus.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

I was expecting a sweeter brew while I watched the cascade. Great head! Smell was apparent immediately, although rather one dimentional. Loved the hoppy flavor that followed the initial malty/caramelness. Silky smooth with crispy carbonation. Very drinkable O very drinkable.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

This double bock is colored a deep cola-like brown which borders on a nearly opaque black. Its head is thin, yet consistent and with good retention. A thick malty-sweet aroma blossoms from the top, reminiscent of a porter or stout. However, unlike a porter or stout, this beer has a slimmer body, at once refreshing and filling. The taste hints at smoke and brazil nuts (or is it coffee?), and is, in a word, deep. As for its drinkability, I could see myself enjoying one or two of these, but I find it hard to picture someone putting down more than a few bottles in an evening.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours as dark as a sturdy stout, but actually looks red/brown when held in the light. The head blossomed beautifully to a 2" mocha-colored foam, but fizzled out pretty quickly. Leaved a nice lacing, though.

Smells like toasted bread, but there's a touch of roasted malt in there too. A lot of yeast is present, too.

Very toasted and roasted; stout-like. Tastes like bread that's toasted 'til it's nice and dark. I'm not really tasting any hops at all.

Medium to full-bodied, not particularly carbonated. Not quite "smooth," but certainly easy to drink; it's almost hard to keep from drinking this too fast, as good as it tastes.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a very deep, dark copper color. Almost black. Forms two and a half fingers of head that quickly dissipates to a thin film on the surface. Very little lacing.

Strong malt up front on the nose, with a quiet chocolate finish. There are also tones of caramel and raisens.

Tastes heavily of lightly roasted malt and chocolate up front with a bit of a sweet raisen finish. Also apparent are hints of coffee and fig. Light carbonation is apparent as well. A very delicious, well balanced brew.

Feels large and full bodied in the mouth, but never syrupy. Goes down smooth and finishes slick. Feels great.

I put this one off for a long time, largely because of it's price-to-alcohol ratio...It proved to a huge mistake, as this is definitely one of the most deliecious beers I've tasted. A must try, often buy, in my book for sure. I'd drink it all the time.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Huge, spongy head that dissipates down to a film. Looks like a cola drink after pouring. Brown with garnet highlights.

S: Dark molasses bread, dates, and cloves.

T: Dark cane syrup, toasted wheat bread, roasted malts, and sweet aftertaste. There is a mild smoke flavor too. Very complex and nice.

M: Smooth and thick, but not cloying at all. Warming as it goes down.

D: You would never guess that this has the alcohol that it does. It's incredibly drinkable. One of the most complex tasting beers I've ever quaffed. You want to come back for more just so you can see what you might have missed last time.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Served from an 11.2 oz brown bottle emblazoned with a logo that features two goats holding up a glass of dark beer. Plastic goat tchotchke tied around neck of bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Thick, creamy tan head that subsides to a good lace and sticks pretty well. Dark, almost black body that tints red through the light.

Smell: Dark sugar smell upfront, similar to molasses. Some sweet, fruity bread aroma as well. Hint of some hops hiding amongst that bready smell.

Taste: A little sweet at the start, with some bread and molasses qualities. Some kind of mild fruity taste that accompanies the sweetness as well, raisins maybe, or perhaps figs. Becoming astringent from roasted malts and hops and finishing with a little hop bitterness that complements and reinforces the mild bitterness from the roasted malt.

Mouthfeel: Nice and smooth, but pretty thick. This is definitely no light beer.

Notes: Great brew, a little complex but also accessible and really likable. Tasty.

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had in 10 oz draft. Dark appearance with little light penetration. Very smooth taste with malty notes. Little lacing and maybe 1" of head. Drinks very clean and was refreshing when it was 90 degrees out. Almost stoutish in its flavor. Would unquestionably drink again and probably one of the best Doppelbocks I've had.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

had this on tap at DELANEY'S tap room in new haven ct and it was great i have had this many times before but never on tap. less carbonated than the bottle but just as rich, malty and flavorful with a smooth mallow finish that made me have a second one

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Celebrator is definitely a great beer. It is a very dark, almost black color. It provides a good head and the smell of this beer is really something special. The aroma of chocolate is detectable as well as a very malty smell. This is a thick beer but not overpowering. It is not highly carbonated and goes down smooth. The flavors of chocolate and coffee are evident. Despite its thick body, it goes down smooth. I had a few of these during Christmas dinner and afterward. A few people have said it has gone well with meats but I would also suggest it with goose which is what I had for Christmas this year. It turned out to be a good combination.

4.59/5  rDev +6%

330 ml bottle.

Pours the deep brown of a medium roast cup of coffee. Puffy, mocha-tan head subsides after a few minutes.

Wonderfully sweet, bready aroma. Vanilla, caramel, chocolate all detectable. Prunes soaked in bourbon. Very complex malt aroma mixes with some alcohol esters and a touch of hop resin.

Tastes is fully of coffee, chocolate, toasty bread and oatmeal cookie. The high viscosity of this brew is evident on the lips and as it goes down the gullet, but a rather firm, underlying roasted-malt dryness combined with nice carbonation keep it remarkably light on the palate. This, combined with some nice hop balance in the finish makes this a very drinkable doppelbock.

This beer is just begging for some grilled sausages or venison steaks. A classic.