Ayinger Bräu Weisse - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-16-2001

Reviews: 860 | Hads: 1,943
Reviews by PeprSprYoFace:
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a Weizen glass. Pours a golden semi clear color. Nice white head lasted the whole time. Ok lacing.

Aroma is slightly clovy. Bit more banana in this one. Kinda wheaty and a bit of hay.

Taste is the same. Nice and wheaty. Little bit of clove and nice banana in the finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth and refreshing. Medium carb.

Overall a decent hefe. Would have again. (376 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Cloudy, pale gold color with a big, fluffy white head

Aroma: Lots of banana, a little bready, some wheat malt, faint spice and yeast. Pretty much textbook Hefe aroma.

Taste: Crisp and snappy up front, with some malt sweetness, a hint of honey and some yeast tang. Banana is more prevalent in the middle, then some clove on the mildly astringent finish.

The Rest: An Excellent Hefeweizen. Crisp and clean, excellent malt characteristics, a great example of the style. (485 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is all about the beauty of balance. The reciprocal interaction between subtleties. A tender aromatic dance for the senses.

Sip and savour, or chug 'til you drop, it's all good.

Close to perfect. (202 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +1%

Nice cloudy appearance,bigtimesediment on the bottem of mine (not a bad thing),nice fruity taste of lemon and apple.Refreshing on a hot summer day,nice and spritzy. (164 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance – Light yellow in color with a little cloudiness. The head was big and frothing.

Smell – They sure do have that yeast smell down pat. The aroma of this weizen is authentic and truly awesome. I hope this tastes better than their so-called “dunkel weizen.”

Taste – Yes, much better than the dunkel weizen. It’s kind of light for a hefe – more like a wit bier – but very pleasant. The yeast comes out some at the taste (still, not like in the nose though). There’s lots of summer fruits here as well along with a hint of hop balance.

Mouthfeel – Light and fluffy just as it should be. As I mentioned, I thought it was a little thinner than it should be, but otherwise the mouthfeel was right on.

Drinkability – This went down well. It wasn’t anything stellar, but it was close enough to the style to satisfy. (840 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15%

4.5/5  rDev +9%

This review is for the Ayinger Brau Weisse beer. The bottle says that it is 500ml aka 16.9oz. I love me some wheat beers! This one was very good. I served it in a wheat beer glass (the way its meant to be consumed). After the head dissipated I took my first sip and I have to say, man, this is so smooooth. Love it. You can get some yeast, bread, banana, and spices. I drank this beer very cold, I think that's how this should be consumed. It is a refreshing beer so consume it cold to cool you down. The only negative that I have for this beer is that it is expensive compared to other hefe beers. It was $3.50 for a bottle. I also drank a Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse right after I drank this beer. The Franziskaner was also very good but I felt like the Ayinger was just smoother and more enjoyable. It was bubbly like champagne in the mouth. The Franziskaner was about $1.50 for a 12oz bottle. A much better deal. Again, both great beers but the Ayinger is just more up my alley.

My reviews are more mental notes for me. I don't really care about smells, appearance, etc. Just the overall taste. (1,096 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Like many hefes, even the most modest of pours can not prevent the voluptuous, bone-white head from growing to a size nearly half the glass. It's chunky, bubbly, and patchy, leaving big blotches of lacing as it makes it's way down towards the straw and yellow brew. The beer itself is a little lighter in hue than I'd expect, but it's got that yeasty hazy that I certainly love.

The aroma is very banana heavy, with a good deal of fruity esters infiltrating the front lines right away. A large amount of clove comes nearly hand-in-hand with the esters and the finish introduces a slight bit of mint and bubblegum. Very yeast heavy, as most hefes should be. It smells pretty sweet, but not sweet enough to give me cavities. It could stand to be a bit more powerful, but its composition is great.

Banana esters are again the first thing to tingle my senses, only this time it's my palate and not my nose. The mostly-sweet and mildly-spicy banana esters are backed with a good amount of bready malt and a solidifying helping of clove. The fresh, wet, crisp mouth feel gives makes the beer very quenching and satisfying.

Just like the nose, the flavor wouldn't hurt from being a bit more amped up, but as it stands, it's still an easy-drinker and a very enjoyable hefeweizen. Warmth seems to draw a bit more sweetness out of the brew, but it never gets to an unacceptable level. Nice, lightly sweet finish with some banana-bread and a hint of clove.

Another solid hefeweizen, but would you really expect anything less from the country of origin? This went nice with a few fresh slices of pizza, and my pint had vanished fairly quickly. It's not the hefeweizen that's going to dethrone Weihenstephaner as my favorite (and I'm beginning to think nothing will) but it's still a solid and cost-effective choice amongst the style. (1,826 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

Look (3.5/5) – Pours a rich straw-yellow colour. Head was all-right: it rose generously on a good pour; was a bit soapy in texture; fell a bit quickly to a cap with minimal lacing. The brew was very opaque, as you’d expect from the style. Some nice visible carbonation.

Smell (4/5) – A really nice light wheat character gives the foundation for the aroma, although on first blush I got a bit of that latex-like smell it went away fairly quickly. The typical banana-clove (leaning a bit more to the banana) aroma of weizen yeast is a little more subdued here than in some I’ve had. I think there may be a slight hint of something a bit more sour or sharp in the yeast as well (maybe pears). This basically makes a nice balance between yeast and malt with no real hop or alcohol to speak of.

Taste (4.5/5) – The flavour is a bit more complex than I found with the aroma. The wheat-centered malt character is more-or-less the same and lends a light backbone for the yeast. The yeast really impressed me: it had the typical banana and clove notes (leaning toward some spice on the palate, unlike on the nose); there were also some really nice lighter fruits (pear, nectarine) and some good floral character, but these linger in the background and give depth to the yeast flavours. I think there’s a slight hint of yeast flavour on this one as well. Bitterness is light – just enough for balance – and is paired with some nice spiciness that lasts into the finish.

Feel (3.5/5) – Good for the style. Medium-light body with the yeast giving the feel of body with higher carbonation. There’s a bit of spice that lasts into the finish that I really liked.

I liked this one quite a bit. I think it’s a great example of the style, though maybe not the best one I’ve ever had (I really do think that the uncharacteristically dark Schneider Weisse is the best). (1,877 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

You've got to love a great hefeweizen when poured into a tall hefe glass. It's hazy with a huge, white mountain of foam that you could rest your head on and have a snooze.

Classic aroma of clove with a light bubblegum note, grassy hops, and a banana backdrop. Also, it has a hayish, wheat presence that works well for it.

Very clean and complex flavors that integrate well. A clovey yeast spiciness and a wheaty earthiness lead to a dry finish and a banana note to grow on.

Clean, flavorful, highly drinkable, fantastic. (524 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1.9%

I'm pretty sure I've reviewed this before, but just be sure, this wheat's standout characterisitcs are monster head, amazing wheat zip, and a nice, moderate phenolic taste that make it the one to go with for fish. Can't go wrong with this one.... (246 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

4.17/5  rDev +1%

Pours from the bottle a lovely cloudy golden orange hue with a nice white head that is made up of a bunch of small bubbles. No complaints here. Aroma is a very nice mix of wheat grains, fresh cut bananas and a strong clove spiciness. The interplay between the clove and banana here is very nice!

First sip brings a nice pale wheat maltiness that is dominated by fruity banana and lemon tones along with a bready yeastiness. The clove spiciness works its way in well and mixes with a light bubblegum flavor as well. Quite a nice hefeweizen here with a nice mix of flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good deal of bubbly carbonation in the mouth. I'd like to see it toned down just a tad. Otherwise, this is an incredibly drinkable brew that is both tasty and refreshing. Great for warmer weather...when the Hefe becomes one of my go to styles. (856 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic. Smells like bubble gum - the kind you used to get out of a pack of baseball cards..."original" flavor. Very healthy bubbly white head. This, like Paulaner's hefe, is to me, the ultimate example of a hefeweizen. Its like a combination of all the perfect qualities of a hefe and a witbier combined. Its light, extremely refreshing, smooth, absolutely flavorful, and has no abrasive qualities that are usually present in american hefeweizen attempts. Anyone with any appreciation of craft beer would have to respect this beer, and it would also be a perfect possible introduction to the world of craft beers. (616 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Right away, this beer struck me as one that is exceptional for its style. I'm afraid it was served to me in a glass with dish water fragrance, but despite that, I detected banana, clove, and a musty, earthy yeast aroma. The earthiness continued through tasting, which was pleasant. Fresh banana continued, too. The finish is mild and doesn't linger. After a few sips, I was chowing on some delicious Mexican food, with which I can now recommend this beer for pairing. (467 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%