Ayinger Bräu Weisse - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Bräu Weisse Alström Bros
Reviews: 860 | Hads: 1,942
3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Much thanks to my friend Mike for picking this up for me.

From a 500ml bottle.

Poured a yellow straw cloudy with a big white head. Smell was a little subdued with aroma of cloves and grass, no Hefe banana smell. Taste was solid and light, great thirst quencher. (263 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

A- Cloudy, light straw, little head

S- Aroma of light clove. not much banana, and that soft distinctive wheat aroma. Wishing for something more.

T- I always thought this was a bit light on taste, even for a hefeweizen.

M- Alright. No problems here. Could use a tad more carbonation.

D- Drinkability could be high because it goes down so easy, but I don't think I'd really want to spend much time drinking this one. Nothing wrong with it technically, though. (462 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Found a bottle a Sam wines in Chicago served in a proper Ayinger weiss glass.

Cloudy golden yellow hue with a great foamy white 2" head that lingered for a while.

Clean lemony wheat, yeasty aroma.

Nice flavors, with lemon wheat, bananas, grassy hops with a nice finish that is very refreshing. Crisp carbination creates a nice mouth feel.

Drinkable and very refreshing summer beverage. (397 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

I never learn my lesson and always pour hefe's too fast...so I'm staring at a third of a glass of foam here...

As it settles, the foam seems to be biting into itself like a pile of dissolving snow. Lots of crystals. Let me try and describe this orange haze...very light sensitive. In front of the light is a foggy peach faded into an orangeade. Hefe's always look great, this one is no exception.

Scent is mostly comprised of pineapple - with wheat notes diluting it, but contributing for a good cause.

Tastes like pineapple and other assorted tropical fruits. The wheat in this one is just an afterthought.

Carbonation is great. Subtle, but effective.

A very unique hefeweizen, it's merits far surpass it's expectations. I feel like I've found a new friend. Put this on your 'To Drink' list. (807 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -16.2%

Tonight I'll be enjoying a few Ayinger beers. I always love getting some good German brews this time of year and celebrating the Oktoberfest season. First thing I notice upon pour in my Paulaner weizen glass is an absolutely massive head. Like a dollop of ice cream on top. Fantastic! A dark golden color. Smells like a typical German hefeweizen, banannas etc. Taste is similar yet very mild. Hmm, maybe the mildest German hefeweizen I remember having, though still quite tasty. I wish I had another. A definate try if you like this style. (539 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

I had this beer served in the bottle with the tall Ayinger glass. Maybe it was the large glass but the beer seems very large and took me a while to finish, despite being rather light. The smell and taste are very wheaty and goes down very smooth. For a light beer it did fill me up. It was one of the better wheat beers I've tried thus far (339 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -1%

pours a cloudy dark yellow, almost slightly orange. the head is creamy and mostly white. there is little lacing as well.
smells pretty good. banana, orange, some spices that i can't identify.
it tastes pretty good. mostly like the smell, it's pretty complex and hard to pick out individual flavors, but the ones that can be smelt can also be tasted.
it feels nice and smooth and has medium carbonation.
i could drink this beer all day long, although it's not the best hefe i've had. (487 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15%

By the bottle at home May 2007

Pours a hazy yellow, highly carbonated and and full of tasty yeast.
A thick head for looks that slowly disapates into a fine summer beer by anyone's standards. Scent of bannanas and cloves is very present. This beer full in body but light and crisp on the tongue. Hints of lemon, bannana and bubble gum are present in this fine heffe. All I need now is a fat pretzel and some spicy mustard to finish this expierience. A true German Heffe and a must try by any beer aficionado! (511 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance - Larger than average fluffly head, a shade lighter in color than average hefeweizen (in between a hefeweizen color and a wit color), nice gushing carbonation in the glass. Looks similar to many of my favorite wheat beers.

Smell - Typical hefeweizen of the sweet and fruity type. The strength of the smell is quite good for this kind of beer.

Taste - Very much like authentic hefes of the Franziskaner, Hacker-Pschorr type - the sweeter kind. The sweetness and fruitiness are the main flavors here and ends with a moderate to weak wheat finish. If I really had to get nitty gritty, into details that even I myself may not successfully detect in a blind taste test, I might say this one is just a touch more watery than the aforementioned two.

Mouthfeel - Silky and smooth, the carbonation is not the stinging kind here.

Drinkability - I have always considered these kinds of beers to be amongst the most drinkable. This beer overall is benchmark type material. (975 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was a murky yellow color when poured into the glass. It smells very sweet and gives off a decent aroma of fruit. The first taste I get when it his the mouth is banana and a light amount of spices. This has a very creamy full mouth feel. This is a great beer to have over a hot summer day. Cheers (305 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

One of the finest hefe's on the market. Wonderful look. Cloudy, sullen, rich wheat beer. Brilliant yellow gold colour. Creamy/frothy head, a little over an inch thick, that lingered for a touch, long enough to get three good swigs out before it dissipated to the wall of the goblet. The flavour is the key in this one. Typical wheat beer hits, with swift kicks of clove, anise and black pepper, rounded with dry, yet buttery massages. Thirst quencher and a half. GREAT BEER. Period. (482 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8%

500 ml bottle into a pint glass.

A- On par for a German Hefe. Cloudy tannish orange. A thick white head that was quite fizzy for this style. Usually I see a very dormant, creamy head; this was bubbly and noisy. It fizzled away quicker than average, too. Moderate lacing.

S- There's definitely more lemon presence in this one. The yeast, dough, and clove are there too. I didn't pick up the usual banana... there's also a hint of vanilla in there.

T- Tangy citrus, sweet dough, a pinch of clove, and maybe some other spices. Even a touch sour as it warms.

M- Crisp and tingly from the carbonation. Medium to light body. This was a bit over carbonated for a hefe.

D-Like any other german wheat, I'm more then happy to finish the pint.

Overall not my favorite Hefeweizen from Germany; but it still blows away any domestic attempt at the style!

Cheers. (859 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: pours straw yellow with a remarkably thin 1 finger head. I figure the head is so uncharacteristically thin because its from a keg and this didn't have much active yeast in the pour.
Smell: alot of vanilla and bannana, some citrus and coriander. There is also a very slight undesirable note of acetone on the back.
Taste: a little bitterness on the front end, which fades to a lemony citrus and finally a ton of bannana's and vanilla. It's tasty, but again I get a little bit of a chemically acetone flavor.
Mouthfeel: crisp with a medium body
Overall: It was good, but there were some flavors and smells I didn't love. It's an interesting tasting beer, but it isn't as enjoyable as alot of other more generic brews. That said, having drunk a significant portion of the growler I felt the need to boost the overall score a bit, as it became tasty after a pint or two. (872 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9%

This review is for the Ayinger Brau Weisse beer. The bottle says that it is 500ml aka 16.9oz. I love me some wheat beers! This one was very good. I served it in a wheat beer glass (the way its meant to be consumed). After the head dissipated I took my first sip and I have to say, man, this is so smooooth. Love it. You can get some yeast, bread, banana, and spices. I drank this beer very cold, I think that's how this should be consumed. It is a refreshing beer so consume it cold to cool you down. The only negative that I have for this beer is that it is expensive compared to other hefe beers. It was $3.50 for a bottle. I also drank a Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse right after I drank this beer. The Franziskaner was also very good but I felt like the Ayinger was just smoother and more enjoyable. It was bubbly like champagne in the mouth. The Franziskaner was about $1.50 for a 12oz bottle. A much better deal. Again, both great beers but the Ayinger is just more up my alley.

My reviews are more mental notes for me. I don't really care about smells, appearance, etc. Just the overall taste. (1,096 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

This is my second whirl through the world of Ayinger. I tried another brew of theirs a few months ago...it was also good.

I really enjoyed this brew. It pours cloudy... like most hefes. There is a decent amount of head and lacing on the glass. The smell is sweet and fruity...with a hint of citrus. The taste is very clean and light...also like most hefes. The mouthfeel is good. It's not quiet as "smooth" as other beers of this kind...a lot are "silky" while this one has a little more carbonation, (but still smooth).

I rate this high on drinkability because it's very enjoyable, not very filling...and I could drink it all night long. I say "Bottoms Up!" (664 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6.8%

appearance - a golden haze...like sunlight through a glass of vitamin piss

smell - very light almost non existant; slight fruity, tart smell, tangy but very faint

taste - fruity like most hefe weissens but with an emphasis on lemon. slight malt-like presence. no hoppiness really detectable. mixed really well, it tastes great

mouthfeel - very good, nothing unsettling stands out, zero complaints

drinkability - good enough to destroy you despite its low abv...because you can easily drink so much (509 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured this beer vigorously into a flute. Very tall head that dropped slowly but did not disappear. Light straw color with noticeable carbonation. The smell was average with nothing coming to the forefront. Some hint of fruit. The taste hinted banana with a touch of pear. Nice crispness on the front of the palatte that smoothed into creaminess on the back. Very nice beer but was expecting more. (397 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -1.5%

A nice Bavarian Hefe Weisse although not in the top 3 or 4 from the region.

A very light straw color as I pour it with a white bubbly head the dissipates at a decent pace. The carbonation give the beer a nice look with the bubbles rising to the top. Also a non filtered beer so there is some cloudiness which always perks my interest.

The smell was of light cloves and other spices with a very faint banana scent somewhere in the back. Nice, but a bit on the light side.

The taste also had some clove with the usual wheat, bread, yeast tones that makes this very drinkable but a tad light on the overall flavor for this style.

I think you would enjoy this beer on a warm day with some pretzels and a nice BBQ going on in the backyard. Pick it up if you see it, you won't be dissapointed.

Prosit! (810 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Served at refrigerator temperature from bottle into pilsner glass with about 2 fingers of head which dissipates into a thin but present foam. Initial aroma is pleasing, composed mostly of yeast and wheat malt. Carbonation is strong but appropriate to style. Mouthfeel seems suitably thin at first but remains- very pleasant. No particular flavor is predominant, making this a very good example of the style. At under $4 a bottle, this is an exceptional buy which I will revisit. (478 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

This brew poured into a pint glass becomes a very hazy looking drink with a nice foamy head. that slowly fades.SMELL is has zesty freshness with a touch of lemons and spice.TASTE has the lightly lemon taste with a follow up cloves and banana bread.It has a smooth aftertaste.Definitely a summer heat pleaser.I would happily drink these all evening by a fire on a cool summer night. (381 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer was so good, I had 2 at a restaurant (I usually have only 1 of any style) and also bought it out at the grocery store. A fine version beer from Ayinger. Not overly appealing by sight but the taste was excellent for the style and the drinkability was exceptional. Great summer beer and session beer. (308 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

I have to admit that with the beeradvocate rating on this brew I went in with expectations that were maybe a little too high because I was a little let down. I had to have another to re-grade it without the expectations.

Appearance - a medium golden yellow with a little over an inch plus of snow white head that maintained until the end.

Smell - Banana citrusy hops.

Taste - Tasted like it smelled. I was worried it would be watery but it was full flavored.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and dry but refreshing.

Drinkability - Liked it but probably won't pick it up again. I've had better domestics for better bargains. (614 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Hope not to gross anyone out with this one. When I poured this wheat beer into a glass the pale, cloudy liquid reminded me of a seafood or clam sauce that one could buy at a grocery store--all of its murkiness and suspended particles in full valor. Nonetheless, a very inviting brew.

Smells very sweet and pleasant--like that of a good Hefeweizen. I'm also picking up summer stone fruits, like apricot and peach.

Taste is great--contains that classic wheat feel. Again, very sweet and light but dominant on the wheat aftertaste.

This is a very light beer and its fruity carbonation makes me think I'm enjoying a sophisticated champagne--but better.

I will have no problem polishing off this 22 oz. bottle. A perfect summer beverage. This would be great with seafood or a salad of sorts--perrrfect. (801 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9%

This is a really solid offering from Ayinger. Definitely my favorite Hefe, because while it still has that banany taste it is not overpowering or too sweet at all. I could drink another 355ml bottle of the stuff. It smells great but that does not mean it knocks you out. It pours cloudy and it gives more head than a Clinton intern. Highly recommended!

--Joey (362 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Super hazy light straw, almost light tan body. Brilliantly thick white head that is long lasting. Good lacing.

S - Definitely some phenols and fruitiness in this beer. Clove and banana are the obvious. Fairly balanced.

T - Moderate banana flavor at first, very subtle clove. Soft bready flavor of wheat is a great malt accent. Dry finish with a citrus and yeast character.

M - High carbonation, no warming. Light body. Texture of wheat is noticable complimenting the palate.

D - Somewhat spicy notes and fruitiness gives excellent drinkability. (553 characters)

Ayinger Bräu Weisse from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying