Join our email list →

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany | website

Hefeweizen | 5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Bräu Weisse Alström Bros
Reviews: 880 | Hads: 2,034
3.77/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: Cloudy pale Straw colored with good head and a high level of retention as the beer took forever to settle.

Aroma: Clove is predominate as well as a citrus element. Some banana aroma but mostly hidden behind the wheat and clove.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very sharp and has a good bite. Tastes like malted wheat with come tart citrus (lemon, not orange) Very crisp and clean without any perceivable flaws (in style). Even as the beer warmed, Banana was not easily perceived as Clove took control. Carbonation was high and helped set up the lemony citrus flavors.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Wonderful Hefe on a warm summer or even on a nice cool Fall or Spring day. Clean and refreshing.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Served w/ lemon. A very delightful weisse. Just enough hops for bitterness to give it some bite. A fruitful blend of wheat, fruits and hops. The hop presence greets the taste buds first, then the beer finishes with a smooth, refreshing aftertaste. Definitely a beer to return to.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured a large head that dissipated quickly, decent cloudy straw color.

Smelled of citrus and clove, but not very strong.

Tasted like clove, spicy from start to finish, no hints of banana.

Mouthfeel was balanced and spicy, very refereshing on a warm day.

Overall, this was not my favorite interpretation of Hefe Weizen but it was very drinkable and I'd try it again.

3.84/5  rDev -7%

A very light foggy yellow color with a light soft off white head. Extremely cloudy. A classic hefeweizen nose of citrus, wheat, banana, and some spice. I enjoyed the crisp coriander flavor. A very refreshing beer. The finish is clean with just a little bit of a scratchy wheat feeling on the roof of my mouth. Easy drinker.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

I love Ayinger beers, but I don't often drink their wheats (for some reason).
Pour: Murky yellow-tan; plenty of foam and bubble action -- fills the wheat glass with good-looks. My bottle pour head subsided after little time.
Aroma: Full of hefe-weiz aroma -- fruity esters and lemon-sour tinge. Background hints of hefe (yeast) smell.
Taste: One of the better, standard German H-W out there (almost enters into my top echelon of the style): full flavor of H-W tastes to match its aroma. Pretty wet mouthfeel works the complex of flavor (wheat & yeast base, banana-clove experience with sweetness and some citrus as well). Nice.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance - Cloudy yellow. straw-like color

Smell - lemon rind and clove

Taste - you can taste the lemon with a decent amount of clove. i even get some subtle banana.

Mouthfeel very nice mouth feel. very good carbonation and relatively sweet

Drinkability - easy to put down a four-pack (though i don't recommend this due to the price).

This may be my favorite hefe. A little pricey for a 4-pack so i usually just drink tucher, but this is definitely superior. Check it out if you can

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Gold, slightly hazy, bubbly, with a nice pure white head and thick lacing.

Light lemon scent, wheat, and bubblegum.

Sourness followed by sweet lemons, lots of bubblegum, and wheat. Medium body, spicy carbonation, with a smooth, clean finish.

Delectable hefeweizen that is soft and inoffensive. Can't go wrong.

3.51/5  rDev -15%

Pours a cloudy, nearly opaque pale straw color with the expected big foamy head. Smells tart and yeasty with an odd, slightly metallic scent. Very forward with the traditional banana and wheat flavors, with significant lemony tartness. Much moreso than most hefes. Finishes with a lasting taste of clove. Pretty good, but there are definitely better (and cheaper) hefes out there.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

The Ayinger Brau-Weisse comes from the bottle a hazy, pale gold and quickly rises to a big head that quickly dissipates, unlike some of its brethern, who have big rocky heads that will stick around longer.

The smell is of clove and a pleasant earthiness I can't quite pin down. Perhaps hay.

The taste is light spice, with clove dominant. There is a slight tartness on the back of the tongue that remains while the tastebuds in the advance guards tingle for more.

This is very refreshing, but doesn't have the complexity or the mouthfeel I've come to expect from favorites such as the Paulaner. It has worked well, however, has a good starter beer when I bring it to parties. Bud drinkers quickly learn that "cloudy" doesn't translate into "overpowering" or "thick."

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a cloudy yellow-orange color into a weizen glass, has a huge white head and can see very many bubbles racing to the top.

Smell - Bananas, cloves and other fruity esters

Taste - The esters did not come out like I was expecting, has a slight watery mouthfeel with faint hints of the bananas and cloves, with a alcohol warmness at the end.

Mouthfeel - Watery and has a lot of carbonation.

Overall not too bad of a Hefe, but I have had a lot better.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

A- pours a hazy pale yellow with a white foamy head which leaves some lacing as it disappears.

S- citrusy lemon is the first smell noticed followed by some banana and clove.

T- excellent. Tastes like it smells. Lemon with some banana and clove. Clean finish.

M- good amount of carbonation. Smooth and light bodied but not watery.

Overall - Hefes are my favorite and this beer is just one more reason why. A perfect summer time brew.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Poured a bottle of this into my 1/2 liter Andechs mug.

A. Poured a honey like color. It head a huge creamy thick head that lasted an eternity. Very cloudy, as it should be.

S. Bananas of course. Also a yeast aroma. Wheat as well.

T. Banana bread and some lemon. Maybe some orange as well. Very tastey.

M. Crisp and refreshing. Light with a sweet finish.

D. My favorite beer in this style. Perfect for a summer day.

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

The beer smells lemony and sweet. There's definitely some of the traditional bubblegum sugar, and a even little pear. It has a hazy honey color with a pretty, fluffy white head, which fell pretty fast. I swear, I washed this glass really well this time. Oh well.

The tast comes crisp, citric and acidic. It's very creamy with high carbonation, and leaves a nice bready dryness in the finish. The beer is very light on the tongue and no flavor dominates over the other. there's a little clove or some other dark flavor in the taste that adds a bit of spice and complexity, but my overall impression of this beer is light and refreshing beer with a mild taste.

This is one of my favorites with a salad or a light omelette because the lemony acidity and tight wheat flavor relax the palette and can handle the subtlety of fresh greens and the sourness of a vinegar dressing, as well as cutting through eggs and cheese in an omelette. One of my favorite hefes overall.

beautiful unfiltered orange, plentiful white frothy head
nose of bananas, orange, and lemons

a little bit of green apple twangyness, authentic hefe fresh wheat flavor, little to no bitterness, a smooth and orange citrus finish.

quaint design on the bottle, solid hefe, very drinkable, wish I could get this on tap somewhere

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 500ml bottle, this hefe pours the typical clouded golden-yellow. A nice white, rocky head forms and subsides somewhat slowly. Looks refreshing.
It has a sweet, fresh citric aroma. There's a little bit of bubblegum and clove.
Tastes sweet and tart with more citrus that the aroma hinted at, but there's not one characteristic that overpowers the others. Very well-rounded.
Feels very smooth, and there's just enough pizzazz to remind you that this is a great beer.
High drinkability; this tastes and feels good from beginning to end.

I welcomed this hefe with open arms as the August heat hit pushed today's temperature to 108 degrees. Very refreshing.

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a somewhat clear very light yellow color, odd for an unfiltered beer, most Hefeweizen are so cloudy, and have a lot more sediment.

Smells very fruity and I get a big hit of cloves. Smells just excellent.

Taste is a lot like the smell, plus bananas.

Mouthfeel is crisp and smooth, with nice dry finish.

Overall, excellent beer, just love this beer style. Easy drinking with a lot of flavor.
This would go great with a Friday night fish fry.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance - Cloudy dark yellow. A bit of head retention and lots of lacing. Served in the proper Ayinger glass. It looks so good.

Aroma - Fruity aroma. Maybe a bit of bananna. It is different for this style.

Taste - Lots of flavor! Sweet and full of bananna. It has a solid wheat malt backbone and a bit of cabonation. This is a very good representative of the style.

Mouthfeel - Light and full of cabonation. The sweetness lingers.

Overall - What a fabulous wheat beer! I will have more. I have found a summer favorite!

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Light yellow only a little hazy 1 finger head thats dies off fast white in color no lacing.

Smell - Lemon and yeast little banana in there.

Taste - Same as the smell lemon with yeast and the banana is in the back. Still very nice and sweet its a nice change from the other hefe's I've had and the first to pull off the lemon.

Mouthfeel - Clean and crisp very refreshing beer, smooth after taste that leaves me wanting more. The finish is a sweet bready feel love that yeast.

Overall - Not a bad beer but not a great one I loved that its the first hefe with lemon that I've liked but it just wasn't making me jump for joy. That said go grab one and see for yourself.

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Much thanks to my friend Mike for picking this up for me.

From a 500ml bottle.

Poured a yellow straw cloudy with a big white head. Smell was a little subdued with aroma of cloves and grass, no Hefe banana smell. Taste was solid and light, great thirst quencher.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

A- Cloudy, light straw, little head

S- Aroma of light clove. not much banana, and that soft distinctive wheat aroma. Wishing for something more.

T- I always thought this was a bit light on taste, even for a hefeweizen.

M- Alright. No problems here. Could use a tad more carbonation.

D- Drinkability could be high because it goes down so easy, but I don't think I'd really want to spend much time drinking this one. Nothing wrong with it technically, though.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Found a bottle a Sam wines in Chicago served in a proper Ayinger weiss glass.

Cloudy golden yellow hue with a great foamy white 2" head that lingered for a while.

Clean lemony wheat, yeasty aroma.

Nice flavors, with lemon wheat, bananas, grassy hops with a nice finish that is very refreshing. Crisp carbination creates a nice mouth feel.

Drinkable and very refreshing summer beverage.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

I never learn my lesson and always pour hefe's too fast...so I'm staring at a third of a glass of foam here...

As it settles, the foam seems to be biting into itself like a pile of dissolving snow. Lots of crystals. Let me try and describe this orange haze...very light sensitive. In front of the light is a foggy peach faded into an orangeade. Hefe's always look great, this one is no exception.

Scent is mostly comprised of pineapple - with wheat notes diluting it, but contributing for a good cause.

Tastes like pineapple and other assorted tropical fruits. The wheat in this one is just an afterthought.

Carbonation is great. Subtle, but effective.

A very unique hefeweizen, it's merits far surpass it's expectations. I feel like I've found a new friend. Put this on your 'To Drink' list.

3.46/5  rDev -16.2%

Tonight I'll be enjoying a few Ayinger beers. I always love getting some good German brews this time of year and celebrating the Oktoberfest season. First thing I notice upon pour in my Paulaner weizen glass is an absolutely massive head. Like a dollop of ice cream on top. Fantastic! A dark golden color. Smells like a typical German hefeweizen, banannas etc. Taste is similar yet very mild. Hmm, maybe the mildest German hefeweizen I remember having, though still quite tasty. I wish I had another. A definate try if you like this style.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

I had this beer served in the bottle with the tall Ayinger glass. Maybe it was the large glass but the beer seems very large and took me a while to finish, despite being rather light. The smell and taste are very wheaty and goes down very smooth. For a light beer it did fill me up. It was one of the better wheat beers I've tried thus far

4.5/5  rDev +9%

This review is for the Ayinger Brau Weisse beer. The bottle says that it is 500ml aka 16.9oz. I love me some wheat beers! This one was very good. I served it in a wheat beer glass (the way its meant to be consumed). After the head dissipated I took my first sip and I have to say, man, this is so smooooth. Love it. You can get some yeast, bread, banana, and spices. I drank this beer very cold, I think that's how this should be consumed. It is a refreshing beer so consume it cold to cool you down. The only negative that I have for this beer is that it is expensive compared to other hefe beers. It was $3.50 for a bottle. I also drank a Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse right after I drank this beer. The Franziskaner was also very good but I felt like the Ayinger was just smoother and more enjoyable. It was bubbly like champagne in the mouth. The Franziskaner was about $1.50 for a 12oz bottle. A much better deal. Again, both great beers but the Ayinger is just more up my alley.

My reviews are more mental notes for me. I don't really care about smells, appearance, etc. Just the overall taste.

Ayinger Bräu Weisse from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying