Ayinger Bräu Weisse - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Bräu Weisse Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,924 | Reviews: 873
4.42/5  rDev +6%

A- pours a hazy pale yellow with a white foamy head which leaves some lacing as it disappears.

S- citrusy lemon is the first smell noticed followed by some banana and clove.

T- excellent. Tastes like it smells. Lemon with some banana and clove. Clean finish.

M- good amount of carbonation. Smooth and light bodied but not watery.

Overall - Hefes are my favorite and this beer is just one more reason why. A perfect summer time brew.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

Poured a bottle of this into my 1/2 liter Andechs mug.

A. Poured a honey like color. It head a huge creamy thick head that lasted an eternity. Very cloudy, as it should be.

S. Bananas of course. Also a yeast aroma. Wheat as well.

T. Banana bread and some lemon. Maybe some orange as well. Very tastey.

M. Crisp and refreshing. Light with a sweet finish.

D. My favorite beer in this style. Perfect for a summer day.

A crisp and dry Heffe. Higher carbonation than usual. Spicy taste with lemon and apple. No Bananna taste in this heffe.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

The beer smells lemony and sweet. There's definitely some of the traditional bubblegum sugar, and a even little pear. It has a hazy honey color with a pretty, fluffy white head, which fell pretty fast. I swear, I washed this glass really well this time. Oh well.

The tast comes crisp, citric and acidic. It's very creamy with high carbonation, and leaves a nice bready dryness in the finish. The beer is very light on the tongue and no flavor dominates over the other. there's a little clove or some other dark flavor in the taste that adds a bit of spice and complexity, but my overall impression of this beer is light and refreshing beer with a mild taste.

This is one of my favorites with a salad or a light omelette because the lemony acidity and tight wheat flavor relax the palette and can handle the subtlety of fresh greens and the sourness of a vinegar dressing, as well as cutting through eggs and cheese in an omelette. One of my favorite hefes overall.

beautiful unfiltered orange, plentiful white frothy head
nose of bananas, orange, and lemons

a little bit of green apple twangyness, authentic hefe fresh wheat flavor, little to no bitterness, a smooth and orange citrus finish.

quaint design on the bottle, solid hefe, very drinkable, wish I could get this on tap somewhere

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 500ml bottle, this hefe pours the typical clouded golden-yellow. A nice white, rocky head forms and subsides somewhat slowly. Looks refreshing.
It has a sweet, fresh citric aroma. There's a little bit of bubblegum and clove.
Tastes sweet and tart with more citrus that the aroma hinted at, but there's not one characteristic that overpowers the others. Very well-rounded.
Feels very smooth, and there's just enough pizzazz to remind you that this is a great beer.
High drinkability; this tastes and feels good from beginning to end.

I welcomed this hefe with open arms as the August heat hit pushed today's temperature to 108 degrees. Very refreshing.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a somewhat clear very light yellow color, odd for an unfiltered beer, most Hefeweizen are so cloudy, and have a lot more sediment.

Smells very fruity and I get a big hit of cloves. Smells just excellent.

Taste is a lot like the smell, plus bananas.

Mouthfeel is crisp and smooth, with nice dry finish.

Overall, excellent beer, just love this beer style. Easy drinking with a lot of flavor.
This would go great with a Friday night fish fry.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance - Cloudy dark yellow. A bit of head retention and lots of lacing. Served in the proper Ayinger glass. It looks so good.

Aroma - Fruity aroma. Maybe a bit of bananna. It is different for this style.

Taste - Lots of flavor! Sweet and full of bananna. It has a solid wheat malt backbone and a bit of cabonation. This is a very good representative of the style.

Mouthfeel - Light and full of cabonation. The sweetness lingers.

Overall - What a fabulous wheat beer! I will have more. I have found a summer favorite!

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Light yellow only a little hazy 1 finger head thats dies off fast white in color no lacing.

Smell - Lemon and yeast little banana in there.

Taste - Same as the smell lemon with yeast and the banana is in the back. Still very nice and sweet its a nice change from the other hefe's I've had and the first to pull off the lemon.

Mouthfeel - Clean and crisp very refreshing beer, smooth after taste that leaves me wanting more. The finish is a sweet bready feel love that yeast.

Overall - Not a bad beer but not a great one I loved that its the first hefe with lemon that I've liked but it just wasn't making me jump for joy. That said go grab one and see for yourself.

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

Much thanks to my friend Mike for picking this up for me.

From a 500ml bottle.

Poured a yellow straw cloudy with a big white head. Smell was a little subdued with aroma of cloves and grass, no Hefe banana smell. Taste was solid and light, great thirst quencher.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

A- Cloudy, light straw, little head

S- Aroma of light clove. not much banana, and that soft distinctive wheat aroma. Wishing for something more.

T- I always thought this was a bit light on taste, even for a hefeweizen.

M- Alright. No problems here. Could use a tad more carbonation.

D- Drinkability could be high because it goes down so easy, but I don't think I'd really want to spend much time drinking this one. Nothing wrong with it technically, though.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Found a bottle a Sam wines in Chicago served in a proper Ayinger weiss glass.

Cloudy golden yellow hue with a great foamy white 2" head that lingered for a while.

Clean lemony wheat, yeasty aroma.

Nice flavors, with lemon wheat, bananas, grassy hops with a nice finish that is very refreshing. Crisp carbination creates a nice mouth feel.

Drinkable and very refreshing summer beverage.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

I never learn my lesson and always pour hefe's too fast...so I'm staring at a third of a glass of foam here...

As it settles, the foam seems to be biting into itself like a pile of dissolving snow. Lots of crystals. Let me try and describe this orange haze...very light sensitive. In front of the light is a foggy peach faded into an orangeade. Hefe's always look great, this one is no exception.

Scent is mostly comprised of pineapple - with wheat notes diluting it, but contributing for a good cause.

Tastes like pineapple and other assorted tropical fruits. The wheat in this one is just an afterthought.

Carbonation is great. Subtle, but effective.

A very unique hefeweizen, it's merits far surpass it's expectations. I feel like I've found a new friend. Put this on your 'To Drink' list.

3.46/5  rDev -17%

Tonight I'll be enjoying a few Ayinger beers. I always love getting some good German brews this time of year and celebrating the Oktoberfest season. First thing I notice upon pour in my Paulaner weizen glass is an absolutely massive head. Like a dollop of ice cream on top. Fantastic! A dark golden color. Smells like a typical German hefeweizen, banannas etc. Taste is similar yet very mild. Hmm, maybe the mildest German hefeweizen I remember having, though still quite tasty. I wish I had another. A definate try if you like this style.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

I had this beer served in the bottle with the tall Ayinger glass. Maybe it was the large glass but the beer seems very large and took me a while to finish, despite being rather light. The smell and taste are very wheaty and goes down very smooth. For a light beer it did fill me up. It was one of the better wheat beers I've tried thus far

4.09/5  rDev -1.9%

pours a cloudy dark yellow, almost slightly orange. the head is creamy and mostly white. there is little lacing as well.
smells pretty good. banana, orange, some spices that i can't identify.
it tastes pretty good. mostly like the smell, it's pretty complex and hard to pick out individual flavors, but the ones that can be smelt can also be tasted.
it feels nice and smooth and has medium carbonation.
i could drink this beer all day long, although it's not the best hefe i've had.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

By the bottle at home May 2007

Pours a hazy yellow, highly carbonated and and full of tasty yeast.
A thick head for looks that slowly disapates into a fine summer beer by anyone's standards. Scent of bannanas and cloves is very present. This beer full in body but light and crisp on the tongue. Hints of lemon, bannana and bubble gum are present in this fine heffe. All I need now is a fat pretzel and some spicy mustard to finish this expierience. A true German Heffe and a must try by any beer aficionado!

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance - Larger than average fluffly head, a shade lighter in color than average hefeweizen (in between a hefeweizen color and a wit color), nice gushing carbonation in the glass. Looks similar to many of my favorite wheat beers.

Smell - Typical hefeweizen of the sweet and fruity type. The strength of the smell is quite good for this kind of beer.

Taste - Very much like authentic hefes of the Franziskaner, Hacker-Pschorr type - the sweeter kind. The sweetness and fruitiness are the main flavors here and ends with a moderate to weak wheat finish. If I really had to get nitty gritty, into details that even I myself may not successfully detect in a blind taste test, I might say this one is just a touch more watery than the aforementioned two.

Mouthfeel - Silky and smooth, the carbonation is not the stinging kind here.

Drinkability - I have always considered these kinds of beers to be amongst the most drinkable. This beer overall is benchmark type material.

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was a murky yellow color when poured into the glass. It smells very sweet and gives off a decent aroma of fruit. The first taste I get when it his the mouth is banana and a light amount of spices. This has a very creamy full mouth feel. This is a great beer to have over a hot summer day. Cheers

4.67/5  rDev +12%

One of the finest hefe's on the market. Wonderful look. Cloudy, sullen, rich wheat beer. Brilliant yellow gold colour. Creamy/frothy head, a little over an inch thick, that lingered for a touch, long enough to get three good swigs out before it dissipated to the wall of the goblet. The flavour is the key in this one. Typical wheat beer hits, with swift kicks of clove, anise and black pepper, rounded with dry, yet buttery massages. Thirst quencher and a half. GREAT BEER. Period.

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

500 ml bottle into a pint glass.

A- On par for a German Hefe. Cloudy tannish orange. A thick white head that was quite fizzy for this style. Usually I see a very dormant, creamy head; this was bubbly and noisy. It fizzled away quicker than average, too. Moderate lacing.

S- There's definitely more lemon presence in this one. The yeast, dough, and clove are there too. I didn't pick up the usual banana... there's also a hint of vanilla in there.

T- Tangy citrus, sweet dough, a pinch of clove, and maybe some other spices. Even a touch sour as it warms.

M- Crisp and tingly from the carbonation. Medium to light body. This was a bit over carbonated for a hefe.

D-Like any other german wheat, I'm more then happy to finish the pint.

Overall not my favorite Hefeweizen from Germany; but it still blows away any domestic attempt at the style!

Cheers.

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: pours straw yellow with a remarkably thin 1 finger head. I figure the head is so uncharacteristically thin because its from a keg and this didn't have much active yeast in the pour.
Smell: alot of vanilla and bannana, some citrus and coriander. There is also a very slight undesirable note of acetone on the back.
Taste: a little bitterness on the front end, which fades to a lemony citrus and finally a ton of bannana's and vanilla. It's tasty, but again I get a little bit of a chemically acetone flavor.
Mouthfeel: crisp with a medium body
Overall: It was good, but there were some flavors and smells I didn't love. It's an interesting tasting beer, but it isn't as enjoyable as alot of other more generic brews. That said, having drunk a significant portion of the growler I felt the need to boost the overall score a bit, as it became tasty after a pint or two.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

This review is for the Ayinger Brau Weisse beer. The bottle says that it is 500ml aka 16.9oz. I love me some wheat beers! This one was very good. I served it in a wheat beer glass (the way its meant to be consumed). After the head dissipated I took my first sip and I have to say, man, this is so smooooth. Love it. You can get some yeast, bread, banana, and spices. I drank this beer very cold, I think that's how this should be consumed. It is a refreshing beer so consume it cold to cool you down. The only negative that I have for this beer is that it is expensive compared to other hefe beers. It was $3.50 for a bottle. I also drank a Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse right after I drank this beer. The Franziskaner was also very good but I felt like the Ayinger was just smoother and more enjoyable. It was bubbly like champagne in the mouth. The Franziskaner was about $1.50 for a 12oz bottle. A much better deal. Again, both great beers but the Ayinger is just more up my alley.

My reviews are more mental notes for me. I don't really care about smells, appearance, etc. Just the overall taste.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

This is my second whirl through the world of Ayinger. I tried another brew of theirs a few months ago...it was also good.

I really enjoyed this brew. It pours cloudy... like most hefes. There is a decent amount of head and lacing on the glass. The smell is sweet and fruity...with a hint of citrus. The taste is very clean and light...also like most hefes. The mouthfeel is good. It's not quiet as "smooth" as other beers of this kind...a lot are "silky" while this one has a little more carbonation, (but still smooth).

I rate this high on drinkability because it's very enjoyable, not very filling...and I could drink it all night long. I say "Bottoms Up!"

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%

appearance - a golden haze...like sunlight through a glass of vitamin piss

smell - very light almost non existant; slight fruity, tart smell, tangy but very faint

taste - fruity like most hefe weissens but with an emphasis on lemon. slight malt-like presence. no hoppiness really detectable. mixed really well, it tastes great

mouthfeel - very good, nothing unsettling stands out, zero complaints

drinkability - good enough to destroy you despite its low abv...because you can easily drink so much

Ayinger Bräu Weisse from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying