Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier Alström Bros
1.65/5  rDev -58.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Purchased this at Belmont Beverage on South Bend's Southside. Poured into Pilsner glass at cellar temps. Poured a cloudy straw yellow. Impressive comact three finger head and attendent lacing. The cloudiness set off alarm bells immediatly. The aroma was mainly a grainy, sour maltiness. The taste mirrored the aroma. Sour, sweet, a bit rancid. The sell by date on the bottle was missing. This beer is obviously oxidized. Too bad, I drank Ayinger lagers while living in Germany many moons ago. (492 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -54.4%

First, I'm quite confused how only a 5.5% ABV beer has the alcohol burn of beers >9%? Second, I'm a huge fan of Ayinger's Celebrator and a few others I've sample but this Jahrhundert seems to miss the boat entirely and should be discontinued. The only positive thing I can say about this beer is the head retention continued for the full 12 oz session in my pint glass. The starting head was only 1 finger thick but held. But you drink a beer not stare at it like a piece of art (although I think all of us beer geeks prefer looking at a fine beer in glass over most artwork). Verdict: stay away from this one! (613 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -41.8%

500 ml from Total Wine

A - Champagne in color, lots of head, dissipates slow, minimal alpha clumps, and light legs.

S - Peach and graininess which resembles gasoline. Very bad.

T - Malts, peach, and that faint gasoline.

M - Grainy, malty, and slightly sweet.

D - The Mouthfeel and Appearance help this beer, but I will not drink again. (340 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -41%

I was told this bottle is “new” and I have no reason not to think so. Maybe I am just not “in tune” with the other BAs who reviewed this beer because…

The nose on this beer is completely dreadful, it ruins the beer, and I can’t drink anymore! I tried but I just can’t handle the herbal, spice, lemon and sweet malt (which I think is the culprit) arrangement! I couldn’t get passed the smell in the taste, awful! The beer feels great on the tongue and seems to contain some quality citrus, grassy, and malt. The body was slightly cloudy, yellow, with a white head, good retention, and good lace.

I cannot help but loathe this beer, the bouquet is horrible and it soils almost everything about it. I had to pour it out… (733 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -36.5%

Presentation: 0.5L bottle, poured into a pilsener glass.

Appearance: Crystal clear yellow/gold with a big, foamy head that never went away and left a lot of sticky lace.

Aroma: Big German pale malt sweetness in the aroma with a little bit of herbal hops.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Relatively light and crisp. A big malt sweetness hits first and never goes away. The hops lend a lot of herbal flavors that I'm just not really liking. More sweet pale malt. More herbs and grass. This is a very sweet beer, with the hops doing very little to balance.

Notes: I couldn't finish the beer. This doesn't happen often. It was just way too sweet and malty and I didn't like the herbal hops either. (694 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -35.4%

A - Pours a very light yellow/gold. Slightly cloudy, with a quarter-inch of foam.

S - Strong lemon smell with light hints of vanilla and clove/corriander.

T - Citrus zest, bitter orange, slightly burnt grain. Just a bit of a metallic aftertaste.

M - Fairly thin and light.

D - Aside from slight metallic aftertaste, not really offensive, but just a bit on the boring side. (384 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't know why, but this one really reminds me of a BMC.
Pours a bright light yellow with a nice full finger white head that melts to very nice sticky lacing.
Aroma is faintly pale malt with some corn (do they use an adjunct in this???)
Taste is major macro to me. Sweet pale malts, slight corn middle, just a tiny bite on the end.
Mouthfeel is comfortable, but aftertaste is slightly cloying.
Not impressed at all.
I expect much more from this brewer. (460 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -35.2%

I originally sampled this at a Bavarian beer tasting at Hi Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa, CA on 26 April 2003. I am writing this review from my notes. For me, there was nothing about this beer that stood out. It wasn't bad, but I certainly wasn't impressed by it. It was rather bland (285 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Lemonade colored and murky. Short-lived 2-finger head of large bubbles.
Meager lacing.

S: Fruity and cloying - I don't think I'll like this one. Citrus and a bit of
bread undertones.

T: Like I thought - pretty cloying. Has that distinct raisiny-alcohol taste
found in many Belgian beers. Alcohol is out in the open. Bread is an
aftertaste along with the raisins.

M: Medium-bodied and perfectly carbonated. Fairly non-astringent. No
complaints in this department.

D: Drinks alright, but due to the taste, I won't be buying again. (538 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -31.9%

Another light, clear, barely yellow beer. The head is just a thin white sheet over the top. The nose is crisp, tart, pilsner-like and extremely light. It taste a little sour with some skunkieness. Not my style beer and a little unpleasant. Not much of a finish and what is there is not that desirable. Just not a lot to say about this experience. Maybe I got a bad bottle. I'll have to give it another try at a later date? (422 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

Pours a hazy pale gold with a ripidly disappearing foam collar. Nose is void of malt presence but full of cooked cabbage.

Entry shows little CO² zip...midtaste shows a minimal amount of caramel malt but the lack of hops in the finish leave this reviewer wanting.

Not sure of the age of this bottle, but once again the vulnerability of imports to America's three-tier system shows lack of accountability for old/poorly handled product. (441 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -29.6%

A - pale transparent straw/blonde color, with moderate carbonation, with 2 fingers of white rocky head

S - malty with a hop bite to it, perhaps a rice-y characteristic

T - malty sweet, very sweet, too sweet for my palate, but delightful, a honey flavor, with a slight bitter hop bite at the end

M - very smooth with a bubliness from the carbonation

D - high, due to its sweetness (392 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.9%

Let me preface the review with this: I really enjoyed the all the other beers from this brewery so far. I wish this one had measured up to the fine standard Franz Inselkammer has set with their other offerings. The beer pours out the color of pale golden straw. A big, fluffy head forms and leaves behind some lace. Smell is almost missing in action. Light hops and lighter malt are the only notes found. Taste is a bit hoppy without being bitter but there is not much to taste either. Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated and a medium body. Drinkability could be so much higher if it had something to taste. In the end, this was more like a German version of an American megabrew offering, a disappointing beer. My only hope - after reading some of the other reviews -is that I simply got a bad bottle. I might try it again down the road. (834 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -27.3%

500 ml bottle. Pours straw with a foamy, white head and lots of carbonation. Aroma is of light floral hops, hay and some bready malt. Fuller body than a look might suggest, quite smooth. Taste is sweet, bready malt in the beginning then light herbal, floral hops kick in overpowering the palate. Long dry finish. This Ayinger I can skip next time. (347 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -27.3%

This is scaring me JUUUST a little...Pours a SUPER-DUPER pale yellow - like Bud Light level pale lemon yellow. Like sun-bleached straw. Didn't form a real head like I'd expect a German lager to, either. Middling on the carbonation, and little lacing, if any. Aromas are, strikingly, vgery malty and lager-ish. Big surprise there, right? Some sweetness in the nose portends something hopefully better than our BMC adjunct crap, but I'm not sure...Flavor is weird and, unfortunately, not all that good. Very German and lagerish, but any robustness hits you quick and then immediately backpedals, kind of like a Lennox Lewis fight in the first couple rounds. The flavor evolves into a thin middle that carries some lager-yeast qualities, then fades into a thinner finish that has some slight hop bitterness, but disappears into its corner, wondering how the whole fight ended so quickly. This is not good beer, and I'm disappointed that they'd put such an ambitious name on such a low rate lager. Not super cheap, not super expensive. I would not suggest trying this if you like Ayinger beers because it'll just piss you off rather than up.

What I like most: The aroma that HINTS that something decent might be coming.

What I like least: Everything else.

Verdict: Really poor effort and not worth trying. (1,304 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -27.1%

500ml brown glass BOTTLE with classy iconic label design and a colorful pry-off pressure cap acquired at an Austin, TX bottle shop and served cold into a pilsner glass. Reviewed live. Expectations are sky high given the brewery, which I adore.

No bubble show forms as it's poured. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

HEAD: Five fingers wide. Beige colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Good frothiness. Even and consistent. Retention is superb - about 10 minutes. Leaves a light thin coating on the sides of the glass as it recedes. Appears soft.

BODY: Clear translucent yellow of average vibrance. You can read text through this beer it's so clear. It's clearly filtered, and lacks the strength of colour observed in other Ayinger beers. Clean; no yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears well-carbonated. It's admittedly not much to look at, but I'm optimistic given the brewery.

AROMA: Soft pilsner malts, flaked wheat, clean crisp barley, Munich malts, mild pleasant floral hop character, a light hint of bread, a kiss of banana, and just enough malty sweetness. Seems balanced.

No yeast character, overt alcohol, or off-notes are detectable.

I'm cautious of the malty sweetness - which almost borders on buttery - and I do pick up on some extract lager-esque graininess. Not at all things I expected from an Ayinger beer. But I'm optimistic; it's pleasant enough. Average intensity.

TASTE/TEXTURE: The malty sweetness does bother me, as does the graininess. Coupled with the artificial sleek smoothness of the texture, this winds up tasting shockingly cheap - not only for an Ayinger beer, but compared to many American attempts at the style. Did I get a bad bottle?

The base of the beer is comprised of Munich malts, clean barley, a bit of flaked wheat, and a light breadiness. There's a hint of diacetyl off-character and a hint of honey. I like that it's clean and refreshing, but the flavour just isn't there for me, nor is the balance. Ultimately, it's a pretty generic lager build with no exciting characteristics or unique properties. I never thought Ayinger would disappoint...

It's wet, light-bodied, and a bit too thick. Nicely soft. The texture is no special companion to the taste, but there're no egregious problems with it. It's just underwhelming.

Has a mild but pleasant floral hop character. Average duration, depth, and intensity of flavour. By no means a complex or subtly executed brew.

OVERALL: Easy to drink, but that's about the best thing I can say about it. I've long been a champion of the quality of Ayinger's beers, but this is one I wouldn't buy again - even at German prices. Perhaps they should stick to their bread and butter - wheat beers. I wouldn't recommend this to friends, but I'll enjoy quaffing the glass. Definitely Ayinger's worst work. Not sure what went wrong here.

(2,883 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -24.8%

Hazy yellow orange color. White head, average, not exceptional.
Good hop in the smell, well definite, and fresh, with the maltines in the background. Slightly citric (citron). Camomile flowers.
In the taste the malt is more evident, although the hop is still well present.
Medium body.
It has a malty aftertaste, followed by a little point of pungent. (351 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Nice, fruity body with some banana, hay and the usual citrus flavors. Needs more character, though, as I was a bit dissapointed over the rather flat aftertaste. Good stuff for your summer picnic, though. (203 characters)

The white two-finger head is filled with large bubbles and rapidly dissolves to a half-inch high, leaving some tracks behind on the sides.

A light straw-colored yellow, the beer is exceedingly clear, with enough carbonation rising from the bottom to keep the head replenished.

The smell of mineral water and a bit of flowery hops greets the nose, with a hint of citric sourness. A good mouthful confirms the mineral flavors and musty old aftertaste, which may be from the hops, the light malts or the water. May be an old bottle, or altered by lack of good temperature management in shipping or storage.

Not my favorite style of beer, but drinkable. (652 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very different from their doppelbock, this poured a very pale blonde with fluffy white head. It had a very light and springy scent, like lemon and yeast. It tasted like sour hops at first (fairly typical for lagers, I believe) with some honey sweetness for balance. It was light and watery with moderate carbonation and a mild aftertaste. Overall this was a very light beer, not bad for a lager, but not good for me. (416 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier, Century Celebration Bavarian Lager: a huge white head on this bier, at least an inch and a half over the lip of the glass, and it is extremely long lasting. It pours a very clear and pale golden color.

The aroma is fairly light, with a hint of skunk, and a bare minimum of citrus as well.

The taste is exceptionally light, actually while it is nice and refreshing, I am struggling to detect much more than that. I can sense some malt taste, and a crisp snap of hops.

Very light bodied, easy to drink. (536 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

A- Pours a really light almost clear straw color. 3 fingers of head that doesn't stick around very long, moderate lacing left behind.

S- I can't get a lot in the smell. Sweet malts, breadiness, and some yeast. Nothing really stands out to me.

T- Grassy hops, sweet malts, some breadiness and a slight metallic taste as well. Very crisp, very dry.

M- Light to medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

D- It's decent enough but this just wasn't for me. It reminds me a lot of a euro pilsner which I'm not a huge fan of. (517 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -21%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is slightly skunky, almost pilsener like. Taste is crisp, some malts and finishing a tad bitter. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a fairly mediocre offering. (282 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -20.3%

Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier

Appearance: Yellow-orange, large head, lacing.

Smell: Grains, malts, and slight yeast, hops, and citrus.

Taste: Graints, malts, subtle yeast, and very light hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light and smooth.

Overall:
A decent lager. It has good balance and goes down smooth. (295 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -20%

This brew poured a very large white head of fine to medium sized bubbles that was mostly lasting and a cloudy wheat yellow body. With a mild hoppy aroma and the flavor of fizzy banana and hops, this beer goes down smoothly with a slight bite to its finish. (256 characters)

Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying