Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Altbairisch DunkelAyinger Altbairisch Dunkel

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-13-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel Alström Bros
1.45/5  rDev -63.4%

Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel

Mouth full of words.

Poured from the bottle this one takes on some light larger colors, but yet has a hint of darkness, once in the glass it turns darker red without enough density to cloud things out. Pours a decent head, very creamy.

Smells like caramel, honey, and has some earthy lager tones.

Candy, caramel, cotton candy…dark maple syrup, hints of raisins…what better way can I say this tastes like a kids candy instead of a beer. No hints of alcohol or spices that would give this some character and interest…instead it just sweet and sugary. The thing is this is watery sweet. It needs to up the game to be interesting. Instead it is in this world of candy without contrast or enough power to make me interested.

Candy is not good! I’m not just talking about beer, I’m talking everything. Sugary tasting things aren’t enjoyable for me. I get these things FAR less in beer though. At least candy has a market….5 year old kids. This is beer, why does it taste like they are making it for people who eat shit like cake? BTW for the idiots who think I’m joking in my reviews, that was funny because it is true. This beer sucks. Candy is sweet and uncomplex stuff, this beer is much the same. No depth or anything to grab on to.

1.5/5  rDev -62.1%

2.25/5  rDev -43.2%

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

Reviewing American Import: I am guessing that it must have been a bad bottle, normally I love Ayinger. This was flat and had no flavor...

A: No head or lacing with a lighter than average brown color. This beer is actually translucent. lame

S: not much nose at all. some bland dark malts.

T: toasted dark malts and little else, the beer has a watered down flavor.

M: hardly any carbonation at all and a light body.

D: crap, I'll have to try a real bottle of this when I get back to Germany. then I'll re-review

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%

This is a 500 mL bottle served in a Troegenator seidel. The lager is chilled.

Appearance: The lager has a deep brown color and a plentiful head. When held to light, softer brown tones emerge. The head also leaves a nice lace in the seidel.

Smell: This is the second German lager this week that has a strong grainy aroma, almost like cereal. Not very pleasant, as it comes across as too sweet.

Taste: The lager picks up a bit in the taste. The malts are dominant and come close to bock territory with their strength. There is a bit of smoky, roasted malts in the first sip, but they soon fade and leave a smoke-only finish.

Mouthfeel: The lager is a little awkward on the palate, the flavors are too strong to enjoy a nice dunkels lager.

Drinkability: Maybe with some nice smoked sausages this may work, but for the most part it disappoints.

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%

Maybe this beer just caught me off guard, but I found it to be just plain odd. Average to above average in appearance and smell, but the taste just left me flat. A tad overcarbonated, a little citrus zing at the finish and even though it has dunkel lager attributes, somehow this Ayinger misses my mark. I do love a good dark lager, and I look forward to enjoying more, but I'll leave this one alone, there are better options.

2.93/5  rDev -26%

Pours out a medium dark carmel color. A nice 1 inch white head. Some carbonation. I like it's color.\
Smells like a typical bavarian. Some spice. What I do not like is a odor of "cat spray urine".
Has a typical "bavarian malt taste". light hop bitterness.
Dry, almost chewey in texture. Has good carbonation. Chocolate finish.
A decent beer in taste, but did not like the smell. I want to try all the Ayinger line.

2.95/5  rDev -25.5%

Dark brown and orange in color. Has a hint of chocolate and a roasted flavor. It smells and tastes a little sharp to me. The mouthfeel is ok and the drinkability is impacted by a so so flavor. At first I did not like this but it kind of grew on me. Not my style and I will not likely seek it out again.

2.95/5  rDev -25.5%

This brew poured a large head of fine to medium sized bubbles and a carbonated semi-transparent brown body. It has a mild malt aroma appropriate for a Dunkel. This brew is a bit on the fizzy side for a Dunkel. Its flavor is a bit burnt or roasted caramel and this with some spicey notes.

3.03/5  rDev -23.5%

A..A good brown color. Not much head on this one, so a little disappointed.

S..Average smelling dark lager. Reminded me of a blend of dopplebock and English ale.

T..A bit disappointed in the taste, as it came highly recommended by the store's beer "guru." A good amount of malt, but could use more. Too much hop, and a little too bitter. Not a bad tasting beer, but I suppose I had my expectations heightened unnecessarily.

M..Not bad, but not great. Simply average.

D..It's an okay German lager; not great, but certainly not bad. I wish I had more good to report, but then again, I have no real bad to report either.

3.08/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle. Left a beige one finger head that receded to surface skim, and left a little bit of spotty lacing. Body was a clear reddish brown amber, sort of like brewed black tea.

Smell - Apples, some dark dried fruits, toffee, caramel, some diacetyl.

Taste - like the smell. Apples, dried ark fruits, toffee, caramel,and some diacetyl.

Mouthfeel - full, smooth, surprisingly high hop oil slickness, and also some drying.

Drinkability - this is decent, not bad, not great. It goes down fairly easy. Would have this once in a while, not much more often.

3.13/5  rDev -21%

a - crystal clear ruby red with deep brown hue, thin coarse head died pretty quickly

s - bready, toffee, sugar, hint of roasted malts and noble hops

t - malty sweet, bready, toffee, hint of chocolate, little bit syrupy cola-like sweetness

m - full body, bit of a heavy carbonic bite at first, but as it went along, it smoothed out

d - went down pretty quickly and easily, could drink another but it's not calling my name, the sweetness seemed to be a little reminiscent of a cola to me, but otherwise good

Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying