Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Altbairisch DunkelAyinger Altbairisch Dunkel

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel Alström Bros
Ratings: 954 | Reviews: 549
1.48/5  rDev -62.5%

Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel

Mouth full of words.

Poured from the bottle this one takes on some light larger colors, but yet has a hint of darkness, once in the glass it turns darker red without enough density to cloud things out. Pours a decent head, very creamy.

Smells like caramel, honey, and has some earthy lager tones.

Candy, caramel, cotton candy…dark maple syrup, hints of raisins…what better way can I say this tastes like a kids candy instead of a beer. No hints of alcohol or spices that would give this some character and interest…instead it just sweet and sugary. The thing is this is watery sweet. It needs to up the game to be interesting. Instead it is in this world of candy without contrast or enough power to make me interested.

Candy is not good! I’m not just talking about beer, I’m talking everything. Sugary tasting things aren’t enjoyable for me. I get these things FAR less in beer though. At least candy has a market….5 year old kids. This is beer, why does it taste like they are making it for people who eat shit like cake? BTW for the idiots who think I’m joking in my reviews, that was funny because it is true. This beer sucks. Candy is sweet and uncomplex stuff, this beer is much the same. No depth or anything to grab on to.

2.45/5  rDev -38%

Reviewing American Import: I am guessing that it must have been a bad bottle, normally I love Ayinger. This was flat and had no flavor...

A: No head or lacing with a lighter than average brown color. This beer is actually translucent. lame

S: not much nose at all. some bland dark malts.

T: toasted dark malts and little else, the beer has a watered down flavor.

M: hardly any carbonation at all and a light body.

D: crap, I'll have to try a real bottle of this when I get back to Germany. then I'll re-review

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Perhaps I got a bad bottle. Very bland with a poor aftertaste. One of the least enjoyable dunkels that I've had.

2.86/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours out a medium dark carmel color. A nice 1 inch white head. Some carbonation. I like it's color.\
Smells like a typical bavarian. Some spice. What I do not like is a odor of "cat spray urine".
Has a typical "bavarian malt taste". light hop bitterness.
Dry, almost chewey in texture. Has good carbonation. Chocolate finish.
A decent beer in taste, but did not like the smell. I want to try all the Ayinger line.

2.89/5  rDev -26.8%

This is a 500 mL bottle served in a Troegenator seidel. The lager is chilled.

Appearance: The lager has a deep brown color and a plentiful head. When held to light, softer brown tones emerge. The head also leaves a nice lace in the seidel.

Smell: This is the second German lager this week that has a strong grainy aroma, almost like cereal. Not very pleasant, as it comes across as too sweet.

Taste: The lager picks up a bit in the taste. The malts are dominant and come close to bock territory with their strength. There is a bit of smoky, roasted malts in the first sip, but they soon fade and leave a smoke-only finish.

Mouthfeel: The lager is a little awkward on the palate, the flavors are too strong to enjoy a nice dunkels lager.

Drinkability: Maybe with some nice smoked sausages this may work, but for the most part it disappoints.

2.94/5  rDev -25.6%

Dark brown and orange in color. Has a hint of chocolate and a roasted flavor. It smells and tastes a little sharp to me. The mouthfeel is ok and the drinkability is impacted by a so so flavor. At first I did not like this but it kind of grew on me. Not my style and I will not likely seek it out again.

2.95/5  rDev -25.3%

Maybe this beer just caught me off guard, but I found it to be just plain odd. Average to above average in appearance and smell, but the taste just left me flat. A tad overcarbonated, a little citrus zing at the finish and even though it has dunkel lager attributes, somehow this Ayinger misses my mark. I do love a good dark lager, and I look forward to enjoying more, but I'll leave this one alone, there are better options.

2.96/5  rDev -25.1%

This brew poured a large head of fine to medium sized bubbles and a carbonated semi-transparent brown body. It has a mild malt aroma appropriate for a Dunkel. This brew is a bit on the fizzy side for a Dunkel. Its flavor is a bit burnt or roasted caramel and this with some spicey notes.

3.03/5  rDev -23.3%

A..A good brown color. Not much head on this one, so a little disappointed.

S..Average smelling dark lager. Reminded me of a blend of dopplebock and English ale.

T..A bit disappointed in the taste, as it came highly recommended by the store's beer "guru." A good amount of malt, but could use more. Too much hop, and a little too bitter. Not a bad tasting beer, but I suppose I had my expectations heightened unnecessarily.

M..Not bad, but not great. Simply average.

D..It's an okay German lager; not great, but certainly not bad. I wish I had more good to report, but then again, I have no real bad to report either.

3.06/5  rDev -22.5%

LOOK: Poured from the bottle into a 16 oz. shaker glass. Highly clarified, very clear -- I'd call it transparent if it weren't for the color. Light brown, sort of toffee in color. Not as dark as I'd expected. Two fingers of airy, foamy head.

SMELL: A lightly toasted smell. A little bit sweet?

TASTE: Sweeter than I thought. A slight caramel note. Otherwise very straightforward. Everything about this beer seems to be in small moves that come together like a quiet song.

#MensJournal100Best2014

3.08/5  rDev -22%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle. Left a beige one finger head that receded to surface skim, and left a little bit of spotty lacing. Body was a clear reddish brown amber, sort of like brewed black tea.

Smell - Apples, some dark dried fruits, toffee, caramel, some diacetyl.

Taste - like the smell. Apples, dried ark fruits, toffee, caramel,and some diacetyl.

Mouthfeel - full, smooth, surprisingly high hop oil slickness, and also some drying.

Drinkability - this is decent, not bad, not great. It goes down fairly easy. Would have this once in a while, not much more often.

3.13/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not my cup of tea. Extremely malty, almost to the point of tasting like malt soda.

3.14/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500 ml from bottle to my belly...

It's dark enough. Dark cola without the bubbles. Frothy head, moderate retention

Highly unusual scent. Light vineagar? Pickled eggs? Don't know what it is but I don't like it.

Thankfully it tastes better than it smells. Lots of malt flavor. Very sweet.

Good feel, good drinkability.

Overall: nah.

3.15/5  rDev -20.3%

a - crystal clear ruby red with deep brown hue, thin coarse head died pretty quickly

s - bready, toffee, sugar, hint of roasted malts and noble hops

t - malty sweet, bready, toffee, hint of chocolate, little bit syrupy cola-like sweetness

m - full body, bit of a heavy carbonic bite at first, but as it went along, it smoothed out

d - went down pretty quickly and easily, could drink another but it's not calling my name, the sweetness seemed to be a little reminiscent of a cola to me, but otherwise good

3.15/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from pint+ bottle into a pilsner.

A - Crystal clear brown. Very thin, quickly dissapating white head.

S - A of bit roasty malt. Not big. Nothing special.

T - Roasty malt and pilsner with an almost chocolate-y sweetness. A tiny little dry hoppiness in the middle.

M - Big lager mouthfeel and a bit dry.

O - If I tried to brew a porter/lager hybrid, this is what I'd aim for. Unfortunately, I'd never want to do this. This is another that I'd not complain if it was all there was, but it lacks "muchness". Needs all of its flavours to be bolder. I enjoyed the Paulaner Salvator doppel bock style much more.

3.18/5  rDev -19.5%

Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel

Appearance: Light brown, medium head, and good lacing.

Smell: Caramel apple.

Taste: Malts, apple, caramel, corn, and grain.

Mouthfeel: Light and malty.

Overall:
Not a bad dunkel. Everything is well balanced and could also be a great session beer with lots of flavor.

3.21/5  rDev -18.7%

My wife cracked this open while I was performing my evening ablutions, but I managed to swoop in and grab some for myself. This bottle was picked up at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo.

The only dunkel in the world that's supposedly better than Denison's version according to you BAs (damn rDev), so what better a glass to put this in than a Denison's weizen glass? Pours a touch lighter than expected, presenting a clear light oak body with a frothy off-white head that makes this German beer look pretty damn fine. After a while the head drops to a fine film that's retained for the rest of the drink, and leaves some streaks of lace as it descends.

Lightly toasty aroma, with notes of brown bread, nut and earth. Its all rather muted, though, and the last thing I expected from a brewery of Ayinger's quality. At first I wondered whether my bottle was old, but the general consensus seems to be that the nose is lacking, though this doesn't rule age and handling out as a cause. The flavour is also underpowered, presenting much the same notes as the aroma, but without the force and complexity I hoped for. Strong brown ale elements jive with caramel and toasted grain before dropping off into nothing. Its not that it isn't drinkable, but it does seem underplayed and a shadow of its potential. At least the mouthfeel is somewhat on par, but again it could do with being a little more fuller.

Seeing words like muted, lacking, underpowered and underplayed in a review is never good. This isn't a bad beer by any means, but there's absolutely nothing here that makes me want to buy another, and how this is ranked ahead of far superior dunkels I do not know.

3.23/5  rDev -18.2%

Presentation: 17oz. brown bottle with no "bottled on" or "best by" date; $1.99 from Fireside Cellars in Santa Monica.

Appearance: Pours a ruddy brown with a fine, beige, two-fingered head; good retention; light, spattered, ring lacing.

Smell: Faint notes of toffee malt and ripe fruit.

Taste: Lightly sweet biscuity malt complimented by mild traces of earthy hops; roasted notes pervade. Nice, medium body.

Notes: Adequate. Certainly prefer Allgauer's Urbairisch Dunkel; not any better than Klosterbrauerei Weltenburg's Barock-Dunkel or Aktien-Brauerei Kaufbeuren's Frundsberg Dunkel.

3.24/5  rDev -18%

Pours a dark mahogany color with two fingers of off-white head.

Extremely faint smell of molasses.

Nice smooth flavor of caramel with a hint of molasses. Flavor feels chewy. Mild sweet aftertaste.

While it might be smooth and slightly rich, this is far from complex. It is drinkable and enjoyable, it just doesn't make it from good to great. I would recommend it more as an digestif, rather than with a meal or by itself.

3.26/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a clear mahogony color with ample carbonation and a large frothy cream head. Aroma is very metallic, with some caramel maltiness in the background. Taste is very clean, but like the aroma there is a good dose of metal in there, seemingly from the hops being used. bready and sweet maltiness help to beef things up a bit, but this just ends up rather bland. nice mouhtfeel & drinkable, but lacking character. This is average.

3.27/5  rDev -17.2%

Forgive me for not being overexcited by this beer, but the very particular taste, looks and smell it has were not necessarily for me.

The pour, deep reddish and translucid with a tan head that doesnt necessarily belong there; the smell I cannot really define but feels sorta woody, not in that good weissbier way but I dunno, just not of my likes.

The taste, a funky sweetness blended in rustically with some hops and stuff just, ya know, doesnt really do it and the thin body doesn't go properly with the taste. But oh well, I'm picky now.

3.27/5  rDev -17.2%

.5 liter bottle.

Pours a clear reddish brown with a tiny half finger head that quickly fades. Not lacing at all.

Smells of sweet caramel along with some roasted grain.

Taste has a somewhat heavy sweetness pervading throughout. Caramel dominates with roasted malt being secondary. Light grassy hops are detectable at the beginning quickly giving way to a light to moderate bitterness. The finish is somewhat sticky.

I have to say I am not a huge fan of this beer. It is too sweet for my liking and not quite enough roast.

3.3/5  rDev -16.5%

This beer pours a ruby-brown color. The head is one inch of light tan foam that recedes slowly into a firm cap of lacing. The aroma is caramel, toffee, and a nice mineral quality. Very pleasing. The taste is similar to the aroma, but lighter. It is still nice, but a bit too light for the style. The mouthfeel is on the lighterside of medium bodied with lively carbonation, and a watery texture. Overall, this is a nice beer, but there are much better dunkels out there that are far richer in depth of character than this one. I would most likely pass on drinking this beer again.

500 ml from BevMo

A - Burgundy pour with lots of orange head. Dissipates very slowly.

S - Apples, oranges, cinnamon, malts, and clove.

T - Apple, cinnamon and clove.

M - Silky, carbonated, slightly cloying.

D - A good beer, but tastes much like a marzen. Not pleased with the taste of marzen.

3.3/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light brown with a thin tan head. Nose has crisp nutty malts and mellow hops. Taste has a decent malt profile and some grassy hops. Light body has a refreshing carbonation. Seems like this could have used a bit more depth. Not quite on the same level as Ayinger's other beers.

Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying