Ayinger Ur-Weisse - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Ur-WeisseAyinger Ur-Weisse

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Ur-Weisse Alström Bros

ZeddecusRahl, Mar 18, 2012

ExaltedNecrosis, May 30, 2013

RandyPuckett, May 30, 2013
2.63/5  rDev -35.5%

Appearance – The head was nice and big with good retention and lacing, but the color is solid orange. Ist das eine dunkles?

Smell – Jahwohl – das ist eine dunkel weitzen. This one has a beautiful, monster yeast aroma that fills my nostrils with memories of Germany. The aroma is one-dimensional and awesome.

Taste – The flavor, on the other hand, didn’t deliver. The yeast all but left the building, and the dunkel aspect was nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel – This is where most bad weizens fail, and this was no exception. Flat doesn’t begin to describe this one.

Sinkability – I can’t believe that this was made in Bayern.

RoyalT, Dec 30, 2003
2.63/5  rDev -35.5%

A: Bronze colored body beneath a thick foamy white head. Hints of orange around the edges. No lacing. Head recedes quite quickly.

S: Spicy noble hop aroma. The hops are nice and floral. Only a hint of clove. Nothing else going on here.

T: Light clove and noble hop flavor. No grain flavor.

M: Very light, a bit watery.

O: Not a lot of flavor or aroma in this beer. No grain flavor, very light on esters and phenols, faint hops. It's an imported bottle, no bottle date and no import date. Won't buy it again unless I can try it fresh.

teromous, Apr 27, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

Hazy orange color with a thick light beige head. Some carbonation. This is darker in color than any German Wheat I have had so far. Fruity aroma. I was kind of unimpressed with the taste. There was a definite apple cider feel to it, but it really lacked follow-through. Probably the coolest bottle cap I have seen. What is in the trees, matryoshka dolls?

Dogbrick, Nov 18, 2002
2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

lmz3000, Jun 19, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured a cloudy copper, almost amber. The thick off white head receded a bit after it settled. Nice lacing on the glass.

A sweet malt aroma permeated the nose with hints of spice and banana.

This was a little too sweet for my liking. It was an almost carmel sweetness that was vaguely marzen like. It did not taste like a dark wheat beer to me.

I felt a film coat my mouth after I swallowed this stuff. It was a little to heavy and sticky. Not nearly as refreshing as I expect the style to be.

I was mildly disappointed with this beer but am willing to try again. It certainly would not be my first choice.

filabrazilia, Sep 01, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -27%

This beer was reccomended to me. I'm not that into Dunkelweizens and Weizenbocks but wanted to give it a try, knew it wouldn't break the bank.

Appearance-Very cloudy dark orange. Can see tons of carbonation, with bubbles floating up for a while. Lots of head, 3 fingers of white.

Smell-I really get alot of Banana and some spice. Can get some fig/rasion as well. The more i keep sniffing I'm really just getting the banana and spice.

Taste-Like the smell, I get alot of banana and spice. I really get the yeasty, bread characteristic as well.

Mouthfeel-Lots of carbonation, a little bit too much for me. Leaves a lasting yeast taste in my mouth.

Overall-Warm spring day, very pleasant drink. Very drinkable but very gassy. After pouring my next 10 oz or so I really stop tasting anything and feel like I'm drinking a light beer. I'm a huge hophead and it's like drinking a hazy, orange beer without any hops.

Definitely going to try some more of this style to do more comparing and contrasting. But right now, this isn't for me.

SWMeyer4141, Mar 19, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -27%

A: Pours a hazy light copper with a bubbly white head. No lacing.

S: Smells kind of musty, like a damp basement, with some lesser aromas of banana and clove.

T: Sort of a sweet bready malt taste with a bit of banana and pepper in the back. It's not bad, but not very exciting.

M: Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation.

D: I've yet to have a dunkel that has impressed me. This isn't a bad beer, but why drink this when you can have an Ayinger hefeweizen?

klewis, Jul 09, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -27%

Appearance: Hazy and dark gold (on the lightest end of the dunkelweizen spectrum). The white head is quick to melt down to nothing.

Aroma: Phenols that are equally spicy and sweet/clove-like are immediately noticeable. An unripe fruit aroma with a sulfiric quality suggests infection. May have a bad bottle on my hands.

Taste: Like bananas that have been left out a month too long. Slightly toasted malt is present. Very low bitterness. An overtly sweet caramel taste is distracting, even as a secondary flavor. The malt could be more rich for the style. Altogether, the flavor is rather light, which in this case, may be a good thing!

Mouthfeel: Medium-light, with a watery quality. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: Chock full of rotten sweetness. Still manages to be drinkable, however, probably due to the faintness of aroma and taste. Will have to try this again when I can muster the strength, to see if I had a bad bottle.

BethanyB, Aug 25, 2013

aanth, Nov 18, 2011

Kahlerbock, Jan 27, 2012

consumerjim, Sep 02, 2012

Swandog, Jan 16, 2012

I’m in a bad mood, so this beer better be good. I won’t even begin to try and figure out how to pronounce it, but in the preliminary research I did… I want to go to Germany. If nothing more than the stein filled with beer. If I ever do (and I will) make it to Germany, I will make sure to go during Oktoberfest. They have celebrations here in the states, but there is NO WAY they are the same as those Europeans. Anyway, on with the beer.

The nose on this this is HUGE. It smacked me in the face before I could even pour a glass of this stuff. It has a very familiar nose, similar to a Blue Moon or any other wheat beer you might find. But after a sip of this stuff, I will never enjoy a Blue Moon again.

There are subtle similarities… but the aftertaste is so much smoother than that of a Blue Moon (and I use Blue Moon as that’s the most popular wheat beer here in the United States.) The ABV is a bit higher than a Blue Moon, but it’s not obvious. The aftertaste is quick, but the smoothness makes up for it. You are hit with hints of spice (a weak spice at that) long after the beer has been swallowed.

There is a slight carbonation on the back half of the tongue, but just like the aftertaste it’s quick. The smoothness of this beer makes up for anything else that could go wrong. It’s a lot better than a Blue Moon, and I would totally buy another bottle of this. But I really want to drink this out of a HUGE beer stein. Let’s make that happen this October, shall we? Bottoms up people!

rickyleepotts, May 24, 2011

journeywork, Mar 29, 2014

Poured from a 500 ml bottle. Left a billowy three finger head that rather quickly dissappeared, leaving only a foam ring around the edges, and left no lacing. Body was a cloudy light brownish yellow, like cloudy apple cider. Looks okay, would like more head retention.

Smell - apples, plums, overripe fruits.

Taste - same as the smell. Apples, plums, and overripe fruits.

Mouthfeel - halfway between full and thin, fairly smooth, medium carbonation.

Drinkability - this is decent, but not great. Goes down decently, but its taste will fall apart if it gets too warm, which I think could happen a lot on a hot day, and is too bad because a wheat beer should be a summer drink...It's not bad, but I won't visit it often.

ultralarry2006, Jul 13, 2006

Jinxxor, Jul 25, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Could've fooled me, this dunkel tasted like a normal hefe. Light, airy head that dissipates slightly towards the end. Strong banana characteristics that I like. I paid the usual, 2.59 at hollingshead. I really wish there was a way I could get these German hefes a little cheaper.

drewmprs, Feb 16, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

Wow, what a head! Poured from a cold (probably too cold) refrigerated bottle and an aggressive pour yielded approximately 3" of beer and 11" of head. The head was loosely packed and quite irregular. A hazy pale ale color. The smell was nice with light doughy, banana, citrus aroma. The taste yield the same. Although I am not a fan of weisse beer, this beer seemed to add a slight ale depth to a common hefe.

dhilltop2000, Aug 13, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -24%

500ml bottle

A- A cloudy light brown/dark copper colour, actually quite clear for the style. Classic weizen foamy head, quite big with very nice retention. Near no lacing at all

S- Light but fresh bready aroma with banana notes and some faint spicy undernotes. Maybe a hint of caramel

T- Bready malts are actually on the low side. A typical banana flavour immediately gets dominant (probably too dominant). Some spicy notes (clove, maybe others) bring a little life. Some caramel notes are now clearly detectable. Decently fresh flavour, though pretty much just banana

M- Light/medium body. Carbonation is moderate but still easily detectable on the tongue. A soft mouthfeel overall, maybe a tad too watery

O- Nothing really interesting with this beer in my opinion. it fits the style, that's all

Cozzatoad, Jun 28, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -24%

500 mL bottle with no dating.

There was a big rocky head, but the color seemed a bit light for a dunkel. Oh well. Who cares about color?
There is a bubblegum-banana smell, typical of style.
Taste, however, is slightly sour, not what I'm looking for out of a wheat.
Very little about it is special. Bottomline: I wish I didn't spend $3.40 for a bottle.

pweis909, May 24, 2006
3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

500ml bottle into glass pint.
40°F

$4.99 / ea.

A: Hazy deep straw body topped with a huge rocky head of moderate retention that leaves behind light foamy lace and a rocky cover.

S: Dominated by clove spice with hints of banana ester poking through. Light flowery hop profile in the background. Pretty standard fare for a hefeweizen.

T: Sweet banana has a stronger presence here than than in the nose, but retains the same potent clove character. Just enough hop bitterness to balance and no lingering aftertaste.

M: Medium body and moderate carbonation. Light carbonic bite, and distinct smoothness throughout.

D: A bit too sweet for my taste, but the flavors and mouthfeel are spot-on for the style. Worth a try, but there are better examples if you are looking to indulge in hefeweizen.

O: I've had much better from Ayinger.

dpnelson1978, Nov 21, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

Presentation: Half-Litre brown glass bottle sealed with a crown cap which has the Ayinger logo on it. Generic dark green, yellow, gold and white Ayinger label which has a dark orange border in places. Listed as ‘Ur-Weisse’, and described as an ‘Authentic Bavarian Dunkel Weizen’. No listed strength or Best Before Date.

Appearance: Crazy paving mixture of golden flashes and light brown coppers mingle in a semi-translucent Iced Tea body which supports a dirty white partially solid head matter which slowly forms from a rescinding gigantic frothy 6” deep cap. Almost a complete absence of carbonation when the glass is tilted; yet the foamy head stays with a thick egg-white stiffness.

Nose: Rather pungent toffee-banana aromatic trails roam around the entrance to the Glass with some vanity. Breaded wheat with some cloves, crab apples and the stale whiffs that eminate from a long opened can of commercial cider that has oxidised nicely from the party the night before. Somehow very appealing though, WTF!?

Taste: Has a bit of everything, some wheat, toffee, light chocolate, milky bars and cloves – but all the flavors are rather light in strength. This is very much a low profile “under the radar” Dunkel Weizen that becomes “so-so” all too quickly. Not so much clean….. but Sterile.

Mouthfeel: Average, Mean, Mode, Median, Middle-of-the-Road, So-So, Ya Know Not Bad – Not Great, Sort of OK, Not Here, Not There, Don’t Mind, Don’t Care……

Drinkability: Difficult to get excited about this one. I drank it though…..but afterwards I fell asleep straight away and never cuddled it.

Overall: Another new offering from Ayinger that I have not tried before, cost $2.59 the same as the Bräu-Weisse; but given a choice between the two with just three bucks in my pocket I would rather go with the infinitely better Bräu-Weisse again I think. Not that bad, but a bit of a cardboard cut-out in character.

TheLongBeachBum, Aug 10, 2005