Microbrew Invitational

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002

Reviews: 561 | Ratings: 1,086
3.6/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a cloudy, light brown with a one finger head that stayed around as a skin over the top, throughout. The aroma was over ripe bananas. The taste was wheaty banana and sweet, not bad. Feel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. The drinkability is good.

3.59/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance = dark copper, hazy, medium carbonation

Nose = fruity, floral. The pleasant smell was apparent 2 feet from the glass

Taste = tangy, hint of smoke, wheat carries the day since the hops don't register for me. Still, nice flavor for a summertime beer, with that hint of smoke I bet it would be good with BBQ

Mouthfeel. Short finish, medium mouthfeel

Decent brew, if they'll cut the price in half I'll buy it twice as often.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured into a 0.5 liter Ayinger weizen glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As poured the beer is hazed medium dark maple brown with a ½" off-white head that recedes slowly leaving little or nothing clinging to the glass. Sipping leave a partial ring of foam, some small patches and legs of lacing, most all of which slide back down into the foam on the liquid.

Smell: The aroma is bubble gum all the way, There's a bit of apple and spice mixed in.

Taste: The flavor is mostly what you'd expect from the nose--lots of bubble gum with traces of apple and spice. There's also a fair amount sweetness from the wheat and malt and no traces of hop bitterness to speak off. The alcohol is well concealed on this one.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is light to medium bodied and smooth, with moderate persistent carbonation that keeps the head alive to the end of the beer. The finish is reasonably long and ends in dry light bitterness.

Drinkability: On a hot summer day this starts out to be nicely drinkable. However I'm finding that by about half way through the glass there is just a bit too much sweetness here so I have to take it fairly slowly to avoid having the beer cloy and be too much. Having a tasting of the Ayinger Brau Weisse highlights the fact that that beer is much lighter and more delicately flavored than is this one. While I enjoyed this beer I don' think I'll be making a great effort to find it and drink it again..

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Hazy/opaque amber copper color, poured with a thick foamy head that sustained for several minutes before receding to a thin layer that left some lacing.

S: Caramel wheat, yeast, banana, clove.

T&M: This beer is subtle but has some substantial flavors in it, most notably the strong banana flavors that come in about halfway through. First get hit with some sweetness and caramel flavors, followed by the banana, finished yeasty with some clove. Very enjoyable, smooth and well balanced. Medium bodied, and very easy to drink.

D: High. I like this beer, it is very refreshing and smooth. I could knock back a bunch of these.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

500mL bottle purchased for $3.30 - I think it was from Wine Emporium in Boston. Freshness unknown. An interesting pour into a weisse glass. Started off light, getting much darker as the bottom of the bottle was poured in. Although I swished the end of the bottle lots to shake up the sediment, there were still numerous chunks in the glass... so I stirred it with a spoon! My first time ever doing that. The end product is a cloudy grey-gold. Medium aroma of a typical weisse - yeast, banana and bubblegum. Taste is solid. Quite yeasty, which gives it a bit more of a spicy character perhaps than some other weisses.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: Cloudy, golden-brown. Fluffy white head that held its own for a while. Slight lacing.

Smell: Slight malt with a hint of spice and banana. Smells almost like banana bread but not as fragrant as you would think.

Taste: Somewhat spicy, can definitely taste the malt with a touch of bananas at the end.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with some mild carbonation. Not as intense as the Brau-Weisse in my opinion.

Drinkability: This beer is very drinkable and doesn't have an overpowering banana/clove taste that I am used to.

Overall Ur-Weisse is pretty good. I would like to have seen a darker more malty character to this brew. This beer was only slightly darker than the Brau-Weisse but I would have to say that I prefer this brew over that one.

3.57/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Ayinger Ur-Weisse is by far the lightest Dunkelweizen I've sampled, pouring a light copper hue. Coincidentally, it reminds me somewhat of my favorite American Dunkelweizen, New Glarus's Copper Kettle, in appearance.

S: Unlike most Dunkelweizens, which are clove-forward in aroma, this is much more balanced between the clove and banana. A slight yeast bite, typical of a Hefe, rounds out the aroma.

T: Just as the aroma is more banana-forward with the Ayinger, so is the flavor. And as the appearance would suggest, it's much closer to the flavor of a traditional flavor than are most Dunekweizens. You get the flavor of wheat bread mixed with some banana and just a little nuttiness to tell you it's not a regular Hefe. It's also a bit sweeter than a standard Hefe, with some caramel notes present. A good beer, don't get me wrong; it's just not "Dunkel" enough for my taste...

M: Effervescent like any other Weizen.

D: Light and refreshing... a great session beer.

Overall: A nice change of pace from a regular Hefeweizen, and maybe a good introduction to the style for those who don't like darker beers. For those looking for a significant departure from the Hefeweizen style, however, you might want to look elsewhere.

3.57/5  rDev -11.6%

500 ml (16.9 ounce) bottle, from Wilbur's in Fort Collins, CO, $2.49.

Somewhat disappointing pour. Very little head that fell off quickly. Cloudy dark amber.

Smell of malty bread dough with a bit of clove.

Taste is a bit more sour than I would have anticipated. Peppery, clovey. Even as it warms, there's not much banana ester or citrus.

Decent enough mouthfeel, but a bit thinner than I would look for.

Pretty drinkable. This would go well with a big Bavarian meal. But there's just not enough there.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment for me. Not bad, but not that great either.

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very large frothy head. A dark amber hue to what's a dominant pale golden body.

Smell is very heavy on the cloves. Bananas also make a light addition.

Bubble gum and banana are the two most dominant flavors I pick up. The cloves are here, but hidden by these two bigger players.

Light but chewy nice smooth lager mouthfeel. I'm a big fan of the style, but this one just didn't hit it with me.

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured a slightly hazy medium brown with a good 2 finger head. Good head retention and lacing in my glass.

Smell: Banana banana banana. I've had beers before with a slight hint of banana, but this is by far the overwhelming scent my nose picked up with this beer.

Mostly banana again in the taste, with perhaps a slight pine showing up later.

Nothing special in the mouthfeel, smooth but not lively.

This is a very drinkable beer. Perhaps the banana masks the alcohol content. It's a very smooth and drinkable beer with an unusual but good taste. I'd pick this up again and offer it to friends.

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

Orange/gold colour with big head , the nose was old banana and cloves. The tastes was like a regular Hefe on steroids. In fact the bigness of the typical Hefe flavours kind of detracts from the drinkability. ( Though i realize that the regular Hefe is in the lineup as is less in your face.) However, this is a wellmade beer that is not afraid to pump up the Hefe notes.

3.54/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pours with a finger of rich head. Dark orange color with a muddy transparensy. Above average active carbonation in glass while drinking.

Smell: full bodied wheat aroma macks the drinker right away. Brighter bodied fruits warm up in the body. Lots of doughy bready yeast round out the aroma well. A solid undertone of exotic spices runs throughout.

Taste: creamy malt hits up front with accents of sweet caramel and molasses with a light to medium depth fruit body. The fruits continue to darken and dance on the palate throughout. High carbonation brings a ton of the lighter accents out. Chewy malt left behind on the palate.

Mouthfeel: big carbonation is king here. Huge bubbly feeling brings the brighter fruits out with lingering yeast body as well.

Overall: much brighter for a dark weizen then I expected. This brew was filled with bubbly fruits and medium bodied breast malt tones. Slow sipper due to the big carbonation factor.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Golden pour with plenty of white head that stayed until the end.

Smell - Citrus and hops.

Taste - Caramel citrus with decent hops.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, not watery. I'd say it's a medium body.

Drinkability - It was alright, above average but not memorable.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Nice pomegranate/cranberry color with a nice head. Smells sweet and spicy and cloves. Taste is light and not heavy at all. Very little body which is surprising. Can definitely taste the wheat and reminds me if champagne. Almost like a Belgium lambic. Very nice refreshing beer

3.52/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a light orange with thick creamy off white head. Not much hops aroma nor much malt-which is no problem with the being a wheat. I pick up a strong orange juice taste-sweet with a touch of OJ. Mouthfeel is light and drinkablity is high. I like this beer and I think I was expecting more of a "american" dark wheat-but none the less nice beer.

3.51/5  rDev -13.1%

500 mL bottle, poured into a weizen glass. Orangish amber color, nice haze, thick beige head. Aroma is standard banana and clove, with a hint of lemon and caramel. Flavor is bananas, vanilla, egg nog, and clove. Similar notes to most other dunkelweizens but it is not fitting together quite right for me compared to the elite versions of the style. Good creamy mouthfeel and good drinkability.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my big weizen glass.

A - Lighter than I expected. Nice head, but no lacing whatsoever.

S - I get smoke and cloves.

T - Wheat (obviously), bananas, cloves, smoke.

M - Somewhat watery, but no different than what I expect from a wheat beer.

D - I could have another, although the smoke is somewhat off-putting.

3.49/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a beautifully cloudy muddy amber, as all dunkel heffers should. I would tell you about the head, but I apparantly turned my back for 15 seconds - and it was gone. Nothing creamy about this one, very 'champagne'.

Dunkel malts smell really nice, along with promising upfront bitters.

Initial taste is a bit mediciney, but a dry medium body doesn't give the notion much time to live. The taste is best right after the swallow, and again far down the line - there is a bit of sweetness after all the bitterness fades.

Fairly drinkable, thanks to the non-existant traces of alcohol. Tempered by one's respective love for astringent bitters. Could go down very well indeed on a hot day with some grilled sausages!

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a somewhat hazy copper/amber color with a big blooming head,the aroma is of roasted malt and green apple background,pretty interesting.The taste is spicey and a litle smokey with some lingering fruitiness in the finish.This beer has alot of different flavora,pretty complex and pretty darn good.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured this into a Sam Adams pint glass.

It pours a cloudy golden straw. Poured a 2" head that slowly crackled away to a thin layer of foam that lasted ¾ of the way down. The foam stuck to the sides of the glass. It had an oily surface. (Poured it at a temperature of 55 degrees F)

The smell reminded me of straw; it had a meadow aroma. The taste was similar to its aroma. It had a very mellow taste and body, kind of dry. Very drinkable. Overall it had a country quality to it.

I'm glad I tried it, and I will probably purchase it again, but for now I will be moving on in search of other dunkelweizens.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I need more excuses to use my awesome Ayinger weizen glass.

APPEARANCE: Pours a hazy golden amber with a white 2-finger head. The head does drop fairly quickly to a full surface coating with good retention. I thought it'd be darker.

SMELL: The banana and clove esters are there but in smaller quantities than one would expect. In their place is a fairly strong toasted malt note without any chocolate or caramel notes.

TASTE: Much like the smell, the esters are subdued. One thing that's striking is that you don't really pick up any wheat flavors, but instead get moderately kilned barley. Yes, I realize that's what a dunkelweizen is supposed to be, but one can hardly tell it's a wheat beer. Finally in the finish, the sweet banana-y wheat comes out and lightens the beer up.

MOUTHFEEL: Fairly light and fluffy with a high, spritzy carbonation. Nothing is off here. Well done.

DRINKABILITY: It still hits the spot on a hot summer day (and it's after Memorial Day and 75° so I'm classifying today as such). That said, I prefer a dunkleweizen that is more estery and chocolaty (a halfway point between hefeweizen and weizenbock).

I can't help but think that Ur-Weisse is just a worse version of the Bräu-Weisse (excuse the cross-style comparison). I've had better dunkelweizens though, and I'll probably stick to other versions in the future.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

17 oz bottle: Aroma is a bready, yeast, roasted caramel malt, light fruits, and spices. Appearance is a murky brown with a thin off white head that diminishes into a soapy film at the top of the glass. Taste is rather effervescent with a bubbly apple and and rather mild caramel malt taste with the yeast present in the the taste as well. Other flavors are clove, some banana, and bread. Overall, It's a very drinkable Dunkelweizen. Wheat and with a nice wiezen texture.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

A drinkable Weiss, for sure, but falls short of a good Dunkel. Plenty phenols and appropriate lactic-hefe vibe, yet not enough malt depth to achieve darkwheat status. In the end, tasty, but lacking.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured into a hefeweizen glass.
Pours a nice copper color with a rocky white head. While pouring it I got a nice whiff of bananas.
Sticking my nose in the glass I can smell all the toasty maltiness, grains, yeast, pepper, bananas and cloves. This beer doesn't have quite as much banana smell as other hefeweizens I've tried but it is present.
Taste is overall a bit thin for me, but good nonetheless. It rolls onto the tongue with lots of carbonation and a bit of bready maltiness, followed by a bit of fruityness/banana and more malt. There is a subtle hoppiness and the finish is rather tart, almost acidic.
This beer starts out nicely and has many nice components, but doesn't come together for me. The tart finish leaves me wanting but overall this beer is pleasant to drink.

3.47/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a Weizen glass. The beer is medium-orange color, some what murky from the yeast. A nice white head with forms with a good amount of bubbles rising in the glass.

The smell is very sweet...bananna is the strongest aroma. Maybe another fruit is in there plus plenty of wheat.

The first taste is smooth and refreshing. Bananaa is the first flavor on the palate, then something mildy spicy. It's a very good contrast. Very creamy finish in the mouth. Highly drinkable

This is my first Dunkel Weizen and I look forward to tasting more beers in this style. I would definately buy this beer again.

Ayinger Ur-Weisse from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying