Ayinger Ur-Weisse - Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Ur-WeisseAyinger Ur-Weisse

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ayinger Ur-Weisse Alström Bros

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

16.9oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a hazy apricot-orange with a foamy off white head.

Aroma is quite fruity upfront, banana being the most predominant, but balanced nicely with other assorted fruit notes. Has a light, clove-y Weizen yeast finish.

A pleasant taste, some light fruit and clove. A bit subdued overall though.

A medium body with a fair bit of prickly carbonation.

Very nice nose, but the tastes were a bit subdued, and the carbonation was just a bit much at times.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

I picked this beer up in my pursuit of reviewing all 104 styles. I like the Ayinger offerings in the past, and I felt like this would be the best choice to fit the style.

I saw hefeweizen on the label, and I immediately went looking for banana esthers when I opened the bottle. I didn't get any then, but I did get a decent dose in my first sip.

I put this beer up against italian, and it performed well with the olive oil, tomato sauce, and balsamic vinegar. I like the balance of banana, a little sour, and breadyness. This is a very good beer. You can even get it pretty easily.

4.53/5  rDev +11%

MMurky copper orange in color with yellow hues on the edges of the glass. Poured with a thick, dense foam that slowly reduced to a thick cap. Sweet fruit and banana aromas with hints of wheat and clove. Crisp feel with aggressive yet delicate carbonation. Sweet fruit and banana flavors up front with banana flavors intensifying through the middle. A touch of clove in the middle to the finish. finishes crisp and dry. Very refreshing and enjoyable.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

banana rushes the palate on this one, foamy white head hangs out, some peanut butter on the mid palate, nice citrus characteristics on the sides, spice notes can be found on the quick finish, spring and summer in a glass.

overall, this is an easy drinking beer, could have had a longer finish, but a great showing of the style.

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

500mL bottle, no date

appears a cloudy rust color with orange highlights. 1" white head that fades down to a thin covering, but good retention. spicey aroma of clove, with the typical banana notes, but not quite as much as regular hefeweizens.

similar taste to the aroma, wheat dominates but is a bit muted by some darker malt. smooth body, medium carbonation.

overall - I like this style better than most hefeweizens, and it seems to fit the style description to a t

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A - This beer pours a dark golden orange copper color. There are some bright golden highlights at the bottom of the glass. There is about three fingers of white pillowy head on top. The head doesn't last long, and there is just a little bit of lace left behind. This beer is just awesome looking.

S - The nose has a good amount of bready malt. There is a nice banana aroma, as well as some cove, dark fruits, and some floral notes.

T - The taste follows the nose. It starts out with some sweet malt and wheat flavors. There is a good bit of banana and clove, as well as some subtle dark fruit flavors. There is a nice toastiness to it, and some yeasty esters. The finish leaves some lingering wheat, banana, and clove.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down really easy, and it has a super smooth feel to it. There is some initial sweetness as well as some spices. There are some yeasty esters, and a very little bit of bitterness on the back end. I thought this was pretty refreshing, and it just goes down really easily.

O - This has good drinkability. It has really nice flavor, and I would have no problem downing a few glasses of this, especially on a nice warm day. Overall, I think it is a really nice beer, and a good representation of the style. I'm not the most familiar with dunkelweizens, but I look forward to trying more. Anyways, I recommend checking this one out, I would buy again.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Had this beer at my in-laws house once when I had already drank for a while. Even in my inebriated state, I said to myself "damn self, that's a good beer. We gotta try that one when we get sober." Fast forward a few months, hanging at the liquor store, and I remember...Ayinger! Poured from the bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance - Pours a medium brown, almost orange color with a towering, dominating, intimidating four finger head that is like whipped cream. Although the head didn't last long and there wasn't much lacing, this beer is to appearance what Arnold was to symmetry in bodybuilding. Impressive!

Smell - The nose is a strong malty/banana/bread smell. I knew as soon as I took a whiff that this beer would not disappoint.

Taste - Follows the nose to a T. Heavy on the bread, bananas and other light fruit, malty finish. I swear it tasted to me like banana bread, with a dash of excellence. This is an incredible taste.

Mouthfeel - Good strong finish, have the aftertaste of malts and barley streaming all the way up through my sinus cavities. This a beer that lets you know you are drinking a good strong beer from the Deutschland, not some industrial pee-water mass production garbage. Man those guys know how to make a beer.

Overall - Incredible. Wonderful. This beer is highly recommended no matter your tastes. This will overwhelm you with awesomeness. I am impressed.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer pours a cloudy dark orange color. The head is a billowy three inches in height, and recedes slowly into two inches of fluffy foam that sticks in chunks to the sides of the glass, and lasts until the beer is gone. The aroma is of tons of cloves, and ample bananas with a hint of roasted malt. The taste is more balanced between the banana and clove elements with some nice malt tones underneath. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a chewy texture, and appropriately high carbonation. Overall, this is a great beer that I will surely drink again.

Ayinger Ur-Weisse from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying